No sound from Ensoniq es1371 sound card

peter_ger...@yahoo.com

Dec 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/5/99

Having trouble configuring an Ensoniq es1371 on RH 6.0 linux-2.2.5-15?
I have recompiled my kernel several times in an attempt to get the card
working with my system. It appears that the card loads regardless of
whether I link it directly to the kernel or compile it as a module.
IRQ=11 and io=0x1080. These are the same parameters used by win98 which
I have dual booted on my system. The card works fine under win98, and I
hear that it will work just as well with Linux but I'm not there yet.
I've used sndconfig which sees the card but I get no audible sound when
it tests it. I've tried selecting es1370 as well as some of the
soundblaster modules just for kicks and that action either crashes the
sndconfig program or simply has no effect. I've also tried using
"modprobe -k es1371" to no avail. The system takes the command just
fine but I still get nothing when I run an audio cd. /etc/conf.modules
seems to be set up appropriately for es1371. I've checked
/var/logs/messages and get indications that all is ok regarding loading
sound there. Speakers are turned on and plugged in just as they are for
win98. One thing that troubles me is although I'm not seeing much in
the way of errors being reported, when I try and cat /dev/sndstat I get
"no such device" or something like that. I also don't seem to have the
lspci command as root. Nothing in whereis and didn't show up using find.

I've got a PIII 500 and a Toshiba 6x DVD drive. Question: if the card
seems to load and the cdrom program appears to work but I get no sound
either from it or from the sound files used by the sndconfig command,
could it be that the problem lies elsewhere? Are there device drivers
for either my speakers or the DVD/cdrom drive that are perhaps a little
out of the ordinary but required especially for my ensoniq 1371 card.
I're read some things that seem to suggest that a special cdrom driver
is needed that will interface with SoundBlaster cards. If it's not used
the card won't play. I understand that Ensoniq somehow or another is
closely related to SoundBlaster. It gives me the idea that although my
cdrom is working it may not be producing output the sound card can use.
Maybe there's an issue like that with my speakers too??? I don't know
and neither does RH support. Help please if you know. I'll post the
solution when I get one.

Thanks,
pjg

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

mircea

Dec 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/5/99

One common problem many people have with sound is the master volume
being muted by default. Fire a mixer app and check this.

MST

Eric Hardisty

Dec 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/5/99
> Thanks,
> pjg
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

I have the exact same problem. I'm running an AMD K6-II with a 40X
CD-ROM. I can't get any sound either. Ensoniq was bought by
SoundBlaster. The sound card is assigned to IRQ 11 as well. The output
of dmesg relating to the card is:

es1371: version v0.13 time 18:53:02 Dec 5 1999
es1371: found adapter at io 0xfcc0 irq 11
es1371: features: joystick 0x0
PCI: Enabling bus mastering for device 00:58
es1371: codec vendor CRY revision 19
es1371: codec features Headphone out 20bit DAC 18bit ADC
es1371: stereo enhancement: Crystal Semiconductor 3D Stereo Enhancement
Sound initialization started
Sound initialization complete

/dev/sndstat tells me the following. I do have the driver compiled into
the kernel, but it doens't tell me that the card is configured.
sndstatOSS/Free:3.8s2++-971130
Load type: Driver compiled into kernel
Kernel: Linux hardisty 2.2.12-20 #4 Sun Dec 5 18:50:41 EST 1999 i586
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:

Card config:

Audio devices:

Synth devices:

Midi devices:

Timers:
0: System clock

Mixers:

Can anybody help?
If a default mute setting is the problem, how can I change that?

Eric

Dances With Crows

Dec 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/5/99
peter_ger...@yahoo.com wrote:

> Having trouble configuring an Ensoniq es1371 on RH 6.0 linux-2.2.5-15?
> I have recompiled my kernel several times in an attempt to get the card
> working with my system. It appears that the card loads regardless of

Hmm. Well, OSS/pay supports that card, I know for sure... I have one of
those and bought OSS/pay because I was new to Linux and such. OSS/pay,
oddly enough, required that I upgrade the kernel to 2.2.10 before it
even considered working with the card. After that, it worked great.

I suppose you could try getting OSS's demo from their website and see if
that works/+ tells you useful info. www.4front.com ; free but only
works for 20 minutes at a time. Yech.

To get the mixer device working, there are many options. kmix is the
default for those running KDE; "apropos mix" to see what command-line
mixers are installed. There's probably a really good one for GNOME,
too, but I can't remember its name offhand.

HTH,
--MG

jacob waltz

Dec 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/5/99
peter_ger...@yahoo.com wrote:

> Having trouble configuring an Ensoniq es1371 on RH 6.0 linux-2.2.5-15?
> I have recompiled my kernel several times in an attempt to get the card
> working with my system. It appears that the card loads regardless of

i am using a soundblaster 16 pci card in my RH 6.0 box. this card
uses the ensoniq 1371 driver. i didn't do anything special to get
it working - basically installed the card, recompiled the kernel,
rebooted, and it worked. my kernel is 2.2.5-15 (the card also worked
with 2.2.13). the boot messages:

es1371: version v0.10 time 15:12:10 Dec 1 1999
es1371: found adapter at io 0xb800 irq 10
es1371: features: joystick 0x0
es1371: codec vendor TRA revision 3
es1371: codec features none
es1371: stereo enhancement: no 3D stereo enhancement

i have the driver compiled directly into the kernel, not as a module
(not that that should matter). and i also get 'No such device' when
doing cat /dev/sndstat.

HTH.
--
waltz at vivaldi dot gmu dot edu

Benoit Maricau

Dec 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/6/99
I had similar problems using my SB128 PCI (Ensonic 1371) on Athlon-500. In fact,
if I used 'cat sample.au > /dev/audio', I could hear something very distorded,
but with the 'play' command, everything works fine. The audio card is also
supported when using e-sound (Enlightenment).

I think I can say that I only have problems with programs using the ALSA drivers
(KDE system sounds, kmix, ...) which are not compatible with the es1371 module
of the kernel. When modprobing the second module, you will get the 'driver or
resource busy' message.

One way to remedy to this problem is to use the ALSA drivers (free in comparison
with OSS) in place of the kernel driver. Don't forget to read the doc before
reconfiguring the /etc/modules.conf file.

Good luck,
--
Benoit MARICAU

Gerald O. Painter

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
I struggled with this for weeks. It turned out that my Boston Acoustics
speakers had two cables--one for digital soundcard output and one for
analog. The digital output worked fine in Win98 but could not be heard in
Linux. The analog output could be heard in both Linux and Win98. The Linux
driver was working all along and I didn't even know it.

It may not be your problem but my Gateway PIII 550 had both a digital and an
analog cable for the speaker which plugged into the woofer. Use the analog
output.

<peter_ger...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Gavin Liu

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
Oh, My God! It seemed I found the way to let my SB128 PCI card run with
YOUR help. But could you please to me more detail about replacing the
ALSA driver with kernel driver? I am new to Linux. ): Help me.

Thank you very much.

pger...@my-deja.com

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99
Well that was pretty silly,,, thanks Gerald, you rock! I had completely
forgotten about the dual mode output from this card. I too have a
Gateway box with BA speakers hooked into this card. I was using the
digital line that worked great with win98. Dusted off and installed the
analog line that came with my setup and "voila!" Things sound great but
I'd like to get digital working too if I can. I take it you declared
victory and left it at that? My guess is it's merely a matter of
getting a driver that supports digital too? I've looked at the ALSA
site some but nothing jumped out at me as solving the digital output
issue here. Perhaps another post is in order relative to that item.

Thanks again,
pjg

In article <Em%24.485$S4.2...@newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net>,

Benoit Maricau

Dec 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/9/99
Gavin Liu wrote:

> Oh, My God! It seemed I found the way to let my SB128 PCI card run with
> YOUR help. But could you please to me more detail about replacing the
> ALSA driver with kernel driver? I am new to Linux. ): Help me.
>
> Thank you very much.

I guess you mean replacing kernel driver by ALSA driver.

Hereafter, you can see my soundcard configuration (in /etc/conf.modules). This
configuration ensure compatibility with OSS-lite drivers.

# ISA PnP support (not really required since sb128 is a PCI card)
# take care not to reserve irq's you need for other non-ISAPnP drivers
options isapnp isapnp_reserve_irq=9,10,11,12,13

# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-audiopci
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
options snd snd_major=116 snd_cards_limit=1 # I only have one soundcard
options snd-audiopci snd_index=1 snd_id="sb128pci" # not really required

# OSS/Lite portion
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm1-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm1-oss

# end sound configuration

This configuration supports features as mixer, midi, ...

After correcting your /etc/conf.modules, run 'depmod -a' and 'rcalsasound start'
(not sure of that last command). Then try to play some audio files.

If you have a 2.2 kernel, it *MUST* support sound as module to be sure it will
work.

Joe Manojlovich

Dec 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/18/99
To make everyone's life easier, just run "sndconfig" from the command
line, as root. No need to recompile or figure out which modules to load.
Redhat only, of course.

Joe Manojlovich
jxm...@psu.edu

T. Pukeiti

Dec 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/19/99
Joe Manojlovich wrote:

> To make everyone's life easier, just run "sndconfig" from the command
> line, as root. No need to recompile or figure out which modules to load.
> Redhat only, of course.
>
> Joe Manojlovich
> jxm...@psu.edu

Hi. I have the same sound card running under RedHat 6.0 on a Pentium II 350.
The previous reply is the way I installed it on my system. That is, run
sndconfig from a command line as root. The card was autodetected correctly.

Cheers
Tim