Re: Harvard Business School researchers say linux will never beat MS!!!

1 view
Message has been deleted

Roy Schestowitz

Sep 10, 2006, 2:20:45 PM9/10/06
__/ [ Karen Hill ] on Sunday 10 September 2006 19:04 \__

> Because MS has the first move advantage, HBS says Linux will never be
> number one!
>
> http://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/4834.html

Says who?

http://www.people.hbs.edu/rmasanell/

A guy who received his Ph.D. from some obscure university several years ago.
What does he know about technology? Errrr... well, he studied economics in
Barcelona.

'Nuff said.

--
Roy S. Schestowitz | Linux: does exactly what it says on the tin
http://Schestowitz.com | Free as in Free Beer Ś PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E

flatfish+++

Sep 10, 2006, 2:26:15 PM9/10/06
On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 11:04:01 -0700, Karen Hill wrote:

> Because MS has the first move advantage, HBS says Linux will never be
> number one!
>
> http://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/4834.html

Get ready for the Linux nutsacks to start trying to discredit Harvard.

ed

Sep 10, 2006, 2:35:31 PM9/10/06
On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 19:20:45 +0100
Roy Schestowitz <newsg...@schestowitz.com> wrote:

> http://www.people.hbs.edu/rmasanell/
>
> A guy who received his Ph.D. from some obscure university several
> years ago. What does he know about technology? Errrr... well, he
> studied economics in Barcelona.

Reminds me of Fawty Towers:

Manwell: "I know narfing, I am from Bar-cel-ona"

--
Regards, Ed :: http://www.gnunix.net
proud perl hacker

ed

Sep 10, 2006, 2:36:24 PM9/10/06

You're the least productive person I've seen here.

--
Regards, Ed :: http://www.s5h.net
just another linux person

flatfish+++

Sep 10, 2006, 2:48:33 PM9/10/06
On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 19:20:45 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> __/ [ Karen Hill ] on Sunday 10 September 2006 19:04 \__
>
>> Because MS has the first move advantage, HBS says Linux will never be
>> number one!
>>
>> http://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/4834.html
>
> Says who?
>
> http://www.people.hbs.edu/rmasanell/
>
> A guy who received his Ph.D. from some obscure university several years ago.
> What does he know about technology? Errrr... well, he studied economics in
> Barcelona.
>
> 'Nuff said.

Here comes the classic COLA gang discredit technique.
Boy that didn't take long.

Funny, coming from a professional student like Roi Boi.

Hadron Quark

Sep 10, 2006, 2:49:13 PM9/10/06
ed <e...@noreply.com> writes:

> On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 19:20:45 +0100
> Roy Schestowitz <newsg...@schestowitz.com> wrote:
>
>> http://www.people.hbs.edu/rmasanell/
>>
>> A guy who received his Ph.D. from some obscure university several
>> years ago. What does he know about technology? Errrr... well, he
>> studied economics in Barcelona.
>
> Reminds me of Fawty Towers:
>
> Manwell: "I know narfing, I am from Bar-cel-ona"

Its "nah-think" and "bar-the-loner".

Oh, and its not funny to stereotype all foreign people.

Do you call all black people by the N word too?

--
This is a scsi driver, scraes the shit out of me, therefore I tapdanced
and wrote a unix clone around it (C) by linus

Hadron Quark

Sep 10, 2006, 2:52:48 PM9/10/06
Roy Schestowitz <newsg...@schestowitz.com> writes:

> __/ [ Karen Hill ] on Sunday 10 September 2006 19:04 \__
>
>> Because MS has the first move advantage, HBS says Linux will never be
>> number one!
>>
>> http://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/4834.html
>
> Says who?
>
> http://www.people.hbs.edu/rmasanell/
>
> A guy who received his Ph.D. from some obscure university several
> years ago.

As fresher support at Manchester Uni, I don't really think you should
be throwing too many insults about peoples academic qualifications Roy.

> What does he know about technology? Errrr... well, he studied economics in
> Barcelona.

Err, he uses it and is able, unlike some, to form an independent opinion?

> 'Nuff said.

ed

Sep 10, 2006, 2:57:27 PM9/10/06
On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 20:49:13 +0200
Hadron Quark <qadro...@geemail.com> wrote:

> ed <e...@noreply.com> writes:
>
> > On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 19:20:45 +0100
> > Roy Schestowitz <newsg...@schestowitz.com> wrote:
> >
> >> http://www.people.hbs.edu/rmasanell/
> >>
> >> A guy who received his Ph.D. from some obscure university several
> >> years ago. What does he know about technology? Errrr... well, he
> >> studied economics in Barcelona.
> >
> > Reminds me of Fawty Towers:
> >
> > Manwell: "I know narfing, I am from Bar-cel-ona"
>
> Its "nah-think" and "bar-the-loner".
>
> Oh, and its not funny to stereotype all foreign people.
>
> Do you call all black people by the N word too?

Hah, there's nothing stereotyped here, the fact that R Masanell reminds
me of a comedy scene in which someone was acting an idiot has nothing to
do with your PC accusation.

What N word is that, you're making racial insinuations.

--
Regards, Ed :: http://www.usenix.org.uk
just another perl hacker

Roy Schestowitz

Sep 10, 2006, 3:02:01 PM9/10/06
__/ [ ed ] on Sunday 10 September 2006 19:35 \__

> On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 19:20:45 +0100
> Roy Schestowitz <newsg...@schestowitz.com> wrote:
>
>> http://www.people.hbs.edu/rmasanell/
>>
>> A guy who received his Ph.D. from some obscure university several
>> years ago. What does he know about technology? Errrr... well, he
>> studied economics in Barcelona.
>
> Reminds me of Fawty Towers:
>
> Manwell: "I know narfing, I am from Bar-cel-ona"

I wasn't referring to Barcelona as means of discreding the place, but merely
echoing what stood out at the top of page 1. That aside, just reading the
first few paragraphs I found (paragraph 2):

"However, OSS has disadvantages too. Most importantly, it comes from behind
in terms of market share (installed base)."

***Buzzz***

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Installed_base

,----[ Full quote ]
| "Installed base is a measure of the number of units of a
| particular type of system (usually a computing platform)
| actually in use, as opposed to market share, which only reflects
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|
| sales over a particular period. Because installed base includes
| machines that may have been in use for many years, it is usually a
| higher figure than market share. Many people see it as a more
| reliable indicator of a platform's popularity."
`----

That's when I stopped reading. And so should the reviewer. When people get
technical terminology wrong and fall victim to misconception, peer review
should have the paper rejected. The guys may have studied malarkey like
Taylorism and can work out strategies, but their technical merits and
understanding of groupthink is lacking due to the scope of their research.
When a person from the field of economics approaches a discussion about
computing, then you know you should take a step back. Ask yttrx.

Best wishes,

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz
roy pts/8 Sun Sep 10 09:49 still logged in

Hadron Quark

Sep 10, 2006, 3:10:01 PM9/10/06
ed <e...@noreply.com> writes:

> On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 20:49:13 +0200
> Hadron Quark <qadro...@geemail.com> wrote:
>
>> ed <e...@noreply.com> writes:

>> > Reminds me of Fawty Towers:
>> >
>> > Manwell: "I know narfing, I am from Bar-cel-ona"
>>
>> Its "nah-think" and "bar-the-loner".
>>
>> Oh, and its not funny to stereotype all foreign people.
>>
>> Do you call all black people by the N word too?
>
> Hah, there's nothing stereotyped here, the fact that R Masanell reminds
> me of a comedy scene in which someone was acting an idiot has nothing to
> do with your PC accusation.

How did he remind you Ed? Because he's brown? And from Spain?

> What N word is that, you're making racial insinuations.

I am? Pray tell me more : for someone that asks me "what N word?", you
seem to have a fair idea.

I hate racists and stereotyping.

--
I've run DOOM more in the last few days than I have the last few
months. I just love debugging ;-)

Hadron Quark

Sep 10, 2006, 3:14:38 PM9/10/06
Roy Schestowitz <newsg...@schestowitz.com> writes:

> __/ [ ed ] on Sunday 10 September 2006 19:35 \__
>
>> On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 19:20:45 +0100
>> Roy Schestowitz <newsg...@schestowitz.com> wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.people.hbs.edu/rmasanell/
>>>
>>> A guy who received his Ph.D. from some obscure university several
>>> years ago. What does he know about technology? Errrr... well, he
>>> studied economics in Barcelona.
>>
>> Reminds me of Fawty Towers:
>>
>> Manwell: "I know narfing, I am from Bar-cel-ona"
>
> I wasn't referring to Barcelona as means of discreding the place, but merely
> echoing what stood out at the top of page 1. That aside, just reading the
> first few paragraphs I found (paragraph 2):
>
> "However, OSS has disadvantages too. Most importantly, it comes from behind
> in terms of market share (installed base)."
>
> ***Buzzz***
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Installed_base
>
> ,----[ Full quote ]
> | "Installed base is a measure of the number of units of a
> | particular type of system (usually a computing platform)
> | actually in use, as opposed to market share, which only reflects

But anyone with half a brain knows what it means Roy. Do you have half a
brain?

If there is a market of 200 people out there and 100 buy windows and the
other buy a copy of Linux for the cost of the CD, what % of the market
does MS have? 50%. The rest? Work it out. Ridiculously unlikely though
my examples was.

Playing clever boy pedant isn't big & clever.

You, and we, knew what he meant.

> | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> |
> | sales over a particular period. Because installed base includes
> | machines that may have been in use for many years, it is usually a
> | higher figure than market share. Many people see it as a more
> | reliable indicator of a platform's popularity."
> `----
>
> That's when I stopped reading. And so should the reviewer. When people
> get

That's when you stopped reading???????????????????

And you wonder why nOOBs stop trying to get Linux to install. Jesus,
double standards or what!?!?!??!

> technical terminology wrong and fall victim to misconception, peer review
> should have the paper rejected. The guys may have studied malarkey like
> Taylorism and can work out strategies, but their technical merits and
> understanding of groupthink is lacking due to the scope of their research.
> When a person from the field of economics approaches a discussion about
> computing, then you know you should take a step back. Ask yttrx.

Economics covers a lot of sins. I don't see that IT is any
different. Frankly I don't believe a word any economist says about
anything.

--
Not responsible for lost or stolen articles.

ed

Sep 10, 2006, 3:21:02 PM9/10/06
On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 21:10:01 +0200
Hadron Quark <qadro...@geemail.com> wrote:

> How did he remind you Ed? Because he's brown? And from Spain?

No, not at all, why you think such a thing is beyond me, the colour of
someone's skin has nothing to do with a comedy scene, which is about all
that Harvard post can be likened to.

I had no idea Spanish people were brown. What makes you think they are?

--
Regards, Ed :: http://www.linuxwarez.co.uk
proud c++ person

Rick

Sep 10, 2006, 3:23:15 PM9/10/06
On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 20:49:13 +0200, Hadron Quark wrote:

> ed <e...@noreply.com> writes:
>
>> On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 19:20:45 +0100
>> Roy Schestowitz <newsg...@schestowitz.com> wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.people.hbs.edu/rmasanell/
>>>
>>> A guy who received his Ph.D. from some obscure university several years
>>> ago. What does he know about technology? Errrr... well, he studied
>>> economics in Barcelona.
>>
>> Reminds me of Fawty Towers:
>>
>> Manwell: "I know narfing, I am from Bar-cel-ona"
>
> Its "nah-think" and "bar-the-loner".
>
> Oh, and its not funny to stereotype all foreign people.
>
> Do you call all black people by the N word too?

Idiot. Go watch Fawlty Towers.

<http://www.bbcamerica.com/genre/comedy_games/fawlty_towers/fawlty_towers.jsp>

--
Rick
<http://ricks-place.tripod.com/sound/2cents.wav>

Peter Kai Jensen

Sep 10, 2006, 3:25:32 PM9/10/06
--
PeKaJe
> Pan sucks.
As an Outlook Express user, your opinion on other newsreaders means about as
much as Carrot Top's advice on fashion. -- Tukla Ratte responding to DFS.

Hadron Quark

Sep 10, 2006, 3:46:30 PM9/10/06
ed <e...@noreply.com> writes:

> On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 21:10:01 +0200
> Hadron Quark <qadro...@geemail.com> wrote:
>
>> How did he remind you Ed? Because he's brown? And from Spain?
>
> No, not at all, why you think such a thing is beyond me, the colour of
> someone's skin has nothing to do with a comedy scene, which is about all
> that Harvard post can be likened to.
>
> I had no idea Spanish people were brown. What makes you think they
> are?

Because, err, they are. Generally.

--
"How should I know if it works? That's what beta testers are for. I only
coded it."

7

Sep 10, 2006, 3:56:19 PM9/10/06
Karen Hill wrote:

> Because MS has the first move advantage, HBS says Linux will never be
> number one!
>
> http://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/4834.html

"Ask them this question: Can the open source software movement defeat (or
severely cripple) Microsoft in the marketplace?"

Thats a straw man argument.
Open Source doesn't seek to defeat (or
severely cripple) micoshaft in the marketplace.

Ergo, HBS researchers are thick shits.

Thank god for that!

In case you are interested, Open Source is about choice.

Rolf Bauer

Sep 10, 2006, 4:46:25 PM9/10/06
Peter Kai Jensen wrote:

> Karen Hill wrote:
>
>> Because MS has the first move advantage, HBS says Linux will never be
>> number one!

> --
> I suck black cocks for wooden nickels.

Thanks for sharing, you Danish poof.

Peter Hayes

Sep 10, 2006, 5:41:41 PM9/10/06
In <20060910202...@localhost.localdomain> ed wrote:

> I had no idea Spanish people were brown. What makes you think they are?

Maybe because they have 320 days of sub-tropical sunshine a year?

--

Peter

Message has been deleted

GreyCloud

Sep 10, 2006, 6:25:53 PM9/10/06
flatfish+++ wrote:

> Another Linux genius.

Erm... he doesn't use Linux. He's using OS X on an Apple laptop.

> So Einstein, why are babies brown or black or white for that matter when
> they come out of the womb?
>
> All that sub-tropical sunshine somehow finding it's way into the uterus?
>
> AFAIK there is only one way in and out and it points downward, albeit at
> an angle, normally.
>

> The more I read this group, the more I say to myself "it can't be real".

That part seems to be on the mark. I've made a few comments many years
ago here, and lo and behold I've been proven right. Remember the thread
about light can't go faster than the speed of light? Well, it can. But
many that have invested tons of money or are still in debt to the
government and have been taught by old standards from academia, haven't
kept up with the times. Nor can they explain many odd-ball phenomena
that violates their white priest-hood stance.

--
Where are we going?
And why am I in this handbasket?

GreyCloud

Sep 10, 2006, 6:27:18 PM9/10/06
Karen Hill wrote:

> Because MS has the first move advantage, HBS says Linux will never be
> number one!
>

> http://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/4834.html

Sorry, but the great majority of Harvard bean counters have screwed up
the majority of the entertainment industry as well. Do you really trust
these clowns?

bugbuster

Sep 10, 2006, 6:32:17 PM9/10/06
On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 17:51:07 -0400, flatfish+++ wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 21:41:41 +0000, Peter Hayes wrote:
>

> Another Linux genius.

> So Einstein, why are babies brown or black or white for that matter when
> they come out of the womb?
>
> All that sub-tropical sunshine somehow finding it's way into the uterus?
>
> AFAIK there is only one way in and out and it points downward, albeit at
> an angle, normally.
>

> The more I read this group, the more I say to myself "it can't be real".

Actually Peter is not far off the mark. Over many generations people
living in warm climates will tend to develop darker skin as protection
from ultraviolet rays. People living in cooler climates tend to develop
lighter skin to allow for better generation of vitamin D (caused by those
very same UV rays). It's a balance between the good and bad effects of
the sun. Of course this transition takes thousands of years to occur.
It's not that the sun directy causes skin color changes. But those whose
skin color wasn't optimized for the climate were less likely to survive
and pass on their genes. The best evidence today is that all humans alive
today came from a small group of just a few thousand some 50 thousand
years ago - after a major climatic change wiped out most humans. At that
point there was no such thing as race. That small group migrated out of
Africa and, over time, their decendents skin color adjusted to the local
climate thus creating what we today call different races of people. We
are all related by just a couple of thousand generations.

Bug

OK

Sep 10, 2006, 6:38:31 PM9/10/06
On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 16:27:18 -0600, GreyCloud <mi...@cumulus.com>
wrote:

>Karen Hill wrote:
>
>> Because MS has the first move advantage, HBS says Linux will never be
>> number one!
>>
>> http://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/4834.html
>>

>Sorry, but the great majority of Harvard bean counters have screwed up
>the majority of the entertainment industry as well. Do you really trust
>these clowns?

No, we don't. They are overly optimistic when they say "second best",
the truth is very, very far from that:

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=2
http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2006/August/os.php

Roy Culley

Sep 10, 2006, 7:56:06 PM9/10/06
begin risky.vbs
<ktadnQTr6sFnDZnY...@bresnan.com>,

GreyCloud <mi...@cumulus.com> writes:

> That part seems to be on the mark. I've made a few comments many years
> ago here, and lo and behold I've been proven right. Remember the thread
> about light can't go faster than the speed of light?

Hmm, that doesn't make much sense. I presume you mean light can go
faster than that predicted by theory for the speed of light in a
vacuum.

> Well, it can.

Care to post some links for this. Are you confusing the speed of light
with the EPR thought experiment, Bell's inequality and Aspect's actual
experiment?

> But many that have invested tons of money or are still in debt to
> the government and have been taught by old standards from academia,
> haven't kept up with the times.

Just what are you implying by old standards? Has SR been proven wrong
in its domain of applicability? GR? Newton's laws of motion and
gravitation were good enough to land man on the moon yet we know they
are incorrect. SR, GR and QED are not the final answer either but do
you know of anything better?

> Nor can they explain many odd-ball phenomena that violates their
> white priest-hood stance.

And science is all about trying to explain these 'odd-ball phenomena'.
Towards the end of the 19th century there was the perception that
Newton and Maxwell had discovered the fundamental theories that
described all of nature. The 1st quarter of the 20th century laid that
to rest. No respectable scientist today believes we know all there is
to know. No scientific theory can ever be proven true. The best we can
do is test our current theories and when the theory fails look for
another. That is what science is all about.

On the web you'll find some talks Feynman gave to lay people on what
science really is all about. Perhaps someone has links to them. I
think you'll find them most enlightening.

--
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as
false, and by rulers as useful." -- Seneca the Younger (4? BC - 65 AD)

Hadron Quark

Sep 11, 2006, 12:04:20 AM9/11/06
bugbuster <bugb...@nowhere.org> writes:

> On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 17:51:07 -0400, flatfish+++ wrote:

>>> Maybe because they have 320 days of sub-tropical sunshine a year?
>>
>> Another Linux genius.
>>
>> So Einstein, why are babies brown or black or white for that matter when
>> they come out of the womb?
>>
>> All that sub-tropical sunshine somehow finding it's way into the uterus?
>>
>> AFAIK there is only one way in and out and it points downward, albeit at
>> an angle, normally.
>>

>> The more I read this group, the more I say to myself "it can't be real".
>
> Actually Peter is not far off the mark. Over many generations people
> living in warm climates will tend to develop darker skin as protection
> from ultraviolet rays. People living in cooler climates tend to
> develop

Am I really reading this?

Are you serious? You are explaining why "dark" people come from sunnier
climates?

Wow. I would never have known.

casioc...@gmail.com

Sep 11, 2006, 12:17:10 AM9/11/06

And had 800 years of Arab rule.

casioc...@gmail.com

Sep 11, 2006, 12:24:56 AM9/11/06

Hadron Quark wrote:
> ed <e...@noreply.com> writes:
>
> > On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 20:49:13 +0200
> > Hadron Quark <qadro...@geemail.com> wrote:

> >> Its "nah-think" and "bar-the-loner".
> >>
> >> Oh, and its not funny to stereotype all foreign people.
> >>
> >> Do you call all black people by the N word too?
> >
> > Hah, there's nothing stereotyped here, the fact that R Masanell reminds
> > me of a comedy scene in which someone was acting an idiot has nothing to
> > do with your PC accusation.
>
> How did he remind you Ed? Because he's brown? And from Spain?
> >
> > What N word is that, you're making racial insinuations.
>
> I am? Pray tell me more : for someone that asks me "what N word?", you
> seem to have a fair idea.
>
> I hate racists and stereotyping.

I wish people were lighthearted about "the N word". It's one of my
favourites after "the F word" (f*gg*t). My poems are filled with those
two and I can't get published.

John A. Bailo

Sep 11, 2006, 1:55:06 AM9/11/06
Karen Hill wrote:

> Because MS has the first move advantage, HBS says Linux will never be
> number one!
>
> http://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/4834.html

What they basically say is that if they lower their price enough, then the
benefits of switching to Linux are lost. It also implies that Vista's
higher prices are detrimental to Microsoft:

"Well… we were wrong (and this illustrates the usefulness of developing a
formal model). What we had missed is that Microsoft's initial advantage
(larger installed base) together with its pricing power allow the company
to price strategically to control Linux's market share going forward. By
lowering the price of Windows, the demand for Linux shrinks to the point
where Linux is not a threat to the survival of Windows. The model also
shows that a "milking strategy" (setting high prices in the short term and
leaving the market at some point in the future) is not desirable to
Microsoft. The reason is that if Microsoft follows such a strategy, as the
last period becomes closer and closer, the relative benefit of abandoning
it and lowering prices to survive a few more periods increases
dramatically."

But the pain of "lowering prices" seems rather extreme:

"Strictly speaking, within our model the only way in which Microsoft can get
rid of Linux is by setting the price at zero."

So, he says that the only way (and in the paragraphs above, he
actually /recommends/ FUD and the actions described in the Halloween memoes
-- including using SCO -- as *apt* business strategies!!!) to "get rid" of
Linux is to set the price of Microsoft products at zero!

"Infuse fear, uncertainty, and doubt into the Linux user community. For this
to work, the statements must be perceived as credible. Credibility requires
some past FUD announcements to be realized."

Is this what they teach people at HBS ?!?!?!

He also really struggles and seems to be saying that a /duopoly/ conveys the
most benefits to the most users -- it keeps prices low and fosters
competition.

Overall I find this article very flawed. For example, he only talks about
"displacing" Microsoft. Well, for the majority of the world, Microsoft is
not a monopoly. China and India, for example, are only just now building
infrastructures. They are making choices as to what the "dominant" OS
will be. There is no "first advantage" in the majority of the world.

Second, he seems to get really confused by who is doing what. He talks of
Linux succeeding but Novell failing. I think he means Netware decreasing,
but that is assumed by all. If anything, Novell would rise with the Linux
that he sees succeeding.

--
Texeme Construct

GreyCloud

Sep 11, 2006, 2:48:16 PM9/11/06
Roy Culley wrote:

New experiments show that some things can travel faster than the speed
of light.

But the Universe always manages to ensure that we can never use the
effect for anything useful, like building a faster-than-light starship
or travelling back in time.

It is a fundamental law of physics, a fact that is built into the
architecture of the Universe and taught to every student, that nothing
can travel faster than light which is roughly 300,000 km a second
(186,000 miles).

Well not exactly. The Universe does have this speed limit but recent
experiments would seem to suggest that in certain circumstances
something can travel a bit quicker.

According to Einstein's special theory of relativity, a
faster-than-light signal would violate the "causality principle," which
states that "causes" always precede "effects."

The recent experiments are not especially new. Physicists have been
making light pulses that travel faster than c (the speed of light in a
vacuum) for years. They key point however, is that none of the
experiments could be used to send information faster than c.

The fact that there are anomolies indicates that current science really
doesn't have all the answers to these. What it does show is the need
for more ingenuity on thier part to solve a problem. Then there is the
blue-light effect in nuclear reactors that also displays FTL effects.
Today we can't do FTL, tomorrow we may well achieve this. Saying that
it is impossible already puts self made limits on what can and could be
done.

GreyCloud

Sep 11, 2006, 2:50:05 PM9/11/06
OK wrote:

A real good one is when the muscians union in Lake Tahoe, Nevada went on
strike because the new Harvard bean counters said it was cheaper to put
in canned music and can the muscians. Unfortunately, they ruined the
ambiance of what live music can give... hence the bean counters just
screwed it up.

Chris Dunaway

Sep 11, 2006, 3:12:55 PM9/11/06
flatfish+++ wrote:
> So Einstein, why are babies brown or black or white for that matter when
> they come out of the womb?

Technically, they don't. Someone in medicine correct me if I'm wrong,
but I believe that a babies pigmentation does not usually appear until
hours after birth? I thought I read that somewhere.

flatfish+++

Sep 11, 2006, 3:32:11 PM9/11/06

Hours, minutes, days it doesn't matter.
The point is the kid didn't turn brown from sitting in the sun.

Peter Hayes

Sep 11, 2006, 4:36:32 PM9/11/06
In <GdCdnQ-EPuvmMpjY...@bresnan.com> GreyCloud wrote:

> Then
> there is the blue-light effect in nuclear reactors that also displays
> FTL effects.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherenkov_radiation

But it's only FTL in the dielectric it's in, ie it still isn't FTL in a
vacuum.

--

Peter

Kier

Sep 11, 2006, 4:53:09 PM9/11/06

Not in a literal sense, no. But his ancestors evolved under a fiercer sun,
and thus become darkers skinned for protection over thousands of years, so
in that sense they did go brown from sitting in the sun.

--
Kier

Roy Culley

Sep 11, 2006, 5:10:45 PM9/11/06
begin risky.vbs
<GdCdnQ-EPuvmMpjY...@bresnan.com>,

But that's not what you said greycloud. You said others said light
can't go faster than light and you said it could. Clearly light goes
as fast as light goes and your remark was nonsense.

I gave some clues for you to look up, especially Aspect's experiment
which proved Einstein was wrong. Still no information travels faster
than light speed in a vacuum. I know of no experiment / observation
that shows anything can travel faster than light speed in a vacuum.

What has been shown is that coupled particles in the quantum realm are
not limited to the speed of light regarding their state when one is
observed. No information, far less matter, is transferred here at
greater then light speed.

SR ain't perfect but no exeriment / observation has ever shown it to
be wrong in its domain of applicability.

Certainly light speed, in a vacuum, has never been excedded by any
particle with non-zero rest mass.

Hadron Quark

Sep 11, 2006, 5:40:16 PM9/11/06
flatfish+++ <flat...@linuxmail.org> writes:

No, but his colouration was indeed caused by thousands of years of his
ancestors doing it.

--
QOTD:
I won't say he's unsavory, but for his birthday he bought himself

Message has been deleted

bugbuster

Sep 11, 2006, 6:41:05 PM9/11/06

Of course most people know this. But flatfish didn't seem to. I think it
may be less well known that dark skin is not only not required but
actually can be harmful in cooler climates by reducing vitamin D
production.

Bug

Message has been deleted

GreyCloud

Sep 11, 2006, 11:00:31 PM9/11/06
Roy Culley wrote:

You fail to address the blue light effect in nuclear reactors where
scientists do claim that light of this travels faster.
How do you explain this?

> I gave some clues for you to look up, especially Aspect's experiment
> which proved Einstein was wrong. Still no information travels faster
> than light speed in a vacuum. I know of no experiment / observation
> that shows anything can travel faster than light speed in a vacuum.

There are current experiments I've heard that are taking place that
shows information transfer does take place instaneously... called the
God effect. Don't know why they call it that, just reporting what I've
read in past newspapers. It was some kind of laser holograhpic
experiment done on DNA material. It was their claims that were
interesting on how it worked. Just wish I could come up with the
appropriate Google search term for it.

> What has been shown is that coupled particles in the quantum realm are
> not limited to the speed of light regarding their state when one is
> observed. No information, far less matter, is transferred here at
> greater then light speed.
>
> SR ain't perfect but no exeriment / observation has ever shown it to
> be wrong in its domain of applicability.
>
> Certainly light speed, in a vacuum, has never been excedded by any
> particle with non-zero rest mass.

Oh, the particle never will under force. I suspect that a "short-cut"
or some other means of going around the limit is what will eventually
happen or discovered. In essence going from point A to point B in a
shorter amount of time than light can be possible. It is just a matter
of trying to find a way that I feel is needed, rather than a dismissal.
In the past, what was considered hard scientific fact, was later to be
disproved. I remember the comment made by a scientist around the
discovery of the X-ray "we've discovered everything there is to discover
and nothing more".

GreyCloud

Sep 11, 2006, 11:01:57 PM9/11/06
Peter Hayes wrote:

It is a start. The blue-light effect known as Cherenkov radiation was
proven by US gov. scientists... as heard on the grapevine before
retirement from respected sources.

Mark Kent

Sep 12, 2006, 10:59:19 AM9/12/06
begin oe_protect.scr
Roy Schestowitz <newsg...@schestowitz.com> espoused:
> __/ [ Karen Hill ] on Sunday 10 September 2006 19:04 \__

>> Because MS has the first move advantage, HBS says Linux will never be
>> number one!
>>
>> http://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/4834.html
>
> Says who?

> http://www.people.hbs.edu/rmasanell/
>
> A guy who received his Ph.D. from some obscure university several years ago.
> What does he know about technology? Errrr... well, he studied economics in
> Barcelona.
>
> 'Nuff said.

Isn't Karen Hill another flatty gender shift?

"... freedom ... is a worship word..."
"It is our worship word too."
-- Cloud William and Kirk, "The Omega Glory", stardate unknown

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

Sep 12, 2006, 8:21:23 AM9/12/06
begin In <m9let3-...@dog.did.it>, on 09/11/2006

at 01:56 AM, r...@nodomain.none (Roy Culley) said:

>Are you confusing the speed of light with the EPR thought experiment,
>Bell's inequality and Aspect's actual experiment?

My guess is that he's confusing the speed of light in vacuum with the
apparent speed of light in tangible media.

reply to spam...@library.lspace.org

Peter Köhlmann

Sep 12, 2006, 11:14:01 AM9/12/06
Mark Kent wrote:

> begin oe_protect.scr
> Roy Schestowitz <newsg...@schestowitz.com> espoused:
>> __/ [ Karen Hill ] on Sunday 10 September 2006 19:04 \__
>>
>>> Because MS has the first move advantage, HBS says Linux will never be
>>> number one!
>>>
>>> http://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/4834.html
>>
>> Says who?
>>
>> http://www.people.hbs.edu/rmasanell/
>>
>> A guy who received his Ph.D. from some obscure university several years
>> ago. What does he know about technology? Errrr... well, he studied
>> economics in Barcelona.
>>
>> 'Nuff said.
>>

> Isn't Karen Hill another flatty gender shift?

Yup
--
We are Borg. Resistance is futile (Borg Gates)

Roy Schestowitz

Sep 12, 2006, 11:39:21 AM9/12/06
__/ [ Peter Köhlmann ] on Tuesday 12 September 2006 16:14 \__

Crap. I wasn't sure.

JEDIDIAH

Sep 12, 2006, 11:56:45 AM9/12/06

The Spaniards have been sitting out in the sun for far longer than
that. There are also many more waves of migration than just the Arabs. The
Spaniards are the result of a very long history of people migrating through
the mediterranean. Europe in general seems to be like that.

--
Sophocles wants his cut. |||
/ | \

JEDIDIAH

Sep 12, 2006, 11:53:01 AM9/12/06
On 2006-09-10, flatfish+++ <flat...@linuxmail.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 21:41:41 +0000, Peter Hayes wrote:
>
>> In <20060910202...@localhost.localdomain> ed wrote:
>>
>>> I had no idea Spanish people were brown. What makes you think they are?
>>
>> Maybe because they have 320 days of sub-tropical sunshine a year?
>
> Another Linux genius.
>
> So Einstein, why are babies brown or black or white for that matter when
> they come out of the womb?
>
> All that sub-tropical sunshine somehow finding it's way into the uterus?

Nope. It will just make it far less likely that the palefaces live
long enough to get to breed. Even 1st degree burns over most of your
body will tend to ruin your day. Nevermind the second degree burns
you will get if you're really pale. Then there are the likely infections
that will result when all of those blisters start popping and what's
underneath is exposed to nature and bushmen style hygeine standards.

[deletia]

Keep in mind that the really pale can manage to get second degree
sunburn in northern locales like England or Chicago, nevermind equitorial
Africa.

JEDIDIAH

Sep 12, 2006, 11:55:02 AM9/12/06
On 2006-09-11, bugbuster <bugb...@nowhere.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 06:04:20 +0200, Hadron Quark wrote:
>
>> bugbuster <bugb...@nowhere.org> writes:

[deletia]

>> Am I really reading this?
>>
>> Are you serious? You are explaining why "dark" people come from sunnier
>> climates?
>>
>> Wow. I would never have known.
>
> Of course most people know this. But flatfish didn't seem to. I think it
> may be less well known that dark skin is not only not required but
> actually can be harmful in cooler climates by reducing vitamin D
> production.

Pale skin is also supposed to be less subseptable to cold damage.

JEDIDIAH

Sep 12, 2006, 11:57:58 AM9/12/06
On 2006-09-10, flatfish+++ <flat...@linuxmail.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 11:04:01 -0700, Karen Hill wrote:
>
>> Because MS has the first move advantage, HBS says Linux will never be
>> number one!
>>
>> http://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/4834.html
>

> Get ready for the Linux nutsacks to start trying to discredit Harvard.

Why not?

I have already discounted anything that Forbes has to say on tech
and I have been a dead tree subscriber of theirs for years.

We call them the dull edge of the handle of a butterknife.

Mark Kent

Sep 12, 2006, 5:07:47 PM9/12/06
begin oe_protect.scr
Roy Schestowitz <newsg...@schestowitz.com> espoused:
> __/ [ Peter Köhlmann ] on Tuesday 12 September 2006 16:14 \__
>
>> Mark Kent wrote:
>>
>>> begin oe_protect.scr
>>> Roy Schestowitz <newsg...@schestowitz.com> espoused:

>>> Isn't Karen Hill another flatty gender shift?
>>>

>> Yup
>
> Crap. I wasn't sure.

It's quite a sad thing, really, that if and when females do appear here,
most people probably think it's Gary on one of his female days.

Roy Schestowitz

Sep 12, 2006, 5:23:29 PM9/12/06
__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Tuesday 12 September 2006 22:07 \__

> begin oe_protect.scr
> Roy Schestowitz <newsg...@schestowitz.com> espoused:
>> __/ [ Peter Köhlmann ] on Tuesday 12 September 2006 16:14 \__

>>> Yup
>>
>> Crap. I wasn't sure.
>
> It's quite a sad thing, really, that if and when females do appear here,
> most people probably think it's Gary on one of his female days.

Jeanette (Russo?) is around and she is polite and friendly. With everybody
else, I'd naturally be suspicious. There is a renowned Slashdot/RPG
phenomenon where lads pretend to be gals in order to get special attention
or test reactions from the opposite sex.

Best wishes,

Roy

PS - Hey, Mark, slightly off topic, but have a look at a response I set a
recruiter this morning (probably going overboard 'educating' HR):

___/ On Tue 12 Sep 2006 10:02:38 BST, [ <anonymised> ] wrote : \___

> Hi Roy,
>
> This opportunity looked like a good match for your background.
>
> This is a great opportunity for a talented C++ developer with strong
> mathematics to make the move into one of the top Structured Credit
> Derivatives Quant teams in the city. The current team of 8 is looking for a
> C++ developer with 3+ years experience and strong numerical skills.
>
> Initially your technical skills will be the main requirement however this
> hire is with a definite view to progressing into a pure quant role over the
> next year to 18 months. This team report directly to the business and sit
> next to the traders. Initial projects will involve the development of new
> analytics libraries as well as day to day model integration.
>
> The ideal candidate will have a 1st class Mathematics or Physics degree or
> PhD and at least 3 years commercial C++ development experience including
> substantial use of STL, multithreading and polymorphic programming. Front
> office experience is preferred however candidates with strong technical
> skills and excellent academics will be interviewed.
>
> Salary levels are dependent on experience but 60-80k would be expected for
> applicants without Credit Derivatives, 80k+ for those with the relevant
> business knowledge.

Hi,

I would like to ask if development is done in a closed-source or Open Source
fashion.

With kind regards,

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz, Ph.D. Candidate in Medical Biophysics
http://othellomaster.com - GPL'd 3-D Othello

Mark Kent

Sep 12, 2006, 6:39:40 PM9/12/06

Indeed... which is why I tend to be extremely suspicious of those who
claim to be female here and then use what could only be described as
lads' language. I'm always particularly taken with Gary's delicate
feminine side which seems to have a girly penchant for the word
"nutsack".

As I've said before, I think he's in need of some help.

Umm, interesting! Salaries for these jobs are pretty good, but I don't
know if you'd benefit from the kinds of 6-figure bonuses the traders
get. Also, I'm not sure how much spare time you have, either. Still -
could be worth it for the money.

Sophie Kowalski

Sep 12, 2006, 7:19:29 PM9/12/06

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> __/ [ Karen Hill ] on Sunday 10 September 2006 19:04 \__
>
> > Because MS has the first move advantage, HBS says Linux will never be
> > number one!
> >
> > http://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/4834.html
>
> Says who?
>
> http://www.people.hbs.edu/rmasanell/
>
> A guy who received his Ph.D. from some obscure university several years ago.
> What does he know about technology? Errrr... well, he studied economics in
> Barcelona.
>
> 'Nuff said.

Yes, nuff said. Harvard researcher do not know anything. He only work
at most pristegious school in world. Listen to loser like Roy
Skankowitz who post to COLA 24/7. He is the "bright" one here.

Of course if same researcher say good news about lienux then same
lintards who now trashing him would be drooling over this great news
that come from such respectable source.

Ramon F Herrera

Sep 12, 2006, 8:38:05 PM9/12/06

Hey Roy:

Leave Barcelona alone, will ya'? :-)

They are Linux-friendly territory.

I know what you meant, sometimes I am tempted to do the same thing...

-Ramon

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/browse_frm/thread/3fdc2e261407ec2e/b62713b3ae9d696e?lnk=gst&q=Barcelona+Boasts+Supercomputer&rnum=1#b62713b3ae9d696e

Hadron Quark

Sep 12, 2006, 8:35:24 PM9/12/06
Roy Schestowitz <newsg...@schestowitz.com> writes:

I scrolled down for a goodnight cringe. I was not disappointed.

> ___/ On Tue 12 Sep 2006 10:02:38 BST, [ <anonymised> ] wrote : \___
>
>> Hi Roy,
>>
>> This opportunity looked like a good match for your background.

The recruiter is obviously substandard even for one of their own.

>> This is a great opportunity for a talented C++ developer with strong
>> mathematics to make the move into one of the top Structured Credit
>> Derivatives Quant teams in the city. The current team of 8 is looking for a
>> C++ developer with 3+ years experience and strong numerical skills.

LOL.

>> Initially your technical skills will be the main requirement however this
>> hire is with a definite view to progressing into a pure quant role over the
>> next year to 18 months. This team report directly to the business and sit
>> next to the traders. Initial projects will involve the development of new
>> analytics libraries as well as day to day model integration.

English not their strong point : maybe thats why they confused you for
someone they needed.

>> The ideal candidate will have a 1st class Mathematics or Physics degree or
>> PhD and at least 3 years commercial C++ development experience
>> including

Anyone hear trumpets being blown?

>> substantial use of STL, multithreading and polymorphic
>> programming. Front

"polymorphic" programming. ROTFL.

>> office experience is preferred however candidates with strong technical
>> skills and excellent academics will be interviewed.

"front office skills"??? They need a secretary??? Send Mark'n'Roy's CV in.

>> Salary levels are dependent on experience but 60-80k would be expected for
>> applicants without Credit Derivatives, 80k+ for those with the relevant
>> business knowledge.

Credit Derivatives?!?!?!? 80k of what?

> Hi,
>
> I would like to ask if development is done in a closed-source or Open Source
> fashion.
>
> With kind regards,
>
> Roy

I would have asked more about what the job entailed. And who they really are.

--
courage, n:
Two cannibals having oral sex.

Roy Schestowitz

Sep 12, 2006, 8:50:21 PM9/12/06
__/ [ Ramon F Herrera ] on Wednesday 13 September 2006 01:38 \__

Ramon,

There was place for misinterpretation there. Later on in this thread I said:
"I wasn't referring to Barcelona as means of discrediting the place, but
merely echoing what stood out at the top of page 1." I was in Barcelona when
I was much younger and it was also my favourite (possibly one among a few)
football club as a child. The point I was making is that he didn't study in
Harvard, let alone an institute that strong on a technological side (MIT for
example). These people are most likely using La-la land O/S to write Word
document and delete SPAM in Outlook Express. And I doubt they ever use(d)
Linux at all. They look at it merely as some part of a 'model', failing to
acknowldge merits and most probably going by Harvard word of mouth
(out-of-date myths).

Best wishes,

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com | Open Prospects Ś PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E

Tim Smith

Sep 13, 2006, 12:34:29 AM9/13/06
In article <87bqpks...@geemail.com>,

Hadron Quark <qadro...@geemail.com> wrote:
> >> substantial use of STL, multithreading and polymorphic
> >> programming. Front
>
> "polymorphic" programming. ROTFL.

What do you find ROTFL-worthy about polymorphic programming?

> >> Salary levels are dependent on experience but 60-80k would be expected for
> >> applicants without Credit Derivatives, 80k+ for those with the relevant
> >> business knowledge.
>
> Credit Derivatives?!?!?!? 80k of what?

They are saying you get paid more if you have experience with credit
derivatives. This doesn't seem unusual.

--
--Tim Smith

GreyCloud

Sep 13, 2006, 12:42:15 AM9/13/06
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz wrote:

> begin In <m9let3-...@dog.did.it>, on 09/11/2006
> at 01:56 AM, r...@nodomain.none (Roy Culley) said:
>

>>Are you confusing the speed of light with the EPR thought experiment,
>>Bell's inequality and Aspect's actual experiment?
>

> My guess is that he's confusing the speed of light in vacuum with the
> apparent speed of light in tangible media.

Not at all. What I'm calling upon is my few decades of experience with
claims of "It isn't possible because..." in many situations. And over
time these same impossibilities have been overcome and made possible.
So it is only a matter of time before this limit is overcome by some
means that science has yet to discover. What I'm totally against are
those in academia that stand on it with both guns drawn saying that it
can't be done. I call these the priests of some cult. In this I really
can't tell the difference between their own contrived dogma and those of
religion. Time usually wittles them down and new brains come in and
proves them wrong.

Tim Smith

Sep 13, 2006, 12:55:21 AM9/13/06
In article <2063237.7...@schestowitz.com>,

Roy Schestowitz <newsg...@schestowitz.com> wrote:
> football club as a child. The point I was making is that he didn't study in
> Harvard, let alone an institute that strong on a technological side (MIT for
> example). These people are most likely using La-la land O/S to write Word
> document and delete SPAM in Outlook Express. And I doubt they ever use(d)
> Linux at all. They look at it merely as some part of a 'model', failing to
> acknowldge merits and most probably going by Harvard word of mouth
> (out-of-date myths).

One of the authors of the paper, Professor Ghemawat, has a PhD from
Harvard, and numerous journal publications. He was the youngest person
to ever make full professor at Harvard's business school.

The other author, whose BA is from Barcelona, has a PhD from the Kellog
Graduate School of Management of Northwestern Univsersity. That school
is generally ranked in the top 5 business schools. In the current
USN&WR rankings, for example, it is tied with MIT's Sloan school.

Generally, it is where one does his PhD work that matters. No one cares
about undergraduate schools, so why are you even bringing up Barcelona?

--
--Tim Smith

Roy Schestowitz

Sep 13, 2006, 3:50:49 AM9/13/06
__/ [ Tim Smith ] on Wednesday 13 September 2006 05:55 \__

...Never heard of Kellog before. My bad. The point I was making is that these
two don't have professional background in computing (emphasis on
/economics/, not Barcelona). My sister, for example, studies management, but
her undergraduate degree was in computer science.

Roy Schestowitz

Sep 13, 2006, 5:07:58 AM9/13/06
__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Tuesday 12 September 2006 23:39 \__

I prefer to do what I do online, to be honest with you. It pays the bill and
it's enjoyable. Just received a reply, by the way.

,----[ Quote ]
| Roy
|
| A mixture of the two actually. They have a number of analytics libraries
| some written in C++ on UNIX, but are also starting to use Linux more
| heavily. There is also a significant amount of Python used within the
| team.
|
| Regards
|
| <anon>
`----

Linux? Heavily? Boy, does the world change.

Best wishes,

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz | Wintendo O/S gets malware on its tail
http://Schestowitz.com | SuSE Linux | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E

flatfish+++

Sep 13, 2006, 10:07:54 AM9/13/06

Because Roy is a narcissistic person.

If it isn't about him, where he studies and how linux relates to him......
it doesn't count.

If Roy has never heard of Kellog he really needs to get out from under his
keyboard and out into the real world.

The real world can be a scary place for someone coming from years spent in
academia getting spoon fed theories.

Kier

Sep 13, 2006, 10:19:09 AM9/13/06
On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 10:07:54 -0400, flatfish+++ wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 21:55:21 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:
>
>> In article <2063237.7...@schestowitz.com>,
>> Roy Schestowitz <newsg...@schestowitz.com> wrote:
>>> football club as a child. The point I was making is that he didn't study in
>>> Harvard, let alone an institute that strong on a technological side (MIT for
>>> example). These people are most likely using La-la land O/S to write Word
>>> document and delete SPAM in Outlook Express. And I doubt they ever use(d)
>>> Linux at all. They look at it merely as some part of a 'model', failing to
>>> acknowldge merits and most probably going by Harvard word of mouth
>>> (out-of-date myths).
>>
>> One of the authors of the paper, Professor Ghemawat, has a PhD from
>> Harvard, and numerous journal publications. He was the youngest person
>> to ever make full professor at Harvard's business school.
>>
>> The other author, whose BA is from Barcelona, has a PhD from the Kellog
>> Graduate School of Management of Northwestern Univsersity. That school
>> is generally ranked in the top 5 business schools. In the current
>> USN&WR rankings, for example, it is tied with MIT's Sloan school.
>>
>> Generally, it is where one does his PhD work that matters. No one cares
>> about undergraduate schools, so why are you even bringing up Barcelona?
>

> Because Roy is a narcissistic person.

Where's your proof? Just saying it doesn't make it magically true.

> If it isn't about him, where he studies and how linux relates to him......
> it doesn't count.

Where's your proof? Oh, I forgot - you DON'T HAVE ANY.

--
Kier

flatfish+++

Sep 13, 2006, 10:41:43 AM9/13/06
On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 10:07:58 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> I prefer to do what I do online, to be honest with you. It pays the bill and
> it's enjoyable. Just received a reply, by the way.

> Best wishes,
>
> Roy

You mean sitting at a keyboard 24x7 spewing 1000's of
articles to comp.os.linux.advocacy?

We knew that already.