[News] Microsoft Already Works on XP SP4 (AKA Vista SP1)

Roy Schestowitz

Oct 13, 2006, 5:59:17 AM10/13/06
Microsoft puts the post-Vista wheels in motion

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows Vista is not fully baked, but that doesn't mean senior management
| isn't already thinking about "Vista+1" as they like to call the next
| Windows client release...
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=45

This name may be an implication that Vista is not satisfactory [1], as judged
by Microsoft's own eyes. What surprises me is that they still neglect
Singularity and ignore the need to rewrite [2,3]. Below are some very
relevant (and recent) articles.

___
[1] Vista still not ready for prime time (published yesterday)

,----[ Quote ]
| The overall quality of this $399 Windows Vista Ultimate edition
| isn't deserving of final-release-candidate status, says CNET's Robert
| Vamosi. Expect to see at least one more interim build or perhaps even
| another release candidate soon.
`----

http://news.com.com/1606-2_3-6124945.html?part=rss&tag=6124945&subj=news

[2]

,----[ Quote ]
| "Up to 60% of the code in the new consumer version of Microsoft new Vista
| operating system is set to be rewritten as the Company 'scrambles' to fix
| internal problems a Microsoft insider has confirmed to SHN... Microsoft has
| also admitted that it has major problems in it's Windows division and has
| has immediately initiated a total restructure of the division..."
`----

http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Computing/Platforms?Article=/Computing/Platforms/R7G5G6U4

[3] In Depth: The Next Windows After Vista Will Demand Radical Rethinking
From Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is at a crossroads, and the operating system that follows
| Vista will likely mark a serious break from the past. That is, if
| Microsoft can figure out how to do things differently.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=192501131&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_All

Oliver Wong

Oct 13, 2006, 11:32:38 AM10/13/06
"Roy Schestowitz" <newsg...@schestowitz.com> wrote in message

> Microsoft puts the post-Vista wheels in motion
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Windows Vista is not fully baked, but that doesn't mean senior
> management
> | isn't already thinking about "Vista+1" as they like to call the next
> | Windows client release...
> `----

Wait, I don't get it... Is this XP SP4, Vista SP1, or Vista+1? Can you
clarify this, Roy? Your headlines are confusing me. I can't tell which names
are your invention, and which are the proper names that Microsoft decided
on.

> This name may be an implication that Vista is not satisfactory [1], as
> judged
> by Microsoft's own eyes.

That's not what it implies to me. Software development houses tend to
think a few versions ahead. Eclipse 3.3 was being planned while 3.2 was
still in release candidate stage. Sun is accepting proposals for feature
requests in Java 1.7, although 1.6 has not yet been released. Sony is
already working on the PS4, and the PS3 isn't out yet.

> What surprises me is that they still neglect
> Singularity and ignore the need to rewrite [2,3].

What makes you believe they are neglecting Singularity?

- Oliver

Erik Funkenbusch

Oct 13, 2006, 2:10:14 PM10/13/06
On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 10:59:17 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Microsoft puts the post-Vista wheels in motion
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Windows Vista is not fully baked, but that doesn't mean senior management
>| isn't already thinking about "Vista+1" as they like to call the next
>| Windows client release...
> `----
>
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=45
>
> This name may be an implication that Vista is not satisfactory [1], as judged
> by Microsoft's own eyes. What surprises me is that they still neglect
> Singularity and ignore the need to rewrite [2,3]. Below are some very
> relevant (and recent) articles

You really have no clue what you're talking about, Roy.

> ,----[ Quote ]
>| The overall quality of this $399 Windows Vista Ultimate edition
>| isn't deserving of final-release-candidate status, says CNET's Robert
>| Vamosi. Expect to see at least one more interim build or perhaps even
>| another release candidate soon.
> `----
>
> http://news.com.com/1606-2_3-6124945.html?part=rss&tag=6124945&subj=news
>
> [2]
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| "Up to 60% of the code in the new consumer version of Microsoft new Vista
>| operating system is set to be rewritten as the Company 'scrambles' to fix
>| internal problems a Microsoft insider has confirmed to SHN... Microsoft has
>| also admitted that it has major problems in it's Windows division and has
>| has immediately initiated a total restructure of the division..."
> `----
>
> http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Computing/Platforms?Article=/Computing/Platforms/R7G5G6U4
>
> [3] In Depth: The Next Windows After Vista Will Demand Radical Rethinking
> From Microsoft
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Microsoft is at a crossroads, and the operating system that follows
>| Vista will likely mark a serious break from the past. That is, if
>| Microsoft can figure out how to do things differently.
> `----
>
> http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=192501131&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_All

Amazing!

Message has been deleted

Erik Funkenbusch

Oct 13, 2006, 5:54:31 PM10/13/06
On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 16:53:44 -0400, flatfish+++ wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 10:59:17 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>

>> Microsoft puts the post-Vista wheels in motion
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Windows Vista is not fully baked, but that doesn't mean senior management
>>| isn't already thinking about "Vista+1" as they like to call the next
>>| Windows client release...
>> `----
>>
>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=45
>>
>> This name may be an implication that Vista is not satisfactory [1], as judged
>> by Microsoft's own eyes. What surprises me is that they still neglect
>> Singularity and ignore the need to rewrite [2,3]. Below are some very
>> relevant (and recent) articles.
>>

>> ___
>> [1] Vista still not ready for prime time (published yesterday)
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| The overall quality of this $399 Windows Vista Ultimate edition
>>| isn't deserving of final-release-candidate status, says CNET's Robert
>>| Vamosi. Expect to see at least one more interim build or perhaps even
>>| another release candidate soon.
>> `----
>>

>> http://news.com.com/1606-2_3-6124945.fhtml?part=rss&tag=6124945&subj=news

>> [2]
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| "Up to 60% of the code in the new consumer version of Microsoft new
>>| Vista operating system is set to be rewritten as the Company
>>| 'scrambles' to fix internal problems a Microsoft insider has confirmed
>>| to SHN... Microsoft has also admitted that it has major problems in
>>| it's Windows division and has has immediately initiated a total
>>| restructure of the division..."
>> `----
>>

>> http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Comhputing/Platforms?Article=/Computing/Platforms/R7G5G6U4

>> [3] In Depth: The Next Windows After Vista Will Demand Radical
>> Rethinking From Microsoft
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Microsoft is at a crossroads, and the operating system that follows
>>| Vista will likely mark a serious break from the past. That is, if
>>| Microsoft can figure out how to do things differently.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=192501131&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_All
>

> Another on topic article brought to you by Roy.

He's so good at it.

Jerry McBride

Oct 15, 2006, 12:31:10 PM10/15/06
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

Do you think the above quote means that there will be a consumer and
a "non-consumer" version of Vista? And if it's STILL set to be rewritten,
thy had better hurry...

--

Jerry McBride

Oliver Wong

Oct 16, 2006, 10:45:34 AM10/16/06

"Oliver Wong" <ow...@castortech.com> wrote in message

> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsg...@schestowitz.com> wrote in message
>> Microsoft puts the post-Vista wheels in motion
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Windows Vista is not fully baked, but that doesn't mean senior
>> management
>> | isn't already thinking about "Vista+1" as they like to call the next
>> | Windows client release...
>> `----
>
> Wait, I don't get it... Is this XP SP4, Vista SP1, or Vista+1? Can you
> clarify this, Roy? Your headlines are confusing me. I can't tell which
> names are your invention, and which are the proper names that Microsoft
> decided on.
>

>> This name may be an implication that Vista is not satisfactory [1], as
>> judged
>> by Microsoft's own eyes.
>
> That's not what it implies to me. Software development houses tend to
> think a few versions ahead. Eclipse 3.3 was being planned while 3.2 was
> still in release candidate stage. Sun is accepting proposals for feature
> requests in Java 1.7, although 1.6 has not yet been released. Sony is
> already working on the PS4, and the PS3 isn't out yet.

Further evidence, and perhaps an indication of double standard, Firefox
2 isn't out yet, but Mozilla is already planning Firefox 3. Does this imply
that Firefox is not satisfactory, as judged by Mozilla's own eyes?

http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/dbdefeccb60026f2

- Oliver

Erik Funkenbusch

Oct 16, 2006, 6:33:00 PM10/16/06
On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 14:45:34 GMT, Oliver Wong wrote:

>> Wait, I don't get it... Is this XP SP4, Vista SP1, or Vista+1? Can you
>> clarify this, Roy? Your headlines are confusing me. I can't tell which
>> names are your invention, and which are the proper names that Microsoft
>> decided on.

You know, it's funny how Roy changes his tune so much. In one article
he'll comment about how Vista has 60% new code and will thus have all kinds
of vulnerabilities. In the next he'll claim there's nothing new in Vista
but a new skin and call it SP3.

flatfish+++

Oct 16, 2006, 10:05:40 PM10/16/06

It's a classic sign of a diseased mind.

Roy Schestowitz

Oct 23, 2006, 6:52:00 AM10/23/06
__/ [ Oliver Wong ] on Monday 16 October 2006 15:45 \__

SP is not a subsequent revision (version). It's a fix/mod. Mozilla isn't yet
working on 2.0.1 ARAICT.

Best wishes,

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz | Kernel panic - more exciting than being /.'ted
roy pts/9 Sun Oct 22 13:52 - 13:52 (00:00)

Oliver Wong

Oct 23, 2006, 11:20:41 AM10/23/06

> SP is not a subsequent revision (version). It's a fix/mod.

What criteria(s) do you use to differentiate between these two?

> Mozilla isn't yet
> working on 2.0.1 ARAICT.

Perhaps not, but they my claim is that they are working on Firefox 3.
What's the relevance of your statement?

- Oliver