Baidu to Sell Linux

Roy Schestowitz

Sep 6, 2011, 3:02:44โ€ฏPM9/6/11

RonB

Sep 6, 2011, 3:27:49โ€ฏPM9/6/11
On Tue, 06 Sep 2011 20:02:44 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Android: Another fork in the code by Baidu
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Critics of Googleโ€™s Android mobile OS have always been vocal about the
> f-wordโ€“ | fragmentation. From its inception Android has fallen victim to
> Googleโ€™s soft | stance to Android versions and it has been common to see
> at least three or | four versions in the market at any given time. |
> | Last week details emerged about Amazonโ€™s upcoming Kindle Tablet that
> will run | a totally different OS using the Android kernel but little
> else. Then Chinaโ€™s | Baidu announced it will produce its own mobile OS
> using at its core, you | guessed it, Android. There will soon be more
> versions and derivatives of | Android than you can shake a smartphone
> at. `----
>
> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-news/android-another-fork-in-the-code-
by-baidu/4231

Just so long as they all run Angry Birds. :)

I didn't see that Amazon was going to "fork" Android. It doesn't surprise
me as they are kind of setting up their own Android "thing." In some ways,
it's kind of like Oracle leeching off of Red Hat.

--
RonB
Registered Linux User #498581

Kari Laine

Sep 6, 2011, 3:33:58โ€ฏPM9/6/11

Roy Schestowitz

Sep 6, 2011, 4:05:32โ€ฏPM9/6/11

bbgruff

Sep 6, 2011, 4:39:16โ€ฏPM9/6/11

Ron..... isn't that what it's (Linux/FOSS) all about?

RonB

Sep 6, 2011, 4:49:57โ€ฏPM9/6/11

I know. It does get a bid odd, though, when one major competitor can
basically live off the other's work. But, in the end, Amazon probably adds
to Google's Android advertising stream so it's probably a plus for Google.

RonB

Sep 6, 2011, 4:54:01โ€ฏPM9/6/11

Yep. Answered elsewhere as well.

Homer

Sep 6, 2011, 5:35:15โ€ฏPM9/6/11
Verily I say unto thee that Kari Laine spake thusly:

>> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-news/android-another-fork-in-the-code-by-baidu/4231
>
> Bad !

No, good. Very, very good.

More choice is /always/ a good thing since everyone's preferences are
different, so more choice means more chance of your preferences being
catered to.

Diversity is the inevitable consequence of individuality. The two are
inextricably connected. If you dislike one, you must also dislike the
other.

--
K. | A lively young damsel named Menzies
http://slated.org | Inquired: "Do you know what this thenzies?"

TomB

Sep 6, 2011, 6:12:34โ€ฏPM9/6/11
On 2011-09-06, the following emerged from the brain of Homer:

> Verily I say unto thee that Kari Laine spake thusly:
>
>>> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-news/android-another-fork-in-the-code-by-baidu/4231
>>
>> Bad !
>
> No, good. Very, very good.
>
> More choice is /always/ a good thing since everyone's preferences
> are different, so more choice means more chance of your preferences
> being catered to.

The mere availability of a certain choice means that at least /one/
person thought it would be necessary to have that choice. And that's
enough. Those not liking that choice can simply ignore that it's
available and move on with their lives. Why should I care that there
are about 300 different GNU/Linux distros? I'm just using one - the
one I think is the best for me.

> Diversity is the inevitable consequence of individuality. The two
> are inextricably connected. If you dislike one, you must also
> dislike the other.

Well said. I don't get those complaining about 'too much choice' and
'lots of choices can be a detriment'. It's bollocks.

--
We are the COLA herd. Existence as you know it is over. You will be
assimilated. Resistance is futile.

Snit

Sep 6, 2011, 6:21:04โ€ฏPM9/6/11
RonB stated in post j45s7k$gb1$1...@dont-email.me on 9/6/11 12:27 PM:

Making a fork is now "leeching"?

I did not get that memo!

--
๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ™‰๐Ÿ™Š

Snit

Sep 6, 2011, 6:25:15โ€ฏPM9/6/11
RonB stated in post j4611k$gi3$2...@dont-email.me on 9/6/11 1:49 PM:

Do you understand the concept of open source? You can use other's work *for
free*. Freedom. Choice.

Really, why does that seem "odd" to you?

> But, in the end, Amazon probably adds
> to Google's Android advertising stream so it's probably a plus for Google.

--
๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ™‰๐Ÿ™Š

Snit

Sep 6, 2011, 6:27:28โ€ฏPM9/6/11
TomB stated in post 201109070...@usenet.drumscum.be on 9/6/11 3:12 PM:

> On 2011-09-06, the following emerged from the brain of Homer:
>> Verily I say unto thee that Kari Laine spake thusly:

>>> Bad !
>>
>> No, good. Very, very good.
>>
>> More choice is /always/ a good thing since everyone's preferences
>> are different, so more choice means more chance of your preferences
>> being catered to.
>
> The mere availability of a certain choice means that at least /one/
> person thought it would be necessary to have that choice. And that's
> enough. Those not liking that choice can simply ignore that it's
> available and move on with their lives. Why should I care that there
> are about 300 different GNU/Linux distros? I'm just using one - the
> one I think is the best for me.

Sure... I am just surprised to see how some of the COLA "advocates" reacted
to this:

RonB:
-----

It does get a bid odd, though, when one major competitor
can basically live off the other's work.

-----

I do not get what is "odd" about it... assuming one understand the open
source concept.

>> Diversity is the inevitable consequence of individuality. The two
>> are inextricably connected. If you dislike one, you must also
>> dislike the other.
>
> Well said. I don't get those complaining about 'too much choice' and
> 'lots of choices can be a detriment'. It's bollocks.

Well, it depends on your goals if it can be a detriment. But that has been
beaten to death.

--
๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ™‰๐Ÿ™Š

Roy Schestowitz

Sep 6, 2011, 8:02:25โ€ฏPM9/6/11

Roy Schestowitz

Sep 6, 2011, 8:04:44โ€ฏPM9/6/11

Roy Schestowitz

Sep 6, 2011, 8:05:41โ€ฏPM9/6/11

Sneaky Weasel

Sep 6, 2011, 8:34:53โ€ฏPM9/6/11
On 09/06/2011 02:35 PM, Homer wrote:
> Verily I say unto thee that Kari Laine spake thusly:
>
>>> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-news/android-another-fork-in-the-code-by-baidu/4231
>>
>> Bad !
>
> No, good. Very, very good.
>
> More choice is /always/ a good thing since everyone's preferences are
> different, so more choice means more chance of your preferences being
> catered to.
>
> Diversity is the inevitable consequence of individuality. The two are
> inextricably connected. If you dislike one, you must also dislike the
> other.

Try telling that to the anti-choice Shits in COLA.

Snit

Sep 6, 2011, 9:14:46โ€ฏPM9/6/11
Roy Schestowitz stated in post 1814069.F...@schestowitz.com on 9/6/11
5:02 PM:

>>> Diversity is the inevitable consequence of individuality. The two
>>> are inextricably connected. If you dislike one, you must also
>>> dislike the other.
>>
>> Well said. I don't get those complaining about 'too much choice' and
>> 'lots of choices can be a detriment'. It's bollocks.
>
> Android thrives /despite/ having forks. This is not the first.

Are you implying their are downsides to forks?

--
๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ™‰๐Ÿ™Š

Sneaky Weasel

Sep 6, 2011, 9:34:31โ€ฏPM9/6/11
You can not eat soup with them.

Snit

Sep 6, 2011, 9:35:56โ€ฏPM9/6/11
Sneaky Weasel stated in post 4e66ca2b$1...@news.x-privat.org on 9/6/11 6:34 PM:

:) Well done.

--
๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ™‰๐Ÿ™Š

Roy Schestowitz

Sep 7, 2011, 5:39:02โ€ฏAM9/7/11

TomB

Sep 7, 2011, 7:28:12โ€ฏAM9/7/11
On 2011-09-07, the following emerged from the brain of Sneaky Weasel:
Rofl, good one :-D

chrisv

Sep 7, 2011, 8:16:59โ€ฏAM9/7/11
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>>> That's part of the social contract.
>>
>> I know. It does get a bid odd, though, when one major competitor can
>> basically live off the other's work. But, in the end, Amazon probably adds
>> to Google's Android advertising stream so it's probably a plus for Google.
>
>Red Hat too lives off the others' work. It didn't start GNU and doesn't
>work as the sole Linux developer.
>
>Code -- like ideas -- is usually an assemblage of what those before you did.
>This is also why patents are absurd; prior art is everywhere.

As long as the respect the license(s), there is no "leaching".

chrisv

Sep 7, 2011, 8:18:48โ€ฏAM9/7/11
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>> Try telling that to the anti-choice Shits in COLA.
>
>I thought you wrote Snits and then I got closer to the monitor.

Snit = Shit. The words are interchangeable.

Javier Fuego

Sep 7, 2011, 8:18:57โ€ฏAM9/7/11

useless asshole "chrisv" <chr...@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

shut the fsck up and quit lieing you mentally ill piece of shit.

"chrisv" is a liar. "chrisv" is a piece of shit.

Javier Fuego

Sep 7, 2011, 8:19:44โ€ฏAM9/7/11

useless dog shit "chrisv" <chr...@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

"chrisv" = "useless piece of shit asshole"

the two are equivalent.

"chrisv" is a liar. "chrisv" is a piece of rat shit.

chrisv

Sep 7, 2011, 8:22:15โ€ฏAM9/7/11
TomB wrote:

> Homer wrote:
>>
>> More choice is /always/ a good thing since everyone's preferences
>> are different, so more choice means more chance of your preferences
>> being catered to.
>
>The mere availability of a certain choice means that at least /one/
>person thought it would be necessary to have that choice. And that's
>enough. Those not liking that choice can simply ignore that it's
>available and move on with their lives. Why should I care that there
>are about 300 different GNU/Linux distros? I'm just using one - the
>one I think is the best for me.
>
>> Diversity is the inevitable consequence of individuality. The two
>> are inextricably connected. If you dislike one, you must also
>> dislike the other.
>
>Well said. I don't get those complaining about 'too much choice' and
>'lots of choices can be a detriment'. It's bollocks.

More choice is never bad from the consumer side. It can be too
expensive to maintain on the supply side, but if that's the case
free-market forces will naturally cause consolidation. No
"committees" needed.

Javier Fuego

Sep 7, 2011, 8:23:25โ€ฏAM9/7/11

useless asshole "chrisv" <chr...@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

snip UNREAD. more DOCUMENTED lies from the mentally ill piece of shit
JACKASS.

Roy Schestowitz

Sep 7, 2011, 10:19:10โ€ฏAM9/7/11

Roy Schestowitz

Sep 7, 2011, 10:20:14โ€ฏAM9/7/11

Snit

Sep 7, 2011, 10:25:43โ€ฏAM9/7/11
chrisv stated in post 88oe67tpqerli7qjo...@4ax.com on 9/7/11
5:18 AM:

No, you are just illiterate.

--
๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ™‰๐Ÿ™Š

Snit

Sep 7, 2011, 11:02:44โ€ฏAM9/7/11
Roy Schestowitz stated in post 4704576.y...@schestowitz.com on 9/7/11
7:19 AM:

>>> I thought you wrote Snits and then I got closer to the monitor.
>>
>> Snit = Shit. The words are interchangeable.
>
> The monitor is too far away from me, about a meter away, so when the troll
> entered the IRC channels I assume it was a troll named "shit". In COLA
> I just never see this name, except when fed by a non-troll (or non-shit).

Too bad you are not able to respond to my comments about your FUD. Maybe
some day you will gain more faith in your claims.

--
๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ™‰๐Ÿ™Š

Hadron

Sep 7, 2011, 11:14:03โ€ฏAM9/7/11
Roy Schestowitz <newsg...@schestowitz.com> writes:

> Android: Another fork in the code by Baidu
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Critics of Googleโ€™s Android mobile OS have always been vocal about the f-wordโ€“
> | fragmentation. From its inception Android has fallen victim to Googleโ€™s soft
> | stance to Android versions and it has been common to see at least three or
> | four versions in the market at any given time.
> |
> | Last week details emerged about Amazonโ€™s upcoming Kindle Tablet that will run
> | a totally different OS using the Android kernel but little else. Then Chinaโ€™s
> | Baidu announced it will produce its own mobile OS using at its core, you
> | guessed it, Android. There will soon be more versions and derivatives of
> | Android than you can shake a smartphone at.
> `----
>
> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-news/android-another-fork-in-the-code-by-baidu/4231

Its almost as if these idiots want to screw up the inroads Android has
made.

Hadron

Sep 7, 2011, 11:15:05โ€ฏAM9/7/11
RonB <ronb02...@gmail.com> writes:

> I didn't see that Amazon was going to "fork" Android. It doesn't surprise
> me as they are kind of setting up their own Android "thing." In some ways,
> it's kind of like Oracle leeching off of Red Hat.

So forking OSS is now leeching?

Jesus, you're an idiot Schestowitz.

Bobby Coyle

Sep 7, 2011, 11:36:45โ€ฏAM9/7/11
On Wed, 07 Sep 2011 15:20:14 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> One person's leeching is another person's inspiration. Why criminalise
> sharing of ideas?

Only the do nothing sponges like yourself think like that.

Many people want to protect their work and want to be compensated
for the investment they have made.
These are the smart people. You know the ones who are CEO of Fortune
100 companies.

The do nothing sponges are the leeches.

You sound like a demented Robin Hood.

That being said, as long as the license, whatever the license may
be, is honored then who cares if people wish to share information?
In that respect it's obviously a positive thing.

Bobby Coyle

Sep 7, 2011, 11:37:48โ€ฏAM9/7/11
And maybe someday he will discover girls.
Both are highly unlikely to happen.

Bobby Coyle

Sep 7, 2011, 11:43:44โ€ฏAM9/7/11

The shithead goes with the flow and what he can exploit for his own
gain. These days it's cablegate which even some of the top, well
known bloggers won't go near.
It's just far too hot and dangerous.
The shithead wants to play with the big boys and that's brave or
maybe stupid of him but he has neither the brains nor the financial
resources not to mention highly vulnerable servers to be able to put
up a fight.
He will be crushed.

The shithead is either so naive that he thinks he is above being
investigated or he is just too fucking stupid to care.

Let's see how many of his "tweeting lackeys" are still hanging
around when they put the bracelets on him. The shithead will become
another non entity just like Hans Reiser. He had better start saving
his spam money for a 55 gallon drum of KY Jelly because he is going
to need it when they put him in Bubba's cell.

Snit

Sep 7, 2011, 1:01:49โ€ฏPM9/7/11
Roy Schestowitz stated in post 3353559.F...@schestowitz.com on 9/7/11
7:20 AM:

> ____/ chrisv on Wednesday 07 Sep 2011 13:16 : \____

>>> Red Hat too lives off the others' work. It didn't start GNU and doesn't
>>> work as the sole Linux developer.
>>>
>>> Code -- like ideas -- is usually an assemblage of what those before you did.
>>> This is also why patents are absurd; prior art is everywhere.
>>
>> As long as the respect the license(s), there is no "leaching".
>
> One person's leeching is another person's inspiration. Why criminalise
> sharing of ideas?

You have noted how you thought Apple had to be pushed to follow GPL rules...
as if it was wrong for them to use the ideas as they wished.

Of course, the GPL is an IP license and those who use GPL code *should*
follow the rules.

--
๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ™‰๐Ÿ™Š

Kari Laine

Sep 7, 2011, 1:05:42โ€ฏPM9/7/11

On 09/07/2011 01:12 AM, TomB wrote:
> On 2011-09-06, the following emerged from the brain of Homer:

>> Verily I say unto thee that Kari Laine spake thusly:

>>> Bad !
>>
>> No, good. Very, very good.
>>

>> More choice is /always/ a good thing since everyone's preferences
>> are different, so more choice means more chance of your preferences
>> being catered to.
>
> The mere availability of a certain choice means that at least /one/
> person thought it would be necessary to have that choice. And that's
> enough. Those not liking that choice can simply ignore that it's
> available and move on with their lives. Why should I care that there
> are about 300 different GNU/Linux distros? I'm just using one - the
> one I think is the best for me.
>
>> Diversity is the inevitable consequence of individuality. The two
>> are inextricably connected. If you dislike one, you must also
>> dislike the other.
>
> Well said. I don't get those complaining about 'too much choice' and
> 'lots of choices can be a detriment'. It's bollocks.

You and Homer are right in a way.

But I see some problems from the other side also. There are number Linux
distributions which is good and luckily many of those distros are
special. So if one discuss main desktop distros then maybe there is 30
options. For example I have never liked Ubuntu because it is GNOME. I
like OpenSUSE because of it's reliability and KDE seems to be good
supported. Now then Mint is based on Ubuntu and the short test I have
made with it (I will continue testing it) - I like it and will recommend
it. So choice is good!

But I also have a hope that ISV will start support Linux platform and
those companies are pointing choice as bad. They calculate how much it
will cost them to support all main distros.

Linux really needs the support of closed source companies. FOSS can not
replace all the apps in near future, there simply exists too many programs.

On the mobile front. I think choice is good in a way that there are many
different form factors in hardware available but if that splinters the
developers to marginally small parts of the market they might start
looking to a more homogenous market - iOS. Therefore I hope there will
exists an open source standard platform with market share about 40%-50%
which developers can target.

But we will see. And these are only my opinions and I am quite often
wrong...

--
Kari Laine

PICs, Displays,Relays - USB-SPI-I2C http://www.byvac.com
USB and FPGA boards http://www.ztex.de
I am just a happy customer

Snit

Sep 7, 2011, 1:09:09โ€ฏPM9/7/11
chrisv stated in post l9oe679hs30lbsrqg...@4ax.com on 9/7/11
5:22 AM:

If your goal is to sell product, having too much choice can be a bad thing
and not just because it is hard to maintain supply.

--
๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ™‰๐Ÿ™Š

chrisv

Sep 7, 2011, 1:34:45โ€ฏPM9/7/11
Kari Laine wrote:

>So choice is good!
>
>But I also have a hope that ISV will start support Linux platform and
>those companies are pointing choice as bad. They calculate how much it
>will cost them to support all main distros.

If it's not economically viable for them to support (insert distro
here) then they won't. Simple as that.

You may personally wish that, say, Quicken ran on Ubuntu, but in a
healthy free market some people will be dissatisfied.

Many people are often wishing for choices that the market has deemed
too expensive to offer. I know I do.

We live with it. We may bitch and moan about it, but we also don't
organize "committees" that seek to limit other's choices so that we
can get what we want.

We let the free market work. The decision of the free market cannot
be improved-upon.

>Linux really needs the support of closed source companies.

It already has what the market has determined that it needs at this
time. That may shift with time, but some leading-edge applications
will be too expensive for Free software to support. The closed-source
model does have its place in the market.

Javier Fuego

Sep 7, 2011, 1:37:44โ€ฏPM9/7/11

asshole "chrisv" <chr...@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

shut the fsck up you stupid asshole. nobody gives a shit what a documented
liar like you says.

"chrisv" is a liar. "chrisv" is a piece of shit.

Snit

Sep 7, 2011, 2:00:26โ€ฏPM9/7/11
chrisv stated in post th9f67p1u80v7c3tq...@4ax.com on 9/7/11
10:34 AM:
My goodness... chrisv has been reading my comments!

--
๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ™‰๐Ÿ™Š

Sneaky Weasel

Sep 7, 2011, 2:41:51โ€ฏPM9/7/11
Where does he go where there are only 4 or 5 items on the menu? What a
fucking joke.

Sneaky Weasel

Sep 7, 2011, 2:42:27โ€ฏPM9/7/11

Adding to it does not screw it up. What an idiot you are Mr. Snit sock.

Sneaky Weasel

Sep 7, 2011, 2:45:14โ€ฏPM9/7/11
On 09/07/2011 04:28 AM, TomB wrote:
> On 2011-09-07, the following emerged from the brain of Sneaky Weasel:
>> On 09/06/2011 06:14 PM, Snit wrote:
>>> Roy Schestowitz stated in post 1814069.F...@schestowitz.com
>>> on 9/6/11 5:02 PM:

>>> Are you implying their are downsides to forks?
>>
>> You can not eat soup with them.
>
> Rofl, good one :-D

Snit hates forks because then people have choice.

Snit

Sep 7, 2011, 3:08:31โ€ฏPM9/7/11
Sneaky Weasel stated in post 4e67bb15$1...@news.x-privat.org on 9/7/11 11:42
AM:
You will make the herd proud.

--
๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ™‰๐Ÿ™Š

Snit

Sep 7, 2011, 3:09:11โ€ฏPM9/7/11
Sneaky Weasel stated in post 4e67bbbc$1...@news.x-privat.org on 9/7/11 11:45
AM:
When did I speak out about forks? Please quote where I did so.

--
๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ™‰๐Ÿ™Š

Chris Ahlstrom

Sep 7, 2011, 3:33:00โ€ฏPM9/7/11
Sneaky Weasel wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

You talking about cc? Most likely he goes to Hardee's, where the menu
is short and he can order a Thick Burger.

--
I am a bookaholic. If you are a decent person, you will not sell me
another book.

cc

Sep 7, 2011, 4:37:48โ€ฏPM9/7/11
On Sep 7, 3:33ย pm, Chris Ahlstrom <ahlstr...@xzoozy.com> wrote:
> Sneaky Weasel wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>
> > On 09/07/2011 05:22 AM, chrisv wrote:
>
> >> More choice is never bad from the consumer side. ย It can be too
> >> expensive to maintain on the supply side, but if that's the case
> >> free-market forces will naturally cause consolidation. ย No
> >> "committees" needed.
>
> > Where does he go where there are only 4 or 5 items on the menu? What a
> > fucking joke.
>
> You talking about cc? ย Most likely he goes to Hardee's, where the menu
> is short and he can order a Thick Burger.

Highly ironic considering you're talking to a person who considers
Hardee's to have a huge menu, and also considers anything other than
fast food a place for rich people and not a place where people eat.

--
"I forge posts." - Snit

Clog_-_wog (ยฎ)

Sep 7, 2011, 4:53:50โ€ฏPM9/7/11
"Homer" <use...@slated.org> schreef in bericht

> Verily I say unto thee that Kari Laine spake thusly:
>
>>> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-news/android-another-fork-in-the-code-by-baidu/4231
>>
>> Bad !
>
> No, good. Very, very good.
>
> More choice is /always/ a good thing since everyone's preferences are
> different, so more choice means more chance of your preferences being
> catered to.
>
> Diversity is the inevitable consequence of individuality. The two are
> inextricably connected. If you dislike one, you must also dislike the
> other.

Amen
Let's Welcome Windows 8 More choice is /always/ a good thing since
everyone's preferences are different!

Clogwog

Sep 7, 2011, 5:00:35โ€ฏPM9/7/11
"Sneaky Weasel" <Sne...@Weasel.com> schreef in bericht

Why are you always in attack mode?, you utterly fuckwitted nincompoop.

bbgruff

Sep 7, 2011, 6:37:02โ€ฏPM9/7/11
On Tuesday 06 September 2011 20:02 Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Android: Another fork in the code by Baidu

It's worth reading what Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols has to say about it - it
boils down to "This is *not* a fork"!

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/no-android-forks-here/9485

Roy Schestowitz

Sep 7, 2011, 8:20:13โ€ฏPM9/7/11

Snit

Sep 7, 2011, 8:26:44โ€ฏPM9/7/11
Roy Schestowitz stated in post 2023344.2...@schestowitz.com on 9/7/11
5:20 PM:

> ____/ bbgruff on Wednesday 07 Sep 2011 23:37 : \____
>
>> On Tuesday 06 September 2011 20:02 Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> Android: Another fork in the code by Baidu
>>
>> It's worth reading what Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols has to say about it - it
>> boils down to "This is *not* a fork"!
>>
>> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/no-android-forks-here/9485
>
> Yes, I've posted a link to this column today. :-D

Android is the whole OS - not just the kernel.

--
๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ™‰๐Ÿ™Š

Homer

Sep 8, 2011, 12:26:02โ€ฏAM9/8/11
Verily I say unto thee that Chris Ahlstrom spake thusly:
> Sneaky Weasel wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>> On 09/07/2011 05:22 AM, chrisv wrote:
>>>
>>> More choice is never bad from the consumer side. It can be too
>>> expensive to maintain on the supply side, but if that's the case
>>> free-market forces will naturally cause consolidation. No
>>> "committees" needed.
>>
>> Where does he go where there are only 4 or 5 items on the menu? What
>> a fucking joke.
>
> You talking about cc? Most likely he goes to Hardee's, where the menu
> is short and he can order a Thick Burger.

And a Thick Shake to go with it.

--
K. | A lively young damsel named Menzies
http://slated.org | Inquired: "Do you know what this thenzies?"
Fedora 8 (Werewolf) on ลกky | Her aunt, with a gasp, replied: "It's a wasp,
kernel 2.6.31.5, up 107 days | And you're holding the end where the stenzies."

Homer

Sep 8, 2011, 1:18:23โ€ฏAM9/8/11
Verily I say unto thee that Kari Laine spake thusly:

> But I also have a hope that ISV will start support Linux platform and
> those companies are pointing choice as bad. They calculate how much it
> will cost them to support all main distros.

But they don't have to "support all main distros", they just have to
pick one and run with it for their appliance. E.g. a Point Of Sale
software vendor doesn't need to care if his software works on every
GNU/Linux distro, as long as it works on the one he provides with his
equipment.

Similarly, application developers don't need to "support all main
distros". If it's Free Software then they just provide the source, and
let /us/ "support" it on whatever distro we want (e.g. a distro package
maintainer). If it's proprietary software then they can just provide
static ELF binaries in at least x86_32 format, and not worry about
keeping up with dependencies.

It's only if they want to provide proprietary software that uses shared
dependencies that they need to "support all main distros" independently,
and continually update those binaries to match updated dependencies. And
the fact is if they're linking to Free Software in such a dependent
manner, then it's likely they'd be legally required to license those
components using the same Free Software license anyway (certainly in the
case of the GPL), so they wouldn't need to "keep up" with dependencies,
since we'd do that for them. Even if that wasn't the case, they still
wouldn't need to "support all main distros", since they could just pick
one distro and one architecture then run with it, if running a
cross-platform buildsystem is such an "overwhelming chore" for them.

Red Hat's Koji somehow manages to rebuild gigabytes of multi-arch,
multi-release software every day, mostly automatically, so I fail to see
how it would be so difficult for an application vendor to do the same
with just one application.

There is absolutely no excuse for any software vendor to not support
GNU/Linux.

> Linux really needs the support of closed source companies. FOSS can
> not replace all the apps in near future, there simply exists too many
> programs.

Yes, and most of them are junk. The few that are any good already have
perfectly adequate Free Software counterparts, but if you really insist
on running proprietary software then why not just run a proprietary OS
like Windows?

Sorry, but I just don't get it. Why switch to GNU/Linux just to drag
your proprietary garbage with you?

If "support of closed source companies" means infesting Free Software
with a bunch of buggy, insecure, bloated, expensive, inflexible, mystery
blobs that only work on a limited selection of architectures and
distros, then frankly they can shove it.

Why would I want that? And if I /did/ want it then why wouldn't I just
run Windows and be done with it?

The whole purpose of GNU/Linux is to *get away* from all that nonsense,
and be an /alternative/ to Windows and its menagerie of crapware, not be
Yet Another Crap Proprietary OS filled with crap proprietary garbage.

Homer

Sep 8, 2011, 1:28:06โ€ฏAM9/8/11
Verily I say unto thee that Roy Schestowitz spake thusly:

> One person's leeching is another person's inspiration. Why criminalise
> sharing of ideas?

All ideas are derivative and accretive, therefore the premise that
sharing ideas can possibly be somehow "wrong" is simply nonsensical.
They only exist in the first place /because/ they were shared.

Bobby Coyle

Sep 8, 2011, 1:41:51โ€ฏAM9/8/11
On Thu, 8 Sep 2011 06:28:06 +0100, Homer wrote:

> Verily I say unto thee that Roy Schestowitz spake thusly:
>
>> One person's leeching is another person's inspiration. Why criminalise
>> sharing of ideas?
>
> All ideas are derivative and accretive, therefore the premise that
> sharing ideas can possibly be somehow "wrong" is simply nonsensical.
> They only exist in the first place /because/ they were shared.

Key word "leeching" which implies information that was not meant to
be shared freely.

Bobby Coyle

Sep 8, 2011, 1:48:17โ€ฏAM9/8/11

Again, if the sharing respects the license, if there is one, then I
agree with the statement. Inspiration sometimes needs a trigger.

Sharing in that case is fantastic and leads to better productivity
for all because ultimately some of the sharing will filter back and
improve the original idea.

The scientific community has worked like this for ages.

Snit

Sep 8, 2011, 2:08:38โ€ฏAM9/8/11
Homer stated in post vpvlj8-...@sky.matrix on 9/7/11 10:18 PM:

> Verily I say unto thee that Kari Laine spake thusly:
>>
>> But I also have a hope that ISV will start support Linux platform and
>> those companies are pointing choice as bad. They calculate how much it
>> will cost them to support all main distros.
>
> But they don't have to "support all main distros", they just have to
> pick one and run with it for their appliance. E.g. a Point Of Sale
> software vendor doesn't need to care if his software works on every
> GNU/Linux distro, as long as it works on the one he provides with his
> equipment.

But if you do not support the distro of choice of a company, then they will
not use your product. Sure, you can get some single-use computers where you
can dictate the distro, at least to some extent, but then you are not really
talking a desktop system.

> Similarly, application developers don't need to "support all main
> distros". If it's Free Software then they just provide the source, and
> let /us/ "support" it on whatever distro we want (e.g. a distro package
> maintainer). If it's proprietary software then they can just provide
> static ELF binaries in at least x86_32 format, and not worry about
> keeping up with dependencies.

Ah, yes... let others support the software. And give your company a bad
name.

That is a *significant* risk.

> It's only if they want to provide proprietary software that uses shared
> dependencies that they need to "support all main distros" independently,
> and continually update those binaries to match updated dependencies. And
> the fact is if they're linking to Free Software in such a dependent
> manner, then it's likely they'd be legally required to license those
> components using the same Free Software license anyway (certainly in the
> case of the GPL), so they wouldn't need to "keep up" with dependencies,
> since we'd do that for them. Even if that wasn't the case, they still
> wouldn't need to "support all main distros", since they could just pick
> one distro and one architecture then run with it, if running a
> cross-platform buildsystem is such an "overwhelming chore" for them.

So you have a combined desktop Linux user base of about 1%. Now you say just
support one distro. Say that one distro has half the desktop Linux users...
though I am not sure even Ubuntu is that high... but that still means 0.5%.

And then that distro changes a lot with little warning, as Ubuntu did.

Toast.

> Red Hat's Koji somehow manages to rebuild gigabytes of multi-arch,
> multi-release software every day, mostly automatically, so I fail to see
> how it would be so difficult for an application vendor to do the same
> with just one application.

Right: you fail to see it.

> There is absolutely no excuse for any software vendor to not support
> GNU/Linux.

Yeah, because the world *owes* you.

>> Linux really needs the support of closed source companies. FOSS can
>> not replace all the apps in near future, there simply exists too many
>> programs.
>
> Yes, and most of them are junk. The few that are any good already have
> perfectly adequate Free Software counterparts,

Utter BS. Sure, there are some best-of-class programs which are open
source... but many others areas where closed source programs are simply
better.

> but if you really insist
> on running proprietary software then why not just run a proprietary OS
> like Windows?

And people do that. The vast majority. And then you whine that MS is evil
because they are... even though you, here, are agreeing these people should
*pick* Windows (or, presumably, OS X).

> Sorry, but I just don't get it. Why switch to GNU/Linux just to drag
> your proprietary garbage with you?

Then why switch to desktop Linux at all, given how much of the best-of-class
programs are proprietary.

Nice self-nuke by you, Homer.

> If "support of closed source companies" means infesting Free Software
> with a bunch of buggy, insecure, bloated, expensive, inflexible, mystery
> blobs that only work on a limited selection of architectures and
> distros, then frankly they can shove it.

What? Where did that rant come from?

> Why would I want that? And if I /did/ want it then why wouldn't I just
> run Windows and be done with it?

Your bias is just amazing.

> The whole purpose of GNU/Linux is to *get away* from all that nonsense,
> and be an /alternative/ to Windows and its menagerie of crapware, not be
> Yet Another Crap Proprietary OS filled with crap proprietary garbage.

That is the *purpose* of GNU/Linux in your mind. Wow.

That borders on insanity.

--
๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ™‰๐Ÿ™Š

Snit

Sep 8, 2011, 2:10:30โ€ฏAM9/8/11
Homer stated in post 6c0mj8-...@sky.matrix on 9/7/11 10:28 PM:

> Verily I say unto thee that Roy Schestowitz spake thusly:
>
>> One person's leeching is another person's inspiration. Why criminalise
>> sharing of ideas?
>
> All ideas are derivative and accretive, therefore the premise that
> sharing ideas can possibly be somehow "wrong" is simply nonsensical.

So OSS advocates were wrong to whine about Apple using open source stuff as
they wished. After all, they did no wrong in accepting the fruits of
sharing.

Frankly I disagree: the code had a license and Apple should follow it. As
it is, they were about 2 months behind in releasing code, so the whole thing
was overblown.

> They only exist in the first place /because/ they were shared.

Sad how you place such little value on ideas.

--
๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ™‰๐Ÿ™Š

Snit

Sep 8, 2011, 2:12:06โ€ฏAM9/8/11
Bobby Coyle stated in post j49kj4$qm$1...@speranza.aioe.org on 9/7/11 10:41 PM:

Homer sees no value in ideas.

Says something about his own. :)

--
๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ™‰๐Ÿ™Š

Gregory Shearman

Sep 8, 2011, 5:27:55โ€ฏAM9/8/11
On 2011-09-08, Homer <use...@slated.org> wrote:

> The whole purpose of GNU/Linux is to *get away* from all that nonsense,
> and be an /alternative/ to Windows and its menagerie of crapware, not be
> Yet Another Crap Proprietary OS filled with crap proprietary garbage.

I give this 2 thumbs up.

Thanks Homer. I couldn't have put it better myself. In fact, I probably
would have added a few choice swear words.

I moved to GNU/Linux to get away from the proprietary "mystery bag"
software that does things behind your back and has a main focus of
selling itself and more of related shitware, rather than a focus on the
problem which purportedly needs solving, or the service required of the
software.

I've nothing against the use of proprietary software on GNU/Linux, but
it must be on the terms of Linux. Why give up our freedom? Otherwise we
may as well move to Windows.

--
Regards,
Gregory.

Chummy

Sep 8, 2011, 5:30:11โ€ฏAM9/8/11
On 8 Sep 2011 09:27:55 GMT, Gregory Shearman wrote:

> On 2011-09-08, Homer <use...@slated.org> wrote:
>>
>> The whole purpose of GNU/Linux is to *get away* from all that nonsense,
>> and be an /alternative/ to Windows and its menagerie of crapware, not be
>> Yet Another Crap Proprietary OS filled with crap proprietary garbage.
>>
> I give this 2 thumbs up.

Both of which are up your ass for sure.

The herd stampeded on.

Roy Schestowitz

Sep 8, 2011, 6:40:00โ€ฏAM9/8/11

Homer

Sep 8, 2011, 7:01:15โ€ฏAM9/8/11
Verily I say unto thee that Gregory Shearman spake thusly:
Yes, by all means lets have companies selling licenses for proprietary
applications and games on GNU/Linux, but if those companies (or more
likely, GNU/Linux detractors) have some expectation that GNU/Linux is
going to mutate into some "unified", restricted version of itself, in
direct contradiction to the principles of freedom and diversity that it
exists to serve, simply to "make life easy" for those vendors, then they
can get stuffed, and take their "unified" proprietary junk with them.

I can live without their proprietary software, I can't live without
freedom and diversity.

Homer

Sep 8, 2011, 7:35:41โ€ฏAM9/8/11
Verily I say unto thee that Roy Schestowitz spake thusly:
> ____/ Homer on Thursday 08 Sep 2011 06:28 : \____
>> Verily I say unto thee that Roy Schestowitz spake thusly:
>>
>>> One person's leeching is another person's inspiration. Why
>>> criminalise sharing of ideas?
>>
>> All ideas are derivative and accretive, therefore the premise that
>> sharing ideas can possibly be somehow "wrong" is simply nonsensical.
>> They only exist in the first place /because/ they were shared.
>
> Imagine a high school where the students have to "license" lessons.

They already do. It's called "ICT", a.k.a. "learning Microsoft".

Didn't the Authors Guild of America claim that reading aloud was a
"copyright violation"?

K. | A lively young damsel named Menzies
http://slated.org | Inquired: "Do you know what this thenzies?"
Fedora 8 (Werewolf) on ลกky | Her aunt, with a gasp, replied: "It's a wasp,
kernel 2.6.31.5, up 108 days | And you're holding the end where the stenzies."

Roy Schestowitz

Sep 8, 2011, 8:20:25โ€ฏAM9/8/11

Chris Ahlstrom

Sep 8, 2011, 8:46:10โ€ฏAM9/8/11
Chummy wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

Go away, Flounder.

--
Oh yeah. Forgot about those. Getting senile, I guess...
-- Larry Wall in <1997102615...@wall.org>

Homer

Sep 8, 2011, 9:51:45โ€ฏAM9/8/11
Verily I say unto thee that Roy Schestowitz spake thusly:
> ____/ Homer on Thursday 08 Sep 2011 12:35 : \____
>> Verily I say unto thee that Roy Schestowitz spake thusly:
>>> ____/ Homer on Thursday 08 Sep 2011 06:28 : \____

>>> Imagine a high school where the students have to "license" lessons.
>>
>> They already do. It's called "ICT", a.k.a. "learning Microsoft".
>>
>> Didn't the Authors Guild of America claim that reading aloud was a
>> "copyright violation"?
>>
>> http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20090225/1115563902.shtml
>
> How about if you only read aloud to a stable with horses?

The UK PRS (Performing Rights Scumbags) has that one covered too. They
tried to extort money from a woman for playing *200 year-old* classical
music *to her horses*.

I wonder how they intend paying Mozart his royalties, considering he's
been dead since 1791.

What a racket.

Roy Schestowitz

Sep 8, 2011, 11:01:50โ€ฏAM9/8/11

____/ Homer on Thursday 08 Sep 2011 14:51 : \____

> Verily I say unto thee that Roy Schestowitz spake thusly:
>> ____/ Homer on Thursday 08 Sep 2011 12:35 : \____
>>> Verily I say unto thee that Roy Schestowitz spake thusly:

>>> They already do. It's called "ICT", a.k.a. "learning Microsoft".
>>>
>>> Didn't the Authors Guild of America claim that reading aloud was a
>>> "copyright violation"?
>>>
>>> http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20090225/1115563902.shtml
>>
>> How about if you only read aloud to a stable with horses?
>
> The UK PRS (Performing Rights Scumbags) has that one covered too. They
> tried to extort money from a woman for playing *200 year-old* classical
> music *to her horses*.
>
> http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20090327/1113014276.shtml
>
> I wonder how they intend paying Mozart his royalties, considering he's
> been dead since 1791.
>
> What a racket.

There are also some grand-*-children thinking they deserve welfare for
their dynasty. The West promotes a sense of over-entitlement/'privilegism'

- --
~~ Best of wishes

http://Schestowitz.com | GNU/Linux administration | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
Contact Internet phone (SIP): sches...@ekiga.net (24/7)

Snit

Sep 8, 2011, 12:19:28โ€ฏPM9/8/11
Roy Schestowitz stated in post 1804335.d...@schestowitz.com on 9/8/11
3:40 AM:

> ____/ Homer on Thursday 08 Sep 2011 06:28 : \____
>
>> Verily I say unto thee that Roy Schestowitz spake thusly:
>>
>>> One person's leeching is another person's inspiration. Why criminalise
>>> sharing of ideas?
>>
>> All ideas are derivative and accretive, therefore the premise that
>> sharing ideas can possibly be somehow "wrong" is simply nonsensical.
>> They only exist in the first place /because/ they were shared.
>
> Imagine a high school where the students have to "license" lessons.

Not sure what you even mean by this. The lessons often are licensed.

--
๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ™‰๐Ÿ™Š

Chummy

Sep 8, 2011, 12:21:55โ€ฏPM9/8/11
On Thu, 08 Sep 2011 11:40 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> ____/ Homer on Thursday 08 Sep 2011 06:28 : \____
>
>> Verily I say unto thee that Roy Schestowitz spake thusly:
>>
>>> One person's leeching is another person's inspiration. Why criminalise
>>> sharing of ideas?
>>
>> All ideas are derivative and accretive, therefore the premise that
>> sharing ideas can possibly be somehow "wrong" is simply nonsensical.
>> They only exist in the first place /because/ they were shared.
>
> Imagine a high school where the students have to "license" lessons.

Imagine one where Linux was foisted upon them
When they graduated and went to look for jobs or secondary school
they wouldn't know anything about the OS that the other 90 percent
of the earth uses, Windows.

Snit

Sep 8, 2011, 12:39:32โ€ฏPM9/8/11
Roy Schestowitz stated in post 2499400.Q...@schestowitz.com on 9/8/11
5:20 AM:

> ____/ Homer on Thursday 08 Sep 2011 12:35 : \____
>
>> Verily I say unto thee that Roy Schestowitz spake thusly:
>>> ____/ Homer on Thursday 08 Sep 2011 06:28 : \____

>>> Imagine a high school where the students have to "license" lessons.
>>
>> They already do. It's called "ICT", a.k.a. "learning Microsoft".
>>
>> Didn't the Authors Guild of America claim that reading aloud was a
>> "copyright violation"?
>>
>> http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20090225/1115563902.shtml
>
> How about if you only read aloud to a stable with horses?

You will still have neigh sayers. :)

--
๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ™‰๐Ÿ™Š

Homer

Sep 8, 2011, 12:41:36โ€ฏPM9/8/11
Verily I say unto thee that Chris Ahlstrom spake thusly:
> Chummy wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>

> Go away, Flounder.

It's Snit. He's in stalker mode.

--
K. | A lively young damsel named Menzies
http://slated.org | Inquired: "Do you know what this thenzies?"
Fedora 8 (Werewolf) on ลกky | Her aunt, with a gasp, replied: "It's a wasp,
kernel 2.6.31.5, up 108 days | And you're holding the end where the stenzies."

Snit

Sep 8, 2011, 1:22:00โ€ฏPM9/8/11
Homer stated in post 0r7nj8-...@sky.matrix on 9/8/11 9:41 AM:

> Verily I say unto thee that Chris Ahlstrom spake thusly:
>> Chummy wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>>

>> Go away, Flounder.
>
> It's Snit. He's in stalker mode.

Oh! Oh! Show the evidence that it is me.

Wait.

You have none.

Because it is not.

But do not worry - the herd will not call you on your false accusations.

--
๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ™‰๐Ÿ™Š