[News] If Gaming is Your Thing, Vista May Disappoint

Roy Schestowitz

Oct 15, 2006, 12:03:58 PM10/15/06
Vista RC 2 gaming with Nvidia not there yet

,----[ Quote ]
| On average, Vista means losing frames. Serious Sam 2 is the
| mystery and we will try to figure out why is this is the case but,
| apart from this example, upgrading to Vista at the current stage
| with current drivers means a certain loss of performance.
`----

Also see:

Vista gaming will be 10 to 15 per cent slower than XP

,----[ Quote ]
| So if you play Battlefield 2 or FEAR or any other popular game
| you are likely to get lower frame rates with Vista. That is
| certainly not a good buying argument but don?t think you
| and I have much choice as it looks like a take it or leave it deal.
| I like Vista as the 3D desktop looks sexy but that is probably
| its key feature.
`----

Microsoft doesn't yet play games on Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| The firm has its Vista logo all over its boothm, but all the
| machines that we investigated were running Windows XP.
|
| Obviously, it is still not the right time to switch to Vista as
| things might be not stable for current games. We hope
| that they can meet the early 2007 schedules.
`----

Erik Funkenbusch

Oct 15, 2006, 12:34:52 PM10/15/06
On 15 Oct 2006 09:03:58 -0700, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Vista RC 2 gaming with Nvidia not there yet
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| On average, Vista means losing frames. Serious Sam 2 is the
>| mystery and we will try to figure out why is this is the case but,
>| apart from this example, upgrading to Vista at the current stage
>| with current drivers means a certain loss of performance.
> `----
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35084

I'm certain there are scenarios with poorer performance right now, but
these are all beta drivers. Wait for the final versions.

[deleted more reposts]

Jerry McBride

Oct 15, 2006, 9:03:34 PM10/15/06
Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

Yup... just wait... it'll outperform XP and everything else... You'll see...
The final version... maybe fixpak #4 will fix everything...

--

Jerry McBride

Roy Schestowitz

Oct 22, 2006, 8:06:11 PM10/22/06
__/ [ Jerry McBride ] on Monday 16 October 2006 02:03 \__

Wait for WinFS...

Wait for SOA...

Wait for... the wonderful features:

Like the EULA that's posted at the 90th minute

Digital 'Rights' 'Management' (or Restrictions Mess)

I'm still waiting. But what for...? Ha! SUSE 10.2. Just like SLED 10, only
for free... and more cutting-edge.

--
Roy S. Schestowitz | One, Two, Free Open Source Software (FOSS)
http://Schestowitz.com | Open Prospects Ś PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E