[News] New Beta of Skype for GNU/Linux, Other Applications in Review

Roy Schestowitz

Aug 28, 2009, 1:26:42 PM8/28/09

New Skype Linux Beta improves picture and sound quality

,----[ Quote ]
| After over a year of silence from Skype's Linux developers since even a minor
| update to the Skype Linux client and over two years since the last major
| update was revealed, a new beta release of Skype for Linux has been made
| available.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/New-Skype-Linux-Beta-improves-picture-and-sound-quality--/news/114112

qOrganizer: A personal organizer on Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| qOrganizer is a utility for Linux that helps you organize your daily stuff
| like, schedule, reminder, notes, to-dos etc. It has some good features for
| students to use as well like it provides them yo keep track of their
| timetable absence etc.
`----

http://linuxhub.net/2009/08/qorganizer-a-personal-organizer-on-linux/

Scribus Desktop Publisher's New Version is Much Improved

,----[ Quote ]
| Scribus also includes many improvements when working with PDF documents,
| including effects, transitions that you can add, and optional embedding of
| PDF and EPS files. I also appreciated the new Quick Start Guide, and Font
| Preview features.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/scribus-desktop-publishers-new-version-is-much-improved

Recent:

Skype shutdown: where are free software and free protocols?

,----[ Quote ]
| Free software is definitely going strong in some areas, especially in the
| server market. However, there are other areas where free software and free
| protocols have failed. Internet based voice and video communication is one of
| those areas. The market is basically fully owned by Skype, a piece of
| proprietary software based on a proprietary (and abusive) protocol in the
| hands the same company that runs eBay. Free software advocates have been
| saying “what if Skype was discontinued?” for years. Then I read about eBay
| considering shutting Skype down. Pardon?
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/skype_shutdown_where_are_free_software_and_free_protocols

Net2Phone Jumps Into The VoIP Patent Lawsuit Business: Sues Skype

,----[ Quote ]
| In the last year, we've witnessed plenty of companies dig up VoIP patents
| with which to sue market innovator Vonage. Verizon, AT&T, Sprint and Nortel
| all were able to get Vonage to cough up some money, rather than continue to
| fight some questionable patents.
`----

Skype As We Know It May Not Exist Much Longer, eBay Says

,----[ Quote ]
| Joltid, a company owned by Skype's founders, merely licensed some of the
| system's core technology to eBay when it sold Skype to the auction giant in
| 2005. Joltid now says that the license has been revoked and eBay is
| infringing on its rights by continuing to use the technology. The case is
| scheduled to go to court in June of 2010 but eBay is trying to replace the
| technology in the meantime. It may not succeed.
`----

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/skype_as_we_know_it_may_not_exist_much_longer_ebay.php

Skype Founders Claim eBay No Longer Has A Right To Skype's Core Tech

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090730/1950195721.shtml

Russian Telcos: Skype Is Hurting Our Business And Must Be Stopped

,----[ Quote ]
| Over in Russia, for example, it appears that a bunch of telco execs are
| complaining about Skype. They at least try to pass off a plausible
| non-save-our-asses reason: mentioning security, but they don't do a very good
| job hiding the truth.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090726/0349145659.shtml

Why eBay Should Open-Source Skype