Lyrix-1.05 with static Motif lib's uploaded to Sunsite

David L. Johnson

Sep 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/2/95
At the request of the autor, Matthais Ettrich
(ett...@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de), I have compiled Lyrix-1.05 with static
Motif-2.0 lib's and uploaded it to sunsite's Incoming directory. I imagine it
will migrate to either apps/editors, or (more appropriately) X11/xapps/editors
soon.

What is Lyrix?

Lyrix is a word-processor for X11, using LaTeX (2e) to format the output. It
allows easy access to LaTeX formatting commands and almost-WYSIWYG display.
latex2e is necessary to compile the documents and print.

It is very easy to write letters, reports, outlines, lists, with embedded
graphics and mathematical symbols, without having to go through all the LaTeX
commands to set it up. It is also customizable, so you can alter the
appearance of the output to suit your taste.

Test is displayed in WYSIAWYG, but (necessarily) LaTeX re-formats the text when
it compiles (compilation into a .dvi file is done by a menu choice, with errors
graphically displayed. Printing is also automatic from within LyriX).
Graphics and mathematical symbols are not (as of yet) displayed, except under a
previewer (a pipe to xdvi).

In my opinion, this is the best answer yet to the never-ending debate about
word-processors under Linux. Unlike xword, it is very much usable now, and is
undergoing rapid development. Unlike WordPerfect, it is small, fast, and free
(GPL'd). While the author still considers it alpha, I think it's quite stable.
The biggest lapse now is documentation, which will be forthcoming shortly.

The binary (a.out) I have uploaded is linked against Motif-2.0, and there is
one annoying bug that results from that. The main window has a pull-down menu
of
styles. you can select a style for either the current line or highlighted text
with a click of the mouse, but using the cursor-keys to scroll down the menu
causes a segfault. So, use the mouse. The author is aware of the problem, it
is with Motif 2.0's ComboBox widget. Those with Motif-1.2 should use Harald
Albrecht's ComboBox widget (on ftp.x.org, in /contrib/widgets/motif), which
doesn't have this problem, but which I can't get to work correctly with
Motif-2.0.

You need XFree-3.1 or above to use the binary, as other lib's are dynamically
linked.

Any other segfaults in the ComboBox widget (pull-down menus), please inform me
as well as the author. Some have reported faults which seem to be due to
missing X fonts for display. If you have a lot of crashes, please let me know
what X11 fonts you have.

I hope you like this as much as I do.

--

David L. Johnson dl...@lehigh.edu
Department of Mathematics http://www.lehigh.edu/~dlj0/dlj0.html

--
Send comp.os.linux.announce submissions to: linux-a...@news.ornl.gov
PLEASE remember a short description of the software.