No Mention Of Linux In Dell Sept Catalog

1 view

dont.p...@yahoo.com

Sep 7, 2007, 10:57:45 AM9/7/07
Here is the online version of the September Dell Catalog that was
mailed out last week.

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/catalog?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

Not a single mention of Linux ANYWHERE in the catalog.

Maybe the online version of the catalog is different but a quick look
shows it looks the same.

All kinds of back to school, business, college, student stuff and Dell
Reccomends MICOROSFT VISTA logos EVERYWHERE.

So where is this great push of Linux Dell is supposedly doing?
Where the hell are they hiding it?
And why?

Maybe Dell knows full well that Linux as a desktop system is about as
in demand as Bubonic Plague.

Expect Dell to quietly dump Linux, if they haven't already because
it's difficult to tell.

Cpl Kronk

Sep 7, 2007, 11:03:26 AM9/7/07

<dont.p...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

It's easy to explain.

+ Microsoft bribery

+ Microsoft corruption

+ Microsoft lock-in

+ Microsoft is threatening Dell

+ Microsoft forced Dell to sign a secret contract

+ Microsoft controls the publisher who printed the catalog

+ Microsoft is holding Michael Dell's children as hostages

+ Microsoft controls the government which passed a secret law making it
illegal for Dell to sell linux.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Sep 7, 2007, 11:20:11 AM9/7/07
If Dell sells an open sores, low demand, operating system such as Linux,
then they would be required to offer customer technical support for it.
Image the huge expense of training and maintaining support personnel for
Linux, especially with the wide variety of Linux versions available and
steep customer learning curve.

Dell is in the business of trying to make a profit. If their business model
shows supporting Linux is a money loser, good business sense would
naturally dictate dropping Linux as a low-demand, unprofitable product.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Jeanette

Sep 7, 2007, 11:43:34 AM9/7/07
Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> If Dell sells an open sores, low demand, operating system such as Linux,
> then they would be required to offer customer technical support for it.
> Image the huge expense of training and maintaining support personnel for
> Linux, especially with the wide variety of Linux versions available and
> steep customer learning curve.
>
> Dell is in the business of trying to make a profit. If their business model
> shows supporting Linux is a money loser, good business sense would
> naturally dictate dropping Linux as a low-demand, unprofitable product.

Yes the sales of Linux have been so poor at Dell that they decided
to expand the program.

http://www.canada.com/topics/technology/news/gizmos/story.html?id=96d273a7-f655-4c31-aade-f8799828a873&k=52601

John Bailo, Texeme.Construct

Sep 7, 2007, 11:46:56 AM9/7/07
On Sep 7, 7:57 am, dont.pull...@yahoo.com wrote:

> Not a single mention of Linux ANYWHERE in the catalog.

You don't have to advertise something that sells itself.

>All kinds of back to school, business, college, student stuff and Dell
> Reccomends MICOROSFT VISTA logos EVERYWHERE.

Sure, they have to pull out all the stops to get people to buy Vista.

Buying linux is a no brainer -- it's grown worldwide with almost any
advertising or pumping whatsoever.

DP

Sep 7, 2007, 11:45:50 AM9/7/07

For what it's worth:
I note that the OP is linking to a US catalog while Alias is linking to UK.
Could it be that Dell has given up on Linux in the USA?

I don't really care if people use Linux. I'm glad they do and I may try it
again one day myself.

But if Dell has given up on Linux in the US, I think that's a big deal. And
keep in mind that I'm saying IF.
I don't know if they've given up on it in the US or not, but it seems like
maybe they have.

"Cpl Kronk" <kro...@nospam.net> wrote in message

DP

Sep 7, 2007, 11:51:35 AM9/7/07

Forget what I said. They do still sell them in the USA

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/ubuntu?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

But am I reading that correctly? They sell only THREE computers with Ubuntu?
Or am I missing something?

"DP" <nos...@nospam.com> wrote in message

norm

Sep 7, 2007, 12:26:03 PM9/7/07
Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> If Dell sells an open sores, low demand, operating system such as Linux,
> then they would be required to offer customer technical support for it.
> Image the huge expense of training and maintaining support personnel for
> Linux, especially with the wide variety of Linux versions available and
> steep customer learning curve.
>
> Dell is in the business of trying to make a profit. If their business model
> shows supporting Linux is a money loser, good business sense would
> naturally dictate dropping Linux as a low-demand, unprofitable product.

And selling machines with windows is any different in terms of having to
provide customer technical support personnel for the os? And fwiw,
dell is not selling computers with a wide variety of linux versions. It
is selling computers with unbuntu.

--
norm

Cpl Kronk

Sep 7, 2007, 12:31:49 PM9/7/07

"norm" <no...@afakeddomain.net> wrote in message

> Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
>> If Dell sells an open sores, low demand, operating system such as Linux,
>> then they would be required to offer customer technical support for it.
>> Image the huge expense of training and maintaining support personnel for
>> Linux, especially with the wide variety of Linux versions available and
>> steep customer learning curve.
>>
>> Dell is in the business of trying to make a profit. If their business
>> model
>> shows supporting Linux is a money loser, good business sense would
>> naturally dictate dropping Linux as a low-demand, unprofitable product.
>
> And selling machines with windows is any different in terms of having to
> provide customer technical support personnel for the os?

Except that everyone already knows how to use and support Windows so its
easier.

> And fwiw, dell is not selling computers with a wide variety of linux
> versions. It is selling computers with unbuntu.

What's an unbuntu? I thought Dell was shipping some computers with linux.

Kier

Sep 7, 2007, 12:38:43 PM9/7/07
On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 12:31:49 -0400, Cpl Kronk wrote:

> "norm" <no...@afakeddomain.net> wrote in message

>> And fwiw, dell is not selling computers with a wide variety of linux
>> versions. It is selling computers with unbuntu.
>
> What's an unbuntu? I thought Dell was shipping some computers with linux.

For someone who claims to have knowledge of how well Linux is
supposed to be doing on the desktop, you should at least *try* not to show
your ignorance so obviously. 'Ubuntu' (not 'unbuntu', as norm misspelled
it) is the most popular desktop distro at the moment. Maybe you saw it at
the airport and just didn't know what it was.

--
Kier

bob

Sep 7, 2007, 12:43:45 PM9/7/07
On Fri, 7 Sep 2007 12:31:49 -0400, Cpl Kronk wrote:

> "norm" <no...@afakeddomain.net> wrote in message
>> Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
>>> If Dell sells an open sores, low demand, operating system such as Linux,
>>> then they would be required to offer customer technical support for it.
>>> Image the huge expense of training and maintaining support personnel for
>>> Linux, especially with the wide variety of Linux versions available and
>>> steep customer learning curve.
>>>
>>> Dell is in the business of trying to make a profit. If their business
>>> model
>>> shows supporting Linux is a money loser, good business sense would
>>> naturally dictate dropping Linux as a low-demand, unprofitable product.
>>
>> And selling machines with windows is any different in terms of having to
>> provide customer technical support personnel for the os?
>
> Except that everyone already knows how to use and support Windows so its
> easier.

That's nonsense.

>> And fwiw, dell is not selling computers with a wide variety of linux
>> versions. It is selling computers with unbuntu.
>
> What's an unbuntu? I thought Dell was shipping some computers with linux.

Ignorance is not your friend.

--

“When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a
cross.”

Cpl Kronk

Sep 7, 2007, 12:55:56 PM9/7/07

"Kier" <val...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

> On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 12:31:49 -0400, Cpl Kronk wrote:
>

>> "norm" <no...@afakeddomain.net> wrote in message
>
>>> And fwiw, dell is not selling computers with a wide variety of linux
>>> versions. It is selling computers with unbuntu.
>>
>> What's an unbuntu? I thought Dell was shipping some computers with linux.
>
> For someone who claims to have knowledge of how well Linux is
> supposed to be doing on the desktop, you should at least *try* not to show
> your ignorance so obviously. 'Ubuntu' (not 'unbuntu', as norm misspelled
> it) is the most popular desktop distro at the moment.

Ah - so there is no such thing as an unbuntu. This looks like a golden
opportunity for someone to fill the niche.

> Maybe you saw it at
> the airport and just didn't know what it was.

I know what I saw. Or didn't see in this case.

BTW - Congrats on getting your clock working correctly. Did you need to
rebuild your kernel or was simply editing some .rc files and running
modprobe enough to get it working properly?

norm

Sep 7, 2007, 12:57:53 PM9/7/07
I DID make a spelling error and didn't notice. I apologize.

--
norm

Kier

Sep 7, 2007, 2:08:47 PM9/7/07

That's okay. It's been known to happen ;-)

Have you tried Ubuntu, by the way? If you haven't, I'd recommend you give
it a whirl as a Live CD. Or if you want to see another Live implementation
of the GNOME desktop environment, similar to that seen in Ubuntu, but more
like vanilla GNOME, try here:

http://torrent.gnome.org/

(The actual terrent is pretty slow, but there is a standard download too,
I don't know if that is better, but you could find out).

If you do decide to have a go, let us know what you think.

--
Kier

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Sep 7, 2007, 2:20:36 PM9/7/07
Price an identical basic Dell desktop system w/17" LCD monitor with
Windows Vista and then Ubuntu, you'll see the Ubuntu system is actually
$10 more ($549-U vs. $539-V). Dell fully supports Vista at no charge
while it does not support Dell PCs w/Ubuntu installed.

Again, Windows Vista is the clear winner!

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

dennis@home

Sep 7, 2007, 2:34:46 PM9/7/07

> Forget what I said. They do still sell them in the USA
>
> http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/ubuntu?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs
>
> But am I reading that correctly? They sell only THREE computers with
> Ubuntu? Or am I missing something?

Its a wonder they sell any.. have you seen what they charge for support?
I doubt if many new users are going to choose Ubuntu and then pay the $275
they quote for 12m support.
However they probably know several people with windows they can get help
from.
Looks like a good way to put newbies off linux to me.

Kier

Sep 7, 2007, 2:39:11 PM9/7/07

Or to turn them towards the very active and newbie friendly Ubuntu
community, which will support them for nothing, provided they're willing
to have a try at learning a few new skills.

--
Kier

DanS

Sep 7, 2007, 3:22:24 PM9/7/07

> "norm" <no...@afakeddomain.net> wrote in message
>> Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
>>> If Dell sells an open sores, low demand, operating system such as
>>> Linux, then they would be required to offer customer technical
>>> support for it. Image the huge expense of training and maintaining
>>> support personnel for Linux, especially with the wide variety of
>>> Linux versions available and steep customer learning curve.
>>>
>>> Dell is in the business of trying to make a profit. If their
>>> business model
>>> shows supporting Linux is a money loser, good business sense would
>>> naturally dictate dropping Linux as a low-demand, unprofitable
>>> product.
>>
>> And selling machines with windows is any different in terms of having
>> to provide customer technical support personnel for the os?
>
> Except that everyone already knows how to use and support Windows so
> its easier.

Not according to some here, who claim that Vista is different from
earlier versions of Windows and 'you have to learn how to use Vista
properly'.

DanS

Sep 7, 2007, 3:23:58 PM9/7/07
Kier <val...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in

> On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 12:55:56 -0400, Cpl Kronk wrote:
>
>> BTW - Congrats on getting your clock working correctly. Did you need
>> to rebuild your kernel or was simply editing some .rc files and
>> running modprobe enough to get it working properly?
>

> Of course not - why on Earth would I need to do somethig as
> complicated as that? You really *are* ignorant about Linux, aren't
> you?

Because most ARE that ignorant of Linux, if they even know what it is.

chrisv

Sep 7, 2007, 3:26:25 PM9/7/07
Top-posting idiot Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:

>Price an identical basic Dell desktop system w/17" LCD monitor with
>Windows Vista and then Ubuntu, you'll see the Ubuntu system is actually
>$10 more ($549-U vs. $539-V). Dell fully supports Vista at no charge
>while it does not support Dell PCs w/Ubuntu installed.

Yeah, we know that Micro$oft "incentives", combined with fees paid to
OEM's to pre-load a bunch of unwanted crapware, can negate Linux' cost
advantage.

>Again, Windows Vista is the clear winner!

If you're a loser.

To anyone with a brain, Visduh is about the worst OS ever foisted upon
the market. If it weren't for Micro$oft's monopoly power, which
allows them to force it upon the OEM's, only a small number of the
curious and the foolish would be using it.

>--
>Carey Frisch
>Microsoft MVP
>Windows Shell/User

Too stupid to do a delimiter correctly, eh top-poster?

DanS

Sep 7, 2007, 3:27:22 PM9/7/07
"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfr...@nospamgmail.com> wrote in

> Price an identical basic Dell desktop system w/17" LCD monitor with
> Windows Vista and then Ubuntu, you'll see the Ubuntu system is actually
> $10 more ($549-U vs. $539-V). Dell fully supports Vista at no charge
> while it does not support Dell PCs w/Ubuntu installed.
>
> Again, Windows Vista is the clear winner!

Sorry Carey......Dell is the real winner here. They refuse to support you
and get an extra $10 on the sale, and, don't pay for the OEM Windows
license. That sounds like a good business move to me.

It would be a great advantage to Dell to sell MUCH more Ubuntu.

dennis@home

Sep 7, 2007, 3:48:02 PM9/7/07

"Kier" <val...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

And they already have a windows PC to access the community until they can
use Ubuntu to ask the questions.

The Ghost In The Machine

Sep 7, 2007, 3:58:57 PM9/7/07
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Carey Frisch [MVP]
<cnfr...@nospamgmail.com>
wrote
on Fri, 7 Sep 2007 13:20:36 -0500
<elSvJvX...@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>:

> Price an identical basic Dell desktop system w/17" LCD monitor with
> Windows Vista and then Ubuntu, you'll see the Ubuntu system is actually
> $10 more ($549-U vs. $539-V). Dell fully supports Vista at no charge
> while it does not support Dell PCs w/Ubuntu installed.
>
> Again, Windows Vista is the clear winner!

Well, lessee.

Inspiron 530N. Basic desktop, starts at $549. E2140 processor,
Ubuntu 7.04 w/no support, 17" ViewSonic VA1703wb LCD,
512 MB SDDR2 667MHz RAM, 1 160 GB SATA@7200 RPM, 48x optical CD-RW/DVD,
128 MB NVIDIA GeForce 8300GS, integrated crap audio, standard
keyboard/mouse, no floppy drive, no optional 1394a.

$549.

Inspiron 530s. Basic desktop, starts at $599. E4300 process (oops,
delta), uninstalled FreeDOS, 19 inch monitor (oops, delta, +$20),
1 GB Dual DDR2 667 MHz RAM (oops, delta), 250 GB SATA @7200 (oops, delta)
... never mind; clearly this is more desktop, and I can't make
them match without more work.

Inspiron 530 w/Windows. Basic desktop, starts at $369.
Celeron 420; upgrade to E2140 +$110.
Genuine Home Basic. No monitor; add 17" VA1703wb +$170.
1GB DDR2 667 MHz SDRAM (oops, delta).
... never mind; clearly this is now more desktop.

Dell's playing games here again.

There is another interesting quirk. There is an Inspiron
530 open source desktop; however, I can't get a compatible
microprocessor between Dell's offerings.

530N (ubuntu): E2140, E216, E4300.
530 (freedos): E4300, E6320, E6420.
530s (freedos): E4300, E6320, E6420.
530 (Windows): Celeron 420, E2140, E2160, E440, E4500, E6550.
530 w/mon (Windows): E4400, E4500, E6550.

Apples and oranges and bananas and celery sticks.
As usual, caveat emptor.

Indeed.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

might help in curing some of it, though. ;-)

#191, ewi...@earthlink.net
Linux. Because life's too short for a buggy OS.

Message has been deleted

Adam Albright

Sep 7, 2007, 4:10:01 PM9/7/07

Linux sounds like a cheap Chinese knock off of Lego building blocks
with lead paint.

Bill Yanaire

Sep 7, 2007, 4:12:28 PM9/7/07

"Adam Albright" <A...@ABC.net> wrote in message

I better go check the kids room. Wouldn't want them playing with Linux!

Respondant

Sep 7, 2007, 4:27:15 PM9/7/07
Bill Yanaire wrote:

It's not THAT big a deal,. There's nothing worthwhile for them to play with
anyway. :-) Just make sure ya keep 'em out of your Windows partition. You
DO know how to dual-boot, right? Oh wait. What am I saying? Pretty much
every Linux user started with Windows and (despite never admitting to it)
STILL has SOME version of Windows laying around on a partition somewhere.
You know. Just so "the kids" can "play" with it.

:-)

Bill

Bill Yanaire

Sep 7, 2007, 4:32:23 PM9/7/07
I remember going through my divorce. She was the Petitioner and I was the
Respondant. Thanks for the memory. We were married 18 years, a few of them
good!

"Respondant" <Respo...@noemail.invalid> wrote in message

chrisv

Sep 7, 2007, 4:42:31 PM9/7/07
Adam Albright wrote:

>Linux sounds like a cheap Chinese knock off of Lego building blocks
>with lead paint.

Is flaunting your ignorance something you enjoy doing?

Bill Yanaire

Sep 7, 2007, 4:45:40 PM9/7/07

"chrisv" <chr...@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

What ignorance? He said it sounds like something. There is no ignorance
there!

Michael Solomon

Sep 7, 2007, 5:26:46 PM9/7/07

"Adam Albright" <A...@ABC.net> wrote in message

Hmm, and I thought it was some sort of "lint free Kleenex," excuse
me..Tissue!

--
Michael Solomon
Backup is a PC user's best friend

The Ghost In The Machine

Sep 7, 2007, 5:29:27 PM9/7/07
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Bill Yanaire
<bi...@yanaire.com>
wrote
on Fri, 7 Sep 2007 13:45:40 -0700
<#3Y5AAZ8...@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>:

No, just guilt by association. The Mattel recall of
Chinese toys for, among other things, lead paint,
has been much in the news lately.

However, I doubt anything from the LEGO Group was
among them (especially since they're based in Denmark).
One would be surprised how much work goes into fabricating
LEGO bricks, and the subsequent work of getting them into
the right boxes; the process is highly automated.

#191, ewi...@earthlink.net
Q: "Why is my computer doing that?"
A: "Don't do that and you'll be fine."

Peter Kai Jensen

Sep 7, 2007, 7:00:53 PM9/7/07
--
PeKaJe

violent psychopath who knows where you live. -- Martin Golding

Spanketh ThyMonkey

Sep 7, 2007, 7:07:35 PM9/7/07

"Cpl Kronk" <kro...@nospam.net> wrote in message
An Ubuntu is like when you need to go to the bathroom, you push and push,
but nothing comes out! Just FYI.

Jeremy Fisher

Sep 7, 2007, 7:08:24 PM9/7/07
Bill Yanaire wrote:

> I better go check the kids room. Wouldn't want them playing with Linux!

But you would be happy for them to use a OS sold by corporate crooks, and
under the terms of the EULA they, not you own the toys your kids are
playing with. I find it odd you want to deny your children the freedom to
innervate how they use the toys they play with. Image buying a lego set
that comes pre built, that you don't own, and can't add to it without
permission from Lego, that they can come into your home and stop your kids
enjoying this wonderfull pre built Lego toy, that they cannot take apart or
alter in any way as the Lego corporation could put Daddy away in prison for
doing anything other than what Lego allow you to do, and as long as you pay
for the additional licences if more than 1 child or adults wants to play
with the toy. The good bit is when it breaks you have to go out and buy a
new one and wow what a wonderfull bloated and costly bit of kit, that you
still have no rights to do anything other than what a bunch of corporate
crooks decide allow you to do.

Jem..

chrisv

Sep 8, 2007, 11:04:57 AM9/8/07
"chrisv" <chr...@nospam.invalid> schreef in bericht

Ignore the forging nym-shifting troll who pretends to be chrisv!

he...@home.again

Sep 8, 2007, 12:08:11 PM9/8/07
"chrisv" <chr...@nospam.invalid> said

> "chrisv" <chr...@nospam.invalid> schreef in bericht
<snipped>

> Ignore the forging nym-shifting troll who pretends to be chrisv!

Imposters are a dime a dozen. If you find yourself being mimicked, then you
might eventually find out the monkeys caused you to be killfiled. I just
kept changing my screenname at first, but I finally gave up. Be anonymous
and try to keep a low profile, limit the number of newsgroups you use with
each "fake id" (I use 5) and move on to bigger and better things. Above all,
remember that imitation is the highest form of flattery! You have a fan
club! <VBG>

Linonut

Sep 8, 2007, 3:03:35 PM9/8/07
After takin' a swig o' grog, Carey Frisch [MVP] belched out this bit o' wisdom:

> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

ROTFLMAO

http://microscum.com/carey/

http://www.leinss.com/blog/?m=200606

On every message board you will find MS-MVP Carey Frisch quoting
links to WGA articles. Here is a message from Carey Frisch: it's
the professionalism I enjoy.

Don't be surprised that one day, upon downloading an update from
the Windows Update site, that upon reboot, you cannot access your
XP O/S because it was an unauthorized, pirated version. And
you'll have no legal leg to stand on. This has already happened
with those running a pirated version of Office 2000. Download and
install SP1 for Office 2000 and one can no longer open the
program. And Microsoft has every right to do this.

chrisv

Sep 8, 2007, 3:04:49 PM9/8/07
<he...@home.again> schreef in bericht
OK, your a troll!
*plonk*
http://groups.google.com/groups/search?hl=en&q=author%3Achrisv+plonk&qt_s=Search

Peter Köhlmann

Sep 8, 2007, 3:09:37 PM9/8/07
he...@home.again wrote:

Well, you are naturally right that imposters are about the lowest scum
possible on usenet.
What you have not realized yet is that you talked to the imposter.
Free clue: Whenever you see "dizum" in the header, it is a Kadaitcha Toddler
felcher.
--
The Day Microsoft makes something that does not suck is probably
the day they start making vacuum cleaners.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Sep 8, 2007, 5:16:12 PM9/8/07
No, I never made any such statements. I see you have
quoted the statement(s) from untrustworthy, bogus web sites.
Nothing you referenced and posted is factual!

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Linonut" wrote:

After takin' a swig o' grog, Carey Frisch [MVP] belched out this bit o'
wisdom:

> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

ROTFLMAO

http://microscum.com/notcarey/

Peter Köhlmann

Sep 8, 2007, 5:28:36 PM9/8/07
Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:

> No, I never made any such statements. I see you have
> quoted the statement(s) from untrustworthy, bogus web sites.
> Nothing you referenced and posted is factual!

Certainly not. After all, you are a MVP

In other words, you know nothing at all about computers
--
Support your local Search and Rescue unit -- get lost.