Apple Feels the Domination of Linux

Roy Schestowitz

Nov 22, 2011, 5:39:13 PM11/22/11

bbgruff

Nov 22, 2011, 6:03:21 PM11/22/11

Snit

Nov 22, 2011, 7:40:34 PM11/22/11
Roy Schestowitz stated in post 2759220.d...@schestowitz.com on
11/22/11 3:39 PM:

> Android's lead over iOS hits 2x mark on mobile ad network
>
> http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57329439-93/androids-lead-over-ios-hits-2x-ma
> rk-on-mobile-ad-network/?part=rss&subj=latest-news&tag=title

How is Apple "feeling" this?

Do not get me wrong, I am sure they would love to sell more devices, but as
it is they make far more money than all Android makes *combined* and their
customers are the most satisfied.

What is your obsession with market share? When talking about desktop Linux
it is deemed unimportant, but on smart phones it has become the only thing.

Well, in COLA.

Just insane.

--
🙈🙉🙊

High Plains Thumper

Nov 22, 2011, 7:46:46 PM11/22/11
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> And let's remember *trends*. In every area including HPC Linux keeps
> gaining. Microsoft won't leap above 1% in mobile or HPC... it's more
> likely to just go extinct or carry on burning a hole in Microsoft's
> pocket, which already has billions in /borrowed/ and /shareholders'/
> money.

Linux is dominating in the server and mobile market, which only leaves
the desktop market. This is Microsoft's and to a lesser degree Apple's
bread-and-butter, which explains why all the FUD against the Linux
desktop in this newsgroup and other Linux forums. It also explains why
those who favour Linux and/or disfavour Windows or OSX are under
personal attack.

==
HPT

Frank The Wank

Nov 22, 2011, 7:57:15 PM11/22/11
On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 17:40:34 -0700, Snit wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz stated in post 2759220.d...@schestowitz.com on
> 11/22/11 3:39 PM:

>> Android's lead over iOS hits 2x mark on mobile ad network
>>
>> http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57329439-93/androids-lead-over-ios-hits-2x-ma
>> rk-on-mobile-ad-network/?part=rss&subj=latest-news&tag=title
>
> How is Apple "feeling" this?

Roy thinks Apple gives a hoot about his swarmy web sites.
They don't.

> Do not get me wrong, I am sure they would love to sell more devices, but as
> it is they make far more money than all Android makes *combined* and their
> customers are the most satisfied.

Yep.
The Sam Adams method, snicker.

> What is your obsession with market share? When talking about desktop Linux
> it is deemed unimportant, but on smart phones it has become the only thing.

Guess they will have to change their Sam Adams comparison to
something else.

> Well, in COLA.
>
> Just insane.

Yep.
These COLA Linux freaks change their positions more than a 2 dollar
whore.

Buying up patents is bad except when Google does it.
etc.

Chris Ahlstrom

Nov 23, 2011, 6:13:36 AM11/23/11
High Plains Thumper wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
Well, the Microsoft lovers push the 1% thing, where the large
already-installed mass of Windows boxes serves to push the idea
that Microsoft is still overwhelming Linux.

As one past poster, Matt, noted, of more relevance is the trend in
actually installs/sales now, rather than the integration of numbers from
minus infinity to the present.

This author still sticks to her guns regarding current numbers, in spite
of attacks:

http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2011/06/one-year-later-adobe-abandons.html

You have to read deep into the comments.

Speaking of attacks:

--
I don't hate him. I don't hate anyone. But you must remember he is simply a
dishonest show off. I think he's a suck up. And he compounds it by claiming

RonB

Nov 23, 2011, 6:40:45 AM11/23/11
On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 06:13:36 -0500, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> Well, the Microsoft lovers push the 1% thing, where the large
> already-installed mass of Windows boxes serves to push the idea that
> Microsoft is still overwhelming Linux.

Even if Linux Desktop usage is only 1% (I don't believe it) it still
remains that it is an alternate choice. And everything Microsoft does is
an attempt to eliminate choice -- except for the allowed (even encouraged)
"token" challenge from Apple to keep Microsoft from being "too much" of a
monopoly. And even on the Mac, Microsoft has the office suite market
(their other cash cow) sewn up.

Linux remains the wild card. Linux netbooks were a real challenge to
Microsoft's OS monopoly. They had to killed. Microsoft did this by
basically giving away Windows XP (after it was supposed to be withdrawn
from the market). Even though Redmond won that war, it was Pyrrhic victory
because it cost them big in margin. Unlike Apple, who controls their own
hardware, Microsoft relies on monopolizing and controlling OEM vendors
and, for a brief while, OEM vendors had leverage with their netbooks.

Unfortunately for Microsoft, after their expensive "victory," they were
hit by Apple's iPad and the Android tablet inundation. Their desktop
monopoly is becoming less and less relevant -- so expect them to become
much more active in patent extortion -- though Barnes & Noble may have put
a monkey wrench in their plans by revealing Microsoft's patent racket
methods.

Interesting times.

Meanwhile Android, a free Linux-based OS, has become both Apple's and
Microsoft's main enemy. And here we see Linux competing in a market *not*
controlled by Intel, Microsoft or Apple. As can be seen, when on even
footing or even starting from behind, Open Software wins on merit,
flexibility and choice.

Choice is good.

--
RonB
Registered Linux User #498581

7

Nov 23, 2011, 7:04:04 AM11/23/11
Snit wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz stated in post 2759220.d...@schestowitz.com on
> 11/22/11 3:39 PM:

>> Android's lead over iOS hits 2x mark on mobile ad network
>>
>> http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57329439-93/androids-lead-over-ios-hits-2x-ma
>> rk-on-mobile-ad-network/?part=rss&subj=latest-news&tag=title
>
> How is Apple "feeling" this?

By becoming HYPOCRITES like you.
You know how it works as you call people names and whine
when others call you back.

Appil the company that employs trolls to whine about Open Source
and Linux when all of their core software and their rise to prominence
is bank rolled by Open Source projects.

If it weren't for open source, there would be no appil.
Shareholders and HYPOCRITES in appil management should
go figure before funding any more trolls.

7

Nov 23, 2011, 7:06:19 AM11/23/11
Frank The Wank wrote:

**
** Important note about Linux and Micoshaft / Appil funded
** Corporate Boot Licking Trolls infesting COLA newsgroup for money.
**
**
** Linux has gained a lot in commercial importance overtaking Appil
** and Microshaft in many commercial products. There would be no Appil
** if it weren't for Open Source. These companies and others
** including Oracle$, and blackperry maker riim have
** responded by committing billions of dollars dedicated to fighting
** Linux instead of making better products and resorted to using
** marketing trolls to post abusive internet posts.
**
** If you are an investor or plain usenet user and want to complain
** about Appil and Micorshaft and use of corporate boot licking
** trolls to infest your newsgroup, then write to Micoshaft and
** Appil Marketing Department and ask them to stop, or write to the
** ISPs that they use to post net abuse, or complain to
** journalists, newspapers, trade bodies like the
** Better Business Bureau and government.
**
** The internet is not a place for Microshaft or Appil to post
** their abuse at Linux and its users through THEIR PROXIES
** and then go hide behind them like the weasels they are.
**
** http://www.distrowatch.com http://www.livecdlist.com
**

Go get trained and get a job troll!
There is a big shortage of Linux engineers out there!

Snit

Nov 23, 2011, 8:37:38 AM11/23/11
7 stated in post Zi5zq.35495$Rz.3...@newsfe29.ams2 on 11/23/11 5:04 AM:
Literacy programs are cheap. Sometimes even free.

--
🙈🙉🙊

William Poaster

Nov 23, 2011, 9:07:50 AM11/23/11
On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 11:40:45 +0000, RonB wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 06:13:36 -0500, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>
>> Well, the Microsoft lovers push the 1% thing, where the large
>> already-installed mass of Windows boxes serves to push the idea that
>> Microsoft is still overwhelming Linux.
>
> Even if Linux Desktop usage is only 1% (I don't believe it) it still
> remains that it is an alternate choice.

And even *if* the Linux Desktop is only 1% (which it isn't & even M$ has
said it's higher than that)it still represents a large number of people
using Linux.
The number of Internet users is estimated to be 1,966,514,816.
So if *only* 1% are Linux users, that would be just over 19,600,000.
Now if you had an application, & could sell it for only $1 to every Linux
user...
(And you can bet that'll go right over the wintrolls heads.)

> And everything Microsoft does is an attempt to eliminate choice --
> except for the allowed (even encouraged) "token" challenge from Apple to
> keep Microsoft from being "too much" of a monopoly. And even on the Mac,
> Microsoft has the office suite market (their other cash cow) sewn up.
>
> Linux remains the wild card. Linux netbooks were a real challenge to
> Microsoft's OS monopoly. They had to killed. Microsoft did this by
> basically giving away Windows XP (after it was supposed to be withdrawn
> from the market).

IMO M$ panicked when they saw they weren't in the netbook market.

> Even though Redmond won that war, it was Pyrrhic
> victory because it cost them big in margin. Unlike Apple, who controls
> their own hardware, Microsoft relies on monopolizing and controlling OEM
> vendors and, for a brief while, OEM vendors had leverage with their
> netbooks.
>
> Unfortunately for Microsoft, after their expensive "victory," they were
> hit by Apple's iPad and the Android tablet inundation. Their desktop
> monopoly is becoming less and less relevant -- so expect them to become
> much more active in patent extortion -- though Barnes & Noble may have
> put a monkey wrench in their plans by revealing Microsoft's patent
> racket methods.
>
> Interesting times.
>
> Meanwhile Android, a free Linux-based OS, has become both Apple's and
> Microsoft's main enemy. And here we see Linux competing in a market
> *not* controlled by Intel, Microsoft or Apple. As can be seen, when on
> even footing or even starting from behind, Open Software wins on merit,
> flexibility and choice.
>
> Choice is good.

Yup, sure is. :-)

7

Nov 23, 2011, 12:55:15 PM11/23/11
You go off topic, run, back down, accepted you are a HYPOCRITE,
trolled, posted net abuse and underlined your illiterate character
Are you interested?

Snit

Nov 23, 2011, 1:19:19 PM11/23/11
7 stated in post 7sazq.16896$R36....@newsfe10.ams2 on 11/23/11 10:55 AM:
You never answered how Apple is "feeling" this. Nor will you. You prefer to
call names and try to put me on the defensive. Boring.

--
🙈🙉🙊

Roy Schestowitz

Nov 23, 2011, 1:45:36 PM11/23/11

Roy Schestowitz

Nov 23, 2011, 1:48:22 PM11/23/11

Frank The Wank

Nov 23, 2011, 1:53:50 PM11/23/11
On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 18:45:36 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Linux people just don't use MSFT-flavoured propaganda like Microsoft does.
>
> - --
> ~~ Best of wishes
> Dr. Roy S. Schestowitz, Research Fellow

Correct!
They, the Linux people, prefer to generate their own propaganda.

-hh

Nov 23, 2011, 3:36:54 PM11/23/11
On Nov 22, 6:03 pm, bbgruff <bbgr...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Let's just check those figures:=
>
>    Android  56%
>    iOS      28%
>    RIM      13%
>    Symbian   1%
>    Windows   1%
>
> <quote>
> Google's mobile platform grabbed 56 percent of all ad impressions on the
> network last month, double iOS's 28 percent share, figures that include both
> smartphones and tablets together. Android has been the leading mobile OS on
> Millennial Media's network for almost a year now.
</quote>

Okay, so just what is this saying?

For example, if it was share-normalized, it would be saying that
Android customers have to look at twice as many ads as iOS users ...
and 4x as many ads as RIM customers, etc.

But of course, it isn't share-normalized data. So just what is it
really saying? To what degree is the only "useful" info that this is
the customer source distribution for Google's advertising? And if so,
wouldn't the other very important piece of information be the hardware-
correlated customer demographics to know what percentages of
impressions are actually returned as successful sales?

Afterall, does it really do a business much good to have tons of
cheapskates look at your ads each day, when basically none of those
impressions ever result in a lead or successful transacation
(purchase)?

Nope.

-hh

7

Nov 23, 2011, 4:39:48 PM11/23/11
You went off topic, run, back down, accepted you are a HYPOCRITE,
trolled, posted net abuse and underlined your illiterate character,
ignored the answer, made false accusation and trolled again.

William Poaster

Nov 23, 2011, 6:23:20 PM11/23/11
On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 21:39:48 +0000, 7 wrote:

> Michael Snit Glasser, "The Prescott Computer Guy" wrote:

<snip drivel>

> Boring.

> You went off topic, run, back down, accepted you are a HYPOCRITE, trolled,
> posted net abuse and underlined your illiterate character, ignored the
> answer, made false accusation and trolled again.

The Michael Snit Glasser yo-yo who drags up old threads & topics, creates
a 'Snit Circus', has the gall to call other people 'boring'. Classic!

High Plains Thumper

Nov 23, 2011, 7:34:34 PM11/23/11
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> Chris Ahlstrom on Wednesday:
>> High Plains Thumper wrote this:
>>
>>> Linux is dominating in the server and mobile market, which only
>>> leaves the desktop market. This is Microsoft's and to a lesser
>>> degree Apple's bread-and-butter, which explains why all the FUD
>>> against the Linux desktop in this newsgroup and other Linux
>>> forums. It also explains why those who favour Linux and/or
>>> disfavour Windows or OSX are under personal attack.
>>
>> Well, the Microsoft lovers push the 1% thing, where the large
>> already-installed mass of Windows boxes serves to push the idea
>> that Microsoft is still overwhelming Linux.
>>
>> As one past poster, Matt, noted, of more relevance is the trend in
>> actually installs/sales now, rather than the integration of numbers
>> from minus infinity to the present.
>>
>> This author still sticks to her guns regarding current numbers, in
>> spite of attacks:
>>
>> http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2011/06/one-year-later-adobe-abandons.html
>>
>>You have to read deep into the comments. Speaking of attacks:
>
> *Microsoft* is at 1%... at phones, HPC, etc.
>
> Linux people just don't use MSFT-flavoured propaganda like Microsoft
> does.

The article link given by Chris A. states,

[quote]
Is 64-bit Linux in particular important for Adobe? As much as some
people would like to deny it, the Linux desktop market is not small
anymore. Last year Bruce Byfield, in an article for Datamation, quoted
KDE's Aaron Seigo placing Linux desktop adoption at anywhere between 8%
and 12%. My own research and analysis lead me to write an article last
September that also put the number at 8% or more. This is why Adobe has
consistently offered a 32-bit Linux Flash Player.
[/quote]

These percentages are what I have been stating, which aligns with
Microsoft's estimated numbers and which the Usenet trolls herein deny
vehemently. This is why that there is much FUD here against the Linux
desktop. It aligns with,

[quote]
In the Mopping Up phase, Evangelism's goal is to put the final nail into
the competing technology's coffin, and bury it in the burning depths of
the earth. Ideally, use of the competing technology becomes associated
with mental deficiency, as in, "he believes in Santa Claus, the Easter
Bunny, and OS/2."

Just keep rubbing it in, via the press, analysts, newsgroups, whatever.
make the complete failure of the competition's technology part of the
mythology of the computer industry.

We want to place selection pressure on the companies and individuals
that show a genetic weakness for competitor's technologies, to make the
industry increasingly resistant to such unhealthy strains, over time.
[/quote]

PDF page 55
Microsoft Evangelism
Comes vs. Microsoft court case

http://www.groklaw.net/pdf/Comes-3096.pdf

I'm hoping that the recent court case now in progress, Novell vs.
Microsoft will further bring out the truth on Microsoft's
anti-competitive behaviour.

--
HPT

Homer

Nov 24, 2011, 1:03:01 AM11/24/11
Verily I say unto thee that Chris Ahlstrom spake thusly:

> This author still sticks to her guns regarding current numbers, in
> spite of attacks:
>
> http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2011/06/one-year-later-adobe-abandons.html

[quote]
Last year Bruce Byfield, in an article for Datamation, quoted KDE's
Aaron Seigo placing Linux desktop adoption at anywhere between 8% and
12%. My own research and analysis lead me to write an article last
September that also put the number at 8% or more.
[/quote]

It's quite believable, given that every "Linux market share" statistic
is based on browser stats cherry-picked from unpublished sources, which
may well be largely Windows-centric sites, for all we know, thus biasing
and invalidating the outcome. Until the likes of Hitslink et al actually
reveal their mysterious sources and methodology, their "stats" are
basically worthless.

Then there's the fact that a large number of GNU/Linux deployments are
never used to "browse the Web" (e.g. servers), and thus will never count
towards those stats, regardless of whether or not the target sites are
Windows centric.

And that's just x86 systems. Unlike Windows, Linux is Linux, no matter
what hardware its running on, and therefore the policy of segregating
non-x86 Linux systems from the "desktop", for statistical purposes,
further dilutes Linux's true market share, and biases the outcome in
favour of Windows.

Then we have the way certain companies, including Microsoft, calculate
"market share", based on revenue, not seats. This leads people to
conclude, rather simplistically, that Windows is more widely used than
it really is. Kinda like people assuming the iPhone is more ubiquitous
than Android, because Apple has a 52% "market" (i.e. revenue) share, but
this belies the fact iPhones are only owned by 4% of the market.

Of course, companies care about such things, but consumers don't, or at
least they shouldn't, logically, since its of no benefit to them - quite
the opposite in fact, since higher prices means they're getting less
value.

But the most compelling evidence that GNU/Linux has more than the
mythical "1%" market share comes from Microsoft itself. Ballmer quite
emphatically stated that Linux is Microsoft's biggest competitor, and
even demonstrated it in a lovely pie chart:

[quote]
For a man who just got fined more than a billion dollars for antitrust
violations, Steve Ballmer is feeling plenty of competitive heat.

[Page 2]

A couple of years ago you reiterated that IBM was Microsoft's biggest
competitor and you said not just on the business side, but overall. If I
ask you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?
Ballmer: Open...Linux. I don't want to say open source. Linux, certainly
have to go with that.
[/quote]

http://news.cnet.com/Feeling-the-heat-at-Microsoft/2008-1012_3-6232458.html

[quote]
Microsoft's CEO Steve Ballmer had some interesting things to say
yesterday about which companies Microsoft sees as its competitors in the
client operating system space. You'd think Apple was their number one
competitor - and you'd be wrong. Microsoft sees two other competitors as
their primary adversaries.

Much more interesting is Microsoft's idea of Linux and Apple, According
to Microsoft, Linux is a bigger threat to the company than Apple,
placing Linux above Apple in the marketshare figure pie chart thing.
[/quote]

http://www.osnews.com/story/21035/Ballmer_Linux_Bigger_Competitor_than_Apple

As for Adobe, they've always been hopeless at multi-platform support. It
took them *12 years* just to rebuild a *tiny-little plugin* for 64-bit,
and even that was just an alpha. It took another 3 years to get to beta.
So if Windows 8/ARM users expect to see their favourite "killa appz",
Photoshop, with its vast sprawl of spaghetti code, on Microsoft's
not-really-Windows platform any time soon, they're living in la-la land.
Not that Adobe will really be missing much, considering that 60% of
Photoshop users are "pirates", apparently.

http://blog.epicedits.com/2008/03/28/60-of-photoshop-users-are-pirates/

--
K. | "UNIX is basically a simple operating
http://slated.org | system, but you have to be a genius

Roy Schestowitz

Nov 24, 2011, 6:28:38 AM11/24/11
____/ Homer on Thursday 24 Nov 2011 06:03 : \____

> Verily I say unto thee that Chris Ahlstrom spake thusly:
>
>> This author still sticks to her guns regarding current numbers, in
>> spite of attacks:
>>
>> http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2011/06/one-year-later-adobe-abandons.html
>
> [quote]
> Last year Bruce Byfield, in an article for Datamation, quoted KDE's
> Aaron Seigo placing Linux desktop adoption at anywhere between 8% and
> 12%. My own research and analysis lead me to write an article last
> September that also put the number at 8% or more.
> [/quote]
>
> It's quite believable, given that every "Linux market share" statistic
> is based on browser stats cherry-picked from unpublished sources, which
> may well be largely Windows-centric sites, for all we know, thus biasing
> and invalidating the outcome. Until the likes of Hitslink et al actually
> reveal their mysterious sources and methodology, their "stats" are
> basically worthless.

And funded by Apple and Microsoft (the clients).
There are lots more of these. But repeated often enough the lie can seem credible.

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Nov 24, 2011, 7:40:31 AM11/24/11

"Roy Schestowitz" <newsg...@schestowitz.com> wrote in message
> ____/ Homer on Thursday 24 Nov 2011 06:03 : \____
>
>> Verily I say unto thee that Chris Ahlstrom spake thusly:

blah, blah, blah.

you linux freaks are sure running scared of Apple - LOL.