-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Paul Mackerras and myself have just released a package called rsync on
rsync is a rcp replacement with some special features:
- - it uses a special remote update algorithm that allows it to send
just the differences between the source and destination files if the
destination file already exists. It can do this without requiring that
both sets of files are available on one end of the link. This makes
rsync very fast when updating over a slow link. A tech report
on the algorithm to do this is included in the package.
- - it uses rsh or ssh for communications. It requires no special
privilages to install.
- - it has many options found in GNU tar and GNU cp, such as copying
links, devices, permissions, times, ownership etc
- - it has the --exclude and --exclude-from options from GNU tar
- - it has a --cvs-exclude option to tell it to ignore the same files
that CVS would ignore
- - it uses a pipelining technique which overlaps communication with
computation and removes the latency cost for each file
- - it is only a week old and therefore probably has lots of bugs :-)
Andrew Tridgell Dept. of Computer Science
email: Andrew.Tridg...@anu.edu.au Australian National
Phone: (06) 254 8209 or (06) 249 5691 Fax: (06) 249 0010
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
This article has been digitally signed by the moderator, using PGP.
Finger wirze...@kruuna.helsinki.fi for PGP key needed for validating signature.
Send submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: linux-annou...@news.ornl.gov
PLEASE remember a short description of the software and the LOCATION.