PCLinuxOS - new release due soon

Don Zeigler

Jan 25, 2009, 10:39:01 PM1/25/09
According to the PCLOS support forum, the 2009 release is imminent. Users of
PCLOS 2007 will be able to update their existing installations no later than
next weekend. Shortly after this, the ISO will be released for those wishing
to do a fresh install via that method.

This was the first distro that I really stuck with any length of time, after
spending time with Caldera, Mandrake and SuSE. At the time it was the only
distro that generally worked right out of the box and had support for most
audio and video formats including needed browser plugins.

My question about the new release is "will anyone really notice?" Two years
ago, PCLinuxOS was a standout, now Ubuntu and others user-friendly distros
have partially eclipsed it. I'll definitely give the new release a try, but I
don't see where it offers me any compelling reason to move away from Ubuntu,
which has been my working distro for many months now.
--
A peek at the answer is worth a thousand guesses.

Regards,
[dmz]

Owner and proprietor, Trollus Amongus, LLC

Snit

Jan 25, 2009, 10:58:58 PM1/25/09
On 1/25/09 8:39 PM, in article
20090126033901...@this.domain.or.that, "Don Zeigler"
<sit...@this.computer> wrote:

> According to the PCLOS support forum, the 2009 release is imminent. Users of
> PCLOS 2007 will be able to update their existing installations no later than
> next weekend. Shortly after this, the ISO will be released for those wishing
> to do a fresh install via that method.
>
> This was the first distro that I really stuck with any length of time, after
> spending time with Caldera, Mandrake and SuSE. At the time it was the only
> distro that generally worked right out of the box and had support for most
> audio and video formats including needed browser plugins.
>
> My question about the new release is "will anyone really notice?" Two years
> ago, PCLinuxOS was a standout, now Ubuntu and others user-friendly distros
> have partially eclipsed it. I'll definitely give the new release a try, but I
> don't see where it offers me any compelling reason to move away from Ubuntu,
> which has been my working distro for many months now.

Sounds like you learned a thing or two from my PCLOS/Ubuntu comparisons. :)

Sinister Midget

Jan 26, 2009, 2:11:34 AM1/26/09
On 2009-01-26, Don Zeigler <sit...@this.computer> claimed:

> According to the PCLOS support forum, the 2009 release is imminent. Users of
> PCLOS 2007 will be able to update their existing installations no later than
> next weekend. Shortly after this, the ISO will be released for those wishing
> to do a fresh install via that method.
>
> This was the first distro that I really stuck with any length of time, after
> spending time with Caldera, Mandrake and SuSE. At the time it was the only
> distro that generally worked right out of the box and had support for most
> audio and video formats including needed browser plugins.
>
> My question about the new release is "will anyone really notice?" Two years
> ago, PCLinuxOS was a standout, now Ubuntu and others user-friendly distros
> have partially eclipsed it. I'll definitely give the new release a try, but I
> don't see where it offers me any compelling reason to move away from Ubuntu,
> which has been my working distro for many months now.

If it doesn't have mono in the things I use, I'll play with it.

I liked PCLOS a lot. It's the only RPM-based distro, live or otherwise,
that I can say that about. There were things I didn't like, but they
were few.

My problem is they waited so long to really advance that I gave up
using them. The old version doesn't get along with some of my hardware
now. I can fix most of that, but I'm getting too impatient now that so
many others work just fine with everything.

I know of at least 2 other people that picked up on PCLOS not long ago
and like it. I'd imagine they'll jump on the new version as well.

--
Microsoft: The Taliban of the software world.

Gordon

Jan 26, 2009, 3:52:50 AM1/26/09
Don Zeigler wrote:
> According to the PCLOS support forum, the 2009 release is imminent. Users of
> PCLOS 2007 will be able to update their existing installations no later than
> next weekend. Shortly after this, the ISO will be released for those wishing
> to do a fresh install via that method.
>
> This was the first distro that I really stuck with any length of time, after
> spending time with Caldera, Mandrake and SuSE. At the time it was the only
> distro that generally worked right out of the box and had support for most
> audio and video formats including needed browser plugins.
>
> My question about the new release is "will anyone really notice?" Two years
> ago, PCLinuxOS was a standout, now Ubuntu and others user-friendly distros
> have partially eclipsed it. I'll definitely give the new release a try, but I
> don't see where it offers me any compelling reason to move away from Ubuntu,
> which has been my working distro for many months now.

I had a HUGE problem with 2007 in that no matter what I did, Open Office
took at LEAST 20 seconds to launch, whereas OO in Ubuntu was almost
instantaneous...(on the same hardware...)

Don Zeigler

Jan 26, 2009, 4:30:43 AM1/26/09
Snit wrote:

> Sounds like you learned a thing or two from my PCLOS/Ubuntu comparisons. :)

Nope, never read 'em.
--
Everyone hates me because I'm paranoid.

Peter Köhlmann

Jan 26, 2009, 5:25:27 AM1/26/09
Don Zeigler wrote:

> Snit wrote:
>
>> Sounds like you learned a thing or two from my PCLOS/Ubuntu comparisons.
>> :)
>
> Nope, never read 'em.

A waste of time, as Snot Michael Glasser forged his screenshots.
They have nothing to do with real KDE/Gnome

He simply started to blubber incoherently when faced with the fact that KDE
is consistent if you stick to KDE apps, and likewise is Gnome. Linux UI
will even stay very consistent when mixing KDE and Gnome apps, as the
slight differences between those UIs (less than between typical windows
apps) would only confuse a typical Michael Glasser "student" (who are all
dumber than dirt)
After he totally lost the plot in his idiotic attempts to somehow
slap "inconsistent UI" on linux, he resorted to forging his "inconsisties"
--
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however, a
significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

William Poaster

Jan 26, 2009, 6:19:38 AM1/26/09
On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 01:11:34 -0600, above the shrieking & whining of the
trolls, Sinister Midget was heard to say:

> On 2009-01-26, Don Zeigler <sit...@this.computer> claimed:
>> According to the PCLOS support forum, the 2009 release is imminent.
>> Users of PCLOS 2007 will be able to update their existing installations
>> no later than next weekend. Shortly after this, the ISO will be released
>> for those wishing to do a fresh install via that method.
>>
>> This was the first distro that I really stuck with any length of time,
>> after spending time with Caldera, Mandrake and SuSE. At the time it was
>> the only distro that generally worked right out of the box and had
>> support for most audio and video formats including needed browser
>> plugins.
>>
>> My question about the new release is "will anyone really notice?" Two
>> years ago, PCLinuxOS was a standout, now Ubuntu and others user-friendly
>> distros have partially eclipsed it. I'll definitely give the new release
>> a try, but I don't see where it offers me any compelling reason to move
>> away from Ubuntu, which has been my working distro for many months now.
>
> If it doesn't have mono in the things I use, I'll play with it.

Well PCLOS is Mandriva based, so it may or may not...

> I liked PCLOS a lot. It's the only RPM-based distro, live or otherwise,
> that I can say that about. There were things I didn't like, but they were
> few.

I liked PCLOS quite a bit, & had no problems with it. But as my
machines are all 64bit (save for one, which runs Debian Lenny) & AFAIK
they don't make a 64-bit version, I moved to Mandriva & Ubuntu (LTS).

High Plains Thumper

Jan 26, 2009, 7:41:42 AM1/26/09
Don Zeigler wrote:
> Snit wrote:
>
>> Sounds like you learned a thing or two from my PCLOS/Ubuntu
>> comparisons. :)
>
> Nope, never read 'em.

Understand. Following posters made a profound statement:

3- Andrew J. Brehm: "You are not flamed because you speak the
truth, you are flamed because you are a hideous troll and keep
disrupting the newsgroup."

50- Mark Kent (cola): "The problem with someone like Mr Glasser
is the same as it is with Mr Wong, even if he were to be honest
now, it would be impossible to determine where the honesty starts
and the usual dishonesty ends. In my primary school, one of the
teachers was very keen on proverbs, and I recall her going over
the "cry wolf" story. Mr Glasser could "cry wolf" over and over
now, and I would not come to help him with his sheep, because I
do not know any way of determining if he's ever telling the
truth, or indeed, if he ever has."

Rest of the other 120 direct poster quotes regarding the Snit
Circus of pathological lies may be found at:

http://tinyurl.com/9858jv

--
HPT
Quando omni flunkus moritati

chrisv

Jan 26, 2009, 9:52:13 AM1/26/09
Don Zeigler wrote:

> My question about the new release is "will anyone really notice?" Two years
> ago, PCLinuxOS was a standout, now Ubuntu and others user-friendly distros
> have partially eclipsed it. I'll definitely give the new release a try, but I
> don't see where it offers me any compelling reason to move away from Ubuntu,
> which has been my working distro for many months now.

Ah, 2007 is fine. If Windwoes users can deal with using the ancient XP,
we can deal with PCLOS 2007. 8)

I suppose if you're doing a new machine, you'd like the newer OS...

Snit

Jan 26, 2009, 12:07:20 PM1/26/09
Peter Köhlmann stated in post
497d8f97$0$30234$9b4e...@newsspool1.arcor-online.net on 1/26/09 3:25 AM:

> Don Zeigler wrote:
>
>> Snit wrote:
>>
>>> Sounds like you learned a thing or two from my PCLOS/Ubuntu comparisons.
>>> :)
>>
>> Nope, never read 'em.
>
> A waste of time, as Snot Michael Glasser forged his screenshots.
> They have nothing to do with real KDE/Gnome

Ah, and now Peter feels the need to openly lie. Blatantly. Even for you,
Peter, that was an absurd lie.

> He simply started to blubber incoherently when faced with the fact that KDE
> is consistent if you stick to KDE apps, and likewise is Gnome.

One: that is not true.
Two: even if it were true, being that neither of those are Linux desktop
distros, it would be *irrelevant*.

> Linux UI will even stay very consistent when mixing KDE and Gnome apps, as the
> slight differences between those UIs (less than between typical windows apps)
> would only confuse a typical Michael Glasser "student" (who are all dumber
> than dirt) After he totally lost the plot in his idiotic attempts to somehow
> slap "inconsistent UI" on linux, he resorted to forging his "inconsisties"

Gee, how many times have you been told the question has very little to do
with confusion? Would take someone dumber than dirt to not be able to get
that, eh? Yes, Peter, that someone is you. :)

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

Snit

Jan 26, 2009, 12:07:38 PM1/26/09
Don Zeigler stated in post 20090126093040...@this.domain.or.that
on 1/26/09 2:30 AM:

> Snit wrote:
>
>> Sounds like you learned a thing or two from my PCLOS/Ubuntu comparisons. :)
>
> Nope, never read 'em.

Well, not closely - your replies make that clear!

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

Snit

Jan 26, 2009, 12:08:04 PM1/26/09
High Plains Thumper stated in post 497daf88$0$3339$6e1e...@read.cnntp.org
on 1/26/09 5:41 AM:

You sure beg for my attention a lot.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

Don Zeigler

Jan 26, 2009, 1:00:24 PM1/26/09
chrisv wrote:

> I suppose if you're doing a new machine, you'd like the newer OS...

Interestingly enough, the 2009 release will be built on KDE 3.5 and not 4.x.
I, for one, don't like the new KDE.
--
Excuse my driving ... I'm trying to reload.

Snit

Jan 26, 2009, 1:14:28 PM1/26/09
Don Zeigler stated in post 20090126180025...@this.domain.or.that
on 1/26/09 11:00 AM:

> chrisv wrote:
>
>> I suppose if you're doing a new machine, you'd like the newer OS...
>
> Interestingly enough, the 2009 release will be built on KDE 3.5 and not 4.x.
> I, for one, don't like the new KDE.

Neither does Linus... so I suppose you are in good company. :)

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

Sinister Midget

Jan 26, 2009, 1:16:56 PM1/26/09
On 2009-01-26, Don Zeigler <sit...@this.computer> claimed:
> chrisv wrote:
>
>> I suppose if you're doing a new machine, you'd like the newer OS...
>
> Interestingly enough, the 2009 release will be built on KDE 3.5 and not 4.x.
> I, for one, don't like the new KDE.

That improves the canhes I'll use it. I don't like the new KDE either.
I can use Gnome, but I don't really want to do that either.

--
VISTA: Very Ignorant Software, Truly Anal

Peter Köhlmann

Jan 26, 2009, 1:30:00 PM1/26/09
Sinister Midget wrote:

> On 2009-01-26, Don Zeigler <sit...@this.computer> claimed:
>> chrisv wrote:
>>
>>> I suppose if you're doing a new machine, you'd like the newer OS...
>>
>> Interestingly enough, the 2009 release will be built on KDE 3.5 and not
>> 4.x. I, for one, don't like the new KDE.
>
> That improves the canhes I'll use it. I don't like the new KDE either.
> I can use Gnome, but I don't really want to do that either.

Actually, I like it quite a lot.
I currently use the 4.2RC version, and it is very useable by now.
There are still things missing from KDE3.5, but they are getting closer.

And in several areas they have it alreadey surpassed. For example the
new "activities" you can assign to virtual desktops (but don't need to)
enhances that paradigm even further. Another case where windows and OSX
are left out in the dust. Also the new "plasmoids" are a step up from the
old mini-apps of the kicker
--
Ehrman's Commentary:
(1) Things will get worse before they get better.

Sinister Midget

Jan 26, 2009, 1:37:37 PM1/26/09
On 2009-01-26, Peter Köhlmann <peter.k...@arcor.de> claimed:

> Sinister Midget wrote:

>>> Interestingly enough, the 2009 release will be built on KDE 3.5 and not
>>> 4.x. I, for one, don't like the new KDE.
>>
>> That improves the canhes I'll use it. I don't like the new KDE either.
>> I can use Gnome, but I don't really want to do that either.
>>

> Actually, I like it quite a lot.
> I currently use the 4.2RC version, and it is very useable by now.
> There are still things missing from KDE3.5, but they are getting closer.
>
> And in several areas they have it alreadey surpassed. For example the
> new "activities" you can assign to virtual desktops (but don't need to)
> enhances that paradigm even further. Another case where windows and OSX
> are left out in the dust. Also the new "plasmoids" are a step up from the
> old mini-apps of the kicker

I may get used to it some day. Probably not by choice. But as long as I
have the option I'll stick with the older model.

I had trouble setting some things in the newer versions that I know
exactly how to set in the older ones. Key combinations to run the
programs I like, for one. I can set anything I want to run anything I
want under 3.5 and earlier. I couldn't find anything that did the setup
under 4.X. I even couldn't use the ones I already had when I manually
moved them. That makes sense since they probably changed how it's done.
But I couldn't find where to set it. I tried to use an external program
to do the same thing. But I couldn't get it to work, not even when I
manually ran it. It worked fine under 3.5, although it wasn't needed
since I could do the same thing inside of KDE.

--
The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armor to
lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores

Clogwog

Jan 26, 2009, 4:36:18 PM1/26/09
"Don Zeigler" <sit...@this.computer> schreef in bericht

> Snit wrote:
>
>> Sounds like you learned a thing or two from my PCLOS/Ubuntu comparisons.
>> :)
>
> Nope, never read 'em.

Liar, you read everything related to Snit, just like Kohltard and the chrisv
oddball!, you nymshifting coward ;-)

Snit

Jan 26, 2009, 10:45:10 PM1/26/09
High Plains Thumper stated in post 497daf88$0$3339$6e1e...@read.cnntp.org
on 1/26/09 5:41 AM:

> Don Zeigler wrote:

[quote] 1.4 The Charter of comp.os.linux.advocacy. The charter
of comp.os.linux.advocacy is: For discussion of the benefits of
Linux compared to other operating systems. [/quote]

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]