I was TRICKED into Linux

1 view

Johansen

Sep 15, 2006, 5:16:58 PM9/15/06
I'm a man well above average intelligence. Despite of that, some Linux
advocates on the internet convinced me, that Linux was superior, easy and
had all that Windows had plus more. "It was easely installed, everyone
could do it." How would I ever fall for that!

1) When I installed Linux, the Windows partition was erased. Devices
wasn't detected. Nothing worked properly. I couldn't even go into X.
That was the so-called "easy" installation.

2) When I attempted to install the drivers, I found out Linux
almost doesn't come with hardware support! I had to install "patches"
in the kernel source-code to get simple things working.

4) Finally, when I had the most basic things set up, I would install some
"packages", but only to find out, Linux applications have MORE chrashes
then Windows applications. Not only that, the useablility was so low,
that you would consider using a typewriter instead.

What convinses me, that I've made a fool out of myself, is that the same
"community" that "converted" me to begin with, acted with such arrogance,
when I polietly asked the "community" for help. I was told to "read the
fucking manual." And that was all "help" I would get from the "community."
Rather the advocates do what they do, to stiffen their selfconfidence
and compensate for lack of real-life values.

casioc...@gmail.com

Sep 15, 2006, 5:28:58 PM9/15/06

*yawn*

And now you're coming back to complain to the "community" itself about
the "community"?

Well here's what the "community" says; go f*ck yourself.

*wink wink*

ed

Sep 15, 2006, 5:35:43 PM9/15/06
On 15 Sep 2006 21:16:58 GMT
Johansen <je...@elsker.dig.dk> wrote:

> I'm a man well above average intelligence. Despite of that, some Linux
>
> advocates on the internet convinced me, that Linux was superior, easy
> and had all that Windows had plus more. "It was easely installed,
> everyone could do it." How would I ever fall for that!

They didn't tell you to wrap your emails at 72 characters though did
they.

> 1) When I installed Linux, the Windows partition was erased. Devices
> wasn't detected. Nothing worked properly. I couldn't even go into
> X. That was the so-called "easy" installation.

Shame you didn't know how to fix it.

> 2) When I attempted to install the drivers, I found out Linux
> almost doesn't come with hardware support! I had to install
> "patches" in the kernel source-code to get simple things working.

Wow that's some old kernel you're using there. I'll bet that If I get a
windows 95 install on this motherboard there wont even BE drivers for my
components.

> 4) Finally, when I had the most basic things set up, I would install
> some
> "packages", but only to find out, Linux applications have MORE
> chrashes then Windows applications. Not only that, the useablility
> was so low, that you would consider using a typewriter instead.

Perhaps that's the best tool for you. Next time send this via paper,
we'll all appreciate it via snail mail.

> What convinses me, that I've made a fool out of myself, is that the
> same "community" that "converted" me to begin with, acted with such
> arrogance, when I polietly asked the "community" for help. I was told
> to "read the fucking manual." And that was all "help" I would get
> from the "community." Rather the advocates do what they do, to
> stiffen their selfconfidence and compensate for lack of real-life
> values.

Perhaps. But maybe if you're so sick of the community you should try one
of two things:

1) adjust your attitude and read the FAQ, before reading the manual. It
would tell you things that are not in the manual

2) find a better community. this news group IS NOT the place for
hardware/software problems. It is full of trolls and advocates. The
trolls are continually trying to eat up the time of the advocates. The
advocates are constantly trying to whack the trolls. There's no room in
this delicate ecosystem for help. That's down the corridor and on the
left.

However, you could post a duplicate of your post BUT include with it the
following things:

1) the kernel version that you applied the patches to
2) detail output of the programs that crash, perhaps run them first with
'strace' in front to produce verbose output
3) explain what happened when the crash took place
4) include the distro that you were running

This basic information goes a long way.

--
Regards, Ed :: http://www.s5h.net
just another linux person

Roy Schestowitz

Sep 15, 2006, 5:34:48 PM9/15/06
__/ [ Johansen ] on Friday 15 September 2006 22:16 \__

Just to be sure, is this for real?

Roy Schestowitz

Sep 15, 2006, 5:37:33 PM9/15/06
__/ [ casioc...@gmail.com ] on Friday 15 September 2006 22:28 \__

It seems like it might a faker. Look at the headers. I sentence such as "I
couldn't even go into X" strikes a bell. Windows convert and reference to X?
As opposed to GUI-OS-SECURITY-KERNEL all-in-one mishmash-blob? Troll or
flamebait? Take a peek.

Geico Caveman

Sep 15, 2006, 5:42:27 PM9/15/06
Johansen wrote:

> I'm a man well above average intelligence.

In my experience, intelligent people never say anything of the sort.

Linonut

Sep 15, 2006, 5:45:19 PM9/15/06
After takin' a swig o' grog, Johansen belched out this bit o' wisdom:

> I'm a man well above average intelligence.

Sure you are. And you like trolling.

--
Yet another fine product courtesy of Billy Bitrot!

ed

Sep 15, 2006, 5:55:22 PM9/15/06

This is so true. Intelligent people can see just how little they really
know.

--
Regards, Ed :: http://www.bsdwarez.net
proud unix hacker

Au79

Sep 15, 2006, 5:58:08 PM9/15/06
Johansen wrote:

> I'm a man well above average intelligence. Despite of that, some Linux

You really don't display any characteristics that others may deem as above
average. Here, you simply confirm that your decision to install "Linux" was
driven by your own gullibility.

> advocates on the internet convinced me, that Linux was superior, easy and
> had all that Windows had plus more. "It was easely installed, everyone

That was true for my installation: It was easy and was at once convinced
that Linux really is superior by design.

> could do it." How would I ever fall for that!

You are a man well below average intelligence.

> 1) When I installed Linux, the Windows partition was erased. Devices
> wasn't detected. Nothing worked properly. I couldn't even go into X.
> That was the so-called "easy" installation.

Did you get into W first? Well, that's the problem- wrong sequence.

> 2) When I attempted to install the drivers, I found out Linux
> almost doesn't come with hardware support! I had to install "patches"
> in the kernel source-code to get simple things working.

Linux does come with hardware support. I tested it. Really.

> 4) Finally, when I had the most basic things set up, I would install some
> "packages", but only to find out, Linux applications have MORE chrashes
> then Windows applications. Not only that, the useablility was so low,
> that you would consider using a typewriter instead.

Here, you run out of good ideas to troll and lie. You should have gone with
"It lost all my data and I went out of business!"

> What convinses me, that I've made a fool out of myself,

Yep, right from the start.

> is that the same
> "community" that "converted" me to begin with, acted with such arrogance,
> when I polietly asked the "community" for help. I was told to "read the
> fucking manual." And that was all "help" I would get from the "community."
> Rather the advocates do what they do, to stiffen their selfconfidence
> and compensate for lack of real-life values.

I put my selfconfidence in hot water and softened it a bit.

Rick

Sep 15, 2006, 6:04:44 PM9/15/06
On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 21:16:58 +0000, Johansen wrote:

> I'm a man well above average intelligence. Despite of that, some Linux
> advocates on the internet convinced me, that Linux was superior, easy and
> had all that Windows had plus more. "It was easely installed, everyone
> could do it." How would I ever fall for that!

(snip drivel)

man,... your troll skills suck.

--
Rick
<http://ricks-place.tripod.com/sound/2cents.wav>

Andrea

Sep 15, 2006, 6:06:16 PM9/15/06
On 2006-09-15 23:55, * ed wrote:

> This is so true. Intelligent people can see just how little they really
> know.

Intelligence =/= Wisdom

--
Andrea

Johansen

Sep 15, 2006, 6:29:37 PM9/15/06
Au79 <au...@789.edu> skrev:

>> I couldn't even go into X.

> Did you get into W first? Well, that's the problem- wrong sequence.

What's the W-windows system? Is it easier to go into?

>> What convinses me, that I've made a fool out of myself,

> Yep, right from the start.

Typical Linux hatred.

7

Sep 15, 2006, 6:37:05 PM9/15/06
Asstroturfer Johansen wrote on behalf of micoshaft:

I'm a man well below average intelligence. Despite of that, some Windiots
advocates on the internet convinced me, that paying for Clippy was superior,
despite GNU/Linux being easy, free and had all that Windopes had plus more.
"It wasn't easely installed, everyone couldn't do it."
How would I ever regret that!
First I had a lot of legacy hardware that I had no drivers unlike those
built into Linux. Linux now has the planets biggest supported hardware
list. Then windcrap took hours to install with constant reboots,
while many supported Linuxes like SuSE, RHat, Mandriva etc
took 30 minutes or so.
Hundreds here http://www.livecdlist.com

1) When I installed Windope, the Linux boot information was erased
in a monopolistic antitrust way.
Only by unfairly deleting Linux boot information from a PC
can micoshaft retain monopoly desktop control these days.

Devices wasn't detected. Nothing worked properly.

 I couldn't even go into X and then I remembered its windopes
and its not Linux and its not as good as Linux

   That was the so-called "easy" installation.

Hours spent rebooting.

2) When I attempted to install the drivers, I found out windiot crap
   almost doesn't come with hardware support! I have to go to the
manufacturer. Blimy! Some of them aren't around no more.
Linux doesn't have problems with that - there are always maintainers
and companies maintaining support 24/7 for such things like
SuSE, RHAT enterprise editions.

 I had to install "patches"

in the kernel source-code to get simple things working which was
readily available, unlike micoshaft where I am left vulnerable for
days and weeks and months on end waiting each Patch Tuesday
to see if I got a fix despite paying.

4) Finally, when I had the most basic things set up, I would install some

   "packages", but only to find out, Linux doesn't need reboots
   unlike clueless Windopes. Not only that, the useablility was so slow,

   that you would consider using a typewriter instead.

What convinses me, that I've made a fool out of myself, is that the same
"community" that "converted" me to begin with, acted with such arrogance,

when I polietly asked the microshaft "community" for help.
I was told to "read the fucking EULA." And that was all "help" I would get
from the micoshfted "community." Yes, I was the proud village idiot owner
of a license (not software). Ask the windope advocates do what they do,
and I have my answer. They stiffen their willy and penetrate my PC for lack
of real-life values.

Duane Arnold

Sep 15, 2006, 6:52:17 PM9/15/06
I see 7th-Witch is still flying around on the Linux broom.

Peter Köhlmann

Sep 15, 2006, 7:01:34 PM9/15/06
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

Nope.

That cretin has posted under several different nyms already

He has about as much credibility as "linux-sux" or flatfish. None
--
Experience is what causes a person to make new mistakes instead of
old ones.

Message has been deleted

Roy Schestowitz

Sep 15, 2006, 8:04:06 PM9/15/06
__/ [ Peter Köhlmann ] on Saturday 16 September 2006 00:01 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> __/ [ Johansen ] on Friday 15 September 2006 22:16 \__

>>> (FreeBSD/6.1-RELEASE(i386)) Organization: SunSITE.dk - Supporting Open
>>> source
>>
>> Just to be sure, is this for real?
>
> Nope.
>
> That cretin has posted under several different nyms already
>
> He has about as much credibility as "linux-sux" or flatfish. None

^^^^

Little.

You can't descend lower than that. *smile*

If you combine the two, you get Err Rick. That's a modified Dunkenbusch with
errors, on top of the binary blob of lies.

--
Roy S. Schestowitz | Othello for free: http://othellomaster.com
http://Schestowitz.com | Open Prospects ¦ PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E

[H]omer

Sep 15, 2006, 8:02:13 PM9/15/06
Johansen wrote:

Well for a man of "well above average intelligence", you can't spell,
and you lack even a basic comprehension of English grammar. Then again,
with a DK ccTLD, you're likely *not* an English native speaker, and I
bet you speak English better than I speak Danish.

I've known a few Danes in my time, in fact I worked with a whole bunch
of them for years. They had a good sense of humour; better than the
Norskies anyway ... they really are a miserable bunch.

So, back OT - you had a bad experience, and what? You've come to COLA to
exact revenge?

I'll tell you what; you post a detailed description of what distro
you're using, what applications are failing, and the exact error
messages; and I'll go out on a limb and believe that you're genuine.
Hell, I'll even post the solutions on c.o.l.misc.

Otherwise we're all going to assume you're just a hairy Troll, and call
you Flatfish.

Lev længe og blomstre.

--
K.
http://slated.org - Slated, Rated & Blogged

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.16-1.2133_FC5
01:00:32 up 90 days, 1:17, 3 users, load average: 0.13, 0.08, 0.09

[H]omer

Sep 15, 2006, 8:16:50 PM9/15/06
Leythos wrote:
> In article <lWFOg.19738$r61....@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
> website_...@www.enemygadgets.com says...

>> First I had a lot of legacy hardware that I had no drivers unlike those
>> built into Linux. Linux now has the planets biggest supported hardware
>> list.
>
> Yep, you get the largest base of Legacy drivers on the planet - now how
> about those of us running the newest, non-legacy, hardware.

You mean like the Intel ICHx-R SATA drivers, completely missing from the
XP install disk (but built into every modern Linux distro)?

Talking of non-legacy, is this the same XP install disk that requires
you to rake through boxes of prehistoric hardware, looking for a
*floppy* drive (remember them?) just so you can install a driver during
XP setup, so you can install XP onto a SATA Raid array?

Yes, XP is so great with the "newest, non-legacy, hardware", isn't it?
Don't even get me started with how crap XP is with USB.

Windows: Plug 'n Pray ... LOL!

--
K.
http://slated.org - Slated, Rated & Blogged
This message has not been photoshopped in any way.

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.16-1.2133_FC5

01:15:33 up 90 days, 1:32, 3 users, load average: 0.03, 0.38, 0.39

M Johansen

Sep 15, 2006, 8:29:40 PM9/15/06
[H]omer <sp...@uce.gov> skrev:
> Johansen wrote:

> you can't spell,
> and you lack even a basic comprehension of English grammar.

In fact, I would like to get to know more about American grammar, it seems
so different from the Danish, when I see, how the COLA boys puts commas
and use capital letters.

> Lev længe og blomstre.

Bøsse.

NoStop

Sep 15, 2006, 8:56:04 PM9/15/06
Leythos wrote:

>> First I had a lot of legacy hardware that I had no drivers unlike those
>> built into Linux. Linux now has the planets biggest supported hardware
>> list.
>

> Yep, you get the largest base of Legacy drivers on the planet - now how
> about those of us running the newest, non-legacy, hardware.

MickeyMouse Fanboys like you Leythos just continue to run Windoze I guess.
Obviously you're one of those people that likes to be on the bleeding edge
and hence run a 6 year old operating system.

--
Linux is ready for the desktop! More ready than Windoze XP.
http://tinyurl.com/ldm9d

Message has been deleted

[H]omer

Sep 15, 2006, 10:24:54 PM9/15/06
M Johansen wrote:

> In fact, I would like to get to know more about American grammar

I'm not a Yank, but AFAIK their grammar is no different from standard
English. Now if they would just fix their spelling.

>> Lev længe og blomstre.
>
> Bøsse.

Ikke. Men Jeg har noget bekendte, selv om du er interesserede.

--
K.
http://slated.org - Slated, Rated & Blogged
This message has not been photoshopped in any way.

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.16-1.2133_FC5

03:22:38 up 90 days, 3:39, 3 users, load average: 0.20, 0.08, 0.07

The Ghost In The Machine

Sep 15, 2006, 11:00:05 PM9/15/06
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Leythos
<vo...@nowhere.lan>
wrote
on Sat, 16 Sep 2006 01:04:09 GMT
<d4IOg.123$8e5...@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com>:
> In article <EYHOg.541913$Mn5.13296@pd7tw3no>, nos...@nospam.com says...

>> Leythos wrote:
>>
>> > In article <lWFOg.19738$r61....@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
>> > website_...@www.enemygadgets.com says...
>> >
>> > Yep, you get the largest base of Legacy drivers on the planet - now how
>> > about those of us running the newest, non-legacy, hardware.
>> >
>> MickeyMouse Fanboys like you Leythos just continue to run Windoze I guess.
>> Obviously you're one of those people that likes to be on the bleeding edge
>> and hence run a 6 year old operating system.
>
> I run FC5 and Windows, but I like Anawave Gravity better than Pan, and
> it's not been ported to nix yet.
>
> Windows is more than 6 years old,

The first edition of Windows came out in 1984. Admittedly, it didn't do
all that much back then. :-)

> just like Fedora is, just like other
> OS's - they tend to build the next OS on the previous OS (not each
> other, from each vendor/team).
>
> Like it or not, there are many large networks running Windows based
> solutions without any problems.
>
> Now, tell me again how unstable it is.

Windows 2003 Server Edition is probably the most stable of the Windows
systems out there, on good hardware.

Certainly, it's the latest. :-) (Apart from Windows Vista, which is a
release candidate now.)

#191, ewi...@earthlink.net
Windows Vista. Because it's time to refresh your hardware. Trust us.

High Plains Thumper

Sep 15, 2006, 11:14:58 PM9/15/06
Johansen wrote:

Reverse DNS check on header information reveals following information on
this poster:

| Locationc Denmark [City: Copenhagen , Copenhagen]
| Answer: No PTR records exist for 213.173.232.178. [Neg TTL=43200 seconds]

Assessment: Header information is most likely spoofed, another troll
message.

--
HPT

Message has been deleted

Au79

Sep 16, 2006, 1:29:18 AM9/16/06
Johansen wrote:

> Au79 <au...@789.edu> skrev:
>>> I couldn't even go into X.
>
>> Did you get into W first? Well, that's the problem- wrong sequence.
>
> What's the W-windows system? Is it easier to go into?

Getting into X requires W since it precedes it, thus: W, X, then Y, and Z.
But first it all starts at "A".

>>> What convinses me, that I've made a fool out of myself,
>
>> Yep, right from the start.
>
> Typical Linux hatred.

Linux is the kernel component of a comprehensive system of programs designed
to operate the x86 family of processors, found most commonly in PC's. Now
it can easily be found in a broad range of systems, from embedded
applications to supercomputers... As such Linux cannot "hate", it does not
have emotions, and therefore your characterization is wrong and purely
inflammatory.

casioc...@gmail.com

Sep 16, 2006, 3:22:23 AM9/16/06

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> It seems like it might a faker. Look at the headers. I sentence such as "I
> couldn't even go into X" strikes a bell. Windows convert and reference to X?
> As opposed to GUI-OS-SECURITY-KERNEL all-in-one mishmash-blob? Troll or
> flamebait? Take a peek.

Yeah. I was sure it was a facker when i replied.

Mark Kent

Sep 16, 2006, 3:35:17 AM9/16/06
begin oe_protect.scr
Roy Schestowitz <newsg...@schestowitz.com> espoused:

> It seems like it might a faker. Look at the headers. I sentence such as "I
> couldn't even go into X" strikes a bell. Windows convert and reference to X?
> As opposed to GUI-OS-SECURITY-KERNEL all-in-one mishmash-blob? Troll or
> flamebait? Take a peek.

Of course it's a troll. If he truly didn't know anything about linux,
he'd not know what X be anyway. Same old stuff. Post some more News,
everyone!

Roy Schestowitz

Sep 16, 2006, 4:05:34 AM9/16/06
__/ [ casioc...@gmail.com ] on Saturday 16 September 2006 08:22 \__

Some people recognised the animal by its name. I was making an early
observation. Can't survive in COLA without keeping headers in sight, which
is interesting...

...because all other newsgroups are credible, so they don't require header
probing for unknown (or otherwise forged) posters. But Google Groups are
another matter altogether and you, casinoculture, are an elite among an
otherwise discardable pack of hit-and-run posters.

Peter Kai Jensen

Sep 16, 2006, 5:20:41 AM9/16/06
--
PeKaJe

violent psychopath who knows where you live. -- Martin Golding

7

Sep 16, 2006, 5:36:04 AM9/16/06
Leythos wrote:

>> First I had a lot of legacy hardware that I had no drivers unlike those
>> built into Linux. Linux now has the planets biggest supported hardware
>> list.
>

> Yep, you get the largest base of Legacy drivers on the planet - now how
> about those of us running the newest, non-legacy, hardware.

There are great companies offering 24/7 support for new hardware
and software like RHAT and SuSE. Then there are also companies
that make products like laser printers to video cards that offer them with
Linux drivers. Samsung Laser printer like ML-1610, 16ppm for 50 pounds
you get latest printer drivers for Linux. And NVidia you get
drivers about same time as competing operating systems.
Its no longer true that you don't have a choice when
it comes to purchasing supported hardware, or purchasing support.
The Linux purchasing experience is the same if not overal
better because of new manufacturer's support and better legacy support.

Cameltoe Johnson

Sep 16, 2006, 7:20:02 AM9/16/06
On 2006-09-15 17:16:58 -0400, Johansen <je...@elsker.dig.dk> said:

> I'm a man well above average intelligence. Despite of that, some Linux
> advocates on the internet convinced me, that Linux was superior, easy
> and had all that Windows had plus more. "It was easely installed,
> everyone could do it." How would I ever fall for that!
>
> 1) When I installed Linux, the Windows partition was erased. Devices
> wasn't detected. Nothing worked properly. I couldn't even go into X.
> That was the so-called "easy" installation.
>
> 2) When I attempted to install the drivers, I found out Linux almost
> doesn't come with hardware support! I had to install "patches" in
> the kernel source-code to get simple things working.
>
> 4) Finally, when I had the most basic things set up, I would install
> some "packages", but only to find out, Linux applications have MORE
> chrashes then Windows applications. Not only that, the useablility
> was so low, that you would consider using a typewriter instead.
>
> What convinses me, that I've made a fool out of myself, is that the
> same "community" that "converted" me to begin with, acted with such
> arrogance, when I polietly asked the "community" for help. I was told
> to "read the fucking manual." And that was all "help" I would get from
> the "community." Rather the advocates do what they do, to stiffen their
> selfconfidence and compensate for lack of real-life values.

I smell bullshit. Which distro?

Linux isn't for you, move along then....

Message has been deleted

chrisv

Sep 16, 2006, 8:48:25 AM9/16/06
Johansen wrote:

> Au79 <au...@789.edu> skrev:
>>

>>> What convinses me, that I've made a fool out of myself,
>
>> Yep, right from the start.
>
> Typical Linux hatred.

Awww... Don't go away mad. Just go away, troll.

*plonk*

chrisv

Sep 16, 2006, 8:50:23 AM9/16/06
On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 21:55:22 +0000, ed wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 17:42:27 -0400
> Geico Caveman <sp...@spam.invalid> wrote:

>> Johansen wrote:
>>
>> > I'm a man well above average intelligence.
>>

>> In my experience, intelligent people never say anything of the sort.

> This is so true. Intelligent people can see just how little they really
> know.

But we're still way smarter than most people. 8)

Martha Adams

Sep 16, 2006, 9:44:46 AM9/16/06
I resist questioning the "well above average intelligence". Rather, I
want
to point out, that I see evidence of a *bad work habit* here. Whoever
jumps into a large new thing is well advised to do some preparation for
the risks incurred by the enterprise. I see no evidence here of any
preparation at all, and for me, that's sufficient explanation for the
consequences Johansen loudly interprets and complains about.

Cheers -- Martha Adams

"Johansen" <je...@elsker.dig.dk> wrote in message

> I'm a man well above average intelligence. Despite of that, some Linux
> advocates on the internet convinced me, that Linux was superior, easy
> and
> had all that Windows had plus more. "It was easely installed, everyone
> could do it." How would I ever fall for that!

<snip>

###

7

Sep 16, 2006, 12:46:04 PM9/16/06
Leythos wrote:

> In article <8APOg.19860$r61....@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
> website_...@www.enemygadgets.com says...

>> The Linux purchasing experience is the same if not overal
>> better because of new manufacturer's support and better legacy support.
>

> I would almost agree, as I use Fedora and Windows, but there are times
> when there are no drivers for nix while there have been for win for
> months after a product comes out. Don't take me as one of those Win is
> better than nix people, I love my nix boxes and was brought up on nix
> and windows without a zealotry bias.

I make my purchasing decisions based on Linux supporting companies NOW.
Companies like Samsung are on my list because of their support
for laser printers. NOW is where it matters. NOW is SuSE, RHAT, Mandriva,
Linspire, Xandros etc where I can purchase supported Linux distributions.
Tomorrow is something distant. I'm unlikely to switch to a rivals
if they are known to me today as not supplying what I want NOW.

Linonut

Sep 16, 2006, 1:14:58 PM9/16/06
After takin' a swig o' grog, Martha Adams belched out this bit o' wisdom:

> I resist questioning the "well above average intelligence". Rather, I
> want
> to point out, that I see evidence of a *bad work habit* here. Whoever
> jumps into a large new thing is well advised to do some preparation for
> the risks incurred by the enterprise. I see no evidence here of any
> preparation at all, and for me, that's sufficient explanation for the
> consequences Johansen loudly interprets and complains about.
>
> Cheers -- Martha Adams

True, but way tooooooo many people put the same kind of trust in
Microsoft solutions, and all too often they (or the people they manage)
suffer for it later.

--
Boot your Windows operating system in a virtual machine on Linux
It's safer.

Martha Adams

Sep 16, 2006, 1:22:22 PM9/16/06
This sounds to me like some child in his terrible twos. But in fact,
it's the
only policy that makes sense (if taken with a little thoughtful scouting
around). Because, I can try a simple thought experiment:

If you take from the past, it's already halfway obsolete. Yes, today's
world changes *that* fast.

If you guess the future, there's too much possibility out there seasoned
with vaporware etc. (Try 'Vista' and this ongoing Digital Restrictions
Management thing.)

I conclude, I can't improve on 7's policy.

Cheers -- Martha Adams

"7" <website_...@www.enemygadgets.com> wrote in message
> Leythos wrote:

<snip>

> I make my purchasing decisions based on Linux supporting companies
> NOW.
> Companies like Samsung are on my list because of their support
> for laser printers. NOW is where it matters. NOW is SuSE, RHAT,
> Mandriva,
> Linspire, Xandros etc where I can purchase supported Linux
> distributions.
> Tomorrow is something distant. I'm unlikely to switch to a rivals
> if they are known to me today as not supplying what I want NOW.

###

Message has been deleted

Mark Kent

Sep 17, 2006, 4:59:21 AM9/17/06
begin oe_protect.scr
Peter Kai Jensen <use...@pekajemaps.homeip.net> espoused:

> Johansen wrote:
>
> [Snip - trolleri]
>
> At dømme efter en af dine posts i dk.edb.system.unix, så er du måske
> inkompetent på nogle områder, men langt fra den idiot du udgiver dig for
> i comp.os.linux.advocacy. Derfor er konklusionen at du er en simpel
> troll, der virkeligt skulle finde sig noget bedre at tage sig til. Fis
> af med dig!

Ah, didn't know he'd be posting in other unix groups, but then I don't
follow the Danish ones! I agree, one must conclude that he's a troll.

In Minnesota they ask why all football fields in Iowa have artificial turf.
It's so the cheerleaders won't graze during the game.

Mark Kent

Sep 17, 2006, 5:01:44 AM9/17/06
begin oe_protect.scr

posting some of this at the top and then

Martha Adams <mh...@verizon.net> espoused:

> I resist questioning the "well above average intelligence". Rather, I
> want

I think that I'm going to

> to point out, that I see evidence of a *bad work habit* here. Whoever

Complain about your

> jumps into a large new thing is well advised to do some preparation for

top posting by

> the risks incurred by the enterprise. I see no evidence here of any
> preparation at all, and for me, that's sufficient explanation for the
> consequences Johansen loudly interprets and complains about.

putting some of it in the right place.

Of course, English reads top to bottom, although Outlook Express will
dump you at the top, due to bad design, it merely means you need a good
newsreader.

In Minnesota they ask why all football fields in Iowa have artificial turf.
It's so the cheerleaders won't graze during the game.

doesn't it?

Peter Köhlmann

Sep 17, 2006, 5:45:51 AM9/17/06
Mark Kent wrote:

> begin oe_protect.scr
> Peter Kai Jensen <use...@pekajemaps.homeip.net> espoused:
>>
>> Johansen wrote:
>>
>> [Snip - trolleri]
>>
>> At dømme efter en af dine posts i dk.edb.system.unix, så er du måske
>> inkompetent på nogle områder, men langt fra den idiot du udgiver dig for
>> i comp.os.linux.advocacy. Derfor er konklusionen at du er en simpel
>> troll, der virkeligt skulle finde sig noget bedre at tage sig til. Fis
>> af med dig!
>>

> Ah, didn't know he'd be posting in other unix groups, but then I don't
> follow the Danish ones! I agree, one must conclude that he's a troll.

The simple fact that this guy nymshifts like flatfish or linux-sux gives him
away
--
Linux is like a wigwam: no windows, no gates and an apache inside!

Oliver Wong

Sep 18, 2006, 2:36:17 PM9/18/06

"Mark Kent" <mark...@demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> begin oe_protect.scr
> Roy Schestowitz <newsg...@schestowitz.com> espoused:
>
>> It seems like it might a faker. Look at the headers. I sentence such as
>> "I
>> couldn't even go into X" strikes a bell. Windows convert and reference to
>> X?
>> As opposed to GUI-OS-SECURITY-KERNEL all-in-one mishmash-blob? Troll or
>> flamebait? Take a peek.
>
> Of course it's a troll. If he truly didn't know anything about linux,
> he'd not know what X be anyway. Same old stuff. Post some more News,
> everyone!

I'm a Windows user, and I claim to "not know much" about Linux, but I
know what X is. Sort of. It's somewhere between the Kernel and KDE/Gnome,
right? Like KDE/Gnome is built on top of X or something, right? And if your
cursor is an "X" instead of a mouse cursor, and the background is that black
and white tile pattern, you know you managed to get into X, but not into
KDE/Gnome, right?

There's a big gap between knowing what X is, and knowing what to do if
you can't get X to start. Replace "X" with "a car", "a computer", "a
helicopter", "a NASA Space Shuttle", etc. and you'll see it's not surprising
or unusual for this sort of gap to exist either.

- Oliver

Oliver Wong

Sep 18, 2006, 2:43:17 PM9/18/06

"chrisv" <chr...@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

Everybody thinks they're above average. That means dumb people think
they're above average, but (shockingly enough) that also means extremely
intelligent people think they're above average. So if you give everyone an
intelligence test, and afterwards, you ask them to guess how they did in
comparison to everyone else, everybody will say above average.

- Oliver

Jim

Sep 18, 2006, 3:43:56 PM9/18/06
There is nothing wrong with your PC... do not attempt
to adjust the picture... we will control the horizontal, and the vertical.
For the next minute, sit quietly,

Not me. I'm thick as pig shit, me.
--
Some people are like Slinkies; they serve no specific purpose, but they
bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

chrisv

Sep 18, 2006, 4:32:27 PM9/18/06
Oliver Wong wrote:

>"chrisv" <chr...@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>>

>> On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 21:55:22 +0000, ed wrote:
>>>
>>> This is so true. Intelligent people can see just how little they really
>>> know.
>>
>> But we're still way smarter than most people. 8)
>
> Everybody thinks they're above average. That means dumb people think
>they're above average, but (shockingly enough) that also means extremely
>intelligent people think they're above average. So if you give everyone an
>intelligence test, and afterwards, you ask them to guess how they did in
>comparison to everyone else, everybody will say above average.

Maybe, but some of us actually have "scored above average". 8)

The Ghost In The Machine

Sep 22, 2006, 4:00:05 PM9/22/06
Creds: 1.0

Hit <PLAY> to continue.

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Johansen
<je...@elsker.dig.dk>
wrote
on 15 Sep 2006 21:16:58 GMT
<450b184a$0$75041$1472...@news.sunsite.dk>:

> I'm a man well above average intelligence.

And this is relevant here precisely why? But never mind.

Creds: 0.9

> Despite of that, some Linux
> advocates on the internet convinced me, that Linux was superior, easy and
> had all that Windows had plus more. "It was easely installed, everyone
> could do it." How would I ever fall for that!
>

> 1) When I installed Linux, the Windows partition was erased.

I suppose at some point someone's going to have to write
something that details, in big red bold letters, precisely
what one should do in order to install Linux as a dual-boot
on a single-partition Windows system. There's some issues,
for example, in that many machines typically have one
drive unit, and that drive unit contains either a single
partition, or in the case of Dell two partitions where one
is next to useless for general use, although it's possible
certain maintenance software might work using it; I for
one don't know.

Of course it's obvious that, if one has a Windows partition
C: and installs Linux on /dev/hda1, that Windows is erased,
*if one is aware of both partitioning schemes*. But this
isn't a given for a total newbie who is otherwise savvy
about general issues in computer science. Presumably,
this should be documented in a FAQ somewhere -- and I for
one don't know where, although a logical possibility is
to ensure that the major distros have such.

I can relate my own experience. The Dell in my case is
an Optiplex, with an XP installation. I used ntfsresize
to shrink the existing partition, and then created new
partitions and installed Gentoo thereon, using a Gentoo
livedisc. Gentoo, however, is not a typical distro
(though it has typical distro thigns); for starters,
it requires a little intelligence -- and a lot of reading
through Gentoo's handbook. The handbook is rather vague in
spots as they have to walk a user through a configuration
which they can't possibly know. However, I had very few
difficulties.

Oh, and I also note the lack of a specific distro. I'll assume
that you're using RedHat but without that detail how can I even
begin to reproduce your results and/or help correct things?

Creds: 0.9

> Devices
> wasn't detected.

[1] I'll refrain from commenting on the obvious here; it's too obvious.

[2] Which devices weren't detected?

Creds: 0.6

> Nothing worked properly.

OK, Mister Specific. We believe you. :-P

Creds: 0.4

> I couldn't even go into X.

Video card? Error message? Did you look at the /var/log/XF86.0.log
or /var/log/Xorg.0.log?

Creds: 0.3

> That was the so-called "easy" installation.
>
> 2) When I attempted to install the drivers, I found out Linux
> almost doesn't come with hardware support! I had to install "patches"
> in the kernel source-code to get simple things working.

What things? Linux is usually pretty good about autodetecting hardware.

Creds: 0.2

> 4) Finally, when I had the most basic things set up, I would install some
> "packages", but only to find out, Linux applications have MORE chrashes
> then Windows applications. Not only that, the useablility was so low,
> that you would consider using a typewriter instead.

Uh huh. We believe you, Mister Specific.

Creds: 0.0

> What convinses me, that I've made a fool out of myself, is that the same
> "community" that "converted" me to begin with, acted with such arrogance,
> when I polietly asked the "community" for help. I was told to "read the
> fucking manual." And that was all "help" I would get from the "community."
> Rather the advocates do what they do, to stiffen their selfconfidence
> and compensate for lack of real-life values.

In order for the community to help we need data. "It's broken" isn't
all that helpful in diagnosing what is essentially a series of technical
problems.

Assuming you're not simply trying to get our Billy-goats and scare
off the n00bs.

<GAME OVER>

William Poaster

Sep 22, 2006, 7:05:08 PM9/22/06
This message was posted on Usenet, NOT JLAforums, & on Fri, 22 Sep 2006

20:00:05 +0000, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> Creds: 1.0
>
> Hit <PLAY> to continue.
>
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Johansen
> <je...@elsker.dig.dk>
> wrote
> on 15 Sep 2006 21:16:58 GMT
> <450b184a$0$75041$1472...@news.sunsite.dk>:

>> I'm a man well above average intelligence.

<snip crap>

Yew furgot tew subbtrakt poyntes fer thu sppelin!
Coz hees suppozed to bee sumwon wel abuv avrage intellignece,
but hee cant yews a slep chickur!

--
Linux is not a desktop OS for people
whose VCRs are still flashing "12:00".

The Ghost In The Machine

Sep 22, 2006, 9:00:09 PM9/22/06
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, William Poaster
<w...@suseoss101.eu>
wrote
on Sat, 23 Sep 2006 00:05:08 +0100
<pan.2006.09.22....@suseoss101.eu>:

> This message was posted on Usenet, NOT JLAforums, & on Fri, 22 Sep 2006
> 20:00:05 +0000, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
>
>> Creds: 1.0
>>
>> Hit <PLAY> to continue.
>>
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Johansen
>> <je...@elsker.dig.dk>
>> wrote
>> on 15 Sep 2006 21:16:58 GMT
>> <450b184a$0$75041$1472...@news.sunsite.dk>:
>
>>> I'm a man well above average intelligence.
>
> <snip crap>
>
> Yew furgot tew subbtrakt poyntes fer thu sppelin!
> Coz hees suppozed to bee sumwon wel abuv avrage intellignece,
> but hee cant yews a slep chickur!

I was cutting him a break since not everyone who's
superintelligent knows how to spell perfectly, but never
mind; he ran out of creds anyway. :-)

He reminds me of a certain Christian who advertised the
fact that he was above average in intelligence in either
talk.atheism or alt.atheism. Needless to say, the regulars,
myself included, had a bit of fun with that one. He
lasted maybe a couple of weeks, if memory serves.