[News] OpenOffice 2.0 Winning the 'War'

Roy Schestowitz

Sep 16, 2006, 6:43:27 AM9/16/06
OpenOffice 2.0 (Review)

,----[ Quote ]
| In the field of office productivity software there are few players.
| In the world of open source software, there are even fewer. Each of them
| say they are directly competing against Microsoft's Office suite. Only
| one is winning. Let me introduce you to OpenOffice, the one and only
| open source office suite that's not only winning the war, but it's
| giving Redmond some rather nasty nightmares. Lets pick apart this bounty
| of goodness and see what's inside.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=146

Linonut

Sep 16, 2006, 8:52:08 AM9/16/06

Monopoly pricing!

Starts at $165 for the "lite" version and $499 for the full suite on
average. Some versions cost upwards of $650 or more.

--
MP3 is not a crime!

Roy Schestowitz

Sep 16, 2006, 8:58:46 AM9/16/06
__/ [ Linonut ] on Saturday 16 September 2006 13:52 \__

In Soviet Russian, office buys you for $650 or more (or is it the other way
around?). Mind the lowercase "O". Same when it comes to hardware.

Rick

Sep 16, 2006, 9:04:48 AM9/16/06

I like and use OpenOffice, and I'd like to see it adopted by the majority
of desktops users that don't need certain features that are only provided
by MS Office, but hat article reads like a piece of pie in the sky
propaganda instead of a real review and comparison of MS Office and
OpenOfice.

"Proprietary software package created and controlled by a monolithic
software giant."

While this is true, it doesn't have anything to do with
features.

"The offerings are nearly identical for the core features, however
OpenOffice goes beyond the core features and adds a multitude more,
including two brand new programs that are designed with the power user in
mind."

If I have read the various reviews correctly, MS Office has many more
'features' that OO.o. It's just that many (most, overwhelming majority?)
never come close to using them.

"There are no known security flaws or viruses at the time of this article."

... except for the proof of concept OO.o macro exploits?

... and it goes on and on.

OO.o is an excellent product and IMO, it is quite usable for the
overwhelming majority of desktop users. However, fluff articles like this
won't help the adoption after the accurate rebuttals surface.

That being said, I think I'll go edit my attendance spreadsheet in Calc,
and then edit some of our class forms in Writer. Why? Because OO.o is an
excellent product, at an excellent price and has no licensing issues.

--
Rick
<http://ricks-place.tripod.com/sound/2cents.wav>

DFS

Sep 16, 2006, 9:55:17 AM9/16/06

[OLD NEWS] Roy S. losing his 'mind' - and quoting bloggers as if their
inexperienced, uninformed, biased opinions mean anything.

Rick

Sep 16, 2006, 10:03:01 AM9/16/06

.. as opposed to your inexperienced, uninformed, biased opinions?

--
Rick
<http://ricks-place.tripod.com/sound/2cents.wav>

T3 Timeout

Sep 16, 2006, 10:04:33 AM9/16/06
Linonut wrote:

> Monopoly pricing!
>
> Starts at $165 for the "lite" version and $499 for the full suite on
> average. Some versions cost upwards of $650 or more.

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/18da2bd2c5295474?dmode=source&hl=en

"In our group of twelve people, I count
four people who have investigated Linux, and maybe two who investigate
warez of various sorts (and I'm not one of those, although I will be
interested in Partition Magic soon)."

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/f01987804dfd9da7?dmode=source&hl=en

"Of course, whether from the net or from work. Why would I pay $50 for
an app I will use one time?"

The cost of commercial software has never been an impediment for Linonut.

ed

Sep 16, 2006, 10:40:44 AM9/16/06

My dad can even use OpenOffice.org, when he got a PC he said no way and
I showed him OOo. It's just so much easier for people to use. Those at
work who use OOo are often more level headed and generally less stressed
out about stuff when their suite does what they want it to.

--
Regards, Ed :: http://www.openbsdhacker.com
proud bash hacker

ed

Sep 16, 2006, 10:42:02 AM9/16/06

In CCCP software is free. No copyright laws, IIRC.

just another unix person
McGruff might take a bite out of crime, but Vin Diesel eats crime
whole.

Message has been deleted

DFS

Sep 16, 2006, 12:10:18 PM9/16/06
flatfish+++ wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 09:55:17 -0400, DFS wrote:

>> [OLD NEWS] Roy S. losing his 'mind' - and quoting bloggers as if
>> their inexperienced, uninformed, biased opinions mean anything.
>

> You noticed that too?
> He's also replying to himself in order to boost the reply count to his
> news posts.

I didn't realize how sick he was, and what 350 [NEWS] posts per week (and
replies) looks like in my newsreader.

Linonut

Sep 16, 2006, 1:22:48 PM9/16/06
After takin' a swig o' grog, DFS belched out this bit o' wisdom:

Just like Erik Funkenbusch, the guy you claim wipes the floor with COLA.
LOL!

--
Press every key to continue.

7

Sep 16, 2006, 1:39:16 PM9/16/06
Asstroturfer DFS wrote on behalf of micoshaft:

So what makes you asstroturf here on behalf of micoshaft?
Don't you have a real job?
Is cubicle life all you know?

I have only words of wisdom for the likes of you.
First give up micoshaft windows.
Then switch a decent OS like Linux which is free.
http://www.livcecdlist.com
http://www.distrowatch.com
And start using open source office which is free
and does everything micoshaft oriffice does and a great
deal more with, particularly with drawings, and opening
more document formats.
http://www.openoffice.org
And you can then stop asstroturfing for micoshaft,
and then post something decent in COLA related to advocating Linux
instead disengaging your brain for mindless ranting of
sour clap trap about this and that on behalf of micoshaft.

Roy Schestowitz

Sep 16, 2006, 2:05:30 PM9/16/06
__/ [ ed ] on Saturday 16 September 2006 15:42 \__

In Korea, only old people pay for software (to keep the Slashdot
saga/subculture going).

Microsoft's evil plan:

1. Produce shoddy software
2. Neglect to release patches frequently
3. People need to pay for Microsoft Live OneCare to protect their PC's
4. ...
5. Profit!

--
Roy S. Schestowitz | "My signature is never intended to be offensive"
http://Schestowitz.com | Open Prospects Ś PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E

flatfish+++

Sep 16, 2006, 2:09:04 PM9/16/06

For people who can buy commercial software pirated on DVD from Kiosks in
the local shopping mall like you can in FSU, Tawain and other places?

Sure.......

Android

Sep 16, 2006, 2:49:18 PM9/16/06
Roy Schestowitz <newsg...@schestowitz.com> skrev:

> Microsoft's evil plan:

> 1. Produce shoddy software
> 2. Neglect to release patches frequently
> 3. People need to pay for Microsoft Live OneCare to protect their PC's
> 4. ...

Bill $ wants all information closed and he wants monopoly so only
Microsnot shitware can open the closed sources formats.

> 5. Profit!

Microdick gets nothing from me. My computer runs nothing but Free
Software.

Roy Schestowitz

Sep 16, 2006, 2:51:46 PM9/16/06
__/ [ Android ] on Saturday 16 September 2006 19:49 \__

> Roy Schestowitz <newsg...@schestowitz.com> skrev:
>
>> Microsoft's evil plan:
>
>> 1. Produce shoddy software
>> 2. Neglect to release patches frequently
>> 3. People need to pay for Microsoft Live OneCare to protect their PC's
>> 4. ...
>
> Bill $ wants all information closed and he wants monopoly so only
> Microsnot shitware can open the closed sources formats.

You can say /that/ again. But it's only one among dozens of prominent sins
(dirty 'tactics'/'strategies' that stifle competition)

>> 5. Profit!
>
> Microdick gets nothing from me. My computer runs nothing but Free
> Software.

*Thumbs up*

ed

Sep 16, 2006, 2:56:48 PM9/16/06
On 16 Sep 2006 18:49:18 GMT
Android<fr...@software.invalid> wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz <newsg...@schestowitz.com> skrev:
>
> > Microsoft's evil plan:
>
> > 1. Produce shoddy software
> > 2. Neglect to release patches frequently
> > 3. People need to pay for Microsoft Live OneCare to protect their
> > PC's 4. ...
>
> Bill $ wants all information closed and he wants monopoly so only
> Microsnot shitware can open the closed sources formats.

He also wants to prevent you having the ability to work with other
vendors.

--
Regards, Ed :: http://www.usenix.org.uk
just another python person

Roy Schestowitz

Sep 16, 2006, 3:15:56 PM9/16/06
__/ [ ed ] on Saturday 16 September 2006 19:56 \__

> On 16 Sep 2006 18:49:18 GMT
> Android<fr...@software.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Roy Schestowitz <newsg...@schestowitz.com> skrev:
>>
>> > Microsoft's evil plan:
>>
>> > 1. Produce shoddy software
>> > 2. Neglect to release patches frequently
>> > 3. People need to pay for Microsoft Live OneCare to protect their
>> > PC's 4. ...
>>
>> Bill $ wants all information closed and he wants monopoly so only
>> Microsnot shitware can open the closed sources formats.
>
> He also wants to prevent you having the ability to work with other
> vendors.

I'll borrow some backing (among many possibilities).

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.forbes.com/free_forbes/2006/0918/102e.html?partner=yahoomag

As Novell's CEO recently said:

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp is using scare tactics to exert pressure on PC vendors
| not to explore the potential of desktop Linux, according to Novell
| Inc president and COO, Ron Hovsepian
`----

http://www.commentwire.com/article_news.asp?guid=2044AB5A-59CA-4EC3-AD3F-73DF7BC4F8E0

Hovsepian is now CEO.

--
Roy S. Schestowitz | Useless fact: Every polar bear is left-handed
Swap: 1036184k total, 323320k used, 712864k free, 61544k cached

Duane Arnold

Sep 16, 2006, 7:12:30 PM9/16/06

7-Witch needs to be pistol whipped. How do people get into this state of
mind about anything? 7th-Witch acts like this is a life or death
decision being made. I don't know what 7th-Witch is hooked on but
someone tell 7th-Witch that they are just programs written by fillable
Human Being. Maybe, 7 of 9 is from outer space where it thinks it has
something *special*. Linux is a piece of junk written by fillable Human
Beings free or not free, just like everything else.

flatfish+++

Sep 16, 2006, 7:17:25 PM9/16/06

7 is a complete moron, but you will rarely, if ever see a Linux advocate
tell the truth and call a moron a moron.

Anti Microsoft material is what COLA is all about.

Linonut

Sep 16, 2006, 9:29:24 PM9/16/06
After takin' a swig o' grog, flatfish+++ belched out this bit o' wisdom:

Huh? We do it all the time, moron.

--
Intel: where Quality is job number 0.9998782345!

ed

Sep 17, 2006, 6:01:35 AM9/17/06
On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 19:17:25 -0400
flatfish+++ <flat...@linuxmail.org> wrote:

> Anti Microsoft material is what COLA is all about.

Yes, that's true. When a mole says "linux is shit, windows is good"
things do tend to degrade to the lowest common denominator, windows
being shit of course.

--
Regards, Ed :: http://s5h.net/qf
just another c++ hacker

yttrx

Sep 17, 2006, 10:05:09 AM9/17/06

I do that all the time, you creepy motherfucker. Nice of you to fucking
notice.

-----yttrx

--
http://www.yttrx.net