OT: Weirdness on my boss's XP laptop

Don Zeigler

Jan 19, 2009, 8:23:41 AM1/19/09
This wasn't your typical virus or spyware infection:

She brought her laptop to the office Friday and asked me to take a look at it.
She's fairly technical and the thing has up to date anti-malware apps.
According to her, web surfing was slower than normal and even when idle her
modem lights flashed constantly with activity.

I found an instance of Xitami web server running, along with mIRC. Neither was
showing up on the taskbar, I found them in the running processes. And neither
showed up in add/remove programs. The hidden mIRC app was parked on a channel
whose name was nothing but a long string of characters.

It was a simple matter to get rid of both, but I've never seen anything like
this. In my mind, it was a really lame attempt by someone to compromise the
machine. Just goes to show you that even stupid script kiddies are capable of
getting around anti-malware.

--
Jesus is coming! Everyone look busy.

Regards,
[dmz]

Owner and proprietor, Trollus Amongus, LLC

Ezekiel

Jan 19, 2009, 8:26:00 AM1/19/09

"Don Zeigler" <sit...@this.computer> wrote in message

> This wasn't your typical virus or spyware infection:
>
> She brought her laptop to the office Friday and asked me to take a look at
> it.
> She's fairly technical and the thing has up to date anti-malware apps.
> According to her, web surfing was slower than normal and even when idle
> her
> modem lights flashed constantly with activity.
>
> I found an instance of Xitami web server running, along with mIRC. Neither
> was
> showing up on the taskbar, I found them in the running processes. And
> neither
> showed up in add/remove programs. The hidden mIRC app was parked on a
> channel
> whose name was nothing but a long string of characters.
>
> It was a simple matter to get rid of both, but I've never seen anything
> like
> this. In my mind, it was a really lame attempt by someone to compromise
> the
> machine. Just goes to show you that even stupid script kiddies are capable
> of
> getting around anti-malware.

What you've done to "fix" her machine isn't a proper solution. I suspect her
computer is possessed by demons and you need to kill it with an axe.

Phil Da Lick!

Jan 19, 2009, 8:43:06 AM1/19/09

Typical windows fan response - blame it on the supernatural :)

Chris Ahlstrom

Jan 19, 2009, 8:49:11 AM1/19/09
After takin' a swig o' grog, Don Zeigler belched out
this bit o' wisdom:

> I found an instance of Xitami web server running, along with mIRC. ...

Her EULA does not permit her to run a server without paying! <grin>

> --
> Jesus is coming! Everyone look busy.

They say Jesus will find you wherever you go/
But when He'll come lookin' for you they don't know/
In the meantime keep your profile low/
Gorilla, you're a desperado!/
-- Warren Zevon

--
Events are not affected, they develop.
-- Sri Aurobindo

chrisv

Jan 19, 2009, 9:28:40 AM1/19/09
Phil Da Lick! wrote:

>> What you've done to "fix" her machine isn't a proper solution. I suspect her
>> computer is possessed by demons and you need to kill it with an axe.
>
>Typical windows fan response - blame it on the supernatural :)

8)

Call the Exorcist!

High Plains Thumper

Jan 19, 2009, 10:22:58 AM1/19/09

Nothing that purchasing a new shiny laptop with Windows would not
solve, new subscription for anti-virus and personal firewall,
reinstalling all OEM applications to the new ...

Oops! OEM - cannot tranfser. Okay, buy all new applications and
transfer all data files ...

Oops! Re-transferred the root kit from old to new ...

Oh well, another candidate boxen for Linux ... two candidate
boxen for Linux ...

Life is good!

--
HPT
Quando omni flunkus moritati

Hadron

Jan 19, 2009, 10:28:41 AM1/19/09

hehe, good one!

Clogwog

Jan 19, 2009, 10:43:11 AM1/19/09
"Don Zeigler" <sit...@this.computer> schreef in bericht

> This wasn't your typical virus or spyware infection:
>
> She brought her laptop to the office Friday and asked me to take a look at
> it.
> She's fairly technical and the thing has up to date anti-malware apps.
> According to her, web surfing was slower than normal and even when idle
> her
> modem lights flashed constantly with activity.
>
> I found an instance of Xitami web server running, along with mIRC. Neither
> was
> showing up on the taskbar, I found them in the running processes. And
> neither
> showed up in add/remove programs. The hidden mIRC app was parked on a
> channel
> whose name was nothing but a long string of characters.
>
> It was a simple matter to get rid of both, but I've never seen anything
> like
> this. In my mind, it was a really lame attempt by someone to compromise
> the
> machine. Just goes to show you that even stupid script kiddies are capable
> of
> getting around anti-malware.

Yes those Linux basement dwelling scriptkiddies are capable to get passed
anything, including linux security.
http://www.mcafee.com/us/enterprise/products/anti_virus/file_servers_desktops/linuxshield.html
"the growing number of viruses, worms, and other malicious code targeting
Linux systems"
<chuckle>

Hadron

Jan 19, 2009, 10:46:35 AM1/19/09
"Clogwog" <BWAHA...@BWAHAHAHAAA.LOL> writes:

What astonishes me is that the COLA "advocates" actually deny that more
Viruses will be developed for Linux if it someday reaches more than about
1% of the desktop. I can think of no illness which could explain such
stupidity.

Clogwog

Jan 19, 2009, 10:46:21 AM1/19/09
"Chris Ahlstrom" <ahls...@launchmodem.com> schreef in bericht

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Don Zeigler belched out
> this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> I found an instance of Xitami web server running, along with mIRC. ...
>
> Her EULA does not permit her to run a server without paying! <grin>

Here we have it, Liarmutt has a great contribution to linux advocacy:
<grin>
<grin>
<grin>
<grin>
<grin>
<grin>
<grin>
<grin>
<grin>
<grin>
<grin>
<grin>
<grin>
<grin>
<grin>
<grin>
<grin>

The Lost Packet

Jan 19, 2009, 11:03:36 AM1/19/09

fuck off, I'm busy playing Need For Speed on my xbox.

--
TLP

- The following signature is encoded double-ROT-47. Unauthorised
duplication and/or decryption is a violation of the Digital Millennium
Copyright Act.

- Last night I played a blank tape at full volume. The mime next door
went nuts.

- No, I will not fix your computer.

- Thought: It must be a bitch to write your name in the snow in Arabic...

- Don't sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.

- Rice: 1.4 billion Chinese can't all be wrong.

- I'm dreaming of a better world where chickens can cross the road and
not have their motives questioned!

- If you can make a cheesecake you can install a Linux driver from source.

- Don't listen to the do-gooders, condoms are useless. They split,
they leak and they burst. And the human stomach can't handle the impact
of two kilos of cocaine.

- Users who XNA their posts are admitting that their ramblings aren't
worth reading.

- (on Windows) You know why "last known good configuration" almost
never works? Because the last known good configuration was a blank disk.
- Sinister Midget, c.o.l.a. 15 Jan 2009

- Here's to our wives and sweethearts; may they never meet.

*#* Signoff: labo-rat (find / -name \*yourbase\* -exec chown us:us {} \;)

Peter Köhlmann

Jan 19, 2009, 11:22:16 AM1/19/09
Hadron wrote:

/quote
LinuxShield protects Microsoft Windows systems by blocking Microsoft
Windows viruses from passing through the Linux environment
/unquote

No wonder that "Clogwog" in his utter idiocy did not get that far.
And naturally he gets assistance from the "true linux advocate" Hadron
Quark. After all, he tries to smear linux.

> What astonishes me is that the COLA "advocates" actually deny that more
> Viruses will be developed for Linux if it someday reaches more than about
> 1% of the desktop. I can think of no illness which could explain such
> stupidity.

Several errors here, "true linux advocate" and "kernel hacker" Hadron
Quark:
1) linux already *has* more than 1% on the desktop

2) Nobody denies that /maybe/ more viruses are written for it when it gets
more traction. After all, it is not difficult to boost the count from
*ZERO* currently in the wild to *ONE*

Feel free to provide the Msg-IDs from "the COLA "advocates" actually
denying...", liar

3) You attribute the extreme stupidity to the wrong person: The right one
would be you
--
The PROPER way to handle HTML postings is to cancel the article, then
hire a hitman to kill the poster, his wife and kids, and fuck his dog and

chrisv

Jan 19, 2009, 11:51:03 AM1/19/09
>Hadron lied:

>> What astonishes me is that

What astonishes me is what a shameless liar you are, Quack.

>> the COLA "advocates" actually deny that more
>> Viruses will be developed for Linux if it someday reaches more than about
>> 1% of the desktop.

I've never seen anyone say anything like that, shithead. What people
have said that propagating a Linux virus is much more difficult.

Another Quack bald-faced lie. Documented.

>>I can think of no illness which could explain such stupidity.

I can think of no one who would be fooled by your dishonesty, Quack.

Clogwog

Jan 19, 2009, 1:36:01 PM1/19/09
"Peter Köhlmann" <peter.k...@arcor.de> schreef in bericht

OK, fine with me, the best of both worlds then.
You snipped
<quote>
LinuxShield is one of the only products to deliver always-on, realtime
anti-virus protection for Linux environments.
</quote>
Or are you telling us that linux has no security threats or virii to deal
with?
Of course you are telling those fairy tales:
<quote>
"Linux is perfect at everything"; Peter Köhlmann: "It is"
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/f31c2035e5494b57?dmode=source&output=gplain
</quote>

Chris Ahlstrom

Jan 19, 2009, 1:46:39 PM1/19/09
After takin' a swig o' grog, Peter Köhlmann belched out
this bit o' wisdom:

> Hadron wrote:
>
>> What astonishes me is that the COLA "advocates" actually deny that more
>> Viruses will be developed for Linux if it someday reaches more than about
>> 1% of the desktop. I can think of no illness which could explain such
>> stupidity.
>
> Several errors here, "true linux advocate" and "kernel hacker" Hadron
> Quark:
>
> 1) linux already *has* more than 1% on the desktop

And on those tasty data-laden /servers/.

> 2) Nobody denies that /maybe/ more viruses are written for it when it gets
> more traction. After all, it is not difficult to boost the count from
> *ZERO* currently in the wild to *ONE*
>
> Feel free to provide the Msg-IDs from "the COLA "advocates" actually
> denying...", liar
>
> 3) You attribute the extreme stupidity to the wrong person: The right one
> would be you

A sentence laden full of trolling bullshit. Let's analyze it:

>> What astonishes me

Hyperbole.

>> is that the COLA "advocates"

Subtle slur intended to tar COLA advocates as not being advocates.

>> actually deny

A complete lie.

>> that more Viruses will be developed for Linux

Turning a small number into "0" to compound the lie.

>> if it someday reaches more than about 1% of the desktop.

Complete denial of higher Linux percentages on the desktop in places other
than the U.S.

>> I can think of no illness which could explain such stupidity.

Either we're sick or stupid, and Hadron doesn't think we're sick.
Nice. Except that he's positing a lie as a premise.

It's pretty difficult to beat Hadron for packing large amounts of garbage
into a small amount of words.

--
"Shelter," what a nice name for for a place where you polish your cat.

William Poaster

Jan 19, 2009, 6:40:12 PM1/19/09
On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 13:46:39 -0500, above the shrieking & whining of the
trolls, Chris Ahlstrom was heard to say:

As *more* of teh internet runs on Linux than windows, why haven't more
Viruses *already* been developed for Linux that do the damage that Windows
viruses do to windows servers?

But of course, like all wintrolls, Hadron Quack ignores that fact.

William Poaster

Jan 19, 2009, 6:41:06 PM1/19/09
On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 10:51:03 -0600, above the shrieking & whining of the
trolls, chrisv was heard to say:

Hadron Quack just keeps proving how little he really knows about Linux.

Don Zeigler

Jan 19, 2009, 11:19:09 PM1/19/09
Hadron wrote:

> What astonishes me is that the COLA "advocates" actually deny that more
> Viruses will be developed for Linux if it someday reaches more than about
> 1% of the desktop. I can think of no illness which could explain such
> stupidity.

And the asshole Wintrolls hijack yet another thread.

Why don't all you idiots just drop dead?
--
NEW!! IMPROVED!!! E=MC^3

The Lost Packet

Jan 19, 2009, 11:49:17 PM1/19/09
Don Zeigler wrote:
> Hadron wrote:
>
>> What astonishes me is that the COLA "advocates" actually deny that more
>> Viruses will be developed for Linux if it someday reaches more than about
>> 1% of the desktop. I can think of no illness which could explain such
>> stupidity.
>>

> And the asshole Wintrolls hijack yet another thread.
>
> Why don't all you idiots just drop dead?

What astonishes me is that wintro~1 believe that should Linux actually
overtake win32/NT in the commercial Desktop arena (beg someone tell me,
how do you measure "market share" on something that does not require
activation, registration, license keys, or even one-download-per-node?),
it'll suddenly become magically easier to defeat the kernel and the
security mechanisms in place from *minute one* to protect it and vital
system modules from such attacks. Linux security learned from UNIX, in
that its multisession, multiuser, multilevel user priveliges mean that
the keyboard operator is needed to physically intervene do /any/
measurable damage. Hardened Linux systems such as those which employ the
SELinux (Security Enhanced) module by default (ie Server Enhanced Linux
- yes, the acronym is the same), are for all intents and purposes,
unbreakable by normal users, impossible for remote users, and extremely
difficult to break locally even with the root password (which it
ignores). The protections in place with SELinux will flat deny any
attempts at all to circumvent the system.

From the National Security Agency website:

<quote>The Security-enhanced Linux kernel enforces mandatory access
control policies that confine user programs and system servers to the
minimum amount of privilege they require to do their jobs. When confined
in this way, the ability of these user programs and system daemons to
cause harm when compromised (via buffer overflows or misconfigurations,
for example) is reduced or eliminated. This confinement mechanism
operates independently of the traditional Linux access control
mechanisms. It has no concept of a "root" super-user, and does not share
the well-known shortcomings of the traditional Linux security mechanisms
(such as a dependence on setuid/setgid binaries).</quote>

Now, I cannot run SELinux native on my cluster, as some of the processes
I run require temporary elevation of privs - something SELinux will NOT
allow (which is its *strength* against malware designed to take
advantage of or trigger EOP events - something which the NT kernel is
/still/ highly vulnerable to). However, should I need a hardened
environment (for example, to test something or for allowing the kids
access to a Linux session), I can start the SELinux kernel in a VM and
run the entire session from a terminal. Groovy.

Footnote: the inclustion of SELinux into most current distributions and
enabled by default in a good chunk of those is, it has to be said and
agreed, a godsend for network administrators everywhere. Mandatory and
rigidly enforced access controls, particularly on systems accessible by
the public or by students, reduces maintenance/repair overhead by a
BLOODY HUGE AMOUNT (approaching 100%), not only saving money that would
othewise be lost due to workstation/server downtime but also allowing
the redirection of that money to other useful stuff like keeping the
coffee monkeys busy.

--
[...]

- Users who XNA their Usenet posts are admitting that their ramblings
aren't worth reading.

- (on Windows) You know why "last known good configuration" almost
never works? Because the last known good configuration was a blank disk.
- Sinister Midget, c.o.l.a. 15 Jan 2009

- Here's to our wives and sweethearts; may they never meet.

- (on writing) I suggest words formed into sentences, occasionally
divided by punctuation, then further constructed into paragraphs
containing references to the subject matter, with a detailed analysis of
that subject matter organised into chapters, and finally ending with a
conclusion. Be sure to use your own words, and not those found elsewhere
such as in a dictionary, otherwise you may be found guilty of copyright
violation - an offence punishable by death in certain states of the USA.
- Homer, c.o.l.a. 19 Jan 2009

- Forget nicotine patches, they don't smoke for shit and you only fit
3 in a rizla. I'm back to my 5 lighters a day.

Snit

Jan 20, 2009, 12:59:48 AM1/20/09
"Don Zeigler" <sit...@this.computer> stated in post
20090120041907...@this.domain.or.that on 1/19/09 9:19 PM:

> Hadron wrote:
>
>> What astonishes me is that the COLA "advocates" actually deny that more
>> Viruses will be developed for Linux if it someday reaches more than about
>> 1% of the desktop. I can think of no illness which could explain such
>> stupidity.
>>

> And the asshole Wintrolls hijack yet another thread.
>
> Why don't all you idiots just drop dead?

Wow... you are angry!

--
Is Swiss cheese made out of hole milk?

Don Zeigler

Jan 20, 2009, 3:04:38 AM1/20/09
Snit wrote:

> Wow... you are angry!

Wow - you're a useless idiot. Que surprise!
--
Why is the third hand on the watch called the second hand?

Hadron

Jan 20, 2009, 3:11:30 AM1/20/09
Don Zeigler <sit...@this.computer> writes:

> Hadron wrote:
>
>> What astonishes me is that the COLA "advocates" actually deny that more
>> Viruses will be developed for Linux if it someday reaches more than about
>> 1% of the desktop. I can think of no illness which could explain such
>> stupidity.
>>

> And the asshole Wintrolls hijack yet another thread.
>
> Why don't all you idiots just drop dead?

My comments were bang on and on topic. Nice try.

Clogwog

Jan 20, 2009, 4:56:37 AM1/20/09
"Snit" <use...@gallopinginsanity.com> schreef in bericht

Tattoo Vampire AKA Don Zeigler, Windows user by day, Linux user, windows
basher by night!
Known Snit stalker!
"intelligent" (West Virginia < lol > ), "humoristic" quotes from Don Zeigler
AKA Tattoo Vampire in COLA "advocating" Linux:
[quote]

"Wow - you're a useless idiot. Que surprise!"

"And the asshole Wintrolls hijack yet another thread.Why don't all you
idiots just drop dead?"
"Too bad you're not. Filth like you deserves to drop dead."
"Go fuck yourself, twat."
"It's a tagline, you humorless scrotum."
"There are literally hundreds of them, you sniveling little wretch."
"And you keep right on reading and responding to us, you sad bastard."
"You made a public post in a public forum, so it's everyone's business.Now
fuck off and die."
"In regards to your smartass comment above, go fuck yourself, you snotnosed
twat."
"When's the last time you posted something that wasn't sniveling or whining?
You disgust me."
"Why does it worry you so much, you worthless meatsack?"
"BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! You inbred, toothless slapnuts."
"How much does d00FuS pay you to lick his ass, Quack?"
"Leave it to Hadron and his fellow assholes to hijack another thread."
"DFS: Why such a queer?"
"Now crawl back to the Windoze newsgroups where you belong, fuckrod."
"How old are you? 12? You and your butt buddies can go screw yourselves."
"Please die soon. And do it slowly."
"Speaking of hotlines, d00Fus and Mushie have been trying to locate you.
They asked for someone to remind you that in tonight's Wintroll circle jerk,
you're the designated pivot man again."
"Too bad your mother didn't know of uses for a coathanger other than for
hanging up clothes."
"How's the Distro Approval Committee coming along, shitstain?"
"Speaking of fat heads, did d00FuS scream in pain when you finally managed
to free yours from his lower intestine?"
"Do you know what "Hadron is a fuckknob" means?"
"Please, Hadron, try not to be such a useless pimple on the buttocks of
COLA."
"Fuck you, coward. I've posted my real name and location to Usenet on
numerous occasions, and never attempted to hide my identity."
"No fuckup, asshole, I didn't even attempt to hide who it was from."
"You pitiful freak. Die, quickly."
<emulating Kadaitcha Man>
"Get a job, dork."
"You're a lying piece of dung, Snit."
"Take your own advice, buttnugget."
"Answer MY question, Quirk: Why are you such a useless, whining, lying,
cowardly, pitiful excuse for a human being?"
"Why should I be jealous of a ponytailed hippie wannabe who runs a fake
business?"
"Hey, fuck you, asshole. For whatever reason, your URL was redirecting to
prescottcomputer.com, another computer guy in Prescott. Why the hell would I
say it was if it wasn't? Now stick your head back up Flatfish's rectum."
"Lick the sweat off my balls, Quack. I don't give a hoot about any study
that Snit posted and I'm entitled to my opinion. If you don't like my
opinion, then STFU and don't read my posts anymore, you sniveling, sneering,
uncouth, inept, bungling waste of human DNA."
"You and your butt buddies can go screw yourselves."
[/quote]

More to com, the list is endless!

Snit

Jan 20, 2009, 5:13:26 AM1/20/09
"Clogwog" <BWAHA...@BWAHAHAHAAA.LOL> stated in post
200901200956...@mta-fe.casema.nl on 1/20/09 2:56 AM:

Gee, now that there is a list of quotes about Don, I bet HPT jumps into say
how that proves Don is what is said about him in those quotes.

Oh.

That would only be true if HPT were not a hypocrite. And he is.

--
"In order to discover who you are, first learn who everybody else is. You're
what's left." - Skip Hansen

Clogwog

Jan 20, 2009, 6:43:59 AM1/20/09
"Snit" <use...@gallopinginsanity.com> schreef in bericht

This HPT hypocrites reply will be "ad hominem attack on Don" and nothing
about the "ad hominem" garbage TV posts here.
Did you see Don's constant whining about "hijacking" threads?, what a
pathetic whining cunt!

High Plains Thumper

Jan 20, 2009, 9:41:06 AM1/20/09
Snit wrote:
> Clogwog stated [knip idiootlampekap raast en tieren]:

> Gee, now that there is a list of quotes about Don, I bet HPT
> jumps into say how that proves Don is what is said about him
> in those quotes.
>
> Oh.
>
> That would only be true if HPT were not a hypocrite. And he
> is.

So Snit (Michael Glasser), AKA Prescott Computer Guy comes to the
rescue of a known ad hominem troll, how sweet.

Snit wrote that because he is trolling, and a known liar. Herein
is an example of an ad hominem attack on me that he performs,
that he vehemently denies as ad hominem when questioned, raging
against dictionary terms.

You can run, but you can't hide.

Here is a list of 121 poster quotes regarding the Snit Circus of
pathological lies:

http://tinyurl.com/9858jv

There are others, but here is a latest:

121- RonB: "Snit is a crank fixated on one issue, who's thing is
twisting your words so he can win an argument against a straw
man. That's enough to killfile him."

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.usenet.kooks/msg/ce8550d4cc5b1b42

Ian Hilliard

Jan 20, 2009, 9:43:01 AM1/20/09
Clogwog wrote:

We can add that to the alien attack insurance.
http://great-ads.blogspot.com/2008/09/funny-commercial-centraal-beheer.html

I know that it is the official Microsoft line that Windows is only attacked
because it is more common. What the trolls never answer is why there isn't
a worm running rife through all the servers running Linux or even why there
is not a huge worm problem with OSX.

The answer is that it is much harder to crack a *ix based system as it is
more secure by design. Criminals always prefer soft targets.

Ian

Snit

Jan 20, 2009, 12:03:00 PM1/20/09
"High Plains Thumper" <highplai...@invalid.invalid> stated in post
4975e283$0$3338$6e1e...@read.cnntp.org on 1/20/09 7:41 AM:

> Snit wrote:
>> Clogwog stated [knip idiootlampekap raast en tieren]:
>>
>> Gee, now that there is a list of quotes about Don, I bet HPT
>> jumps into say how that proves Don is what is said about him
>> in those quotes.
>>
>> Oh.
>>
>> That would only be true if HPT were not a hypocrite. And he
>> is.
>

> So Snit (Michael Glasser), AKA ... comes to the

> rescue of a known ad hominem troll, how sweet.

I noted your hypocrisy. And you are not willing to face it. In fact, you
spread more ad hominem attacks *and* tie them to my business name.

How pathetic!

Seriously, have you no shame? No honor? No sense of self worth?

> Snit wrote that because he is trolling, and a known liar. Herein
> is an example of an ad hominem attack on me that he performs,
> that he vehemently denies as ad hominem when questioned, raging
> against dictionary terms.

Yet you cannot find an example of my doing so.

--
I think the Apple guys have a very good point when they say we should let
designers lead the definition of the user experience.

Don Zeigler

Jan 20, 2009, 6:12:39 PM1/20/09
Snit wrote:

> Seriously, have you no shame? No honor? No sense of self worth?

Who are you, Dr. Phil?
--
I wish Noah had swatted those two flies.

Snit

Jan 20, 2009, 6:31:45 PM1/20/09
"Don Zeigler" <sit...@this.computer> stated in post
20090120231237...@this.domain.or.that on 1/20/09 4:12 PM:

> Snit wrote:
>
>> Seriously, have you no shame? No honor? No sense of self worth?
>
> Who are you, Dr. Phil?

You sure beg for my attention a lot.

--
Never stand between a dog and the hydrant. - John Peers

William Poaster

Jan 20, 2009, 6:43:51 PM1/20/09
On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 23:12:39 +0000, above the shrieking & whining of the
trolls, Don Zeigler was heard to say:

> Snit wrote:
>
>> Seriously, have you no shame? No honor? No sense of self worth?
>
> Who are you, Dr. Phil?

Huh, like Michael Snit Glasser would know anything about shame, honor, & a
sense of self-worth, after his attempt to blackmail someone.

Oh, the irony!

Snit

Jan 20, 2009, 7:03:01 PM1/20/09
"William Poaster" <w...@ubuntu-hardy64.org> stated in post
pan.2009.01.20....@ubuntu-hardy64.org on 1/20/09 4:43 PM:

You sure beg for my attention a lot.

--Aldous Huxley

Sermo Malifer

Jan 21, 2009, 1:52:50 PM1/21/09

I'm hard pressed to find a contribution to Linux advocacy in your reply.

Sermo Malifer

Jan 21, 2009, 1:56:13 PM1/21/09
Don Zeigler wrote:
> This wasn't your typical virus or spyware infection:
>
> She brought her laptop to the office Friday and asked me to take a look at it.
> She's fairly technical and the thing has up to date anti-malware apps.
> According to her, web surfing was slower than normal and even when idle her
> modem lights flashed constantly with activity.
>
> I found an instance of Xitami web server running, along with mIRC. Neither was

> showing up on the taskbar, I found them in the running processes. And neither
> showed up in add/remove programs. The hidden mIRC app was parked on a channel
> whose name was nothing but a long string of characters.
>
> It was a simple matter to get rid of both, but I've never seen anything like
> this. In my mind, it was a really lame attempt by someone to compromise the
> machine. Just goes to show you that even stupid script kiddies are capable of
> getting around anti-malware.

Which anti-malware apps are installed on her computer?

Sermo Malifer

Jan 21, 2009, 5:39:16 PM1/21/09

Perhaps you can explain this message I'm getting from the Synaptic
Package Manager when I select a package to install?

"Warning

You are about to install software that can't be authenticated! Doing
this could allow a malicious individual to damage or take control of
your system."

Chris Ahlstrom

Jan 21, 2009, 5:55:07 PM1/21/09
After takin' a swig o' grog, Sermo Malifer belched out
this bit o' wisdom:

> Clogwog wrote:
>> "Chris Ahlstrom" <ahls...@launchmodem.com> schreef in bericht
>>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Don Zeigler belched out
>>> this bit o' wisdom:

>>> Her EULA does not permit her to run a server without paying! <grin>
>>
>> Here we have it, Liarmutt has a great contribution to linux advocacy:
>> <grin>
>> <grin>
>> <grin>

>> . . .

> I'm hard pressed to find a contribution to Linux advocacy in your reply.

I like using the <grin>.

It pisses off the lamers.

--
Logic is a pretty flower that smells bad.

Chris Ahlstrom

Jan 21, 2009, 5:58:14 PM1/21/09
After takin' a swig o' grog, Sermo Malifer belched out
this bit o' wisdom:

> Ian Hilliard wrote:
>>
>> I know that it is the official Microsoft line that Windows is only attacked
>> because it is more common. What the trolls never answer is why there isn't
>> a worm running rife through all the servers running Linux or even why there
>> is not a huge worm problem with OSX.
>>
>> The answer is that it is much harder to crack a *ix based system as it is
>> more secure by design. Criminals always prefer soft targets.
>

> Perhaps you can explain this message I'm getting from the Synaptic
> Package Manager when I select a package to install?
>
> "Warning
>
> You are about to install software that can't be authenticated! Doing
> this could allow a malicious individual to damage or take control of
> your system."

This has to do with the encrypted keys. For the Ubuntu repositories, you
have the signed key. For the other repositories, however, unless you go
get and install the public key, that warning pops up.

--
"I've finally learned what `upward compatible' means. It means we
get to keep all our old mistakes."

Ian Hilliard

Jan 21, 2009, 6:08:03 PM1/21/09
Sermo Malifer wrote:

It looks like you have a package site in your sites list, where you don't
have a matching security key. In this case, it is not possible to ensure
that packages are not modified and hence, they may contain trojans, which
would allow a malicious individual to damage or take control of your
system. I suggest that you add the security key for the site where the
package came from.

Ian

Sinister Midget

Jan 21, 2009, 6:10:54 PM1/21/09
On 2009-01-21, Sermo Malifer <sermom...@noemail.com> claimed:
> Ian Hilliard wrote:

>> The answer is that it is much harder to crack a *ix based system as it is
>> more secure by design. Criminals always prefer soft targets.

> Perhaps you can explain this message I'm getting from the Synaptic

> Package Manager when I select a package to install?
>
> "Warning
>
> You are about to install software that can't be authenticated! Doing
> this could allow a malicious individual to damage or take control of
> your system."

It means /you/ added something that might be bad. If it isn't bad,
/you/ failed to add the signature that authenticates the site as not
bad, and you'll keep getting that warning until such time as you import
the signature. Either way, *you* added it. It didn't add itself.

Any other qustions?

--
In linux you have to KNOW things.
-- tab

Don Zeigler

Jan 21, 2009, 6:26:51 PM1/21/09
Sermo Malifer wrote:

> Which anti-malware apps are installed on her computer?

Ad-aware, Spybot, Spyware Blaster and Avira Antivirus.
--
Life is sexually transmitted and terminal

Chris Ahlstrom

Jan 21, 2009, 9:47:35 PM1/21/09
After takin' a swig o' grog, Don Zeigler belched out
this bit o' wisdom:

> Sermo Malifer wrote:

>> Which anti-malware apps are installed on her computer?
>
> Ad-aware, Spybot, Spyware Blaster and Avira Antivirus.

There's yer problem... too much software installed.

--
The whole world is a tuxedo and you are a pair of brown shoes.
-- George Gobel