Testing out Microsoft Security Essentials

nessuno

Sep 29, 2009, 5:28:59 PM9/29/09
<Quote>
Microsoft released its new free antivirus utility, Microsoft Security
Essentials, today, September 29th, and it does the job adequately, but
it snoops into your business and it's s_l_o_w...

...in the license Microsoft states that, it will automatically "send
information about the software and your operating system to Microsoft.
This information includes the versions of the software and operating
system software." Later, Microsoft adds that it will also send the
company "your Internet protocol address, the type of operating system,
browser and name and version of the software you are using, and the
language code of the device where you installed the software."

Of course, Microsoft also says that they won't use this information to
identify you or to contact you. I don't buy that myself. I dislike any
company that makes snooping on me part of the price of using their
programs....

I found it to be surprisingly slow. A full system scan took two hours
and ten minutes. In stark contrast, Avira, my current favorite free
Windows anti-virus program, did the same job on the same machine the
night before in just over an hour....

you can easily do better with another freeware program.
</Quote>

http://www.itworld.com/security/79241/testing-out-microsoft-security-essentials

One hour, two hours and 10 minutes, whatever...funny thing is, I spend
0 time scanning my Linux machines for viruses, and I've never had any
malware on any of them.

bbgruff

Sep 29, 2009, 5:50:15 PM9/29/09
nessuno wrote:

I don't know how you can *say* that.
Surely, what you mean is that you are not *aware* of any malware?

Also, may I remind you that Linux is both a virus and a cancer?

Nono. Stop this idiocy - do the sensible thing - download Microsoft
Security Essentials *now*

ray

Sep 29, 2009, 6:17:51 PM9/29/09

Tried that - but it didn't run very well on my Gentoo system.

bbgruff

Sep 29, 2009, 6:30:04 PM9/29/09
ray wrote:

Have you tried Wine????

ray

Sep 29, 2009, 8:43:04 PM9/29/09

Ah - I'll give it a shot!

Terry Porter

Sep 29, 2009, 9:38:52 PM9/29/09

It's a hoot!

Years ago I down loaded a 'free' WINDOWS program from the net and ran it
under Wine.
I knew this WINDOWS program was reputed to have malware and that's why I
tried it.

Unlike a Windows PC, under Gnu/Linux/Gentoo, deleting and reinstalling
Wine for a normal user is a 2 second operation, so it's easy to have fun
doing stuff like this.

As soon as I ran it, WINE started spewing status messages that the
malware app needed all kinds of Windows DLLs, all internet/mail related.

Any Windows user watching would have felt *very* unsafe indeed, and
probably barfed, like most Windows users do when they have to use Windows.

My account at the time was posted to COLA, but don't expect to see the
trolls pasting a URL to it anytime soon.

--
C.O.L.A Charter:-
"For discussion of the benefits of GNU/Linux compared to other

Attila

Sep 30, 2009, 3:40:19 AM9/30/09
bbgruff wrote:

>> One hour, two hours and 10 minutes, whatever...funny thing is, I spend
>> 0 time scanning my Linux machines for viruses, and I've never had any
>> malware on any of them.
>
> I don't know how you can *say* that.
> Surely, what you mean is that you are not *aware* of any malware?
>
> Also, may I remind you that Linux is both a virus and a cancer?
>
> Nono. Stop this idiocy - do the sensible thing - download Microsoft
> Security Essentials *now*

And, as everybody knows, Linux caused the great tsunami of 2004 and the fall
of the Roman Empire. BB, you have a sick, perverted, twisted sense of
humour. I like that in a person. ;)
Attila, The Freetard from Hell

chrisv

Sep 30, 2009, 8:56:47 AM9/30/09
bbgruff wrote:

>Have you tried Wine????

I like a good Chardonnay...

nessuno

Sep 30, 2009, 9:23:48 AM9/30/09
On Sep 29, 2:50 pm, bbgruff <bbgr...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> nessuno wrote:
> > <Quote>
> > Microsoft released its new free antivirus utility, Microsoft Security
> > Essentials, today, September 29th, and it does the job adequately, but
> > it snoops into your business and it's s_l_o_w...
>
> > ...in the license Microsoft states that, it will automatically "send
> > information about the software and your operating system to Microsoft.
> > This information includes the versions of the software and operating
> > system software." Later, Microsoft adds that it will also send the
> > company "your Internet protocol address, the type of operating system,
> > browser and name and version of the software you are using, and the
> > language code of the device where you installed the software."
>
> > Of course, Microsoft also says that they won't use this information to
> > identify you or to contact you. I don't buy that myself. I dislike any
> > company that makes snooping on me part of the price of using their
> > programs....
>
> > I found it to be surprisingly slow. A full system scan took two hours
> > and ten minutes. In stark contrast, Avira, my current favorite free
> > Windows anti-virus program, did the same job on the same machine the
> > night before in just over an hour....
>
> > you can easily do better with another freeware program.
> > </Quote>
>
> http://www.itworld.com/security/79241/testing-out-microsoft-security-...

> > One hour, two hours and 10 minutes, whatever...funny thing is, I spend
> > 0 time scanning my Linux machines for viruses, and I've never had any
> > malware on any of them.
>
> I don't know how you can *say* that.
> Surely, what you mean is that you are not *aware* of any malware?
>
> Also, may I remind you that Linux is both a virus and a cancer?
>
> Nono.  Stop this idiocy - do the sensible thing - download Microsoft
> Security Essentials *now*

DFS says he has never had any viruses. Works for him.

ray

Sep 30, 2009, 11:42:54 AM9/30/09

I have to stick to a dry red, for medical reasons. I tend to go with a
Cabernet and a Merlot once in a while.

Sinister Midget

Sep 30, 2009, 1:20:15 PM9/30/09
On 2009-09-29, bbgruff <bbg...@yahoo.co.uk> claimed:

> Nono. Stop this idiocy - do the sensible thing - download Microsoft
> Security Essentials *now*

I did. It's called Linux Mint 7.

--
Experience is what you get when you were expecting something else.

bbgruff

Sep 30, 2009, 3:13:00 PM9/30/09
ray wrote:

Ah - a man after my own heart (forgive the pun, but I generally drink *red*
wine, and only for medicinal purposes of course!)

ray

Sep 30, 2009, 3:50:51 PM9/30/09

As a type 2 diabetic, I'm on a low carb diet - so a dry red will fit.
Also can handle a martini from time to time or a scotch (on rocks).

SomeBloke

Oct 1, 2009, 1:30:54 PM10/1/09

I hope this is a blend you have with rocks and not a single malt. That
would make you a Philistine!

--
I'm always kind, polite and reasonable.... except when I'm not.