The FAQ and Primer for COLA, Edition III

Roy Culley

Dec 23, 2006, 6:57:10 PM12/23/06

A wee snippet that the trolls are unable to comprehend:

1.4 The Charter of comp.os.linux.advocacy

The charter of comp.os.linux.advocacy is:

For discussion of the benefits of Linux compared to other operating
systems.

That single sentence is the one and only charter of the newsgroup
comp.os.linux.advocacy. The newsgroup's charter is for the newsgroup as a
place for supporters of Linux to gather to discuss Linux, for the
betterment of the Linux community and the promotion and development of
Linux. It supports this as a place for those who would like to learn more
about Linux to come to learn from those who know Linux. It does not call
for it to be a place where the anti-Linux propagandists to gather in order
to discredit Linux.

--
Security is one of those funny things. You can talk about being "more"
secure, but there's no such thing. A vulnerability is a vulnerability, and

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

Dec 30, 2006, 9:22:40 AM12/30/06
begin In <mbs064-...@dog.did.it>, on 12/24/2006
at 12:57 AM, mr...@spamme.zz (Roy Culley) said:

>From: mr...@spamme.zz (Roy Culley)

Please use a mung ending in the INVALID TLD, e.g.,
mr...@spamme.zz.invalid.

reply to spam...@library.lspace.org

Roy Culley

Dec 30, 2006, 7:31:18 PM12/30/06

Ian Semmel

Dec 31, 2006, 2:10:10 AM12/31/06
On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 01:31:18 +0100, Roy Culley wrote:

> http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/
>
> A wee snippet that the trolls are unable to comprehend:
>
> 1.4 The Charter of comp.os.linux.advocacy
>
> The charter of comp.os.linux.advocacy is:
>
> For discussion of the benefits of Linux compared to other operating
> systems.
>
> That single sentence is the one and only charter of the newsgroup
> comp.os.linux.advocacy. The newsgroup's charter is for the newsgroup as a
> place for supporters of Linux to gather to discuss Linux, for the
> betterment of the Linux community and the promotion and development of
> Linux. It supports this as a place for those who would like to learn more
> about Linux to come to learn from those who know Linux. It does not call
> for it to be a place where the anti-Linux propagandists to gather in order
> to discredit Linux.

So why are most posts about microsoft vista ?

Wendy Lucas

Jan 8, 2007, 7:54:03 PM1/8/07
Shmuel The Tool wrote:

> Please use a mung ending in the INVALID TLD, e.g.,
> mr...@spamme.zz.invalid.

Please FROAD. .zz is not a TLD.

Roy Schestowitz

Jan 13, 2007, 8:40:08 AM1/13/07

amicus_curious

Jan 13, 2007, 11:32:29 AM1/13/07

"Roy Schestowitz" <newsg...@schestowitz.com> wrote in message

For one who purports to have a PhD, you seem woefully dysfunctional in the
area of logical thinking. As you cite, the FAQ states the charter to be, in
part, "For discussion of the benefits of Linux compared to other operating
systems." To suggest that means that the purpose is to simply praise Linux
and to forbid any criticism is an illogical interpretation of the term
"compared to". A more exact interpretation would be that a post is actually
required to contrast Linux to Windows or some other operating system.

It seems to say nothing about discussing market results for software such as
Open Office, Apache, MySQL, Firefox, etc., which are not operating systems
at all and, in any case, are mostly used on Windows. It says nothing about
discussions of Microsoft's XBox and Zune compared to Sony PS3 and Apple
iPod, either. I think the you "doth protest too much", as someone once
said.

DFS

Jan 13, 2007, 12:25:47 PM1/13/07
amicus_curious wrote:
> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsg...@schestowitz.com> wrote in message
>> http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/
>>
>> A wee snippet that the trolls are unable to comprehend:
>>
>> 1.4 The Charter of comp.os.linux.advocacy
>>
>> The charter of comp.os.linux.advocacy is:
>>
>> For discussion of the benefits of Linux compared to other operating
>> systems.
>>

> For one who purports to have a PhD, you seem woefully dysfunctional
> in the area of logical thinking. As you cite, the FAQ states the
> charter to be, in part, "For discussion of the benefits of Linux
> compared to other operating systems." To suggest that means that the
> purpose is to simply praise Linux and to forbid any criticism is an
> illogical interpretation of the term "compared to". A more exact
> interpretation would be that a post is actually required to contrast
> Linux to Windows or some other operating system.
> It seems to say nothing about discussing market results for software
> such as Open Office, Apache, MySQL, Firefox, etc., which are not
> operating systems at all and, in any case, are mostly used on
> Windows. It says nothing about discussions of Microsoft's XBox and
> Zune compared to Sony PS3 and Apple iPod, either. I think the you
> "doth protest too much", as someone once said.

Nov. 10, 2005: Roy Schestowitz says "This is a Linux newsgroup."

Nov. 10, 2005 to Oct. 10, 2006: Roy Schestowitz sends 3,850 posts to cola
discussing
Microsoft.

Doug Mentohl

Jan 13, 2007, 12:48:37 PM1/13/07
Jan 13 2007 16:32 amicus_curious wrote:

Ya gots uh PhD, ya seem fucking fucked in da membrain. As ya citated,
da FAQ states da charter ta be, in part, "For discussion o' da benefits
o' Linux compare ta otha operatin syzdem."

To suggest dat means dat da purpose iz ta simply praise Linux an' ta
forbid any bitch slappin, iz an illogical interpretation o' da term
"compared to". A mo' exact inteprazion would be dat duh post iz
actually required ta kontrast Linux du Windowz or some other operaten
syztem.

It seems ta say nuttin' bout discussin market results fo' software such
as Open Office, Apache, MySQL, Firefox, etc., which iz not operaten
syztems at all an', in any case, iz mostly used on Windowz. It says
nuttin' about discussin o' Microsoft'sXBox an' Zune compared ta Sony
PS3 an' Apple iPod, eithu. I thot da ya "is bustin ma balls", as some
bro one say.

Tim Smith

Jan 13, 2007, 1:17:04 PM1/13/07
In article <1190295.d...@schestowitz.com>,

Roy Schestowitz <newsg...@schestowitz.com> wrote:
> http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/
>
> A wee snippet that the trolls are unable to comprehend:

You seem to have trouble with it, too.

> 1.4 The Charter of comp.os.linux.advocacy
>
> The charter of comp.os.linux.advocacy is:
>
> For discussion of the benefits of Linux compared to other operating
> systems.

So when are you going to stop posting things that aren't about the
benefits of Linux compared to other operating systems?

--
--Tim Smith

DFS

Jan 13, 2007, 1:33:25 PM1/13/07

"Do as I say, not as I do." Roy Schestowitz, Liar, 2007.