Interesting stuff about Linux

7

Apr 3, 2009, 4:50:12 PM4/3/09
Interesting stuff about Linux
-----------------------------

I got pulled into a conversation about cutting down on PCs to save
energy and go green / save money / save the planet / save
in times of recession.

The first thing the WINDUMMY OSen IT manager suggested was
putting in some Linux servers and virtualising all the sales
guys PCs to give them remote access.

I was like - dah! What just happened?

Thats my job as techie to sugget way out ideas and for management to
moderate. Not the the other round.
And they wanted virtualised web servers and virtualised ftp servers
with accounts for all the remote customers and the like.
Limit the environment to or three quad core PCs and with terabyte
storage and MOVE THE VIRTUAL MACHINES BETWEEN PCs DURING MAINTANCE.
And then I was told some of the stuff we were running
was actually Linux and open source products but put into
a commercial monetized framwork! And management ALREADY KNEW THIS!

Come on guys! If you know Linux is at the heart of your
important and valued systems then why hide it.
And yes the recession is on us and eco friendly behaviour
is important but you don't have to give Linux guys
the run around if you know Linux is at the heart of good
management and future technological planning.

Be up front about your intentions and hire more Linux
talent. At the same time, virtualisation with software like VirtualBox is
some of the best use you can put a PC to save energy
and PC count around the office. And you can set them up
without having to damage the existing PCs with the dd command
to take your physical hard drives and make it available inside the virtual
machine with your now virtualised hard disk ( You can do the dd command
over the network with nc [net cat] command making life easy peasy.)

http://www.livcdlist.com
http://www.distrowatch.com

Chris Ahlstrom

Apr 3, 2009, 5:44:58 PM4/3/09
After takin' a swig o' grog, 7 belched out
this bit o' wisdom:

> Be up front about your intentions and hire more Linux
> talent. At the same time, virtualisation with software like VirtualBox is
> some of the best use you can put a PC to save energy
> and PC count around the office. And you can set them up
> without having to damage the existing PCs with the dd command
> to take your physical hard drives and make it available inside the virtual
> machine with your now virtualised hard disk ( You can do the dd command
> over the network with nc [net cat] command making life easy peasy.)

rsync works well too.

--
I'm reporting for duty as a modern person. I want to do the Latin Hustle now!

C. (http://symcbean.blogspot.com/)

Apr 4, 2009, 7:05:35 PM4/4/09
On 3 Apr, 21:50, 7 <website_has_em...@www.enemygadgets.com> wrote:
<snip>

> The first thing the WINDUMMY OSen IT manager suggested was
> putting in some Linux servers and virtualising all the sales
> guys PCs to give them remote access.
>
> I was like - dah! What just happened?
>
> Thats my job as techie to sugget way out ideas and for management to
> moderate. Not the the other round.
> And they wanted virtualised web servers and virtualised ftp servers
> with accounts for all the remote customers and the like.
> Limit the environment to or three quad core PCs and with terabyte
> storage and MOVE THE VIRTUAL MACHINES BETWEEN PCs DURING MAINTANCE.
> And then I was told some of the stuff we were running
> was actually Linux and open source products but put into
> a commercial monetized framwork! And management ALREADY KNEW THIS!

I know that Microsoft and third party developers still have not got
the hang of multi-user computers, but for a lot of applications, it
still makes more sense to simply go with a server running apps
remotely rather than a full virtual machine per-user. (No Machine NX
is great for doing this over low badnwidth links - but can't run MS-
Win apps natively unless you use Wine / X-over or have a Citrix srever
too). But of course you don't get the benefit of being able to move
the virtual server about (unless you run it in a virtual server).

C.

Erik Funkenbusch

Apr 5, 2009, 1:15:14 PM4/5/09
On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 20:50:12 GMT, 7 wrote:

> The first thing the WINDUMMY OSen IT manager suggested was
> putting in some Linux servers and virtualising all the sales
> guys PCs to give them remote access.

I don't think you know what you're talking about.

> I was like - dah! What just happened?

Obviously, because you haven't a clue.

> And they wanted virtualised web servers and virtualised ftp servers
> with accounts for all the remote customers and the like.
> Limit the environment to or three quad core PCs and with terabyte
> storage and MOVE THE VIRTUAL MACHINES BETWEEN PCs DURING MAINTANCE.

This sounds like VMWare ESX server. While it's true that ESX uses a Linux
host for certain configuration functions (to run the so called system
console), but this basically runs as a virtual machine under the VMWare
hypervisor. The "OS" is VMware, not Linux.

> And then I was told some of the stuff we were running
> was actually Linux and open source products but put into
> a commercial monetized framwork! And management ALREADY KNEW THIS!

Which probably means it's Apache Tomcat based. This is quite common.

What I find more interesting is the fact that you had no clue what your own
company was doing.

Don Zeigler

Apr 5, 2009, 2:16:34 PM4/5/09
Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> What I find more interesting is the fact that you had no clue what your own
> company was doing.

What I find more interesting is the fact you hang out in a newsgroup devoted
to an OS you hate.

Kill yourself as soon as possible.
--
Regards,
[dmz]

...Ethernet: A device to catch the Ether Bunny.

DFS

Apr 5, 2009, 3:30:01 PM4/5/09
Don Zeigler wrote:
> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>
>> What I find more interesting is the fact that you had no clue what
>> your own company was doing.
>
> What I find more interesting is the fact you hang out in a newsgroup
> devoted to an OS you hate.
>
> Kill yourself as soon as possible.

The man-child is back, flinging his petulance and kindergarten-style rage.

Erik Funkenbusch

Apr 5, 2009, 6:20:32 PM4/5/09
On Sun, 5 Apr 2009 14:16:34 -0400, Don Zeigler wrote:

> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>
>> What I find more interesting is the fact that you had no clue what your own
>> company was doing.
>
> What I find more interesting is the fact you hang out in a newsgroup devoted
> to an OS you hate.

How is that a fact?

I don't hate Linux. Why do you insist that it's a fact that I do?

Peter Köhlmann

Apr 5, 2009, 6:29:18 PM4/5/09
Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> On Sun, 5 Apr 2009 14:16:34 -0400, Don Zeigler wrote:
>
>> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>>
>>> What I find more interesting is the fact that you had no clue what
>>> your own company was doing.
>>
>> What I find more interesting is the fact you hang out in a newsgroup
>> devoted to an OS you hate.
>
> How is that a fact?
>
> I don't hate Linux.

Are you a "true linux advocate" instead?

> Why do you insist that it's a fact that I do?

All you have ever posted would suggest exactly that
--
Microsoft's Guide To System Design:
It could be worse, but it'll take time.

Erik Funkenbusch

Apr 5, 2009, 6:33:09 PM4/5/09
On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 00:29:18 +0200, Peter Köhlmann wrote:

> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

>>> What I find more interesting is the fact you hang out in a newsgroup
>>> devoted to an OS you hate.
>>
>> How is that a fact?
>>
>> I don't hate Linux.
>
> Are you a "true linux advocate" instead?

Where did I say I was?

>> Why do you insist that it's a fact that I do?
>
> All you have ever posted would suggest exactly that

I've posted pro-linux messages. So your claim that /ALL/ I have ever
posted is false.

Hadron

Apr 6, 2009, 8:04:51 AM4/6/09
Erik Funkenbusch <er...@despam-funkenbusch.com> writes:

As FF said : you're either with them 100% or you are the
enemy. Advocating improvements in Linux is tantamount to heresy because
they think it's perfect as it is.

--
In view of all the deadly computer viruses that have been spreading
lately, Weekend Update would like to remind you: when you link up to

chrisv

Apr 6, 2009, 9:10:23 AM4/6/09
Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

It's "just business" with you, eh, Fuddie?

--
"There is no evidence, nor has it been proven that anything Microsoft
has done has actually prevented competition, even if their actions

Sermo Malifer

Apr 6, 2009, 9:31:48 AM4/6/09
On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 14:04:51 +0200, Hadron wrote:

> Erik Funkenbusch <er...@despam-funkenbusch.com> writes:

>>> Are you a "true linux advocate" instead?
>>
>> Where did I say I was?

>>> All you have ever posted would suggest exactly that
>>
>> I've posted pro-linux messages. So your claim that /ALL/ I have ever
>> posted is false.
>
> As FF said : you're either with them 100% or you are the enemy.
> Advocating improvements in Linux is tantamount to heresy because they
> think it's perfect as it is.

Nobody will be surprised at your failure to support those claims.

Snit

Apr 6, 2009, 9:36:20 AM4/6/09

You continue to babble... a *lot*, but you cannot answer simple questions:

1) Why do you think it is surprising to *anyone* that a nine-year
old girl (who you bizarrely and offensively consider to be below
you on the evolutionary ladder) would not be able to use Linux,
especially with the help you keep dishonestly denying was available?

2) Why do you think Linux is so hard to install that several people
in COLA would not be able to do so (a claim you go back and forth
in making and then denying you made!)?

3) It is clear you do not get the well established benefits of a
consistent UI; but why are you against desktop Linux offer the
the choice of such a UI to people who do value higher quality?

Sigh: 100% predictable, you will not answer *any* question I just asked.
You will run... your whole goal is to beg for attention, not to make or
support a point.

Hadron

Apr 6, 2009, 9:49:21 AM4/6/09
Snit <cs...@gallopinginsanity.com> writes:

nice. You made it into my new killfile. Jesus, stop repeating the same
garbage. It's worse than High Plains Hypocrite and his COLA FAQ.

Sermo Malifer

Apr 6, 2009, 10:59:54 AM4/6/09
On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 15:49:21 +0200, Hadron wrote:

> Snit <cs...@gallopinginsanity.com> writes:
>
>> You continue to babble... a *lot*, but you cannot answer simple
>> questions:
>>
>> 1) Why do you think it is surprising to *anyone* that a nine-year
>> old girl (who you bizarrely and offensively consider to be below you
>> on the evolutionary ladder) would not be able to use Linux,
>> especially with the help you keep dishonestly denying was available?
>>
>> 2) Why do you think Linux is so hard to install that several people
>> in COLA would not be able to do so (a claim you go back and forth in
>> making and then denying you made!)?
>>
>> 3) It is clear you do not get the well established benefits of a
>> consistent UI; but why are you against desktop Linux offer the the
>> choice of such a UI to people who do value higher quality?
>>
>> Sigh: 100% predictable, you will not answer *any* question I just
>> asked. You will run... your whole goal is to beg for attention, not to
>> make or support a point.
>>

> nice. You made it into my new killfile. Jesus, stop repeating the same
> garbage. It's worse than High Plains Hypocrite and his COLA FAQ.

"All I see is him (repeatably for sure) asking you and other "advocates"
to explain why you think his more researched and consistent "choice" is
bad for Linux. None of you appear able to explain. YOu also seem unable
to read and understand the UI documents we have repeatedly linked to."

-- Hadron, in support of Snit

Snit

Apr 6, 2009, 11:06:21 AM4/6/09

Chris Ahlstrom

Apr 6, 2009, 11:50:26 AM4/6/09
After takin' a swig o' grog, Hadron belched out
this bit o' wisdom:

> Snit <cs...@gallopinginsanity.com> writes:

>> You continue to babble... a *lot*, but you cannot answer simple questions:
>>

>> 1) ...
>> 2) ...
>> 3) ...

> nice. You made it into my new killfile. Jesus, stop repeating the same
> garbage. It's worse than High Plains Hypocrite and his COLA FAQ.

Snit is the greatest troll of them all.

All hail Snit!

--
Expect a letter from a friend who will ask a favor of you.

chrisv

Apr 6, 2009, 12:37:04 PM4/6/09
Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> Hadron belched:

>> Shit writes:
>>
>>> You continue to babble... a *lot*, but you cannot answer simple questions:
>>>
>>> 1) ...
>>> 2) ...
>>> 3) ...
>>
>> nice. You made it into my new killfile. Jesus, stop repeating the same
>> garbage. It's worse than High Plains Hypocrite and his COLA FAQ.

Quack KF'ed Shit??

>Snit is the greatest troll of them all.
>
>All hail Snit!

Quite an accomplishment, to be despised by so many, eh?

RonB

Apr 6, 2009, 12:38:59 PM4/6/09

Hadron killfiled Snit? Wow, maybe the world *really* can change for the
better! My faith in humanity has been restored.

--
RonB
"There's a story there...somewhere"

Sermo Malifer

Apr 6, 2009, 1:41:43 PM4/6/09
On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 11:50:26 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Hadron belched out
> this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> Snit <cs...@gallopinginsanity.com> writes:
>>
>>> You continue to babble... a *lot*, but you cannot answer simple
>>> questions:
>>>
>>> 1) ...
>>> 2) ...
>>> 3) ...
>>
>> nice. You made it into my new killfile. Jesus, stop repeating the same
>> garbage. It's worse than High Plains Hypocrite and his COLA FAQ.
>
> Snit is the greatest troll of them all.
>
> All hail Snit!

I've been proved correct: Snit is as reviled by the people on his side
as he is by those who oppose him!

chrisv

Apr 6, 2009, 2:44:19 PM4/6/09
RonB wrote:

>Hadron killfiled Snit? Wow, maybe the world *really* can change for the
>better!

"Killfiled", not "killed". Don't drink all the Champagne... 8)

Erik Funkenbusch

Apr 6, 2009, 6:12:25 PM4/6/09
On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 08:10:23 -0500, chrisv wrote:

> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>
>> Don Zeigler wrote:

>>> What I find more interesting is the fact you hang out in a newsgroup devoted
>>> to an OS you hate.
>>
>>How is that a fact?
>>
>>I don't hate Linux. Why do you insist that it's a fact that I do?
>
> It's "just business" with you, eh, Fuddie?

What I hate are lying and dishonest Linux advocates. I'm annoyed by
misguided, but otherwise honest Linux advocaes. I think you fall into the
latter.

When I post something that seems negative against Linux (which is, in
general pretty rare that I do) it's usually to make a point against an
advocate, such as Roy. Not to make a point against Linux, because in
general I believe that all OS's have their strengths and weaknesses.

If I hated Linux, i'd say so. If I thought Linux sucked, I'd say so. I
have said never of them.

Don Zeigler

Apr 6, 2009, 10:42:42 PM4/6/09
Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> Snit is the greatest troll of them all.
>
> All hail Snit!

Holy SHIT. How bad do you have to be for *Hadron* to killfile you?

All hail Snot Glasser!!!!!!1!!!2!!!

--
Regards,
[dmz]
Owner/proprietor, Trollus Amongus, LLC

...Life's essentials: H O C N Ca P Cl K S Na Mg

Don Zeigler

Apr 6, 2009, 10:44:07 PM4/6/09
chrisv wrote:

> "Killfiled", not "killed". Don't drink all the Champagne... 8)

Well, rats. I was getting ready to go to church and light a candle for Snot.

Don Zeigler

Apr 6, 2009, 10:45:09 PM4/6/09
Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> When I post something that seems negative against Linux (which is, in
> general pretty rare that I do)

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! "Pretty rare..." LOL LOL LOL

--
Regards,
[dmz]
Owner/proprietor, Trollus Amongus, LLC

..."And we had to chisel taglines into the walls of the cave...."

Snit

Apr 7, 2009, 12:17:01 AM4/7/09
Don Zeigler stated in post mb0j1qss73p$.dlg@this.domain.or.that on 4/6/09
7:42 PM:

> Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>
>> Snit is the greatest troll of them all.
>>
>> All hail Snit!
>
> Holy SHIT. How bad do you have to be for *Hadron* to killfile you?
>
> All hail Snot Glasser!!!!!!1!!!2!!!

For the record: it was Sermo who pushed me to the point of acting in a way
that was clearly not my best behavior. I am not blaming him or suggesting
it is his fault I corrected his lies over and over, I am congratulating him
on accomplishing his goal. His goal, clearly, is simply to get attention
and he got a whole lot of mine.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

Hadron

Apr 7, 2009, 12:30:25 AM4/7/09
Don Zeigler <sit...@this.computer> writes:

> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>
>> When I post something that seems negative against Linux (which is, in
>> general pretty rare that I do)
>
> BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! "Pretty rare..." LOL LOL LOL

Please post a link to him or me saying we hate Linux. One will do.

chrisv

Apr 7, 2009, 9:24:46 AM4/7/09
Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> chrisv wrote:
>>
>> It's "just business" with you, eh, Fuddie?
>
>What I hate are lying and dishonest Linux advocates.

Yeah, that's what they all say.

>I'm annoyed by
>misguided, but otherwise honest Linux advocaes. I think you fall into the
>latter.

In what way am I "misguided"? Because I flame lying trolls? Sheesh,
you claim some advocates are bad, how about the shameless, bald-faced
liars that make-up the Wintroll crowd in here?

Maybe I'm "misguided" because I think that Micro$oft is an immoral
organization and has a negative net-worth to society?

Maybe I'm "misguided" because I think everyone should be able to
choose their software based on price and performance, not because
"everyone else uses it" because some monopolizing scumbags have
implemented artificial limitations on data exchange and usage.

>When I post something that seems negative against Linux (which is, in
>general pretty rare that I do) it's usually to make a point against an
>advocate, such as Roy. Not to make a point against Linux, because in
>general I believe that all OS's have their strengths and weaknesses.
>
>If I hated Linux, i'd say so. If I thought Linux sucked, I'd say so. I
>have said never of them.

You're just a Micro$oft apologist, is all. And you've displayed gross
dishonesty yourself, on *many* occasions.

Doctor Smith

Apr 7, 2009, 10:27:21 AM4/7/09
On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 06:30:25 +0200, Hadron wrote:

> Don Zeigler <sit...@this.computer> writes:
>
>> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>>
>>> When I post something that seems negative against Linux (which is, in
>>> general pretty rare that I do)
>>
>> BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! "Pretty rare..." LOL LOL LOL
>
> Please post a link to him or me saying we hate Linux. One will do.

Don is gone.
Hiding behind his bad wig no doubt :(

The so called Linux "advocates" in COLA are crumbling.
It's reached a point where after 17+ years Linux has failed to gain desktop
market share and with each Linux screw up, Munich, Netbook, OLPC etc it
just gets more difficult for the freetards to scream "Linux just works" and
be taken seriously.

Linux had it's chance with the release of Vista.
Linux failed.
Vista, despite all the bad press and problems has managed to far surpass in
a few months, Linux's 17+ year desktop market share.

It's pathetic when something that is free can't be given away and used.

JEDIDIAH

Apr 7, 2009, 1:47:48 PM4/7/09
On 2009-04-07, Doctor Smith <iaintgotnos...@ols.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 06:30:25 +0200, Hadron wrote:
>
>> Don Zeigler <sit...@this.computer> writes:

>>> BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! "Pretty rare..." LOL LOL LOL
>>
>> Please post a link to him or me saying we hate Linux. One will do.
>
> Don is gone.
> Hiding behind his bad wig no doubt :(
>
> The so called Linux "advocates" in COLA are crumbling.
> It's reached a point where after 17+ years Linux has failed to gain desktop
> market share and with each Linux screw up, Munich, Netbook, OLPC etc it

So?

The market leader video chipset vendor supports Linux explicitly.
I rarely have to put much thought into "avoiding incompatable hardware".
Even "obscure" stuff like the Hauppauge 1212 has not just parrity but
BETTER support in Linux (due to highly motivated enthusiasts). Various
application and desktop development projects have borne fruit.

> just gets more difficult for the freetards to scream "Linux just works" and
> be taken seriously.

"It just works" and "everyone uses it" are entirely separate problems.

Just ask Apple

> Linux had it's chance with the release of Vista.
> Linux failed.
> Vista, despite all the bad press and problems has managed to far surpass in
> a few months, Linux's 17+ year desktop market share.
>
> It's pathetic when something that is free can't be given away and used.

That doesn't make it any less useful.

Whine all you like.

If we are "so pathetic" then of course you are even more so.

--
My macintosh runs Ubuntu. |||
/ | \

Chris Ahlstrom

Apr 7, 2009, 4:08:54 PM4/7/09
After takin' a swig o' grog, JEDIDIAH belched out
this bit o' wisdom:

> On 2009-04-07, Doctor Smith <iaintgotnos...@ols.net> wrote:
>
> <garbage snipped>

> The market leader video chipset vendor supports Linux explicitly.

Why give the flatfish a platform for his leering jeering garbage-talk?

--
You have a strong appeal for members of your own sex.

JEDIDIAH

Apr 7, 2009, 4:42:06 PM4/7/09
On 2009-04-07, Chris Ahlstrom <ahls...@launchmodem.com> wrote:
> After takin' a swig o' grog, JEDIDIAH belched out
> this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> On 2009-04-07, Doctor Smith <iaintgotnos...@ols.net> wrote:
>>
>> <garbage snipped>
>>
>> The market leader video chipset vendor supports Linux explicitly.
>
> Why give the flatfish a platform for his leering jeering garbage-talk?

Some stuff is so obviously and painfully bogus, it needs to be addressed
explicitly. When it comes to video, the top 3 hardware venodors all
explicitly support Linux either with open specs or binary drivers.

One might complain about ATI on Linux but it's the vendor supplied
driver you would be complaining about there...

Besides, I wonder how much rigamarole he needs to go through to deal
with video decode hardware acceleration under Windows.

--
Oracle... can't live with it... |||
/ | \