LONG [News Digest] of news articles for the 24hrs preceeding 12-09-06

1 view

Mark Kent

Sep 12, 2006, 2:44:50 AM9/12/06
This is a digest of the previous 24 hours (GMT day) of [News] postings
in comp.os.linux.advocacy. If you have any comments, suggestions or
remarks, please reply to this message and I will take account of all
that I can. The digest is created from my leafnode news spool, which is
pre-filtered, so some poster's articles might not appear.

====

Subject: [News] Phillipines Gets FOSS Bill from Lobbyist
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 07:37:24 +0100

Copying (by hand) from the PDF.

,----[ Quote ]
`----

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.chinwong.com/Documents/FOSS_bill_draft_.pdf

====

Subject: [News] Students Love GNU/Linux, Microsoft Teaches with FreeBSD
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 07:16:54 +0100

Attracting Students to C# With FreeBSD

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://redmondmag.com/news/article.asp?EditorialsID=2004

====

Subject: [News] MythTV - Easy Setup Television, Powered by GNU/Linux
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 07:29:31 +0100

MythTV - Record and playback all your favourite TV soaps in GNU/Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| KnoppMyth : This is an attempt at making the Linux and MythTV installation
| as trivial as possible...
|
| MythTV for XBox - This is a project which aids in setting up MythTV on
| ones XBox gaming station with ease...
|
| MiniMyth - This is a small Linux distribution which turns a diskless
| computer into a MythTV front-end.
|
| Fedora Myth(TV)ology - This is a project started by Jarod Wilson...
`----

http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2006/09/mythtv-record-and-playback-all-your.html

There's also MythDora from Dennis Hand, whom I corresponded with last month.

====

Subject: [News] Complete Bio-Protected GNU/Linux on Your Keychain
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 07:23:33 +0100

Portable Personal Computing Environment

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/80be/

====

Subject: [News] "Ultimately, open source is the platform of the future"
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 07:20:17 +0100

Millionaire cosmonaut takes on Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://tech.monstersandcritics.com/news/article_1200011.php/Millionaire_cosmonaut_takes_on_Microsoft

====

Subject: [News] Candidate to Become Leader of Japan Loves UNIX/Linux
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 07:55:39 +0100

http://www.s-abe.or.jp/

Look at his homepage.

'Nuff said.

====

Subject: [News] Linux-based Gaming Console Gets GPS (the Hardcore Way)
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 07:25:42 +0100

GPS for GP2X

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://sprite.student.utwente.nl/~jeroen/projects/gpsgp2x/

====

Subject: [News] Bill Gates Installs Mozilla Firefox, Deep in Denial
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 07:52:22 +0100

What Mr. Gates thinks of FireFox

,----[ Quote ]
| Bill Gates is one of the people with FireFox on his computer, so I asked
| him for his opinion.
|
| "So much software gets downloaded all the time, but do people actually use
| it?" he argued
`----

http://www.spreadfirefox.com/node/20152

Sour grapes arguments from Gates. Only yesterday:

Firefox gains share, IE loses

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.itnews.com.au/newsstory.aspx?CIaNID=36640

====

Subject: [News] Want Vista? Then Get New Gear, Licences and... Air Conditioner
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 08:07:00 +0100

Hands on: Running Vista on a MacBook Pro

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9003111

====

Subject: [News] Sansung Telecom Web Site Runs Windows, Gets Hijacked, Spreads Malware, Breaks Apart
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 08:14:13 +0100

Samsung site hijacked as malware host

,----[ Quote ]
| The U.S. corporate website of Samsung Telecom has been hijacked and
| used to host and distribute malware, security vendor Websense has
| revealed.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=709669709&rid=-50

http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=SamsungTelecom.com

I rest me (sic) case. Site is currently (still) down.

====

Subject: [News] Linux Servers Steal the Spotlight
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 08:16:37 +0100

Spotlight: Linux and server report

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/general/0,295582,sid39_gci1213774,00.html

====

Subject: [News] Indonesian Businesses Advised to Go Apple or Linux?
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 08:20:50 +0100

Computing systems for business: Linux or Mac?

,----[ Quote ]
| "It was annoying, the spams and the virus. It slows down my work,
| which relies heavily on e-mails. I can get and send 50 e-mails a day,
| but because of spams my inbox is sometimes crowded with hundreds of
| e-mails, some carrying virus," Ruthie said.
`----

http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailfeatures.asp?fileid=20060911.Q02&irec=1

Tell Ruthie that Windows machines (zomboes) are also responsible for spewing
out all that SPAM.

====

Subject: [News] New Linux Filesystem Fascilitates Distributed Storage
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 08:25:02 +0100

Cleversafe Launches DSGrid File System

,----[ Quote ]
| The Cleversafe project, developers of the world's first open source
| Dispersed Storage software, has launched a new open source project, called
| the DSGrid File System (dsgfs), to allow a dispersed storage grid to appear
| as a mountable file system for Linux-based software applications.
|
| [...]
|
| ...Using the dsgfs, users will be able to seamlessly store data on
| the Cleversafe Research Storage Grid, on a commercial grid or on a grid
| they build themselves. dsgfs initially will support various versions
| of Linux, including Debian, Fedora and CentOS.
|
| "This new project means that most Linux-based applications will now be
| able to seamlessly take advantage of the benefits of dispersed storage,
| which include security, reliability and privacy,? said John Quigley,
| dsgfs project lead. "Cleversafe is inviting organizations and individualst
| o freely participate in the project."
`----

http://www.gridtoday.com/grid/875634.html

I suspect that Google'e GFS achieves the same thing, but is not available to
the public.

====

Subject: [News] Linux Joins the US Navy
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 08:27:44 +0100

Linux helps Navy keep high-tech weapon system updated

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.manufacturing.net/ctl/article/CA6368771.html

====

Subject: [News] Microsoft? Think The Titanic (GOOD READ)
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 08:36:37 +0100

Hasta la Vista, part 2: MSFT Titanic

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://thebeez.vnunetblogs.com/the_beez_speaks/2006/09/hasta_la_vista__1.html

====

Subject: [News] Executives Looking for Open Source Alternatives
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 08:39:08 +0100

RP firms looking for 'open source alternatives'--execs

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://technology.inq7.net/infotech/infotech/view_article.php?article_id=20147

====

Subject: [News] Malaysia Saves Money by Using Open Source in the Public Sector
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 08:56:10 +0100

Expanding open source in public sector

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.ctimes.com.my/BusinessNews/20060911093653/wartrevamp

====

Subject: [News] Why Open Source (Linux) is Better Than Windows
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 14:30:16 +0100

Why Open Source is Better.. Part One

,----[ Quote ]
| E.g. - The computer my mum and sister use was running Windows XP, and
| plagued by spyware, unfixed exploits ... and my phone was ringing all
| the time! "Help..."
|
| One day i got fed up, and decided to pop Ubuntu Linux on the machine.
| I've had two phone calls in the last three months! Quote from my
| technophobe mum: "I like this, it's much easier to use and I don't any
| popups any more."
`----

http://www.jameshooker.com/sitev3/

(The style of this writeup is juvenile)

====

Subject: [News] eyeOS - Another Open Source (GPL/PHP/Apache) Web-based Operating System
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 14:34:56 +0100

What is eyeOS?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://eyeos.org/

====

Subject: [News] Inquirer Review: Vista is a Mess
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 15:01:19 +0100

Microsoft Vista is still a mess

,----[ Conclusion ]
| Vista's still a mess. It's meant to be at release candidate stage, yet
| vendor's are struggling to provide sufficient driver support, features
| are still missing or not yet complete, and its performance compared to XP
| is still poor. Nowadays hardware is cheap, and it would be sufficiently
| acceptable to upgrade in anticipation of a wonderfully revolutionary OS.
| Unfortunately Vista provides little to no benefit for end users compared
| to that of the previous version of Windows, released five years ago
| in 2001.
|
| There are no upgrades or features to the OS that are sufficiently
| compelling to make upgrading a necessity, some which were earlier
| promised, allowed for sufficient reason for an upgrade to be considered,
| but these have been removed one by one over the course of Vista's
| prolonged patchy road of development, and now Vista appears little more
| than an ill-performing version of XP with a glorified interface.
`----

COLA has argued (anticipated/foresaw) this for at least a year. To quote the
bottom line again:

Subject: [News] Vista RC1 Leads to Confusion, Dependency Issues
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 15:07:51 +0100

Vista tests leave us all in the dark

,----[ Quote ]

`----

====

Subject: [News] Open Source Storage Project Kicked Off
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 16:03:10 +0100

Open source storage software project gets green light

,----[ Quote ]
| The IBM-run Eclipse Foundation has created a new open source project
| to develop storage management software.
`----

http://www.techworld.com/networking/news/index.cfm?newsID=6832&pagtype=samechan

Initial announcement/plan (older news):

Eclipse Foundation Creates Open Source Aperi Storage Management Framework

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.ebizq.net/news/7265.html?rss

====

Subject: [News] More Software, More Linux-oriented (Digest)
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 16:07:08 +0100

Cimmetry Releases Linux Version of AutoVue

,----[ Quote ]
| By responding to the evolving needs of a global customer
| base that is increasingly relying on the Linux server platform for its
| technical engineering departments, Cimmetry enhances its leadership
| position in the collaborative visualization market.
`----

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/09-11-2006/0004429932&EDATE=

PIKA Technologies Connects Skype to Asterisk Open Source PBX

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://home.nestor.minsk.by/computers/news/2006/09/1105.html

====

Subject: [News] Company Replaces Windows with Linux in 90 Branches
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 16:10:58 +0100

Hire company charges ahead with Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Kennards Hire is ready to replace Windows server with Linux at 90 branches,
| to accompany 400 desktops already running the open source operating system.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/soa/Hire_company_charges_ahead_with_Linux/0,139023165,339270957,00.htm?feed=rss

*Yawn* What...? Another company dumps Windows?

Many Linux praises in the article, e.g.:

,----[ Quote ]
`----

====

Subject: [News] More Details on IBM's Opening Up of Software in Healthcare
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 16:19:04 +0100

New IBM Software to Facilitate Healthcare Data Exchange

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM announced a major step in the drive toward a national electronic
| medical records system by contributing software technology that supports
| the exchange of healthcare information to the open source community.
`----

This was initially mentioned last month.

IBM brings electronic medical records one step closer through open technology

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://domino.research.ibm.com/comm/pr.nsf/pages/news.20060809_openhealthcare.html

====

Subject: [News] Speculation: Apple-Schmidt for Google OS?
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 16:21:53 +0100

Google and Apple: A Google OS At Last?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2325

====

Subject: [News] Popular MySQL GUI Does GPL
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 16:48:15 +0100

Webyog Contributes the Source Code of Their Flagship Product SQLyog to the
Open Source Community

,----[ Quote ]
| Webyog announced this week that its widely popular product SQLyog -
| an advanced graphical client for administration of MySQL databases,
| will be released under the Open Source GPL license.
|
| [...]
|
| QLyog runs on Windows and the Wine Windows emulator on Linux.
`---- ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Wine Is NOT Emulator (WinE)

http://www.prweb.com/releases/sqlyog-mysql-gui/manager-front-end/prweb434995.htm

Now that's GPL'd, it won't be hard to create a native version for GNU/Linux.

====

Subject: [News] New Video Wall Powered by Linux
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 16:51:44 +0100

1-2-1VIEW Unveils Linux-Based Video Wall Solution

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://linux.sys-con.com/read/270115.htm

====

Subject: [News] Open Source Development Beats Proprietary Counterparts
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 18:42:20 +0100

Eclipse director: Open source development bests proprietary

,----[ Quote ]
| In this exclusive interview, Milinkovich explains how his organization
| was able to effectively deploy 10 projects simultaneously to Eclipse
| developers while proprietary vendors struggled to even get their code out
| the door at times, and why having a lot of plug-ins is great so long as
| IT managers can find them effectively.
`----

http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1215034,00.html
http://tinyurl.com/hfxlz

Also see:

Eclipse Adoption on The Rise

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.devxnews.com/article.php/3630071

====

Subject: [News] Windows is Insecure Because It Was Simply Born That Way
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 18:47:32 +0100

Linux vs Windows

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://jsemmanuel.blogspot.com/2006/09/linux-vs-windows.html

====

Subject: [News] Windows Can Silently CORRUPT Data
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 19:12:20 +0100

MS06-049 Causing Silent Data Corruption

,----[ Quote ]
| "It looks like there is a problem with the recently released MS06-049
| / KB920958 patch. If you have compression activated on any folder, then
| the compressed data is at risk from corruption. New files that are close
| to a multiple of 4K in size will have their last 4,000 bytes or so
| overwritten with 0xDF. Although this problem has been reported to
| Microsoft, as yet there appears to have been no official announcement."
`----

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/09/11/1342224&from=rss

I guess these data corruptions prove that XP ought to have BSoD'd more often
than it does. How will a GNU-bee know that some vital data was not erased
some time in the past? Silent loss of data is usually worse than having to
reinstall the O/S or having data leaks and ransoms (e.g. hijackers) that are
at least detectable.

====

Subject: [News] Alfresco's Open Source ECM Launched, Runs on Linux
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 19:40:20 +0100

Alfresco Launches First Open Source Records Management Solution

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release_html_b1?release_id=161753

====

Subject: [News] Linux Networx (HPC) Gets Additional $37 Million in Funding
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 19:42:16 +0100

Linux Networx Scores $37M

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.techrockies.com/story/0005273.html

====

Subject: [News] Resolving the Wembley Goal Dispute, Using Linux
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 19:44:29 +0100

Linux system could resolve "Wembley goal" dispute

,----[ Quote ]
| According to statements by the BBC Piero was written in Java and C++
| and builds on top of OpenGL API under Linux.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/78007

Linux also resolves the operating systems dispute.

====

Subject: [News] Reconciliation With An Abusive Monopoly
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 19:52:26 +0100

FOSS Community, Microsoft And Reconciliation

,----[ Quote ]
`----

====

Subject: [News] Silicon Graphics Pushes GNU/Linux Into the Clusters
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 20:02:46 +0100

SGI Brings Real-Time Performance and Streamlined Cluster Management to
Open Source Linux With SGI ProPack 5

,----[ Quote ]
| SGI today unveiled SGI ProPack(TM) 5 for Linux(R), the latest version of
| its software supplement that boosts the capabilities and performance
| of industry- standard Linux on the world's most scalable Linux
| servers.
`----

Older news:

SGI drops MIPS Irix computers

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/77763 (in German)

====

Subject: [News] School of Medicine Turns to Open Source, Spreads Like Cancer
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 20:05:12 +0100

College Taps Open-Source App to Solve Costly Paper Chase

,----[ Quote ]
| Going with an open-source application also saved the school plenty of
| money by avoiding the need for licensing fees, according to Charlie
| Hitlin, manager of application development and media services for the
| UNC-CH SOM. The SOM's open-source experiment also paved the way for
| other UNC-CH departments to get involved with the free code movement.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2012729,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594

I hope that the subject line doesn't upset anybody. I'm having second
thoughts.

====

| News Digester |

Ray Ingles

Sep 12, 2006, 7:27:23 AM9/12/06
On 2006-09-12, Mark Kent <mark...@demon.co.uk> wrote:
> This is a digest of the previous 24 hours (GMT day) of [News] postings
> in comp.os.linux.advocacy. If you have any comments, suggestions or
> remarks, please reply to this message and I will take account of all
> that I can.

How about a list of the "Subject" lines at the beginning so they are
easier to skim? Otherwise, a good idea. :->

--
Sincerely,

Ray Ingles (313) 227-2317

"If decisive but massive killing actually stopped the other side,
Israel would be as peaceful as Omaha by now." - elmegil

Mark Kent

Sep 12, 2006, 10:52:15 AM9/12/06
begin oe_protect.scr
Ray Ingles <sorc...@localhost.localdomain> espoused:

> On 2006-09-12, Mark Kent <mark...@demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> This is a digest of the previous 24 hours (GMT day) of [News] postings
>> in comp.os.linux.advocacy. If you have any comments, suggestions or
>> remarks, please reply to this message and I will take account of all
>> that I can.
>
> How about a list of the "Subject" lines at the beginning so they are
> easier to skim? Otherwise, a good idea. :->

Interesting idea... guess I could do it with two sed runs. I'll take a
look at that.

"... freedom ... is a worship word..."
"It is our worship word too."
-- Cloud William and Kirk, "The Omega Glory", stardate unknown

Roy Schestowitz

Sep 12, 2006, 11:38:12 AM9/12/06
__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Tuesday 12 September 2006 15:52 \__

> begin oe_protect.scr
> Ray Ingles <sorc...@localhost.localdomain> espoused:
>> On 2006-09-12, Mark Kent <mark...@demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>> This is a digest of the previous 24 hours (GMT day) of [News] postings
>>> in comp.os.linux.advocacy. If you have any comments, suggestions or
>>> remarks, please reply to this message and I will take account of all
>>> that I can.
>>
>> How about a list of the "Subject" lines at the beginning so they are
>> easier to skim? Otherwise, a good idea. :->
>>

> Interesting idea... guess I could do it with two sed runs. I'll take a
> look at that.

An index would be neat, but I should probably stay out of this discussion.
*smile*

flatfish+++

Sep 12, 2006, 12:23:28 PM9/12/06

Yea....
You might lose some hits on your webpage and you wouldn't have Mark's nose
up your butt shilling for you.

Hadron Quark

Sep 12, 2006, 12:26:08 PM9/12/06
Mark Kent <mark...@demon.co.uk> writes:

> This is a digest of the previous 24 hours (GMT day) of [News] postings
> in comp.os.linux.advocacy. If you have any comments, suggestions or
> remarks, please reply to this message and I will take account of all
> that I can. The digest is created from my leafnode news spool, which is
> pre-filtered, so some poster's articles might not appear.
>
> ====
>
> Subject: [News] Phillipines Gets FOSS Bill from Lobbyist
> Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 07:37:24 +0100

remove [News] - its redundant. Ditto for "Subject:" . Center subject text
with date underneath.

--
Except for Great Britain. According to ISO 9166 and Internet reality
Great Britain's toplevel domain should be _gb_. Instead, Great Britain

Hadron Quark

Sep 12, 2006, 12:35:21 PM9/12/06
Roy Schestowitz <newsg...@schestowitz.com> writes:

An index would not be very useful for a very obvious reason : it cant be posted
in html with links. It would be yet more redundancy.

> An index would be neat, but I should probably stay out of this discussion.
> *smile*

Yes. If you posted them as an original digest like any sane person
would, we wouldnt be having this discussion and Mark wouldnt have to act
like your secretary.

--
Apples have meant trouble since eden.
-- MaDsen Wikholm, mwik...@at8.abo.fi

Ray Ingles

Sep 12, 2006, 12:44:32 PM9/12/06
On 2006-09-12, Hadron Quark <qadro...@geemail.com> wrote:
> An index would not be very useful for a very obvious reason : it cant be posted
> in html with links. It would be yet more redundancy.

It would allow you to inspect the list of subjects and see if there was
anything you wanted to scroll down to see. Kind of like what the subject
view already does in, say, a newsreader...

>> An index would be neat, but I should probably stay out of this discussion.
>> *smile*
>
> Yes. If you posted them as an original digest like any sane person
> would, we wouldnt be having this discussion and Mark wouldnt have to act
> like your secretary.

Now, see, *I* asked politely and the idea's being considered. Might I
diffidently suggest that a more civil tone could be more productive?

--
Sincerely,

Ray Ingles (313) 227-2317

"Is knowledge knowable? If not, how do we know this?"
- Woody Allen

Hadron Quark

Sep 12, 2006, 1:49:30 PM9/12/06
Ray Ingles <sorc...@localhost.localdomain> writes:

> On 2006-09-12, Hadron Quark <qadro...@geemail.com> wrote:
>> An index would not be very useful for a very obvious reason : it cant be posted
>> in html with links. It would be yet more redundancy.
>
> It would allow you to inspect the list of subjects and see if there was
> anything you wanted to scroll down to see. Kind of like what the subject
> view already does in, say, a newsreader...
>
>>> An index would be neat, but I should probably stay out of this discussion.
>>> *smile*
>>
>> Yes. If you posted them as an original digest like any sane person
>> would, we wouldnt be having this discussion and Mark wouldnt have to act
>> like your secretary.
>
> Now, see, *I* asked politely and the idea's being considered. Might I
> diffidently suggest that a more civil tone could be more productive?

You will find I did. And got called a wintroll. Sorry : I treat as I
find too.

--
The POP3 server service depends on the SMTP server service, which
failed to start because of the following error:

Peter Köhlmann

Sep 12, 2006, 3:05:41 PM9/12/06
Hadron Quark wrote:

> Ray Ingles <sorc...@localhost.localdomain> writes:
>
>> On 2006-09-12, Hadron Quark <qadro...@geemail.com> wrote:
>>> An index would not be very useful for a very obvious reason : it cant be
>>> posted in html with links. It would be yet more redundancy.
>>
>> It would allow you to inspect the list of subjects and see if there was
>> anything you wanted to scroll down to see. Kind of like what the subject
>> view already does in, say, a newsreader...

>>> Yes. If you posted them as an original digest like any sane person
>>> would, we wouldnt be having this discussion and Mark wouldnt have to act
>>> like your secretary.
>>
>> Now, see, *I* asked politely and the idea's being considered. Might I
>> diffidently suggest that a more civil tone could be more productive?
>
> You will find I did. And got called a wintroll.

Because you are one

> Sorry : I treat as I find too.

Now where have we heard that before?
Simon Cooke comes to mind, the worst asshole ever to post on usenet
--
Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have!

Mark Kent

Sep 12, 2006, 5:10:09 PM9/12/06
begin oe_protect.scr
Ray Ingles <sorc...@localhost.localdomain> espoused:
> On 2006-09-12, Hadron Quark <qadro...@geemail.com> wrote:
>> An index would not be very useful for a very obvious reason : it cant be posted
>> in html with links. It would be yet more redundancy.
>
> It would allow you to inspect the list of subjects and see if there was
> anything you wanted to scroll down to see. Kind of like what the subject
> view already does in, say, a newsreader...

Some people are not to be pleased, are they? This chap was the person
who was first asking for a digest, afairc.

>>> An index would be neat, but I should probably stay out of this discussion.
>>> *smile*
>>
>> Yes. If you posted them as an original digest like any sane person
>> would, we wouldnt be having this discussion and Mark wouldnt have to act
>> like your secretary.
>
> Now, see, *I* asked politely and the idea's being considered. Might I
> diffidently suggest that a more civil tone could be more productive?

Also, I don't think Mr Quark considered the very obvious issue that
digests can only be made /after/ the postings have happened, not before.
I'm sure he's regretting that little oversight, as evidenced by the
above.

Mark Kent

Sep 12, 2006, 5:11:35 PM9/12/06
begin oe_protect.scr
Peter Köhlmann <peter.k...@t-online.de> espoused:

> Hadron Quark wrote:
>
>> Ray Ingles <sorc...@localhost.localdomain> writes:

>>> It would allow you to inspect the list of subjects and see if there was
>>> anything you wanted to scroll down to see. Kind of like what the subject
>>> view already does in, say, a newsreader...

>>> Now, see, *I* asked politely and the idea's being considered. Might I
>>> diffidently suggest that a more civil tone could be more productive?
>>
>> You will find I did. And got called a wintroll.
>
> Because you are one

He wanted a digest, I've made him one. He's still not happy. And this,
in spite of his consistently posting off-topic in this group.

Tim Smith

Sep 12, 2006, 8:41:47 PM9/12/06
In article <slrnegd6dr....@localhost.localdomain>,

Ray Ingles <sorc...@localhost.localdomain> wrote:
> How about a list of the "Subject" lines at the beginning so they are
> easier to skim? Otherwise, a good idea. :->

RFC1153

--
--Tim Smith

Ray Ingles

Sep 13, 2006, 10:29:08 AM9/13/06

Works for me. Thanks for digging that up!

--
Sincerely,

Ray Ingles (313) 227-2317

"...apparently, the Department of Homeland Security has absolutely no plan
for dealing with devastation on this scale, which is supposedly the thing
we've all been worried about for four years."
- Tom Tomorrow, on hurricane Katrina

Mark Kent

Sep 13, 2006, 11:26:34 AM9/13/06
begin oe_protect.scr
Ray Ingles <sorc...@localhost.localdomain> espoused:
> On 2006-09-13, Tim Smith <reply_i...@mouse-potato.com> wrote:
>> In article <slrnegd6dr....@localhost.localdomain>,
>> Ray Ingles <sorc...@localhost.localdomain> wrote:
>>> How about a list of the "Subject" lines at the beginning so they are
>>> easier to skim? Otherwise, a good idea. :->
>>
>> RFC1153
>
> Works for me. Thanks for digging that up!

1153 is intended for mail readers like mutt which can decompose the
digest back into individual messages. This wasn't my original plan, but
I see no reason why it couldn't be done.

Any other thoughts?

Fill what's empty, empty what's full, scratch where it itches.
-- Alice Roosevelt Longworth