Linux and OSS provide quality easy listening

High Plains Thumper

Sep 25, 2008, 12:35:01 PM9/25/08
Linux is good for high fidelity easy listening.

I took a little trip away from home with my laptop, an older Dell
C600, 0.85 GHz Intel Latitude, I stopped by a local department
store and for $25 US + $2 local tax, purchased an Altec Lansing
BAX1121 stereo sound system with 4" woofer. Picked a free MP3
jazz tune download site like

http://www.airmenofnote.com/sounds/TOC.htm

(Airmen of Note is a premium US military band jazz combo.)

Voila! Using Totem Movie Player 2.20.20 in Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy
Gibbon, I had room filling high fidelity volume. Having played
professionally, I could really appreciate the impressive quality
sound. Dell did a good job on this laptop with the sound chip.

No gaps, great filling, good taste, less calories .... :-)

Meanwhile listening, also spent at leisure browsing the 'net,
downloading, updating software without having to reboot. (Linux
only requires a reboot if OS image is modified.)

Thank you again Linux for a job well done.

--
HPT

Hadron

Sep 25, 2008, 12:52:42 PM9/25/08
High Plains Thumper <highplai...@invalid.invalid> writes:

> Linux is good for high fidelity easy listening.
>
> I took a little trip away from home with my laptop, an older Dell
> C600, 0.85 GHz Intel Latitude, I stopped by a local department store
> and for $25 US + $2 local tax, purchased an Altec Lansing BAX1121
> stereo sound system with 4" woofer. Picked a free MP3 jazz tune
> download site like
>
> http://www.airmenofnote.com/sounds/TOC.htm
>
> (Airmen of Note is a premium US military band jazz combo.)
>
> Voila! Using Totem Movie Player 2.20.20 in Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon,
> I had room filling high fidelity volume. Having played
> professionally, I could really appreciate the impressive quality
> sound. Dell did a good job on this laptop with the sound chip.

Dell designed the sound chip?

> No gaps, great filling, good taste, less calories .... :-)

Huh? Its been like that for years on Windows and more recently on
Linux. Hell, I remember you calling me a liar a while back when I said
my Ac97 chip didn't work in Debian Lenny.

> Meanwhile listening, also spent at leisure browsing the 'net,
> downloading, updating software without having to reboot. (Linux only
> requires a reboot if OS image is modified.)
>
> Thank you again Linux for a job well done.

I'm amazed you think its such an achievement.

--
"Opening slide in movie: - Why Linux Sucks (4 Reasons) [no need to further explain, move along ....]"
-- High Plains Thumper <highplai...@invalid.invalid.com> in comp.os.linux.advocacy

Clogwog

Sep 25, 2008, 1:30:37 PM9/25/08
"High Plains Thumper" <highplai...@invalid.invalid> schreef in bericht
> Linux is good for high fidelity easy listening. <bitchslap>

Linux out of the box can't even play mp3!, you fucking moron!
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/why-linux-dont-support-mp3-and-selected-wifi-cards-out-of-the-box.html
--
Hoge (High) vlaktes (Plains) neuker (Thumper) is een vieze achterbakse vage
kuttenlikker zonder hersens!

Chris Ahlstrom

Sep 25, 2008, 1:36:38 PM9/25/08
After takin' a swig o' grog, High Plains Thumper belched out
this bit o' wisdom:

> Linux is good for high fidelity easy listening.
>

> <brevity snippage>

> Voila! Using Totem Movie Player 2.20.20 in Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy
> Gibbon, I had room filling high fidelity volume. Having played
> professionally, I could really appreciate the impressive quality
> sound. Dell did a good job on this laptop with the sound chip.
>
> No gaps, great filling, good taste, less calories .... :-)
>
> Meanwhile listening, also spent at leisure browsing the 'net,
> downloading, updating software without having to reboot. (Linux
> only requires a reboot if OS image is modified.)
>
> Thank you again Linux for a job well done.

Cue Hadrone to come in to sneer at your "Linux cheerleading".

--
Politicians should read science fiction, not westerns and detective stories.
-- Arthur C. Clarke

JEDIDIAH

Sep 25, 2008, 1:40:43 PM9/25/08
On 2008-09-25, Hadron <hadro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> High Plains Thumper <highplai...@invalid.invalid> writes:
>
>> Linux is good for high fidelity easy listening.
>>
>> I took a little trip away from home with my laptop, an older Dell
>> C600, 0.85 GHz Intel Latitude, I stopped by a local department store
>> and for $25 US + $2 local tax, purchased an Altec Lansing BAX1121
>> stereo sound system with 4" woofer. Picked a free MP3 jazz tune
>> download site like
>>
>> http://www.airmenofnote.com/sounds/TOC.htm
>>
>> (Airmen of Note is a premium US military band jazz combo.)
>>
>> Voila! Using Totem Movie Player 2.20.20 in Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon,
>> I had room filling high fidelity volume. Having played
>> professionally, I could really appreciate the impressive quality
>> sound. Dell did a good job on this laptop with the sound chip.
>
> Dell designed the sound chip?
>

>> No gaps, great filling, good taste, less calories .... :-)
>
> Huh? Its been like that for years on Windows and more recently on

No. On Windows you would be hunting for a driver disk. Then if
things weren't just so you would have to help Windows manually sort
out which drivers are which (NT,XP,Vista).

> Linux. Hell, I remember you calling me a liar a while back when I said
> my Ac97 chip didn't work in Debian Lenny.

It doesn't matter if you're a liar or not, you're a flaggelants.

>> Meanwhile listening, also spent at leisure browsing the 'net,
>> downloading, updating software without having to reboot. (Linux only
>> requires a reboot if OS image is modified.)
>>
>> Thank you again Linux for a job well done.
>
> I'm amazed you think its such an achievement.

You would be lying to imply that that's what he's claiming.

--

Metallica is not worth the ruination of someone |||
who has pirated their music / | \

High Plains Thumper

Sep 25, 2008, 2:11:32 PM9/25/08
Hadron wrote:

> High Plains Thumper writes:
>
>> Linux is good for high fidelity easy listening.
>>
>> I took a little trip away from home with my laptop, an older
>> Dell C600, 0.85 GHz Intel Latitude, I stopped by a local
>> department store and for $25 US + $2 local tax, purchased an
>> Altec Lansing BAX1121 stereo sound system with 4" woofer.
>> Picked a free MP3 jazz tune download site like
>>
>> http://www.airmenofnote.com/sounds/TOC.htm
>>
>> (Airmen of Note is a premium US military band jazz combo.)
>>
>> Voila! Using Totem Movie Player 2.20.20 in Ubuntu 7.10
>> Gutsy Gibbon, I had room filling high fidelity volume.
>> Having played professionally, I could really appreciate the
>> impressive quality sound. Dell did a good job on this
>> laptop with the sound chip.
>
> Dell designed the sound chip?

No, I did not say that. Please read.

>> No gaps, great filling, good taste, less calories .... :-)
>>

> Huh? Its been like that for years on Windows and more recently
> on Linux. Hell, I remember you calling me a liar a while back
> when I said my Ac97 chip didn't work in Debian Lenny.

No. Where do you get more recently on Linux? No, don't recall
so Googled, could not find any link, but found quite a few that
questioned your inability to get that AC97 to work whereas others
had.

>> Meanwhile listening, also spent at leisure browsing the
>> 'net, downloading, updating software without having to
>> reboot. (Linux only requires a reboot if OS image is
>> modified.)
>>
>> Thank you again Linux for a job well done.
>
> I'm amazed you think its such an achievement.

Problem with you is no one can say a compliment toward Linux
without you stating some arrogant, foolishly worded derogatory rant.

Your inability to properly participate in a forum is appalling.

--
HPT

Hadron

Sep 25, 2008, 2:15:00 PM9/25/08
High Plains Thumper <highplai...@invalid.invalid> writes:

And many didn't.

>>> Meanwhile listening, also spent at leisure browsing the
>>> 'net, downloading, updating software without having to
>>> reboot. (Linux only requires a reboot if OS image is
>>> modified.)
>>>
>>> Thank you again Linux for a job well done.
>>
>> I'm amazed you think its such an achievement.
>
> Problem with you is no one can say a compliment toward Linux without
> you stating some arrogant, foolishly worded derogatory rant.
>
> Your inability to properly participate in a forum is appalling.

I will ask you again - why do you think its a compliment to Linux to
have working sound?

--
"True. Due to a lack of competition, there essentially have been no
improvements to Microsoft's operating system and office software. It

William Poaster

Sep 25, 2008, 2:20:26 PM9/25/08

Hm...well I'm on a machine with Debian Lenny, it has an AC97 chip...& it's
working! But...but Queeg says it doesn't work, so WTF am I doing wrong?

<Cue Quack screaming his favourite word "liar">

>>> Meanwhile listening, also spent at leisure browsing the
>>> 'net, downloading, updating software without having to
>>> reboot. (Linux only requires a reboot if OS image is
>>> modified.)
>>>
>>> Thank you again Linux for a job well done.
>>
>> I'm amazed you think its such an achievement.
>
> Problem with you is no one can say a compliment toward Linux
> without you stating some arrogant, foolishly worded derogatory rant.
>
> Your inability to properly participate in a forum is appalling.

For Quack, it's par for the course.

--
"If it weren't for Windows, you wouldn't
be posting anything right now."
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004

chrisv

Sep 25, 2008, 2:36:22 PM9/25/08
High Plains Thumper wrote:

> Problem with you is no one can say a compliment toward Linux
> without you stating some arrogant, foolishly worded derogatory rant.
>
> Your inability to properly participate in a forum is appalling.

Quack is a fscking asshole. A true sociopath.

Roy Schestowitz

Sep 25, 2008, 3:01:11 PM9/25/08
____/ Chris Ahlstrom on Thursday 25 September 2008 17:36 : \____

> After takin' a swig o' grog, High Plains Thumper belched out
> this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> Linux is good for high fidelity easy listening.
>>
>> <brevity snippage>
>>
>> Voila! Using Totem Movie Player 2.20.20 in Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy
>> Gibbon, I had room filling high fidelity volume. Having played
>> professionally, I could really appreciate the impressive quality
>> sound. Dell did a good job on this laptop with the sound chip.
>>
>> No gaps, great filling, good taste, less calories .... :-)
>>
>> Meanwhile listening, also spent at leisure browsing the 'net,
>> downloading, updating software without having to reboot. (Linux
>> only requires a reboot if OS image is modified.)
>>
>> Thank you again Linux for a job well done.
>
> Cue Hadrone to come in to sneer at your "Linux cheerleading".

He has lots of time to rant now. They won't be banging him 'round that tunnel
until after Xmas.

--
~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz | X-No-Archive: No. Stand behind what you say
Tasks: 184 total, 2 running, 174 sleeping, 0 stopped, 8 zombie

chrisv

Sep 25, 2008, 3:28:43 PM9/25/08
chrisv wrote:

Oh, and a "true Linux advocate", as well.

chrisv

Sep 25, 2008, 3:31:05 PM9/25/08
Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> Cue Hadrone to come in to sneer at your "Linux cheerleading".

You called it! I immediately thought the same thing, when I saw this
thread: "Gee, I wonder if Quack is going to snot all over this thread, or
just leave it alone."

What a surprise that the POS snotted all over it, eh?

Chris Ahlstrom

Sep 25, 2008, 3:40:44 PM9/25/08
this bit o' wisdom:

> ____/ Chris Ahlstrom on Thursday 25 September 2008 17:36 : \____
>
>> After takin' a swig o' grog, High Plains Thumper belched out
>> this bit o' wisdom:
>>

>>> Thank you again Linux for a job well done.
>>
>> Cue Hadrone to come in to sneer at your "Linux cheerleading".
>
> He has lots of time to rant now. They won't be banging him 'round that tunnel
> until after Xmas.

I was right, wasn't I?

Well, I'd rather see cheer-leading than Hadron's sneer-leading.

--
<Espy> we need to split main into"core" and "wtf-uses-this"

High Plains Thumper

Sep 25, 2008, 3:51:21 PM9/25/08
Rick Mathers AKA Clogwog, Kutloze Scheefgepoepte, Hans, Kadaitcha
Man, Peer Geilzeever, Nicodemus Kwaadenkloot, Gozewienus
Smegmasmuller, Arsene van Tiethuysen, Deodatus Kuttenvanger,
Olivier Anusjager, Quirinus Pukkelpenis, Gradus Kanusmans, Berend
van het Aarshouweel, Driekus van 't Lullenhof, Derk den
Klotsoksel, Hentje Kotskameel, Arie Drollenboer, Wullum
Droogkloot, Peer van der Berigheid, Arend Keuvelklier, Marinus
Pielrukker, Karel Klootendraaier, Dingeman Sneerbakkus, Kobus
Binnenaars, Manus Simpelcont, Jodocus Uytbuicker, Arsene den
Rode-Apenkontjager, Desederius van der Keutelenhof, Querinus van
der Tiethuyzen, Gezinus den Sluitspierbeul, Dingeman Sneerbakkus
and others wrote:
> "High Plains Thumper" schreef...

>> Linux is good for high fidelity easy listening. <bitchslap>
>
> Linux out of the box can't even play mp3!, you fucking moron!
>
> http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/why-linux-dont-support-mp3-and-selected-wifi-cards-out-of-the-box.html
>
> Hoge [SNIP insulting Nederlander vulgarity]

Well, well, well, if it isn't the Down-Under wannabee Dutch with
the language of sewer trash.

Problem is easily settled for those who install Linux on
non-preinstalled systems and one does not need to use the command
line unless seasoned and so desires, such is Linux flexibility.

MP3's can be legally played on Linux. I am using Totem Movie
Player with Gstreamer. Gstreamer plugin Fluendo is properly
licensed:

http://www.fluendo.com/resources/fluendo_mp3.php

[quote]
Fluendo GStreamer MP3 Plug-in

The MP3 audio format is hard to avoid as it is the format
supported by almost all portable music players and many people
have already converted their audio CD collections to the mp3
format. Today the Free Software community along with many others
are trying to migrate the world over to using the open and
royalty-free Ogg Vorbis codec. Yet a transition solution is
needed and this is where the Fluendo GStreamer MP3 plug-in comes in.

The Fluendo MP3 plug-in project is a combination of multiple things.

* It is MIT licensed source code package implementating the
mp3 codec.
* It is a fully licensed binary GStreamer plug-in available
for download.
* It is a redistribution contract allowing distributions to
distribute the binary Fluendo GStreamer MP3 plug-in free of charge.

The MIT licensed source code

Fluendo has developed an mp3 decoder which is fully usable and
works today. We hope that by licensing its source code under the
very permissive MIT license we will get other people in the
community to help out improving it, especially optimizing it for
various platforms. The Fluendo mp3 plug-in's primary means of
optimisation will be using the liboil optimisation library for
optimisations, but others are and can be supported. There is
support for Intel Programming Primitives optimisation included.
The fully licensed binary GStreamer plug-in

Fluendo has paid the license of Fraunhofer and Thomson to be able
to distribute a binary mp3 decoder. This means that people who
want mp3 support for the desktop music players can get a fully
licensed plug-in directly from this site for doing so.
The redistribution contract

Any distribution or Unix maker out there who want to include the
Fluendo MP3 plug-in with their distribution can do so by just
signing a contract with Fluendo to become an official
redistributor. This contract includes no monetary compensation to
Fluendo for getting the right to redistribute the Fluendo MP3
plug-in and no demands of additional purchases from Fluendo. The
main purpose of the contract is to satisfy our upstream
contractual requirements. By signing this contract any
distribution can support mp3 out of the box without any
additional license fee. Take a look at the example contract and
contact us at in...@fluendo.com for details.
[/quote]

Following is a listing of licensed MP3 companies including Fluendo:

http://www.mp3licensing.com/licensees/index.asp

[quote]
All Companies
Licensees - All Companies

* 101 Distribution LLC
* 24/7 Musicshop
* 2K Games

[...]

* Fluendo Inc.
* Fluendo S.L
[/quote]

--
HPT

High Plains Thumper

Sep 25, 2008, 4:09:51 PM9/25/08
Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
> Roy Schestowitz belched:
>> Chris Ahlstrom on Thursday :
>>> High Plains Thumper belched:

>>> Cue Hadrone to come in to sneer at your "Linux
>>> cheerleading".
>>
>> He has lots of time to rant now. They won't be banging him
>> 'round that tunnel until after Xmas.
>
> I was right, wasn't I?
>
> Well, I'd rather see cheer-leading than Hadron's
> sneer-leading.

I think a more appropriate term is "jeer-leading".

--
HPT

JEDIDIAH

Sep 25, 2008, 4:40:11 PM9/25/08

I think I had Debian something-or-other running with an AC97 chipset.
I really don't pay that much attention to sound anymore. For the most part
I haven't needed to do so (under Linux) for a very long time. The consumer
grade stuff seems to be covered well enough.

I can't shake the feeling that Hadron's problems are all either
self-inflicted or imaginary.

--

Truth is irrelevant as long as the predictions are good. |||

William Poaster

Sep 25, 2008, 6:11:27 PM9/25/08

PBCAK

Sinister Midget

Sep 25, 2008, 9:33:34 PM9/25/08
On 2008-09-25, Chris Ahlstrom <lin...@bollsouth.nut> claimed:

> After takin' a swig o' grog, High Plains Thumper belched out
> this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> Linux is good for high fidelity easy listening.
>>
>> <brevity snippage>
>>
>> Voila! Using Totem Movie Player 2.20.20 in Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy
>> Gibbon, I had room filling high fidelity volume. Having played
>> professionally, I could really appreciate the impressive quality
>> sound. Dell did a good job on this laptop with the sound chip.
>>
>> No gaps, great filling, good taste, less calories .... :-)
>>
>> Meanwhile listening, also spent at leisure browsing the 'net,
>> downloading, updating software without having to reboot. (Linux
>> only requires a reboot if OS image is modified.)
>>
>> Thank you again Linux for a job well done.
>
> Cue Hadrone to come in to sneer at your "Linux cheerleading".

And Mushy, two posts later, bitching that nobody advocates linux in
this group. Then Rhonda and DuFuS can followup with agreements.

--
Windows: Pay more, expect less.

Hadron

Sep 25, 2008, 9:53:31 PM9/25/08
Sinister Midget <fardb...@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2008-09-25, Chris Ahlstrom <lin...@bollsouth.nut> claimed:
>> After takin' a swig o' grog, High Plains Thumper belched out
>> this bit o' wisdom:
>>
>>> Linux is good for high fidelity easy listening.
>>>
>>> <brevity snippage>
>>>
>>> Voila! Using Totem Movie Player 2.20.20 in Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy
>>> Gibbon, I had room filling high fidelity volume. Having played
>>> professionally, I could really appreciate the impressive quality
>>> sound. Dell did a good job on this laptop with the sound chip.
>>>
>>> No gaps, great filling, good taste, less calories .... :-)
>>>
>>> Meanwhile listening, also spent at leisure browsing the 'net,
>>> downloading, updating software without having to reboot. (Linux
>>> only requires a reboot if OS image is modified.)
>>>
>>> Thank you again Linux for a job well done.
>>
>> Cue Hadrone to come in to sneer at your "Linux cheerleading".

I find it embarrassing that High Plains Hypocrite thinks getting sound
to work is a "bonus" for Linux. Most people assume its a given.

> And Mushy, two posts later, bitching that nobody advocates linux in
> this group. Then Rhonda and DuFuS can followup with agreements.

Oh the irony ....

--
"Nice to know I live in your head, bitch."
-- Tattoo Vampire <sit...@this.computer> in comp.os.linux.advocacy

Moshe Goldfarb.

Sep 25, 2008, 10:49:26 PM9/25/08
On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 10:35:01 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:

> Linux is good for high fidelity easy listening.
>
> I took a little trip away from home with my laptop, an older Dell
> C600, 0.85 GHz Intel Latitude, I stopped by a local department
> store and for $25 US + $2 local tax, purchased an Altec Lansing
> BAX1121 stereo sound system with 4" woofer. Picked a free MP3
> jazz tune download site like
>
> http://www.airmenofnote.com/sounds/TOC.htm
>
> (Airmen of Note is a premium US military band jazz combo.)

They are an excellent band.

--
Moshe Goldfarb
Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

High Plains Thumper

Sep 25, 2008, 11:16:25 PM9/25/08
Sinister Midget wrote:
> Chris Ahlstrom claimed:
>> High Plains Thumper belched:

>>> Linux is good for high fidelity easy listening.
>>>
>>> <brevity snippage>
>>>
>>> Voila! Using Totem Movie Player 2.20.20 in Ubuntu 7.10
>>> Gutsy Gibbon, I had room filling high fidelity volume.
>>> Having played professionally, I could really appreciate
>>> the impressive quality sound. Dell did a good job on this
>>> laptop with the sound chip.
>>>
>>> No gaps, great filling, good taste, less calories ....
>>> :-)
>>>
>>> Meanwhile listening, also spent at leisure browsing the
>>> 'net, downloading, updating software without having to
>>> reboot. (Linux only requires a reboot if OS image is
>>> modified.)
>>>
>>> Thank you again Linux for a job well done.
>>
>> Cue Hadrone to come in to sneer at your "Linux
>> cheerleading".
>
> And Mushy, two posts later, bitching that nobody advocates
> linux in this group. Then Rhonda and DuFuS can followup with
> agreements.

It is interesting how they work together, Tim Smith, Moshe
(Flatfish), DFS, Hadron, cc, etc. Their ranting and raving are
reminiscent of the Iomega employees astroturfing in the Iomega
forums back in the mid '90s, when Iomega products and service
were having terrible quality problems.

Anything said that may reflect negatively on Microsoft's
products, such as a favourable comparison of Linux nets insults,
firebrands, name or nym sliming.

Get this, I called Moshe an idiot for him calling advocates
"loons", and he gets on his high horse and starts flaming me for
it! Amazing, excusing Moshe, "this is the way he is" kind of
stupid argument. Yet, he says nothing about their insults.

All of seems to follow nicely into the Microsoft Evangelism:

'Use [...] the Internet, etc. to heighten the impression that the
enemy is desperate, demoralized, defeated, [...] associated with
mental deficiency, as in, "he believes in Santa Claus, the Easter
Bunny". Just keep rubbing it in, via the [...] newsgroups, [...]
make the complete failure of the competition's technology part of
the mythology of the computer industry.'

(reference PDF pages 45 & 55 on
http://www.groklaw.net/pdf/Comes-3096.pdf - Comes vs Microsoft
lawsuit)

--
HPT

Moshe Goldfarb.

Sep 25, 2008, 11:44:51 PM9/25/08
On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 03:53:31 +0200, Hadron wrote:

> Sinister Midget <fardb...@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On 2008-09-25, Chris Ahlstrom <lin...@bollsouth.nut> claimed:
>>> After takin' a swig o' grog, High Plains Thumper belched out
>>> this bit o' wisdom:

>>> Cue Hadrone to come in to sneer at your "Linux cheerleading".
>
> I find it embarrassing that High Plains Hypocrite thinks getting sound
> to work is a "bonus" for Linux. Most people assume its a given.

And it can finally play more than one sound at once!
Without having to get into the arcane world of the .asoundrc file.

Sadly, Pulseaudio has come along and is screwing things up.
What's wrong with ALSA?

>> And Mushy, two posts later, bitching that nobody advocates linux in
>> this group. Then Rhonda and DuFuS can followup with agreements.
>
> Oh the irony ....

Yep.

Gregory Shearman

Sep 26, 2008, 5:29:37 AM9/26/08
On 2008-09-25, Clogwog <BWAHA...@BWAHAHAHAAA.LOL> wrote:
> "High Plains Thumper" <highplai...@invalid.invalid> schreef in bericht
>> Linux is good for high fidelity easy listening. <bitchslap>
>
> Linux out of the box can't even play mp3!, you fucking moron!
> http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/why-linux-dont-support-mp3-and-selected-wifi-cards-out-of-the-box.html

Which "box" are you babbling about you fucking dickhead?

My Gentoos all could play mp3s from day1.

My Eeepc could play mp3s from day1.

You don't know what the fuck is going on..

Piss off back from whence you came.

--
Regards,

Gregory.
Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

Hadron

Sep 26, 2008, 6:21:37 AM9/26/08
"Moshe Goldfarb." <brick....@gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 03:53:31 +0200, Hadron wrote:
>
>> Sinister Midget <fardb...@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> On 2008-09-25, Chris Ahlstrom <lin...@bollsouth.nut> claimed:

>> I find it embarrassing that High Plains Hypocrite thinks getting sound
>> to work is a "bonus" for Linux. Most people assume its a given.
>
> And it can finally play more than one sound at once!
> Without having to get into the arcane world of the .asoundrc file.
>
> Sadly, Pulseaudio has come along and is screwing things up.
> What's wrong with ALSA?

Err, it doesn't "just work"? I couldn't get multiple sound sources
working properly until I tried pulse. Especially with system sounds
which require esd too (gnome).

It still doesnt work occasionally, but to be honest it works good enough
most of the time. Realplayer blocks sound from flash video and other
annoyances.

Still, at least we know why High Plains Hypocrite is so shocked that
sound "just worked" on his laptop.

--
"Give it up because going on the offensive, and you are quite offensive, is
not going to cover up your trolling and nym shifting blunders no matter now

Moshe Goldfarb.

Sep 26, 2008, 12:34:25 PM9/26/08

Pulse kills my system.
First thing I do on any system is turn off system sounds because the last
thing I need is something kicking in when I'm recording.
Force of habit I guess.

I'm using Alsa, I think?
Funny, that's how bad sound is under Linux.
I'm not even sure *what* I am using.
I've checked alsa in every program I use, at least ones that have a choice.
I've permentaly killed Pulse and things work fine.
I can play a video with Totem and audio with Rhythmbox and all is well.

> It still doesnt work occasionally, but to be honest it works good enough
> most of the time. Realplayer blocks sound from flash video and other
> annoyances.

RealPlayer is one of those programs I loathe.
Even under Windows.
Java and Adobe are other ones I can't stand.

> Still, at least we know why High Plains Hypocrite is so shocked that
> sound "just worked" on his laptop.

That's because most times it doesn't work correctly.
Look at all the sound related problems people have that are posted in the
groups.
It has to be either the #1 or #2 topic with video being the other one.

Here is a Pulse how to BTW:

I didn't have to go that drastic, just killing Pulse fixed my audio
stuttering problems etc.

Clogwog

Sep 26, 2008, 3:37:41 PM9/26/08
"Gregory Shearman" <ZekeG...@netscape.net> schreef in bericht

> On 2008-09-25, Clogwog <BWAHA...@BWAHAHAHAAA.LOL> wrote:
>> "High Plains Thumper" <highplai...@invalid.invalid> schreef in
>> bericht
>>> Linux is good for high fidelity easy listening. <bitchslap>
>>
>> Linux out of the box can't even play mp3!, you fucking moron!
>> http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/why-linux-dont-support-mp3-and-selected-wifi-cards-out-of-the-box.html
>

> Which "box" are you babbling about you fucking dickhead?
>
> My Gentoos all could play mp3s from day1.

Illegal copyright violation, you stupid tit!

> My Eeepc could play mp3s from day1.

Illegal copyright violation, you stupid tit!

> You don't know what the fuck is going on..

Following packages/drivers/encoder are not includes in most distros:
=> Nvidia /ATI graphics card
=> Vmware player kernel modules
=> Wifi chipsets
=> MP3 Support
=> Real Media and Player
=> CSS encrypted DVDs (DVD Playback)
=> Cryptography
=> SUN JAVA
=> Adobe Flash Player etc

Clogwog

Sep 26, 2008, 3:41:48 PM9/26/08

> Rick Mathers AKA Clogwog, Kutloze Scheefgepoepte, Hans, Kadaitcha Man,
> Peer Geilzeever, Nicodemus Kwaadenkloot, Gozewienus Smegmasmuller, Arsene
> van Tiethuysen, Deodatus Kuttenvanger, Olivier Anusjager, Quirinus
> Pukkelpenis, Gradus Kanusmans, Berend van het Aarshouweel, Driekus van 't
> Lullenhof, Derk den Klotsoksel, Hentje Kotskameel, Arie Drollenboer,
> Wullum Droogkloot, Peer van der Berigheid, Arend Keuvelklier, Marinus
> Pielrukker, Karel Klootendraaier, Dingeman Sneerbakkus, Kobus Binnenaars,
> Manus Simpelcont, Jodocus Uytbuicker, Arsene den Rode-Apenkontjager,
> Desederius van der Keutelenhof, Querinus van der Tiethuyzen, Gezinus den
> Sluitspierbeul, Dingeman Sneerbakkus and others wrote:
>> "High Plains Thumper" schreef...

<STALK>
--
Known HPT nyms are:
High Plains Thumper, HPT, Rafael, George Hostler, Wendy Toiletwater, Roberto
Chavez, Robin T Cox, Phil Da Lick, Hans, chrisv, *Clogwog* ( *note* the
nym-thief couldn't even leave poor Clogwog alone), cloggiewoggie, Daniel
Hedgehogfucker, Terry Porter, Adam Lunkwipebeef, Peter Clodface, Joe
Thimblebumble, Archie Clotcheese, George Cornknock, Amy Airfinger, Bruce
Anklemeat, John Airlunk, Kevin nkleface, Ruby Anklenitfinger, Jeff
Faceankle, Jay Doltheadtwerp, Chris Headgoof, Aaron Muckcorn, Cory
Loafknock, Carson Cheesecheese, Cole Bumblebum, Dale Loaflump, Don Bumskull,
Gregg Twitgoofair, Ian Headdip, Jake Twerploafwipe, Jeff Doofdip, Josh
Fingerloaf, Larry Beeftwittwit, Leigh Munchwad, Lloyd Headhead, Liam
Goofknockloaf, Neil Corndoof, Rodney Skullwimp, Richard Bumbleknock, Bob
Nitwipe, Rob Twerpdork, Roy Wadthimble, Ross Doofgoof, Tom Twerpskull,
Trevor Clownknocker, Warren Snarknumb, Taylor Bumpair, Wayne Munchclown,
Wesley Clodclotbum, Zach Headface, Will Airbump, Nigel Foothead, Ricky
Skullgoofnit, Seth Meatankle, Tim Meatfumble, Dork Meatlunk, Shaun
Bumblenumb, Toby Ankleknock, Abbie Diaz, achmed.jones, Aftab Singh, Allen
Cusimano, Allie Perkins, Allison Juergans, allison_hunt1969, Alicia Hunt,
Ana Thema, andyschipowitz,Anna Banger, anonymous,Ā arkady.duntov, Archie,
Archie Moss Bunker, Archie Watermann, Attila, Baba Booey, Babcock Johnson,
babcock.latreen, Babu Singh,Ā ball.cock.the.plumber, banjo.boy69, Bill
Thomson, Billy , bill.gates.loves.me, BingoBongo, bison, Bjarne Jensen,
bjornstad8800, BklynBoy, bones4jones, bonobo magilla, Boyce Mabri, BSEE,
Bunsen Burner,Buster, c.baumstumpff, CBFalconer, Charles LeGrand, Charlie,
Choppers McGee, Chris Thomas, Christine Abernathy, Claire Lynn, Clippy,
Clock King,Ā collie4roy, Collie Entragion, Colon Singh, common cold,
compton.plaines_kid, Connie Hines, Corrie, corry.lebeu, Corrie Titlaand,
Cory Dyvik, Curtis Wilson, cymon.says, Damian O'Leary, Dana Bush, Danny
Kwong, dbx_boy, Deadpenguin, Debbie,Ā detective48, Devon Dawson,
dismoqualifetch, Donn Carlsbad, donna.bunting_tv, dont.pullout,
doris.gets.her.oates, Doug Richardson, Dragon.Boy, Dr.Long John Jones,
dy.sector, echo.valley_26809, Elliot Zimmermann, Elwin Winters, Emmanuel
Arias, Fawn Lebowitz,flatfish+++, foamy, frank boson, Franz Klammer, Fred
Simmons, gabriele howorth, Gary Stewart, GayClod, George Cotton, George
Littlefield, Gilbert, Gilbert Goiter, Gilbert Hochaim, gilligan,Ā
goldfarb44, gooseborg, Greg Finnigan, Greg Laplante, Hans Kimm, Hans
Tomlinson, Harry Hilton, Harvey Fogel, Heather, Heather69, Heather Trax,
Heddy Seafield, Heidi van Wong, ,helmut.ginter, hepcat, high_pain_humper,
Hugh Himless, hymen.the.jew, llanalott, Ishmeal Hafizi, itchy balls, Ivan
Mctavish, IvanaB, Jason, jeff.smiley, Jeff Szarka, jjwassermann, Joe
Josephson, John, John King, John Shelton, John Smith,Ā johnnyscotrun,
jolt.n.pizza, Jorge Jorgensen, jorge_shillingford, Jose Lopez, juke_joint,
kaptain kaput, Karel Olish, karen.bullfinch, Karen Hill, Karla Snodgress,
kathy_krantz, Kaylie Solomon, Kendra, Kenneth Downs, Kenny Dugan, Kent
Dorfman, Ken Johnson, Kim Coinop,Kinglen Wang, Kristen,kumba killington,
Kurt Janker, Kyle Cadet, Ā lafferty6, L Didio, Laura Shillingford, Le
Farter, Le Yammy, Leaking Onion,

<snipped 1200 nyms>

Leo Diaz, Les Cramer, Les Turner, Les Walton, Leslie Bassman, Lilly, Lindy,
linux.curious, Linux Exposer,Ā linux.freak.detector, Lisa Shavas, Lisa
Cottmann, Lois Hunt, Long,long_tong_ling, Ā luisortizhome, Lukumi Babalu
Aye, Luna Lane, Major Mynor, Manny, mark.kent.is.owned, Mario Fermin,
McSwain, mista twista, Mogumbo,Moses, Mooshoo Bong Singh, mr.macfeelme, Ā
mycarisfast, narrows_whitefish, nate_mcspook, Navid Shakibapour,Ā
oh.bama.da.rack, okto_pussy, opensource.sucks, organ.creep, OSS KDE User,
Paddy McCrockett, Paul Wannamaker, Paris Marriot, Patricia, Patrick Landrum,
Patty LeGrange, patty pippins, Patty Poppins, percy samson, Peter Gluckman,
Peter Kohlmann, peter.traphagen, Phil, Phillip Cornwall, phoung, phoung
quoak, pickle_pete, Piss Clam, Polly Ester, Poopy Pants McGee,Ā pus.boy99,Ā
pyles69, Quimby, Quinton Magee, Quizno Backer, Ray Schitzmepantz, Reporter,
Rich, Richard P.Johnson, Richie, Richie O'Toole, Richie Spano,Ā
right.wanger, Robert Strunk, rodolfo.garcia44, rothstein_ivan,
Roy_Pestowitz, Roy.Schakemetitz, Roy.Schavedmenutz, Roy.Schavesmewankz,Ā
roy.shysterwitz, Roy.Schitzowitz, roys.testicles, roy.the.spam.king, RP
Modell, ryebra, Sally Vadi, Sammy, Sammy Whalen, Saul Goldblatt,
schavemetitz, Schestertitz, schestowizzle, schestowitz, schitzmepantz,
schisterwitz, Schlomo Smykowski, Sharon Cackle, Sharon Hubbasland, Sean,
Sean Fitzhenry, Sean Macpherson, Sewer Rat, sewer_clown, Shelly K., Sherlock
Holmes, Schlomo Rabinowitz, Simon, Simon Lewis, simply.lisa, Singer, sista
sledgehammer, slacker.mcspritze, Spammy_Davis, spanny_davis, Stefan
Karstensen, Stephan Simonsen, Stephanie, Stephanie Mannerz, Stephen, Stephen
Olsen, Stephen Townshend, stomach.pump, SuckyB, Sue, sue quinterra,
sully1999, SunnyB, Susan, Susan Bladder, Susan Lapinski, Susan Wong, Suzi
Wong, suzie.linux, Suzie Wong, Swampee,Āswing.cock, sylvano12tegriorgriach,
Ted Bennington, Terri Sorensen, The Beaver, Thorsten, Thorsten Thigpen,
Timmy Luncford , Toby Rastus, Roosovelt III, toe.mein, Tomas Bicsak,
tomas.bozak, Tomas Dunton, Tomas Lucatorto, Tori, Tori Wassermann, Torre
Stanslaand, Trace Dennison, Tracee,Traci, traci.alicock, traci.manicotti,
traci.pusey, Traci Spritzendrainer, trailerpark, Trina Swallows, Trolly,
Trudi Simpkins, Tryxie Lustern, Āudayshankar29, Uday Shankar, victimizedb,
victimizedbyms, Vince Fontain, Vladimir Yepifano, Walter Bubniak, Wang
Mycock, Wasser, Waterskidoo, wendy, Wendy Duzz, Whizzer, Wilbur J, willy
watkins jr, Willy Wong, wiltons_pypes, Winnie Septos, wizard.shot, wm_walsh,
Wobbles, wylbur.horseman, Yanick Schmuley and zyklon_C. Keith Windsor AKA
LENNY, 1st Lt Jean Poole, Adam Baum, Barb Dwyer, Capt. James Pike, Capt.
Morgan, Captain Commando, Colonel Ichabod Conk, Cpl. Kronk, Dr Gang Green,
Dr.Disco, Dr. Fafoofnik, Dr. Feelgood, Dr. GroundAxe, Dr. Hungwell, Dr.
Hurt, Dr. Livingston, Dr. McGillicudy, Dr. Pain, Dr. Seymour Butts,
Dr.Shlongwell, Dr. Shlongwell (aka your Boss), Dr. Smooth, Dr. Zhivago,
Geppetto Olivio, Gordon Glover, Lintard Luser, Lt. Stardust, nym-thief,
imposter of Mindy Cohen, Mr. Doug Hoel, Mr. X, Ms. Polly Ester, Ofc. Michael
Clayton, Randy Oaks, Sgt. Wannacker, SgtMajor Gansevoort, Sophie McDowell,
Simon Templar, Sue Romer, Sir Michael Clayton, Warren Piece and Zumwalt
Humphry, Aaron Lumppuff, Adam Fumblebumblelunk, Adrian Clownbeef, Alan
Headface, Alejandro Lumphead, Alex Clownclod, Barry Headcorn, Anthony
Puffdolt, Franz-Bernhard Faust, Allen Numbclod, Andrew Dumbsneezeface, Andy
Pindork, Anthony Snarkclown, Art Wimpbump, Arthur Cheesedumb, Barry
Bumpball, Bart Anklefumble, Ben Pinpuff, Benjamin Sneezepin, Bill
Sneezedoof, Bobby Dorkface, Brad Fingerlunk, Bradley Twitknockernit, Brendan
Airwad, Brett Dorkloafair, Brian Wipeskulldoof, Bruce Meattwit, Bryan
Clowntwerp, Carlos Snarklump, Chad Wadcheese, Charles Beefknockerknocker,
Chris Dipknuckle, Christopher Clodknuckle, Chuck Knockdip, Clay Knockerface,
Eric Puffschnookie, Edward Booblegoof, Duane Moopiethimble, Doug
Wadschnookum, Don Muckmoopsie, Derek Beefschmoopie, Denny Wadbooble, Dennis
Nookumhead, Dean Bumppoof, David Skullcorn, Dave Sneezeloafnit, Darren
Knuckledoof, Dan Munchnitknocker, Craig Headair, Corey Grumblehead, Dr.
Zoltan Ovary, Zoda Viola Klontz Gazola, Zezozose Zadfack, Verbal Funderburk,
Thusnelda Neusbickle, Clapp Thwing, Tetley Ironsides, Pigg Strangeways,
Primrose Goo, Charles Adolphe Faux-Pas Bidet, Ave Maria Klinkenberg,
Humperdink Fangboner, Miss Minnie Tramp, Coffin Thing, Eugene Shufflebottom,
Adolf Oliver Busch, Al Bumin, Al Kaholic, Al Lickertwat, Allota Dick, Alotta
Fagina , Alpha Kenny Juan, Amanda Hugenkiss, Anita Dick, Anita Potty, Anie
Body, Annie Recksun, April Pealot, Barry Schmelly, Bea Sting, Bell E. Flopp,
Ben Dover, Ben Gay, Pete Anas, Bertha D. Blues, Betty Kant, Bill Board, Bill
Ding, Boyd Schidtt, Breeda Fairey, Candi Dish, Caress Masacc, Ceasar Titts,
Chico Rhett, Chris P. Cream, Chuck Wipple, Cole Kutz, Comeoni Wanalaya,
Corey Dunnett, Craven Moorhead
Aaron C. Reskew

<snipped another 1200 nyms>

Aimee Pinpin, Aleksandra Facefaceclot, Alice Airthimble, Alicia Lunkair,
Frank Skullsnark, Art Pinbump, Kim Wimpdolt, Vicky Fingerloafwad, Martha
Bumpankle, Kara Dumbdumb, Evan Clodknocker, Julia Snuggybeef, Sylvia
Facesnookie, Chris Bonebunker, Courtney Lumppoof, Beatrice Knockersweetie,
Danielle Grumblemoofie, Christopher Thimblelovey, Kerry Moopiedumb, Clay
Kissieknocker, Marisa Smooshtwerp, Deanne Wipehoney, Elizabeth Doodleface,
Jason Cuddlyclown, Tatiana Fingernookum, Anne Marie Cuddlyhead, Angela
Wuggyclot, Caroline Knockersmoosh, Janice Bumwoogy, Justine Fingerwoogle,
Anthony Twithoney, Allison Airsnoogle, Tracy Footcutie, Ashley Dumbwoogy,
Sandra Schnoogleair, Eileen Moopsiehead,Charles Wimpcutie, Natalie
Facesnoogle, Wendy Bunkermunch, Carrie Muckbooble, Elena Nitsnoogle, Jamie
Moogliemuck, Laurie Wuddlylunk, Brendan Snookumair, Christina Woogynit,
Cara Knocknookum, Helen Snoogyankle, David Wimpbooble, Darren Wadbaby, Carol
Loveypuff, Beth Facegooble, Christine Anklesnookie, Jane Thimblecuddle, Brad
Beefkissie, Andy Snarkschnoogle, Mary Wuddledumb, Carolyn Honeybeef,
Christen Goofcuddle, Sara Grumblesnuggy, Bradley Pookiefumble, Alyssa
Poofhead, Barbara Wuddlywimp, Bobby Grumblesmoosh, Sheri Footgooble, Denny
Knucklelovey, Nicole Wuddlyfinger, Janet Wuggypuff, Derek Meatsnuggy,
Chrissy Goofwunny, Cynthia Meatbooble, Andrew Nookumcorn, Julie Poofiedumb,
Nina Beefwuddly, Terri Doofmoopie, Amy Smoochieloaf, Aaron Lumpwoogy, Bryan
Doofwuddle, Brett Bunkerdip, Stephanie Wadcuddly, Keith Meatdoodle, Perry
Bunkerclot, Randy Doltwuggy, Dean Wuddleclot, Jeffrey Arsschnookie, Don
Ballover, Patrick Twitcutie, Gordon Cuddlybumble, Shaun Booblecorn, Denny
Honeyknuckle, Gene Dumbmooglie, Kevin Moofiedolt, Kristen Bumpsmoochie, Jay
Schmoopiewad, George Wimpwoogy, Larry Wunnyfoot, Shirley Clodwookie, Sharon
Snoogleloaf, Rod Clownsnookum, Paul Cheesecutie, Dorothy Wimpdip, Marina
Bonedip, Katrina Pinbeef, Veronica Wimpdolt, Jay Bumpface, Ken Lunkcheese,
Suzanne Knockerlunk, Andrea Fingerfinger, Angel Knockerankle, Betty
Thimbleface, Dana Thimbleloafmunch, Caren Lumpwimp, Charlotte Headmunch,
Alex Skullmuck, James Airmeatankle, Jeff Lunkmuck, Bill Wipefumblehead,
Monica Dumblump, Crystal Thimblebumble, Vivian Munchmooglie, Joyce
Wunnymuck, Kelly Gooblewimp, Lauren Wuddlyknock, Dennis Bumpnookum,
Alejandro Cheesemeat, Juliana Dumbcheese, Giulietta Knockerknock, Leah
Headbone, Jonathan Dipwipe, Chuck Puffair, Tara Munchwad, Renee Airlunk,
Jack Clownwad, Allen Foottwerp, Ann Lunkcorncorn, Benjamin Cheesebum, Dave
Twitpuff, Tamara Thimbledip, Laura Fingermuck, Fred Balldolt, Rebecca
Bumplump, Nancy Bumpnit, Darren Dipface, Joanna Snarkbumble, Anna
Grumbledip, Melissa Munchdumb, Maria Loafnumb, Chad Twerptwit, Gary
Cornsneeze, Eugene Clownthimble, Ben Clodclod, Carlos Anklethimble, Kristina
Boneknuckle, Kathleen Headhead, Michelle Headclod, Daniel Wadfaceknocker

<and the list goes on and on>

LusoTec

Sep 26, 2008, 5:05:12 PM9/26/08
Clogwog wrote:
> "Gregory Shearman" <ZekeG...@netscape.net> schreef in bericht
>> Which "box" are you babbling about you fucking dickhead?
>>
>> My Gentoos all could play mp3s from day1.
>
> Illegal copyright violation, you stupid tit!

Patent violation maybe (depends on country) but not copyright violation.

>> My Eeepc could play mp3s from day1.
>
> Illegal copyright violation, you stupid tit!

Patent violation maybe (depends on country) but not copyright violation.

>> You don't know what the fuck is going on..
>
> Following packages/drivers/encoder are not includes in most distros:
> => Nvidia /ATI graphics card

Packages available in most distros.

> => Vmware player kernel modules

Download package from vmware site and install using package manager. Some
repositories may have packages that automate it for you.

> => Wifi chipsets

Many Wifi chipsets are supported by Linux and several others can be easily
installed from windows drivers.

> => MP3 Support

Packages available in most distros. In some countries patent licenses are
required.

> => Real Media and Player

Download package from real site and install using package manager. Some
repositories may have packages that automate it for you.

> => CSS encrypted DVDs (DVD Playback)

Packages available in most distros. In some countries having/using it is
illegal.

> => Cryptography

Packages available in most distros (e.g. openssl, gnupg, encfs, openssh). In
some countries having/using it is illegal.

> => SUN JAVA

Packages available in most distros.

> => Adobe Flash Player etc

Packages available in most distros.

Commercial, proprietary, non free programs can have packages prepared for
them in repositories that don't contain the program it self but
automatically downloads and installs it (google earth comes to mind).

Regards.

High Plains Thumper

Sep 26, 2008, 6:35:05 PM9/26/08
Clogwog wrote:
> "High Plains Thumper" schreef...
>> Rick Mathers AKA Clogwog, Kutloze Scheefgepoepte, Hans,
>> Kadaitcha Man, Peer Geilzeever, Nicodemus Kwaadenkloot,
>> Gozewienus Smegmasmuller, Arsene van Tiethuysen, Deodatus
>> Kuttenvanger, Olivier Anusjager, Quirinus Pukkelpenis,
>> Gradus Kanusmans, Berend van het Aarshouweel, Driekus van 't
>> Lullenhof, Derk den Klotsoksel, Hentje Kotskameel, Arie
>> Drollenboer, Wullum Droogkloot, Peer van der Berigheid,
>> Arend Keuvelklier, Marinus Pielrukker, Karel Klootendraaier,
>> Dingeman Sneerbakkus, Kobus Binnenaars, Manus Simpelcont,
>> Jodocus Uytbuicker, Arsene den Rode-Apenkontjager,
>> Desederius van der Keutelenhof, Querinus van der Tiethuyzen,
>> Gezinus den Sluitspierbeul, Dingeman Sneerbakkus and others
>> wrote:
>>> "High Plains Thumper" schreef...

>>> <bitchslap>
>>>
>>> Linux out of the box can't even play mp3!, you fucking
>>> moron!
>>>
>>> http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/why-linux-dont-support-mp3-and-selected-
wifi-cards-out-of-the-box.html

>>> Hoge [SNIP insulting Nederlander vulgarity]
>>
>> Well, well, well, if it isn't the Down-Under wannabee Dutch
>> with the language of sewer trash.
>>
>> Problem is easily settled for those who install Linux on
>> non-preinstalled systems and one does not need to use the
>> command line unless seasoned and so desires, such is Linux
>> flexibility.
>>
>> MP3's can be legally played on Linux. I am using Totem
>> Movie Player with Gstreamer. Gstreamer plugin Fluendo is
>> properly licensed:
>>
>> http://www.fluendo.com/resources/fluendo_mp3.php
>>
>> [quote] Fluendo GStreamer MP3 Plug-in [snip]

>> The Fluendo MP3 plug-in project is a combination of multiple
>> things.
>>
>> * It is MIT licensed source code package implementating the
>> mp3 codec.
>> * It is a fully licensed binary GStreamer plug-in available
>> for download.
>> * It is a redistribution contract allowing distributions to
>> distribute the binary Fluendo GStreamer MP3 plug-in free of
>> charge. [snip]

>> Following is a listing of licensed MP3 companies including
>> Fluendo:
>>
>> http://www.mp3licensing.com/licensees/index.asp
>>
>> [quote] All Companies Licensees - All Companies
>>
>> * 101 Distribution LLC
>> * 24/7 Musicshop
>> * 2K Games [...]
>> * Fluendo Inc.
>> * Fluendo S.L [/quote]
>
> <STALK>
>
> Known HPT nyms are:
> High Plains Thumper, [snip long list of mostly rubbish]

Give it up Rick, the more you post, the more stupid you look.

--
HPT

Chris Ahlstrom

Sep 26, 2008, 8:01:38 PM9/26/08
After takin' a swig o' grog, LusoTec belched out
this bit o' wisdom:

> Clogwog wrote:
>
>>> My Eeepc could play mp3s from day1.
>>
>> Illegal copyright violation, you stupid tit!
>
> Patent violation maybe (depends on country) but not copyright violation.

Maybe not even patent violations, if Asus is paying royalties.

>>> You don't know what the fuck is going on..

Based on the below, it is the Clogster who doesn't WTF is up.

--
lp1 on fire
(One of the more obfuscated kernel messages)

Homer

Sep 26, 2008, 9:25:12 PM9/26/08
Verily I say unto thee, that High Plains Thumper spake thusly:

> http://www.airmenofnote.com/sounds/TOC.htm
>
> (Airmen of Note is a premium US military band jazz combo.)
>

> Voila! Using Totem Movie Player 2.20.20

Or even bash:

#!/bin/bash

trap "exit" SIGINT

for track in \
$(for album in \
$(elinks -dump http://www.airmenofnote.com/sounds/TOC.htm | \
grep "/sounds/" | cut -d'.' -f2-); do elinks -dump $album | \
grep \.mp3 | cut -d'.' -f2-; done); do mplayer $track; done

exit

> Thank you again Linux for a job well done.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
`----

02:24:50 up 41 days, 23:37, 5 users, load average: 0.10, 0.07, 0.04

High Plains Thumper

Sep 26, 2008, 10:41:57 PM9/26/08
Homer wrote:
> High Plains Thumper spake thusly:
>
>> http://www.airmenofnote.com/sounds/TOC.htm
>>
>> (Airmen of Note is a premium US military band jazz combo.)
>>
>> Voila! Using Totem Movie Player 2.20.20
>
> Or even bash:
>
> #!/bin/bash
>
> trap "exit" SIGINT
>
> for track in \
> $(for album in \
> $(elinks -dump http://www.airmenofnote.com/sounds/TOC.htm | \
> grep "/sounds/" | cut -d'.' -f2-); do elinks -dump $album | \
> grep \.mp3 | cut -d'.' -f2-; done); do mplayer $track; done
>
> exit

Sweet ..... :-)

Gregory Shearman

Sep 27, 2008, 2:40:27 AM9/27/08
On 2008-09-26, Clogwog <BWAHA...@BWAHAHAHAAA.LOL> wrote:
> "Gregory Shearman" <ZekeG...@netscape.net> schreef in bericht
>> On 2008-09-25, Clogwog <BWAHA...@BWAHAHAHAAA.LOL> wrote:
>>> "High Plains Thumper" <highplai...@invalid.invalid> schreef in
>>> bericht
>>>
>>> Linux out of the box can't even play mp3!, you fucking moron!
>>> http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/why-linux-dont-support-mp3-and-selected-wifi-cards-out-of-the-box.html
>>

>> Which "box" are you babbling about you fucking dickhead?
>>
>> My Gentoos all could play mp3s from day1.
>
> Illegal copyright violation, you stupid tit!

Fuck off dickhead, you don't know what the fuck is going on.

It's illegal to ENCODE mp3s. Perfectly legal to LISTEN to them.

>> You don't know what the fuck is going on..
>
> Following packages/drivers/encoder are not includes in most distros:
>=> Nvidia /ATI graphics card
>=> Vmware player kernel modules
>=> Wifi chipsets
>=> MP3 Support
>=> Real Media and Player
>=> CSS encrypted DVDs (DVD Playback)
>=> Cryptography
>=> SUN JAVA
>=> Adobe Flash Player etc

All included with Gentoo you dishonest prick.

Fuck off back into your filthy hole.

chrisv

Sep 27, 2008, 8:21:54 AM9/27/08
Gregory Shearman wrote:

> troll:

>> Following packages/drivers/encoder are not includes in most distros:
>>=> Nvidia /ATI graphics card
>>=> Vmware player kernel modules
>>=> Wifi chipsets
>>=> MP3 Support
>>=> Real Media and Player
>>=> CSS encrypted DVDs (DVD Playback)
>>=> Cryptography
>>=> SUN JAVA
>>=> Adobe Flash Player etc
>
> All included with Gentoo you dishonest prick.

And all obtained VERY quickly, easily, and freely after install, if they
are not already there.

> Fuck off back into your filthy hole.

Would it be educational to list all the things "not included" with
Windwoes?

Not really - we all know you can't do jack with Windwoes until you install
all the drivers and apps that are needed to get anything done.

What a ridiculous "point"!

Chris Ahlstrom

Sep 27, 2008, 9:06:51 AM9/27/08
After takin' a swig o' grog, Gregory Shearman belched out
this bit o' wisdom:

> It's illegal to ENCODE mp3s. Perfectly legal to LISTEN to them.

Oh dear!

Guess that makes my compressed collection of my entire music CD stock
illegal then!

Oh dear! I hope those poor dears from jack (the command-line ripper) and
streamripper don't get tossed into jail.

And this nest of criminals!

http://www.mp3-converter.com/linux/

--
You mentioned your name as if I should recognize it, but beyond the
obvious facts that you are a bachelor, a solicitor, a freemason, and

Clogwog

Sep 27, 2008, 10:09:48 AM9/27/08

> Clogwog wrote:
>> "High Plains Thumper" schreef...
>>> Rick Mathers AKA Clogwog, Kutloze Scheefgepoepte, Hans, Kadaitcha Man,
>>> Peer Geilzeever, Nicodemus Kwaadenkloot, Gozewienus Smegmasmuller,
>>> Arsene van Tiethuysen, Deodatus Kuttenvanger, Olivier Anusjager,
>>> Quirinus Pukkelpenis, Gradus Kanusmans, Berend van het Aarshouweel,
>>> Driekus van 't
>>> Lullenhof, Derk den Klotsoksel, Hentje Kotskameel, Arie Drollenboer,
>>> Wullum Droogkloot, Peer van der Berigheid, Arend Keuvelklier, Marinus
>>> Pielrukker, Karel Klootendraaier,
>>> Dingeman Sneerbakkus, Kobus Binnenaars, Manus Simpelcont, Jodocus
>>> Uytbuicker, Arsene den Rode-Apenkontjager, Desederius van der
>>> Keutelenhof, Querinus van der Tiethuyzen,
>>> Gezinus den Sluitspierbeul, Dingeman Sneerbakkus and others

>>> Well, well, well, if it isn't the Down-Under wannabee Dutch with the
>>> language of sewer trash.
>>>
>>> Problem is easily settled for those who install Linux on
>>> non-preinstalled systems and one does not need to use the command line
>>> unless seasoned and so desires, such is Linux flexibility.
>>>
>>> MP3's can be legally played on Linux. I am using Totem Movie Player
>>> with Gstreamer. Gstreamer plugin Fluendo is properly licensed:
>>>
>>> http://www.fluendo.com/resources/fluendo_mp3.php
>>>
>>> [quote] Fluendo GStreamer MP3 Plug-in [snip]

>>> The Fluendo MP3 plug-in project is a combination of multiple
>>> things.
>>>
>>> * It is MIT licensed source code package implementating the mp3 codec.
>>> * It is a fully licensed binary GStreamer plug-in available for
>>> download.
>>> * It is a redistribution contract allowing distributions to distribute
>>> the binary Fluendo GStreamer MP3 plug-in free of charge. [snip]

>>> Following is a listing of licensed MP3 companies including Fluendo:
>>>
>>> http://www.mp3licensing.com/licensees/index.asp
>>>
>>> [quote] All Companies Licensees - All Companies
>>>
>>> * 101 Distribution LLC
>>> * 24/7 Musicshop
>>> [...]
>>> * Fluendo Inc.
>>> * Fluendo S.L [/quote]
>>
>> <STALK>
>>
>> Known HPT nyms are: High Plains Thumper, [snip long list of
>> mostly plagiarised copy-n-paste rubbish]

> Give it up Rick, the more you post, the more stupid you look.

:-? "Rick"? who the fuck is "Rick"?
What kind of drugs are you on, George?
My real name has been mentioned twice on usenet, the past month.
I *order* you to figure that out George!
Your such an incompetent twit, George!
Fetch boy, fetch!
--
High (Hoge) Plains (Vlaktes) Thumper (Neuker) aka George Hostler is de
sufkuttige domme doos van Marti!

High Plains Thumper

Sep 27, 2008, 12:11:33 PM9/27/08
Clogwog AKA Rick Mather, Kutloze Scheefgepoepte, Hans, Kadaitcha Man,
Peer Geilzeever, Nicodemus Kwaadenkloot, Gozewienus Smegmasmuller, Arsene
van Tiethuysen, Deodatus Kuttenvanger, Olivier Anusjager, Quirinus
Pukkelpenis, Gradus Kanusmans, Berend van het Aarshouweel, Driekus van 't
Lullenhof, Derk den Klotsoksel, Hentje Kotskameel, Arie Drollenboer,
Wullum Droogkloot, Peer van der Berigheid, Arend Keuvelklier, Marinus
Pielrukker, Karel Klootendraaier, Dingeman Sneerbakkus, Kobus Binnenaars,
Manus Simpelcont, Jodocus Uytbuicker, Arsene den Rode-Apenkontjager,
Desederius van der Keutelenhof, Querinus van der Tiethuyzen, Gezinus den
Sluitspierbeul, Dingeman Sneerbakkus and others wrote:
> "High Plains Thumper" schreef...
>> Clogwog wrote:
>>> "High Plains Thumper" schreef...

>>> <STALK>
>>>
>>> Known HPT nyms are: High Plains Thumper, [snip long list of mostly
>>> plagiarised copy-n-paste rubbish]
>>
>> Give it up Rick, the more you post, the more stupid you look.
>
> :-? "Rick"? who the fuck is "Rick"? What [snip troll rant insults]

Still crossposting to groups outside my intended audience, eh, Rick?

Give it up Rick, the more you post, the more stupid you look.

--
HPT

Rex Ballard

Sep 27, 2008, 7:00:20 PM9/27/08
On Sep 25, 1:30 pm, "Clogwog" <BWAHAHAH...@BWAHAHAHAAA.LOL> wrote:
> "High Plains Thumper" <highplainsthum...@invalid.invalid> schreef in berichtnews:48dbbdbe$0$17067$6e1e...@read.cnntp.org...

> > Linux is good for high fidelity easy listening. <bitchslap>
>
> Linux out of the box can't even play mp3!, you fucking moron!http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/why-linux-dont-support-mp3-and-selected...

What the Article says is that "Linux" can't play MP3, but a Linux
distribution can, because MP3 Players included with the distribution
aren't published under GPL, or are licensed with MP3 compatible OSS
license.

First of all, the technology for playing MP3 is trivial, and Linux
does have OSS based MP3 players. The specific issue is DRM protected
content, which does require DRM compliant software - which confirms
active subscription/payment, keeps a playlist, and submits the
playlist to the subscription provider.

The key is how you aquire the mp3 content. If you download it, you
have to pay the subscription and verify it at least once a month. If
you rip it from a CD you've purchased, you can play it with any MP3
player software available for Linux.

Clogwog

Sep 28, 2008, 9:35:42 AM9/28/08
> Still <bitchslap>

[aside]
<STALK>
--
Hoge (High) vlaktes (Plains) neuker (Thumper) is een vieze bevende zoon van
een turks geslachte paardepik!

Kelsey Bjarnason

Oct 1, 2008, 1:13:25 PM10/1/08
On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 02:25:12 +0100, Homer wrote:

> Verily I say unto thee, that High Plains Thumper spake thusly:
>
>> http://www.airmenofnote.com/sounds/TOC.htm
>>
>> (Airmen of Note is a premium US military band jazz combo.)
>>
>> Voila! Using Totem Movie Player 2.20.20
>
> Or even bash:
>
> #!/bin/bash
>
> trap "exit" SIGINT
>
> for track in \
> $(for album in \
> $(elinks -dump http://www.airmenofnote.com/sounds/TOC.htm | \ grep
> "/sounds/" | cut -d'.' -f2-); do elinks -dump $album | \ grep
> \.mp3 | cut -d'.' -f2-; done); do mplayer $track; done
>
> exit
>
>> Thank you again Linux for a job well done.

Not my taste in tunes, but a novel approach to playing them.

Is there a Windows equivalent, or just a GUI app requiring 12,000 times
the resources? :)

Homer

Oct 1, 2008, 6:19:42 PM10/1/08
Verily I say unto thee, that Kelsey Bjarnason spake thusly:

> On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 02:25:12 +0100, Homer wrote:
>> Verily I say unto thee, that High Plains Thumper spake thusly:

>> #!/bin/bash

>> trap "exit" SIGINT
>>
>> for track in \
>> $(for album in \
>> $(elinks -dump http://www.airmenofnote.com/sounds/TOC.htm | \
>> grep "/sounds/" | cut -d'.' -f2-); do elinks -dump $album | \
>> grep \.mp3 | cut -d'.' -f2-; done); do mplayer $track; done

# ^^^^ *correction*

>> exit
>>
>>> Thank you again Linux for a job well done.
>
> Not my taste in tunes, but a novel approach to playing them.
>
> Is there a Windows equivalent, or just a GUI app requiring 12,000 times
> the resources? :)

That would be WMP (Windows Monopoly Player) + Fraunhofer MP3 codec.
iTuna probably requires 24,000 times as much resources again.
Neither one of them are exactly resource-efficient, nor anywhere near
as powerful and flexible as MPlayer - unless one actually *wants* DRM
(I suppose some do, for some unfathomable reason).

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
`----

23:19:23 up 46 days, 20:32, 4 users, load average: 0.04, 0.07, 0.05

Kelsey Bjarnason

Oct 2, 2008, 12:36:49 PM10/2/08
On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 23:19:42 +0100, Homer wrote:

> Verily I say unto thee, that Kelsey Bjarnason spake thusly:
>> On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 02:25:12 +0100, Homer wrote:
>>> Verily I say unto thee, that High Plains Thumper spake thusly:
>
>>> #!/bin/bash
>>>
>>> trap "exit" SIGINT
>>>
>>> for track in \
>>> $(for album in \
>>> $(elinks -dump http://www.airmenofnote.com/sounds/TOC.htm | \
>>> grep "/sounds/" | cut -d'.' -f2-); do elinks -dump $album | \
>>> grep \.mp3 | cut -d'.' -f2-; done); do mplayer $track; done
> # ^^^^ *correction*
>>> exit

>> Not my taste in tunes, but a novel approach to playing them.
>>
>> Is there a Windows equivalent, or just a GUI app requiring 12,000 times
>> the resources? :)
>
> That would be WMP (Windows Monopoly Player) + Fraunhofer MP3 codec.
> iTuna probably requires 24,000 times as much resources again. Neither
> one of them are exactly resource-efficient, nor anywhere near as
> powerful and flexible as MPlayer - unless one actually *wants* DRM (I
> suppose some do, for some unfathomable reason).

Presumably for the same reasons someone would see a professional
dominatrix: for the privilege of paying someone to tell them what they
can and cannot do.

Can't say I understand such a mentality, but it's easy enough to
recognize. :)

Hadron

Oct 2, 2008, 1:04:15 PM10/2/08
Kelsey Bjarnason <kel...@lgisp.net> writes:

You idiots really think something like this can not work on windows?
Really?

JEDIDIAH

Oct 2, 2008, 1:34:35 PM10/2/08

...install enough Unix software.

--
NO! There are no CODICILES of Fight Club! |||
/ | \

Tom Shelton

Oct 2, 2008, 2:16:31 PM10/2/08

PowerShell and VLC.

--
Tom Shelton

JEDIDIAH

Oct 2, 2008, 3:42:30 PM10/2/08

I was thinking more along the lines of mplayer and bash/cygwin.

--
My macintosh runs Ubuntu. |||
/ | \

Tom Shelton

Oct 2, 2008, 5:26:35 PM10/2/08

Oh, I know - but, I was given you a solution WITHOUT unix software (vlc is
cross platform - so, not sure if that counts or not).

--
Tom Shelton

Homer

Oct 2, 2008, 10:34:34 PM10/2/08
Verily I say unto thee, that JEDIDIAH spake thusly:

> On 2008-10-02, Hadron <hadro...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> You idiots really think something like this can not work on
>> windows? Really?
>
> ...install enough Unix software.

Install enough *Free* Software...

Maybe one day the Trolls and Windows bigots will "get" it.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
`----

03:34:13 up 48 days, 47 min, 4 users, load average: 0.11, 0.19, 0.10

DFS

Oct 2, 2008, 11:19:38 PM10/2/08
Homer wrote:
> Verily I say unto thee, that JEDIDIAH spake thusly:
>> On 2008-10-02, Hadron <hadro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> You idiots really think something like this can not work on
>>> windows? Really?
>>
>> ...install enough Unix software.
>
> Install enough *Free* Software...
>
> Maybe one day the Trolls and Windows bigots will "get" it.

And maybe one day you'll quit using Windows and proprietary software and
apps and games.

William Poaster

Oct 3, 2008, 4:41:37 AM10/3/08
On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 03:34:34 +0100, Homer wrote:

> Verily I say unto thee, that JEDIDIAH spake thusly:
>> On 2008-10-02, Hadron <hadro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> You idiots really think something like this can not work on windows?
>>> Really?
>>
>> ...install enough Unix software.
>
> Install enough *Free* Software...
>
> Maybe one day the Trolls and Windows bigots will "get" it.

Well they get freebies with Windoze too! Like trojans, viruses, spyware,
etc. ;-)

Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004