My opinion on varous KDE programs.

Aaron Meyer

Oct 2, 2002, 7:07:02 PM10/2/02
Osama Bin Laden wrote:

> Here are my opinions on some KDE programs from the
> Debian stable distribution.
>
> Kbackgammon: Looks a completely mess. The movement
> is so fast it's impossible to follow. Instead, try
> gnubg.
I personally don't care for games. EXCEPT ON MY Zaurus!!!!

> Kcalc: OK, as long as you don't put in a binary
> number higher than 14 digits. Then you get an
> error.
I don't get this problem... possibly because I have the latest version. You
might want to try upgrading if you are not using the latest release.

> Kcron: Great.
Cool.

> KFind: Great. Would be good if you could put
> regular expressions into the search box.
Yep.

> KGhostview. Garbage. Instead, try gv.
I've never tried it... I don't read many pdf's.

> Konsole. OK. I prefer gnome-terminal.
I have to differ.

> Kivio. Splash screen won't go away and gets in the
> way of the first dialogue box.
I don't have this problem either. See Kcalc suggestion.

--
Aaron Meyer
RLU# 283393

Peter Köhlmann

Oct 2, 2002, 7:11:25 PM10/2/02
Aaron Meyer wrote:

It is really nice of you trying to be civil with drsquare.
Only, it won't help any. Shortly he will dance again on graves

Peter
--
Designed for Windows. No user serviceable parts inside. By design

Eric W. Sarjeant

Oct 2, 2002, 8:54:31 PM10/2/02
Osama Bin Laden wrote:
> Kbackgammon: Looks a completely mess. The movement
> is so fast it's impossible to follow. Instead, try
> gnubg.

Worked okay for me. Never payed much attention to these built-in games,
but KBackgammon appears quite powerful -- you can even play it over a
network.

> Kcalc: OK, as long as you don't put in a binary
> number higher than 14 digits. Then you get an
> error.

I didn't have the 17 digit problem, but at 32 digits things got a little
funny (KCalc 1.3.1).

2^16=65535
1111111111111111=65535

2^17=0
11111111111111111=131071

Odd. It would be nice if there was ERR instead of bogus values....

> KGhostview. Garbage. Instead, try gv.

Have also had varying success with KGhostview. Generally I just use the
Acrobat reader for PDF and reserve KGhostview for Postscript.

> Konsole. OK. I prefer gnome-terminal.

Konsole rocks! This is one of the reasons I like KDE. There is a Gnome
equivalent, but I think KDE has the best looking terminal.... It also
plugs into everything (Konqueror, Kate, you name it).

> Kivio. Splash screen won't go away and gets in the
> way of the first dialogue box.

I tried it when it was still beta-quality, and didn't really enjoy its
features. OO seems to do enough simple layout for me, and provides some
level of extensibility. When UML gets involved I fire up Argo...

--
Eric W. Sarjeant <er...@nospam.sarjeant.com> (remove "nospam." to email)
"Sitting on a cornflake waiting for the van to come." - Beatles

Aaron Meyer

Oct 2, 2002, 10:32:04 PM10/2/02
Osama Bin Laden wrote:

> On Wed, 02 Oct 2002 23:07:02 GMT, in
> comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> (Aaron Meyer

> <aaronREM...@earTAKEthlink.OUTcom>) wrote:
>
>>Osama Bin Laden wrote:
>>

>>> Kcalc: OK, as long as you don't put in a binary
>>> number higher than 14 digits. Then you get an
>>> error.
>>
>>I don't get this problem... possibly because I have the latest version.
>>You might want to try upgrading if you are not using the latest release.
>

> I'm using the one that comes with Debian stable.
> Using any future version would require upgrading
> my entire system.
Hmm... this is why I use Gentoo : ).

Aaron Meyer

Oct 2, 2002, 10:33:21 PM10/2/02
Peter Köhlmann wrote:

> It is really nice of you trying to be civil with drsquare.
> Only, it won't help any. Shortly he will dance again on graves

Yea, I know... just I hope possibly my post will help a civil being.

d2002xx

Oct 3, 2002, 1:31:38 AM10/3/02

Osama Bin Laden <Os...@Rio.br> :

> Here are my opinions on some KDE programs from the Debian stable distribution.

why not the newset 3.1beta?

> Kbackgammon: Looks a completely mess. The movement
> is so fast it's impossible to follow. Instead, try
> gnubg.

eh???

> Kcalc: OK, as long as you don't put in a binary
> number higher than 14 digits. Then you get an
> error.

crappy enough.

> Kcron: Great.

never used. CLI is still better on this.

> KFind: Great.

no, it's crap.

> Would be good if you could put regular expressions into the search box.

That's why it's entirely a piece of crap. Without regexp, it's just nothing.

> KGhostview. Garbage. Instead, try gv.

no, all they are too slow. try xpdf.

> Konsole. OK. I prefer gnome-terminal.

no, try aterm or eterm.

> Kivio. Splash screen won't go away and gets in the way of the first dialogue
> box.

eh??

http://www.usenet.com

d2002xx

Oct 3, 2002, 6:36:29 AM10/3/02

Osama Bin Laden <Os...@Rio.br> :

> On Thu, 03 Oct 2002 00:54:31 GMT, in
> comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> ("Eric W. Sarjeant" <er...@nospam.sarjeant.com>)

> wrote:
>
>>Osama Bin Laden wrote:
>>
>>> Kbackgammon: Looks a completely mess. The movement
>>> is so fast it's impossible to follow. Instead, try
>>> gnubg.
>>
>>Worked okay for me. Never payed much attention to these built-in games,
>>but KBackgammon appears quite powerful -- you can even play it over a
>>network.
>

> Gnubg is much better. It looks so much nicer, and
> the computer moves are actually animated so you
> can follow what's going on. I've still only beaten
> it once though.

no, go playing chess. It can prevent you from becoming more stupid.

>>> Kcalc: OK, as long as you don't put in a binary
>>> number higher than 14 digits. Then you get an
>>> error.
>>
>>I didn't have the 17 digit problem, but at 32 digits things got a little
>>funny (KCalc 1.3.1).
>>
>>2^16=65535
>>1111111111111111=65535
>>
>>2^17=0
>>11111111111111111=131071
>>
>>Odd. It would be nice if there was ERR instead of bogus values....
>

> Try putting it in binary mode than typing in 15
> 1s.

>>> KGhostview. Garbage. Instead, try gv.
>>
>>Have also had varying success with KGhostview. Generally I just use the
>>Acrobat reader for PDF and reserve KGhostview for Postscript.
>

> GV rules.

noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! You never use xpdf, right? it's far faster!!!

>>> Konsole. OK. I prefer gnome-terminal.
>>
>>Konsole rocks! This is one of the reasons I like KDE. There is a Gnome
>>equivalent, but I think KDE has the best looking terminal.... It also
>>plugs into everything (Konqueror, Kate, you name it).
>

> Gnome-terminal looks better, you can specify the
> RGB value to represent each colour, so for
> instance you can make the blue lighter so it shows
> up better on a black background.

transparent background?

Dave Leigh

Oct 3, 2002, 9:34:47 AM10/3/02
d2002xx wrote:

> **** Post for FREE via your newsreader at post.usenet.com ****
>
> Osama Bin Laden <Os...@Rio.br> :

>> GV rules.

> noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! You never use xpdf, right? it's far faster!!!

But it's crap to use by comparison.

--
Dave Leigh, Consulting Systems Analyst
Cratchit.org

Aaron Meyer

Oct 3, 2002, 9:08:25 AM10/3/02
Osama Bin Laden wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Oct 2002 02:32:04 GMT, in

> comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> (Aaron Meyer
> <aaronREM...@earTAKEthlink.OUTcom>) wrote:

>>> I'm using the one that comes with Debian stable.
>>> Using any future version would require upgrading
>>> my entire system.
>>
>>Hmm... this is why I use Gentoo : ).
>

> Unfortuanetly, I don't have time to spend weeks
> compiling things just to install it.

It only took me two nights. And it compiled flawlessly. This is on my 450Mhz
machine also... not something considered a modern speed demon.

cybear

Oct 3, 2002, 1:02:24 PM10/3/02
Osama Bin Laden wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Oct 2002 02:32:04 GMT, in

> comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> (Aaron Meyer
> <aaronREM...@earTAKEthlink.OUTcom>) wrote:

>>> I'm using the one that comes with Debian stable.
>>> Using any future version would require upgrading
>>> my entire system.
>>
>>Hmm... this is why I use Gentoo : ).
>

> Unfortuanetly, I don't have time to spend weeks
> compiling things just to install it.

Do a chroot install. The compile can be done with the existing system up and
running and the terminal can be niced to keep performance of your existing
system near normal. The compile needs little attention and took me a little
over a week on a P300 and an hour or two of work. Of course, I am smart
enough to use google so I guess that leaves you out.

cybear

Oct 3, 2002, 1:14:05 PM10/3/02
Osama Bin Laden wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Oct 2002 13:08:25 GMT, in

> comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> (Aaron Meyer
> <aaronREM...@earTAKEthlink.OUTcom>) wrote:

>>> Unfortuanetly, I don't have time to spend weeks
>>> compiling things just to install it.
>>
>>It only took me two nights.
>

> Two nights? Just for an install? This makes
> Windows look fast.

About the only thing that can.

>>And it compiled flawlessly.
>
> Makes a change for most Linux compilations. There
> should be a method for all distros so when you do
> a make install any dependencies are automatically
> downloaded, like with Free BSD.

If you want that, use FreeBSD problem solved.

Peter Köhlmann

Oct 3, 2002, 1:41:35 PM10/3/02
Osama Bin Laden wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Oct 2002 17:14:05 GMT, in
> comp.os.linux.advocacy,

> (cybear <cyb...@pacbell.net>) wrote:

>>> Makes a change for most Linux compilations. There
>>> should be a method for all distros so when you do
>>> a make install any dependencies are automatically
>>> downloaded, like with Free BSD.
>>
>>If you want that, use FreeBSD problem solved.
>

> But Linux is perfect at everything, the Linux
> advocates said so!

It is

Peter
--
Support your local Search and Rescue unit -- get lost.

Peter Köhlmann

Oct 3, 2002, 2:35:13 PM10/3/02
Osama Bin Laden wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Oct 2002 19:41:35 +0200, in
> comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> (Peter Köhlmann <Peter.K...@t-online.de>)

> wrote:

>>> But Linux is perfect at everything, the Linux
>>> advocates said so!
>>
>>It is
>

> Then why would BSD be necessary for such a
> function?

Because it is also perfect

Peter
--
You're not my type. For that matter, you're not even my species

Jon Portnoy

Oct 3, 2002, 3:38:59 PM10/3/02
In article <78topuk04orian530...@4ax.com>, Osama Bin Laden wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Oct 2002 13:08:25 GMT, in

> comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> (Aaron Meyer
><aaronREM...@earTAKEthlink.OUTcom>) wrote:

>>> Unfortuanetly, I don't have time to spend weeks
>>> compiling things just to install it.
>>
>>It only took me two nights.
>
> Two nights? Just for an install? This makes
> Windows look fast.

Gentoo takes time because it's entirely source-based and requires you to
download and compile everything. Binary-based installations take just as
long as it takes to copy packages to disk.

--
Jon Portnoy

The Ghost In The Machine

Oct 3, 2002, 4:00:29 PM10/3/02
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Osama Bin Laden
<Os...@Rio.br>
wrote
on Thu, 03 Oct 2002 10:48:08 +0100
<hc4opus5v0050itle...@4ax.com>:
> On Thu, 03 Oct 2002 02:32:04 GMT, in

> comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> (Aaron Meyer
> <aaronREM...@earTAKEthlink.OUTcom>) wrote:

>>> I'm using the one that comes with Debian stable.
>>> Using any future version would require upgrading
>>> my entire system.
>>
>>Hmm... this is why I use Gentoo : ).
>
> Unfortuanetly, I don't have time to spend weeks
> compiling things just to install it.

Weeks?

What have you got, a 386-20? :-)

#191, ewi...@earthlink.net
It's still legal to go .sigless.

Peter Köhlmann

Oct 3, 2002, 4:19:29 PM10/3/02
Osama Bin Laden wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Oct 2002 20:35:13 +0200, in

> comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> (Peter Köhlmann <Peter.K...@t-online.de>)
> wrote:

>>> Then why would BSD be necessary for such a
>>> function?
>>
>>Because it is also perfect
>

> Yet Linux does not have a feature which BSD has,
> therefore it is not perfect.

BSD does not have certain features linux has.
So they are equally perfect

Peter
--
Yield to Temptation ... it may not pass your way again.
-- Lazarus Long, "Time Enough for Love"

Paul Robson

Oct 3, 2002, 6:09:11 PM10/3/02
Osama Bin Laden wrote:

>>Gentoo takes time because it's entirely source-based and requires you to
>>download and compile everything. Binary-based installations take just as
>>long as it takes to copy packages to disk.
>

> What a rip off.

A free rip off ?

Peter Köhlmann

Oct 3, 2002, 5:54:29 PM10/3/02
Osama Bin Laden wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Oct 2002 22:19:29 +0200, in

> comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> (Peter Köhlmann <Peter.K...@t-online.de>)
> wrote:

>>> Yet Linux does not have a feature which BSD has,
>>> therefore it is not perfect.
>>
>>BSD does not have certain features linux has.
>>So they are equally perfect
>

> If they're lacking features, they're not perfect,
> are they?

Why not?
For example you are lacking intelligence, you have none whatsoever.
You are a perfect idiot.

Peter
--
All things are possible, except skiing thru a revolving door.

GeneralPF

Oct 4, 2002, 9:31:26 AM10/4/02
On Thu, 03 Oct 2002 23:54:29 +0200, Peter Köhlmann assert()ed:

> Osama Bin Laden wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 03 Oct 2002 22:19:29 +0200, in
>> comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>> (Peter Köhlmann <Peter.K...@t-online.de>)
>> wrote:

>>>BSD does not have certain features linux has.
>>>So they are equally perfect
>>
>> If they're lacking features, they're not perfect,
>> are they?
>
> Why not?
> For example you are lacking intelligence, you have none whatsoever.
> You are a perfect idiot.

BUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!

--
General Protection Fault
gene...@yahoo.nospam.com

d2002xx

Oct 4, 2002, 10:13:30 AM10/4/02

Dave Leigh <dave....@cratchit.org> :

> d2002xx wrote:
>
>> **** Post for FREE via your newsreader at post.usenet.com ****
>>
>> Osama Bin Laden <Os...@Rio.br> :
>
>>> GV rules.
>>
>> noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! You never use xpdf, right? it's far faster!!!
>
> But it's crap to use by comparison.

how???

The Ghost In The Machine

Oct 4, 2002, 8:02:11 PM10/4/02
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Osama Bin Laden
<Os...@Rio.br>
wrote
on Thu, 03 Oct 2002 21:51:44 +0100
<p4bppuc5nm3vghn99...@4ax.com>:
> On Thu, 03 Oct 2002 20:00:29 GMT, in
> comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> (The Ghost In The Machine

> <ew...@sirius.athghost7038suus.net>) wrote:
>
>>In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Osama Bin Laden
>><Os...@Rio.br>
>> wrote
>>on Thu, 03 Oct 2002 10:48:08 +0100

>>> Unfortuanetly, I don't have time to spend weeks
>>> compiling things just to install it.
>>
>>Weeks?
>>
>>What have you got, a 386-20? :-)
>
> Athlon XP 2000+

I'm envious. My most powerful machine is a 450 Mhz P III. :-)

Yet another reason I like Linux -- WinXP would take one look at my
machine, give a wjbell-ian *yawn*, and curl back in its CD-ROM disc. :-)

Linux gets in there and goes to work.

d2002xx

Oct 4, 2002, 9:15:43 PM10/4/02

Osama Bin Laden <Os...@Rio.br> :

> On Sat, 05 Oct 2002 00:02:11 GMT, in

> comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> (The Ghost In The Machine
> <ew...@sirius.athghost7038suus.net>) wrote:
>
>>In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Osama Bin Laden
>><Os...@Rio.br>
>> wrote

>>on Thu, 03 Oct 2002 21:51:44 +0100

>>> Athlon XP 2000+
>>
>>I'm envious. My most powerful machine is a 450 Mhz P III. :-)
>

> Processors are cheap nowadays.

>>Yet another reason I like Linux -- WinXP would take one look at my
>>machine, give a wjbell-ian *yawn*, and curl back in its CD-ROM disc. :-)
>>
>>Linux gets in there and goes to work.
>

> Not if you use KDE or Gnome. Or Mozilla or Star
> Office.

Agree :)))

Jukka-Pekka Suominen

Oct 6, 2002, 9:28:05 AM10/6/02
Osama Bin Laden wrote:
>>I'm envious. My most powerful machine is a 450 Mhz P III. :-)
>>Yet another reason I like Linux -- WinXP would take one look at my
>>machine, give a wjbell-ian *yawn*, and curl back in its CD-ROM disc. :-)
>>Linux gets in there and goes to work.
> Not if you use KDE or Gnome. Or Mozilla or Star
> Office.

Well, I have a 350MHz PII which is completely happy running Mandrake 8.2
with KDE and Gnome and Mozilla and OpenOffice and whatnot (not Star Office,
though, since at least the 5.2 version would probably be sluggish even on a
4.7 GHz pentium..)

The same machine also dual-boots with windows 2000 with no greater problems,
exept that it takes FOREVER to boot, and cd-burning is flaky at best (~2/3
end up as coasters..)

-JP

paul cooke

Oct 6, 2002, 10:13:31 AM10/6/02
Jukka-Pekka Suominen was seen in <3da0...@newsflash.abo.fi> in
comp.os.linux.advocacy to propose the following:

> Osama Bin Laden wrote:
>>>I'm envious. My most powerful machine is a 450 Mhz P III. :-)
>>>Yet another reason I like Linux -- WinXP would take one look at my
>>>machine, give a wjbell-ian *yawn*, and curl back in its CD-ROM disc.
>>>:-) Linux gets in there and goes to work.
>> Not if you use KDE or Gnome. Or Mozilla or Star
>> Office.
>
> Well, I have a 350MHz PII which is completely happy running Mandrake
> 8.2 with KDE and Gnome and Mozilla and OpenOffice and whatnot (not Star
> Office, though, since at least the 5.2 version would probably be
> sluggish even on a 4.7 GHz pentium..)

StarOffice v6.0 is just as fast if not faster than OpenOffice... They've
taken note of the sluggishness of 5.2 and got their act together. It
loads up the same way as OpenOffice now with just the wordprocessor
started up now... I should know as I'm running StarOffice 6 on my two
CyrixMII 330 MHz machines which are slower than your in the first place.

RAM is the major factor on low spec machines, get at least 128Mb pref
256Mb as it's dirt cheap now for that type of RAM. The less swapping to
the swap partition that you have to do the better.

> The same machine also dual-boots with windows 2000 with no greater
> problems, exept that it takes FOREVER to boot, and cd-burning is flaky
> at best (~2/3 end up as coasters..)

CD burning on a 350MHz PII should not be flaky... you've got something
wrong with your setup. Try turning off all the extraneous process and
just burn CDs. Don't try to run other stuff at the same time. Make sure
that DMA is turned on correctly for both your hard disk and your
burner... and don't even think of burning from CD to CDr on the fly,
always copy to a temp on the hard disk first...

--
Paul Cooke
Registered Linux user 273897 Machine registration number 156819

Jazz

Oct 6, 2002, 10:26:44 AM10/6/02
Captain's log. On StarDate Sunday 06 October 2002 16:13 received comm from
"paul cooke":

> Jukka-Pekka Suominen was seen in <3da0...@newsflash.abo.fi> in
> comp.os.linux.advocacy to propose the following:

>>> Not if you use KDE or Gnome. Or Mozilla or Star
>>> Office.
>>
>> Well, I have a 350MHz PII which is completely happy running Mandrake
>> 8.2 with KDE and Gnome and Mozilla and OpenOffice and whatnot (not Star
>> Office, though, since at least the 5.2 version would probably be
>> sluggish even on a 4.7 GHz pentium..)
>
> StarOffice v6.0 is just as fast if not faster than OpenOffice... They've
> taken note of the sluggishness of 5.2 and got their act together. It
> loads up the same way as OpenOffice now with just the wordprocessor
> started up now... I should know as I'm running StarOffice 6 on my two
> CyrixMII 330 MHz machines which are slower than your in the first place.

Actually, StarOffice (and OpenOffice.org) still load all of their
shenannigans when you start them up; it's just that, instead of taking over
your screen with that dreaded desktop of theirs, they now only visually load
the module you clicked.

The modules themselves do feel significantly faster than their 5.2
counterparts; I have both versions installed on the same machine, and 5.2 is
definitely slower in the running. Startup is about the same.

--
Jazz.

"Revenge is a rolling pin!"
(the Widow's Revenge team from Robot Wars)

Jukka-Pekka Suominen

Oct 6, 2002, 1:07:27 PM10/6/02
paul cooke wrote:
> Jukka-Pekka Suominen was seen in <3da0...@newsflash.abo.fi> in
> RAM is the major factor on low spec machines, get at least 128Mb pref
> 256Mb as it's dirt cheap now for that type of RAM. The less swapping to
> the swap partition that you have to do the better.

I've got 128 megs, and I would've gotten more, but I just can't seem to find
any.. Well, I'm thinking of buying a new machine anyway, so it's not a
major concern.

>> The same machine also dual-boots with windows 2000 with no greater
>> problems, exept that it takes FOREVER to boot, and cd-burning is flaky
>> at best (~2/3 end up as coasters..)
>
> CD burning on a 350MHz PII should not be flaky... you've got something
> wrong with your setup. Try turning off all the extraneous process and
> just burn CDs. Don't try to run other stuff at the same time.

Yeah, I know. It worked fine under win95 and still works like a dream with
linux. I can compile things, surf the net, read news etc while burning cds
with no problems. Actually, I've given up on burning cds under windows,
since I can't seem to find any decent software that doesn't require a
credit card to use..

-JP

Dave Leigh

Oct 7, 2002, 12:14:13 AM10/7/02
d2002xx wrote:

> **** Post for FREE via your newsreader at post.usenet.com ****
>
> Dave Leigh <dave....@cratchit.org> :
>
>> d2002xx wrote:
>>
>>> **** Post for FREE via your newsreader at post.usenet.com ****
>>>
>>> Osama Bin Laden <Os...@Rio.br> :

>>> noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! You never use xpdf, right? it's far
>>> faster!!!
>>
>> But it's crap to use by comparison.
>
> how???

Certainly not because of what it does, but because it does so little.

In addition to simply displaying the pdf file gv also provides easier
scrolling (drag the page). Point-and-click paging. Intuitive facility to
mark odd, even, or selected pages and print just them. The ability to
change paper size before printing. Easily accessible facility to tweak your
setup options, including save directory, gs options, print filter, etc. And
gv looks better.