ppp over serial with dial in functionality

zix

Sep 7, 2009, 10:54:08 AM9/7/09
Hi Everybody,
I am supporting pppos for our target box. As we
have 1 single serial for console and pppos, so I am blocking getty in /
etc/inittab. Now, I have to support the dial in functionality. I think
for this support, we need to run agetty/mgetty. Can anybody give some
idea how to go about this? I am wondering if I run getty, can ppp over
serial run? I thing its possible, but now idea how to go about it. Any
help wil be great.

Thanks a lot for your time,
zix

zix

Sep 7, 2009, 10:59:22 AM9/7/09
>>>sorry, not the entire dial in, we have to support only incoming call.

thanks,
zix

Doug Mitton

Sep 8, 2009, 9:04:36 AM9/8/09
zix <zix...@gmail.com> wrote:

I use this regularly. I use mgetty and all the config is default
except for:

(Sorry about the line wrap.)

login.config:
/AutoPPP/ - - /usr/sbin/pppd nodefaultroute auth -chap +pap
192.168.10.1:192.168.10.253 ms-dns 192.168.10.1

* - - /bin/login @

You also have to have pap configured with id/passwords in
`pap-secrets` under "etc/ppp/".

I initiate it in `inittab` with:

T3:5:respawn:/sbin/mgetty -D -R 60 -n 2 -x 0 -p "@ Login:" -i
"/etc/issue.dial" -s 115200 -m '"" ATZM0 OK' ttyS2

This works well and reliably. I can:
- dial out
- dial in and login for a command prompt
- dial in and initiate a PPP connection

Just to keep out idle rif-raf I also use the "ringback" mode.

Good luck!
http://www3.sympatico.ca/dmitton
SPAM Reduction: Remove ".invalid" from my domain.

zix

Sep 9, 2009, 11:35:18 AM9/9/09
> I use this regularly.  I use mgetty and all the config is default
> except for:
>
> (Sorry about the line wrap.)
>
> login.config:
> /AutoPPP/ -    -   /usr/sbin/pppd nodefaultroute auth -chap +pap
> 192.168.10.1:192.168.10.253 ms-dns 192.168.10.1
>
> *       -       -       /bin/login @
>
> You also have to have pap configured with id/passwords in
> `pap-secrets` under "etc/ppp/".
>
> I initiate it in `inittab` with:
>
> T3:5:respawn:/sbin/mgetty -D -R 60 -n 2 -x 0 -p "@ Login:" -i
> "/etc/issue.dial" -s 115200 -m '"" ATZM0 OK' ttyS2
>
> This works well and reliably.  I can:
> - dial out
> - dial in and login for a command prompt
> - dial in and initiate a PPP connection
>
> Just to keep out idle rif-raf I also use the "ringback" mode.
>
> Good luck!
> --
>        http://www3.sympatico.ca/dmitton
> SPAM Reduction: Remove ".invalid" from my domain.

Hi, thanks for your response..well, some points are unclear to me. You
are respawning the mgetty over the only serial port, so how can pppos
for internet work over the same? I think ppp when runs needs the
exclusive access over serial, but if mgetty runs over the same
everytime, how do i run ppp over serial for internet?
lemem say it in a bit detail...
(1) First I get a call, so as mgetty is running it calls ppp and let
teh process continue...then I hangup, can i now run pppd client over
serial to connect my isp and connect to the internet?
(2) If (1) is possible, then the reverse is also possible. But can I
do that in middle? I mean can I receive any call while in the middle
of surfing? or start the internet connection while I am also connected
over the phone line?

Thanks and Regards,
zix
Please let me know a bit in detail....

Message has been deleted

Doug Mitton

Sep 15, 2009, 7:33:54 AM9/15/09
zix <zix...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hmm, maybe I misunderstood your original question. Everything I
explained is for dial-in only. This process simply allows:
- dial-in shell
- dial-in ppp
from a single instance of mgetty. There is even a facility to ad FAX
to this but I'm just not using that.

>(1) First I get a call, so as mgetty is running it calls ppp and let
>teh process continue...then I hangup, can i now run pppd client over
>serial to connect my isp and connect to the internet?

There is a lot of detail in the mgetty man page and documents but
basically, when mgetty answers the phone with the parameters shown
above it listens to the connection and:
- if ppp "handshake" tones are received it spawns ppp
- if nothing is heard it spawns a login.

>(2) If (1) is possible, then the reverse is also possible. But can I
>do that in middle? I mean can I receive any call while in the middle
>of surfing? or start the internet connection while I am also connected
>over the phone line?

The serial (modem) phone line can only provide one function at a time.
It can:
- make calls (FAX or dialout ppp)
- receive calls (fax, shell or dial-in PPP)

In case I misunderstand, if you are using the local computer to surf
the internet via cable, DSL, wireless, etc (anything BUT dialup) then
the serial (modem) port is available for a remote computer to call in
and access either a shell or dialup-ppp and use your existing internet
connection.

>Thanks and Regards,
>zix
> Please let me know a bit in detail....

I use this setup to provide my own personal dial-up ISP if I am not at
home and want to connect to the internet. Not all ISP's especially
wireless or cable offer dialup access. Sometimes that is whats
convenient.