Is linux destined for failure?

jma...@hotmail.com

Mar 5, 2002, 7:59:42 PM3/5/02
It seems like linux and co are droppying like flies

"Sallee seeks volunteers to maintain different sections
of the grimoire. The duties include reviewing, testing,
and creating spells. Unless enough volunteers step up
to take over that part of the care and feeding of
Sorcerer, a cool distribution might go the way of the
dodo bird much too soon."

Creating spells? Ok.

http://www.linuxworld.com/site-stories/2002/0304.sorcerer.html

rapskat

Mar 5, 2002, 8:08:59 PM3/5/02
Error Log for Tue, 05 Mar 2002 19:59:42 -0500: segfault in module
"jmantel" - dump details are as follows...

I'm sorry, but I have to killfile you not because you are a annoying troll
(which you are), but because you are cluttering up my reader with all of
these inane posts.

I'll consider removing you when you grow up and learn how to properly
thread. Until then, bye-bye!

<PLONK!>

--
rapskat - 8:05pm up 6 days, 19:20, 3 users, load average: 0.39, 0.18, 0.06

A ruler must learn to be other than good. -- Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince.

fleshrend

Mar 6, 2002, 2:22:28 PM3/6/02
On Wed, 06 Mar 2002 12:11:55 +1100, flatfish+++ wrote:

> Looks like the worlds slowest install program to me...................
>
> My favorite part.................
> At this point, I had a bootable system with Internet access. Now the fun
> could really begin. Where to start was the only question. I decided it
> would be more comforting to have a GUI, so I typed cast xfree86 and
> waited. Finally, 90 minutes later, it appeared to finish. That's when I
> started seeing the "out of memory errors." I had not RTFM carefully
> enough and didn't have the requisite gigabyte of combined RAM/swap
> memory.
>

> The second install went a little quicker. Then another 90 minutes for X,
> and another 15 minutes to get a working configuration file. At last, my
> laptop actually ran X.
>

> I thought it took a long time to reach that point, but then I hadn't
> tried to cast gnome yet. When I did, I wondered if it would ever end.
> After 3 hours, it was still resolving dependencies and I was sure that I
> was trapped in a loop. I left Sorcerer and the Sony to their own devices
> overnight, and the gnome spell finally finished early the next morning.
> I quickly added x-chat, galeon, the GIMP, snort, PostgreSQL, falsonseye,
> and a few other mission-critical items.

> This guy should have been a Saint because he has the patience of one for
> sure...

Poor Flatfish, how can we help?

Donn Miller

Mar 6, 2002, 2:30:14 PM3/6/02
flatf...@mariana.trench wrote:

> I thought it took a long time to reach that point, but then I hadn't tried to
> cast gnome yet. When I did, I wondered if it would ever end. After 3 hours, it
> was still resolving dependencies and I was sure that I was trapped in a loop. I
> left Sorcerer and the Sony to their own devices overnight, and the gnome spell
> finally finished early the next morning. I quickly added x-chat, galeon, the
> GIMP, snort, PostgreSQL, falsonseye, and a few other mission-critical items.

Take heart, for there is always your copy of XP Pro your buddy pirated
for you. License leech.

jma...@hotmail.com

Mar 6, 2002, 2:41:41 PM3/6/02
Donn Miller wrote:

> flatf...@mariana.trench wrote:
>

> > I thought it took a long time to reach that point, but then I hadn't tried to
> > cast gnome yet. When I did, I wondered if it would ever end. After 3 hours, it
> > was still resolving dependencies and I was sure that I was trapped in a loop. I
> > left Sorcerer and the Sony to their own devices overnight, and the gnome spell
> > finally finished early the next morning. I quickly added x-chat, galeon, the
> > GIMP, snort, PostgreSQL, falsonseye, and a few other mission-critical items.
>
> Take heart, for there is always your copy of XP Pro your buddy pirated
> for you. License leech.

Didn't I just see a post where you admited to pirating a copy of XP?
What a hypocrite loooooooser.

Paul Cooke

Mar 6, 2002, 2:59:11 PM3/6/02
On Wed, 06 Mar 2002 19:41:41 +0000, jmantel wrote:

<Big Snip>

you do realise that the real jmantel is going to be mightily pissed at
these postings from you...

The real jmantel has no problems at all using Linux.

Paul Cooke

jma...@hotmail.com

Mar 6, 2002, 3:13:54 PM3/6/02

Um, do you realise that two people in the world could have the same name?
Whether he's pissed or not doesn't bother me a bit. It's a screen name,
and my real name, deal with it.

Paul Cooke

Mar 6, 2002, 3:19:57 PM3/6/02

I have dealt with it...

KillDarren

Mar 6, 2002, 3:48:27 PM3/6/02
On Wed, 06 Mar 2002 14:59:22 -0500, flatfish+++ wrote:

> On Wed, 06 Mar 2002 14:30:14 -0500, Donn Miller <dmmi...@cvzoom.net>
> wrote:
>
>>flatf...@mariana.trench wrote:
>>

>>> I thought it took a long time to reach that point, but then I hadn't
>>> tried to cast gnome yet. When I did, I wondered if it would ever end.
>>> After 3 hours, it was still resolving dependencies and I was sure that
>>> I was trapped in a loop. I left Sorcerer and the Sony to their own
>>> devices overnight, and the gnome spell finally finished early the next
>>> morning. I quickly added x-chat, galeon, the GIMP, snort, PostgreSQL,
>>> falsonseye, and a few other mission-critical items.
>>
>>Take heart, for there is always your copy of XP Pro your buddy pirated
>>for you. License leech.
>

> You're the one who pirated XP Don, not me.

By using a corporate license of a corporation you are not employed by,
you did indeed pirate MS-Windows XP.

Tom Cummins

Mar 6, 2002, 3:40:32 PM3/6/02

You really ARE flatfish!

KillDarren

Mar 6, 2002, 3:59:37 PM3/6/02

Does that mean that R. M. Burg and Rufus are also your real name too?

Jerry Nash

Mar 6, 2002, 3:51:55 PM3/6/02
On Wed, 06 Mar 2002 19:59:22 GMT, flatf...@mariana.trench <flatf...@mariana.trench> wrote:
>On Wed, 06 Mar 2002 14:30:14 -0500, Donn Miller <dmmi...@cvzoom.net> wrote:
>
>>flatf...@mariana.trench wrote:
>>

>>> I thought it took a long time to reach that point, but then I hadn't tried to
>>> cast gnome yet. When I did, I wondered if it would ever end. After 3 hours, it
>>> was still resolving dependencies and I was sure that I was trapped in a loop. I
>>> left Sorcerer and the Sony to their own devices overnight, and the gnome spell
>>> finally finished early the next morning. I quickly added x-chat, galeon, the
>>> GIMP, snort, PostgreSQL, falsonseye, and a few other mission-critical items.
>>
>>Take heart, for there is always your copy of XP Pro your buddy pirated
>>for you. License leech.
>

>You're the one who pirated XP Don, not me.

But you also admitted to trafficing in pirated software too, flatfish.
Remember how you were explaining all about how you supposedly owned
some software, but you ran pirated versions on your system so you
didn't have to deal with the copy protection/authentication hassles.

Also, remember how your friend gave you a XP corporate version and
your license is not being paid for.

Peter Köhlmann

Mar 6, 2002, 4:20:32 PM3/6/02
Tom Cummins wrote:

And if he weren't, he would rival FlatMind in shallowness.
Max 2 braincells, not even remotely connected

Peter
--
Windows, for those too scared to use their brain

.

Mar 6, 2002, 4:57:58 PM3/6/02

"screen name".

Bahah.

-----.

--
Theres a hole in the world like a great black pit and
its filled with people who are filled with shit and the

KillDarren

Mar 6, 2002, 5:08:50 PM3/6/02
On Wed, 06 Mar 2002 16:13:10 -0500, flatfish+++ wrote:

> Huh?
>
> Donn Miller posted several messages where he admitted to pirating XP.
>
> My copy is 100 percent legit.

Only if that client of yours who gave you XP corporate is actually your
employer (meaning you have a W-4 on file with them) and the machine you
installed it on is company property .. otherwise you *are* a pirate.

jaca...@hotmail.com

Mar 6, 2002, 5:11:02 PM3/6/02

Oh please, give me a break you wacko.

Peter Köhlmann

Mar 6, 2002, 5:15:43 PM3/6/02
jaca...@hotmail.com wrote:

Hy FlatMind, still feasting on your favourite treat (sewer thingies)

Peter
--
Outlook Express, who do you want to infect today?

Jason Bowen

Mar 6, 2002, 5:29:46 PM3/6/02
In article <37490285.02030...@posting.google.com>,

The true wacko is the one that has nothing better to do than post stuff
like this.

rapskat

Mar 6, 2002, 6:50:54 PM3/6/02
Error Log for Wed, 06 Mar 2002 17:11:02 -0500: segfault in module
"jacardel" - dump details are as follows...

Spamming is illegal.

--
rapskat - 6:50pm up 7 days, 18:05, 3 users, load average: 0.11, 0.08, 0.07

You Know You Need To Upgrade When...
You're still deciding whether to install that additional 64 Kb of memory so you can run Lotus 1-2-3 v. 1.0

Linonut

Mar 6, 2002, 8:26:01 PM3/6/02
After takin' a swig o' grog, KillDarren belched out this bit o' wisdom:

> Poor flatfish, how can we help?

Maybe we're enabling flatfish's behavior.

Donn Miller

Mar 7, 2002, 12:33:29 AM3/7/02
flatf...@mariana.trench wrote:

> You're the one who pirated XP Don, not me.

Yes, which I openly admitted to. I delete it from my computer
altogether, and replaced it with Win ME (which I hate but have a valid
license for), and FreeBSD. Check for yourself:

$ df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on
/dev/ad0s3a 128M 50M 68M 42% /
/dev/ad0s3e 13G 1.8G 9.8G 16% /usr
/dev/ad0s2 5.4G 2.2G 3.2G 40% /dos
procfs 4.0K 4.0K 0B 100% /proc
/dev/acd0c 548M 548M 0B 100% /cdrom

$ head /dos/WINDOWS/GENERAL.TXT
Microsoft Windows Millennium
README for General Information
June 2000

(c) Copyright Microsoft Corporation, 1999

This document provides complementary or late-breaking
information to supplement the Microsoft Windows Millennium

See? It's off my computer. Fee free to inspect my computer anytime.
The reason I took it off was that I don't trust you.

Donn Miller

Mar 7, 2002, 12:59:07 AM3/7/02
jma...@hotmail.com wrote:

> Didn't I just see a post where you admited to pirating a copy of XP? What
> a hypocrite loooooooser.

Yes, and then after I admitted to the piracy, I wiped Windoze XP off of
my HD, and re-installed ME, which I have a valid license for. You sure
are obsessed with blaming everyone else for piracy except yourself. Is
YOUR XP license valid, flatfish?

Donn Miller

Mar 7, 2002, 1:01:23 AM3/7/02
flatf...@mariana.trench wrote:

> Huh?
>
> Donn Miller posted several messages where he admitted to pirating XP.
>
> My copy is 100 percent legit.

Yes, and then I WIPED IT OFF OF MY HD. Dumbass. I already admitted my
guilt. It's been dealt with. See for yourself:

$ df -h; head /dos/WINDOWS/GENERAL.TXT

Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on
/dev/ad0s3a 128M 50M 68M 42% /

/dev/ad0s3e 13G 1.9G 9.8G 16% /usr

/dev/ad0s2 5.4G 2.2G 3.2G 40% /dos
procfs 4.0K 4.0K 0B 100% /proc
/dev/acd0c 548M 548M 0B 100% /cdrom

Microsoft Windows Millennium
README for General Information
June 2000

Donn Miller

Mar 7, 2002, 1:03:19 AM3/7/02
KillDarren wrote:
> Poor flatfish, how can we help?

So, how do I disable this flatfish thingie? I don't think sysctl will work.

Donn Miller

Mar 7, 2002, 1:04:41 AM3/7/02
Donn Miller wrote:
> jma...@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> > Didn't I just see a post where you admited to pirating a copy of XP?
> What
> > a hypocrite loooooooser.
>
> Yes, and then after I admitted to the piracy, I wiped Windoze XP off of
> my HD, and re-installed ME, which I have a valid license for. You sure
> are obsessed with blaming everyone else for piracy except yourself. Is
> YOUR XP license valid, flatfish?

Oh yes, and now for the proof:

$ df -h; head /dos/WINDOWS/GENERAL.TXT
Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on
/dev/ad0s3a 128M 50M 68M 42% /
/dev/ad0s3e 13G 1.9G 9.8G 16% /usr
/dev/ad0s2 5.4G 2.2G 3.2G 40% /dos
procfs 4.0K 4.0K 0B 100% /proc
/dev/acd0c 548M 548M 0B 100% /cdrom
Microsoft Windows Millennium
README for General Information
June 2000

(c) Copyright Microsoft Corporation, 1999

This document provides complementary or late-breaking
information to supplement the Microsoft Windows Millennium

Maybe you'd like to see a dump of my entire HD for proof? I could email
it to yez if yez likes...

Terry Porter

Mar 7, 2002, 1:25:14 AM3/7/02
Donn Miller is inventive and wrote the following
in smoke upside down, and at 500 feet with an old crop duster:

>jma...@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> > Didn't I just see a post where you admited to pirating a copy of XP? What
> > a hypocrite loooooooser.
>
>Yes, and then after I admitted to the piracy, I wiped Windoze XP off of
>my HD, and re-installed ME, which I have a valid license for. You sure
>are obsessed with blaming everyone else for piracy except yourself. Is
>YOUR XP license valid, flatfish?

Pirating Windows, then destroying the software after reviewing it
is not a crime of any note. Pirating software, using it as your main
OS and giving copies to your friends is something else all together.

Microsoft arent interested in Donn, but they'd love to visit flathead.

--
Kind Regards from Terry
My Desktop is powered by GNU/LinuX. Debian 2.2 kernel 2.2.20

Terry Porter

Mar 7, 2002, 1:26:35 AM3/7/02
Donn Miller is inventive and wrote the following
in smoke upside down, and at 500 feet with an old crop duster:

>flatf...@mariana.trench wrote:

>See? It's off my computer. Fee free to inspect my computer anytime.

Sadly flathead can't make the same offer to Microsoft!

>The reason I took it off was that I don't trust you.

Who needs Microsoft anyway Donn ?

Johan Lindquist

Mar 7, 2002, 2:00:10 AM3/7/02
Thu, 07 Mar 2002 at 00:50 GMT, peering quizzically at his shoes,
rapskat <rap...@gdlteknet.com> suddenly blurted:

> Error Log for Wed, 06 Mar 2002 17:11:02 -0500: segfault in module
> "jacardel" - dump details are as follows...
>> Oh please, give me a break you wacko.
>
> Spamming is illegal.

So should spawning be in the case of flatfish.

cheers,

/Johan

--
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. Perth ---> *
7:59am up 4 days, 20:49, 3 users, load average: 1.04, 1.12, 1.14

Donn Miller

Mar 7, 2002, 2:04:07 AM3/7/02
Terry Porter wrote:

> Who needs Microsoft anyway Donn ?

Amen to that! MS has been holding back the computing world for so long
now. Come to think of it, which standard have they invented that is in
widespread use today? The most popular scripting language on web sites
is JavaScript, which was invented by Netscape corp. They really are
shut out in all standards, except for Windows itself being so widespread
on the desktop. MS could've been a more respectable company, but they
shoot themselves in the foot time and time again, and still do it to
this very day.

Donn Miller

Mar 7, 2002, 2:09:13 AM3/7/02
Terry Porter wrote:

> Pirating Windows, then destroying the software after reviewing it
> is not a crime of any note. Pirating software, using it as your main
> OS and giving copies to your friends is something else all together.
>
> Microsoft arent interested in Donn, but they'd love to visit flathead.

LOL! I'd like to see a videotape of what transpires during that
visitation! You'd probably see flatty screaming "NO!! NO!!!!!", while
holding onto his pirated copy of XP Pro Corporate. They'd probably have
to spray him with mace, and whack him on the head a couple of times with
a police-club to subdue him.

Donn Miller

Mar 7, 2002, 2:16:41 AM3/7/02
"." wrote:

> "screen name".
>
> Bahah.

I'll bet he visits a lot of "chat rooms" as well.

Terry Porter

Mar 7, 2002, 4:56:27 AM3/7/02
Donn Miller is inventive and wrote the following
in smoke upside down, and at 500 feet with an old crop duster:

>Terry Porter wrote:

>> Pirating Windows, then destroying the software after reviewing it
>> is not a crime of any note. Pirating software, using it as your main
>> OS and giving copies to your friends is something else all together.
>>
>> Microsoft arent interested in Donn, but they'd love to visit flathead.
>
>LOL! I'd like to see a videotape of what transpires during that
>visitation! You'd probably see flatty screaming "NO!! NO!!!!!", while
>holding onto his pirated copy of XP Pro Corporate. They'd probably have
>to spray him with mace, and whack him on the head a couple of times with
>a police-club to subdue him.

Yeah, his ranting when they took it away would equal his rantings aboot
how XP would "never enter his house".

jaca...@hotmail.com

Mar 7, 2002, 10:25:40 AM3/7/02
Terry Porter wrote:

> Donn Miller is inventive and wrote the following
> in smoke upside down, and at 500 feet with an old crop duster:
>
> >jma...@hotmail.com wrote:
> >
> > > Didn't I just see a post where you admited to pirating a copy of XP? What
> > > a hypocrite loooooooser.
> >
> >Yes, and then after I admitted to the piracy, I wiped Windoze XP off of
> >my HD, and re-installed ME, which I have a valid license for. You sure
> >are obsessed with blaming everyone else for piracy except yourself. Is
> >YOUR XP license valid, flatfish?

> Pirating Windows, then destroying the software after reviewing it
> is not a crime of any note.

Sorry. Pirating software is illegal period. I like the flip flop you do
for one of your own. You're a true hypocrite and have zero credability.

> Pirating software, using it as your main
> OS and giving copies to your friends is something else all together.
>
> Microsoft arent interested in Donn, but they'd love to visit flathead.

.

Mar 7, 2002, 11:33:09 AM3/7/02

> Spamming is illegal.

No, it isnt.

Yet.

.

Mar 7, 2002, 11:35:50 AM3/7/02
Donn Miller <dmmi...@cvzoom.net> wrote:
> Terry Porter wrote:

>> Pirating Windows, then destroying the software after reviewing it
>> is not a crime of any note. Pirating software, using it as your main
>> OS and giving copies to your friends is something else all together.
>>
>> Microsoft arent interested in Donn, but they'd love to visit flathead.

> LOL! I'd like to see a videotape of what transpires during that
> visitation! You'd probably see flatty screaming "NO!! NO!!!!!", while
> holding onto his pirated copy of XP Pro Corporate. They'd probably have
> to spray him with mace, and whack him on the head a couple of times with
> a police-club to subdue him.

It would never happen, and terry is an idiot yet again for first implying,
then coming right out and saying that microsoft would be interested in
gary's pirating behavior.

Turn your brain on and think about how much it would cost to nail gary for
one XP license. Microsoft does not go after individuals; its far too expensive.
They go after companies. Having been involved in the recieving end of one
of their offensives, I know this for a fact.

.

Mar 7, 2002, 11:36:43 AM3/7/02
Donn Miller <dmmi...@cvzoom.net> wrote:
> flatf...@mariana.trench wrote:

>> Huh?
>>
>> Donn Miller posted several messages where he admitted to pirating XP.
>>
>> My copy is 100 percent legit.

> Yes, and then I WIPED IT OFF OF MY HD. Dumbass. I already admitted my
> guilt. It's been dealt with. See for yourself:

You still got the CD?

KillDarren

Mar 7, 2002, 11:51:38 AM3/7/02
On Thu, 07 Mar 2002 11:35:50 -0500, . wrote:

> Donn Miller <dmmi...@cvzoom.net> wrote:
>> Terry Porter wrote:

>>> Pirating Windows, then destroying the software after reviewing it is
>>> not a crime of any note. Pirating software, using it as your main OS
>>> and giving copies to your friends is something else all together.
>>>
>>> Microsoft arent interested in Donn, but they'd love to visit flathead.
>
>> LOL! I'd like to see a videotape of what transpires during that
>> visitation! You'd probably see flatty screaming "NO!! NO!!!!!", while
>> holding onto his pirated copy of XP Pro Corporate. They'd probably
>> have to spray him with mace, and whack him on the head a couple of
>> times with a police-club to subdue him.
>
> It would never happen, and terry is an idiot yet again for first
> implying, then coming right out and saying that microsoft would be
> interested in gary's pirating behavior.
>
> Turn your brain on and think about how much it would cost to nail gary
> for one XP license. Microsoft does not go after individuals; its far
> too expensive. They go after companies. Having been involved in the
> recieving end of one of their offensives, I know this for a fact.

So hopefully the BSA and Microsoft will be going after the company that
let Gary pirate MS-WindowsXP from them.

Linonut

Mar 7, 2002, 11:54:34 AM3/7/02
After takin' a swig o' grog, jaca...@hotmail.com belched out this bit o' wisdom:

>> Pirating Windows, then destroying the software after reviewing it
>> is not a crime of any note.
>
> Sorry. Pirating software is illegal period. I like the flip flop you do
> for one of your own. You're a true hypocrite and have zero credability.

Piracy of software means making a large number of copies of the
software and selling it. Making a copy and playing with it
is not piracy, although Microsoft and the BSA are willing to so consider
it if the take is large enough.

Chris

--
Living large and loving Linux!

Peter Köhlmann

Mar 7, 2002, 11:58:31 AM3/7/02
. wrote:

It is. In europe. At least in germany, but as far as I know in most
eurepean countries as well

wjbell

Mar 7, 2002, 1:10:09 PM3/7/02
Terry Porter wrote:

> Pirating Windows, then destroying the software after reviewing it
> is not a crime of any note.

Now THAT'S a classic! If someone you people considered a "wintroll" had
said that you would have jumped all over them siting EULA's and all
kinds of shit. That's why you guys can't be taken seriously, you're
hypocrites.

I'm going to have to add this one to my sig.......

jaca...@hotmail.com

Mar 7, 2002, 1:26:50 PM3/7/02
Linonut wrote:

> After takin' a swig o' grog, jaca...@hotmail.com belched out this bit o' wisdom:
>
> >> Pirating Windows, then destroying the software after reviewing it
> >> is not a crime of any note.
> >
> > Sorry. Pirating software is illegal period. I like the flip flop you do
> > for one of your own. You're a true hypocrite and have zero credability.
>
> Piracy of software means making a large number of copies of the
> software and selling it. Making a copy and playing with it
> is not piracy, although Microsoft and the BSA are willing to so consider
> it if the take is large enough.

No. The number of copies you make has nothing to do with it. Piracy
means copying the software against the terms of the EULA, period.
That means burning a copy, installing a leagal copy on more than one
computer, borrowing someones CD key, etc, etc. Unless you
have the original CD and the key that came with it, that's pirating.

It's also worth noting that I've seen linadvocates in the same group
argue this very same thing I'm arguing, and everyone jumping in to agree.

But when it suits your argument you switch positions. Liars and hypocrites.

Donn Miller

Mar 7, 2002, 1:38:32 PM3/7/02
. wrote:
> Donn Miller <dmmi...@cvzoom.net> wrote:
>
>>flatf...@mariana.trench wrote:
>>

>>>Huh?
>>>
>>>Donn Miller posted several messages where he admitted to pirating XP.
>>>
>>>My copy is 100 percent legit.
>>>

>>Yes, and then I WIPED IT OFF OF MY HD. Dumbass. I already admitted my
>>guilt. It's been dealt with. See for yourself:
>>

> You still got the CD?

Yes I do. I still have the copy burned onto a CD-RW. I haven't
over-written it yet, although I plan to in the future. But it's not on
my HD anymore. I've got good 'ol POS Win ME on there. And WHAT a POS,
let me tell you. Win ME is the POS that sets the standard for all
pieces of shit.

Donn Miller

Mar 7, 2002, 1:39:45 PM3/7/02
flatf...@mariana.trench wrote:

> Geee you're doing an awful lot of screaming for someone who is supposed to be
> innocent.
>
> Who are you trying to convince?

I dunno. If you wanna come over and inspect my laptop in person, be my
guest. I've got Win ME on there. Blech!!! Gross!!

Donn Miller

Mar 7, 2002, 1:45:33 PM3/7/02
flatf...@mariana.trench wrote:

> I'm not vindictive like most of the LinoNuts around here Donn and believe me I
> could care less if you went out on the corner of 42nd and Broadway and sold home
> made copies.

I don't trust you at all, dude. You've been calling me a pirate, and
some others in here hinted that I was a pirate, so I took it off my HD.
I can't trust anyone that keeps calling me a pirate. Besides, if I
really wanted a copy of XP, $99 for a legal copy is no big deal. I
could care less about Windows and Microsoft. Why, I couldn't even get
my scanner to work with XP.

Anyhow, I'm boycotting Microsoft products anyways. Of course, I'll
suffer a little. But my philosophy is that Linux and BSD are the great
equalizers of mankind -- they put us all on the same level. Beggars and
prices alike have access to this great software, whereas before, only
princes can afford a legit copy of XP Pro Corporate.

So, I am suffering a little. But all men must suffer in order to get
their Great Reward, no?

mjcr

Mar 7, 2002, 1:07:58 PM3/7/02
In article <3C86FBA9...@cvzoom.net>
on Thu, 07 Mar 2002 at 05:33 GMT,
Donn Miller <dmmi...@cvzoom.net> wrote:

> See? It's off my computer. Fee free to inspect my computer anytime.
> The reason I took it off was that I don't trust you.

Don't doubt that he will try to "inspect" your systems through the internet.
I would not be the first time that he has attempted that sort of thing.

--
I run Linux, no bloody RedHat, Debian, Slackware, or Corel, just Linux.
May all that you wish upon me and mine be visited upon you ten fold.

KillDarren

Mar 7, 2002, 2:03:33 PM3/7/02

He didn't say it wasn't breaking the law, Warren .. you really need to
improve that reading comprehension ..

Wanna talk about hypocrites? I found a really big one a little while back
.. Take a look:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&th=3c9ae36a4a3c1a73&rnum=2

KillDarren

Mar 7, 2002, 2:26:42 PM3/7/02
You've lied so many times, you have no credibility .. so just get a grip
on that .. you may as well stop posting to COLA because you will never be
able to get past all the lies and obfuscations you've already posted ..

Donn Miller

Mar 7, 2002, 2:51:16 PM3/7/02
flatf...@mariana.trench wrote:

> 3. MS is at some point going to remotely turn off all of the pirated copies of
> the devil's own version that was leaked to the net forcing the idiots stupid
> enough to use it, to buy legit copies.

So you're admitting that people who use XP are stupid? I agree!

Linonut

Mar 7, 2002, 3:33:49 PM3/7/02
After takin' a swig o' grog, jaca...@hotmail.com belched out this bit o' wisdom:

>> Piracy of software means making a large number of copies of the

>> software and selling it. Making a copy and playing with it
>> is not piracy, although Microsoft and the BSA are willing to so consider
>> it if the take is large enough.
>
> No. The number of copies you make has nothing to do with it. Piracy
> means copying the software against the terms of the EULA, period.
> That means burning a copy, installing a leagal copy on more than one
> computer, borrowing someones CD key, etc, etc. Unless you
> have the original CD and the key that came with it, that's pirating.
>
> It's also worth noting that I've seen linadvocates in the same group
> argue this very same thing I'm arguing, and everyone jumping in to agree.
>
> But when it suits your argument you switch positions. Liars and hypocrites.

The fact that I argue a different position from other linux nuts doesn't
mean that "we" switch positions. Anyway, you missed my point. Not
surprising, since it suits your purpose, spoofie.

Donn Miller

Mar 7, 2002, 3:45:07 PM3/7/02
flatf...@mariana.trench wrote:

> No.
>
> I am saying that people who are using that pirated copy, like you for example,
> are stupid.

You're obviously too stupid to read headers... Show me a post that I
made since my profession to remove XP that states that I was using "NT
5.X" in the headers. I dare you. Am I running XP now? Dumbfuck.
Since I made the confession, all post made with Communicator say "Win
95", not "Win NT 5.0" in the headers. Go on and find a post on google
that proves I used XP since I confessed to pirating it. Show us the proof.

Jason Bowen

Mar 7, 2002, 3:42:54 PM3/7/02
In article <2qif8ukilfqqric7h...@4ax.com>,
<flatf...@mariana.trench> wrote:

>On Thu, 07 Mar 2002 14:51:16 -0500, Donn Miller <dmmi...@cvzoom.net> wrote:
>
>>flatf...@mariana.trench wrote:
>>
>>> 3. MS is at some point going to remotely turn off all of the pirated copies of
>>> the devil's own version that was leaked to the net forcing the idiots stupid
>>> enough to use it, to buy legit copies.
>>
>>So you're admitting that people who use XP are stupid? I agree!
>
>No.
>
>I am saying that people who are using that pirated copy, like you for example,
>are stupid.

How about the people that have wrong licenses???

>--
>flatfish+++
>
>Bet your business on Linux? Here's what's running the show:
>http://www.abiword.org/~abi/expo99/expo_02_010_full.jpg
>Somebody show him the SHOWER PLEEEEEEESSSSSEEEE!
>http://www.adequacy.org/?op=displaystory;sid=2002/2/28/112557/148
>Even Redhat admits Linux is not made for desktop use.
>http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-828802.html

.

Mar 7, 2002, 4:33:10 PM3/7/02
flatf...@mariana.trench wrote:

> On 7 Mar 2002 16:35:50 GMT, yt...@mutilation.net (.) wrote:

>>It would never happen, and terry is an idiot yet again for first implying,
>>then coming right out and saying that microsoft would be interested in
>>gary's pirating behavior.

> 1. TP is an idiot.
> 2. My name is not Gary.

>>Turn your brain on and think about how much it would cost to nail gary for
>>one XP license. Microsoft does not go after individuals; its far too expensive.
>>They go after companies. Having been involved in the recieving end of one
>>of their offensives, I know this for a fact.

> 3. MS is at some point going to remotely turn off all of the pirated copies of

> the devil's own version that was leaked to the net forcing the idiots stupid
> enough to use it, to buy legit copies.

Cant be done. A large number of those copies is from a single master that was
released by a certian group (read the .nfo file) who cut the umbilical microsoft
cord.

They do not phone home and cannot be disabled.

.

Mar 7, 2002, 4:34:45 PM3/7/02
Donn Miller <dmmi...@cvzoom.net> wrote:
> . wrote:
>> Donn Miller <dmmi...@cvzoom.net> wrote:

>>>Yes, and then I WIPED IT OFF OF MY HD. Dumbass. I already admitted my
>>>guilt. It's been dealt with. See for yourself:
>>>

>> You still got the CD?

> Yes I do. I still have the copy burned onto a CD-RW. I haven't
> over-written it yet, although I plan to in the future. But it's not on
> my HD anymore. I've got good 'ol POS Win ME on there. And WHAT a POS,
> let me tell you. Win ME is the POS that sets the standard for all
> pieces of shit.

Dont get me wrong, I dont give a single ratshit about piracy of any kind.

It has always existed, it will always exist, and the incredibly high price
of software has nothing to do with it at all.

I was merely invoking an interesting example.

Mark Kent

Mar 7, 2002, 5:04:44 PM3/7/02
jma...@hotmail.com <jma...@hotmail.com> espoused:
>It seems like linux and co are droppying like flies
>
>"Sallee seeks volunteers to maintain different sections
>of the grimoire. The duties include reviewing, testing,
>and creating spells. Unless enough volunteers step up
>to take over that part of the care and feeding of
>Sorcerer, a cool distribution might go the way of the
>dodo bird much too soon."
>
>Creating spells? Ok.
>
>http://www.linuxworld.com/site-stories/2002/0304.sorcerer.html

<plonk>

--
Mark Kent
Take out the ham to mail me.

Terry Porter

Mar 7, 2002, 6:54:04 PM3/7/02
Donn Miller is inventive and wrote the following
in smoke upside down, and at 500 feet with an old crop duster:

>flatf...@mariana.trench wrote:

>> No.
>>
>> I am saying that people who are using that pirated copy, like you for example,
>> are stupid.
>
>You're obviously too stupid to read headers... Show me a post that I
>made since my profession to remove XP that states that I was using "NT
>5.X" in the headers. I dare you. Am I running XP now? Dumbfuck.
>Since I made the confession, all post made with Communicator say "Win
>95", not "Win NT 5.0" in the headers. Go on and find a post on google
>that proves I used XP since I confessed to pirating it. Show us the proof.

Flathead is the one in trouble, not you Donn.

Donn told us he d/l a cracked copy of XP, tried it then deleted it.

Flathead told us XP would never enter his house, then starts using XP, and
tries to give a illusion of legality by explaining that its a corporate
license, only the corporation license his copy belongs to, it isnt
the flathead corporation.

This is typical white collar crime and flathead has no defence your honour,
take the prisoner forn the dock.

Jim Richardson

Mar 7, 2002, 12:03:30 PM3/7/02
On Thu, 7 Mar 2002 20:56:27 +1100,
Terry Porter <tjpo...@gronk.porter.net> wrote:
> Donn Miller is inventive and wrote the following
> in smoke upside down, and at 500 feet with an old crop duster:
>
>>Terry Porter wrote:

>>> Pirating Windows, then destroying the software after reviewing it
>>> is not a crime of any note. Pirating software, using it as your main
>>> OS and giving copies to your friends is something else all together.
>>>
>>> Microsoft arent interested in Donn, but they'd love to visit flathead.
>>
>>LOL! I'd like to see a videotape of what transpires during that
>>visitation! You'd probably see flatty screaming "NO!! NO!!!!!", while
>>holding onto his pirated copy of XP Pro Corporate. They'd probably have
>>to spray him with mace, and whack him on the head a couple of times with
>>a police-club to subdue him.
>
> Yeah, his ranting when they took it away would equal his rantings aboot
> how XP would "never enter his house".

It didn't enter his house, he had to go out and steal it, then drag it
back...

--
Jim Richardson
Anarchist, pagan and proud of it

jaca...@hotmail.com

Mar 7, 2002, 9:05:53 PM3/7/02
Terry Porter wrote:

> Donn Miller is inventive and wrote the following
> in smoke upside down, and at 500 feet with an old crop duster:
>
> >flatf...@mariana.trench wrote:
> >
> >> No.
> >>
> >> I am saying that people who are using that pirated copy, like you for example,
> >> are stupid.
> >
> >You're obviously too stupid to read headers... Show me a post that I
> >made since my profession to remove XP that states that I was using "NT
> >5.X" in the headers. I dare you. Am I running XP now? Dumbfuck.
> >Since I made the confession, all post made with Communicator say "Win
> >95", not "Win NT 5.0" in the headers. Go on and find a post on google
> >that proves I used XP since I confessed to pirating it. Show us the proof.
> >

> Flathead is the one in trouble, not you Donn.
>
> Donn told us he d/l a cracked copy of XP, tried it then deleted it.
>
> Flathead told us XP would never enter his house, then starts using XP, and
> tries to give a illusion of legality by explaining that its a corporate
> license, only the corporation license his copy belongs to, it isnt
> the flathead corporation.
>
> This is typical white collar crime and flathead has no defence your honour,
> take the prisoner forn the dock.

Still preching one of your versions of what's right I see.

KillDarren

Mar 7, 2002, 9:21:38 PM3/7/02

Spoofy,

You would find that life would be so much better if you actually
demonstrated that you had the brains to post replies properly .. right
now, you're just showing that you're too much of an idiot to be taken
seriously by anyone.

jaca...@hotmail.com

Mar 7, 2002, 9:24:39 PM3/7/02
KillDarren wrote:

> Spoofy,
>
> You would find that life would be so much better if you actually
> demonstrated that you had the brains to post replies properly .. right
> now, you're just showing that you're too much of an idiot to be taken
> seriously by anyone.

Look who's talking.

Donn Miller

Mar 8, 2002, 1:54:26 AM3/8/02
Terry Porter wrote:

> Flathead is the one in trouble, not you Donn.
>
> Donn told us he d/l a cracked copy of XP, tried it then deleted it.
>
> Flathead told us XP would never enter his house, then starts using XP, and
> tries to give a illusion of legality by explaining that its a corporate
> license, only the corporation license his copy belongs to, it isnt
> the flathead corporation.

I think it's a thing called "projection", where one makes it look like
someone else has that particular person's faults. I see it all the
time. He's trying to shift the blame, that's all.

Message has been deleted

The Ghost In The Machine

Mar 8, 2002, 8:44:12 PM3/8/02
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Jason Bowen
<bow...@rintintin.colorado.edu>
wrote
on 7 Mar 2002 20:42:54 GMT
<a68jce$j3d$1...@peabody.colorado.edu>:

> In article <2qif8ukilfqqric7h...@4ax.com>,
> <flatf...@mariana.trench> wrote:
>>On Thu, 07 Mar 2002 14:51:16 -0500, Donn Miller
>><dmmi...@cvzoom.net> wrote:

>>>So you're admitting that people who use XP are stupid? I agree!
>>
>>No.
>>
>>I am saying that people who are using that pirated copy, like
>>you for example, are stupid.
>>

> How about the people that have wrong licenses???

Their computer will simply cease to function, and they'll have
to negotiate with Microsoft for a new version and/or license
key and/or whatever. Or they'll have to buy another version
of XP (extra outlay, yuck).

If they can prove to MS that they legitimately acquired XP
(copy of store receipt, XP certification #, photocopy of
the XP faceplace which has a hologram, etc.), then hopefully
Microsoft's Customer Certification Department [*] will ship them
a brand new XP for no charge. However, that's entirely up
to Microsoft, as it should be, barring fraud or misrepresentation.
Ditto on what may be required for proof -- after all, that XP
disk might in fact be stolen, and not by the person buying
it, either!

(This is obviously not a problem unique to Microsoft, although
Microsoft's monopoly on the desktop makes for interesting perturbations.)

I fail to see a problem here, although it depends on the extent
of the licensing "outage" and how Microsoft treats its
customers, real and potential. I also don't know how well
their activation works -- one hypothetical is that it fails
because the user changed too many things (RAM, disk drives,
CPU, etc.) in his system at once.

One attractive function of Linux, of course: no license fees. :-)

[.sigsnip]

[*] or the equivalent thereof.

--
ewi...@earthlink.net -- insert random misquote here
EAC code #191 22d:08h:22m actually running Linux.

The Ghost In The Machine

Mar 8, 2002, 9:07:19 PM3/8/02
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Donn Miller
<dmmi...@cvzoom.net>
wrote
on Thu, 07 Mar 2002 13:45:33 -0500
<3C87B54D...@cvzoom.net>:

> flatf...@mariana.trench wrote:
>
>> I'm not vindictive like most of the LinoNuts around here Donn and
>> believe me I could care less if you went out on the corner of
>> 42nd and Broadway and sold home made copies.
>
> I don't trust you at all, dude. You've been calling me a pirate, and
> some others in here hinted that I was a pirate, so I took it off my HD.
> I can't trust anyone that keeps calling me a pirate. Besides, if I
> really wanted a copy of XP, $99 for a legal copy is no big deal.

Dumb question: is that for a full XP install (i.e., onto a virgin
computer) or for upgrade only? I thought XP (full) retailed
for something like $299, or even $399.

I'll admit, I've not checked lately, though. :-)

[rest snipped]

--
ewi...@earthlink.net -- insert random price quote here
EAC code #191 22d:09h:52m actually running Linux.

Donn Miller

Mar 9, 2002, 10:57:11 AM3/9/02
flatf...@mariana.trench wrote:

> On Sat, 09 Mar 2002 01:44:12 GMT, The Ghost In The Machine
> <ewi...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>>One attractive function of Linux, of course: no license fees. :-)
>>

> True.

So, when are you going to post from nix? Your tale of your nix computer
being ruined from being left on too long in your tank is getting a
little old...

Roy Culley

Mar 10, 2002, 7:35:49 PM3/10/02
In article <07166a...@seneca.peternet.smp>,
Peter =?ISO-8859-15?Q?K=F6hlmann?= <Peter.K...@t-online.de> writes:
> Tom Cummins wrote:
>
>> On 6 Mar 2002 11:41:41 -0800, jma...@hotmail.com <jma...@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>>Didn't I just see a post where you admited to pirating a copy of XP?
>>>What a hypocrite loooooooser.
>>
>> You really ARE flatfish!
>
> And if he weren't, he would rival FlatMind in shallowness.
> Max 2 braincells, not even remotely connected

And if flatshish is a she then she is pregnant. :-)