Microsoft: Learn to love software licences

nes...@wigner.berkeley.edu

Jul 6, 2006, 6:56:25 AM7/6/06
Quote:
----------
Changes made last week to Microsoft's Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA)
licence management program have caused mixed feelings among users but
the company has insisted its licensing strategy is mainly aimed at
helping users, not penalising them.
----------
End quote

http://software.silicon.com/applications/0,39024653,39160106,00.htm

Linonut

Jul 6, 2006, 7:25:00 AM7/6/06
After takin' a swig o' grog, nes...@wigner.berkeley.edu belched out this bit o' wisdom:

> Quote:
> ----------
> Changes made last week to Microsoft's Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA)
> licence management program have caused mixed feelings among users but
> the company has insisted its licensing strategy is mainly aimed at
> helping users, not penalising them.
> ----------

That would be "penilizing", I believe.

--
MP3 is not a crime!

Gordon

Jul 6, 2006, 7:53:52 AM7/6/06
Linonut wrote:

No, depends on which side of the Atlantic you are......

--
Registered Linux User no 240308
Kubuntu 6.06, Open Office 2

High Plains Thumper

Jul 6, 2006, 7:54:53 AM7/6/06
Linonut wrote:
> nessuno belched:

>> Quote:
>> ----------
>> Changes made last week to Microsoft's Windows Genuine
>> Advantage (WGA) licence management program have caused
>> mixed feelings among users but the company has insisted
>> its licensing strategy is mainly aimed at helping users,
>> not penalising them. ----------
>
> That would be "penilizing", I believe.

Per _Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary_

penalise

One entry found for penalise.
Main Entry: pe搖al搏se

British variant of PENALIZE

However, I just got an E-mail from Apple. It states,

In the past 30 days has your PC:

A. Crashed
B. Frozen
C. Made you want to pummel your
screen with a sledgehammer
D. All of the above

It just works. Another reason to own a Mac.

I am not advocating Mac, but I found it an interesting point.
Seems that Mr. Jobs is poking Mr. Gates.

Better yet, "Linux, it just works." I like that ring.

--
HPT

Paul

Jul 6, 2006, 8:25:11 AM7/6/06
High Plains Thumper wrote:

[...]

> Better yet, "Linux, it just works." I like that ring.

*Only* just in some cases.

Roy Schestowitz

Jul 6, 2006, 8:34:24 AM7/6/06
__/ [ High Plains Thumper ] on Thursday 06 July 2006 12:54 \__

> Linonut wrote:
>> nessuno belched:
>>
>>> Quote:
>>> ----------
>>> Changes made last week to Microsoft's Windows Genuine
>>> Advantage (WGA) licence management program have caused
>>> mixed feelings among users but the company has insisted
>>> its licensing strategy is mainly aimed at helping users,
>>> not penalising them. ----------
>>
>> That would be "penilizing", I believe.
>
> Per _Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary_
>
> penalise
>
> One entry found for penalise.

> Main Entry: pe·nal·ise
>
> British variant of PENALIZE

True. I suspect that this debate (which started with Gruff) just carries
on...

"Z" spellings should be associated with Windows, e.g. "ownz" and "WindowZ".

> However, I just got an E-mail from Apple. It states,
>
> In the past 30 days has your PC:
>
> A. Crashed
> B. Frozen
> C. Made you want to pummel your
> screen with a sledgehammer
> D. All of the above
>
> It just works. Another reason to own a Mac.

It sounds like uninvited mail (junk mail) to me. I hear that Apple's
marketing department tends to do that...

> I am not advocating Mac, but I found it an interesting point.
> Seems that Mr. Jobs is poking Mr. Gates.
>
> Better yet, "Linux, it just works." I like that ring.

At least it doesn't /ring/ 'mother ship'. *wink*

Best wishes,

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz The Holy Bible: http://www.gtk.org/documentation.html
http://Schestowitz.com | Free as in Free Beer ¦ PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E

spi...@freenet.co.uk

Jul 6, 2006, 10:23:04 AM7/6/06
Linonut <lin...@bone.com> did eloquently scribble:

Not according to ispell.
penalising is correct.
| spi...@freenet.co.uk | "I'm alive!!! I can touch! I can taste! |

Gordon

Jul 6, 2006, 10:46:28 AM7/6/06
High Plains Thumper wrote:

> Per _Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary_
>
> penalise
>
> One entry found for penalise.

> Main Entry: pe·nal·ise
>
> British variant of PENALIZE

Uhh no. Penalize is an AMERICAN variant of penalise. Not the other way
round.

Linonut

Jul 6, 2006, 11:07:00 AM7/6/06
After takin' a swig o' grog, spi...@freenet.co.uk belched out this bit o' wisdom:

> Linonut <lin...@bone.com> did eloquently scribble:
>

>>> ----------

>>> helping users, not penalising them.
>>> ----------
>
>> That would be "penilizing", I believe.
>
> Not according to ispell.
> penalising is correct.

You guys have brains that are penile.

--
Press "Any" key to continue.

Colin Day

Jul 6, 2006, 11:04:28 AM7/6/06

"penilizing"? Does that mean ramming a penis into something?

Colin Day

spi...@freenet.co.uk

Jul 6, 2006, 11:56:47 AM7/6/06
Gordon <gordon.bur...@gbpcomputing.co.uk.invalid> did eloquently scribble:

> High Plains Thumper wrote:
>>

>> Per _Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary_
>>
>> penalise
>>
>> One entry found for penalise.
>> Main Entry: pe?nal?ise
>>
>> British variant of PENALIZE

> Uhh no. Penalize is an AMERICAN variant of penalise. Not the other way
> round.

We brits don't overuse the letter Z. (that's pronounced Zed btw)

Gordon

Jul 6, 2006, 11:54:15 AM7/6/06
spi...@freenet.co.uk wrote:

> Gordon <gordon.bur...@gbpcomputing.co.uk.invalid> did eloquently
> scribble:
>> High Plains Thumper wrote:
>>>

>>> Per _Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary_
>>>
>>> penalise
>>>
>>> One entry found for penalise.
>>> Main Entry: pe?nal?ise
>>>
>>> British variant of PENALIZE
>
>> Uhh no. Penalize is an AMERICAN variant of penalise. Not the other way
>> round.
>
> We brits don't overuse the letter Z. (that's pronounced Zed btw)

I know! I was just showing the origin!

[H]omer

Jul 6, 2006, 12:16:05 PM7/6/06

Whoosh - right over the top of their heads, Linonut.

Nobody else got this apparently.

That would be "penile" as in "like a penis".

And no, the word "penilizing" (as in "to make into a penis") does not
exist, but if it did, then the proper English form (much like
"penalizing") would be spelled with a "z", according to Oxford, with
the "s" variant being predominantly American in origin.

--
K.
http://slated.org - Slated, Rated & Blogged

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.16-1.2133_FC5
17:14:06 up 18 days, 17:30, 2 users, load average: 0.14, 0.38, 0.43

[H]omer

Jul 6, 2006, 1:13:01 PM7/6/06
[H]omer wrote:

> And no, the word "penilizing" (as in "to make into a penis") does
> not exist, but if it did, then the proper English form (much like
> "penalizing") would be spelled with a "z", according to Oxford, with
> the "s" variant being predominantly American in origin.

Oops, Freudian slooop. That should be "spelled with a "s", according
to Oxford, with the "z" variant being predominantly American".

--
K.
http://slated.org - Slated, Rated & Blogged

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.16-1.2133_FC5

18:11:09 up 18 days, 18:27, 2 users, load average: 1.35, 0.63, 0.43

spi...@freenet.co.uk

Jul 6, 2006, 2:04:15 PM7/6/06
[H]omer <sp...@uce.gov> did eloquently scribble:

> [H]omer wrote:

>> And no, the word "penilizing" (as in "to make into a penis") does
>> not exist, but if it did, then the proper English form (much like
>> "penalizing") would be spelled with a "z", according to Oxford, with
>> the "s" variant being predominantly American in origin.

> Oops, Freudian slooop. That should be "spelled with a "s", according
> to Oxford, with the "z" variant being predominantly American".

Thought it would be. We hardly use the Z in that way at all...

Linonut

Jul 6, 2006, 2:13:24 PM7/6/06
After takin' a swig o' grog, Colin Day belched out this bit o' wisdom:

>> That would be "penilizing", I believe.
>
> "penilizing"? Does that mean ramming a penis into something?

Old U.S. rock tune:

http://lyricsplayground.com/alpha/songs/b/backfieldinmotion.shtml

BACKFIELD IN MOTION
Mel & Tim - 1969

Backfield in motion, yeah,
I'm gonna have to penalize you
Backfield in motion, baby,
You know that's against the rules.

I always wondered how they slipped that one past the censors.

Here's another one that got away:

http://home.att.net/~bubblegumusic/songyummy.htm

Yummy, Yummy, Yummy
By: Ohio Express
(Arthur Resnick - Joey Levine)
Lead Singer: Joey Levine
1968

Yummy, Yummy, Yummy, I got love in my tummy
And I feel like a-lovin you
Love, you're such a sweet thing
Good enough to eat thing
And it's just a-what I'm gonna do

Apt sig, too.

High Plains Thumper

Jul 6, 2006, 3:11:13 PM7/6/06
Gordon wrote:
> spi...@freenet.co.uk wrote:
>> Gordon did eloquently scribble:

>>> Uhh no. Penalize is an AMERICAN variant of penalise. Not
>>> the other way round.
>>
>> We brits don't overuse the letter Z. (that's pronounced
>> Zed btw)
>
> I know! I was just showing the origin!

Merriam-Webster is a colonial site.

--
HPT

High Plains Thumper

Jul 6, 2006, 3:13:02 PM7/6/06

Example?

--
HPT

spi...@freenet.co.uk

Jul 6, 2006, 3:19:06 PM7/6/06
High Plains Thumper <h...@singlecylinderbikes.com> did eloquently scribble:

> Example?

Well, no-one's managed to port it to the sinclair ZX spectrum yet
:)
| spi...@freenet.co.uk | Windows95 (noun): 32 bit extensions and a |

The Ghost In The Machine

Jul 6, 2006, 6:00:02 PM7/6/06
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, spi...@freenet.co.uk
<spi...@freenet.co.uk>
wrote
on Thu, 06 Jul 2006 19:19:06 GMT
<pi40o3...@ridcully.fsnet.co.uk>:

> High Plains Thumper <h...@singlecylinderbikes.com> did eloquently scribble:
>

>> Paul wrote:
>>> High Plains Thumper wrote:
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> *Only* just in some cases.
>
>> Example?
>
> Well, no-one's managed to port it to the sinclair ZX spectrum yet
>:)

And some absolutely daft boffin ("mad scientist" on our
side of the pond) would want to do this exactly why? ;-)

#191, ewi...@earthlink.net
Windows Vista. Because it's time to refresh your hardware. Trust us.

spi...@freenet.co.uk

Jul 6, 2006, 6:13:00 PM7/6/06
The Ghost In The Machine <ew...@sirius.tg00suus7038.net> did eloquently scribble:

>> Well, no-one's managed to port it to the sinclair ZX spectrum yet
>>:)

> And some absolutely daft boffin ("mad scientist" on our
> side of the pond) would want to do this exactly why? ;-)

Because it's there?
:)
| spi...@freenet.co.uk | |

Sinister Midget

Jul 6, 2006, 9:57:31 PM7/6/06
On 2006-07-06, spi...@freenet.co.uk <spi...@freenet.co.uk> posted something concerning:

> Linonut <lin...@bone.com> did eloquently scribble:
>

>> After takin' a swig o' grog, nes...@wigner.berkeley.edu belched out this bit o' wisdom:
>
>>> Quote:
>>> ----------
>>> Changes made last week to Microsoft's Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA)
>>> licence management program have caused mixed feelings among users but
>>> the company has insisted its licensing strategy is mainly aimed at
>>> helping users, not penalising them.
>>> ----------
>
>> That would be "penilizing", I believe.
>
> Not according to ispell.
> penalising is correct.

I believe it was a deliberate play of spelling:

PENALize (like in a penal colony)
PENILize (like in a penile transplant)

I *could* be wrong.

--
Sarsnan: Innovative Microsoft peer-to-peer software.

Sinister Midget

Jul 6, 2006, 9:57:31 PM7/6/06
On 2006-07-06, Gordon <gordon.bur...@gbpcomputing.co.uk.invalid> posted something concerning:

> High Plains Thumper wrote:
>

>> Per _Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary_
>>
>> penalise
>>
>> One entry found for penalise.
>> Main Entry: pe搖al搏se

>> British variant of PENALIZE
>
> Uhh no. Penalize is an AMERICAN variant of penalise. Not the other way
> round.

I think it depends on who is writing the dictionary, and who they'd
like to sell it to.

--
The brain of the average IE user. Divide by five for Outlook.
/

Mark Kent

Jul 7, 2006, 5:29:23 PM7/7/06
begin oe_protect.scr
High Plains Thumper <h...@singlecylinderbikes.com> espoused:

true, but doesn't excuse poor perspective :-)

Hope is a good breakfast, but it is a bad supper.
-- Francis Bacon

High Plains Thumper

Jul 7, 2006, 7:58:56 PM7/7/06
Mark Kent wrote:
> High Plains Thumper espoused:
>> Gordon wrote:

>>> I know! I was just showing the origin!
>>
>> Merriam-Webster is a colonial site.
>
> true, but doesn't excuse poor perspective :-)

Did it ever occur as with a bit of colonial arrogance, why
their sites are not appended with ".us"?

--
HPT

Mark Kent

Jul 8, 2006, 3:44:56 AM7/8/06
begin oe_protect.scr
High Plains Thumper <h...@singlecylinderbikes.com> espoused:

Ah, no, they're just jealous that our stamps don't have "Great Britain"
written on them... :-)

More people are flattered into virtue than bullied out of vice.
-- R.S. Surtees

High Plains Thumper

Jul 14, 2006, 8:10:52 AM7/14/06
spike1 wrote:
> High Plains Thumper did scribble:
>> Paul wrote:
>>> High Plains Thumper wrote:
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> *Only* just in some cases.
>
>> Example?
>
> Well, no-one's managed to port it to the sinclair ZX
> spectrum yet
> :)

Amiga would have been a worthy candidate for a port of Linux,
but according to this website:

http://www.jaapan.de/en/zx81.php?page=vsamiga

the Sinclair ZX81 was clearly superior. :)

--
HPT