opacity of Ubuntu

rabiticide

Nov 11, 2008, 4:49:52 AM11/11/08
I am having the same frustrations with Ubuntu that I used to feel
towards Windows. Is it just me, or did they make Ubuntu hard to
Monkey with?

My specific problem is this: My "add/remove software" option just
disappeared and so did my synaptic package manager. This has to be
something easy. What is the folder which contain links from the GUI
"Applications" and "system" drop ups?

rK

Bill Marcum

Nov 11, 2008, 10:07:59 AM11/11/08

You can still use the command line to run synaptic, unless it's been
uninstalled, in that case you can get it back with apt-get. I'm not sure
what the real name of the "add/remove software" app is, but it shouldn't
be too hard to find out.

--
They can't stop us... we're on a mission from God!
-- The Blues Brothers

propman

Nov 11, 2008, 11:14:35 AM11/11/08

Right click on the bar --> Edit Menus

rabiticide

Nov 11, 2008, 2:16:22 PM11/11/08
weird behavior

I did the right click -> edit menu like you said and I saw the
options I wanted. I checked "add/remove" and two seconds later my
check mark disappeared!? I did the same thing with synaptic package
manager - I checked the box, count to two, and my check disappears. I
tried "apt-get install synaptic" as root and it tells me it's already
installed, so that's not the problem...

rK

propman

Nov 12, 2008, 12:00:01 AM11/12/08

Haven't run across this problem before (google has some hits with
respect to this problem though)....so the following suggestions are off
the cuff..........

Might want to check your display settings (ie Compiz if you have it
turned on)

Try reinstalling your desktop:

sudo apt-get --reinstall install ubuntu-desktop

Just in case you weren't aware, there is a Ubuntu newsgroup:

alt.os.linux.ubuntu

habibielwa7id

Nov 12, 2008, 12:29:06 PM11/12/08

-My point of view about ubuntu
I really advice the new users to use ubuntu because I think it's may
be the easiest Linux distribution to deal with and really many times
before I made some cds of ubuntu to some friends, But
ubuntu not stable like the most stable Linux distributions like Debian
or Redhat clones, Some of my colleagues use ubuntu and really faced
some stability problems with some things like thunderbird and
partitions, One of my friends once lost all his partition after a
power failure while the ubuntu was booting, Another body wasn't able
to mount his partitions after some months after installing ubuntu
although he is professional and tried many ways to fix the partitions,
Also I saw some online complains about ubuntu before.
I really think ubuntu isn't stable enough because they really update
there software very fast, Without enough period of time for testing,
Look to Debian for example and ubunu is derivative from it, They
really do enough testing before release anything .
Regards,

notbob

Nov 14, 2008, 1:29:11 PM11/14/08
On 2008-11-12, habibielwa7id <foua...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I really think ubuntu isn't stable enough because they really update

Try slackware. Very stable and transparent.

nb

habibielwa7id

Nov 16, 2008, 3:54:26 AM11/16/08
On Nov 14, 8:29 pm, notbob <not...@nothome.com> wrote:

> On 2008-11-12, habibielwa7id <fouad...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I really think ubuntu isn't stable enough because they really update
>
> Try slackware.  Very stable and transparent.
>
> nb

I didn't try Slackware before but I think it's nice because many
people say so, I really work mainly with RedHat systems, And Debian, I
think really they are the best, The only problem with Slackware as I
think it will depend on you to do many things wish is more easier on
RedHat or Debian to do, It's just will take more time to do things.
Regards,

Rui Maciel

Nov 16, 2008, 5:38:56 AM11/16/08
rabiticide wrote:

> I am having the same frustrations with Ubuntu that I used to feel
> towards Windows. Is it just me, or did they make Ubuntu hard to
> Monkey with?

I don't think so. Ubuntu may have added a few GUI applications to perform tasks such as managing software repositories but those apps are, like a lot of custom applications built by other distributions, nothing more than front-ends to command line software tools. If you want to monkey with ubuntu then it is just as easy as any other linux distribution.

> My specific problem is this: My "add/remove software" option just
> disappeared and so did my synaptic package manager. This has to be
> something easy. What is the folder which contain links from the GUI
> "Applications" and "system" drop ups?

You problem strikes me as odd, as it hasn't much do to with "monkeying with" a linux distribution. Well, unless your definition of "monkeying" means something in the line of "I'm fed up with windows and I would like to try something different".

Nonetheless, if you want to add and remove software then just abandon synaptic, adept or any other GUI front-end. Just roll up your sleeves and use apt-get directly. It is vastly more powerful than any GUI front-end (they end up cutting off all sorts of functionality) and once you get the hang of it you will end up getting things done a whole lot faster than before.

Rui Maciel

John Hasler

Nov 16, 2008, 8:08:55 AM11/16/08
Rui Maciel writes:
> Nonetheless, if you want to add and remove software then just abandon
> synaptic, adept or any other GUI front-end. Just roll up your sleeves and
> use apt-get directly.

Or use Aptitude. It has both a command-line and an interactive curses
interface and is more powerful that apt-get and friends.
--
John Hasler
jo...@dhh.gt.org

Rui Maciel

Nov 16, 2008, 9:11:02 AM11/16/08
John Hasler wrote:

> Or use Aptitude. It has both a command-line and an interactive curses
> interface and is more powerful that apt-get and friends.

I've never used aptitude before. What does aptitude does that apt-get doesn't? Isn't aptitude a front-end to the apt-get family of tools?

Rui Maciel

John Hasler

Nov 16, 2008, 10:44:58 AM11/16/08
Rui Maciel writes:
> I've never used aptitude before. What does aptitude does that apt-get
> doesn't? Isn't aptitude a front-end to the apt-get family of tools?

apt is a library that adds dependency resolution and other things to dpkg
(which apt calls to do actual packaging system operations). The "apt-get
family of tools" is a set of command-line programs that use the apt
library. Aptitude is a curses-based program that uses the apt library (it
now reportedly has a pointy-clicky GUI). Synaptic is another program
(pointy-clicky) that uses apt.

Balwinder S Dheeman

Nov 16, 2008, 12:08:43 PM11/16/08
On 11/16/2008 09:14 PM, John Hasler wrote:
> Rui Maciel writes:
>> I've never used aptitude before. What does aptitude does that apt-get
>> doesn't? Isn't aptitude a front-end to the apt-get family of tools?
>
> apt is a library that adds dependency resolution and other things to dpkg
> (which apt calls to do actual packaging system operations). The "apt-get
> family of tools" is a set of command-line programs that use the apt
> library. Aptitude is a curses-based program that uses the apt library (it
> now reportedly has a pointy-clicky GUI). Synaptic is another program
> (pointy-clicky) that uses apt.

But you still can't entirely remove and, or get rid of apt-get front end
or let me say that aptitude and, or synaptic is not a true replacement
or alternative to apt-get like smain. maxim, postfix and, or qmail are
for sendmail, so why use aptitude or synaptic as a front?

Anu'z Linux@HOME (Unix Shoppe) Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192
Chandigarh, UT, 160062, India Gentoo, Fedora, Debian/FreeBSD/XP

John Hasler

Nov 16, 2008, 12:49:53 PM11/16/08
Balwinder S Dheeman writes:
> But you still can't entirely remove and, or get rid of apt-get front
> end...

Yes you can (but there is no reason you would want to and you wouldn't like
the result). The apt-get program is part of the apt package which is
you out of it.

> ...or let me say that aptitude and, or synaptic is not a true replacement
> or alternative to apt-get...

Yes it is. Unlike the MTAs you mention they do not conflict so you can
have all three at once.

> ...so why use aptitude or synaptic as a front?

Those are front-ends to apt, not to apt-get, and they present very
different user interfaces which some people prefer. You are free to use
apt-get or even dselect or dpkg directly if you prefer. The presence of
one front-end does not preclude the use of another, or none at all.

Balwinder S Dheeman

Nov 16, 2008, 10:09:33 PM11/16/08

Well, I have been using dpkg, dselect, apt-get since long and needed to
use/teach synaptic for/to a few customers at remote locations. I wanted
and have switched over to aptitude since I learned that it is good
alternative to apt-get. But when on seeing aptitude has become a
mainstream/stable package and being shipped with almost flavors of
Debian or Debian like distros, I tried to remove/purge apt:

ii apt 0.7.16+b1 Advanced front-end for dpkg

Which provides *apt-get*, I was slapped with a WARNING that if you
remove 'apt' your system will/can become instable.

I think, neither the synaptic nor aptitudue is a true alternative to
apt/apt-get. So I removed both the synaptic and aptitude and reverted
back to using apt/apt-get itself, because I don't want to keep and, or
maintain a pile of such packages which have nothing to do with the
routine functioning of my systems.