Credit where it's due. Thank you Microsoft.

[H]omer

May 1, 2007, 2:51:25 AM5/1/07
In what I hope will be a pivotal moment in the history of the software
industry, Microsoft won a Supreme Court victory against Software
Patents, thus potentially leading the way towards the end of Software
Patents altogether. AFAIK no judgements in any similar court cases, nor
any rulings by government bodies, have previously driven forward the
process of eliminating Software Patents as significantly as this case.

As a mark of respect to Microsoft, and those who supported them in this
endeavour (SFLC et al), I've decided to not make even a single
*negative* comment about Microsoft, Windows, proprietary software,
closed standards, the Xbox, or anything else connected with Microsoft
and the proprietary software industry, for a period of exactly one week
starting now.

I further vow to not make any *negative* comments about any of the
Windows advocates in this group for the same period. These promises
extend to posts I make on my Blog, and any comments I leave on other
Blogs and Social Networking sites.

Just one week though. That's it. Probably.

Oh and I'm *not* going to make it easy by just not posting *anything* :)

--
K.

C:\Documents and Settings\Homer\My Documents\My Downloads>uptime.exe
\\ACER-PC has been up for: 0 day(s), 2 hour(s), 19 minute(s), 44 second(s)

Roy Schestowitz

May 1, 2007, 3:48:51 AM5/1/07
__/ [ [H]omer ] on Tuesday 01 May 2007 07:51 \__

> In what I hope will be a pivotal moment in the history of the software
> industry, Microsoft won a Supreme Court victory against Software
> Patents, thus potentially leading the way towards the end of Software
> Patents altogether. AFAIK no judgements in any similar court cases, nor
> any rulings by government bodies, have previously driven forward the
> process of eliminating Software Patents as significantly as this case.
>
> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20070430121005424
>
> As a mark of respect to Microsoft, and those who supported them in this
> endeavour (SFLC et al), I've decided to not make even a single
> *negative* comment about Microsoft, Windows, proprietary software,
> closed standards, the Xbox, or anything else connected with Microsoft
> and the proprietary software industry, for a period of exactly one week
> starting now.
>
> I further vow to not make any *negative* comments about any of the
> Windows advocates in this group for the same period. These promises
> extend to posts I make on my Blog, and any comments I leave on other
> Blogs and Social Networking sites.
>
> Just one week though. That's it. Probably.
>
> Oh and I'm *not* going to make it easy by just not posting *anything* :)

Should I do the same with [News]? Just for a week?

--
~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz | United States: #1 in spam export
http://Schestowitz.com | RHAT GNU/Linux Ś PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
run-level 5 Apr 28 15:45 last=S

Jamie Hart

May 1, 2007, 4:09:32 AM5/1/07
Roy Schestowitz <newsg...@schestowitz.com> wrote in

>> endeavour (SFLC et al), I've decided to not make even a single
>> *negative* comment about Microsoft, Windows, proprietary software,
>> closed standards, the Xbox, or anything else connected with Microsoft
>> and the proprietary software industry, for a period of exactly one
>> week starting now.
>>
>> I further vow to not make any *negative* comments about any of the
>> Windows advocates in this group for the same period. These promises
>> extend to posts I make on my Blog, and any comments I leave on other
>> Blogs and Social Networking sites.
>>
>> Just one week though. That's it. Probably.
>>
>> Oh and I'm *not* going to make it easy by just not posting *anything*
>> :)
>
> Should I do the same with [News]? Just for a week?

Yes, please.

News about Linux is good, news about Microsoft, good or bad, has little
place here.

Just my opinion.

spi...@freenet.co.uk

May 1, 2007, 4:17:38 AM5/1/07
[H]omer <sp...@uce.gov> did eloquently scribble:

> As a mark of respect to Microsoft, and those who supported them in this
> endeavour (SFLC et al), I've decided to not make even a single
> *negative* comment about Microsoft, Windows, proprietary software,
> closed standards, the Xbox, or anything else connected with Microsoft
> and the proprietary software industry, for a period of exactly one week
> starting now.

/me starts his stopwatch.
I can't promise the same. Even though for once they've done good, it wasn't
exactly out of the goodness of their heart.
:)

> I further vow to not make any *negative* comments about any of the
> Windows advocates in this group for the same period. These promises
> extend to posts I make on my Blog, and any comments I leave on other
> Blogs and Social Networking sites.

Oooo, that's a toughy.
You'll burst a blood vessel! You'll have a fit!
You'll suffer severe withdrawal! The bottled up stress they cause might even
give you a heart attack.

As a totally unqualified medical practitioner, I would advise against it.
:)

| spi...@freenet.co.uk | "I'm alive!!! I can touch! I can taste! |

[H]omer

May 1, 2007, 4:29:44 AM5/1/07
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> __/ [ [H]omer ] on Tuesday 01 May 2007 07:51 \__

>> As a mark of respect to Microsoft, and those who supported them in this

>> endeavour (SFLC et al), I've decided to not make even a single
>> *negative* comment about Microsoft

[...]

> Should I do the same with [News]? Just for a week?

AFAICT there's enough positive news going round that it should be easy
possible.

Additionally I'll be adjusting the stats script to remove the insults
(for one week only).

--
K.

C:\Documents and Settings\Homer\My Documents\My Downloads>uptime.exe

\\ACER-PC has been up for: 0 day(s), 4 hour(s), 6 minute(s), 46 second(s

BearItAll

May 1, 2007, 4:48:16 AM5/1/07
[H]omer wrote:

> In what I hope will be a pivotal moment in the history of the software
> industry, Microsoft won a Supreme Court victory against Software
> Patents, thus potentially leading the way towards the end of Software
> Patents altogether. AFAIK no judgements in any similar court cases, nor
> any rulings by government bodies, have previously driven forward the
> process of eliminating Software Patents as significantly as this case.
>
> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20070430121005424
>
> As a mark of respect to Microsoft, and those who supported them in this
> endeavour (SFLC et al), I've decided to not make even a single
> *negative* comment about Microsoft, Windows, proprietary software,
> closed standards, the Xbox, or anything else connected with Microsoft
> and the proprietary software industry, for a period of exactly one week
> starting now.
>
> I further vow to not make any *negative* comments about any of the
> Windows advocates in this group for the same period. These promises
> extend to posts I make on my Blog, and any comments I leave on other
> Blogs and Social Networking sites.
>
> Just one week though. That's it. Probably.
>
> Oh and I'm *not* going to make it easy by just not posting *anything* :)

I bet can't do it.

By the way did you here that microsoft are saying that Linux security is
highly exagerated? In fact they say 'Linux security is a myth'. (is that
moisture on your forehead?).

MS are also still claiming that MS Win is cheaper than Linux? Difficult to
believe isn't it but MS are really big so they must be right. ('scuse me
your sweat is dripping on the keyboard).

Oh look, I just found one that says Vista is more stable and secure than
Linux. What have you to say about that?

Apparently, according to this google thing I just found, Microsoft is on the
up and up and linux is on the down and downer. Not sure what that means
really, do you know?

This is an interesting one, apparently NT4 out performs Linux by a big
margin. "Linux remains inferior is every aspect", it says here. Hmmm, maybe
I ought to buy a NT4 for this company then.

Roy Schestowitz

May 1, 2007, 4:50:13 AM5/1/07
__/ [ Jamie Hart ] on Tuesday 01 May 2007 09:09 \__

If Microsoft stabs Linux in the back in one way or another, directly or
indirectly, does that count as Linux news?

--
~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz | Switch to GNU/Linux. < http://www.getgnulinux.org/

Guy Fawkes

May 1, 2007, 5:08:28 AM5/1/07

"[H]omer" <sp...@uce.gov> schreef in bericht

> In what I hope will be a pivotal moment in the history of the software
> industry, Microsoft won a Supreme Court victory against Software Patents,
> thus potentially leading the way towards the end of Software Patents
> altogether. AFAIK no judgements in any similar court cases, nor any
> rulings by government bodies, have previously driven forward the process
> of eliminating Software Patents as significantly as this case.
>
> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20070430121005424

Good for them. But it also means they've cut themselves off another possible
venue for attacking Linux. So it will hurt them almost as much as it will
help them.

[H]omer

May 1, 2007, 6:14:39 AM5/1/07
BearItAll wrote:

> I bet can't do it.

Under the terms and conditions of the May 2007 [H]omer act, I hereby
declare my right to refuse to answer your message on the grounds that
doing so might tend to incriminate me ... or cause my head to explode.

[rest snipped for sanity]

--
K.

C:\Documents and Settings\Homer\My Documents\My Downloads>uptime.exe

\\ACER-PC has been up for: 0 day(s), 5 hour(s), 55 minute(s), 15 second(s)

cc

May 1, 2007, 6:44:13 AM5/1/07
On May 1, 4:50 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@schestowitz.com> wrote:
> __/ [ Jamie Hart ] on Tuesday 01 May 2007 09:09 \__
>

> > Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@schestowitz.com> wrote in

> >> Should I do the same with [News]? Just for a week?
>
> > Yes, please.
>
> > News about Linux is good, news about Microsoft, good or bad, has little
> > place here.
>
> > Just my opinion.
>
> If Microsoft stabs Linux in the back in one way or another, directly or
> indirectly, does that count as Linux news?

Not when you make it up.

Erik Funkenbusch

May 1, 2007, 6:57:50 AM5/1/07

*rolling eyes*

Apparently you haven't been paying attetion for the last 20 years.
Microsoft has *NEVER* sued anyone in court for patent infringement where
they were not sued first.

Microsoft doesn't believe in using pattents offensively. Otherwise, don't
you think they'd have been filing lawsuits for the last decade?

Roy Schestowitz

May 1, 2007, 8:06:23 AM5/1/07
__/ [ cc ] on Tuesday 01 May 2007 11:44 \__

Examples please. Ta in advance.

--
~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz | Linux: just set it and forget about it
1:05pm up 2 days 21:20, 6 users, load average: 0.65, 0.55, 0.60

Guy Fawkes

May 1, 2007, 8:38:18 AM5/1/07

"Erik Funkenbusch" <er...@despam-funkenbusch.com> schreef in bericht

> On Tue, 1 May 2007 11:08:28 +0200, Guy Fawkes wrote:
>
>> "[H]omer" <sp...@uce.gov> schreef in bericht
>>> In what I hope will be a pivotal moment in the history of the software
>>> industry, Microsoft won a Supreme Court victory against Software
>>> Patents,
>>> thus potentially leading the way towards the end of Software Patents
>>> altogether. AFAIK no judgements in any similar court cases, nor any
>>> rulings by government bodies, have previously driven forward the process
>>> of eliminating Software Patents as significantly as this case.
>>>
>>> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20070430121005424
>>>

>> Good for them. But it also means they've cut themselves off another
>> possible
>> venue for attacking Linux. So it will hurt them almost as much as it will
>> help them.
>
> *rolling eyes*
>
> Apparently you haven't been paying attetion for the last 20 years.
> Microsoft has *NEVER* sued anyone in court for patent infringement where
> they were not sued first.

Maybe you've been living under a rock lately. Microsoft is consistently
threatening Linux with patent infringement FUD by amongst others, Baldy. I'm
also pretty sure they're quietly threatening legal action against large
corporations (with subsidiaries or interests in the U.S.) and governments
contemplating moving to Linux.

> Microsoft doesn't believe in using pattents offensively. Otherwise, don't
> you think they'd have been filing lawsuits for the last decade?

How do you know? You work for them? Maybe they're just not willing to use
this nuclear device just yet. If Linux desktop demployments starts to take
off, they may well change their minds. It will almost certainly be used as a
'last resort' measure against Linux is my guess.

Jamie Hart

May 1, 2007, 9:01:51 AM5/1/07

> __/ [ Jamie Hart ] on Tuesday 01 May 2007 09:09 \__
>

>> News about Linux is good, news about Microsoft, good or bad, has
>> little place here.
>>
>> Just my opinion.
>
> If Microsoft stabs Linux in the back in one way or another, directly
> or indirectly, does that count as Linux news?

Possibly. I'll get back to you on a case by case basis :)

The problem with that line of thinking is that everything Microsoft does
can be seen to effect Linux in one way or another.

Take an example, the Microsoft/Novell deal was Linux news, the Vista
sales figures are not.

I know none of that is much help to you, but there you go.

One final thought for you to ponder, this is comp.os.linux.advocacy not
comp.os.linux.news. While Microsoft stabbing Linux in the back is
probably linux news, posting about it is unlikely to be linux advocacy.

Roy Schestowitz

May 1, 2007, 9:54:20 AM5/1/07
__/ [ Jamie Hart ] on Tuesday 01 May 2007 14:01 \__

Good points. I'll bear them in mind. I'm still undecided on this... you see,
the way I perceive this, Microsoft has many strategies planned behind closed
doors. When they are implemented, we need to 'backward-engineer' these
strategies and understand what trick/s Microsoft has up its sleeve. We need
to defend ourselves from things like Silverlight, for instance (which
Microsoft would say is 'cross platform' while it's in fact Mac/Win-only). I
pointed this out and I think it led to a Slashdot item. Awareness of an
unethical rival's acts is worthwhile. Microsoft watches the rivals like a
hawk and its resources permit the company to eliminate them. Google was wise
to call their mates in the Federal Givernment and the EU to send Microsoft a
signal... don't put links to your online services in the O/S... well,
Microsoft did this anyway, but that's a different story. They must have
learned from Netscape, among other victims such as Real Networks... wait
until the battle with VMWare heats up a bit...

--
~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz | "Turn up the jukebox and tell me a lie"

nes...@wigner.berkeley.edu

May 1, 2007, 11:22:25 AM5/1/07

> The problem with that line of thinking is that everything Microsoft does
> can be seen to effect Linux in one way or another.
>
> Take an example, the Microsoft/Novell deal was Linux news, the Vista
> sales figures are not.
>
> I know none of that is much help to you, but there you go.
>
> One final thought for you to ponder, this is comp.os.linux.advocacy not
> comp.os.linux.news. While Microsoft stabbing Linux in the back is
> probably linux news, posting about it is unlikely to be linux advocacy.

The cola charter says explicitly that this newgroup is for promoting
Linux in comparison to other OS's (I forget the exact words, but
"other operating systems" are mentioned). And Microsoft Windows is
the biggest competitor. If something negative is said about Windows
here, there is usually an implied message that you don't have the same
problem in Linux (DRM, activation, malware, you name it).

Another point, if I may. "Linux" of course precisely means the
kernel, but if we restricted discussion just to the kernel, we
wouldn't say very much (at least not here). So in my opinion news
about FOSS in general is relevant on this NG, as well as news about
related topics such as DRM.

I realize at a certain point it is a matter of opinion what is
relevant, and linux advocates may differ. But the horde of trolls
that infest this newsgroup have another agenda, and their "opinion"
about what is relevant is obviously based on an agenda that has
nothing to do with linux advocacy and everything to do with disrupting
and shutting down a source of embarrassing notice for Microsoft
Corp.

Mark Kent

May 1, 2007, 12:56:45 PM5/1/07
spi...@freenet.co.uk <spi...@freenet.co.uk> espoused:

> [H]omer <sp...@uce.gov> did eloquently scribble:
>> As a mark of respect to Microsoft, and those who supported them in this
>> endeavour (SFLC et al), I've decided to not make even a single
>> *negative* comment about Microsoft, Windows, proprietary software,
>> closed standards, the Xbox, or anything else connected with Microsoft
>> and the proprietary software industry, for a period of exactly one week
>> starting now.
>
> /me starts his stopwatch.
> I can't promise the same. Even though for once they've done good, it wasn't
> exactly out of the goodness of their heart.
>:)

My view exactly - leopards do not change their spots. This work was
done for entirely one thing alone, and might not have any positive
impact on Linux in any case.

Mark Kent

May 1, 2007, 12:55:22 PM5/1/07
[H]omer <sp...@uce.gov> espoused:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> __/ [ [H]omer ] on Tuesday 01 May 2007 07:51 \__
>
>>> As a mark of respect to Microsoft, and those who supported them in this
>>> endeavour (SFLC et al), I've decided to not make even a single
>>> *negative* comment about Microsoft
>
> [...]
>
>> Should I do the same with [News]? Just for a week?
>
> AFAICT there's enough positive news going round that it should be easy
> possible.
>
> Additionally I'll be adjusting the stats script to remove the insults
> (for one week only).

Guys - don't be so easily fooled. Leopards do not change their spots.
Microsoft did this for one reason, and one only, which was to save
themselves from paying a fine in real money. They have no interest
whatsoever in this in a wider sense, and there is no clear indication
that it will necessarily affect software patents in other arenas either,
as far as I can tell.

Please, don't stop whilst we're actually winning, this is the time to
really *go for it*. Remember, this never was a fair fight, because the
other team have no concept of fair, they only understand money.

Roy - I think it would be a crying shame to stop the News postings,
please don't!

Erik Funkenbusch

May 1, 2007, 4:28:07 PM5/1/07
On Tue, 1 May 2007 14:38:18 +0200, Guy Fawkes wrote:

>> *rolling eyes*
>>
>> Apparently you haven't been paying attetion for the last 20 years.
>> Microsoft has *NEVER* sued anyone in court for patent infringement where
>> they were not sued first.
>
> Maybe you've been living under a rock lately. Microsoft is consistently
> threatening Linux with patent infringement FUD by amongst others, Baldy. I'm
> also pretty sure they're quietly threatening legal action against large
> corporations (with subsidiaries or interests in the U.S.) and governments
> contemplating moving to Linux.

Ok, fine. Show me the the legal cease and desist letters. What? There
aren't any you say?

Microsoft wants to protect their IP, and they're going to say so. But they
have not said they would sue anyone. That's the Linux communities paranoid
imagination.

>> Microsoft doesn't believe in using pattents offensively. Otherwise, don't
>> you think they'd have been filing lawsuits for the last decade?
>
> How do you know? You work for them? Maybe they're just not willing to use
> this nuclear device just yet. If Linux desktop demployments starts to take
> off, they may well change their minds. It will almost certainly be used as a
> 'last resort' measure against Linux is my guess.

No, I don't work for them. However, their actions speak louder than their
words.

nes...@wigner.berkeley.edu

May 1, 2007, 5:16:53 PM5/1/07

> > Maybe you've been living under a rock lately. Microsoft is consistently
> > threatening Linux with patent infringement FUD by amongst others, Baldy. I'm
> > also pretty sure they're quietly threatening legal action against large
> > corporations (with subsidiaries or interests in the U.S.) and governments
> > contemplating moving to Linux.
>
> Ok, fine. Show me the the legal cease and desist letters. What? There
> aren't any you say?

There aren't any that I know of, but threats don't require cease and
desist letters to be effective. Just intimate that Linux violates
Microsoft IP without saying what or where (good tactic, used by SCO
for over four years running now), and that Microsoft *might* sue you
if you use or sell Linux.

> Microsoft wants to protect their IP, and they're going to say so. But they
> have not said they would sue anyone. That's the Linux communities paranoid
> imagination.

I get tired of this "paranoid" label you Microsoft people like to
stick on Linux advocates. Most of the things Microsoft has been
accused of by "paranoids" in this newsgroup they have been guilty of
at some time in the past.

> >> Microsoft doesn't believe in using pattents offensively. Otherwise, don't
> >> you think they'd have been filing lawsuits for the last decade?

See the article "Ballmer repeats threats against Linux"
Quote:
--------------------
Steve Ballmer has reissued Microsoft's patent threat against Linux,
warning open-source vendors that they must respect his company's
intellectual property....

In a clear threat against open-source users, Ballmer repeated his
earlier assertions that open source "is not free," referring to the
possibility that Microsoft may sue Linux sellers. Microsoft has
suggested that the Linux operating system infringes some of its
intellectual property, but it has never named the patents in
question....
---------------------------
http://news.com.com/Ballmer+repeats+threats+against+Linux/2100-7344_3-6160604.html

There have been several articles in the news lately about Microsoft's
veiled threats against those who use or sell Linux. This is just one.

Erik Funkenbusch

May 1, 2007, 5:36:55 PM5/1/07
On 1 May 2007 14:16:53 -0700, nes...@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:

>>> Maybe you've been living under a rock lately. Microsoft is consistently
>>> threatening Linux with patent infringement FUD by amongst others, Baldy. I'm
>>> also pretty sure they're quietly threatening legal action against large
>>> corporations (with subsidiaries or interests in the U.S.) and governments
>>> contemplating moving to Linux.
>>
>> Ok, fine. Show me the the legal cease and desist letters. What? There
>> aren't any you say?
>
> There aren't any that I know of, but threats don't require cease and
> desist letters to be effective. Just intimate that Linux violates
> Microsoft IP without saying what or where (good tactic, used by SCO
> for over four years running now), and that Microsoft *might* sue you
> if you use or sell Linux.

As I said, Microsoft is going to talk about it's IP, and want to protect
it. They will certainly seek payment of royalties from people using their
IP. That doesn't mean they're going to sue anyone if they don't.

>> Microsoft wants to protect their IP, and they're going to say so. But they
>> have not said they would sue anyone. That's the Linux communities paranoid
>> imagination.
>
> I get tired of this "paranoid" label you Microsoft people like to
> stick on Linux advocates. Most of the things Microsoft has been
> accused of by "paranoids" in this newsgroup they have been guilty of
> at some time in the past.

Then show me any comment from Microsoft in which they even suggest that a
lawsuit might be coming. There is a difference between saying "Hey, you're
using my stuff, i'd like some money for that" and "If you don't pay me,
i'll sue you".

> See the article "Ballmer repeats threats against Linux"
> Quote:
> --------------------
> Steve Ballmer has reissued Microsoft's patent threat against Linux,
> warning open-source vendors that they must respect his company's
> intellectual property....
>
> In a clear threat against open-source users, Ballmer repeated his
> earlier assertions that open source "is not free," referring to the
> possibility that Microsoft may sue Linux sellers. Microsoft has
> suggested that the Linux operating system infringes some of its
> intellectual property, but it has never named the patents in
> question....
> ---------------------------
> http://news.com.com/Ballmer+repeats+threats+against+Linux/2100-7344_3-6160604.html
>
> There have been several articles in the news lately about Microsoft's
> veiled threats against those who use or sell Linux. This is just one.

A threat requries a consequence. Microsoft has not said there would be any
consequences. Nor do I believe they would sue anyone who did not sue them
first.

Let's say I own a bunch of land. I say point blank that use of the land is
not free, but there are a bunch of squatters out there. Does that mean i'm
going to send thugs out to kick everyone off the property? No. I simply
have to make clear that use of the land is not free, otherwise some large
corporation may come in and start using the land without payment.

Microsoft wants IBM and Novell and Sun and any other commercial interest to
pay for the right to use IP they own, but they're not going to sue some
guys in makeshift huts to achieve that.

In fact, what Microsoft really wants is patent cross licensing. The more
that patents are shared, the better off everyone is.

Linonut

May 1, 2007, 5:51:23 PM5/1/07
After takin' a swig o' grog, Erik Funkenbusch belched out this bit o' wisdom:

> On Tue, 1 May 2007 14:38:18 +0200, Guy Fawkes wrote:
>
>> Maybe you've been living under a rock lately. Microsoft is consistently
>> threatening Linux with patent infringement FUD by amongst others, Baldy. I'm
>> also pretty sure they're quietly threatening legal action against large
>> corporations (with subsidiaries or interests in the U.S.) and governments
>> contemplating moving to Linux.
>
> Ok, fine. Show me the the legal cease and desist letters. What? There
> aren't any you say?

What, you think a private threat is the same as a public legal action?

And the public threat is quite implicit in Ballmer's words.

> Microsoft wants to protect their IP, and they're going to say so. But they
> have not said they would sue anyone.

Of course they didn't. They don't have to. All they have to do present
a threatening and mysterious air.

> That's the Linux communities paranoid imagination.

No, that is /you/ putting words in our mouths (and the poster's).

> No, I don't work for them. However, their actions speak louder than their
> words.

They sure do. Thanks for agreeing, Erik.

I tend to agree with Guy that Microsoft will sue, if backed into a
corner.

--
"Take her in for regrooving." -- The Firesign Theatre

Erik Funkenbusch

May 1, 2007, 6:23:22 PM5/1/07
On Tue, 01 May 2007 16:51:23 -0500, Linonut wrote:

> I tend to agree with Guy that Microsoft will sue, if backed into a
> corner.

Yeah, people have been saying that for 10+ years. It hasn't happened yet.

I'll even go so far as this. The day microsoft files a lawsuit against any
open source vendor where they were not sued first, be it big or small, I
will leave COLA forever (with the possible exception of unintentional cross
posts from other groups).

Peter Köhlmann

May 1, 2007, 6:29:01 PM5/1/07
Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

Don't promise anything.
You will find ways to wiggle out of it. There is nobody as dishonest as you
in cola, even Bill Weisgerber, Tim Smith and Hadron Quark are just poor
imitations of your boundless dishonesty
--
You're genuinely bogus.

Jim Richardson

May 1, 2007, 7:07:52 PM5/1/07

Step by step, day by day, machine by machine, the penguins march forward.

John Locke

May 1, 2007, 8:08:47 PM5/1/07
On Tue, 01 May 2007 08:48:51 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
<newsg...@schestowitz.com> wrote:

>__/ [ [H]omer ] on Tuesday 01 May 2007 07:51 \__
>
>> In what I hope will be a pivotal moment in the history of the software
>> industry, Microsoft won a Supreme Court victory against Software
>> Patents, thus potentially leading the way towards the end of Software
>> Patents altogether. AFAIK no judgements in any similar court cases, nor
>> any rulings by government bodies, have previously driven forward the
>> process of eliminating Software Patents as significantly as this case.
>>
>> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20070430121005424
>>
>> As a mark of respect to Microsoft, and those who supported them in this
>> endeavour (SFLC et al), I've decided to not make even a single
>> *negative* comment about Microsoft, Windows, proprietary software,
>> closed standards, the Xbox, or anything else connected with Microsoft
>> and the proprietary software industry, for a period of exactly one week
>> starting now.
>>
>> I further vow to not make any *negative* comments about any of the
>> Windows advocates in this group for the same period. These promises
>> extend to posts I make on my Blog, and any comments I leave on other
>> Blogs and Social Networking sites.
>>
>> Just one week though. That's it. Probably.
>>
>> Oh and I'm *not* going to make it easy by just not posting *anything* :)
>
>Should I do the same with [News]? Just for a week?

Nope. Roy, you'd go into withdrawal. Besides, with Microsoft, there's
always something fishy in Denmark. We just haven't found the fish yet.

Tim Smith

May 1, 2007, 8:25:27 PM5/1/07
In article <ek4jg4-...@sky.matrix>, "[H]omer" <sp...@uce.gov> wrote:
> As a mark of respect to Microsoft, and those who supported them in this
> endeavour (SFLC et al), I've decided to not make even a single
> *negative* comment about Microsoft, Windows, proprietary software,
> closed standards, the Xbox, or anything else connected with Microsoft
> and the proprietary software industry, for a period of exactly one week
> starting now.
>
> I further vow to not make any *negative* comments about any of the
> Windows advocates in this group for the same period. These promises
> extend to posts I make on my Blog, and any comments I leave on other
> Blogs and Social Networking sites.
>
> Just one week though. That's it. Probably.

So, basically you are vowing to be a nice, decent, poster for a week?

--
--Tim Smith

Linonut

May 1, 2007, 8:46:24 PM5/1/07
After takin' a swig o' grog, Erik Funkenbusch belched out this bit o' wisdom:

> On Tue, 01 May 2007 16:51:23 -0500, Linonut wrote:

>> I tend to agree with Guy that Microsoft will sue, if backed into a
>> corner.
>
> Yeah, people have been saying that for 10+ years. It hasn't happened yet.

What, them being backed into a corner?

> I'll even go so far as this. The day microsoft files a lawsuit against any
> open source vendor where they were not sued first, be it big or small, I
> will leave COLA forever (with the possible exception of unintentional cross
> posts from other groups).

You should leave, then. The SCO Group is a Microsoft proxy.

--
"He's dead, Jim!"

Linonut

May 1, 2007, 8:52:08 PM5/1/07
After takin' a swig o' grog, Jim Richardson belched out this bit o' wisdom:

> <http://news.zdnet.co.uk/itmanagement/0,1000000308,39280317,00.htm>

> Microsoft filed a patent infringement claim against peripherals maker
> Belkin on Tuesday.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,118767-page,1/article.html

The lawsuits, which allege copyright and trademark infringement,
follow a 12-month investigation by Microsoft, the Redmond,
Washington-based software maker says in a statement.

Not patents, though.

http://news.com.com/Microsoft+sues+over+Google+hire/2100-1014_3-5795051.html

Opening a new chapter in its rivalry with Google, Microsoft on
Tuesday sued the search giant and a former Microsoft executive who
has been tapped by Google to run its China operations.

Not patents, though.

Ahhhrrrrgh. Boring.

Results 1 - 10 of about 105,000 for "Microsoft sues"

--
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a great many
instructions were executed.

The Ghost In The Machine

May 1, 2007, 9:13:15 PM5/1/07
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, John Locke
<johnloc...@comcast.net>
wrote
on Tue, 01 May 2007 17:08:47 -0700
<ehlf33hjqsem02ejk...@4ax.com>:

Well, there might be some in Lake Sammamish, just east of a certain
company's campus...

:-)

One might also look westward in Lake Washington, or even in the East
Passage, which connects to the Pacific.

(Not that I have a clue, really, though Seattle did have a pretty
downtown area the one time I went visiting.)

#191, ewi...@earthlink.net
Warning: This encrypted signature is a dangerous
munition. Please notify the US government
immediately upon reception.
0000 0000 0000 0000 0001 0000 0000 0000 ...

Roy Schestowitz

May 1, 2007, 9:09:53 PM5/1/07
__/ [ nes...@wigner.berkeley.edu ] on Tuesday 01 May 2007 16:22 \__

Would you guys like a 'second-level' tag such as [Linux] or [Rival] appended
to news so that you can filter accordingly? I would happily do this. In the
past I actually thought about assigning numbers to indicate importance,
e.g.:

[News] [Linux] [1] H-P Says It'll Preinstall Linux
[News] [Rival] [3] Vista Sales Poorer Than Expected
[News] [Rival] [1] Microsoft Files for Lawsuit Against Red Hat
[News] [Linux] [7] Thunderbird 2.0 for Linux Reviewed

Thoughts?

--
~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz | Windows O/S: chmod a-x internet; kill -9 internet

2:05am up 3 days 10:20, 5 users, load average: 1.07, 1.07, 1.10

Erik Funkenbusch

May 1, 2007, 10:23:57 PM5/1/07
On Tue, 1 May 2007 16:07:52 -0700, Jim Richardson wrote:

> On Tue, 1 May 2007 05:57:50 -0500,
> Erik Funkenbusch <er...@despam-funkenbusch.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 1 May 2007 11:08:28 +0200, Guy Fawkes wrote:
>>
>>> "[H]omer" <sp...@uce.gov> schreef in bericht

>>> Good for them. But it also means they've cut themselves off another possible
>>> venue for attacking Linux. So it will hurt them almost as much as it will
>>> help them.
>>
>> *rolling eyes*
>>
>> Apparently you haven't been paying attetion for the last 20 years.
>> Microsoft has *NEVER* sued anyone in court for patent infringement where
>> they were not sued first.
>
> <http://news.zdnet.co.uk/itmanagement/0,1000000308,39280317,00.htm>

Interesting, I wasn't aware of that one. However, we're talking about
software patents, not hardware patents. I think everyone agrees that
hardware patents on real inventions are not a bad thing (in most cases).

So i'll rephrase to include the word "software" to be more specific.

alt

May 1, 2007, 10:25:14 PM5/1/07

I wouldn't put a priority mark as what one person considered important
another might consider unimportant, and vice versa.

Otherwise, yes, it wouldn't be a bad idea.

[H]omer

May 1, 2007, 10:30:38 PM5/1/07
Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Kent spake thusly:

> [H]omer <sp...@uce.gov> espoused:
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>> __/ [ [H]omer ] on Tuesday 01 May 2007 07:51 \__

>> [...]

>>> Should I do the same with [News]? Just for a week?

>> AFAICT there's enough positive news going round that it should be easy
>> possible.
>>
>> Additionally I'll be adjusting the stats script to remove the insults
>> (for one week only).

> Guys - don't be so easily fooled. Leopards do not change their spots.
> Microsoft did this for one reason, and one only, which was to save
> themselves from paying a fine in real money. They have no interest
> whatsoever in this in a wider sense, and there is no clear indication
> that it will necessarily affect software patents in other arenas either,
> as far as I can tell.

Consider this; regardless of Microsoft's overall motives, who stands to
be more damaged by the existence of software patents - a community of
largely impoverished FOSS developers, or the richest software company in
the world?

Microsoft can easily afford these legal battles, so from a strategic
point of view, it would actually be in their better interest to *not*
fight the existence of a system that so heavily damages their most
dangerous competitor. And I'm talking about the future, not current
market share. FOSS is viral (in a good way, IMHO) and Microsoft know
this, but nonetheless handed a vitally important strategic advantage to
the FOSS community that has a direct bearing on its "viral" nature.

Why?

I really don't know, but I do know that the *result* was a good deed.

I'm not blind to the big picture, but equally it's important to take
advantage of the apparently trivial things, that happen on a day by day
basis. That is, after all, how we reach our goals ... day by day.

--
K.
http://slated.org

,----
| I realize that a lot of people see this as a fight. But I tell you,
| those people are missing the point. We’re not fighting. At least
| the useful people aren’t fighting. No good code ever comes out of
| people who do things because they are afraid, or because they hate.
|
| - Linus Torvalds. http://tinyurl.com/eumwb (Groklaw)
`----

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.20-1.2312.fc5
03:28:37 up 15 days, 1:00, 3 users, load average: 0.37, 0.30, 0.32

Roy Schestowitz

May 1, 2007, 11:26:15 PM5/1/07
__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Wednesday 02 May 2007 02:13 \__

Should I flag them differently so that people get choice (through filters)? I
have also been thinking about a priority-like tag to save you guys from
looking at cruft.

> Well, there might be some in Lake Sammamish, just east of a certain
> company's campus...
>
> :-)
>
> One might also look westward in Lake Washington, or even in the East
> Passage, which connects to the Pacific.
>
> (Not that I have a clue, really, though Seattle did have a pretty
> downtown area the one time I went visiting.)

I'm just glad the fish (you know which one) is gone. He has also disappeared
from Digg after getting about 4 separate accounts terminated, suspended, or
deleted (with comments nuked as well). Identity theft is an easy one to
eliminate. :-)

--
~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz | "Hack to learn, don't learn to hack"

4:20am up 3 days 12:35, 5 users, load average: 1.35, 1.00, 1.02

AB

May 2, 2007, 2:05:21 AM5/2/07
On 2007-05-02, Linonut <lin...@bone.com> claimed:

Don't worry. Erik won't leave. He's already figured ways to slither
through any tiny pinholes in his words should any actions by MS or
proxies (yes, multiple) put him in a position to need to live up to his
words.

After all, he's a Windozer. They *all* lie. And Erik's one of the liars
the others learn the tricks of their trade from (which is why the
Rhondas and the DuFSes admire him so, and always speak of him in
glowing terms).

--
Bugs come in through open Windows.

AB

May 2, 2007, 2:09:38 AM5/2/07
On 2007-05-02, Erik Funkenbusch <er...@despam-funkenbusch.com> claimed:

Told you he'd find a way to wiggle out of leaving!

That's our Ewik, the inveterate liar.

--
Bill Gates: "As long as they [China] are going to steal it, we want
them to steal ours. They'll get sort of addicted, and then we'll

Jim Richardson

May 2, 2007, 2:48:50 AM5/2/07

"We are a nation of laws, poorly written and randomly enforced."
-- Frank Zappa

Erik Funkenbusch

May 2, 2007, 3:41:10 AM5/2/07
On Tue, 1 May 2007 23:48:50 -0700, Jim Richardson wrote:

> On Wed, 2 May 2007 01:09:38 -0500,
> AB <fardb...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Interesting, I wasn't aware of that one. However, we're talking about
>>> software patents, not hardware patents. I think everyone agrees that
>>> hardware patents on real inventions are not a bad thing (in most cases).
>>>
>>> So i'll rephrase to include the word "software" to be more specific.
>>
>> Told you he'd find a way to wiggle out of leaving!
>>
>> That's our Ewik, the inveterate liar.
>
> it was predictable.

Oh give me a break. You know damn well we're talking about software
patents, so just stuff it.

Jamie Hart

May 2, 2007, 4:53:10 AM5/2/07

> __/ [ Jamie Hart ] on Tuesday 01 May 2007 14:01 \__
>
>> Roy Schestowitz <newsg...@schestowitz.com> wrote in
>>
>>> __/ [ Jamie Hart ] on Tuesday 01 May 2007 09:09 \__

>>> If Microsoft stabs Linux in the back in one way or another, directly
>>> or indirectly, does that count as Linux news?
>>>
>> Possibly. I'll get back to you on a case by case basis :)
>>
>> The problem with that line of thinking is that everything Microsoft
>> does can be seen to effect Linux in one way or another.
>>
>> Take an example, the Microsoft/Novell deal was Linux news, the Vista
>> sales figures are not.
>>
>> I know none of that is much help to you, but there you go.
>>
>> One final thought for you to ponder, this is comp.os.linux.advocacy
>> not comp.os.linux.news. While Microsoft stabbing Linux in the back
>> is probably linux news, posting about it is unlikely to be linux
>> advocacy.
>
> Good points. I'll bear them in mind. I'm still undecided on this...
> you see, the way I perceive this, Microsoft has many strategies
> planned behind closed doors. When they are implemented, we need to
> 'backward-engineer' these strategies and understand what trick/s
> Microsoft has up its sleeve.

I'd agree that the linux movement needs to understand what Microsoft is
doing, in fact as members of that movement we all need to understand
that. However, this forum is not necessarilly the best place to make
that information known.

While we are Linux users, we're also Linux advocates. We are here to
advocate linux, i.e. to try to encourage others to try Linux. Your news
posts _about_ Linux are very good advocacy, they let people know that
Linux is growing and maturing.

The news posts that deal with Microsoft on the other hand, are not aimed
at encouraging new linux users. They are, as you pointed out, aimed at
keeping existing Linux users informed.

As I said, that's a worthy goal, and I'm not saying it isn't needed, but
I do think that this forum is the wrong place for it.

Jamie Hart

May 2, 2007, 5:11:45 AM5/2/07
"nes...@wigner.berkeley.edu" <nes...@wigner.berkeley.edu> wrote in

>> The problem with that line of thinking is that everything Microsoft
>> does can be seen to effect Linux in one way or another.
>>
>> Take an example, the Microsoft/Novell deal was Linux news, the Vista
>> sales figures are not.
>>
>> I know none of that is much help to you, but there you go.
>>
>> One final thought for you to ponder, this is comp.os.linux.advocacy
>> not comp.os.linux.news. While Microsoft stabbing Linux in the back
>> is probably linux news, posting about it is unlikely to be linux
>> advocacy.
>
> The cola charter says explicitly that this newgroup is for promoting
> Linux in comparison to other OS's (I forget the exact words, but
> "other operating systems" are mentioned). And Microsoft Windows is
> the biggest competitor. If something negative is said about Windows
> here, there is usually an implied message that you don't have the same
> problem in Linux (DRM, activation, malware, you name it).

That is certainly true, and for the majority of posts about _windows_
I'd agree. What I'm concerned about is the number of posts about
_Microsoft_.

I think it is despicable when DFS and cohorts post negative things about
prominent Open Source figures in an attempt to smear Linux, and I don't
like it any better when people on our side do the same thing.

Maybe it's because I'm old and cynical, but I don't think most Open
Source programmers (myself included) are working as hard as they are
through altruism, they expect to get something in return. The people
working for Microsoft do too.

So, in my opinion (and it is just an opinion) windows is fair game,
though I'd prefer more of a linux slant even on those posts ("Linux
immune to 15,000,000 viruses" rather than "Windows XP vulnerable to
15,000,000 viruses"). But posts about Microsoft and it's dealing that
don't involve linux are irrelevant and actually hurt our cause.

Jamie Hart

May 2, 2007, 5:49:46 AM5/2/07
Erik Funkenbusch <er...@despam-funkenbusch.com> wrote in

> As I said, Microsoft is going to talk about it's IP, and want to
> protect it.

And how would they do that without suing people who infringe their IP?

> They will certainly seek payment of royalties from people using their
> IP.

And how are they going to ensure that payments are made?

> That doesn't mean they're going to sue anyone if they don't.

If they don't they aren't protecting their IP, which even you agree they
want to do.

>> I get tired of this "paranoid" label you Microsoft people like to
>> stick on Linux advocates. Most of the things Microsoft has been
>> accused of by "paranoids" in this newsgroup they have been guilty of
>> at some time in the past.
>
> Then show me any comment from Microsoft in which they even suggest
> that a lawsuit might be coming. There is a difference between saying
> "Hey, you're using my stuff, i'd like some money for that" and "If you
> don't pay me, i'll sue you".

How about you show us one comment from Microsoft thast says they won't
sue anyone over IP?

Roy Schestowitz

May 2, 2007, 5:57:52 AM5/2/07
__/ [ Jamie Hart ] on Wednesday 02 May 2007 09:53 \__

Hmmm... I suppose this means that tagging would not be useful (new users
haven't filters). :-S

--
~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz | Linux: does exactly what it says on the tin
http://Schestowitz.com | Open Prospects Ś PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
Tasks: 117 total, 1 running, 114 sleeping, 0 stopped, 2 zombie

Roy Schestowitz

May 2, 2007, 5:59:40 AM5/2/07
__/ [ alt ] on Wednesday 02 May 2007 03:25 \__

Excellent. I'll try to figure out some consistent tags so that there's no
'tag dilution'. I'll see how it 'converges' and where balance is attained...

--
~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz | Linux: does exactly what it says on the tin

Hadron Quark

May 2, 2007, 6:14:04 AM5/2/07
Jamie Hart <use...@jhart.ath.cx> writes:

How about you show me some proof that Ubuntu won't close down in exactly
652 days.

Hey! This is fun!

BearItAll

May 2, 2007, 6:47:46 AM5/2/07
Hadron Quark wrote:

It shouldn't matter, Ubuntu could fall and the Ubuntu OS would not have to
fall with it. There is nothing wrong with their users getting what
bits-n-bobs they fancy from other places. It isn't as if Ubuntu them selves
wrote Ubuntu after all. Good old Debian is still there and still a rock on
which they sit.

Of cause it would have effects off the OS, in news groups mainly I suspect.

That hopefully is a part of Linux that will never fail, that no one is
entirely dependant on any distro, except specialist distros of cause where
it probably can't be avoided.

The worry I suppose is if someone does come out with a very different Linux
setup that proves as popular as Ubuntu, then I'll be willing to hold a
banner and walk in circles outside their offices.

Jamie Hart

May 2, 2007, 6:57:33 AM5/2/07
Hadron Quark <hadro...@gmail.com> wrote in

> Jamie Hart <use...@jhart.ath.cx> writes:
>
>> How about you show us one comment from Microsoft thast says they won't
>> sue anyone over IP?
>
> How about you show me some proof that Ubuntu won't close down in exactly
> 652 days.

Trying to twist things again Hadron?

I didn't ask for proof that Microsoft would never sue anyone, just for
evidence that they've said they wouldn't.

> Hey! This is fun!

Try using more than one brain cell at a time, that's even more fun.

Hadron Quark

May 2, 2007, 7:11:52 AM5/2/07
Jamie Hart <use...@jhart.ath.cx> writes:

You have, not cleverly, erected a straw man to support your lame attacks.

No one said they denied they would ever sue. The evidence is there,
however, that they, to date, never have.

Please. Did you take your arse off that plate I offered it to you on back
in the WINE days?

*titter*

Johan Lindquist

May 2, 2007, 7:24:43 AM5/2/07
So anyway, it was like, 12:57 CEST May 02 2007, you know? Oh, and, yeah,
Jamie Hart was all like, "Dude,

> Hadron Quark <hadro...@gmail.com> wrote in

>> Hey! This is fun!

> Try using more than one brain cell at a time, that's even more fun.

He might have to call a friend for that to happen tho.

--
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. Perth ---> *
13:24:24 up 16 days, 13:43, 2 users, load average: 0.05, 0.07, 0.08

Hadron Quark

May 2, 2007, 7:36:49 AM5/2/07
Johan Lindquist <sp...@smilfinken.net> writes:

> So anyway, it was like, 12:57 CEST May 02 2007, you know? Oh, and, yeah,
> Jamie Hart was all like, "Dude,
>> Hadron Quark <hadro...@gmail.com> wrote in
>
>>> Hey! This is fun!
>>
>> Try using more than one brain cell at a time, that's even more fun.
>
> He might have to call a friend for that to happen tho.

Oh look, a good 'ol fashion COLA tar and feathering. Yee ha!!! Never
let the facts get in the way of a good tarring fellas!

Peter Köhlmann

May 2, 2007, 7:53:47 AM5/2/07
Hadron Quark wrote:

What "facts", "true linux advocate", "kernel hacker", "emacs user"
and "swapfile expert" Hadron Quark?
The fact that you tried to hijact a thread with idiocy?
--
Microsoft: The company that made email dangerous
And web browsing. And viewing pictures. And...

Jamie Hart

May 2, 2007, 8:04:52 AM5/2/07

> Jamie Hart <use...@jhart.ath.cx> writes:
>
>> Hadron Quark <hadro...@gmail.com> wrote in

>>> How about you show me some proof that Ubuntu won't close down in
>>> exactly 652 days.
>>>
>> Trying to twist things again Hadron?
>>
>> I didn't ask for proof that Microsoft would never sue anyone, just
>> for evidence that they've said they wouldn't.
>>
>>> Hey! This is fun!
>>
>> Try using more than one brain cell at a time, that's even more fun.
>
> You have, not cleverly, erected a straw man to support your lame
> attacks.

Neither strawman nor attacks are actually there, you're seeing things.

> No one said they denied they would ever sue. The evidence is there,
> however, that they, to date, never have.

That is perfectly true, but that is not what Erik was saying. He said
that they never had and that therefore they wouldn't (except if they
were sued first).

There is no more evidence to support that conclusion than there is to
support the notion that they will.

Which was what I was pointing out to Erik.

Maybe you should try to understand what is posted before attempting
these silly attacks.

> Please. Did you take your arse off that plate I offered it to you on
> back in the WINE days?
>
> *titter*

Do you really have so little to feel good about yourself that you have
to keep reinforcing your self image by bringing up the one time I left
an argument before you did?

Christ man, that was months ago, haven't you done anything to feel good
about since then?

You know, that's really sad.

Johan Lindquist

May 2, 2007, 8:44:46 AM5/2/07
So anyway, it was like, 13:36 CEST May 02 2007, you know? Oh, and, yeah,
Hadron Quark was all like, "Dude,

You're confusing getting tarred and feathered with being called a
brainless fool.

--
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. Perth ---> *

14:43:49 up 16 days, 15:03, 2 users, load average: 0.10, 0.08, 0.09

Hadron Quark

May 2, 2007, 9:12:21 AM5/2/07
Johan Lindquist <sp...@smilfinken.net> writes:

> So anyway, it was like, 13:36 CEST May 02 2007, you know? Oh, and, yeah,
> Hadron Quark was all like, "Dude,
>> Johan Lindquist <sp...@smilfinken.net> writes:
>>> So anyway, it was like, 12:57 CEST May 02 2007, you know? Oh, and, yeah,
>>> Jamie Hart was all like, "Dude,

>>> He might have to call a friend for that to happen tho.
>>
>> Oh look, a good 'ol fashion COLA tar and feathering. Yee ha!!! Never
>> let the facts get in the way of a good tarring fellas!
>
> You're confusing getting tarred and feathered with being called a
> brainless fool.

And I think you are just getting confused. Being called a brainless fool
by you is amazingly funny. Really.

--
No, it depends on whether not you can think or not, Wrong. : chrisv, COLA

AB

May 2, 2007, 9:27:58 AM5/2/07
On 2007-05-02, Jim Richardson <war...@eskimo.com> claimed:

> On Wed, 2 May 2007 01:09:38 -0500,
> AB <fardb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 2007-05-02, Erik Funkenbusch <er...@despam-funkenbusch.com> claimed:

>>> Interesting, I wasn't aware of that one. However, we're talking about

>>> software patents, not hardware patents. I think everyone agrees that
>>> hardware patents on real inventions are not a bad thing (in most cases).
>>>
>>> So i'll rephrase to include the word "software" to be more specific.
>>
>> Told you he'd find a way to wiggle out of leaving!
>>
>> That's our Ewik, the inveterate liar.
>>

> it was predictable.

It was. But I thought it was going to be another one of those we'd have
to look around to find. I *never* would have predicted such a short
separation between the promise and the breaking of it.

--
VISTA: Very Irritating System, Try Another

cc

May 2, 2007, 9:34:17 AM5/2/07
On May 2, 8:04 am, Jamie Hart <use...@jhart.ath.cx> wrote:
> Hadron Quark <hadronqu...@gmail.com> wrote innews:873b2fl...@gmail.com:
>

> > Jamie Hart <use...@jhart.ath.cx> writes:
>
> >> Hadron Quark <hadronqu...@gmail.com> wrote in

> >> Trying to twist things again Hadron?
>
> >> I didn't ask for proof that Microsoft would never sue anyone, just
> >> for evidence that they've said they wouldn't.

> >> Try using more than one brain cell at a time, that's even more fun.
>
> > You have, not cleverly, erected a straw man to support your lame
> > attacks.
>
> Neither strawman nor attacks are actually there, you're seeing things.
>
> > No one said they denied they would ever sue. The evidence is there,
> > however, that they, to date, never have.
>
> That is perfectly true, but that is not what Erik was saying. He said
> that they never had and that therefore they wouldn't (except if they
> were sued first).
>
> There is no more evidence to support that conclusion than there is to
> support the notion that they will.
>
> Which was what I was pointing out to Erik.
>
> Maybe you should try to understand what is posted before attempting
> these silly attacks.

So you're saying that we have no idea what the future holds?
Astounding revelation. But seriously, why isn't there more evidence to
support the notion that they won't sue in the future? All we have to
go by is past trends, and the current trend is that they won't sue.
Every year the Yankees get good odds to win the World Series. Does
that mean they'll win the World Series this year? No. But there is
more evidence to support them winning rather than losing. It is a fact
that Microsoft has not sued over software patents yet, correct? On the
other side, there is no evidence of them planning to sue, or actually
suing, correct? So if you had to make a predicition based on those two
key pieces of evidence, which one is more likely that they would or
would not sue?

Johan Lindquist

May 2, 2007, 9:31:25 AM5/2/07
So anyway, it was like, 15:12 CEST May 02 2007, you know? Oh, and, yeah,

Hadron Quark was all like, "Dude,
> Johan Lindquist <sp...@smilfinken.net> writes:

>> You're confusing getting tarred and feathered with being called a
>> brainless fool.
>
> And I think you are just getting confused. Being called a brainless
> fool by you is amazingly funny. Really.

Really? Glad I could help then, you brainless fool!

hth, hand.

--
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. Perth ---> *

15:30:26 up 16 days, 15:49, 2 users, load average: 0.08, 0.10, 0.09

AB

May 2, 2007, 9:41:20 AM5/2/07
On 2007-05-02, Johan Lindquist <sp...@smilfinken.net> claimed:

> So anyway, it was like, 12:57 CEST May 02 2007, you know? Oh, and, yeah,
> Jamie Hart was all like, "Dude,
>> Hadron Quark <hadro...@gmail.com> wrote in
>
>>> Hey! This is fun!
>>
>> Try using more than one brain cell at a time, that's even more fun.
>
> He might have to call a friend for that to happen tho.

That means he'd have trouble trying to scrounge up another to use with
the one he already acquired illicitly.

--
Windows: Because you have too much free time.

Hadron Quark

May 2, 2007, 9:41:54 AM5/2/07
cc <scat...@hotmail.com> writes:

Yup. And they call me a brainless fool? These guys are deranged. Really.

> Astounding revelation. But seriously, why isn't there more evidence to
> support the notion that they won't sue in the future? All we have to
> go by is past trends, and the current trend is that they won't sue.

And that Ubuntu wont close in 38 days ....

--
C is quirky, flawed, and an enormous success
-- Dennis M. Ritchie

Hadron Quark

May 2, 2007, 9:46:14 AM5/2/07
AB <fardb...@gmail.com> writes:

Oh, you guys. Youse are so much more like smartlike than what I am. he
huh he huh.

--
Dijkstra probably hates me.
-- Linus Torvalds, in kernel/sched.c

Phil Da Lick!

May 2, 2007, 10:09:19 AM5/2/07
[H]omer wrote:
> In what I hope will be a pivotal moment in the history of the software
> industry, Microsoft won a Supreme Court victory against Software
> Patents, thus potentially leading the way towards the end of Software
> Patents altogether. AFAIK no judgements in any similar court cases, nor
> any rulings by government bodies, have previously driven forward the
> process of eliminating Software Patents as significantly as this case.
>
> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20070430121005424

Their stance isn't anti software patent. It's anti obvious software
patent. Where they control the definition of obvious so as not to
invalidate their entire stock of patents.

Kier

May 2, 2007, 10:20:51 AM5/2/07

Well said. I agree with you.

--