LSE: What really went wrong

Marti Van Lin

Mar 5, 2011, 3:44:55 PM3/5/11
http://www.computerworlduk.com/news/it-business/3263747/london-stock-exchange-what-really-went-wrong/

http://tinyurl.com/6k76gl8

It's a two page article, so I couldn't decide what to quote.

Bottom line: The trolls made fools out of them selves once more. Had
*nothing* to do with GNU/Linux.

The comment by Jerry Kreps is worth reading!

Welcome to the Slog!

--
|_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin, alias ML2MST
|_|_|0| Registered GNU/Linux user 513040
|0|0|0| http://www.soundclick.com/martivanlin

7

Mar 5, 2011, 4:42:23 PM3/5/11
Marti Van Lin wrote:

> http://www.computerworlduk.com/news/it-business/3263747/london-stock-

exchange-what-really-went-wrong/

> http://tinyurl.com/6k76gl8
>
> It's a two page article, so I couldn't decide what to quote.
>
> Bottom line: The trolls made fools out of them selves once more. Had
> *nothing* to do with GNU/Linux.
>
> The comment by Jerry Kreps is worth reading!
>
> Welcome to the Slog!

Trolls are increasingly desperate.
They sniff any hint of anti-Linux news they first draw a nose with it
and then draw an entire face with it forgetting they are trolls
and not empowered to understand anything Linux, technical,
or materially relevant background information and anything that
may have alternative explanation.

The trolls and their desperation to service their dishonesty
is clear for all to see.

JeffM

Mar 5, 2011, 8:18:06 PM3/5/11
>It's a two page article, so I couldn't decide what to quote.

I'll have a go.

:A rule had come into force[...]that vendors had to set their systems
:to report closing prices at 16.30 each day
:–-after the end of normal trading but before the daily closing
auction.
:
:vendors, which provide share price data from the LSE to traders
:[...]compete on speed and quality.
:[...]
:Several providers made it clear
:they felt incensed about the mandated switch of closing time data to
16.30
:
...and, apparently, chose to monkeywrench the system.
GIGO. Congratulations, asswipes.
Another example of corporations who prefer anti-competitive memes
rather than *actual* competition.

:The LSE's rule, insisting on taking closing prices at 16.30,
:has now been abandoned.
:
...so, apparently, the anti-competitive asswipes won.

:Other providers felt the change to procedures was simple
:and did not bring with it much coding effort.
:"If you want to do business with the exchange[,]
:you accept simple change requirements,
:even if it means dealing with your own legacy systems,
:said a mid-sized vendor.
:We can either stamp our feet like spoiled children or just get on
with it."
:
aka 21st-Century businessmen adapting
--rather than dinosaurs acting like fossils.

Big Steel

Mar 5, 2011, 8:34:59 PM3/5/11
On 3/5/2011 3:44 PM, Marti Van Lin wrote:
> http://www.computerworlduk.com/news/it-business/3263747/london-stock-exchange-what-really-went-wrong/
>

> http://tinyurl.com/6k76gl8
>
> It's a two page article, so I couldn't decide what to quote.
>
> Bottom line: The trolls made fools out of them selves once more. Had
> *nothing* to do with GNU/Linux.
>
> The comment by Jerry Kreps is worth reading!
>
> Welcome to the Slog!

I'll tell what went wrong. The application as a whole is slop.

flatfish+++

Mar 5, 2011, 8:46:56 PM3/5/11

Yep.

It should have kicked out an error rather than posting incorrect times.
What if those things had been checks printing?

Typical Linux SLOP WARE programming.

With Linux, you certainly get what you don't pay for.

Chris Ahlstrom

Mar 6, 2011, 9:21:36 AM3/6/11
Marti Van Lin wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> http://www.computerworlduk.com/news/it-business/3263747/london-stock-exchange-what-really-went-wrong/
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6k76gl8
>
> It's a two page article, so I couldn't decide what to quote.
>
> Bottom line: The trolls made fools out of them selves once more. Had
> *nothing* to do with GNU/Linux.
>
> The comment by Jerry Kreps is worth reading!
>
> Welcome to the Slog!

The LSE's rule, insisting on taking closing prices at 16.30, has now
been abandoned. The exchange has reverted to allowing price data to be
recorded after the closing auction - in accordance with traditional
ways of working.

. . .

It remains unclear why the change to closing price data procedures was
introduced with the new system. But market sources said they were not
convinced that Millennium Exchange was ready to deliver effective
post-auction close prices.

--
Tonight you will pay the wages of sin; Don't forget to leave a tip.

7

Mar 6, 2011, 4:43:36 PM3/6/11
Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

I think what they are trying to say is that closing prices
should reflect what the price was at closing time.
So no more updates can be sent to the system.
But some arm chair trading houses want to set the closing
price at their own leisure for some kind of gain from
doing this. Most probably proping up a share price that
tanked by doing last minute trades between brokers that know
each other that may have taken place
after the market has technically closed and everyone else
have no opportunity to participate in such trading.

High Plains Thumper

Mar 6, 2011, 10:51:57 PM3/6/11
Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
> Marti Van Lin wrote this:

>> http://www.computerworlduk.com/news/it-business/3263747/london-stock-exchange-what-really-went-wrong/
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/6k76gl8
>>
>> It's a two page article, so I couldn't decide what to quote. Bottom
>> line: The trolls made fools out of them selves once more. Had
>> *nothing* to do with GNU/Linux. The comment by Jerry Kreps is worth
>> reading! Welcome to the Slog!
>
> The LSE's rule, insisting on taking closing prices at 16.30, has
> now been abandoned. The exchange has reverted to allowing price data
> to be recorded after the closing auction - in accordance with
> traditional ways of working. . . .
>
> It remains unclear why the change to closing price data
> procedures was introduced with the new system. But market sources
> said they were not convinced that Millennium Exchange was ready to
> deliver effective post-auction close prices.

Also states,

[quote]
Privately, the London Stock Exchange believes the 15-month time period,
given to vendors to prepare for the switch, was adequate. However, the
largest vendors may have missed, misinterpreted or in some cases decided
not to comply with the instructions.
[/quote]

Sounds like the convicted monopoly's way of instituting ODF. Their
version simply doesn't work, which is their way of thumbing the nose at
others not theirs.

[quote]
But the LSE took a big bang approach to the actual switchover.
Millennium Exchange went live after the weekend that the troubled,
outgoing TradElect platform was unceremoniously switched off.
[/quote]

IOW, TradElect sucked, LOL.

[quote]
The LSE argues that it gave plenty of proper testing and preparation
time, and that the vendors should have been ready. It has been working
with them to resolve the issues.
[/quote]

Lemme guess the opposition - "It's either our way or the highway." It
would have been better to have complied.

--
HPT

Big Steel

Mar 6, 2011, 11:05:29 PM3/6/11
On 3/6/2011 10:51 PM, High Plains Thumper wrote:

<snipped>

I can't believe these clowns are finger-pointing on something they know
nothing about.

It's not about poor, analysis, development, testing and the blind
leading the blind.

flatfish+++

Mar 6, 2011, 11:07:46 PM3/6/11

And of course LSE is being cryptic about these failures simply because
they already have egg on their face and don't want any more.

If the real truth ever surfaces, you can bet that Linux will be the root
cause.

This isn't the first failure, there will be more and at some point they
will have to admit they fscked up by migrating to a basement developed
operating system.

bbgruff

Mar 7, 2011, 1:18:14 PM3/7/11

Yep. Happens all the time - only last week, that flatfish chap was trying
to point the finger at Linux over this :-)

High Plains Thumper

Mar 7, 2011, 11:28:05 PM3/7/11
bbgruff wrote:

> Big Steel wrote:
>> High Plains Thumper wrote:
>>
>> <snipped>
>>
>> I can't believe these clowns are finger-pointing on something they know
>> nothing about. It's not about poor, analysis, development, testing and
>> the blind leading the blind.
>
> Yep. Happens all the time - only last week, that flatfish chap was
> trying to point the finger at Linux over this :-)

Yup. It's why I don't pay much attention to these libelling whining
psychopathic stalkers, paying homage to their convicted monopoly's
evangelistic jihads with their venerable leaders, LOL.

--
HPT

Big Steel

Mar 7, 2011, 11:33:51 PM3/7/11

I don't trust anything you have to say you half truth idiot as far as
you can half throw a building somewhere.

You showed how trifling, low-down and petty you can be as a human
being, a Linux user.

flatfish+++

Mar 7, 2011, 11:42:25 PM3/7/11

Yet you can't stop talking about it.

What a fake, phony and fraud you are HPT.

DFS

Mar 7, 2011, 11:45:35 PM3/7/11

Left side of his idiot piehole: "I don't pay much attention to trolls"

Right side of his idiot piehole: 95% of his posts are about "trolls".

flatfish+++

Mar 7, 2011, 11:46:32 PM3/7/11

HPT is doing the same thing on identica.ca and Slimeowitz's irc.
He gets ignored over there.

Big Steel

Mar 7, 2011, 11:50:33 PM3/7/11

LOL....

bbgruff

Mar 8, 2011, 6:37:44 AM3/8/11

If you could translate that into English, and then perhaps give some
indication of what you are talking about, I would not only be obliged, but
also perhaps able to comprehend what you are talking about.

RonB

Mar 8, 2011, 7:49:44 AM3/8/11

Don't demand the impossible from him. He's actually doing pretty well for
some-*thing* without opposable thumbs and frontal lobes.

--
RonB
Registered Linux User #498581