A Debian stinker

Chris Ahlstrom

Oct 3, 2008, 12:14:12 PM10/3/08
Our honorable (see the sig below) trolls would have us claim that all
open-source projects or Linux distros are perfect, while they claim that
they are mostly crap.

Well, in the interests of fairness, here's one stinker project I found
in Debian. I don't mean to pick on the project itself, although it
apparently is broken. Instead, I'm wondering why heck it is in Debian
in a broken state.

The project is "wallp", an application to change your wallpaper
periodically.

I installed it with aptitude (lenny) and found that it wanted a
non-existent version of the imlib library. So I go to debian.org and
get the original package, with the dsc and diff files. Unpack the
project, and the build fails. A couple of modules had source-code
control strings that were split, and one module had a static function
defined after it was called. After these easy fixes it built,
installed, and ran.

It has a gtk-1 GUI, ugly but serviceable. It can't handle PNG
wallpapers, but otherwise seemed to work.

So, an old, broken app in the Debian repository.

Which leads me to a question: anyone have a multiple-monitor background
management application that they like, that isn't tied to KDE or Gnome,
and works with fluxbox?

--
Honorable, adj.:
Afflicted with an impediment in one's reach. In legislative bodies,

Ezekiel

Oct 3, 2008, 12:24:23 PM10/3/08

"Chris Ahlstrom" <lin...@bollsouth.nut> wrote in message

> Our honorable (see the sig below) trolls would have us claim that all
> open-source projects or Linux distros are perfect, while they claim that
> they are mostly crap.
>
> Well, in the interests of fairness, here's one stinker project I found
> in Debian. I don't mean to pick on the project itself, although it
> apparently is broken. Instead, I'm wondering why heck it is in Debian
> in a broken state.
>
> The project is "wallp", an application to change your wallpaper
> periodically.
>
> I installed it with aptitude (lenny) and found that it wanted a
> non-existent version of the imlib library. So I go to debian.org and
> get the original package, with the dsc and diff files. Unpack the
> project, and the build fails. A couple of modules had source-code
> control strings that were split, and one module had a static function
> defined after it was called. After these easy fixes it built,
> installed, and ran.

Had a similar problem with a wireless driver for my previous laptop. Was not
easy to fix and after downloading and installing a few missing dependencies
I finally gave up, scrounged the web and round a pre-built binary that
worked fine.

> It has a gtk-1 GUI, ugly but serviceable. It can't handle PNG
> wallpapers, but otherwise seemed to work.
>
> So, an old, broken app in the Debian repository.
>
> Which leads me to a question: anyone have a multiple-monitor background
> management application that they like, that isn't tied to KDE or Gnome,
> and works with fluxbox?

Just curious - I do something similar on my Windows machines. I actually do
it with a short script that every so often that sets my desktop to use a new
wallpaper. No application required other than my short script that I put
into the "Startup" program group.

It was actually just slightly more complicated than that. It turns out that
when my script tells Windows to change the wallpaper it needs to be in "BMP"
format but most of my wallpapers are in .jpg. From the UI if you pick a jpg
for the wallpaper Windows converts it to a BMP internally before setting it.
But if you specify a jpg image via CLI interface for doing this it won't
take it. So the little "extra" that my script has to do is to call
"convert.exe" (part of ImageMagick) to create a bmp from the jpg before I
make the call to set the wallaper.

So I'm curious if there's a CLI way of setting the wallpaper in Linux so
this could all be scripted?

Moshe Goldfarb.

Oct 3, 2008, 12:42:58 PM10/3/08
On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 12:14:12 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> Our honorable (see the sig below) trolls would have us claim that all
> open-source projects or Linux distros are perfect, while they claim that
> they are mostly crap.

Patronizing post noted....

--
Moshe Goldfarb
Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

Chris Ahlstrom

Oct 3, 2008, 12:53:43 PM10/3/08
After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out
this bit o' wisdom:

> Had a similar problem with a wireless driver for my previous laptop. Was not
> easy to fix and after downloading and installing a few missing dependencies
> I finally gave up, scrounged the web and round a pre-built binary that
> worked fine.

Yeah, you never know where you might be led once you start messin' with
da code!

>> Which leads me to a question: anyone have a multiple-monitor background
>> management application that they like, that isn't tied to KDE or Gnome,
>> and works with fluxbox?
>
> Just curious - I do something similar on my Windows machines. I actually do
> it with a short script that every so often that sets my desktop to use a new
> wallpaper. No application required other than my short script that I put
> into the "Startup" program group.
>
> It was actually just slightly more complicated than that. It turns out that
> when my script tells Windows to change the wallpaper it needs to be in "BMP"
> format but most of my wallpapers are in .jpg. From the UI if you pick a jpg
> for the wallpaper Windows converts it to a BMP internally before setting it.
> But if you specify a jpg image via CLI interface for doing this it won't
> take it. So the little "extra" that my script has to do is to call
> "convert.exe" (part of ImageMagick) to create a bmp from the jpg before I
> make the call to set the wallaper.
>
> So I'm curious if there's a CLI way of setting the wallpaper in Linux so
> this could all be scripted?

The method I use is via feh, an old but pretty nice image viewer. I run
something like this:

$ feh -g 1024x768 -r /usr/local/share/wallpapers/1920x1200

to view the randomized (-r) images in a smaller windows. When I find
one I feel like using for wallpaper, select File / Background / Set
Tiled.

This writes a file in my $HOME, called ".fehbg":

feh --bg-tile "/usr/local/share/wallpapers/1920x1200/Space/88171-alien-1920x1200-svg.jpg"

In my $HOME GUI startup script (e.g. ".xsession") I have:

eval `cat $HOME/.fehbg` &

If there were a way to have feh pick a background image at random, then
a timed script should do the trick. Haven't looked into it, and there
may be more useful image views/background-setters out there that work
with fluxbox. feh has a slideshow mode, but it doesn't seem to allow
for setting the root window image.

By the way, feh seems to handle the main formats: jpg, png, gif, but I
haven't tried bmp <grin>.

--
3rd Law of Computing:
Anything that can go wr

Moshe Goldfarb.

Oct 3, 2008, 12:58:07 PM10/3/08
On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 12:53:43 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out
> this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> Had a similar problem with a wireless driver for my previous laptop. Was not
>> easy to fix and after downloading and installing a few missing dependencies
>> I finally gave up, scrounged the web and round a pre-built binary that
>> worked fine.
>
> Yeah, you never know where you might be led once you start messin' with
> da code!

Installing dependencies is not messin' with the code.

You're not supposed to start "messin with da code".

APT is supposed to do all that for you.
The problem is, quite often it doesn't.

Hadron

Oct 3, 2008, 1:32:58 PM10/3/08
"Moshe Goldfarb." <brick....@gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 12:53:43 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>
>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out
>> this bit o' wisdom:
>>
>>> Had a similar problem with a wireless driver for my previous laptop. Was not
>>> easy to fix and after downloading and installing a few missing dependencies
>>> I finally gave up, scrounged the web and round a pre-built binary that
>>> worked fine.
>>
>> Yeah, you never know where you might be led once you start messin' with
>> da code!
>
> Installing dependencies is not messin' with the code.
>
> You're not supposed to start "messin with da code".
>
> APT is supposed to do all that for you.
> The problem is, quite often it doesn't.

Another fine example of Liarnut's MO.

"Messin with the code" indeed! For a wireless driver! LOL.

--
"If only someone would kill you two. Literally."
-- Tattoo Vampire <sit...@this.computer> in comp.os.linux.advocacy

Firey Bird

Oct 3, 2008, 3:13:16 PM10/3/08
Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> Which leads me to a question: anyone have a multiple-monitor background
> management application that they like, that isn't tied to KDE or Gnome,
> and works with fluxbox?

I use Desktop Drapes to periodically change background on my desktop machine
running Ubuntu Hardy.

Unfortunately, I don't know if it works with multiple monitors, is tied to
Gnome, or works with fluxbox. :(

In fact, a useless reply all round. Just ignore me...

Moshe Goldfarb.

Oct 3, 2008, 3:18:29 PM10/3/08
On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 19:32:58 +0200, Hadron wrote:

> "Moshe Goldfarb." <brick....@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 12:53:43 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>>
>>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out
>>> this bit o' wisdom:

>>> Yeah, you never know where you might be led once you start messin' with
>>> da code!
>>
>> Installing dependencies is not messin' with the code.
>>
>> You're not supposed to start "messin with da code".
>>
>> APT is supposed to do all that for you.
>> The problem is, quite often it doesn't.
>
> Another fine example of Liarnut's MO.
>
> "Messin with the code" indeed! For a wireless driver! LOL.

LiarMutt is obviously technically incompetent.
No wonder he seems to have so many problems with Linux.

Chris Ahlstrom

Oct 3, 2008, 3:48:14 PM10/3/08
After takin' a swig o' grog, Firey Bird belched out
this bit o' wisdom:

> Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

Nah. It's in Debian as "drapes", so I'll give it a quick spin.

No. It requires another 30 Mb of mainly Mono dependencies. Too much
overhead.

But thanks, man. It is appreciated!

--
A year spent in artificial intelligence is enough to make one believe in God.

Bob Hauck

Oct 3, 2008, 6:17:53 PM10/3/08
On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 12:58:07 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb.
<brick....@gmail.com> wrote:

> APT is supposed to do all that for you.
> The problem is, quite often it doesn't.

Only if you're using unstable or testing. If you are unable to deal
with an occasional breakage, you should be using stable.

The OP said he's using "lenny", which is testing. The current stable is
named etch.

--
-| Comrade Bob Hauck
-| Proud part owner of the People's Insurance Company (formerly AIG)

Bob Hauck

Oct 3, 2008, 6:12:16 PM10/3/08
On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 12:14:12 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom <lin...@bollsouth.nut> wrote:

> I installed it with aptitude (lenny) and found that it wanted a
> non-existent version of the imlib library.

That happens sometimes with the "testing" version. There's a reason
they call it that. If you wait a while the new library should show up.
If not, file a bug.

Moshe Goldfarb.

Oct 3, 2008, 7:14:56 PM10/3/08
On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 18:17:53 -0400, Bob Hauck wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 12:58:07 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb.
> <brick....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> APT is supposed to do all that for you.
>> The problem is, quite often it doesn't.
>
> Only if you're using unstable or testing. If you are unable to deal
> with an occasional breakage, you should be using stable.
>
> The OP said he's using "lenny", which is testing. The current stable is
> named etch.

Fair enough, but I have had it happen with Ubuntu Hardy as well.
Still, I prefer apt over RPM any day of the week.
Apt problems have been few but past experiences with rpm have been not so
good.

Chris Ahlstrom

Oct 3, 2008, 7:22:13 PM10/3/08
After takin' a swig o' grog, Bob Hauck belched out
this bit o' wisdom:

> On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 12:58:07 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb.

> <brick....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> APT is supposed to do all that for you.
>> The problem is, quite often it doesn't.
>
> Only if you're using unstable or testing. If you are unable to deal
> with an occasional breakage, you should be using stable.
>
> The OP said he's using "lenny", which is testing. The current stable is
> named etch.

And, of course, Moshe just has to exaggerate the probability of
dependency problems with apt. "Quite often", my ass.

--
Civilization, as we know it, will end sometime this evening.
See SYSNOTE tomorrow for more information.

Chris Ahlstrom

Oct 3, 2008, 7:25:00 PM10/3/08
After takin' a swig o' grog, Bob Hauck belched out
this bit o' wisdom:

> On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 12:14:12 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom <lin...@bollsouth.nut> wrote:

>> I installed it with aptitude (lenny) and found that it wanted a
>> non-existent version of the imlib library.
>
> That happens sometimes with the "testing" version. There's a reason
> they call it that. If you wait a while the new library should show up.

Maybe. In sarge and etch, wallp version is 0.64-7, in lenny and sid it
is 0.64-7+b1.

> If not, file a bug.

Not sure if it is worth it for this particular app.

--
If there is a possibility of several things going wrong,
the one that will cause the most damage will be the one to go wrong.

Moshe Goldfarb.

Oct 3, 2008, 7:25:13 PM10/3/08
On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 19:22:13 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Bob Hauck belched out
> this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 12:58:07 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb.
>> <brick....@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> APT is supposed to do all that for you.
>>> The problem is, quite often it doesn't.
>>
>> Only if you're using unstable or testing. If you are unable to deal
>> with an occasional breakage, you should be using stable.
>>
>> The OP said he's using "lenny", which is testing. The current stable is
>> named etch.
>
> And, of course, Moshe just has to exaggerate the probability of
> dependency problems with apt. "Quite often", my ass.

Well I've been using Hardy for about a month now and have had 3 separate
issues.

Hadron

Oct 3, 2008, 7:28:25 PM10/3/08
Bob Hauck <postm...@localhost.localdomain> writes:

> On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 12:58:07 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb.
> <brick....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> APT is supposed to do all that for you.
>> The problem is, quite often it doesn't.
>
> Only if you're using unstable or testing. If you are unable to deal
> with an occasional breakage, you should be using stable.
>
> The OP said he's using "lenny", which is testing. The current stable is
> named etch.

*oh my god*

Gregory Shearman

Oct 3, 2008, 7:44:08 PM10/3/08
On 2008-10-03, Chris Ahlstrom <lin...@bollsouth.nut> wrote:
> Our honorable (see the sig below) trolls would have us claim that all
> open-source projects or Linux distros are perfect, while they claim that
> they are mostly crap.

They're lying sons-of-witches, that's for sure.

> Well, in the interests of fairness, here's one stinker project I found
> in Debian. I don't mean to pick on the project itself, although it
> apparently is broken. Instead, I'm wondering why heck it is in Debian
> in a broken state.
>
> The project is "wallp", an application to change your wallpaper
> periodically.

Hmmm... Gentoo lists only 2 projects that might be this one.

* rox-extra/wallpaper
Available versions: 2.1
Homepage: http://rox.sourceforge.net/
for the ROX Desktop

* media-gfx/wally
Available versions: ~1.3.1
Homepage: http://wally.sourceforge.net/

Not really sure if it is any one of these. I never bother much about the
wallpaper. I use Xfce4 and usually change the desktop wallpaper to one
of my photographs - native animals, the beach that is just outside my
door....

> I installed it with aptitude (lenny) and found that it wanted a
> non-existent version of the imlib library. So I go to debian.org and
> get the original package, with the dsc and diff files. Unpack the
> project, and the build fails. A couple of modules had source-code
> control strings that were split, and one module had a static function
> defined after it was called. After these easy fixes it built,
> installed, and ran.

Well, if the package was on Gentoo then it would either build with the
imlib on the system, or slot in an old version of imlib to build the
package... no worries about dependencies here.

> Which leads me to a question: anyone have a multiple-monitor background
> management application that they like, that isn't tied to KDE or Gnome,
> and works with fluxbox?

Sorry LN, can't help you with that one....

--
Regards,

Gregory.
Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

Chris Ahlstrom

Oct 3, 2008, 9:16:24 PM10/3/08
After takin' a swig o' grog, Gregory Shearman belched out
this bit o' wisdom:

> On 2008-10-03, Chris Ahlstrom <lin...@bollsouth.nut> wrote:
>> The project is "wallp", an application to change your wallpaper
>> periodically.
>
> Hmmm... Gentoo lists only 2 projects that might be this one.
>
> * rox-extra/wallpaper

> * media-gfx/wally

No, they ain't wallp. I think wallp is just an app that fell through
the cracks.

It might be something work upgrading to gtk2 and fixing some bugs, but I
doubt I'll ever get to that.

> Not really sure if it is any one of these. I never bother much about the
> wallpaper. I use Xfce4 and usually change the desktop wallpaper to one
> of my photographs - native animals, the beach that is just outside my
> door....

One thing you have to watch for is the GDM themes package. There's a
couple of "sweaty woman" themes suitable for pubescent geek boys, but
not so suitable for the workplace.

As for backgrounds, even something as mild as Frank Frazetta's artwork
for Edgar Rice Burroughs novels can still be a little outre for the
closet perverts at Human Resources.

> Well, if the package was on Gentoo then it would either build with the
> imlib on the system, or slot in an old version of imlib to build the
> package... no worries about dependencies here.

I'm going to have to take another run at Gentoo one of these days.

--
PUNK ROCK!! DISCO DUCK!! BIRTH CONTROL!!

Moshe Goldfarb.

Oct 3, 2008, 9:47:36 PM10/3/08
On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 21:16:24 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> I'm going to have to take another run at Gentoo one of these days.

Don't waste your time.
You'll screw it up for certain LiarMutt.

Hadron

Oct 3, 2008, 9:58:26 PM10/3/08
"Moshe Goldfarb." <brick....@gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 21:16:24 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>

>> I'm going to have to take another run at Gentoo one of these days.
>
> Don't waste your time.
> You'll screw it up for certain LiarMutt.

But surely he'll just be "a messin' wid da code"?

Moshe Goldfarb.

Oct 3, 2008, 10:07:17 PM10/3/08

Yet another idiotic statement by LiarMutt....

Andrew Halliwell

Oct 3, 2008, 9:11:55 PM10/3/08
Moshe Goldfarb. <brick....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Fair enough, but I have had it happen with Ubuntu Hardy as well.

So?
Ubuntu is based on debian testing.
More cutting edge than stable, but with the odd flaw here and there to go
with it. Big deal.

--
| spi...@freenet.co.uk | Windows95 (noun): 32 bit extensions and a |

William Poaster

Oct 4, 2008, 6:11:00 AM10/4/08
On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 19:22:13 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Bob Hauck belched out
> this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 12:58:07 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb.
>> <brick....@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> APT is supposed to do all that for you. The problem is, quite often it
>>> doesn't.
>>
>> Only if you're using unstable or testing. If you are unable to deal
>> with an occasional breakage, you should be using stable.
>>
>> The OP said he's using "lenny", which is testing. The current stable is
>> named etch.
>
> And, of course, Moshe just has to exaggerate the probability of dependency
> problems with apt. "Quite often", my ass.

Yes, flatfish bullshitting again.

--
"If it weren't for Windows, you wouldn't
be posting anything right now."
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004

Bob Hauck

Oct 4, 2008, 9:32:36 AM10/4/08
On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 19:25:00 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom
<lin...@bollsouth.nut> wrote:

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Bob Hauck belched out
> this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 12:14:12 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom
>> <lin...@bollsouth.nut> wrote:

>>> I installed it with aptitude (lenny) and found that it wanted a
>>> non-existent version of the imlib library.
>>
>> That happens sometimes with the "testing" version. There's a reason
>> they call it that. If you wait a while the new library should show up.
>
> Maybe. In sarge and etch, wallp version is 0.64-7, in lenny and sid it
> is 0.64-7+b1.

A lot of stuff depends on imlib though. Since major things like gtk
aren't broken it sounds like maybe this "wallp" is ahead of the curve
rather than behind it 8->

High Plains Thumper

Oct 4, 2008, 11:05:44 AM10/4/08
William Poaster wrote:
> Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>> Bob Hauck belched:

>>> Only if you're using unstable or testing. If you are
>>> unable to deal with an occasional breakage, you should be
>>> using stable.
>>>
>>> The OP said he's using "lenny", which is testing. The
>>> current stable is named etch.
>>
>> And, of course, Moshe just has to exaggerate the probability
>> of dependency problems with apt. "Quite often", my ass.
>
> Yes, flatfish bullshitting again.

Yes, and Hadron "me too"ing. Complains that I do nothing for
Linux, complains about a bug in FireFox yet fails to submit a
bugzilla report (which I did), calls me a hypocrite. Calls
Linonut "Liarmutt". He needs to look inwardly at his own hypocrisy.

--
HPT

Moshe Goldfarb.

Oct 4, 2008, 11:41:15 AM10/4/08

I don't have the time to keep track of the bugs, register for bug reporting
sites and then get a curt pompous email yelling at me for reporting an
already reported bug that maybe I couldn't find because my search argument
didn't generate a good hit count.

I leave that to the dedicated masses.

I am in contact with some developers of various Linux programs and I let
them know when I discover problems.
And they appreciate it.

Hadron

Oct 4, 2008, 2:36:56 PM10/4/08

You silly little boy. I raise and monitor a lot of issues with Debian.

As you know deep down but can not bring yourself to admit it in front of
your silly little COLA gang of lightweight fanboyz and cellar dwellers.

I wonder if a lot of COLA's posters life in Austria?

William Poaster

Oct 7, 2008, 7:44:25 AM10/7/08
On Sat, 04 Oct 2008 09:05:44 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:

Quack makes stupid statements about what Linux advocates do or don't do.
As you say, the troll whines that we don't do anything for Linux, yet he
really doesn't know *what* we do. As I said in another thread, I've
probably reported more bugs in distro beta versions than he's had hot
breakfasts.

The dork can't even get his own installation set up properly, let alone
join a LUG & actually install distros on other *peoples* machines. (Which
I've been doing for a long time)

> Calls Linonut "Liarmutt". He needs to look inwardly at his own hypocrisy.

Indeed he does, but Quack is too arrogant & conceited to do that.

As someone in another group remarked about Hardon Quack, "his notoriety
has preceded him".

--
Kaspersky VirusScan 7.0: WARNING!
Windows found: Remove it (Y/N) ?