.net causes outage at London stock exchange ..

Doug Mentohl

Nov 11, 2007, 1:43:47 PM11/11/07
"The outage hit shortly before close of trading and forced the exchange
to extend its closing auction by a hour and a half, from 4.30pm until
6pm. Even so it was reported that that some traders left for the day
with trades unexecuted"

"Infolect was launched two years ago in place of the exchange’s London
Market Information Link platform. It uses Microsoft .net technology and
a SQL Server database"

http://www.cio.co.uk/concern/security/news/index.cfm?articleid=2248&pagtype=allchantopdate

I figure it's cause too many people are pressing the SELL key to quickly
in sucession ..

http://news.independent.co.uk/business/news/article3146474.ece

"Working with Microsoft and Accenture, the London Stock Exchange
replaced its London Market Information Link (LMIL®) system with
Infolect®. It used the Microsoft® .NET Framework, the Microsoft Visual
C#® .NET development tool, and the Microsoft SQL Server™ 2000 database"

http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/a/0/3a0b6465-a87c-45c0-92c8-4cfd8b4415b6/LSE_WinServ03_Final.doc

Roy Schestowitz

Nov 11, 2007, 5:11:47 PM11/11/07
____/ Doug Mentohl on Sunday 11 November 2007 18:43 : \____

> http://download.mic...E_WinServ03_Final.doc
^^^

Doug, I want to "Get the Facts" (yes, I hear that the London Stock Exchange is
like the 'model deployment' and Microsoft's pride), but is the file above safe
to open? I mean, you know, will I not become part of a botnet that harvests my
documents and then steals my identity and empties my bank account?

--
~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz | "Free the mind, the source will follow"
22:05:03 up 12 days, 2:16, 3 users, load average: 3.76, 3.39, 2.72

[H]omer

Nov 12, 2007, 3:36:10 AM11/12/07
Verily I say unto thee, that Doug Mentohl spake thusly:

> "Working with Microsoft and Accenture, the London Stock Exchange
> replaced its London Market Information Link (LMIL®) system with
> Infolect®. It used the Microsoft® .NET Framework, the Microsoft
> Visual C#® .NET development tool, and the Microsoft SQL Server™ 2000
> database"
>
> http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/a/0/3a0b6465-a87c-45c0-92c8-4cfd8b4415b6/LSE_WinServ03_Final.doc

Yet another reason to avoid C# like the plague.

And to think that certain people fight venomously to adopt this garbage
into GNU/Linux.

WTF is the FTSE being run on Microsoft's toy software? For that matter,
WTF is *anything* of a mission critical nature being run on Microsoft's
toy software?

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "[Microsoft] are willing to lose money for years and years just to
| make sure that you don't make any money, either." - Bob Cringely.
| - http://blog.businessofsoftware.org/2007/07/cringely-the-un.html
`----

Fedora release 7 (Moonshine) on sky, running kernel 2.6.22.9-91.fc7

Mark Kent

Nov 12, 2007, 7:28:53 AM11/12/07
[H]omer <sp...@uce.gov> espoused:

> Verily I say unto thee, that Doug Mentohl spake thusly:
>
>> "Working with Microsoft and Accenture, the London Stock Exchange
>> replaced its London Market Information Link (LMIL®) system with
>> Infolect®. It used the Microsoft® .NET Framework, the Microsoft
>> Visual C#® .NET development tool, and the Microsoft SQL Server? 2000

>> database"
>>
>> http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/a/0/3a0b6465-a87c-45c0-92c8-4cfd8b4415b6/LSE_WinServ03_Final.doc
>
> Yet another reason to avoid C# like the plague.
>
> And to think that certain people fight venomously to adopt this garbage
> into GNU/Linux.
>
> WTF is the FTSE being run on Microsoft's toy software? For that matter,
> WTF is *anything* of a mission critical nature being run on Microsoft's
> toy software?

Because they'd like to bring us "black December, the month where the
UK's economy was brought to its knees, and when 85% of the world's major
banks had to cease trading..."

Whichever buffoon agreed to this should team up with Ashley Highfield,
Eric Huggers and Alistair Farquarson (British Library) and they can all
go to Microsoft heaven together...

Doug Mentohl

Nov 12, 2007, 8:54:17 AM11/12/07
On 12 Nov, 12:28, Mark Kent <mark.k...@demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Because they'd like to bring us "black December, the month where the UK's economy was brought to its knees, and when 85% of the world's major banks had to cease trading..."

Where is funkenbusch when we here on COLA need correcting .. :)

Tim Smith: lets talk about how neither Linux or Windows is suitable
for voting machines
Erik FUD: Yes lets do ..
Martha Adams: Me too, ohh please ...

Mark Kent

Nov 12, 2007, 9:56:10 AM11/12/07
Doug Mentohl <doug_m...@linuxmail.org> espoused:

Go on, escrow me hard, baby... ;-)

Doug Mentohl

Nov 13, 2007, 5:59:30 AM11/13/07
On 12 Nov, 14:56, Mark Kent <mark.k...@demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Doug Mentohl <doug_ment...@linuxmail.org> espoused:

>> Tim Smith: lets talk about how neither Linux or Windows is suitable
>> for voting machines
>> Erik FUD: Yes lets do ..
>> Martha Adams: Me too, ohh please ...

> Go on, escrow me hard, baby... ;-)

Erik FUD: talk dirty to me babe, say windows isn^t reentrant ...
ooouhhhgggg .....

cc

Nov 13, 2007, 6:10:27 AM11/13/07

You two are some kinky fellas...