RIP: COLA FAQ and Primer for COLA

mjcr

Jun 20, 2002, 2:17:26 AM6/20/02
The FAQ and Primer for COLA will no longer be published. I do not want my
family endangered, so the document is being withdrawn the project is being
canceled and my other pro-Linux projects and efforts are also being
canceled.

--
May all that you wish upon me and mine be visited upon you ten fold.

Charlie Ebert

Jun 20, 2002, 2:49:06 AM6/20/02
In article <slrnah2sr...@mindspring.com>, mjcr wrote:
> The FAQ and Primer for COLA will no longer be published. I do not want my
> family endangered, so the document is being withdrawn the project is being
> canceled and my other pro-Linux projects and efforts are also being
> canceled.

Your family has been endangered?

I didn't realize your FAQ/Primer was that important to anybody.

Very interesting.

Would you like to digress as to the nature of the threats or
feelings which have led you to say your family has been
endangered by this document?

Charlie

Stuart Fox

Jun 20, 2002, 2:57:20 AM6/20/02

"mjcr" <mj...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> The FAQ and Primer for COLA will no longer be published. I do not want my
> family endangered, so the document is being withdrawn the project is being
> canceled and my other pro-Linux projects and efforts are also being
> canceled.

Doesn't it say something about the Signal to Noise ratio on this group when
it's advocates can't even agree on a FAQ?

Charlie Ebert

Jun 20, 2002, 3:03:48 AM6/20/02

Nope!

Charlie

Terry Porter@gronk.porter.net

Jun 20, 2002, 7:28:52 AM6/20/02
Stuart Fox threw some tea leaves on the floor

Not really as 30% of Cola postings are by a few well known
Windows using, anti-Linux posters, and they generate *far* more
noise than the few posts on this issue.

Find something significant to criticise Linux advocates with will
ya Stu ?

--
Kind Regards from Terry
My Desktop is powered by GNU/LinuX, Sorcerer kernel 2.4.17

Ian Pegel

Jun 20, 2002, 1:02:13 PM6/20/02
For it was written by Charlie Ebert:

> In article <slrnah2sr...@mindspring.com>, mjcr wrote:
>> The FAQ and Primer for COLA will no longer be published. I do not want
>> my family endangered, so the document is being withdrawn the project is
>> being canceled and my other pro-Linux projects and efforts are also
>> being canceled.
>>

> Your family has been endangered?
>
> I didn't realize your FAQ/Primer was that important to anybody.

Me neither

> Very interesting.
>
> Would you like to digress as to the nature of the threats or feelings
> which have led you to say your family has been endangered by this
> document?

If there are apparently level headed linux advocates out there who are in
private threatening physical violence, I think we should be told.

--

Ian - looking through a glass onion

Johan Lindquist

Jun 20, 2002, 4:19:07 PM6/20/02
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 at 08:17 GMT, peering quizzically at his shoes,
mjcr <mj...@mindspring.com> suddenly blurted:

> The FAQ and Primer for COLA will no longer be published. I do not
> want my family endangered, so the document is being withdrawn the
> project is being canceled and my other pro-Linux projects and
> efforts are also being canceled.

As improbable as it sounds that someone would actually threaten
anyone for doing open source (or linux) work, I'm sorry to hear that.
At least as for the latter part (whatever I have said about your
personality, I still believe you have some talents).

--
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. Perth ---> *
10:08pm up 1 day, 23:24, 1 user, load average: 1.04, 1.14, 1.17

Kenneth Downs

Jun 20, 2002, 10:58:42 PM6/20/02
Stuart Fox wrote:

Yes. It says that we work out our differences in public, where everyone is
free to participate or ignore it as they will.

It says that this open process does resolve disagreements in favor of the
majority opinion, which itself grows in thoughtful conversation over time.

It says that a little group of hot-headed and opinionated people CAN agree
on the one thing that we have in common: working together to document what
we like about Linux Advocacy.

And, though it may not be nice to talk about, and we probably all want to
put it behind us, it does demonstrate that no single individual can enforce
his will upon the group.

These are all good things.

Perhaps it's all about how you look at things.

--
Ken
Linux, the more you learn, the more you love

rapskat

Jun 21, 2002, 12:02:08 AM6/21/02
Error Log for Thu, 20 Jun 2002 22:58:42 -0400: segfault in module "Kenneth
Downs" - dump details are as follows...

>> Doesn't it say something about the Signal to Noise ratio on this group
>> when it's advocates can't even agree on a FAQ?
>
> Yes. It says that we work out our differences in public, where everyone
> is free to participate or ignore it as they will.
>
> It says that this open process does resolve disagreements in favor of
> the majority opinion, which itself grows in thoughtful conversation over
> time.
>
> It says that a little group of hot-headed and opinionated people CAN
> agree on the one thing that we have in common: working together to
> document what we like about Linux Advocacy.
>
> And, though it may not be nice to talk about, and we probably all want
> to put it behind us, it does demonstrate that no single individual can
> enforce his will upon the group.
>
> These are all good things.
>
> Perhaps it's all about how you look at things.

'nuff said.

--
rapskat - 12:00am up 5 days, 2:31, 6 users, load average: 0.26, 0.22, 0.14
CPU states: 0.6% user, 2.8% system, 0.0% nice, 8.8% idle

The best part of beauty is that which no picture can express. -- Francis Bacon.

Ilari Liusvaara

Jun 21, 2002, 9:06:24 AM6/21/02
Datagram from Charlie Ebert incoming on netlink socket
<slrnah2un4...@charlie.ebertlan.org>. Dumping datagram.

> In article <slrnah2sr...@mindspring.com>, mjcr wrote:
>> The FAQ and Primer for COLA will no longer be published. I do not want my
>
> Your family has been endangered?

Or... Someone paid a sum large enough :-> Hopefully not, through.

-Ilari
--
Linux LK_Perkele_IV9 2.4.18 #8 SMP Thu Mar 14 19:42:25 EET 2002 i686 unknown
4:05pm up 11 days, 2:14, 6 users, load average: 0.05, 0.04, 0.00