I never thought i'd say this...

Erik Funkenbusch

Aug 27, 2006, 3:04:37 AM8/27/06
I finally broke down and installed IE7 RC1 permanently on my desktop (prior
to this, i'd run it in a virtual machine so I could keep IE6 and 7 running
together, now i'm going to go the opposite and do IE6 in a VM for web
development testing purposes).

I never thought i'd say this, but I'm actually starting to like tabbed
browsing a bit. I still think it violates many of the visibility rules of
good UI design, but it has it's uses. I think, however, most of my reasons
for liking it in IE7 are related to IE's implementation of it.

There are a few key features of IE7 that I think make tabbed browsing
easier to use than in FF.

First, I like the "new tab" tab. In FF you have to go to a menu, type a
key combination, or customize the toolbar to add a "new tab" button, which
is up in the toolbar rather than in the tab area, so it's more work to get
to. I know some of you will probably consider this a nit pick, but i use
the mouse most of the time, and only hit the keyboard when necessary.

Second, I have a very wide monitor (1920x1200) and FF puts it's close tab
button over on the right side of the window, which again means moving the
mouse across the screen to close a tab (or right clicking on the tab which
I find less intuitive). FF 2 beta has the x on the tab, like IE7, but it
has a critical flaw. The x is visible on all tabs, so if you click on a
tab without being careful, you can accidentally close it if you hit the x.
IE7 only puts the x on the currently active tab, so if you are going to
select another tab you can't accidentally close it. In fact, this issue is
my #1 gripe with FF (The X on the far right).

Third, the QuickTabs feature really makes it easier to see what tab is
what.

Fourth, I really like the combined forward/backwards menu. It really makes
much more sense than two seperate menus, since you're really just moving
back and forth through the same space...

Fifth, it uses a HELL of a lot less resources than FF with multiple tabs
open, even with turning off the page render buffers.

Sixth, you can link multiple pages to your home page really easily and
create tab groups...

Seventh, it renders faster than FF IMO, though I haven't timed it.

Things FF still has over IE?

Inline search - much nicer
Developer Toolbar (ie has one too, but FF's has more features)

That's about it. Yes, I know you can get plug-ins for FF to address some
of these issues, but that really just adds to the memory overhead issues of
FF.

I might even start to like tabbed browsing in FF if they can fix the issues
i mentioned.

Bobbie

Aug 27, 2006, 4:06:50 AM8/27/06
On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 02:04:37 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> I finally broke down and installed IE7 RC1 permanently on my desktop (prior
> to this, i'd run it in a virtual machine so I could keep IE6 and 7 running
> together, now i'm going to go the opposite and do IE6 in a VM for web
> development testing purposes).
>
> I never thought i'd say this, but I'm actually starting to like tabbed
> browsing a bit. I still think it violates many of the visibility rules of
> good UI design, but it has it's uses. I think, however, most of my reasons
> for liking it in IE7 are related to IE's implementation of it.
>
> There are a few key features of IE7 that I think make tabbed browsing
> easier to use than in FF.
>
> First, I like the "new tab" tab. In FF you have to go to a menu, type a
> key combination, or customize the toolbar to add a "new tab" button, which
> is up in the toolbar rather than in the tab area, so it's more work to get
> to. I know some of you will probably consider this a nit pick, but i use
> the mouse most of the time, and only hit the keyboard when necessary.

I don't know about you, but even with my right hand on the mouse a quick
CTRL-T with the left is very easy.
--
Bobbie the Triple Killer
http://members.shaw.ca/bobbie4/index.htm

email Bobbie @ bobbie4R...@shaw.ca
remember to 'remove this'

Bobbie recently switched to Ubuntu 6.
Why? Cause he can, that's why.

Ian Hilliard

Aug 27, 2006, 5:15:31 AM8/27/06
Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

It is pretty well clear to the whole world that you have no personal
opinions. Your opinions belong to Microsoft. If Microsoft don't have
Tabbed-Browsing and say Tabbed-Browsing is bad, you say it is bad. When
Microsoft innovates Tabbed-Browsing, suddenly it is good. A little bit of
face saving needs to be thrown in for good measure.

Most people in COLA have stopped listening to your opinion, because it is
easier to look it up at technet.microsoft.com.

Ian

7

Aug 27, 2006, 9:11:32 AM8/27/06
asstroturfer Erik Funkenbusch wrote on behalf of micoshaft:

> I finally broke down and installed IE7 RC1 permanently on my desktop
> (prior to this, i'd run it in a virtual machine so I could keep IE6 and 7
> running together, now i'm going to go the opposite and do IE6 in a VM for
> web development testing purposes).
>
> I never thought i'd say this, but I'm actually starting to like tabbed
> browsing a bit. I still think it violates many of the visibility rules of
> good UI design, but it has it's uses. I think, however, most of my
> reasons for liking it in IE7 are related to IE's implementation of it.

I never had any doubts I would have to say this... but here... goes..

You are a FIRST CLASS IDIOT toeing the PR line of micoshaft and its
new selling tack for browser features that mainstream public
have been using for years, particularly under GNU/Linux.

It is a total shame that shills like you are a waste of space
spamming and sperming unrelated newsgroups with your micoshaft crap.

There is no one interested here in your micoshaft asstroturfing
here. And its high time you abandoned your paying micoshaft OS
and switch to GNU/Linux and become a decent person.

There are hundreds of Linux liveCDs here...
http://www.livecdlist.com
where you can experience tabbed browsing for free.

You can experience virtual machine too for free e.g. under
knoppix. If you download for example PC OS Linux you type
qemu -cdrom pcoslinux-big-daddy.iso -boot d &
and hey presto up pops the liveCD running in a virtual PC
window and in there you get a really nice OS with all sorts
of configuration options as well as looks similar to dreamlinux
which is much better than any pay software available on the
market today.

Kier

Aug 27, 2006, 9:17:17 AM8/27/06
On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 13:11:32 +0000, 7 wrote:

> asstroturfer Erik Funkenbusch wrote on behalf of micoshaft:
>
>> I finally broke down and installed IE7 RC1 permanently on my desktop
>> (prior to this, i'd run it in a virtual machine so I could keep IE6 and 7
>> running together, now i'm going to go the opposite and do IE6 in a VM for
>> web development testing purposes).
>>
>> I never thought i'd say this, but I'm actually starting to like tabbed
>> browsing a bit. I still think it violates many of the visibility rules of
>> good UI design, but it has it's uses. I think, however, most of my
>> reasons for liking it in IE7 are related to IE's implementation of it.
>

> I never had any doubts I would have to say this... but here... goes..
>
> You are a FIRST CLASS IDIOT toeing the PR line of micoshaft and its
> new selling tack for browser features that mainstream public
> have been using for years, particularly under GNU/Linux.
>
> It is a total shame that shills like you are a waste of space
> spamming and sperming unrelated newsgroups with your micoshaft crap.
>
> There is no one interested here in your micoshaft asstroturfing
> here. And its high time you abandoned your paying micoshaft OS
> and switch to GNU/Linux and become a decent person.

You might get more people to listen to you if you dropped your silly
babytalk 'micoshaft' crap. It doesn't make Microsoft look bad, it
just makes you look a complete twat.

--
Kier

Sinister Midget

Aug 27, 2006, 10:06:40 AM8/27/06
On 2006-08-27, Erik Funkenbusch <er...@despam-funkenbusch.com> posted something concerning:

> I finally broke down and installed IE7 RC1 permanently on my desktop (prior
> to this, i'd run it in a virtual machine so I could keep IE6 and 7 running
> together, now i'm going to go the opposite and do IE6 in a VM for web
> development testing purposes).
>
> I never thought i'd say this, but I'm actually starting to like tabbed
> browsing a bit. I still think it violates many of the visibility rules of
> good UI design, but it has it's uses. I think, however, most of my reasons
> for liking it in IE7 are related to IE's implementation of it.

You always start liking things once the monopolists "innovate" them.

I haven't seen how Mickeysoft does tabs. But if the way they do a
number of other things that they "innovated" from other sources is any
indication, it's probably goofy. Like the way they innovated multiple
desktops, for example.

I'm not surprised you like it. I'd be far more surprised if you didn't,
or if you did but failed to come sings its praises to we heathens.

Basically what you go on to describe is either available on a FF
default* install or it's available as an extension** to accomplish it.

I haven't tried FF 2.0 yet. I guess I should so I know what new ideas
M$ is going to dream up for the next release. Or I could just wait to
see what you hate about it. The monopolists will "invent" those ideas
and you'll love them afterward.

How about these?

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2324/
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1955/
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2688/
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/112/
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/777/
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2914/
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2224/
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1419/
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2558/
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1368/
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1337/
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/158/
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1768/
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2174/
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1122/
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1956/
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1937/
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1859/
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1874/

That's just tabs. And not even half of the ones available.

* As in

about:config
browser.tabs.opentabfor.middleclick default boolean true

** Such as:

about:config
extensions.aios.menus.sidebar.paneltab default boolean false

OR

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1950/

--
To mess up a linux box, you need to work _at_ it.
To mess up a Windows box, you need to work _on_ it.

Sinister Midget

Aug 27, 2006, 10:12:42 AM8/27/06
On 2006-08-27, Ian Hilliard <nos...@hilliardtech.com> posted something concerning:

> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>
>> I finally broke down and installed IE7 RC1 permanently on my desktop
>> (prior to this, i'd run it in a virtual machine so I could keep IE6 and 7
>> running together, now i'm going to go the opposite and do IE6 in a VM for
>> web development testing purposes).
>>
>> I never thought i'd say this, but I'm actually starting to like tabbed
>> browsing a bit. I still think it violates many of the visibility rules of
>> good UI design, but it has it's uses. I think, however, most of my
>> reasons for liking it in IE7 are related to IE's implementation of it.

> It is pretty well clear to the whole world that you have no personal

> opinions. Your opinions belong to Microsoft. If Microsoft don't have
> Tabbed-Browsing and say Tabbed-Browsing is bad, you say it is bad. When
> Microsoft innovates Tabbed-Browsing, suddenly it is good. A little bit of
> face saving needs to be thrown in for good measure.
>
> Most people in COLA have stopped listening to your opinion, because it is
> easier to look it up at technet.microsoft.com.

Sometimes it's good to pay attention to Erik. It's possible that M$
have formed a stance on something that we haven't heard about yet. In
which case, we can usually see Erik praising whatever it is within a
day.

--
I'm not one of those who think Bill Gates is the devil. I simply suspect
that if Microsoft ever met up with the devil, it wouldn't need an

Linonut

Aug 27, 2006, 10:12:10 AM8/27/06
After takin' a swig o' grog, Erik Funkenbusch belched out this bit o' wisdom:

> I never thought i'd say this, but I'm actually starting to like tabbed
> browsing a bit. I still think it violates many of the visibility rules of
> good UI design, but it has it's uses.

Obviously, since Microsoft software is eaten up with tabbed dialog
boxes.

> I think, however, most of my reasons
> for liking it in IE7 are related to IE's implementation of it.
>

> I might even start to like tabbed browsing in FF if they can fix the issues
> i mentioned.

Erik Funkenbusch, IE7 apologist.

Anyway, who cares? You'll have to drag most of us to that app, kicking
and screaming.

We much prefer Linux, OSS, and Free software here, remember?

--
"He's dead, Jim!"

7

Aug 27, 2006, 10:15:38 AM8/27/06
Kier wrote:

If you knew anything about free speech in UK you would
take that back pupp...t

spi...@freenet.co.uk

Aug 27, 2006, 10:32:03 AM8/27/06
7 <website_...@www.enemygadgets.com> did eloquently scribble:

> If you knew anything about free speech in UK you would
> take that back pupp...t

Seems we know more about it than your country does these days.
We don't have any stupid "patriot" act bollocks to look over our shoulder
about.
| spi...@freenet.co.uk | Windows95 (noun): 32 bit extensions and a |

Linonut

Aug 27, 2006, 10:32:36 AM8/27/06
After takin' a swig o' grog, Kier belched out this bit o' wisdom:

"asstroturfing" is pretty funny, though, especially in regard to Erik's
"Microsoft brown-nosing" propensity.

--
"Take her in for regrooving." -- The Firesign Theatre

7

Aug 27, 2006, 10:33:01 AM8/27/06
Sinister Midget wrote:

Well,,, Earwax Funk will only love them after micoshaft
has confirmed it has filed software patents on them.

Kier

Aug 27, 2006, 11:37:41 AM8/27/06

This had nothing to do with free speech. Say what you like, but say it
properly, in an intelligent manner, without allthe stupid and childish
crap like 'asstroturfer' and 'micoshaft' and maybe you will sway more
readers to you point of view. As it is, you just make yourself look
stupid, and bring Linux into disrepute.

--
Kier

Kier

Aug 27, 2006, 11:43:56 AM8/27/06

Yeah, but it's only funny *once*. Much more than that and it ceases to be
amusing and becomes annoying and childish. It obscures the message.
Outsiders will look at it and say, These Linux people are idiots, they
can't even spell correctly, and they talk like backward children in a
playground. Is that the kind of image we Linux advocates want to put
forward?

--
Kier

William Poaster

Aug 27, 2006, 10:47:06 AM8/27/06
This message was posted on Usenet, NOT JLAforums, & on Sun, 27 Aug 2006

09:32:36 -0500, Linonut wrote:

And as for "microshaft" it's what Microsoft do, they "shaft"
people....customers, partners, hardware manufacturers etc. As for looking
a twat, I suppose it's better than looking naive by responding to every
post a wintroll makes.

--
Linux is not a desktop OS for people
whose VCRs are still flashing "12:00".

Hadron Quark

Aug 27, 2006, 11:18:29 AM8/27/06
William Poaster <w...@suseoss101.eu> writes:

Using words like "microshaft" really just makes you look like a paranoid
wannabee : Windows is the best selling OS ever (all versions) but most
people never directly bought it anyway - so they werent shafted. It came
the OEM route, and does indeed work for 99.9% of users who wish to do a
bit of home accounting and play the latest action games.

All that said, there is some truth in your .sg : Linux is NOT for people
who want an OS to run their apps and be productive from day one. Its for
people who like to tinker, compile and tweak. I guess thats why most
offices will never install Linux : they cant afford the "downtime"
needed to train people up. A shame.

Kier

Aug 27, 2006, 12:33:53 PM8/27/06
On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 17:18:29 +0200, Hadron Quark wrote:

> William Poaster <w...@suseoss101.eu> writes:

>> Linux is not a desktop OS for people
>> whose VCRs are still flashing "12:00".
>> That eliminates a lot of wintrolls then.
>
> Using words like "microshaft" really just makes you look like a paranoid
> wannabee : Windows is the best selling OS ever (all versions) but most
> people never directly bought it anyway - so they werent shafted. It came
> the OEM route, and does indeed work for 99.9% of users who wish to do a
> bit of home accounting and play the latest action games.
>
> All that said, there is some truth in your .sg : Linux is NOT for people
> who want an OS to run their apps and be productive from day one. Its for

Not true. It *can* be for the geeks and tweakers of this world, but it
just as easily can be for Mr A. Bod. PCLinux OS will do it, for a start. I
may clash with flatty, but in his assessment of PCLOS he's correcet. It
just works. When I used it, the only extra thing I had to install was
libDVDcss, and that was a couple of clicks in the package manager. And not
everyone wants to watch DVDs on their PC. I only do because I don't
currently have a DVD player hooked up to my TV

> people who like to tinker, compile and tweak. I guess thats why most
> offices will never install Linux : they cant afford the "downtime"
> needed to train people up. A shame.

How much training do you suppose is needed? Most office-type apps work in
a similar fashion.

--
Kier

7

Aug 27, 2006, 12:04:15 PM8/27/06
Kier wrote:

If you are posting to sway readers, good luck to you.

B Gruff

Aug 27, 2006, 11:06:53 AM8/27/06
On Sunday 27 August 2006 16:18 Hadron Quark wrote:

> Windows is the best selling OS ever (all versions) but most
> people never directly bought it anyway - so they werent shafted. It came
> the OEM route, and does indeed work for 99.9% of users who wish to do a
> bit of home accounting and play the latest action games.

I'm having trouble following your "logic" there.
I can appreciate that somebody who weighed the pros and cons, and made a
conscious decision to actually *buy* something would not be "shafted", but
how do you arrive at that conclusion with respect to somebody not being
asked, being unaware that there *is* a cost involved, being unaware that a
huge monopoly is making a lot of money through the OEM system, being
unaware that there is/should be an alternative, and paying for it anyway?

If I understand the term "shafted", it seems to me to sum up quite well the
situation with respect to the 99.9% of users to whom you allude.
(where do you get your figures btw? Silly wintroll observations re. Linux
apart, I would have thought that you were in some error with that 99.9% if
only on account of Macs alone)

Kier

Aug 27, 2006, 1:11:14 PM8/27/06

Well, if *you* aren't, what the hell are you here for?

Me, I come here partly to advocate, but also to chat/have fun.

When I'm advocating I do it in plain English. You should try it sometime.

--
Kier

7

Aug 27, 2006, 12:13:18 PM8/27/06
Linonut wrote:

Correcctttt!!!!
Spare a thought for some the hard work gone into these innocent
looking posts.

:-)

7

Aug 27, 2006, 12:15:21 PM8/27/06
William Poaster wrote:

> This message was posted on Usenet, NOT JLAforums, & on Sun, 27 Aug 2006
> 09:32:36 -0500, Linonut wrote:
>
>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Kier belched out this bit o' wisdom:

>>> You might get more people to listen to you if you dropped your silly
>>> babytalk 'micoshaft' crap. It doesn't make Microsoft look bad, it just
>>> makes you look a complete twat.
>>
>> "asstroturfing" is pretty funny, though, especially in regard to Erik's
>> "Microsoft brown-nosing" propensity.
>
> And as for "microshaft" it's what Microsoft do, they "shaft"
> people....customers, partners, hardware manufacturers etc. As for looking
> a twat, I suppose it's better than looking naive by responding to every
> post a wintroll makes.

Correct Againnnnn!!!!
These innocent posts are so inncoent, I think I'm gonna puke!

:-)

Kier

Aug 27, 2006, 1:17:19 PM8/27/06

However hard you work, it still looks like idiocy, and you still sound
like a dickhead. And yet you criticise Erik, who can at least post in a
grown up manner.

--
Kier

7

Aug 27, 2006, 12:24:46 PM8/27/06
Kier wrote:

See your own answer below..

> Me, I come here partly to advocate, but also to chat/have fun.

It seems I am here for the same reason.

> When I'm advocating I do it in plain English. You should try it sometime.

Why?
Because you say so?
I have no choice but to obey?

If you knew anything about free speech in UK you would
take that back pupp...t

And you said...

"This had nothing to do with free speech."

Which is not addressing my statement. If you started your reply by saying...
This had nothing to do with free speech in UK.
Then it might begin to address the issues.

So I will throw all this back at your face again...

If you knew anything about free speech in UK you would

take all that back pupp...t

Linonut

Aug 27, 2006, 12:25:45 PM8/27/06

Why not? It serves to highlight our contempt in a very clear manner.

--
The best things in life are free, but the
expensive ones are still worth a look.

7

Aug 27, 2006, 12:25:56 PM8/27/06
Kier wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 16:13:18 +0000, 7 wrote:
>
>> Linonut wrote:
>>
>>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Kier belched out this bit o' wisdom:

>>> "asstroturfing" is pretty funny, though, especially in regard to Erik's
>>> "Microsoft brown-nosing" propensity.
>>

>> Correcctttt!!!!
>> Spare a thought for some the hard work gone into these innocent
>> looking posts.
>>
>> :-)
>
> However hard you work, it still looks like idiocy

You are flat fish and I claim my five pounds.

Message has been deleted

DFS

Aug 27, 2006, 12:37:40 PM8/27/06
B Gruff wrote:
> On Sunday 27 August 2006 16:18 Hadron Quark wrote:
>
>> Windows is the best selling OS ever (all versions) but most
>> people never directly bought it anyway - so they werent shafted. It
>> came the OEM route, and does indeed work for 99.9% of users who wish
>> to do a bit of home accounting and play the latest action games.
>
> I'm having trouble following your "logic" there.
> I can appreciate that somebody who weighed the pros and cons, and
> made a conscious decision to actually *buy* something would not be
> "shafted", but how do you arrive at that conclusion

The following gratuitously insulting diatribe by Mr Gruff displays tried and
true cola "advocacy": claim everyone but them is walking around blind, deaf
and dumb, just waiting for the MS henchmen to pick their pockets.

> with respect to somebody not being asked,

What does this mean?

> being unaware that there *is* a cost involved,

It's impossible to be unaware that you're paying for all the components in
the PC, whether you like or want them.

> being unaware that a huge monopoly is making a
> lot of money through the OEM system,

What of it? That's the way of the world. It's not illegal or unethical.
Besides, everyone does know MS is a huge monopoly making a lot of money.

Want to really get shafted by a mfr? Check OEM prices for auto parts.

> being unaware that there is/should be an alternative

You have some proof they're unaware? And, where is it written there "should
be" an alternative to Windows?

Perhaps if more Linux users paid more money, OSS developers would be in a
better position to enhance the quality of the important apps (OpenOffice,
Gimp, MySQL/PostGreSQL, gnucash, etc) that would make Linux a realistic
alternative.

> and paying for it anyway?

The public isn't as stupid as you would like to believe: witness the
rejection of desktop Linux, despite the seductively low price.

7

Aug 27, 2006, 12:36:26 PM8/27/06
Kier wrote:

Therefore whatever it is you are trying to create
by shepherding others on behalf of GNU/Linux
must only be created in your own image and artificial.

Good luck to you.

Kier

Aug 27, 2006, 1:38:45 PM8/27/06

You can still have fun in plain English. You're devaluing your advocacy by
talking like a baby.

>> When I'm advocating I do it in plain English. You should try it sometime.
>
> Why?

Because more people might pay attention to what you have to say.

> Because you say so?
> I have no choice but to obey?

Nope, you've got a choice. But if you carry on, back in the killfile you
go. Life's too short to waste reading posts that aren't even in adult
language. Even flatfish can do better than that.

> If you knew anything about free speech in UK you would
> take that back pupp...t
>
> And you said...
> "This had nothing to do with free speech."
>
> Which is not addressing my statement. If you started your reply by saying...
> This had nothing to do with free speech in UK.
> Then it might begin to address the issues.
>
> So I will throw all this back at your face again...
>
> If you knew anything about free speech in UK you would
> take all that back pupp...t

Don't be an idiot. This issue isn't about free speech *anywhere*, UK or
otherwise, it's about you talking like a complete twat. Using the term
'micoshaft', among others, which IMO makes you look foolish while doing no
harm at all to your target.

-
Kier

High Plains Thumper

Aug 27, 2006, 12:36:13 PM8/27/06

It is not just a preference issue, we are in a Linux advocacy group.
comp.os.linux.advocacy charter states, "For discussion of the benefits of
Linux compared to other operating systems."

Such posts belong in an MS Windows forum.

--
HPT

Kier

Aug 27, 2006, 1:40:54 PM8/27/06
On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 11:25:45 -0500, Linonut wrote:

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Kier belched out this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 09:32:36 -0500, Linonut wrote:
>>
>>> "asstroturfing" is pretty funny, though, especially in regard to Erik's
>>> "Microsoft brown-nosing" propensity.
>>
>> Yeah, but it's only funny *once*. Much more than that and it ceases to be
>> amusing and becomes annoying and childish. It obscures the message.
>> Outsiders will look at it and say, These Linux people are idiots, they
>> can't even spell correctly, and they talk like backward children in a
>> playground. Is that the kind of image we Linux advocates want to put
>> forward?
>
> Why not? It serves to highlight our contempt in a very clear manner.

IMO, all it highlights is that Linux advocates can't manage to write in
decent English, but must resort to silly name-distortion to make their
points. *Is* that the kind of impression we want people to get of Linux
and its advocates?

--
Kier

7

Aug 27, 2006, 12:46:10 PM8/27/06
asstroturfer flatfish+++ wrote on behalf of micoshaft:

> On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 18:17:19 +0100, Kier wrote:
>

>> However hard you work, it still looks like idiocy, and you still sound
>> like a dickhead. And yet you criticise Erik, who can at least post in a
>> grown up manner.
>

> Be easy on 7, he was tossed out of the uk.telecom.broadband group a
> while back for the same behavior.
> He hasn't been the same since.
> Most people came to the conclusion that 7 is the product of his age and
> IQ.

I was?

It seems the phosphor dots are more than just glowing in front of you
if you were sad enough to search google groups
for *ALL* interests that I have.

One last point... You are a liar.
But I'm sure thats not the first time you were called that.

Hadron Quark

Aug 27, 2006, 12:42:53 PM8/27/06
B Gruff <bbg...@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

Fair point : but my view is that you're "shafted" if you buy something
based on false claims. Windows was the default OS and people were happy
to buy machines with it on : it works and they enjoyed the
expereince. Claiming that world doesnt like Windows is pure BS since it
clearly does.

Kelsey Bjarnason

Aug 27, 2006, 12:47:48 PM8/27/06
[snips]

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 09:12:10 -0500, Linonut wrote:

> Erik Funkenbusch, IE7 apologist.
>
> Anyway, who cares? You'll have to drag most of us to that app, kicking
> and screaming.
>
> We much prefer Linux, OSS, and Free software here, remember?

And FireFox even when we must use that other OS.

Kier

Aug 27, 2006, 1:56:23 PM8/27/06

Eh? I'm suggesting that people outside this cosy little work of COLA would
think you an idiot for the way you write 'micoshaft' in every sentence.

--
Kier

7

Aug 27, 2006, 1:01:37 PM8/27/06
Kier wrote:

IMO you are a control freak.

You screeming like a little gurl about kill files proved it beyond doubt.
What you can't control, you must kill.

By the way, foreigners can't write decent English either,
but that doesn't stop them from becoming GNU/Linux advocates.

So where exactly do you place you problem in the international community
of GNU/Linux advocacy ????????

7

Aug 27, 2006, 1:04:36 PM8/27/06
Kier wrote:

All micoshaft funded asstroturfers know I am an idiot.
Hey I don't mind.
Whats good for them is good for me too.

Kier

Aug 27, 2006, 2:32:59 PM8/27/06
On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 17:01:37 +0000, 7 wrote:

> Kier wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 11:25:45 -0500, Linonut wrote:
>>
>>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Kier belched out this bit o' wisdom:

>>> Why not? It serves to highlight our contempt in a very clear manner.
>>
>> IMO, all it highlights is that Linux advocates can't manage to write in
>> decent English, but must resort to silly name-distortion to make their
>> points. *Is* that the kind of impression we want people to get of Linux
>> and its advocates?
>

> IMO you are a control freak.

Nope, just sick of reading 'micoshaft' instead of Microsoft.

> You screeming like a little gurl about kill files proved it beyond doubt.
> What you can't control, you must kill.

I killfile relatively few posters here.

> By the way, foreigners can't write decent English either,
> but that doesn't stop them from becoming GNU/Linux advocates.

I'm not talking about people to whom English is a second language.

> So where exactly do you place you problem in the international community
> of GNU/Linux advocacy ????????

I don't have a problem. You do.

--
Kier

DFS

Aug 27, 2006, 1:34:35 PM8/27/06

It's way too late for that. Look back on early cola posts, all the way back
to the very first week it was in existence, and you'll see the same
name-distorting stuff. Most advocates for an OS (or anything for that
matter) do it at one time or another.

So don't take 7 and his moronic bumblings to heart. I say just plonk him.
With his inanity, he can't be taken seriously by anyone above the age of 12.
And he doesn't reflect negatively on you or Linux, any more than this
news.cogeco.ca ("Linux Shit on a Stick") guy reflects negatively on me or
Windows.

It's Rex Ballard and his ilk (mlw, Richard Rasker, Roy Schestowitz) you
should worry about. They toss in outrageous lies about Linux and MS\Windows
alongside truths and reasonable statements; this is devilish behavior.

Kier

Aug 27, 2006, 2:37:41 PM8/27/06
On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 13:34:35 -0400, DFS wrote:

> Kier wrote:
>> On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 11:25:45 -0500, Linonut wrote:
>>
>>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Kier belched out this bit o' wisdom:

>>> Why not? It serves to highlight our contempt in a very clear manner.
>>
>> IMO, all it highlights is that Linux advocates can't manage to write
>> in decent English, but must resort to silly name-distortion to make
>> their points. *Is* that the kind of impression we want people to get
>> of Linux and its advocates?
>
> It's way too late for that. Look back on early cola posts, all the way back
> to the very first week it was in existence, and you'll see the same
> name-distorting stuff. Most advocates for an OS (or anything for that
> matter) do it at one time or another.
>
> So don't take 7 and his moronic bumblings to heart. I say just plonk him.

I'm going to (again). Everyone got unplonked recently, because I shifted
to another machine to read news, and didn't bother exporting my killfile.
Thought I'd give people a second chance. 7 blew his, which is a pity.

> With his inanity, he can't be taken seriously by anyone above the age of
> 12. And he doesn't reflect negatively on you or Linux, any more than
> this news.cogeco.ca ("Linux Shit on a Stick") guy reflects negatively on
> me or Windows.

I'd like to think so.

> It's Rex Ballard and his ilk (mlw, Richard Rasker, Roy Schestowitz) you
> should worry about. They toss in outrageous lies about Linux and
> MS\Windows alongside truths and reasonable statements; this is devilish
> behavior.

Hardly.

--
Kier

Michael Brooslin

Aug 27, 2006, 1:50:34 PM8/27/06

*******
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.telecom.broadband/msg/22f6e6c180df4683?dmode=source&hl=en

Andrew Sayers, on 7:
"You really are incredibly stupid , aren't you? Why do you think (I suspect
you
don't) that frantically pressing the "H" and "A" keys makes you credible?

Are you "dave"? (He was a demi-literate that left this group ages ago to try
to learn
basic English).

Judging by the silly line above, you may be the "divvy-dave" that everyone
laughed
at. If not then you could be a clone, and we can all laugh at you instead!

C'mon "7" let us know.

(Which school do you attend by the way?)"

*******

7 is the only liar in this instance.

Linonut

Aug 27, 2006, 2:37:37 PM8/27/06

It has nothing to do with impressions. Who cares? All that matter is
you are showing disrespect. You can be sophisticated about it, or you
can simply jape.

7 is, I feel, performing a parody, most of the time.

--
"We ... come ... in ... ... ... peace!"

Linonut

Aug 27, 2006, 2:41:31 PM8/27/06
After takin' a swig o' grog, DFS belched out this bit o' wisdom:

> The public isn't as stupid as you would like to believe: witness the
> rejection of desktop Linux, despite the seductively low price.

Where can the public find desktop Linux, at seductively low prices?

I haven't seen one single PC, let alone one that is advertised, at any
office store, department store, or discount store (we don't have
computer stores in our area, so I can't comment on them.)

Hence, there is nothing for the public to reject.

Maybe the stores rejected them (for instance, Office Depot has publicly
rejected anything not compatible with Windows, including Mac stuff.)

The public hasn't even had the chance to "reject".

--
Press every key to continue.

Mark Dodel

Aug 27, 2006, 2:47:59 PM8/27/06
On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 14:32:36 UTC, Linonut <lin...@bone.com> wrote:

-> After takin' a swig o' grog, Kier belched out this bit o' wisdom:
->
-> > On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 13:11:32 +0000, 7 wrote:
-> >
-> >> There is no one interested here in your micoshaft asstroturfing
-> >> here. And its high time you abandoned your paying micoshaft OS
-> >> and switch to GNU/Linux and become a decent person.
-> >
-> > You might get more people to listen to you if you dropped your silly
-> > babytalk 'micoshaft' crap. It doesn't make Microsoft look bad, it
-> > just makes you look a complete twat.
->
-> "asstroturfing" is pretty funny, though, especially in regard to Erik's
-> "Microsoft brown-nosing" propensity.
->

"brown-heading" is more like it as he has his head so far up gate's
butt he must be on close personal terms with his brain.

Mark

--
From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

http://www.os2voice.org
Warpstock 2006, Windsor, Ontario, Canada, Oct 12-15, 2006 -
http://www.warpstock.org

Mark Dodel

Aug 27, 2006, 2:49:26 PM8/27/06
On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 08:06:50 UTC, Bobbie <bobbie4R...@shaw.ca>
wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 02:04:37 -0500, a microserf troll wrote:

->
-> > First, I like the "new tab" tab. In FF you have to go to a menu, type a
-> > key combination, or customize the toolbar to add a "new tab" button, which
-> > is up in the toolbar rather than in the tab area, so it's more work to get
-> > to. I know some of you will probably consider this a nit pick, but i use
-> > the mouse most of the time, and only hit the keyboard when necessary.
-> >
->
-> I don't know about you, but even with my right hand on the mouse a quick
-> CTRL-T with the left is very easy.
->

weenie users don't like all these options. It hurts their teenie
brains. They only do things the way their master tells them to do
things.

Another option in FF or SM is an extension like Tab Mix Plus which
even adds more options for tab browsing.

DFS

Aug 27, 2006, 3:12:18 PM8/27/06
Linonut wrote:
> After takin' a swig o' grog, DFS belched out this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> The public isn't as stupid as you would like to believe: witness the
>> rejection of desktop Linux, despite the seductively low price.
>
> Where can the public find desktop Linux, at seductively low prices?
>
> I haven't seen one single PC, let alone one that is advertised, at any
> office store, department store, or discount store (we don't have
> computer stores in our area, so I can't comment on them.)

? Where do you live, man, in a bomb shelter?

> Hence, there is nothing for the public to reject.

Most computer stores sell Linux box sets, at least, and have for years.
MicroCenter sells Linux systems. Dell and HP have been selling
pre-installed Linux systems for a long time (Dell as far back as '99 I
believe). Any decent-sized bookstore carries at least 3 to 6 Linux mags.
BusinessWeek ran an issue with Torvalds on the cover. IBM has been
advertising it for a couple years. Dell advertises it on TV. Linux is
supposedly replacing Windows in every 3rd world country. Every CIO or CTO
knows what it is and had to have evaluated it. Linux is all over the web.

Even my Chinese waiter knew what it was when I asked him - but to him it was
a Windows knockoff.

So just about everyone knows what Linux is and what it costs... yet few will
buy it.

> Maybe the stores rejected them (for instance, Office Depot has
> publicly rejected anything not compatible with Windows, including Mac
> stuff.)
>
> The public hasn't even had the chance to "reject".

Yes it has, and for at least 10 years. I bought a RedHat box set in 1997
from MicroCenter.

Geico Caveman

Aug 27, 2006, 3:22:18 PM8/27/06
Drop the act, FUDbush.

1. Some other entity open source or otherwise, innovates something.
2. FUDBush dismisses it.
3. A few years later, Microsoft copies it.
4. FUDbush discovers that it is a good thing after all.

Its a typical Microsoft employee pattern. And you wonder how we got the
idea ?

Kier

Aug 27, 2006, 4:23:44 PM8/27/06

Maybe he is. It's still God-awfully tedious and stupid after the first
couple of times, and the message gets lost. That's why I originally
plonked him, and why he's going back in the bin now. I'd rather have nails
hammered into my head than read any more of that trash.

--
Kier

B Gruff

Aug 27, 2006, 2:25:59 PM8/27/06
On Sunday 27 August 2006 17:42 Hadron Quark wrote:

> Fair point : but my view is that you're "shafted" if you buy something
> based on false claims. Windows was the default OS and people were happy
> to buy machines with it on : it works and they enjoyed the
> expereince. Claiming that world doesnt like Windows is pure BS since it
> clearly does.

Precisely what British Telecom used to tell us - everybody uses British
Telecom, so they must be happy with it. No need for regulation.

On that latter, the regulator now agrees........ with BT down to 60% market
share, the regulator has removed price controls on BT, saying that in doing
so he could only see BT prices *falling*.
He was right....:-)

(btw, the British public really did like BT according to the fairly recent
BT TV advertising campaign - "!00,000 customers a month are coming back to
BT"! They simply missed out the fact that rather more than 200,000 a month
were *leaving* BT!)

Finally, when you say "people were happy to buy machines with it on", I
would suggest that you had no Control Experiment. imo people were happy
*only* if they were offered the sale *without* Windows, and at a price
reduced by the true cost to the consumer of Windows. Otherwise, you are
claiming that USSR citizens were happy with the Communist Party because
nobody voted against its candidates.

7

Aug 27, 2006, 3:40:09 PM8/27/06
Kier wrote:

That precisely is where you are 100% wrong and where you know nothing
about free speech in UK.

> it's about you talking like a complete twat. Using the term
> 'micoshaft', among others, which IMO makes you look foolish while doing no
> harm at all to your target.

Kier

Aug 27, 2006, 3:44:29 PM8/27/06

Wrong.

>> it's about you talking like a complete twat. Using the term
>> 'micoshaft', among others, which IMO makes you look foolish while doing no
>> harm at all to your target.
>

> If you knew anything about free speech in UK you would
> take all that back pupp...t

I know plenty about it. I ought to, I live there. But this is not a free
speech issue. Go right ahead making an ass of yourself, it's all the same
to me, but I won't be reading it any longer.

--
Kier

Linonut

Aug 27, 2006, 4:35:25 PM8/27/06
After takin' a swig o' grog, DFS belched out this bit o' wisdom:

> Linonut wrote:
>> After takin' a swig o' grog, DFS belched out this bit o' wisdom:
>>
>>> The public isn't as stupid as you would like to believe: witness the
>>> rejection of desktop Linux, despite the seductively low price.
>>
>> Where can the public find desktop Linux, at seductively low prices?
>>
>> I haven't seen one single PC, let alone one that is advertised, at any
>> office store, department store, or discount store (we don't have
>> computer stores in our area, so I can't comment on them.)
>
> ? Where do you live, man, in a bomb shelter?

Close.

Charleston, SC

Cosmopolitan, yet backward in many ways.

> Even my Chinese waiter knew what it was when I asked him - but to him it was
> a Windows knockoff.
>
> So just about everyone knows what Linux is and what it costs... yet few will
> buy it.

Few will get up off their arse and do anything, especially about an item
they don't know much about -- computer operating systems.

>> The public hasn't even had the chance to "reject".
>
> Yes it has, and for at least 10 years. I bought a RedHat box set in 1997
> from MicroCenter.

The closest thing we have here is "Best Buy".

Really, I think the issue (aside from MS's hard work to kill off the
competition) is... Well, there is no issue aside from MS's hard work to
kill off the competition.

--
I had only one nerve left, and -dang- if you didn't git on it!

7

Aug 27, 2006, 5:08:01 PM8/27/06
Kier wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 19:40:09 +0000, 7 wrote:
>
>> Kier wrote:

>>> Don't be an idiot. This issue isn't about free speech *anywhere*, UK or
>>> otherwise,
>>

>> That precisely is where you are 100% wrong and where you know nothing
>> about free speech in UK.
>
> Wrong.
>

>>> it's about you talking like a complete twat. Using the term
>>> 'micoshaft', among others, which IMO makes you look foolish while doing
>>> no harm at all to your target.
>>

>> If you knew anything about free speech in UK you would
>> take all that back pupp...t
>
> I know plenty about it. I ought to, I live there.

Then you must be a timid creature that has very few interesting
things to say.

7

Aug 27, 2006, 5:42:38 PM8/27/06
sock puppet Michael Brooslin wrote:

> 7 wrote:
>> asstroturfer flatfish+++ wrote on behalf of micoshaft:

>>> Be easy on 7, he was tossed out of the uk.telecom.broadband group a
>>> while back for the same behavior.
>>> He hasn't been the same since.
>>> Most people came to the conclusion that 7 is the product of his age
>>> and IQ.
>>

>> I was?
>>
>> It seems the phosphor dots are more than just glowing in front of you
>> if you were sad enough to search google groups
>> for *ALL* interests that I have.
>>
>> One last point... You are a liar.
>> But I'm sure thats not the first time you were called that.
>

> *******
> http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.telecom.broadband

msg/22f6e6c180df4683?dmode=source&hl=en

> Andrew Sayers, on 7:
> "You really are incredibly stupid , aren't you? Why do you think (I
> suspect you
> don't) that frantically pressing the "H" and "A" keys makes you credible?
>
> Are you "dave"? (He was a demi-literate that left this group ages ago to
> try to learn
> basic English).
>
> Judging by the silly line above, you may be the "divvy-dave" that everyone
> laughed
> at. If not then you could be a clone, and we can all laugh at you instead!
>
> C'mon "7" let us know.
>
> (Which school do you attend by the way?)"
>
> *******
>

> 7 is the only liar in this instance.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!
You are still a dumb fsckie frankly.
To believe that all posts from an account are from same poster
leaves a lot of gap in your knowledge does it not?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!

spi...@freenet.co.uk

Aug 27, 2006, 6:35:12 PM8/27/06
7 <website_...@www.enemygadgets.com> did eloquently scribble:

> Then you must be a timid creature that has very few interesting
> things to say.

Care to give some examples of this lack of free speech we seem to endure
here?

Cos I must say, I've never been hauled before the courts for speaking my
mind, I very much doubt kier has either.

YOU on the other hand should perhaps have a look at how FREE you are in
america right now. You've allowed them to take much of what you seem to be
so proud of away from you over the past 10 years.
| spi...@freenet.co.uk | Windows95 (noun): 32 bit extensions and a |

spi...@freenet.co.uk

Aug 27, 2006, 6:35:12 PM8/27/06
7 <website_...@www.enemygadgets.com> did eloquently scribble:
> That precisely is where you are 100% wrong and where you know nothing
> about free speech in UK.

And what on earth makes you more qualified to speak of "free speech in the
UK" than someone actually IN the UK?

> If you knew anything about free speech in UK you would
> take all that back pupp...t

And what on earth makes you more qualified to speak of "free speech in the
UK" than someone actually IN the UK?
| spi...@freenet.co.uk | |

Mike Mozz

Aug 27, 2006, 6:45:21 PM8/27/06
spi...@freenet.co.uk wrote:
> 7 <website_...@www.enemygadgets.com> did eloquently scribble:
>> That precisely is where you are 100% wrong and where you know nothing
>> about free speech in UK.
>
> And what on earth makes you more qualified to speak of "free speech
> in the UK" than someone actually IN the UK?
>
>> If you knew anything about free speech in UK you would
>> take all that back pupp...t

> And what on earth makes you more qualified to speak of "free speech
> in the UK" than someone actually IN the UK?

Here's a free clue, spiketard:

82-45-242-158.cable.ubr06.dals.blueyonder.co.uk

Note the "co.uk" part. If you need additional help, don't hesitate to ask.

HTH

Gubo Dangle

Aug 27, 2006, 6:44:24 PM8/27/06
Mike Mozz expressed precisely :
I think most of the world knows were the UK is - or, would at least
know where to look. 8-o

Sinister Midget

Aug 27, 2006, 6:54:39 PM8/27/06
On 2006-08-27, spi...@freenet.co.uk <spi...@freenet.co.uk> posted something concerning:

> 7 <website_...@www.enemygadgets.com> did eloquently scribble:
>> That precisely is where you are 100% wrong and where you know nothing
>> about free speech in UK.
>
> And what on earth makes you more qualified to speak of "free speech in the
> UK" than someone actually IN the UK?
>
>> If you knew anything about free speech in UK you would
>> take all that back pupp...t
>
> And what on earth makes you more qualified to speak of "free speech in the
> UK" than someone actually IN the UK?

I think 7 is /in/ the UK.

Maybe not. But I marked him down a long while back for being a kook.
Then he got started on rabid anti-Americanism* and I moved it down a
slight bit more to -9999.

* Not that I care one way or the other if someone is anti-American. But
when they start going haywire over it, and begin frothing like Charlie
Ebert used to do, to the bottom they go.

--
Windows: In what position would you like to be taken today?

spi...@freenet.co.uk

Aug 27, 2006, 7:21:36 PM8/27/06
Sinister Midget <phydeaux@manly_mail.net> did eloquently scribble:

> On 2006-08-27, spi...@freenet.co.uk <spi...@freenet.co.uk> posted something concerning:
>> 7 <website_...@www.enemygadgets.com> did eloquently scribble:
>>> That precisely is where you are 100% wrong and where you know nothing
>>> about free speech in UK.
>>
>> And what on earth makes you more qualified to speak of "free speech in the
>> UK" than someone actually IN the UK?
>>
>>> If you knew anything about free speech in UK you would
>>> take all that back pupp...t
>>
>> And what on earth makes you more qualified to speak of "free speech in the
>> UK" than someone actually IN the UK?

> I think 7 is /in/ the UK.

Yes, I didn't bother dredging through the headers.
Still, he's talking balls, when he says we don't have any.

> Maybe not. But I marked him down a long while back for being a kook.
> Then he got started on rabid anti-Americanism* and I moved it down a
> slight bit more to -9999.

Oh, I can be a tad anti-american too sometimes, but usually with my tongue
firmly pressed into my cheek
:)

Erik Funkenbusch

Aug 27, 2006, 7:55:32 PM8/27/06
On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 14:06:40 GMT, Sinister Midget wrote:

> You always start liking things once the monopolists "innovate" them.

That's not true at all. There is one other case I can think of where this
is true, and that's in regard to popup blockers, and in fact my opinion had
changed on that about 6 months prior to Microsoft implementing it. The
reason was simple, popups simply weren't viable anymore as legitimate
advertising.

> I haven't seen how Mickeysoft does tabs. But if the way they do a
> number of other things that they "innovated" from other sources is any
> indication, it's probably goofy. Like the way they innovated multiple
> desktops, for example.

How so?

> I'm not surprised you like it. I'd be far more surprised if you didn't,
> or if you did but failed to come sings its praises to we heathens.

I said i'm starting to like it. I still think it violates the ui style
guidelines, but it has it's uses.

> Basically what you go on to describe is either available on a FF
> default* install or it's available as an extension** to accomplish it.

Perhaps you missed the part of my message where I addressed this.

Erik Funkenbusch

Aug 27, 2006, 8:03:18 PM8/27/06
On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 08:06:50 GMT, Bobbie wrote:

> I don't know about you, but even with my right hand on the mouse a quick

> CTRL-T with the left is very easy.

ctrl-t is simply not a comfortable stretch for me. I end up having to look
at the keyboard to do it, which throws off my concentration. However, if
you're talking key combinations, one feature I really like is IE's ability
to open the same page in a new tab. This lets me keep a tab at the current
location while I do something else on the page. I use this a lot on ebay,
where i want to keep the page with the current bid open but want to open a
new tab and get my bid ready to hit submit. you can't use middle-click for
this because ebay uses a submit button to enter a bid.

but in any event, any single one of these reasons is not enough to be a
problem, but add them up and IE is a much better user experience for me
than FF, which is why i've never been able get into using it.

Sinister Midget

Aug 27, 2006, 8:30:43 PM8/27/06
On 2006-08-27, spi...@freenet.co.uk <spi...@freenet.co.uk> posted something concerning:
> Sinister Midget <phydeaux@manly_mail.net> did eloquently scribble:
>> On 2006-08-27, spi...@freenet.co.uk <spi...@freenet.co.uk> posted something concerning:
>>> 7 <website_...@www.enemygadgets.com> did eloquently scribble:
>>>
>>> And what on earth makes you more qualified to speak of "free speech in the
>>> UK" than someone actually IN the UK?

>>> And what on earth makes you more qualified to speak of "free speech in the
>>> UK" than someone actually IN the UK?
>
>> I think 7 is /in/ the UK.
>
> Yes, I didn't bother dredging through the headers.
> Still, he's talking balls, when he says we don't have any.

I originally pushed him down to -9990 for being a nutter. That score is
a visual sign to me that I'm close to pushing them off the cliff
anyway, in case I forget. It doesn't take much for me to go the rest of
the way.

>> Maybe not. But I marked him down a long while back for being a kook.
>> Then he got started on rabid anti-Americanism* and I moved it down a
>> slight bit more to -9999.
>
> Oh, I can be a tad anti-american too sometimes, but usually with my tongue
> firmly pressed into my cheek
>:)

Everybody's anti-somebody. I don't care unless one wears it on their
sleeve. Then my trigger gets pretty touchy.

--
Microsoft may not be the root of all evil, but it's not for lack of
trying.

casioc...@gmail.com

Aug 27, 2006, 8:53:46 PM8/27/06

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> That's about it. Yes, I know you can get plug-ins for FF to address some
> of these issues, but that really just adds to the memory overhead issues of
> FF.
>
> I might even start to like tabbed browsing in FF if they can fix the issues
> i mentioned.

Yes. All those issues you said, and far more, are customisable through
an extension such as tab mix plus. Even if you close a tab in FF by
accident or intent, you can reopen closed tabs. Now you said you don't
like having a close button on every tab, well, I disagree, I want a
close button on every tab because sometimes I do close tabs other than
the one I'm reading; should I have to switch to every tab so that it
brings up that x button? That would be a pain. That's what makes
Firefox great, you can customise it how you want it.

I don't understand what the whole fuss about memory usage for firefox;
RAM is cheap.

Linonut

Aug 27, 2006, 9:53:09 PM8/27/06
After takin' a swig o' grog, Erik Funkenbusch belched out this bit o' wisdom:

> On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 08:06:50 GMT, Bobbie wrote:
>
>> I don't know about you, but even with my right hand on the mouse a quick
>> CTRL-T with the left is very easy.
>
> ctrl-t is simply not a comfortable stretch for me. I end up having to look
> at the keyboard to do it, which throws off my concentration. However, if
> you're talking key combinations, one feature I really like is IE's ability
> to open the same page in a new tab.

Click on the URL bar, select open new tab, then middle-click on the new
page. Or Ctrl-T a new tab, then Go/your link in the menu.

> This lets me keep a tab at the current
> location while I do something else on the page. I use this a lot on ebay,
> where i want to keep the page with the current bid open but want to open a
> new tab and get my bid ready to hit submit. you can't use middle-click for
> this because ebay uses a submit button to enter a bid.

????

--
Windows XP. The operating system with a load in its pants.

Message has been deleted

flatfish+++

Aug 27, 2006, 11:08:05 PM8/27/06
On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 21:42:38 +0000, 7 wrote:

> BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!
> You are still a dumb fsckie frankly.
> To believe that all posts from an account are from same poster
> leaves a lot of gap in your knowledge does it not?
>
> BWAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!

Oh, but when they/you/COLA Gang believe they are all from flatfish, from
the same as well as different isp's, then it's ok.

Hypocrite.

Bob Hauck

Aug 27, 2006, 10:20:55 PM8/27/06
On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 18:55:32 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch
<er...@despam-funkenbusch.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 14:06:40 GMT, Sinister Midget wrote:
>
>> You always start liking things once the monopolists "innovate" them.
>
> That's not true at all.

Yes, it is true. Tabbed browsing, popup blockers, multiple desktops,
and remote graphic displays being some examples of things you claimed
nobody needed until Microsoft offered them.

> There is one other case I can think of where this is true, and that's
> in regard to popup blockers, and in fact my opinion had changed on
> that about 6 months prior to Microsoft implementing it.

Was that before or after you claimed that blocking popups was going to
kill the web because no one would be able to make any money? Come on
dude, some of us have been here reading your posts for years.

> The reason was simple, popups simply weren't viable anymore as
> legitimate advertising.

It was just a coincidence that you decided that moments before Microsoft
told you what to think.

--
-| Bob Hauck
-| A proud member of the unhinged moonbat horde.

Bob Hauck

Aug 27, 2006, 10:24:00 PM8/27/06
On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 19:03:18 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch
<er...@despam-funkenbusch.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 08:06:50 GMT, Bobbie wrote:
>
>> I don't know about you, but even with my right hand on the mouse a quick
>> CTRL-T with the left is very easy.
>
> ctrl-t is simply not a comfortable stretch for me.

Oh, your aching finger! Microsoft to the rescue!

> but in any event, any single one of these reasons is not enough to be a
> problem, but add them up and IE is a much better user experience for me
> than FF, which is why i've never been able get into using it.

Of course it is, it is from Microsoft!

Erik Funkenbusch

Aug 28, 2006, 3:15:48 AM8/28/06
On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 22:20:55 -0400, Bob Hauck wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 18:55:32 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch
> <er...@despam-funkenbusch.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 14:06:40 GMT, Sinister Midget wrote:
>>
>>> You always start liking things once the monopolists "innovate" them.
>>
>> That's not true at all.
>
> Yes, it is true. Tabbed browsing, popup blockers, multiple desktops,
> and remote graphic displays being some examples of things you claimed
> nobody needed until Microsoft offered them.

Bullshit. I don't like multiple desktops, and still don't. Please provide
evidence of this supposed backtracking on this.

And i've never said i didn't like remote graphics displays. I said that
graphics are 99% of the time local, and that a UI should be optimized for
the common case, not the 1% remote case. I still believe that.

And, as I said, I still believe that tabbed browsing violates UI
guidelines, but I said i'm starting to like it.

>> There is one other case I can think of where this is true, and that's
>> in regard to popup blockers, and in fact my opinion had changed on
>> that about 6 months prior to Microsoft implementing it.
>
> Was that before or after you claimed that blocking popups was going to
> kill the web because no one would be able to make any money? Come on
> dude, some of us have been here reading your posts for years.

I never said that. I did say that blocking popups could lead to the sites
you are visiting shutting down. That's not the same thing as claiming it
will kill the web.

>> The reason was simple, popups simply weren't viable anymore as
>> legitimate advertising.
>
> It was just a coincidence that you decided that moments before Microsoft
> told you what to think.

No, it's just coincidence that that's when you noticed it, ie when the
subject became controversial.

7

Aug 28, 2006, 5:53:51 AM8/28/06
spi...@freenet.co.uk wrote:

> 7 <website_...@www.enemygadgets.com> did eloquently scribble:
>> Then you must be a timid creature that has very few interesting
>> things to say.
>
> Care to give some examples of this lack of free speech we seem to endure
> here?

Yes I do have some old war wounds....

A long long time ago,
There was this chappie that grew fond of cucumbers.
He didst talketh a lot of cucumberism.
When one day he found a rather large cucumber,
He fondly wrapped it and posted it.

A rather nasty deputy prime minister at the time
Then didst foundeth this gift wrapped cucumber,
And lo and behold he had it inserted up his bum slowly.
True there were no instructions that it had to be taken orally,
And after the medical emergcy inquiry it was decided by PR spin doctors
That the perpertrator of this medical emergency shouldst
be rewarded with five pounds for his troubles.

But alas, the message was mis-translated,
And it was decided that no monies could be paid,
Instead a cucumber should be returned to sender.
As they didn't know who the sender was,
The cucumber was sent to the ISP.
Not being amused, the chappie then threatened to involve the police
And thus it was that the cucumber was sent back to its
anonymous owners and was never heard of again.

spi...@freenet.co.uk

Aug 28, 2006, 6:12:23 AM8/28/06
7 <website_...@www.enemygadgets.com> did eloquently scribble:
> spi...@freenet.co.uk wrote:

>> 7 <website_...@www.enemygadgets.com> did eloquently scribble:
>>> Then you must be a timid creature that has very few interesting
>>> things to say.
>>
>> Care to give some examples of this lack of free speech we seem to endure
>> here?

> Yes I do have some old war wounds....

Care to enlighten us without talking about cucumbers?
| spi...@freenet.co.uk | "I'm alive!!! I can touch! I can taste! |

spi...@freenet.co.uk

Aug 28, 2006, 6:27:55 AM8/28/06
Erik Funkenbusch <er...@despam-funkenbusch.com> did eloquently scribble:

> On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 14:06:40 GMT, Sinister Midget wrote:

>> You always start liking things once the monopolists "innovate" them.

> That's not true at all. There is one other case I can think of where this
> is true, and that's in regard to popup blockers, and in fact my opinion had
> changed on that about 6 months prior to Microsoft implementing it. The
> reason was simple, popups simply weren't viable anymore as legitimate
> advertising.

That implies they once where!
Advertisements are used to gain public acceptence, to tempts people to buy
their product. All SPAM and popups ever did was annoy the hell out of people
and make them vow never to buy anything from the spammer/poppuper/
| spi...@freenet.co.uk | "Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?" |
|Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| |

spi...@freenet.co.uk

Aug 28, 2006, 6:41:18 AM8/28/06
DFS <nospam@dfs_.com> did eloquently scribble:
> It's way too late for that. Look back on early cola posts, all the way back
> to the very first week it was in existence, and you'll see the same
> name-distorting stuff. Most advocates for an OS (or anything for that
> matter) do it at one time or another.

Oh yeah, and you're totally innocent are you?
Your VERY first post here was just as guilty as that.

spi...@freenet.co.uk

Aug 28, 2006, 6:41:18 AM8/28/06
7 <website_...@www.enemygadgets.com> did eloquently scribble:
> All micoshaft funded asstroturfers know I am an idiot.

Could you repeat that in correct english, just to show you can?

7

Aug 28, 2006, 8:03:52 AM8/28/06
spi...@freenet.co.uk wrote:

> 7 <website_...@www.enemygadgets.com> did eloquently scribble:
>> spi...@freenet.co.uk wrote:
>
>>> 7 <website_...@www.enemygadgets.com> did eloquently scribble:
>>>
>>> Care to give some examples of this lack of free speech we seem to endure
>>> here?
>
>> Yes I do have some old war wounds....
>
> Care to enlighten us without talking about cucumbers?

Impossible.

I kid you not - the central star was a cucumber!!!!

:-)

7

Aug 28, 2006, 9:17:51 AM8/28/06
flatfish+++ wrote:

The phosphor dots are more than just glowing in your eyes
isn't that right flat cake?

So you turn into an Internet Stalker and then call others
Hypocrites.

Sheesh!

Care to tell us where it all went wrong for you in
your life starting at a point before getting locked
up in your current asstroturfer cubicle (such as graduation day)?

ricar...@spambtinternet.com

Aug 28, 2006, 12:16:36 PM8/28/06

Please enlighten this mere mortal. What is the connection between the
Bruce Fletcher
btinternetDOTcomATricardian
Stronsay, Orkney
<www.stronsay.co.uk/claremont>

steve

Aug 28, 2006, 1:12:26 PM8/28/06
Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> Second, I have a very wide monitor (1920x1200) and FF puts it's close tab
> button over on the right side of the window, which again means moving the
> mouse across the screen to close a tab (or right clicking on the tab which
> I find less intuitive). FF 2 beta has the x on the tab, like IE7, but it
> has a critical flaw. The x is visible on all tabs, so if you click on a
> tab without being careful, you can accidentally close it if you hit the x.
> IE7 only puts the x on the currently active tab, so if you are going to
> select another tab you can't accidentally close it. In fact, this issue is
> my #1 gripe with FF (The X on the far right).

Middle clicking on the tab, no X needed - works on any open tab too.

Message has been deleted

Mark Kent

Aug 28, 2006, 1:54:48 PM8/28/06
begin oe_protect.scr
B Gruff <bbg...@yahoo.co.uk> espoused:
> On Sunday 27 August 2006 17:42 Hadron Quark wrote:
>
>> Fair point : but my view is that you're "shafted" if you buy something
>> based on false claims. Windows was the default OS and people were happy
>> to buy machines with it on : it works and they enjoyed the
>> expereince. Claiming that world doesnt like Windows is pure BS since it
>> clearly does.
>
> Precisely what British Telecom used to tell us - everybody uses British
> Telecom, so they must be happy with it. No need for regulation.
>
> On that latter, the regulator now agrees........ with BT down to 60% market
> share, the regulator has removed price controls on BT, saying that in doing
> so he could only see BT prices *falling*.

60% of what? I don't think BT's anywhere near that in most markets,
apart from the ones with little profit in which are difficult to do...

The regulatory regime in the UK was not about regulating prices up or
down, it was about creating a margin within which other operators could
arbitrage BT.

> He was right....:-)

About some, for sure. Last year, various operators were complaining to
Ofcom that BT had cut its prices too far, thus depriving them of their
arbitrage opportunity.

> (btw, the British public really did like BT according to the fairly recent
> BT TV advertising campaign - "!00,000 customers a month are coming back to
> BT"! They simply missed out the fact that rather more than 200,000 a month
> were *leaving* BT!)

That's advertising for you... don't know if you were following the
broadband stories last week, but Carphone Warehouse were being
absolutely caned for their terrible provisioning service; the best
story (of hundreds, I heard) was one where they'd failed to deliver any
service at all, so the customer refused to pay. This resulted in
Carphone Warehouse taking the customer to court for non-payment, and
sending round the debt collectors. The customer /still/ hadn't had any
service, but the Carphone debt collectors were there for their money...

> Finally, when you say "people were happy to buy machines with it on", I
> would suggest that you had no Control Experiment. imo people were happy
> *only* if they were offered the sale *without* Windows, and at a price
> reduced by the true cost to the consumer of Windows. Otherwise, you are
> claiming that USSR citizens were happy with the Communist Party because
> nobody voted against its candidates.

People didn't know that they could have anything else, because Microsoft
stopped them from having it, even when it was given away for free, like
BeOS was; MS made sure that it didn't even appear on a bootloader,
through further abuse of their monopoly.

No-one would remember the Good Samaritan if he had only had good
intentions. He had money as well.
-- Margaret Thatcher

Mark Kent

Aug 28, 2006, 1:58:50 PM8/28/06
begin oe_protect.scr
Sinister Midget <phydeaux@manly_mail.net> espoused:

The problem I have with the phrase "anti-american" is that it's too much
like George Bush's "either you're with us or you're against us"
playground/nursery philosophy. It needs to be qualified; for example,
I'm brutally opposed to much of the British Government's foreign policy,
but that doesn't make me "anti-british", just as I'm brutally opposed to
probably even more of US foreign policy, but again, I'm not
"anti-american". Anti-American government might be closer...

Anyway, as you say, I thought he was in the UK, too.

Peter Kai Jensen

Aug 28, 2006, 4:33:21 PM8/28/06
--
PeKaJe

When you learn how to program, we'll worry about compiling your code. Until
then, we'll just point and laugh. -- High opinions of X.CPP

William Poaster

Aug 28, 2006, 6:25:50 PM8/28/06
This message was posted on Usenet, NOT JLAforums, & on Mon, 28 Aug 2006

82.45.242.158 telewest/bluyonder
role: Telewest Broadband NCMC
address: Communications House
address: Mayfair Business Park
address: Broad Lane
address: Bradford
address: BD4 8PW

--
Linux is not a desktop OS for people
whose VCRs are still flashing "12:00".
That eliminates a lot of wintrolls then.

Stephen Fairchild

Aug 28, 2006, 6:32:03 PM8/28/06
spi...@freenet.co.uk wrote:

> Erik Funkenbusch <er...@despam-funkenbusch.com> did eloquently scribble:
>> On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 14:06:40 GMT, Sinister Midget wrote:
>
>>> You always start liking things once the monopolists "innovate" them.
>
>> That's not true at all. There is one other case I can think of where
>> this is true, and that's in regard to popup blockers, and in fact my
>> opinion had
>> changed on that about 6 months prior to Microsoft implementing it. The
>> reason was simple, popups simply weren't viable anymore as legitimate
>> advertising.
>
> That implies they once where!
> Advertisements are used to gain public acceptence, to tempts people to buy
> their product. All SPAM and popups ever did was annoy the hell out of
> people and make them vow never to buy anything from the spammer/poppuper/

More than that it makes me close the windows as soon as possible and
inclined to be dismissive of any opinions on the target web page and
completely reluctant to follow any of their links lest they open even more
popups.
--
Stephen Fairchild

Stephen Fairchild

Aug 28, 2006, 6:38:04 PM8/28/06
Mark Dodel wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 14:32:36 UTC, Linonut <lin...@bone.com> wrote:
>
> -> After takin' a swig o' grog, Kier belched out this bit o' wisdom:
> ->
> -> > On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 13:11:32 +0000, 7 wrote:
> -> >
> -> >> There is no one interested here in your micoshaft asstroturfing
> -> >> here. And its high time you abandoned your paying micoshaft OS
> -> >> and switch to GNU/Linux and become a decent person.
> -> >
> -> > You might get more people to listen to you if you dropped your silly
> -> > babytalk 'micoshaft' crap. It doesn't make Microsoft look bad, it
> -> > just makes you look a complete twat.
> ->
> -> "asstroturfing" is pretty funny, though, especially in regard to Erik's
> -> "Microsoft brown-nosing" propensity.
> ->
>
> "brown-heading" is more like it as he has his head so far up gate's
> butt he must be on close personal terms with his brain.

$ cowsay -e xx -f head-in.cow "oh god eric, you are so good to me"
--
Stephen Fairchild

Linonut

Aug 28, 2006, 9:16:54 PM8/28/06
After takin' a swig o' grog, Peter Kai Jensen belched out this bit o' wisdom:

> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>
>> ctrl-t is simply not a comfortable stretch for me.
>
> Unless you're left-handed, your left index finger should be resting on
> 'F' anyway, while not typing. This should leave ^T very close and easy
> to hit, unless your hand size is very far from normal. Same goes for
> ^W, which would close the current tab.

Actually, if Erik had a UNIX keyboard, he'd wouldn't find Ctrl-T a
stretch at all. Those goddam PC keyboards stick the oft-used Ctrl key
out of reach, while putting the hardly-ever-used Caps Lock key right
next to the pinky's home position.

> Right. Of course, this is as expected from such a convinced MS
> apologist as you are. I'd bet that even if FF acted exactly like IE
> (or, as is probably more likely, IE starts behaving like FF), you would
> still find some reason to prefer IE. You just can't bring yourself to
> prefer any alternative to MS products. This is why we laugh at you when
> you suddenly change position on something, shortly after MS did the
> same. It's so obvious that you're a shill that it's entertaining in a
> way.

Is he a Luddite (see sig courtesy of his ideal) or a Fuddite? <grin>

--
"It turns out Luddites don't know how to use software properly,
so you should look into that." -- Bill Gates, FOCUS interview

Erik Funkenbusch

Aug 29, 2006, 1:19:19 AM8/29/06
On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 10:27:55 GMT, spi...@freenet.co.uk wrote:

> Erik Funkenbusch <er...@despam-funkenbusch.com> did eloquently scribble:
>> On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 14:06:40 GMT, Sinister Midget wrote:
>
>>> You always start liking things once the monopolists "innovate" them.
>
>> That's not true at all. There is one other case I can think of where this
>> is true, and that's in regard to popup blockers, and in fact my opinion had
>> changed on that about 6 months prior to Microsoft implementing it. The
>> reason was simple, popups simply weren't viable anymore as legitimate
>> advertising.
>
> That implies they once where!
> Advertisements are used to gain public acceptence, to tempts people to buy
> their product. All SPAM and popups ever did was annoy the hell out of people
> and make them vow never to buy anything from the spammer/poppuper/

If that were true, then nobody would have ever used them. Or at least
never used them beyond experimentation. Obviously they worked, or people
wouldn't have spent time and money implementing them.

At one time, Popups were the only real way to get peoples attention (good
or bad, people still saw the ad, "banner blindness" is a pretty well known
phenomenon.

New methods have been developed that work better, such as flash ads that
grab attention, and by putting them inline rather than in the same place
all the time. Eventually, tools like adblocker will make banners as
useless as popups now are.

Erik Funkenbusch

Aug 29, 2006, 1:20:48 AM8/29/06

Well, learn something new every day, I guess. They hide that pretty well,
though. It's not listed in the shortcuts help.

Linonut

Aug 29, 2006, 5:31:23 AM8/29/06
After takin' a swig o' grog, Erik Funkenbusch belched out this bit o' wisdom:

Odd. On my Firefoxes, it tries to open a previous link, one not even
being shown in a tab.

--
Microslave: You aren't going anywhere today!

Jamie Hart

Aug 29, 2006, 10:33:33 AM8/29/06
Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> I finally broke down and installed IE7 RC1 permanently on my desktop (prior
> to this, i'd run it in a virtual machine so I could keep IE6 and 7 running
> together, now i'm going to go the opposite and do IE6 in a VM for web
> development testing purposes).
>
> I never thought i'd say this, but I'm actually starting to like tabbed
> browsing a bit. I still think it violates many of the visibility rules of
> good UI design, but it has it's uses. I think, however, most of my reasons
> for liking it in IE7 are related to IE's implementation of it.
>
> There are a few key features of IE7 that I think make tabbed browsing
> easier to use than in FF.
>
> First, I like the "new tab" tab. In FF you have to go to a menu, type a
> key combination, or customize the toolbar to add a "new tab" button, which
> is up in the toolbar rather than in the tab area, so it's more work to get
> to. I know some of you will probably consider this a nit pick, but i use
> the mouse most of the time, and only hit the keyboard when necessary.

So, how do you type in the URL?

Your hand will be on the keyboard anyway, so just use CTRL-T.

If you're not typing a URL, use the middle mouse button (or scroll wheel).

> Second, I have a very wide monitor (1920x1200) and FF puts it's close tab
> button over on the right side of the window, which again means moving the
> mouse across the screen to close a tab (or right clicking on the tab which
> I find less intuitive). FF 2 beta has the x on the tab, like IE7, but it
> has a critical flaw. The x is visible on all tabs, so if you click on a
> tab without being careful, you can accidentally close it if you hit the x.
> IE7 only puts the x on the currently active tab, so if you are going to
> select another tab you can't accidentally close it. In fact, this issue is
> my #1 gripe with FF (The X on the far right).

So use the middle mouse button on the tab.

The Ghost In The Machine

Aug 29, 2006, 11:00:03 AM8/29/06
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, 7
<website_...@www.enemygadgets.com>
wrote
on Mon, 28 Aug 2006 12:03:52 GMT
<IYAIg.10069$r61....@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>:

Dare I even ask at this point? I'm beginning to think
one or both of the participants in this subthread were a
bit....pickled.

:-)

#191, ewi...@earthlink.net -- insert random beverage here
Windows Vista. Because it's time to refresh your hardware. Trust us.

chrisv

Aug 29, 2006, 11:03:04 AM8/29/06
Kier wrote:

>IMO, all it highlights is that Linux advocates can't manage to write in
>decent English, but must resort to silly name-distortion to make their
>points. *Is* that the kind of impression we want people to get of Linux
>and its advocates?

How about you, troll-feeder supreme?

I like 7's posts.

chrisv

Aug 29, 2006, 11:04:47 AM8/29/06
Sinister Midget wrote:

>On 2006-08-27, Erik Funkenbusch <er...@despam-funkenbusch.com> posted something concerning:

>> I finally broke down and installed IE7 RC1 permanently on my desktop (prior
>> to this, i'd run it in a virtual machine so I could keep IE6 and 7 running
>> together, now i'm going to go the opposite and do IE6 in a VM for web
>> development testing purposes).
>>
>> I never thought i'd say this, but I'm actually starting to like tabbed
>> browsing a bit. I still think it violates many of the visibility rules of
>> good UI design, but it has it's uses. I think, however, most of my reasons
>> for liking it in IE7 are related to IE's implementation of it.
>

>You always start liking things once the monopolists "innovate" them.

Erik is truly transparent garbage.

spi...@freenet.co.uk

Aug 29, 2006, 11:28:18 AM8/29/06
The Ghost In The Machine <ew...@sirius.tg00suus7038.net> did eloquently scribble:

> Dare I even ask at this point? I'm beginning to think
> one or both of the participants in this subthread were a
> bit....pickled.

Him, definitely.
I've got as little idea what the hell he's talking about as you have.
| spi...@freenet.co.uk |in the ground beneath a giant boulder, which you|
| in |good to you so far... |

Johan Lindquist

Aug 29, 2006, 12:28:37 PM8/29/06
So anyway, it was like, 09:04 CEST Aug 27 2006, you know? Oh, and, yeah,
Erik Funkenbusch was all like, "Dude,

> First, I like the "new tab" tab. In FF you have to go to a menu,
> type a key combination, or customize the toolbar to add a "new tab"
> button, which is up in the toolbar rather than in the tab area, so
> it's more work to get to. I know some of you will probably consider
> this a nit pick, but i use the mouse most of the time, and only hit
> the keyboard when necessary.

I seem to recall firefox (or mozilla?) actually had a "new tab" button
when it was still a new feature, the reason I remember is it because I
found it annoying and turned it off. Except for taking up real estate,
I never saw the point of the extraneous step of clicking it.

Since I'm usually typing in the URL anyway, I find it /much/ easier
to just press alt-return to open it in a new tab. If not, alt-return
after pasting it is also easier than clicking a button first. Or, if
I'm opening one from the bookmarks, right-click and select "open in
new tab" is still faster than clicking a button first.

Also, with my hands on the keyboard, where they usually are, ctrl-t
for a new tab (or ctrl-n for a new window) beats rolling the trackball
to the correct place and clicking. This goes for most applications
tho, it's not limited to web browsing, I find myself making use of
keyboard shortcuts quite a lot.

--
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. Perth ---> *
18:22:30 up 52 days, 1:51, 1 user, load average: 0.03, 0.01, 0.00

William Poaster

Aug 29, 2006, 2:06:41 PM8/29/06
This message was posted on Usenet, NOT JLAforums, & on Tue, 29 Aug 2006

You mean about him looking naive?

> I like 7's posts.

I take 'em or leave 'em.

Peter Kai Jensen

Aug 29, 2006, 4:18:52 PM8/29/06
--
PeKaJe

Microsoft is not the answer.
Microsoft is the question.
Linux is the answer.

Mark Kent

Aug 29, 2006, 4:24:50 PM8/29/06
begin oe_protect.scr
Johan Lindquist <sp...@smilfinken.net> espoused:

> So anyway, it was like, 09:04 CEST Aug 27 2006, you know? Oh, and, yeah,
> Erik Funkenbusch was all like, "Dude,
>
>> First, I like the "new tab" tab. In FF you have to go to a menu,
>> type a key combination, or customize the toolbar to add a "new tab"
>> button, which is up in the toolbar rather than in the tab area, so
>> it's more work to get to. I know some of you will probably consider
>> this a nit pick, but i use the mouse most of the time, and only hit
>> the keyboard when necessary.
>
> I seem to recall firefox (or mozilla?) actually had a "new tab" button
> when it was still a new feature, the reason I remember is it because I
> found it annoying and turned it off. Except for taking up real estate,
> I never saw the point of the extraneous step of clicking it.
>
> Since I'm usually typing in the URL anyway, I find it /much/ easier
> to just press alt-return to open it in a new tab. If not, alt-return
> after pasting it is also easier than clicking a button first. Or, if
> I'm opening one from the bookmarks, right-click and select "open in
> new tab" is still faster than clicking a button first.
>
> Also, with my hands on the keyboard, where they usually are, ctrl-t
> for a new tab (or ctrl-n for a new window) beats rolling the trackball
> to the correct place and clicking. This goes for most applications
> tho, it's not limited to web browsing, I find myself making use of
> keyboard shortcuts quite a lot.

I would be quite happy with no buttons at all for most things, but
that's one of the advantages of being able to touch-type, I think.
Menus and buttons and so on are all very well, but for something you do
regularly, a simple c- or a- shortcut is far easier and quicker.

If you notice that a person is deceiving you, they must not be
deceiving you very well.

It is loading more messages.