Software Popularity Stats, 6th October 2009

Homer

Oct 5, 2009, 8:03:21 PM10/5/09
Software Popularity Stats, 6th October 2009.

Top 10 Windows Downloads (download.com).
| No | Downloads | Name | Type |
| 1 | 1,439,289 | AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition | Anti-Malware |
| 2 | 961,282 | Avira AntiVir Personal | Anti-Malware |
| 3 | 635,270 | Avast Home Edition | Anti-Malware |
| 4 | 564,455 | Malwarebytes Anti-Malware | Anti-Malware |
| 5 | 483,105 | LimeWire | Piracy |
| 6 | 412,024 | YouTube Downloader | Piracy |
| 7 | 367,946 | WinRAR (32-bit) | Piracy * |
| 8 | 317,798 | Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition | Anti-Malware |
| 9 | 255,168 | Advanced SystemCare Free | B0rk Fixer |
| 10 | 247,698 | IObit Security 360 | Anti-Malware |

[*] Although actually an archiver, rather than a piracy tool, WinRAR is
used almost exclusively to (un)archive pirate software distributed
(mainly) on binary Usenet groups, and as such is classified here under
the heading of "Piracy".

Top 10 Linux Projects by Popularity (freshmeat.net)
(based on number of subscriptions, URL hits and record hits)
| No | Score | Name | Type |
|-----------------------------------------------|
| 1 | 100 | gcc | Dev |
| 2 | 99.31 | Apache | Web |
| 3 | 89.67 | cdrtools | Utility |
| 4 | 80.54 | Linux (kernel) | OS |
| 5 | 59.89 | PostgreSQL | Database |
| 6 | 51.34 | VLC | Multimedia |
| 7 | 42.16 | ClamAV | Anti-Malware * |
| 8 | 41.91 | MPlayer | Multimedia |
| 9 | 36.88 | MySQL | Database |
| 10 | 36.40 | PHP | Dev |

[*] This anti-malware tool runs under GNU/Linux, but is only needed to
scan for malware on Windows systems, or malware transmitted by Windows
systems (e.g. botnets) through GNU/Linux mail servers.

Percentile Distribution by application type.
---------------------------------
| OS | Windows | Linux |
|---------------------------------|
| Type | % | % |
|---------------------------------|
| Anti-Malware | 73.29 | 6.61 |
| Piracy | 22.22 | 0 |
| Other | 4.49 | 93.39 |
---------------------------------

Final score: Linux 93.39, Windows 4.49.
(Legitimate and productive use).

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "What's the point of supporting a large, faceless corporation that
| doesn't give you the good service you should get? We have MS for
| that..." ~ DFS, http://tinyurl.com/doofy-admits-truth-about-ms
`----

Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) on sky, running kernel 2.6.26.8-57.fc8
01:03:05 up 130 days, 5:01, 4 users, load average: 0.16, 0.22, 0.27

Tim Smith

Oct 5, 2009, 10:15:56 PM10/5/09
In article <93eqp6...@sky.matrix>, Homer <use...@slated.org> wrote:

> Software Popularity Stats, 6th October 2009.
>
> Top 10 Windows Downloads (download.com).

> [*] Although actually an archiver, rather than a piracy tool, WinRAR is
> used almost exclusively to (un)archive pirate software distributed
> (mainly) on binary Usenet groups, and as such is classified here under
> the heading of "Piracy".

> Top 10 Linux Projects by Popularity (freshmeat.net)
> (based on number of subscriptions, URL hits and record hits)

What about things that are included with the distribution? One of the
major arguments for Linux in COLA is that so much comes with the
distribution that the typical user never needs to go grab things from
other sources.

> Percentile Distribution by application type.
> ---------------------------------
> | OS | Windows | Linux |
> |---------------------------------|
> | Type | % | % |
> |---------------------------------|
> | Anti-Malware | 73.29 | 6.61 |
> | Piracy | 22.22 | 0 |
> | Other | 4.49 | 93.39 |
> ---------------------------------
>
> Final score: Linux 93.39, Windows 4.49.
> (Legitimate and productive use).

There are typically multiple p2p programs for piracy in Linux
distributions. Also, Linux distributions typical support RAR (the latest
Ubuntu has 3 programs to unpack RAR files).

One of the Windows downloads you counted as a piracy tool was YouTube
Downloader. Go search for "youtube" in Synaptic on a current Ubuntu
system, and guess what you'll find? A program called youtube-dl, a
program to download videos from YouTube.

You post was a lame FUD attempt, even for you.

--
--Tim Smith

Terry Porter

Oct 5, 2009, 10:43:30 PM10/5/09

Good one!

Looks like we need a new name for wintrolls .... "Theftards" ?

--
C.O.L.A Charter:-
"For discussion of the benefits of GNU/Linux compared to other

Roy Schestowitz

Oct 6, 2009, 6:43:35 AM10/6/09

Moshe Goldfarb

Oct 6, 2009, 7:53:54 AM10/6/09

Homer has been Rope-A-Doped !!

Good job Tim!

Moshe Goldfarb

Oct 6, 2009, 7:55:00 AM10/6/09
On Tue, 06 Oct 2009 11:43:35 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> It's time for MAFIAA and congress to criminalise that "pirateOS" called Windows. It's
> obviously as bad as TPB.
>
> Another interesting comparison would measure % of botnets.
>
> - --
> ~~ Best of wishes

Make sure to include your own Linux based server which was 0wned
and spewing nasties all over the place, Roy Schestowitz.

Homer

Oct 6, 2009, 7:30:35 PM10/6/09
Verily I say unto thee, that Terry Porter spake thusly:

Just remember these stats next time the Microsoft "evangelists" harp on
about how many software titles are available for the Windows platform.

AFAICT the vast bulk of all third-party Windows software only exists to
compensate for the inadequacies of the operating system, and the /next/
largest segment only exists to facilitate /stealing/ the final segment,
which comprises a handful of reasonable titles, at extortionate prices,
that few users will ever be able to legitimately obtain.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "What's the point of supporting a large, faceless corporation that
| doesn't give you the good service you should get? We have MS for
| that..." ~ DFS, http://tinyurl.com/doofy-admits-truth-about-ms
`----

Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) on sky, running kernel 2.6.26.8-57.fc8

00:30:19 up 131 days, 4:28, 4 users, load average: 0.20, 0.23, 0.53

Moshe Goldfarb

Oct 6, 2009, 7:45:26 PM10/6/09
On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 00:30:35 +0100, Homer wrote:

> Verily I say unto thee, that Terry Porter spake thusly:
>> On Tue, 06 Oct 2009 01:03:21 +0100, Homer wrote:
>
>>> Percentile Distribution by application type.
>>> ---------------------------------
>>> | OS | Windows | Linux |
>>> |---------------------------------|
>>> | Type | % | % |
>>> |---------------------------------|
>>> | Anti-Malware | 73.29 | 6.61 |
>>> | Piracy | 22.22 | 0 |
>>> | Other | 4.49 | 93.39 |
>>> ---------------------------------
>>>
>>> Final score: Linux 93.39, Windows 4.49. (Legitimate and productive
>>> use).
>>
>> Good one!
>>
>> Looks like we need a new name for wintrolls .... "Theftards" ?
>
> Just remember these stats next time the Microsoft "evangelists" harp on
> about how many software titles are available for the Windows platform.

Quality, in demand titles.
Not the tons of repetitive slopware available for Linux.

> AFAICT the vast bulk of all third-party Windows software only exists to
> compensate for the inadequacies of the operating system, and the /next/
> largest segment only exists to facilitate /stealing/ the final segment,
> which comprises a handful of reasonable titles, at extortionate prices,
> that few users will ever be able to legitimately obtain.

So how many applications come with AIX?
How about ZoS?
How about OS/400?

All world class operating systems....