EMERGENCY! I LOST MY WINDOWS DRIVE

gpllover

May 9, 2011, 11:44:39 AM5/9/11
I got a real problem here. I just installed Fedora 14 and when it aksed me
if I wanted to use the entire disk for Linux I said yes. It gave me some
weird error message but I said continue and Fedora unlike Ubuntu installed
fine. I can't boot Windows though and can't locate any of my folders like
My Documents. Any ideas as to where they are? I have important things in
those folders.

An Old Friend

May 9, 2011, 1:14:37 PM5/9/11
On Mon, 09 May 2011 15:44:39 +0000, gpllover chiseled
Xns9EE077...@94.75.214.90 in stone using Trajan:

All of us learn (the hard way) the importance of backing up important
files at some time in our lives.

Kevin Safford

May 9, 2011, 12:17:57 PM5/9/11

Two options:

1. Reinstall from your backups.
2. Put your head between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye.

--
Kevin Safford

flatfish+++

May 9, 2011, 12:20:40 PM5/9/11

Welcome to Linux!!!!

BTW I've been complaining about that cryptic partitioning screen Fedora
has for years.
The Fedora people don't think there is a problem.
There is, as you discovered.

The good news is you are screwed, badly.

The bad news is, you are stuck running Linux!

I hope you had a back up :(

And when you come to your senses, dump Linux and reload Windows, which
you will do, make certain and tell everyone about your miserable
experiences with Linux.

We need to get the word out so others don't mistakenly erase their data
like you did.

It's one way you can turn your bad experience into a good thing.

--
flatfish+++
Please visit our hall of Linux idiots.

Watching Linux Fail:
http://limuxwatch.blogspot.com/

Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead
"By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta
in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory."
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html

Branimir Maksimovic

May 9, 2011, 12:53:29 PM5/9/11
On Mon, 9 May 2011 15:44:39 +0000 (UTC)
gpllover <gpl_...@gpl109000.com> wrote:

Your important things are gone...

Rex Ballard

May 9, 2011, 1:13:04 PM5/9/11
If you ever decide that you want to install Fedora on the same drive as Windows again, make sure you use the "Free Space" option. Normally, the best practices is to clean up your Windows disk as much as possible, defragment the hard drive, then install Fedora, using the "Use available free space" option.

Unfortunately, when you said "use entire hard drive", you told Fedora to REMOVE the Windows partition, and install Linux in it's place.

If you have Windows installation media, which you should be able to order from the people who made your computer, you can install Windows as a virtual machine using KVM (if your CPU supports it, or VMWare.

Ironically, this will result in a FASTER Windows XP system than if you installed it in native mode (assuming you have enough memory - 4 gig reccomended), and will also make it much easier to make future back-ups of Windows, since you can back-up the entire VMWare image.

Unfortunately, Fedora did exactly what you told it to, and cleaned out your hard drive so that all of that hard drive space was used by Linux.

Ezekiel

May 9, 2011, 1:23:14 PM5/9/11

"An Old Friend" <an....@friend.com.invalid> wrote in message

With graduation season approaching there was a story on the local news
recently. A female college student had her laptop stolen from her car and
the laptop had her dissertation that she had been working on for
months/years. She was pleading on the news - she didn't care who broke into
her car and stole the laptop, she just wanted it back "No questions asked."

The question that I'm asking is that if her dissertation was so damn
important then why didn't she back it up. Copy it onto a thumb-drive, email
a copy to yourself. Even if her laptop hadn't been stolen the HDD could
crash, etc.

flatfish+++

May 9, 2011, 1:44:29 PM5/9/11

Because people are basically ignorant.
They think it will neve happen to them.

An Old Friend

May 9, 2011, 3:27:26 PM5/9/11
On Mon, 09 May 2011 13:23:14 -0400, Ezekiel chiseled
iq97u4$qa8$1...@dont-email.me in stone using Trajan:

When I was working on my Master's thesis in the 1990s, I went overboard on
backing things up in a paranoid frenzy. I had ten physical backups ...
five near me, one with my instructor, one at the music school, one in New
Jersey, one in Boulder, CO, and one in San Diego, CA.

Of course, backups of my thesis could fit, compressed, on a 3.5" floppy at
the time, so it was just a matter of sending disks weekly to family
members in those cities. They thought I was being silly. And maybe so. But
if there'd been a hurricane and my data and backups were destroyed
somehow, I wouldn't have to start over.

The cloud and very cheap external hard drives have made backups
practically trivial, but it's still something that people still don't do
as often as they should.

chrisv

May 9, 2011, 2:33:00 PM5/9/11
An Old Friend wrote:

>When I was working on my Master's thesis in the 1990s, I went overboard on
>backing things up in a paranoid frenzy. I had ten physical backups ...
>five near me, one with my instructor, one at the music school, one in New
>Jersey, one in Boulder, CO, and one in San Diego, CA.

Look out, "Ezekiel" might call you a "lying piece of shit" unless you
can that you went overboard backing-things up, and that you had ten
physical backups, etc.

Indeed, "Ezekiel" thinks that the more filthly invective and insults
he spews in your direction, the more it "proves" that you are lying
about your claim, unless you can prove your claim.

"Ezekiel" is a genuine piece of shit!

Ezekiel

May 9, 2011, 2:52:26 PM5/9/11

"An Old Friend" <an....@friend.com.invalid> wrote in message

I have a (physically) small thumbdrive that's on my keychain. Before that I
would just email important things to myself.

What I found peculiar is that several of the local news stations covered
this story. It wasn't just a mention either - they were on the scene,
interviewed the female student and gave the story quite a bit of air-time.

What was weird that not even once did they mention anything like backing up
your computer or at a minimum - backing up your really, really important
files like a dissertation that someone has been working on for a couple of
years. It would have been easy to mention and could have saved someone else
a similar amount of trouble. (Unless the news crew isn't familiar with this
new fangled "backup technology" either.)

chrisv

May 9, 2011, 3:24:31 PM5/9/11
chrisv wrote:

>An Old Friend wrote:
>
>>When I was working on my Master's thesis in the 1990s, I went overboard on
>>backing things up in a paranoid frenzy. I had ten physical backups ...
>>five near me, one with my instructor, one at the music school, one in New
>>Jersey, one in Boulder, CO, and one in San Diego, CA.
>
>Look out, "Ezekiel" might call you a "lying piece of shit" unless you
>can that you went overboard backing-things up,

Should say "can _prove_ that you went overboard".

Norman Peelman

May 9, 2011, 4:00:28 PM5/9/11

You told Fedora to use the entire disk... and it did. And you 'had'
important things, that is no longer the case.

--
Norman
Registered Linux user #461062

Norman Peelman

May 9, 2011, 4:05:28 PM5/9/11
flatfish+++ wrote:
> On Mon, 9 May 2011 15:44:39 +0000 (UTC), gpllover wrote:
>
>> I got a real problem here. I just installed Fedora 14 and when it aksed me
>> if I wanted to use the entire disk for Linux I said yes. It gave me some
>> weird error message but I said continue and Fedora unlike Ubuntu installed
>> fine. I can't boot Windows though and can't locate any of my folders like
>> My Documents. Any ideas as to where they are? I have important things in
>> those folders.
>
> Welcome to Linux!!!!

Would've happened with Windows also, fatfish---

> BTW I've been complaining about that cryptic partitioning screen Fedora
> has for years.
> The Fedora people don't think there is a problem.
> There is, as you discovered.
>
> The good news is you are screwed, badly.
>
> The bad news is, you are stuck running Linux!

How is he stuck with Linux?

> I hope you had a back up :(
>
> And when you come to your senses, dump Linux and reload Windows, which
> you will do, make certain and tell everyone about your miserable
> experiences with Linux.

Which he can't do because you say he is stuck with Linux.

> We need to get the word out so others don't mistakenly erase their data
> like you did.

By accepting to use the whole disk as opposed to side-by-side.

> It's one way you can turn your bad experience into a good thing.

JEDIDIAH

May 9, 2011, 4:31:56 PM5/9/11
On 2011-05-09, Norman Peelman <npee...@cfl.rr.com> wrote:
> gpllover wrote:
>> I got a real problem here. I just installed Fedora 14 and when it aksed me
>> if I wanted to use the entire disk for Linux I said yes. It gave me some
>> weird error message but I said continue and Fedora unlike Ubuntu installed
>> fine. I can't boot Windows though and can't locate any of my folders like
>> My Documents. Any ideas as to where they are? I have important things in
>> those folders.
>
> You told Fedora to use the entire disk... and it did. And you 'had'
> important things, that is no longer the case.

You would get exactly the same result if you told the partitioning
tool in the MacOS installer to do the same thing.

--
Linux: because everyone should get to drink the beer of their |||
choice and not merely be limited to pretensious imports or hard cider. / | \

William Poaster

May 9, 2011, 6:13:00 PM5/9/11
chrisv wrote:

> An Old Friend wrote:
>
>>When I was working on my Master's thesis in the 1990s, I went overboard on
>>backing things up in a paranoid frenzy. I had ten physical backups ...
>>five near me, one with my instructor, one at the music school, one in New
>>Jersey, one in Boulder, CO, and one in San Diego, CA.
>
> Look out, "Ezekiel" might call you a "lying piece of shit" unless you
> can that you went overboard backing-things up, and that you had ten
> physical backups, etc.

Not only that, but the M$ zealot Hadron troll will be all over him
because he has a qualification! You know how the Hadron troll is jealous
of anyone with a degree!

> Indeed, "Ezekiel" thinks that the more filthly invective and insults
> he spews in your direction, the more it "proves" that you are lying
> about your claim, unless you can prove your claim.

Why prove anything to that idiot wintroll.

> "Ezekiel" is a genuine piece of shit!

Brass bound & gold plated. :-)

--
"!sgub evah t'nseod CP sihT ?sgub naem ayaddahW"
"Microsoft has vast resources, literally billions of dollars in cash, or liquid assets reserves.

DFS

May 9, 2011, 6:33:10 PM5/9/11
On 5/9/2011 6:13 PM, William Poaster wrote:
> chrisv wrote:

>> "Ezekiel" is a genuine piece of shit!
>
> Brass bound& gold plated. :-)

Like the one in your head, Dumb Willie.

philo

May 9, 2011, 7:31:58 PM5/9/11
On 05/09/2011 10:44 AM, gpllover wrote:
> I got a real problem here. I just installed Fedora 14 and when it aksed me
> if I wanted to use the entire disk for Linux I said yes.

Then it did exactly that, used the whole drive

Windows is now gone

philo

May 9, 2011, 7:33:25 PM5/9/11

Nah,
if they were important the OP would have had a back up

sidejob scooter

May 9, 2011, 8:02:28 PM5/9/11

Corrected the subject line.

SJS

philo

May 9, 2011, 8:09:15 PM5/9/11

:)

Ezekiel

May 9, 2011, 8:27:32 PM5/9/11

>"Rex Ballard" <rex.b...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>If you have Windows installation media, which you should be able to order
>from the people who made your computer, you can install Windows as a
>virtual machine using KVM (if your CPU supports it, or VMWare.
>
>Ironically, this will result in a FASTER Windows XP system than if you
>installed it in native mode (assuming you have enough memory - 4 gig
>reccomended),

Ironically Rex Ballard is repeating this tired old lie once again. It wasn't
true the first time and it's not true now.

Marti Van Lin

May 9, 2011, 8:46:19 PM5/9/11
Op 09-05-11 17:44, gpllover schreef:

Welcome back "COLA almost got me fired" TAB!

ROTFLMAO

--
|_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin, alias ML2MST
|_|_|0| Registered GNU/Linux user 513040
|0|0|0| http://osg33x.blogspot.com

Sinister Midget III

May 9, 2011, 8:48:26 PM5/9/11
On 2011-05-09, An Old Friend <an....@friend.com.invalid> claimed:

> On Mon, 09 May 2011 15:44:39 +0000, gpllover chiseled
> Xns9EE077...@94.75.214.90 in stone using Trajan:
>
>> I got a real problem here. I just installed Fedora 14 and when it aksed
>> me if I wanted to use the entire disk for Linux I said yes. It gave me
>> some weird error message but I said continue and Fedora unlike Ubuntu
>> installed fine. I can't boot Windows though and can't locate any of my
>> folders like My Documents. Any ideas as to where they are? I have
>> important things in those folders.

So you went looking for a disaster, found it, went looking for a second
disaster and succeeded in finding that, too.

Good show!

> All of us learn (the hard way) the importance of backing up important
> files at some time in our lives.

Most of us are smart enough not to troll, too. But some people, like
the OP, have to learn the hard way.

How long has Flatti been trolling COLA? 15 years or thereabout? And
still using much the same story line, too.

--
(You can have your cake) XOR (You can eat your cake)
Aspire One, Lubuntu 11.04

flatfish+++

May 9, 2011, 9:00:35 PM5/9/11
On Mon, 9 May 2011 19:48:26 -0500, Sinister Midget III wrote:

> On 2011-05-09, An Old Friend <an....@friend.com.invalid> claimed:
>> On Mon, 09 May 2011 15:44:39 +0000, gpllover chiseled
>> Xns9EE077...@94.75.214.90 in stone using Trajan:
>>
>>> I got a real problem here. I just installed Fedora 14 and when it aksed
>>> me if I wanted to use the entire disk for Linux I said yes. It gave me
>>> some weird error message but I said continue and Fedora unlike Ubuntu
>>> installed fine. I can't boot Windows though and can't locate any of my
>>> folders like My Documents. Any ideas as to where they are? I have
>>> important things in those folders.
>
> So you went looking for a disaster, found it, went looking for a second
> disaster and succeeded in finding that, too.
>
> Good show!

Linux is like that.
A disaster that is.

Homer

May 9, 2011, 10:45:14 PM5/9/11
Verily I say unto thee, that Marti Van Lin spake thusly:

> Op 09-05-11 17:44, gpllover schreef:
>
>> I got a real problem here. I just installed Fedora 14 and when it
>> aksed me if I wanted to use the entire disk for Linux I said yes. It
>> gave me some weird error message but I said continue and Fedora
>> unlike Ubuntu installed fine. I can't boot Windows though and can't
>> locate any of my folders like My Documents. Any ideas as to where
>> they are? I have important things in those folders.
>
> Welcome back "COLA almost got me fired" TAB!

Actually it was "Linux almost got me fired for being buggy".

IOW TAB was buggy.

By the looks of the above, I'd day he still is.

--
K. | "Linux hackers are on a mission
http://slated.org | from God" ~ The Vatican

RonB

May 9, 2011, 11:26:06 PM5/9/11
On Mon, 09 May 2011 18:31:58 -0500, philo wrote:

You lucky dog!

--
RonB
Registered Linux User #498581

DFS

May 9, 2011, 11:27:23 PM5/9/11
On 5/9/2011 11:26 PM, RonB wrote:
> On Mon, 09 May 2011 18:31:58 -0500, philo wrote:
>
>> On 05/09/2011 10:44 AM, gpllover wrote:
>>> I got a real problem here. I just installed Fedora 14 and when it aksed
>>> me if I wanted to use the entire disk for Linux I said yes.
>>

>> Then it did exactly that, used the whole drive
>>

>> Windows is now gone
>
> You lucky dog!

uh huh... how's that Windows in a vm working out for you these days, RonG?

flatfish+++

May 9, 2011, 11:39:28 PM5/9/11

I wonder if wRonG believes that Windows applications run under Wine are
really Linux applications like Terry Porter does.

High Plains Thumper

May 9, 2011, 11:53:40 PM5/9/11
gpllover wrote:

> I got a real problem here. I just installed Fedora 14 and when it aksed

> me if I wanted to use the entire disk for Linux I said yes. It gave me
> some weird error message but I said continue and Fedora unlike Ubuntu
> installed fine. I can't boot Windows though and can't locate any of my
> folders like My Documents. Any ideas as to where they are? I have
> important things in those folders.

Oh, I see. Ideas? Here is the real problem:

Same as in:

George <indo...@villige.org>: "I'm looking at moving my current
mastering facility from Protools/Sequoia to a total Harrison based Linux
system. Any advice is appreciated. ~~hpt" 2 Apr 2011, Subject: Migrating
From Protools To Linux. Advice Needed.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.audio.pro/msg/de8933330e6e3410

Rick <wonto...@hotmail.org>: "I doubt you will so I will tell you to get
fucking lost right now you libelous pile of shit. If you don't, your
employer will be contacted and informed of you activities on company time.
20 Apr 2011, Subject: Re: TROLL ALERT - STALKER Migrating From Protools To
Linux

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.audio.pro/msg/d5f04269c8420849

Anna Banger: "With Wendy at the whorehouse and [Homer] smoking grass, HPT
had just settled down for a nice piece of ass. When out on the lawn George
heard such a clatter, he got off his sister to see what was the matter.
And what to his stoned-out eyes should appear, but a shitty old sleigh and
eight fucking reindeer. (Obviously a Linux model sifted from the garbage
bin) With a dirty old man who was beating his dick, George knew in a
moment, it must be St. Nick. (George Hostler is an ex'spurt in the area of
dicks) [...] He swore and cursed as he rode out of sight Linux sucks
dick,,, and piss on you freetards this cold xmas nite." 24 Dec 2010,
Subject "The Night Before Freetard Xmas...."

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/c248af66c880d888

Yup, we know where the problem lies.

--
HPT

Chris Ahlstrom

May 10, 2011, 6:11:36 AM5/10/11
philo wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> On 05/09/2011 10:44 AM, gpllover wrote:
>> I got a real problem here. I just installed Fedora 14 and when it aksed me
>> if I wanted to use the entire disk for Linux I said yes.
>
> Then it did exactly that

> used the whole drive
> Windows is now gone

I reformatted it as haiku for you :-)

--
Hope not, lest ye be disappointed.
-- M. Horner

William Poaster

May 10, 2011, 6:28:50 AM5/10/11
RonB wrote:

> On Mon, 09 May 2011 18:31:58 -0500, philo wrote:
>
>> On 05/09/2011 10:44 AM, gpllover wrote:
>>> I got a real problem here. I just installed Fedora 14 and when it aksed
>>> me if I wanted to use the entire disk for Linux I said yes.
>>

>> Then it did exactly that, used the whole drive
>>
>> Windows is now gone

Excellent job! Congratulations!

(I didn't see the OP, but it's a troll who's posted from

> You lucky dog!

Woof, woof!

--
Windows Breakthrough: It finally booted on the first try.

Sinister Midget III

May 10, 2011, 6:32:57 AM5/10/11
On 2011-05-10, Chris Ahlstrom <ahls...@xzoozy.com> claimed:

> philo wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>
>> On 05/09/2011 10:44 AM, gpllover wrote:
>>> I got a real problem here. I just installed Fedora 14 and when it aksed me
>>> if I wanted to use the entire disk for Linux I said yes.
>>
>> Then it did exactly that
>> used the whole drive
>> Windows is now gone
>
> I reformatted it as haiku for you :-)

I like the other haiku, too:

Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that

--
Buy Land Now. It's Not Being Made Any More.

High Plains Thumper

May 10, 2011, 6:41:07 AM5/10/11
Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
> philo wrote this:

>> gpllover wrote:
>>
>>> I got a real problem here. I just installed Fedora 14 and when it
>>> aksed me if I wanted to use the entire disk for Linux I said yes.
>>
>> Then it did exactly that
>> used the whole drive
>> Windows is now gone
>
> I reformatted it as haiku for you :-)

Mentally ill troll
Expected us to believe
But it lied of course.

Anonymous voice
Astroturfs for Microsoft
Newsgroup under siege.

Linux 'net surfing
OpenOffice composing
No need for Windows.

Heh!

--
HPT

Ezekiel

May 10, 2011, 7:59:50 AM5/10/11

"High Plains Thumper" <h...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

> Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>
> Linux 'net surfing
> OpenOffice composing
> No need for Windows.

You're a liar "George" - it's a *FACT* that you use Adobe Photoshop CS /
Windows to edit those motorcycle photos that you posted. And what OS exactly
does Autodesk Maya run on??? You know - the link to the members-only area
of the warez site that was selling this Windows software for $50.

chrisv

May 10, 2011, 9:08:02 AM5/10/11
Marti Van Lin wrote:

>Op 09-05-11 17:44, gpllover schreef:
>
>> I got a real problem here. I just installed Fedora 14 and when it aksed me
>> if I wanted to use the entire disk for Linux I said yes. It gave me some
>> weird error message but I said continue and Fedora unlike Ubuntu installed
>> fine. I can't boot Windows though and can't locate any of my folders like
>> My Documents. Any ideas as to where they are? I have important things in
>> those folders.
>
>Welcome back "COLA almost got me fired" TAB!
>
>ROTFLMAO

:-D

DFS

May 10, 2011, 3:42:40 PM5/10/11
On 5/10/2011 6:32 AM, Sinister Midget III wrote:
> On 2011-05-10, Chris Ahlstrom<ahls...@xzoozy.com> claimed:
>> philo wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

>>> Then it did exactly that
>>> used the whole drive
>>> Windows is now gone
>>
>> I reformatted it as haiku for you :-)
>
> I like the other haiku, too:
>
> Yesterday it worked
> Today it is not working
> Windows is like that

ml2mst: "I've been working with SUSE since 1998, but for some mysterious
reason, it simply stopped working a couple of months ago."
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/browse_thread/thread/60c783924eb4f472/e578b83a1137b1f5?hl=en&lnk=st&q=#e578b83a1137b1f5

kernel developers just quit working: "Then I quit forever."
http://apcmag.com/interview_with_con_kolivas_part_2_his_effort_to_improve_linux_performance_on_the_desktop.htm

Samba just quits working: "Then some of this suddenly stopped working."

Samba just quits working: "My computer just stopped sharing its folder
(which had worked perfectly) one day"

keyboard just quits working: "While entering data in Krecipes package
keyboard quit inputing characters"
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6617_102-0.html?forumID=11&threadID=269438&messageID=2615582

keyboard just quits working: "..the keyboard would work for awhile and then
just quit."
http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/blog/xjlittle/2007-03-11/Linux_and_the_nx6325_aka_is_there_a_distro_that_will_work_on_this_notebook

yum just quits working: "this has worked for about four months and today it
has stopped working."
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archive/index.php/t-119325.html

network just quits working: "I noticed some times my network will just quit
working and won't reconnect even if i plug it into a cable nothing works and
I have to reboot."

wireless just quits working: "Wireless connection just quits working.
Windows will connect just fine."
http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/lofiversion/index.php/t33604.html

DNS just quits working: "...DNS has just quit working."

printing just quits working: "...printnig would just quit working for all
apps..."
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/debian-linux-help/30890-cant-print-firefox-thunderbird.html

audio player just quits working: "... the Audio Player program just quit
working one day and hasn't worked since."
http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=14453

PCMCIA card just quits working: "...one day, the connection simply quit
working."..."The card works fine in win98se, and I have no problems
connecting to our router, which is a USR8054."
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=26032

graphics just quit working: "When the WU restarted the graphics window did
not come back."
http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/forum_thread.php?id=468

sound just quits working: "I was watching a movie in movie player and the
right sound channel cut out. Then about 10 seconds later, the left cut out.
I rebooted and still no sound. My sound is turned up all the way too. I'm
not sure what I will do. Reinstall something I guess."

Linuxconf just quits working: "Does Linuxconf actually work? When I use it,
it tends to mess up my config files (at least for Apache) and always tell me
some process is taking too long. Sometimes it seems to just quit on me."
http://rasterweb.net/raster/computers/linux.html

Mandriva 2006 just quits working: "My Mandriva2006 just quit working !"
http://dunedin.lug.net.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=42838

User quits Linux: "That did it for me--Linux was "too hard." I quit."
http://www.psychocats.net/essays/linuxswitchstory

DFS

May 10, 2011, 3:45:23 PM5/10/11

You forgot you need it to make a living. How could you forget that?

Marti Van Lin

May 10, 2011, 4:51:45 PM5/10/11
Op 10-05-11 04:45, Homer schreef:

> Verily I say unto thee, that Marti Van Lin spake thusly:
>> Op 09-05-11 17:44, gpllover schreef:
>>
>>> I got a real problem here. I just installed Fedora 14 and when it
>>> aksed me if I wanted to use the entire disk for Linux I said yes. It
>>> gave me some weird error message but I said continue and Fedora
>>> unlike Ubuntu installed fine. I can't boot Windows though and can't
>>> locate any of my folders like My Documents. Any ideas as to where
>>> they are? I have important things in those folders.
>>
>> Welcome back "COLA almost got me fired" TAB!
>
> Actually it was "Linux almost got me fired for being buggy".
>
> IOW TAB was buggy.

Hehe, clearly

> By the looks of the above, I'd day he still is.

My apologies for responding to its drivel. I just couldn't resist, it
knocked me of my socks :-o

Cheers!

Homer

May 10, 2011, 5:12:39 PM5/10/11
Verily I say unto thee, that Marti Van Lin spake thusly:

> My apologies for responding to its drivel. I just couldn't resist, it

> knocked me of my socks :-o

Only someone as thick as TAB could post that story and not be joking.

I shot my dog and now it's dead!
Nobody warned me /that/ would happen!

TAB is a legend among idiots.

William Poaster

May 10, 2011, 6:22:39 PM5/10/11

> Verily I say unto thee, that Marti Van Lin spake thusly:
>
>> My apologies for responding to its drivel. I just couldn't resist, it
>> knocked me of my socks :-o
>
> Only someone as thick as TAB could post that story and not be joking.
>
> I shot my dog and now it's dead!
> Nobody warned me /that/ would happen!
>
> TAB is a legend among idiots.

The Hadron troll's a close second.
Remember the supposed incident of Hadron in a hotel room, hadn't tried
out OpenOffice before? He claimed to start using it the night before a
demonstration (or something) & then claimed it crashed every hour.
Very TAB! LOL

--
A bad random number generator: 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 4.33e+67, 1, 1, 1

DFS

May 10, 2011, 6:44:31 PM5/10/11
On 5/10/2011 6:22 PM, William Poaster wrote:

>> Verily I say unto thee, that Marti Van Lin spake thusly:
>>
>>> My apologies for responding to its drivel. I just couldn't resist, it
>>> knocked me of my socks :-o
>>
>> Only someone as thick as TAB could post that story and not be joking.
>>
>> I shot my dog and now it's dead!
>> Nobody warned me /that/ would happen!
>>
>> TAB is a legend among idiots.
>
> The Hadron troll's a close second.
> Remember the supposed incident of Hadron in a hotel room, hadn't tried
> out OpenOffice before? He claimed to start using it the night before a
> demonstration (or something)& then claimed it crashed every hour.
> Very TAB! LOL

No, I don't remember that, Dumb Willie.

Why don't you prove it?

Hadron

May 10, 2011, 7:07:40 PM5/10/11
DFS <nos...@dfs.com> writes:

He's way off the mark.

There is SOME truth in what he said however.

It was about 3 years ago

And it was nothing to do with me not having tried open office of course.

Kleuskes & Moos

May 10, 2011, 7:16:28 PM5/10/11
On May 9, 5:44 pm, gpllover <gpl_lo...@gpl109000.com> wrote:
> I got a real problem here. I just installed Fedora 14 and when it aksed me
> if I wanted to use the entire disk for Linux I said yes. It gave me some
> weird error message but I said continue and Fedora unlike Ubuntu installed
> fine. I can't boot Windows though and can't locate any of my folders like
> My Documents. Any ideas as to where they are? I have important things in
> those folders.

OUCH! Well.. It's "Requiescat in Pace" for your windows-partition. If
you tell the installer to use the entire disk, it will. That's the
trouble with computers: they do what you tell them to.

My sincere comiserations...

flatfish+++

May 10, 2011, 7:37:50 PM5/10/11

The problem with Fedora is that the partitioning tool has some serious
flaws in it which can and do cause users to screw things up.

For me, the biggest one, and I don't know if Fedora 15 still has this,
but if you have multiple drives and partitions, the install will default
to "touching" several, or possibly even all of them and because the drop
down box hides the other partitions and the suggested layout it's real
easy to screw up if you don't use the scroll bars.

It's the only main stream distro that does this.

With all the screen real estate there is no reason to use scroll bars
for that part of the install.

That of course does not excuse the OP from allowing "use the entire
disk" because warnings, 2 or 3 of them in fact, are popped up.

He did it to himself.

Homer

May 11, 2011, 7:53:47 AM5/11/11
Verily I say unto thee, that William Poaster spake thusly:

>> TAB is a legend among idiots.

> The Hadron troll's a close second.
> Remember the supposed incident of Hadron in a hotel room, hadn't tried
> out OpenOffice before? He claimed to start using it the night before
> a demonstration (or something) & then claimed it crashed every hour.
> Very TAB! LOL

Yes, that was a classic.

Although in Hadron's case I think he was simply lying.

I can believe he'd be stupid enough to leave familiarising himself with
a tool until the moment he needs to use it to produce something crucial,
but the "crashed every hour" claim seems like pure hyperbole at best. In
reality, OpenOffice didn't crash, because he didn't use it in that hotel
room, because there was no hotel room, because there was no hotel,
because there was no demonstration, because there was no work for him to
do and there was no job that required him to do that work.

Burger King don't send their burger flippers to conferences. In Hadron's
case, they send him to remedial school instead, so he can learn to count
and understand basic instructions.

--
K. | "Linux hackers are on a mission
http://slated.org | from God" ~ The Vatican
Fedora 8 (Werewolf) on šky |

kernel 2.6.31.5, up 85 days | http://tinyurl.com/linuxmission

philo

May 12, 2011, 6:41:24 PM5/12/11
On 05/10/2011 05:11 AM, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
> philo wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>
>> On 05/09/2011 10:44 AM, gpllover wrote:
>>> I got a real problem here. I just installed Fedora 14 and when it aksed me
>>> if I wanted to use the entire disk for Linux I said yes.
>>
>> Then it did exactly that
>> used the whole drive
>> Windows is now gone
>
> I reformatted it as haiku for you :-)