[News] [Linux] Microsoft Says It Won't Sue, Wants More Novell-like Deals

Roy Schestowitz

May 14, 2007, 9:20:55 PM5/14/07
Microsoft Won't Sue Linux Users, Company Exec Says

,----[ Quote ]
| Instead, Microsoft said it wants to create more arrangements that
| mirror the company's deal with Linux distributor Novell.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199501831

Microsoft vs. Linux: setting the battle lines

,----[ Quote ]
| While Microsoft professes a preference to license rather than litigate,
| its record indicates otherwise. On Feb. 22, 2007, a jury awarded a
| $1.52 billion patent judgment in favor of Alcatel-Lucent against
| Microsoft over the Redmond, Wash., company's use of MP3 codices.
| This was the largest patent award in history. In the Eolas case,
| Microsoft was also found guilty in a $521 million patent
| infringement ruling over how Internet Explorer handled embedded content.
`----

John Bailo

May 14, 2007, 10:08:05 PM5/14/07
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Microsoft Won't Sue Linux Users, Company Exec Says
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Instead, Microsoft said it wants to create more arrangements that
> | mirror the company's deal with Linux distributor Novell.

You can just see the hot flashes coming and going.

One minute it's one thing...then the other...

NoStop

May 14, 2007, 10:56:45 PM5/14/07
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Microsoft Won't Sue Linux Users, Company Exec Says
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Instead, Microsoft said it wants to create more arrangements that
> | mirror the company's deal with Linux distributor Novell.
> `----

The old divide and conqueror trick. Hopefully others won't be a dumb as
Novell. Bring on GPLv3!

Cheers.

--
The "Wow" starts now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyLqUf4cdwc&eurl=

"No sane person wants Vista, so Microsoft is making sure they have no
choice."
http://www.aaxnet.com/editor/edit043.html

Erik Funkenbusch

May 14, 2007, 11:00:44 PM5/14/07
On Tue, 15 May 2007 02:20:55 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Microsoft Won't Sue Linux Users, Company Exec Says
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Instead, Microsoft said it wants to create more arrangements that
>| mirror the company's deal with Linux distributor Novell.
> `----
>
> http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199501831

Ahem...

What did I tell everyone?

"Gutierrez said the comments were made not as a threat, but with the
intention of highlighting an intellectual property issue affecting the
entire computer industry. "It's important for everyone to understand that
there is a real problem with Linux patents and that there is a need for a
solution," he said."

In other words, he's pointing out that in today's patent environment, Linux
is in grave danger from many different sources. Microsoft themselves have
been working to reduce the impact of software patents, but until software
patents are neutralized, you have to fight patents with patents. That's
something open source developers don't seem to understand.

> Microsoft vs. Linux: setting the battle lines
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| While Microsoft professes a preference to license rather than litigate,
>| its record indicates otherwise. On Feb. 22, 2007, a jury awarded a
>| $1.52 billion patent judgment in favor of Alcatel-Lucent against
>| Microsoft over the Redmond, Wash., company's use of MP3 codices.
>| This was the largest patent award in history. In the Eolas case,
>| Microsoft was also found guilty in a $521 million patent
>| infringement ruling over how Internet Explorer handled embedded content.
> `----
>
> http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS8462761823.html

I'm sorry, but how does Microsoft being sued by others over patents prove
that Microsoft is litigation happy over patents?

Jim Richardson

May 14, 2007, 11:50:54 PM5/14/07

"We are either doing something, or we are not. 'Talking about' is a
subset of 'not'."

Erik Funkenbusch

May 15, 2007, 12:19:39 AM5/15/07
On Mon, 14 May 2007 20:50:54 -0700, Jim Richardson wrote:

> It's time for MS to put up or shut up. Show the patents they claim Linux
> infringes, and then either the coders can fix it, or the legal beagles
> can challange the patent in court.
>
> Absent MS providing concrete info of this nature, it is FUD, pure and
> simple.

That depends entirely on whether or not their claims are valid. Failure to
support a claim doesn't mean the claim isn't valid. You should know that.

Peter Köhlmann

May 15, 2007, 2:15:04 AM5/15/07
Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

Yes, we know. SCO has shown us that.
And they had "millions of lines of stolen code" to withhold from us
--
The Day Microsoft makes something that does not suck is probably
the day they start making vacuum cleaners.

Jim Richardson

May 15, 2007, 3:22:15 AM5/15/07

"Even if you can deceive people about a product through misleading
statements, sooner or later the product will speak for itself."
- Hajime Karatsu

William Poaster

May 15, 2007, 4:47:48 AM5/15/07
On Tue, 15 May 2007 08:15:04 +0200, Peter Köhlmann wrote:

> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 14 May 2007 20:50:54 -0700, Jim Richardson wrote:
>>
>>> It's time for MS to put up or shut up. Show the patents they claim
>>> Linux infringes, and then either the coders can fix it, or the legal
>>> beagles can challange the patent in court.
>>>
>>> Absent MS providing concrete info of this nature, it is FUD, pure and
>>> simple.
>>
>> That depends entirely on whether or not their claims are valid.
>> Failure to support a claim doesn't mean the claim isn't valid.

Oh, I wonder if *this* is why "Ewik the Weasel" believes his spurious
"claims" don't need to be supported?
You know the ones:
Why can't M$ TTFonts be used in linux.

How did the Morris worm spread by email?

What about the "thousands of root exploits per month" he claimed,
(& was then found to be making it all up)?

What was the plan he was going to reveal wrt adding nonsensical
lines to the ends of Roy's posts? You know, the plan he was going to
tell us about before he spent a week away and fell behind? Right? The
time he fell behind by a week and had to take 3 or more months to get
caught up with posts?
Just what *was* that plan he claimed he was going to amaze us with?

>> You should know that.
>
> Yes, we know. SCO has shown us that.
> And they had "millions of lines of stolen code" to withhold from us

IMO if someone makes claims, they *should* be prepared to back it up with
solid proof, & *not* strawman arguments....like Ewik the Weasel.

Roy Schestowitz

May 15, 2007, 5:48:22 AM5/15/07
__/ [ William Poaster ] on Tuesday 15 May 2007 09:47 \__

Add this one where he ran away from the argument despite the fact that I
explicitly asked for an answer (at least twice). This was visible to me
because he modified the subject line to mock and stick labels.

===

From: Roy Schestowitz <newsg...@schestowitz.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Re: [Roy Schestowitz Lies Again] Windows Gets Another 'Hack' to Fix
Inherently-insecure System (was: [News] Windows Gets Another 'Hack' to Fix
Inherently-insecure System)
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 15:45:29 +0100

__/ [ Roy Schestowitz ] on Saturday 28 April 2007 11:50 \__

> __/ [ Erik Funkenbusch ] on Saturday 28 April 2007 08:45 \__
>
>> On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 03:52:30 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> Microsoft mulling major changes to ward off .ANI-type flaws
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]

>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=181
>>
>> I'm struggling to find ANY way that you could possibly not be lying
>> here. This article talks about Microsoft's software development lifecycle,
>> and how they are taking steps by barring the use of functions that have a
>> history of unsafe use, as well as various tools to help identify flawed
>> code. Yet your title says that Microsoft is issuing some hack patch to
>> fix windows.
>>
>> They're two ENTIRELY different concepts. One is a proactive stance
>> taken by professional developers (OpenBSD uses a similar approach), and
>> the other is creating a crappy piece of code.
>>
>> Do you not even read the articles you link to? How do you justify
>> fabricating these subject lines?
>
> Subject lines modified to get past filters, eh?
>
> Do you consider the following measure a step towards security? Or is it
> just a workaround for flawed design?

bump

Runs away again?

> Program Names govern admin rights in Vista
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | "This is a little bit silly: just name the installer something
> | else, and Vista lets it through," Chess said. He added that
> | although the feature is imperfect and inconvenient, it's
> | "better than nothing".
> `----
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/23/vista_program_naming_oddness/

Linonut

May 15, 2007, 7:49:58 AM5/15/07

> Microsoft Won't Sue Linux Users, Company Exec Says
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Instead, Microsoft said it wants to create more arrangements that
> | mirror the company's deal with Linux distributor Novell.
> `----
>
> http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199501831

Microsoft currently collects royalties from some companies that use
Linux in their computing environments, Gutierrez said. However, he
declined to indicate the number, the dollar amount Microsoft receives
from those payments, or identify any of the companies by name.

Gutierrez also said Microsoft is not likely to publicly list which
specific patents it believes are infringed upon by open source
software. "We're not going to have a discussion publicly with that
level of detail," he said.

Microsoft has made the patents in question known to corporate Linux
users and distributors, Gutierrez said.

Microsoft wants to make sure that Linux is expensive to companies.

However, if Vista is any guide (and I think it is), the quality of their
operating systems may end up making Linux a compelling alternative
nonetheless, unless Microsoft can clean up its shop.

--
Rejuvenate your hardware with GNU/Linux!

Linonut

May 15, 2007, 7:51:04 AM5/15/07
After takin' a swig o' grog, Erik Funkenbusch belched out this bit o' wisdom:

> On Tue, 15 May 2007 02:20:55 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Microsoft Won't Sue Linux Users, Company Exec Says
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Instead, Microsoft said it wants to create more arrangements that
>>| mirror the company's deal with Linux distributor Novell.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199501831
>
> Ahem...
>
> What did I tell everyone?

Oh shut the fuck up.

You're one of the bigger shitmeisters around here.

> "Gutierrez said the comments were made not as a threat, but with the
> intention of highlighting an intellectual property issue affecting the
> entire computer industry. "It's important for everyone to understand that
> there is a real problem with Linux patents and that there is a need for a
> solution," he said."

And so is Gutierrez.

--
Windows Vista -- Because you want to use your CPU as a toaster

Linonut

May 15, 2007, 7:52:03 AM5/15/07
After takin' a swig o' grog, Erik Funkenbusch belched out this bit o' wisdom:

> On Mon, 14 May 2007 20:50:54 -0700, Jim Richardson wrote:

You shoud know that failure to support the claim in a court of law means
the claim is legally invalid.

--
Windows Vista -- "This time we've not just cut corners, we've rounded
them off."

Roy Schestowitz

May 15, 2007, 8:23:32 AM5/15/07
__/ [ Linonut ] on Tuesday 15 May 2007 12:49 \__

I guess Jeremy Allison was right. He said this months ago.

http://boycottnovell.com/2007/05/15/linux-money-for-ms/

--
~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz | Data lacking semantics is currency in an island
1:20pm up 16 days 21:42, 5 users, load average: 0.56, 0.68, 0.80

William Poaster

May 15, 2007, 11:19:09 AM5/15/07

<snip>
======

Done! :-)

Linonut

May 15, 2007, 12:26:11 PM5/15/07

> __/ [ Linonut ] on Tuesday 15 May 2007 12:49 \__
>

>>> http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199501831
>>
>> Microsoft currently collects royalties from some companies that use
>> Linux in their computing environments, Gutierrez said. However, he
>> declined to indicate the number, the dollar amount Microsoft receives
>> from those payments, or identify any of the companies by name.

Which is odd, since we know the three companies: Fuji Xerox, Samsung,
and Novell.

> I guess Jeremy Allison was right. He said this months ago.
>
> http://boycottnovell.com/2007/05/15/linux-money-for-ms/

This one is also telling.

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584-6183476.html

Crushed by the Wheels of Industry
By Jeremy Allison, Special to ZDNet
Published on ZDNet News: May 14, 2007, 5:33 AM PT

Even more telling is the responses from a number of rather obnoxious and
immature Microsoft monkeys, including the well-known dissembler, George
Ou.

Also, apparently at least one of the posters was outed as a paid
participant.

--
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me
than a frontal lobotomy.

Guy Fawkes

May 15, 2007, 4:43:42 AM5/15/07

"Roy Schestowitz" <newsg...@schestowitz.com> schreef in bericht

> Microsoft Won't Sue Linux Users, Company Exec Says
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Instead, Microsoft said it wants to create more arrangements that
> | mirror the company's deal with Linux distributor Novell.
> `----
>
> http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199501831

Do those idiots we're gonna pay up just because they're *claiming* to have
patents that OSS might infringe upon? They must be out of their minds or
very desperate.

Besides, even if they did detail which software infringes on which patents
no payment will be done since the code will simply be changed to circumvent
the patents. And that's only if we think it's a valid claim, which most
likely will not be the case.

Roy Schestowitz

May 16, 2007, 8:04:32 PM5/16/07
__/ [ Guy Fawkes ] on Tuesday 15 May 2007 09:43 \__

In his strong rebuttal, Linus shrewdly points out that O/S theory goes back
to the 1960s. Microsoft would never wish to mess with IBM -- the company
which Gates fears the most.

--
~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz | Useless fact: Digits 772-777 of Pi are 999999
http://Schestowitz.com | RHAT GNU/Linux Ś PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
1:00am up 18 days 9:22, 6 users, load average: 1.12, 1.01, 1.15

[H]omer

May 16, 2007, 11:37:49 PM5/16/07

> This one is also telling.
>
> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584-6183476.html
>
> Crushed by the Wheels of Industry
> By Jeremy Allison, Special to ZDNet
> Published on ZDNet News: May 14, 2007, 5:33 AM PT
>
> Even more telling is the responses from a number of rather obnoxious and
> immature Microsoft monkeys, including the well-known dissembler, George
> Ou.
>
> Also, apparently at least one of the posters was outed as a paid
> participant.

You mean "No_Ax_to_Grind" a.k.a. Dr.GroundAxe?

If you read through Dell's IdeaStorm, you'll see these same shills, half
of whom a COLA Trolls, and the other half are Microsoft employees (or both).

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| 'Also, no one calls it PCI-X even though that's the "official "
| shortening of the much more commonly used "PCI Express".'
| - Hardon Quirk, COLA's resident "genius".
`----

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.20-1.2312.fc5
04:35:55 up 30 days, 2:08, 3 users, load average: 0.26, 0.32, 0.34

Roy Schestowitz

May 17, 2007, 2:48:42 AM5/17/07
__/ [ [H]omer ] on Thursday 17 May 2007 04:37 \__

> Verily I say unto thee, that Linonut spake thusly:
>
>> This one is also telling.
>>
>> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584-6183476.html
>>
>> Crushed by the Wheels of Industry
>> By Jeremy Allison, Special to ZDNet
>> Published on ZDNet News: May 14, 2007, 5:33 AM PT
>>
>> Even more telling is the responses from a number of rather obnoxious and
>> immature Microsoft monkeys, including the well-known dissembler, George
>> Ou.
>>
>> Also, apparently at least one of the posters was outed as a paid
>> participant.
>
> You mean "No_Ax_to_Grind" a.k.a. Dr.GroundAxe?
>
> If you read through Dell's IdeaStorm, you'll see these same shills, half
> of whom a COLA Trolls, and the other half are Microsoft employees (or
> both).

When I posted bad publicity for Dell in netscape.com, Dell employees came to
extinguish the fire so to speak (there are comments and there's also a
"sink" feature, like "bury" in Digg).

--
~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz | Reversi for Linux/Win32: http://othellomaster.com

http://Schestowitz.com | RHAT GNU/Linux Ś PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E

run-level 5 Apr 28 15:45 last=S

The Ghost In The Machine

May 18, 2007, 11:15:37 AM5/18/07
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Guy Fawkes
<spare_...@spoilthechild.com>
wrote
on Tue, 15 May 2007 10:43:42 +0200
<4649666d$0$16352$8826...@free.teranews.com>:

> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsg...@schestowitz.com> schreef in bericht
>> Microsoft Won't Sue Linux Users, Company Exec Says
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Instead, Microsoft said it wants to create more arrangements that
>> | mirror the company's deal with Linux distributor Novell.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199501831
>>

> Do those idiots we're gonna pay up just because they're *claiming* to have
> patents that OSS might infringe upon? They must be out of their minds or
> very desperate.

It's standard issue FUD. Windows 3.1 is probably the
first instance thereof, when a beta suggested non-MS-DOS
DOS versions might not be 100% compatible.

> Besides, even if they did detail which software infringes on which patents
> no payment will be done since the code will simply be changed to circumvent
> the patents. And that's only if we think it's a valid claim, which most
> likely will not be the case.

Until we see the actual patents, it's kinda hard to tell.

#191, ewi...@earthlink.net
Useless C++ Programming Idea #1123133:
void f(FILE * fptr, char *p) { fgets(p, sizeof(p), fptr); }

Mark Kent

May 19, 2007, 8:08:23 AM5/19/07
Roy Schestowitz <newsg...@schestowitz.com> espoused:

> __/ [ [H]omer ] on Thursday 17 May 2007 04:37 \__
>
>> Verily I say unto thee, that Linonut spake thusly:
>>
>>> This one is also telling.
>>>
>>> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584-6183476.html
>>>
>>> Crushed by the Wheels of Industry
>>> By Jeremy Allison, Special to ZDNet
>>> Published on ZDNet News: May 14, 2007, 5:33 AM PT
>>>
>>> Even more telling is the responses from a number of rather obnoxious and
>>> immature Microsoft monkeys, including the well-known dissembler, George
>>> Ou.
>>>
>>> Also, apparently at least one of the posters was outed as a paid
>>> participant.
>>
>> You mean "No_Ax_to_Grind" a.k.a. Dr.GroundAxe?
>>
>> If you read through Dell's IdeaStorm, you'll see these same shills, half
>> of whom a COLA Trolls, and the other half are Microsoft employees (or
>> both).
>
> When I posted bad publicity for Dell in netscape.com, Dell employees came to
> extinguish the fire so to speak (there are comments and there's also a
> "sink" feature, like "bury" in Digg).

Does anyone still believe that the anti-charter posters here are
unrewarded for their efforts?

Mark Kent

May 19, 2007, 8:09:48 AM5/19/07
Roy Schestowitz <newsg...@schestowitz.com> espoused:

> __/ [ Guy Fawkes ] on Tuesday 15 May 2007 09:43 \__
>

>> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsg...@schestowitz.com> schreef in bericht
>>> Microsoft Won't Sue Linux Users, Company Exec Says
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199501831
>>>

>> Do those idiots we're gonna pay up just because they're *claiming* to have
>> patents that OSS might infringe upon? They must be out of their minds or
>> very desperate.
>>
>> Besides, even if they did detail which software infringes on which patents
>> no payment will be done since the code will simply be changed to circumvent
>> the patents. And that's only if we think it's a valid claim, which most
>> likely will not be the case.
>
> In his strong rebuttal, Linus shrewdly points out that O/S theory goes back
> to the 1960s. Microsoft would never wish to mess with IBM -- the company
> which Gates fears the most.

Software patents do not apply in the EU, or, in fact, anywhere outside
Nafta and Oz. This is just noise.

Roy Schestowitz

May 19, 2007, 10:06:35 AM5/19/07
__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Saturday 19 May 2007 13:09 \__

> Roy Schestowitz <newsg...@schestowitz.com> espoused:
>> __/ [ Guy Fawkes ] on Tuesday 15 May 2007 09:43 \__
>>

>>> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsg...@schestowitz.com> schreef in bericht

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199501831

>>> Do those idiots we're gonna pay up just because they're *claiming* to
>>> have patents that OSS might infringe upon? They must be out of their
>>> minds or very desperate.
>>>
>>> Besides, even if they did detail which software infringes on which
>>> patents no payment will be done since the code will simply be changed to
>>> circumvent the patents. And that's only if we think it's a valid claim,
>>> which most likely will not be the case.
>>
>> In his strong rebuttal, Linus shrewdly points out that O/S theory goes
>> back to the 1960s. Microsoft would never wish to mess with IBM -- the
>> company which Gates fears the most.
>>

> Software patents do not apply in the EU, or, in fact, anywhere outside
> Nafta and Oz. This is just noise.

Have you seen the article that connects Microsoft action with the EU's
conference on patents? In short, some say that Microsoft used the FUD to
encourage the acceptance of software patents in the EU. They say timing was
by no means a coincidence.

--
~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz | Warning 0x12C: ispell feels tired

3:05pm up 20 days 23:27, 6 users, load average: 1.54, 2.06, 1.69

Roy Schestowitz

May 19, 2007, 10:08:51 AM5/19/07
__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Saturday 19 May 2007 13:08 \__

> Roy Schestowitz <newsg...@schestowitz.com> espoused:
>> __/ [ [H]omer ] on Thursday 17 May 2007 04:37 \__
>>
>>> Verily I say unto thee, that Linonut spake thusly:

>>> You mean "No_Ax_to_Grind" a.k.a. Dr.GroundAxe?
>>>
>>> If you read through Dell's IdeaStorm, you'll see these same shills, half
>>> of whom a COLA Trolls, and the other half are Microsoft employees (or
>>> both).
>>
>> When I posted bad publicity for Dell in netscape.com, Dell employees came
>> to extinguish the fire so to speak (there are comments and there's also a
>> "sink" feature, like "bury" in Digg).
>>

> Does anyone still believe that the anti-charter posters here are
> unrewarded for their efforts?

In one way or another, all of them (including DFS) depend on the monopoly for
sustaining their skills, products, and moneyflow. Still, they definitely do
not belong here. They should vent anger and frustration in appropriate
forums. I don't see "Linux fans" sabotaging discussions in the Windows
forums. They sometimes may recommend Linux, being happy dual booters.

--
~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz | Warning 0x12C: ispell feels tired

3:05pm up 20 days 23:27, 6 users, load average: 1.54, 2.06, 1.69

[H]omer

May 19, 2007, 10:25:25 AM5/19/07
Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Kent spake thusly:

> Does anyone still believe that the anti-charter posters here are
> unrewarded for their efforts?

With one or two exceptions (known ex-employees) I really can't believe
these Trolls are all directly on Microsoft's payroll, however I do
believe they are financially motivated, one way or another.

My best guess is that they are dinosaurs, Luddites, dead wood, relics of
a bygone age, who believe they need to preserve the proprietary world in
which they grew up in order to assure their futures. There's that, and
the fact that most of them are probably MS shareholders.

The world has changed, and keeps changing. We're moving into a more
services oriented marketplace - even Microsoft concurs with that, as
their recent activities have shown.

The Trolls seem to be motivated by fear. They're suffering from chronic
insecurity. We should pity them.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| 'Also, no one calls it PCI-X even though that's the "official "
| shortening of the much more commonly used "PCI Express".'
| - Hardon Quirk, COLA's resident "genius".
`----

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.20-1.2312.fc5

15:22:44 up 32 days, 12:54, 0 users, load average: 0.25, 0.22, 0.16

William Poaster

May 20, 2007, 5:33:51 AM5/20/07
On Sat, 19 May 2007 15:25:25 +0100, [H]omer wrote:

> Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Kent spake thusly:
>
>> Does anyone still believe that the anti-charter posters here are
>> unrewarded for their efforts?
>
> With one or two exceptions (known ex-employees) I really can't believe
> these Trolls are all directly on Microsoft's payroll, however I do
> believe they are financially motivated, one way or another.
>
> My best guess is that they are dinosaurs, Luddites, dead wood, relics of
> a bygone age, who believe they need to preserve the proprietary world in
> which they grew up in order to assure their futures. There's that, and
> the fact that most of them are probably MS shareholders.
>
> The world has changed, and keeps changing. We're moving into a more
> services oriented marketplace - even Microsoft concurs with that, as
> their recent activities have shown.
>
> The Trolls seem to be motivated by fear. They're suffering from chronic
> insecurity. We should pity them.

Why? It's *their* choice that they don't want to adapt & learn new
skills. It like someone who persists in using old manual machine tools to
produce something, instead of learning to use CNC machines to produce
items better, faster & cheaper. So, no, I have no sympathy for them.

Roy Schestowitz

May 20, 2007, 6:11:51 AM5/20/07
__/ [ William Poaster ] on Sunday 20 May 2007 10:33 \__

The trolls? Or users in general? Many of them haven't a choice, you know.
That's why something's got to change. It's those who stubbornly defend the
choice (or 'choice') that are a nuisance.

--
~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz | make install -not war
Swap: 1036184k total, 448264k used, 587920k free, 100228k cached

William Poaster

May 20, 2007, 7:35:29 PM5/20/07
On Sun, 20 May 2007 11:11:51 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> __/ [ William Poaster ] on Sunday 20 May 2007 10:33 \__
>
>> On Sat, 19 May 2007 15:25:25 +0100, [H]omer wrote:
>>
>>> Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Kent spake thusly:

>>> With one or two exceptions (known ex-employees) I really can't believe
>>> these Trolls are all directly on Microsoft's payroll, however I do
>>> believe they are financially motivated, one way or another.
>>>
>>> My best guess is that they are dinosaurs, Luddites, dead wood, relics
>>> of a bygone age, who believe they need to preserve the proprietary
>>> world in which they grew up in order to assure their futures. There's
>>> that, and the fact that most of them are probably MS shareholders.
>>>
>>> The world has changed, and keeps changing. We're moving into a more
>>> services oriented marketplace - even Microsoft concurs with that, as
>>> their recent activities have shown.
>>>
>>> The Trolls seem to be motivated by fear. They're suffering from
>>> chronic insecurity. We should pity them.
>>
>> Why? It's *their* choice that they don't want to adapt & learn new
>> skills. It like someone who persists in using old manual machine tools
>> to produce something, instead of learning to use CNC machines to
>> produce items better, faster & cheaper. So, no, I have no sympathy for
>> them.
>
> The trolls?

The wintrolls.
Homer said: "...that they are dinosaurs, Luddites, dead wood, relics of a

bygone age, who believe they need to preserve the proprietary world in
which they grew up in order to assure their futures. There's that, and
the fact that most of them are probably MS shareholders."

They stubbornly cling on to sinking ship, to be sure it's slow, but it
*is* gradually sinking. So if they won't learn new skills, or adapt their
skills to other things, then...... And do they think M$ actually *cares*
about *them*? M$ is too busy fighting all kinds of legal battles,
spreading FUD about the opposition, & playing dirty tricks to bother
about its minions, IMO.

As for shareholders, IMO they have a choice of watching M$ burning their
assets (which they are doing ATM) & *hoping* things improve, or bailing
out now (& Gates & co have been dumping some of *their* shares) & at
least salvaging *something*.

> Or users in general? Many of them haven't a choice, you know. That's
> why something's got to change.

It has.

> It's those who stubbornly defend the choice (or 'choice') that are a
> nuisance.

As Homer said "luddites".

Thufir

May 29, 2007, 8:33:20 PM5/29/07
On Tue, 15 May 2007 11:52:03 +0000, Linonut wrote:

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Erik Funkenbusch belched out this bit o'
> wisdom:
>
>> On Mon, 14 May 2007 20:50:54 -0700, Jim Richardson wrote:
>>
>>> It's time for MS to put up or shut up. Show the patents they claim
>>> Linux infringes, and then either the coders can fix it, or the legal
>>> beagles can challange the patent in court.
>>>
>>> Absent MS providing concrete info of this nature, it is FUD, pure and
>>> simple.
>>
>> That depends entirely on whether or not their claims are valid.
>> Failure to support a claim doesn't mean the claim isn't valid. You
>> should know that.
>
> You shoud know that failure to support the claim in a court of law means
> the claim is legally invalid.

If Oprah has to retract her statements about the beef, what allows
Microsoft to make statements having, IIRC, the same effect on Linux
vendors as Oprah had on beef?

-Thufir

mario

May 29, 2007, 10:15:41 PM5/29/07

"Roy Schestowitz" newsg...@schestowitz.com schreef in bericht
> Microsoft Won't Sue Linux Users, Company Exec Says
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Instead, Microsoft said it wants to create more arrangements that
> | mirror the company's deal with Linux distributor Novell.
> `----
>
> http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199501831

Do those idiots we're gonna pay up just because they're *claiming* to have
patents that OSS might infringe upon? They must be out of their minds or
very desperate.

Besides, even if they did detail which software infringes on which patents
no payment will be done since the code will simply be changed to circumvent
the patents. And that's only if we think it's a valid claim, which most
likely will not be the case.

Roy Schestowitz

May 30, 2007, 9:35:45 AM5/30/07
__/ [ mario ] on Wednesday 30 May 2007 03:15 \__

Like Mark Shuttelworth said (also mentioned in this video
http://boycottnovell.com/2007/04/23/antitrust-monopoly/ ), they want to cash
in on the sale of *all* software, or at least create fear that will drive
everyone to buying their own product.

Quote:

.----
`----

--
~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz | Open the Gate$ to Hell
http://Schestowitz.com | Free as in Free Beer Ś PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E