2.6.18 kernel, AMD 690S and ACPI

1 view

Gary Dale

Jun 2, 2007, 4:58:37 PM6/2/07
I've got an ASUS M2A-VM HDMI mainboard with an AMD64X2 3800+ processor
that I've installed Debian/Etch on. Everything works fine, almost,
except for the ACPI function. If I set acpi=on or acpi=force, I get a
kernel panic when booting. If I set acpi=off, the machine doesn't turn
itself off when shutting down (and presumably other power management
functions are also blocked).

Any ideas?

Darren Salt

Jun 2, 2007, 7:20:38 PM6/2/07
I demand that Gary Dale may or may not have written...

> I've got an ASUS M2A-VM HDMI mainboard with an AMD64X2 3800+ processor that
> I've installed Debian/Etch on. Everything works fine, almost, except for
> the ACPI function. If I set acpi=on or acpi=force, I get a kernel panic
> when booting.

Details?

> If I set acpi=off, the machine doesn't turn itself off when shutting down
> (and presumably other power management functions are also blocked).

> Any ideas?

Given the lack of info about the panic, all that I think can reasonably be
suggested is that you try 2.6.21 from testing/unstable and/or check for a
BIOS upgrade.

| + Travel less. Share transport more. PRODUCE LESS CARBON DIOXIDE.

Oh, I couldn't afford a whole new brain.

Gary Dale

Jun 2, 2007, 11:47:08 PM6/2/07
Darren Salt wrote:
> I demand that Gary Dale may or may not have written...
>
>> I've got an ASUS M2A-VM HDMI mainboard with an AMD64X2 3800+ processor that
>> I've installed Debian/Etch on. Everything works fine, almost, except for
>> the ACPI function. If I set acpi=on or acpi=force, I get a kernel panic
>> when booting.
>
> Details?
>
>> If I set acpi=off, the machine doesn't turn itself off when shutting down
>> (and presumably other power management functions are also blocked).
>
>> Any ideas?
>
> Given the lack of info about the panic, all that I think can reasonably be
> suggested is that you try 2.6.21 from testing/unstable and/or check for a
> BIOS upgrade.

Never mind. I switched to Ubuntu Feisty Fawn (2.6.20 kernel instead of
2.6.18 in Etch) and that resolved all the problems I had been having.