Firefox gaining momentum

7

Nov 3, 2005, 3:36:52 PM11/3/05
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/03/browser_survey/

Firefox gets 11.5% of global market share
while internet exploder use declines.

The irony is that since open source Firefox has more than
7% of the global market share, it has now become
mainstream product and no one including microshaft
can refuse to support standards compliant browser
like Firefox.

They can always try and find themselves in court
sooner rather than later.

Rick

Nov 3, 2005, 4:25:46 PM11/3/05
On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 20:36:52 +0000, 7 wrote:

> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/03/browser_survey/
>
> Firefox gets 11.5% of global market share
> while internet exploder use declines.
>
> The irony is that since open source Firefox has more than
> 7% of the global market share, it has now become
> mainstream product and no one including microshaft
> can refuse to support standards compliant browser
> like Firefox.

They can, and they will.

> They can always try and find themselves in court
> sooner rather than later.

Web developers are not legally bound to follow any standards.

--
Rick

7

Nov 3, 2005, 4:41:35 PM11/3/05
Rick wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 20:36:52 +0000, 7 wrote:
>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/03/browser_survey/
>>
>> Firefox gets 11.5% of global market share
>> while internet exploder use declines.
>>
>> The irony is that since open source Firefox has more than
>> 7% of the global market share, it has now become
>> mainstream product and no one including microshaft
>> can refuse to support standards compliant browser
>> like Firefox.
>
> They can, and they will.

And continue to pay fines when taken to court.

>> They can always try and find themselves in court
>> sooner rather than later.
>
> Web developers are not legally bound to follow any standards.

Illegal monopolies should try selling that to a judge.

r.e.b...@usa.net

Nov 3, 2005, 5:53:43 PM11/3/05
Let's crunch the numbers a slightly different way.

The top 10 OEMs sold less than 80 million computers this year.

Firefox was installed on 100 million PCs.

This means that FireFox has actually OUTSOLD IE in terms of NEW units
shipped.

And keep in mind that this is only the number of downloads direct from
the Mozilla site, not from informal mirrors, corporate mirrors, and
other indirect providers.

Even more interesting is that they celebrated the 50 million mark in
April, which means that they have "shipped" 50 million browsers in 6
months. Even Microsoft didn't do that well in it's second 6 months.

billwg

Nov 3, 2005, 5:55:58 PM11/3/05

"7" <website_...@www.enemygadgets.com> wrote in message

"Although OneStat.com has witnessed a steady increase in Firefox usage
over recent months other firms report the opposite trend. Last month,
web applications provider NetApplications reported that Firefox was
losing ground to IE with usage of the open source browser down to 8.07
per cent in July compared to 8.71 per cent in June 2005. Either this was
a temporary blip or one or other of web analytics firms is getting its
trends in a tangle. We're not sure which."

Well it is good that you don't have that problem, lucky! LOL!!! But
what's the charge that puts this into a court? Loss of share?

Erik Funkenbusch

Nov 3, 2005, 5:59:54 PM11/3/05
On 3 Nov 2005 14:53:43 -0800, r.e.b...@usa.net wrote:

> Let's crunch the numbers a slightly different way.
>
> The top 10 OEMs sold less than 80 million computers this year.
>
> Firefox was installed on 100 million PCs.

Umm..no. Those FF numbers do not represent any kind of actual intalled
base, because the only way to update from version to version was to
download a completely new version.

While I believe that FF only counted the number of downloads from their web
page (not downloads through their update service), the update service was
often very slow to display new updates (Weeks, sometimes) , so users would
go to the web page to download anyways.

Of course that number also doesn't apply to those that downloaded it once
and then installed it on more than one computer either.

> This means that FireFox has actually OUTSOLD IE in terms of NEW units
> shipped.

No, it doesn't mean that at all.

> Even more interesting is that they celebrated the 50 million mark in
> April, which means that they have "shipped" 50 million browsers in 6
> months. Even Microsoft didn't do that well in it's second 6 months.

Yet FF usage has dropped significantly in the last few months.

7

Nov 3, 2005, 6:24:34 PM11/3/05
Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

Hmm.. its internet exploder that has dropped and still dropping
steadily while firefox has gained from 7% to 11.5%.

Peter

Nov 3, 2005, 6:42:28 PM11/3/05
Rick wrote:

> Web developers are not legally bound to follow any standards.

Agreed, but their clients are not going to be too happy when end users
complain that they cannot access content because of use of non-standard
features or the need to download 'plug-ins' which users are suspicious of
using or which are blocked by corporate firewalls.

I have recently successfully accessed two local websites which were
previously inaccessible because of such 'features', so web writers are fast
getting the message.

Freeride

Nov 3, 2005, 6:44:05 PM11/3/05
Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> No, it doesn't mean that at all.

Why do I sense panic in your posts?

linu...@lycos.com

Nov 3, 2005, 6:55:18 PM11/3/05

what a idiot. your one of the dumbest of all the lintard morons.

people who build web sites don't go to court. there is no law that
forces sites to be 100% compat with standards. and there never will be.
this is america idiot and not some communist nation. freedom means
being able to create any kind of web site you want.

too bad lintards who make stupid posts aren't sent to jail. if that
were the case you would be serving a life sentence for being stupid.
you'd be somebodies prison bitch right now you idiot.

Erik Funkenbusch

Nov 3, 2005, 7:00:59 PM11/3/05
On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 23:24:34 GMT, 7 wrote:

> Hmm.. its internet exploder that has dropped and still dropping
> steadily while firefox has gained from 7% to 11.5%.

No, FF peaked at 21% in May, and is now at 18.8%

B Gruff

Nov 3, 2005, 6:07:03 PM11/3/05
On Thursday 03 November 2005 23:55 linu...@lycos.com wrote:

> this is america idiot and not some communist nation.

'nuff said?

Sinister Midget

Nov 3, 2005, 7:51:22 PM11/3/05
On 2005-11-03, Erik Funkenbusch <er...@despam-funkenbusch.com> posted something concerning:

> Umm..no. Those FF numbers do not represent any kind of actual intalled
> base, because the only way to update from version to version was to
> download a completely new version.

So all of those copies contained on SuSE, Ubuntu, Mepis, Kanotix,
Fedora, Mandriva and other distros, and all of those copies downloaded
through apt, yum and rpm sources aren't conunted? You mean Firefox
/might/ be installed and used tens of times more than FF counts?

This news is getting better every moment!

> Yet FF usage has dropped significantly in the last few months.

And they're /still/ measuring in excess of 10%! Plus, who /knows/ how
many of those are claiming to be IE?!? I mean, that /alone/ could mean
Firefox has passed 50%!

--
Bring Windows to its knees: start an application.

The Ghost In The Machine

Nov 3, 2005, 8:00:05 PM11/3/05
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, 7
<website_...@www.enemygadgets.com>
wrote
on Thu, 03 Nov 2005 23:24:34 GMT
<S_waf.329$Lw5...@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>:

That's just because everybody is breathlessly (bated,
baited, or otherwise) waiting for tabbed browsing in IE7
which presumably will be shipped with Microsoft Vista...
:-) ;-) :-)

(And yes, I do have a bridge for sale. :-) )

#191, ewi...@earthlink.net
It's still legal to go .sigless.

Bobbie Gill

Nov 3, 2005, 8:25:45 PM11/3/05
linu...@lycos.com wrote:
> 7 wrote:
>
>>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/03/browser_survey/
>>
>>Firefox gets 11.5% of global market share
>>while internet exploder use declines.
>>
>>The irony is that since open source Firefox has more than
>>7% of the global market share, it has now become
>>mainstream product and no one including microshaft
>>can refuse to support standards compliant browser
>>like Firefox.
>>
>>They can always try and find themselves in court
>>sooner rather than later.
>

> what a idiot.

At least he's not typing with a mouth stick.
Your sentence should also be written as:
'What an idiot'
not as
'What a idiot'
You need to use 'an' because idiot begins with a vowel.

your one of the dumbest of all the lintard morons.

Today's grammar lesson: Contractions.

"You are" is contracted to "you're" and not "your"

> people who build web sites don't go to court. there is no law that
> forces sites to be 100% compat with standards.

No, but common sense dictates that you observe industry standards. Can
you imagine what fun it would be if every city in North America had it's
own voltage and frequency for power distribution? Or how about if every
T.V. station did it's own thing.

and there never will be.
> this is america idiot and not some communist nation.

I absolutely love your grammar. You're must be either twelve or
thirteen, right?

freedom means
> being able to create any kind of web site you want.

Fine, create whatever website you want to using whatever content you
want, but please be sure to follow good HTML practices.

> too bad lintards who make stupid posts aren't sent to jail.

Too bad that juveniles such as yourself aren't kept after school in
detention so you may practice your grammar.

if that
> were the case you would be serving a life sentence for being stupid.

Hehe.
Here's a life lesson for you, there are no stupid questions, just stupid
answers.

> you'd be somebodies prison bitch right now you idiot.

You're speaking from experience, right?

--
Bobbie the Triple Killer

My website:
http://members.shaw.ca/bobbie4/index.htm

Check out:
http://www.iuoe882.com/

[Bob@S01060050046f293e Desktop]$ emacs signature

Today's posting is brought to you by:

The numbers 0 & 1, Fedora Core 4 and Mozilla Thunderbird.

The ideal engineer is a composite ... He is not a scientist, he is not a
mathematician, he is not a sociologist or a writer; but he may use the
knowledge and techniques of any or all of these disciplines in solving
engineering problems.
N. W. Dougherty, 1955

Erik Funkenbusch

Nov 3, 2005, 8:47:44 PM11/3/05
On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 01:00:05 GMT, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> That's just because everybody is breathlessly (bated,
> baited, or otherwise) waiting for tabbed browsing in IE7
> which presumably will be shipped with Microsoft Vista...
> :-) ;-) :-)
>
> (And yes, I do have a bridge for sale. :-) )

Umm.. no, IE7 is supposed to ship significantly before Vista does.

Rick

Nov 3, 2005, 8:54:21 PM11/3/05
On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 16:59:54 -0600, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

(snip)

> Yet FF usage has dropped significantly in the last few months.

No, it hasn't.

--
Rick

Rick

Nov 3, 2005, 8:53:20 PM11/3/05
On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 21:41:35 +0000, 7 wrote:

> Rick wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 20:36:52 +0000, 7 wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/03/browser_survey/
>>>
>>> Firefox gets 11.5% of global market share
>>> while internet exploder use declines.
>>>
>>> The irony is that since open source Firefox has more than
>>> 7% of the global market share, it has now become
>>> mainstream product and no one including microshaft
>>> can refuse to support standards compliant browser
>>> like Firefox.
>>
>> They can, and they will.
>
> And continue to pay fines when taken to court.

--ANYONE-- can refuse to support standards compliant browsers like
FireFox, and they can do so legally.

>>> They can always try and find themselves in court
>>> sooner rather than later.
>>
>> Web developers are not legally bound to follow any standards.
>
> Illegal monopolies should try selling that to a judge.

Web developers are not legally bound to follow any standards.

--
Rick

Rick

Nov 3, 2005, 9:00:16 PM11/3/05

21% in May, down to 18% in September, back up to 18.8% in October... by
your reference.

<http://www.onestat.com/html/aboutus_pressbox40_browser_market_firefox_growing.html>

Mozilla's browsers global usage share is still growing according to
OneStat.com

"The global usage share of Mozilla's browsers is still growing and it
seems that Netscape users and some Internet Explorer users are switching
to the Firefox version."

--
Rick

Handover Phist

Nov 3, 2005, 9:02:53 PM11/3/05
Erik Funkenbusch blithely blithered

> On 3 Nov 2005 14:53:43 -0800, r.e.b...@usa.net wrote:
>
>> Let's crunch the numbers a slightly different way.
>>
>> The top 10 OEMs sold less than 80 million computers this year.
>>
>> Firefox was installed on 100 million PCs.
>
> Umm..no. Those FF numbers do not represent any kind of actual intalled
> base, because the only way to update from version to version was to
> download a completely new version.

Which I install on my client machines from a file server in my shop. 1
download from the website means in excess of 100 installs. Yes the
numbers are skewed, but noone can say for sure in which direction. Too
many variables. While I agree with your analysis, I dont agree with the
direction in which those numbers are skewed.

--
It is Mr. Mellon's credo that $200,000,000 can do no wrong. Our
offense consists in doubting it.

Blood Money

Nov 3, 2005, 10:41:38 PM11/3/05
On 2005-11-03, linu...@lycos.com <linu...@lycos.com> wrote:

> 7 wrote:
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/03/browser_survey/
>>
>> Firefox gets 11.5% of global market share
>> while internet exploder use declines.
>>
>> The irony is that since open source Firefox has more than
>> 7% of the global market share, it has now become
>> mainstream product and no one including microshaft
>> can refuse to support standards compliant browser
>> like Firefox.
>>
>> They can always try and find themselves in court
>> sooner rather than later.
>

> what a idiot. your one of the dumbest of all the lintard morons.
>
> people who build web sites don't go to court. there is no law that
> forces sites to be 100% compat with standards. and there never will be.

Just like there are no education standards at your trailer park... or
enforcable laws against inbreeding - which accounts for your lack of
teeth.

--
The only easy day was yesterday.

Blood Money

Nov 3, 2005, 10:54:55 PM11/3/05
On 2005-11-03, billwg <bi...@twcf.rr.com> wrote:

> "7" <website_...@www.enemygadgets.com> wrote in message
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/03/browser_survey/
>>
>> Firefox gets 11.5% of global market share
>> while internet exploder use declines.
>>
>> The irony is that since open source Firefox has more than
>> 7% of the global market share, it has now become
>> mainstream product and no one including microshaft
>> can refuse to support standards compliant browser
>> like Firefox.
>>
>> They can always try and find themselves in court
>> sooner rather than later.
>>

> "Although OneStat.com has witnessed a steady increase in Firefox usage
> over recent months other firms report the opposite trend. Last month,
> web applications provider NetApplications reported that Firefox was
> losing ground to IE with usage of the open source browser down to 8.07
> per cent in July compared to 8.71 per cent in June 2005.

And just four months ago...

June 10, 2005
FIREFOX CONTINUES TO ERODE MICROSOFT DOMINANCE

NetApplications, a leader in Web-based applications that measure, monitor
and market Web sites for the Small to Medium Enterprise (SME), today
announced through its monthly Web site traffic analysis that Firefox
continues to sway users away from Microsoft's Internet Explorer.

FireFox reached 8% during the month of May up from 7.38 % in April.
FireFox's gain is Microsoft's loss whose base dipped to 87.23% in May down
.77% from April of 2005. Safari also gained a modest tenth of a percentage
posting 1.91% in May 2005. Most other browsers experienced little change
during the same time period.

"While 87-percent market share may seem like market dominance, the numbers
are revealing an average of .5 to 1% loss of users each month," noted Dan
Shapero, Chief Operating Officer of NetApplications. "FireFox is gaining
traction with early adopters and its popularity and adoption rate are
starting to tap into mass-market acceptance as buzz continues to build."

May 2005 Browser/Market Share:
Microsoft Internet Explorer - 87.23%
FireFox - 8.06%
Netscape - 1.64%
Safari - 1.91%
Mozilla - 0.58%
Opera - 0.51%
Other - 0.07%

CITATION
http://www.netapplications.com/news.asp

Seems like NetApplications flails in the breeze when it comes to statistics
and product opnions.

Of course, nobody should trust an ASP using Windows 2000 for their web
server. Talk about worst of breed!

Blood Money

Nov 3, 2005, 11:08:10 PM11/3/05

Yeah, in typical Microsoft fashion...

"Only Microsoft would publicly promise a summer beta of a product, and then
actually ship that beta but fail to provide it to users without any
explanation at all. Months after revealing that it would ship Internet
Explorer (IE) 7 Beta 1, Microsoft did just that yesterday, but declined to
make it publicly available. Instead, only MSDN and TechNet subscribers, and
private beta testers, have access to IE 7 Beta 1."

Long
http://www.windowsitpro.com/windowspaulthurrott/Article/ArticleID/47181/windowspaulthurrott_47181.html

Short
http://tinyurl.com/batpu

Erik Funkenbusch

Nov 4, 2005, 12:33:12 AM11/4/05
On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 22:08:10 -0600, Blood Money wrote:

>> Umm.. no, IE7 is supposed to ship significantly before Vista does.
>
> Yeah, in typical Microsoft fashion...
>
> "Only Microsoft would publicly promise a summer beta of a product, and then
> actually ship that beta but fail to provide it to users without any
> explanation at all. Months after revealing that it would ship Internet
> Explorer (IE) 7 Beta 1, Microsoft did just that yesterday, but declined to
> make it publicly available. Instead, only MSDN and TechNet subscribers, and
> private beta testers, have access to IE 7 Beta 1."

Unfortunately, there seemed to be some confusion over the term "public
beta". Microsoft uses the term to refer to a beta that you do not need to
sign a non-disclosure for. The fact that it was available to MSDN and
Technet members without NDA qualifies. It wasn't released to non-program
members, and lots of people were upset about that. Frankly, that's just
stupid anyways, since Beta 1 wasn't much to write home about.

Thomas Wootten

Nov 4, 2005, 5:50:41 AM11/4/05
Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

that's just ONE website. a somewhat technical one.

find a different site and you'll find different figures. Unfortunately few
sites seems to publish their stats. w3schools does because it's kind of
relevant since they're a site for web developers.

it's a nonrepresentative sample, Erik. go online and read up on basic
statistical methods.

--
Tom Wootten, Fresher NatSci, Trinity Hall.
oof.trinhall.cam.ac.uk

William Poaster

Nov 4, 2005, 5:58:41 AM11/4/05
On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 21:41:38 -0600, a broadcast message from the Blood
Money console, was as follows:

I believe the local priest has also offered to marry his parents,
wherever they are. I hear tell that his father went back to the jungle...

--
Lie of the 70's = The check is in the mail
Lie of the 80's = Trickle down economics

r.e.b...@usa.net

Nov 4, 2005, 9:09:20 AM11/4/05
I realize that this is only a statistical sampling. But if you figure
that there are something like 700 million web users out there, and
Firefox it at 18.8%, doesn't that mean that Firefox is now installed on
OVER 100 million machines? 18% of 700 million is 126 million.

Second, is there any possibility that the "peak" may have been because
Microsoft oriented sites have been increasing their DHCP pool and
therefore skewing the counts in favor of IE?

Of course, what I found significant was that several web sites that
were using ActiveX and could only be accessed using IE have now changed
their sites to use Fire-Fox compatible software such as simpler forms
or Java2 applets.

Firefox is the most successful competitor in an established Microsoft
market since Linux took back much of the Microsoft server market.

The last time Microsoft lost a major chunk of the market like this was
back in 1977, when Apple introduced the Apple ][ and Microsoft's MITS
Altair suddenly looked "antique".

chrisv

Nov 4, 2005, 9:33:15 AM11/4/05
Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

The first IE7 exploit is also due significantly before Vista. 8)

Blood Money

Nov 4, 2005, 10:54:06 AM11/4/05
On 2005-11-04, Erik Funkenbusch <er...@despam-funkenbusch.com> wrote:

Indeed, no argument here. Unfortunatley, percption is everything. Confusion
about product launches always has a negative impact on the product -
in any industry.

Jim Richardson

Nov 4, 2005, 1:54:18 PM11/4/05

My theory is that the great success of Windoze is based entirely on
providing someone to blame....
Jon Tillman in ASP

Jim Richardson

Nov 4, 2005, 1:56:33 PM11/4/05

Windows XP... now runs all your favorite viruses.

Jim Richardson

Nov 4, 2005, 1:58:19 PM11/4/05

If you can't laugh at yourself, someone else is going to do it for you,
and you're not going to enjoy it nearly as much.

7

Nov 4, 2005, 2:27:07 PM11/4/05
linu...@lycos.com wrote:

> 7 wrote:
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/03/browser_survey/
>>
>> Firefox gets 11.5% of global market share
>> while internet exploder use declines.
>>
>> The irony is that since open source Firefox has more than
>> 7% of the global market share, it has now become
>> mainstream product and no one including microshaft
>> can refuse to support standards compliant browser
>> like Firefox.
>>
>> They can always try and find themselves in court
>> sooner rather than later.
>

> what a idiot. your one of the dumbest of all the lintard morons.
>
> people who build web sites don't go to court.

Are you sure?
If you are a monopoly and started descrimintating
against a competitor even though they are
declared a mainstream product, do you really think
you can explain before a judge a) why you descrimated
and b) that you are descriminating against a mainstream
product? It will not work for a monopoly.

> there is no law that
> forces sites to be 100% compat with standards. and there never will be.
> this is america idiot and not some communist nation.

Well you have written as a practicing commie working for micoshaft
trying to undermine freedoms, free software and against
business enterprises that want to establish themselves under
the freedom banner.

> freedom means
> being able to create any kind of web site you want.

Freedom means not having to be descriminated against.

> too bad lintards who make stupid posts aren't sent to jail. if that
> were the case you would be serving a life sentence for being stupid.
> you'd be somebodies prison bitch right now you idiot.

See what I mean when I say you write like a
practicing commie bastard working for micoshaft.
Is micoshaft overrun with commies trying to undermine
the free software businesses and movement?

lqu...@uku.co.uk

Nov 4, 2005, 2:29:38 PM11/4/05

Jim Richardson wrote:

> On 4 Nov 2005 06:09:20 -0800,
> r.e.b...@usa.net <r.e.b...@usa.net> wrote:
>
> > Second, is there any possibility that the "peak" may have been because
> > Microsoft oriented sites have been increasing their DHCP pool and
> > therefore skewing the counts in favor of IE?
> >

> wrf does *this* mean? "DHCP pool"? "Microsoft oriented sites"?

It means nothing. It's another 'conspiracy theory' that's meant to
imply that the figures are invalid. (He'll probably claim that Firefox
really has 80% marketshare). Supposedly Microsoft is manipulating IP
addresses to fool these sites and skew the reports.

Reaper, TG

Nov 5, 2005, 3:28:54 PM11/5/05
On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 10:58:19 -0800, Jim Richardson <war...@eskimo.com>
wrote:

>On 4 Nov 2005 06:09:20 -0800,
> r.e.b...@usa.net <r.e.b...@usa.net> wrote:
>
>> Second, is there any possibility that the "peak" may have been because
>> Microsoft oriented sites have been increasing their DHCP pool and
>> therefore skewing the counts in favor of IE?
>>

>wrf does *this* mean? "DHCP pool"? "Microsoft oriented sites"?

Call from Linux advocate for Rex to claify/support nonsense claim duly
noted :)

--
Cheers
T.G. Reaper

T.G. Reaper
Gentoo & Windows user..The right OS for the right job.

Jim Richardson

Nov 5, 2005, 5:27:39 PM11/5/05

I never believe anything until it's been officially denied.

Peter Köhlmann

Nov 5, 2005, 6:14:39 PM11/5/05
begin virus.txt.scr Reaper, TG wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 10:58:19 -0800, Jim Richardson <war...@eskimo.com>
> wrote:

>>On 4 Nov 2005 06:09:20 -0800,
>> r.e.b...@usa.net <r.e.b...@usa.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Second, is there any possibility that the "peak" may have been because
>>> Microsoft oriented sites have been increasing their DHCP pool and
>>> therefore skewing the counts in favor of IE?
>>>

>>wrf does *this* mean? "DHCP pool"? "Microsoft oriented sites"?
>>

> Call from Linux advocate for Rex to claify/support nonsense claim duly
> noted :)

Why do you assume that people actually read what Rex writes?
My standard reply to *all* his posts is "next"
I simply don't read them, so why do you expect to have them refuted, as most
other regulars here react similar?
--
Howe's Law: Everyone has a scheme that will not work.

linu...@lycos.com

Nov 5, 2005, 7:35:27 PM11/5/05

more nonsense from another typical lintard. i suppose that you think MS
is also responsible for your brain damage.

Tim Smith

Nov 5, 2005, 8:38:19 PM11/5/05

Here's an interesting stat. My web site basically has four things that
might be of interest to people other than me.

(1) Strange, amusing, kinky, weird links I've run across.

(2) A rather lame blog.

(3) An NNTP xover cache.

those three things are mostly of interest to my friends or to a very
small number of people. In other words, its a low traffic site, except
for:

(4) A couple videos showing how to get to some interesting places in
"World of Warcraft".

That last is most of my traffic, and has been for the last few months.
So, this is most likely people who are using Windows, and are gamers,
and so are more likely to be technology leaders than followers.

Browser breakdown:

Firefox 38.6%
IE 26.5%
Mozilla 19.3%
Safari 6.2%
Unknown 4.8%
Opera 1.9%
Konqueror 1.9%
Lynx 0.4%

It's only one data point, from a small site, but I think it indicates
that Firefox may be quite popular among the younger, more
technologically sophisticated Windows users.

--
--Tim Smith

Jesse F. Hughes

Nov 6, 2005, 3:47:54 AM11/6/05
Jim Richardson <war...@eskimo.com> writes:

> On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 12:28:54 -0800,
> Reaper, TG <Rea...@127.0.0.1.Com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 10:58:19 -0800, Jim Richardson <war...@eskimo.com>
>> wrote:

>>>wrf does *this* mean? "DHCP pool"? "Microsoft oriented sites"?
>>>

>> Call from Linux advocate for Rex to claify/support nonsense claim duly
>> noted :)
>>

> This one is even more bizarre than most of Rex's babble. It sounds like
> he thinks dhcp has something to do with connecting to a given website, rather
> than the connection to the net itself. But I am not sure.

No, I think his theory is something like this: web sites count hits
from different IP addresses differently, so if you increase the number
of IP addresses in the DHCP pool of Microsoft-using domains, then
more machines are counted as Windows.

It's not much of a theory, but it's one of the better Rex Ballard
theories.

--
Jesse F. Hughes
"There are VERY FEW real mathematicians and I am one of them. Few of