No more Asus Eee PCs

Chris Ahlstrom

Nov 14, 2008, 4:59:59 PM11/14/08
Stopped in at Target today, and checked out the Asus display. The two
display models were there, but no boxes.

Looks like somebody wants 'em.

I'm assuming they weren't stolen <grin>.

Say, a poem about amicus in the sig!

--
When you're a Yup/ You're a Yup all the way/
From your first slice of Brie/ To your last Cabernet./

Terry Porter

Nov 14, 2008, 6:44:46 PM11/14/08
On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 16:59:59 -0500, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> Stopped in at Target today, and checked out the Asus display. The two
> display models were there, but no boxes.
>
> Looks like somebody wants 'em.
>
> I'm assuming they weren't stolen <grin>.
>
> Say, a poem about amicus in the sig!

Amicus argues well, and is very polite, a most refreshing change from
other Wintrolls, (and very Flatfish like), but he has been in the Windows
Matrix too long.

His mind can't be freed, and he seems unable to even comprehend the Linux
Netbook tsunami that's come crashing down around him.

indeed listen to. Trolls are not among those people, as trolls, more or
Kelsey Bjarnason, C.O.L.A. 2008

Peter Köhlmann

Nov 14, 2008, 6:49:17 PM11/14/08
Terry Porter wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 16:59:59 -0500, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>
>> Stopped in at Target today, and checked out the Asus display. The two
>> display models were there, but no boxes.
>>
>> Looks like somebody wants 'em.
>>
>> I'm assuming they weren't stolen <grin>.
>>
>> Say, a poem about amicus in the sig!
>
> Amicus argues well, and is very polite,

*Seemingly* polite. In reality, he is extremely dishonest in his arguing,
and being dishonest is about the worst thing you can actually do when
arguing. It is tantamount to being very impolite

Bill Weisgerber is even worse than Erik Funkenbusch
--
Another name for a Windows tutorial is crash course

Roy Schestowitz

Nov 14, 2008, 7:19:00 PM11/14/08

____/ Peter Köhlmann on Friday 14 November 2008 23:49 : \____

Even Microsoft Munchkins have standards to follow..

As Microsoft puts it < http://www.groklaw.net/pdf/Comes-3096.pdf >
(Slide on PDF page 125):

"Channel of Information"
"On-line Forums"

[1] "Monitor the relevant Usenet groups at all times"
[2] "Write well"
[3] "Be exceedingly formal and polite"
[3a] "- It is very easy to give offense"
[3b] "- Always assume that you are wrong; ask others to explain
it to you"
[3c] "- Developers are impressed by clear, precise, polite
communication"
[4] "Don't sound like a prig"
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

So they can be arrogant liars, yet only /SEEM/ polite.

Also see:

Slide on PDF page 45:

"/Mopping up/. During the mopping-up phase, ensure that the
enemy technology is routed. Use the press, the Internet, etc. to
heighten the impression that the enemy is desperate, demoralized,
defeated, deceased."

Text page on PDF page 55:

"/11: Mopping up/"

"Mopping Up can be a lot of fun. In the Mopping Up phase,
Evangelism's goal is to put the final nail into the competing
technology's coffin, and bury it in the burning depths of the
earth. Ideally, use of the competing technology becomes
associated with mental deficiency, as in, "he believes in Santa
Claus, the Easter Bunny, and OS/2." Just keep rubbing it in, via
the press, analysts, newsgroups, whatever. make the complete
failure of the competition's technology part of the mythology of
the computer industry. We want to place selection pressure on
the companies and individuals that show a genetic weakness for
competitor's technologies, to make the industry increasingly
resistant to such unhealthy strains, over time."

Slide on PDF page 43:

"All is not Fair"

"o We are under close scrutiny"
" - Any unethical acts WILL BE uncovered"
"o Besides - we're the good guys!"
"o Simple rule to live by: _Never Lie_"
" - Tell the truth, and nothing but the truth"
" - Be selective in which truths you emphasize"
" - Let the competition fill in the gaps"

- --
~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz | Free 3-D Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
Cpu(s): 22.6%us, 5.0%sy, 0.1%ni, 70.6%id, 1.3%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.4%si, 0.0%st

High Plains Thumper

Nov 14, 2008, 9:32:32 PM11/14/08
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> Peter Köhlmann on Friday:

>> Terry Porter wrote:

>>> Amicus argues well, and is very polite,
>>
>> *Seemingly* polite. In reality, he is extremely dishonest in
>> his arguing, and being dishonest is about the worst thing
>> you can actually do when arguing. It is tantamount to being
>> very impolite
>>
>> Bill Weisgerber is even worse than Erik Funkenbusch

He exercises ad hominem rants, attacking the poster rather than
addressing the issues in an intelligent discussion.

> Even Microsoft Munchkins have standards to follow..
>
> As Microsoft puts it <
> http://www.groklaw.net/pdf/Comes-3096.pdf > (Slide on PDF page
> 125):
>
> "Channel of Information" "On-line Forums"
>
> [1] "Monitor the relevant Usenet groups at all times"
> [2] "Write well"
> [3] "Be exceedingly formal and polite"
> [3a] "- It is very easy to give offense"
> [3b] "- Always assume that you are wrong; ask others to
> explain it to you"
> [3c] "- Developers are impressed by clear, precise, polite
> communication"
> [4] "Don't sound like a prig"
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That eliminates, Hadron, DFS, Ezekiel, amicus_curious, Tim Smith,
clogwog (Rick Mathers) and flatfish.

Yup.

> "o Besides - we're the good guys!"
> "o Simple rule to live by: _Never Lie_"
> " - Tell the truth, and nothing but the truth"
> " - Be selective in which truths you emphasize"
> " - Let the competition fill in the gaps"

That eliminates all of the trolls.

--
HPT
Quando omni flunkus moritati

amicus_curious

Nov 15, 2008, 2:00:23 PM11/15/08

"High Plains Thumper" <highplai...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

> That eliminates, Hadron, DFS, Ezekiel, amicus_curious, Tim Smith, clogwog
> (Rick Mathers) and flatfish.

Well is that an admission that you agree that none of us are in the pay of
Microsoft? Wonderful, that is a step in the right direction. Perhaps you
can convince your allies here.

Having come to that conclusion, then, what alternate motivations can you
attibute to us to explain our failure to agree with the Linux/OSS
philosophies?

amicus_curious

Nov 15, 2008, 2:04:14 PM11/15/08

"Peter Köhlmann" <peter.k...@arcor.de> wrote in message

> *Seemingly* polite. In reality, he is extremely dishonest in his arguing,
> and being dishonest is about the worst thing you can actually do when
> arguing. It is tantamount to being very impolite

You use the term "dishonest" in this context a lot, I have noticed. I do
not see what you mean, though. Can you point to an example of some
statement I have made and explain what there is about it that you consider
to be "dishonest"?

amicus_curious

Nov 15, 2008, 2:05:28 PM11/15/08

"Chris Ahlstrom" <lin...@bollsouth.nut> wrote in message

amicus_curious

Nov 15, 2008, 2:14:58 PM11/15/08

"Chris Ahlstrom" <lin...@bollsouth.nut> wrote in message
> Stopped in at Target today, and checked out the Asus display. The two
> display models were there, but no boxes.
>
> Looks like somebody wants 'em.

Or perhaps Target is not willing to commit very much inventory to them.

If you look at the Target website under notebooks, they don't seem to
feature the Linux models:

http://www.target.com/Computer-Office-Electronics/b/ref=nav_t_spc_10_17/188-5449981-6555947?ie=UTF8&node=1042126

You can find them on the Target web site, but you have to search. I think
the old philosophy of the discounters is still in vogue at Target as it is
at Costco and Sam's Club. "Heavy on the best and to hell with the rest!"
seems to be the byword. With a declining share of the business, the shelf
space reserved for Linux models is surely in jeopardy.

> I'm assuming they weren't stolen <grin>.

More likely part of a close out sale.

> Say, a poem about amicus in the sig!
>
> --
> When you're a Yup/ You're a Yup all the way/
> From your first slice of Brie/ To your last Cabernet./
> When you're a Yup/ You're not just a dreamer/
> You're making things happen/ You're driving a Beamer./

Far from that. Your ability to profile is subpar. Swiss, Pinot Grigio, and
a Lincoln MKX in my case.

JEDIDIAH

Nov 15, 2008, 3:22:40 PM11/15/08
On 2008-11-15, amicus_curious <AC...@sti.net> wrote:

> "Chris Ahlstrom" <lin...@bollsouth.nut> wrote in message
>> Stopped in at Target today, and checked out the Asus display. The two
>> display models were there, but no boxes.
>>
>> Looks like somebody wants 'em.
>>
> Or perhaps Target is not willing to commit very much inventory to them.

...the last time I was in my local Target, there was an entire end
cap dedicated to them.

> If you look at the Target website under notebooks, they don't seem to
> feature the Linux models:
>
> http://www.target.com/Computer-Office-Electronics/b/ref=nav_t_spc_10_17/188-5449981-6555947?ie=UTF8&node=1042126

More Lemming dishonesty.

> You can find them on the Target web site, but you have to search. I think

Why wouldn't you search for exactly what you want rather than spending
the time to browse?

Although if you browse by notebooks, you will find a Linux model on
the second line of the output.

[deletia]

--
iTunes is not progressive. It's a throwback. |||
/ | \

Chris Ahlstrom

Nov 15, 2008, 5:46:00 PM11/15/08
After takin' a swig o' grog, JEDIDIAH belched out
this bit o' wisdom:

> On 2008-11-15, amicus_curious <AC...@sti.net> wrote:
>>
>> "Chris Ahlstrom" <lin...@bollsouth.nut> wrote in message
>>> Stopped in at Target today, and checked out the Asus display. The two
>>> display models were there, but no boxes.
>>>
>>> Looks like somebody wants 'em.
>>>
>> Or perhaps Target is not willing to commit very much inventory to them.
>
> ...the last time I was in my local Target, there was an entire end
> cap dedicated to them.
>

>> If you look at the Target website under notebooks, they don't seem to
>> feature the Linux models:
>>
>> http://www.target.com/Computer-Office-Electronics/b/ref=nav_t_spc_10_17/188-5449981-6555947?ie=UTF8&node=1042126
>
> More Lemming dishonesty.
>

>> You can find them on the Target web site, but you have to search. I think
>
> Why wouldn't you search for exactly what you want rather than spending
> the time to browse?
>
> Although if you browse by notebooks, you will find a Linux model on
> the second line of the output.

Poor amicus is the Little Dutch Boy, sticking his fingers in all the holes
in the dike, but he can't staunch 'em all.

--
Skill without imagination is craftsmanship and gives us many useful objects
such as wickerwork picnic baskets. Imagination without skill gives us modern

amicus_curious

Nov 15, 2008, 5:54:09 PM11/15/08

"JEDIDIAH" <je...@nomad.mishnet> wrote in message

> On 2008-11-15, amicus_curious <AC...@sti.net> wrote:
>>
>> "Chris Ahlstrom" <lin...@bollsouth.nut> wrote in message
>>> Stopped in at Target today, and checked out the Asus display. The two
>>> display models were there, but no boxes.
>>>
>>> Looks like somebody wants 'em.
>>>
>> Or perhaps Target is not willing to commit very much inventory to them.
>
> ...the last time I was in my local Target, there was an entire end
> cap dedicated to them.

How about now. Linonut couldn't find any he says.

>> If you look at the Target website under notebooks, they don't seem to
>> feature the Linux models:
>>
>> http://www.target.com/Computer-Office-Electronics/b/ref=nav_t_spc_10_17/188-5449981-6555947?ie=UTF8&node=1042126
>
> More Lemming dishonesty.
>

>> You can find them on the Target web site, but you have to search. I
>> think
>
> Why wouldn't you search for exactly what you want rather than spending
> the time to browse?

The conventional retail marketing wisdom is that the customer really doesn't
know what they want. Thus the highlighted units are chosen as the ones most
likely to sell. If someone wants a Linux machine, there is no question that
they can get a Linux machine. That has been true for 15 years. But people
still do not know about them and thus there is not much chance that they are
going to search.

> Although if you browse by notebooks, you will find a Linux model on
> the second line of the output.

Rated rather lowly, too. For example:

"A Waste....
Reviewer: ComputerGuy See all my reviews

Bottom Line...don't waste your money. This "computer" is running on hardware
that was "top of the line" in 2002. Now it is out of date. The hard drive is
too small if you are going to have any amount of pictures/music. The
operating system is NOT Microsoft Windows, thus not friendly with most
programs out there. I would advise NOT spending your money here. If you do,
you will regret it. Upgrade to a real computer and make a solid investment.
"

This is not likely to be a hotcake sort of thing.

High Plains Thumper

Nov 15, 2008, 11:49:55 PM11/15/08
amicus_curious wrote:

> High Plains Thumper wrote:
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>> Peter Köhlmann on Friday:

>> He exercises ad hominem rants, attacking the poster rather
>> than addressing the issues in an intelligent discussion.
>>
>>> Even Microsoft Munchkins have standards to follow..
>>>
>>> As Microsoft puts it <
>>> http://www.groklaw.net/pdf/Comes-3096.pdf > (Slide on PDF
>>> page 125):
>>>
>>> "Channel of Information" "On-line Forums" [snip]

>>> [4] "Don't sound like a prig" ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>> That eliminates, Hadron, DFS, Ezekiel, amicus_curious, Tim
>> Smith, clogwog (Rick Mathers) and flatfish.
>
> Well is that an admission that you agree that none of us are
> in the pay of Microsoft? Wonderful, that is a step in the
> right direction. Perhaps you can convince your allies here.

No, they all sound like a prig.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/prig%5B2%5D

[quote]
3: one who offends or irritates by observance of proprieties (as
of speech or manners) in a pointed manner or to an obnoxious degree
[/quote]

> Having come to that conclusion, then, what alternate
> motivations can you attibute to us to explain our failure to
> agree with the Linux/OSS philosophies?

Rather presumptuous. No, this conclusion:

http://tantek.pbwiki.com/TrollTaxonomy

[quote]
However, often ad hominem troll will start its discourse with
seemingly reasonable commentary, perhaps an analogy etc. Using
rational tone, they may lull you into thinking that they are
rational in general and thus their entire message should be
considered rational. Once they have established such an
impression, then they will then descend into personal attacks
which may even sound reasonably worded, until you recognize them
for what they are, nothing more than personal attacks.
[/quote]

High Plains Thumper

Nov 16, 2008, 4:42:48 AM11/16/08
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> Peter Köhlmann on Friday:
>> Terry Porter wrote:

Roy, this document states to tell only the truth, but in reality
it is deception that it preaches. The key is in the statements
of the mopping up section.

In essence it preaches to lie in a manner that gives the
appearance of telling "the truth, the whole truth, and nothing
but the truth".

Thus, this document is the expression of a religious philosophy
that deception is perfectly legitimate and that winning at all
costs without moral scruples is most important.

This well describes the underlying theme of much of the trolling
we see in this newsgroup. We are being assaulted on all fronts.

DFS purposely posts articles that highlight any failure of the
Linux technology, even though most of those articles are not
related to the instability of the software, but other issues
(bona fide hardware problems, improper setting of drivers, lack
of understanding sometimes of the simplest issues, etc.)

This follows the philosophy of "mopping up", "Make the complete

failure of the competition's technology part of the mythology of
the computer industry."

Much of what amicus_curious, Tim Smith, and Erik Funkenbusch says
follow, "Ideally, use of the competing technology becomes

associated with mental deficiency, as in, "he believes in Santa
Claus, the Easter Bunny, and OS/2."

By their selective snippages and highlighting a small portion of
one's or the press's statements, they spin what the truth into a
fabricated, deceptive lie.

clogwog (Rick Mathers), Kadaitcha Man (Rick Mathers) and nyms
attack the advocate to destroy their reputation, AKA "Use the

press, the Internet, etc. to heighten the impression that the

enemy is desperate, demoralized, defeated, deceased." In
attacking the advocate, it adds a barb as a sales pitch for
Microsoft products.

What I find interesting of noe is now is the eve of the product,
Windows 7.

7 is supposedly a lucky number, attributed to God, the ultimate
version that will supersede and obsolete all other versions.
Return of trolls like OK, perpetuation of troll flatfish who is a
known brazen liar manages to return, even though terminated
through LARTS seem to mark the eve.

I think I am seeing a changing of the guards for the moment.
Whereas this corporation had the synergy years ago, that nothing
seemed capable to stop it in its path, even the law (courts), has
become a self fulfilling prophecy.

Now I see that as in the "mopping up", the Linux opposition is
now "desperate, demoralized" and proceeding toward eventual
"defeat" and "decease". There is the vacating of key positions
by top managers, the creation of an unpopular version, Vista,
that few want because its hardware requirements are oppressive,
legacy software is rendered incompatible requiring new
investments in applications, cannot support cost effective
lighter technologies like low powered netbooks, etc.

The tide has turned, it is now time for advocates and proponents
of Linux to do a "mopping up". However, we do not have to be
deceptive. All we need to do is to continue to tell the truth
about how Linux is a benefit over the other operating system
technologies, because it is superior.

Terry's Web Server

Nov 16, 2008, 5:35:56 AM11/16/08
High Plains Thumper wrote:

> The tide has turned, it is now time for advocates and proponents of
> Linux to do a "mopping up". However, we do not have to be deceptive.
> All we need to do is to continue to tell the truth about how Linux is a
> benefit over the other operating system technologies, because it is
> superior.

LOL, they need to get him too and lock him up. This place and the loons
posting in it is something to behold.

A two bit O/S written by human beings is nothing to worship -- man or man.

What is wrong with the people that frequent this NG?

Web server

Roy Schestowitz

Nov 16, 2008, 8:47:35 AM11/16/08

High Plains Thumper

Nov 16, 2008, 9:45:40 AM11/16/08
Terry's Web Server wrote:

> High Plains Thumper wrote:> High Plains Thumper wrote:
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> As Microsoft puts it
>>> < http://www.groklaw.net/pdf/Comes-3096.pdf > [...]

>>> Text page on PDF page 55: "/11: Mopping up/"
>>>
>>> "Mopping Up can be a lot of fun. In the Mopping Up phase,
>>> Evangelism's goal is to put the final nail into the
>>> competing technology's coffin, and bury it in the burning
>>> depths of the earth. Ideally, use of the competing
>>> technology becomes associated with mental deficiency, as
>>> in, "he believes in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and
>>> OS/2." Just keep rubbing it in, via the press, analysts,
>>> newsgroups, whatever. make the complete failure of the
>>> competition's technology part of the mythology of the
>>> computer industry. We want to place selection pressure on
>>> the companies and individuals that show a genetic weakness
>>> for competitor's technologies, to make the industry
>>> increasingly resistant to such unhealthy strains, over
>>> time." [...]

>> In essence it preaches to lie in a manner that gives the
>> appearance of telling "the truth, the whole truth, and
>> nothing but the truth".
>>
>> Thus, this document is the expression of a religious
>> philosophy that deception is perfectly legitimate and that
>> winning at all costs without moral scruples is most
>> important.
>>
>> This well describes the underlying theme of much of the
>> trolling we see in this newsgroup. We are being assaulted
>> on all fronts. [...]

>> By their selective snippages and highlighting a small
>> portion of one's or the press's statements, they spin what
>> the truth into a fabricated, deceptive lie.
>>
>> clogwog (Rick Mathers), Kadaitcha Man (Rick Mathers) and
>> nyms attack the advocate to destroy their reputation, AKA
>> "Use the press, the Internet, etc. to heighten the
>> impression that the enemy is desperate, demoralized,
>> defeated, deceased." In attacking the advocate, it adds a
>> barb as a sales pitch for Microsoft products. [...]

>> Now I see that as in the "mopping up", the Linux opposition
>> is now "desperate, demoralized" and proceeding toward
>> eventual "defeat" and "decease". There is the vacating of
>> key positions by top managers, the creation of an unpopular
>> version, Vista, that few want because its hardware
>> requirements are oppressive, legacy software is rendered
>> incompatible requiring new investments in applications,
>> cannot support cost effective lighter technologies like low
>> powered netbooks, etc.

Bingo! This is an example of just what we were discussing. It is
also an example of an ad hominem attack against the poster and
Linux posting community in this newsgroup:

http://tantek.pbwiki.com/TrollTaxonomy

[quote]
Ad hominem troll

Ad hominem troll at its simplest, will attack people personally,
rather than the merits of their statements or methodologies.

The ad hominem troll often has already lost a rational argument
about a topic, and thus its goal is to change the argument from
being about a topic, to being about the people opposed to the
troll (which could mean any/all rational person(s) in the
discussion), in the hopes of both discrediting people's ideas
indirectly by discrediting the people, and engendering an
emotional reaction from the people by attacking their egos /
self-image. The "getting a reaction out of" goal is common to
most troll types.
[/quote]

> Web server

Not, another example of comment spamming.

Terry's Web Server

Nov 16, 2008, 12:01:17 PM11/16/08
High Plains Thumper wrote:

<snipped>

What? You can't come-up with nothing to defend yourself. You are a weak
man a very weak man that can't go to battle. You were using CP/M stuff
back in the day. Maybe, you're too old and you are a toothless old man.

Terry's Web Server

Nov 16, 2008, 12:15:54 PM11/16/08
High Plains Thumper wrote:

<snipped>

Another thing you loon, MS is not going away as long as MS continues to
provide software development solutions to business developers to develop
business solutions in the corporate environment.

<My comments about the use of this technology in another post I made,
not related to the junk and trash talk that goes on here.>

I mean the ability to call a Web service or a WCF service with Service
Broker using CLR code that's running on SQL server is very good. I am
programming this in a project for a client that's being done at this time.

The ability to have SQL server triggers push things like XML and XML
serialized objects into queues, the Service Broker using CLR to pull
things off the queues, Service Broker using CLR calls a Web service that
has access to the BLL and DAL layers and then in turn it send things off
to other SQL server queues. It's like using MSMQ. It's like using WCF
with end-points and everything, but it's on SQL Server.

Other processes like a Console or Windows service application running on
the back-end working with the MS SQL server queues is something I didn't
know that could be done, until two weeks ago.

It's fabulous stuff.

http://www.devsource.com/c/a/Using-VS/Introducing-SQL-Server-2005s-CLR-Integration/

Hadron

Nov 16, 2008, 12:36:14 PM11/16/08

You lost High Plains Hypocrite when you used the phrase "software
development". He thinks l337 usage is opening a command shell and typing
"ls".

amicus_curious

Nov 16, 2008, 11:27:35 AM11/16/08

>> Well is that an admission that you agree that none of us are
>> in the pay of Microsoft? Wonderful, that is a step in the
>> right direction. Perhaps you can convince your allies here.
>
> No, they all sound like a prig.

That is a terrible thing to say about your allies! I would expect you
sillies to be more supportive of one another! I will have to admit that you
are correct, though. But you could give it a try.

>> Having come to that conclusion, then, what alternate
>> motivations can you attibute to us to explain our failure to
>> agree with the Linux/OSS philosophies?
>
> Rather presumptuous. No, this conclusion:
>
> http://tantek.pbwiki.com/TrollTaxonomy
>
> [quote]
> However, often ad hominem troll will start its discourse with seemingly
> reasonable commentary, perhaps an analogy etc. Using rational tone, they
> may lull you into thinking that they are rational in general and thus
> their entire message should be considered rational. Once they have
> established such an impression, then they will then descend into personal
> attacks which may even sound reasonably worded, until you recognize them
> for what they are, nothing more than personal attacks.
> [/quote]

Is amateur psychology the fate of the amateur software user? Consider that
you are sort of stuck in a rut lately and becoming very trite and ordinary.
You need to give that one a rest.

amicus_curious

Nov 16, 2008, 11:38:34 AM11/16/08

"Terry's Web Server" <Ter...@Webserver.com> wrote in message
An inferiority complex brought about by a lack of recognition. They cannot
rise to acceptable heights above the mainstream, so they choose to be
contrarians, swimming against the flow, and thus more noticeable. The
downside of that is that most mainstream folk perceive such behavior as
abnormal rather than as the intended super-normal held in the mind of the
OSS/Linux advocate. They have a notion of superiority well fixed in their
self image and so anyone opposed must be "threatened" by their righteous
actions. The only rational explanation of why anyone should be opposed to
their belief is that their detractors are in the pay of the evil forces who
want to force everyone to use substandard software. That is mostly
Microsoft where Bill Gates once and Steve Ballmer now provide a well-known
face and focus for their complaints.

High Plains Thumper

Nov 17, 2008, 12:13:17 AM11/17/08
amicus_curious wrote:
> Terry's Web Server wrote...

>> High Plains Thumper wrote:

>>> In essence it preaches to lie in a manner that gives the
>>> appearance of telling "the truth, the whole truth, and
>>> nothing but the truth".
>>>
>>> Thus, this document is the expression of a religious
>>> philosophy that deception is perfectly legitimate and that
>>> winning at all costs without moral scruples is most
>>> important.
>>>
>>> This well describes the underlying theme of much of the
>>> trolling we see in this newsgroup. We are being assaulted
>>> on all fronts. [...]

>>> Much of what amicus_curious, Tim Smith, and Erik
>>> Funkenbusch says follow, "Ideally, use of the competing
>>> technology becomes associated with mental deficiency, as
>>> in, "he believes in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and
>>> OS/2."
>>>
>>> By their selective snippages and highlighting a small
>>> portion of one's or the press's statements, they spin what
>>> the truth into a fabricated, deceptive lie. [...]

>>> Now I see that as in the "mopping up", the Linux
>>> opposition is now "desperate, demoralized" and proceeding
>>> toward eventual "defeat" and "decease". There is the
>>> vacating of key positions by top managers, the creation of
>>> an unpopular version, Vista, that few want because its
>>> hardware requirements are oppressive, legacy software is
>>> rendered incompatible requiring new investments in
>>> applications, cannot support cost effective lighter
>>> technologies like low powered netbooks, etc.

These two replies are examples of ad hominem attacks, attacking
the poster rather than participating in the discussion.

http://tantek.pbwiki.com/TrollTaxonomy

[quote]
Ad hominem troll

Ad hominem troll at its simplest, will attack people personally,
rather than the merits of their statements or methodologies.

The ad hominem troll often has already lost a rational argument
about a topic, and thus its goal is to change the argument from
being about a topic, to being about the people opposed to the
troll (which could mean any/all rational person(s) in the
discussion), in the hopes of both discrediting people's ideas
indirectly by discrediting the people, and engendering an
emotional reaction from the people by attacking their egos /
self-image. The "getting a reaction out of" goal is common to
most troll types.
[/quote]

High Plains Thumper

Nov 17, 2008, 12:24:51 AM11/17/08
>>> Well is that an admission that you agree that none of us
>>> are in the pay of Microsoft? Wonderful, that is a step in
>>> the right direction. Perhaps you can convince your allies
>>> here.
>>
>> No, they all sound like a prig.
>>
>> http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/prig%5B2%5D
>>
>> [quote] 3: one who offends or irritates by observance of
>> proprieties (as of speech or manners) in a pointed manner or
>> to an obnoxious degree [/quote]
>
> That is a terrible thing to say about your allies! I would
> expect you sillies to be more supportive of one another! I
> will have to admit that you are correct, though. But you
> could give it a try.

Bingo! Prig: [quote] 3: one who offends or irritates by

observance of proprieties (as of speech or manners) in a pointed
manner or to an obnoxious degree [/quote]

>>> Having come to that conclusion, then, what alternate

>>> motivations can you attibute to us to explain our failure
>>> to agree with the Linux/OSS philosophies?
>>
>> Rather presumptuous. No, this conclusion:
>>
>> http://tantek.pbwiki.com/TrollTaxonomy
>>
>> [quote] However, often ad hominem troll will start its
>> discourse with seemingly reasonable commentary, perhaps an
>> analogy etc. Using rational tone, they may lull you into
>> thinking that they are rational in general and thus their
>> entire message should be considered rational. Once they have
>> established such an impression, then they will then descend
>> into personal attacks which may even sound reasonably
>> worded, until you recognize them for what they are, nothing
>> more than personal attacks. [/quote]
>>
> Is amateur psychology the fate of the amateur software user?
> Consider that you are sort of stuck in a rut lately and
> becoming very trite and ordinary. You need to give that one a
> rest.

TrollTaxonomy continued:

[quote]
Example: thacker. thacker starts by ignoring the previous comment
(which itself was a rational challenge to thacker's earlier
statements), repeating himself (see the section below on
Repeating themselves), then moves onto an analogy. Afterwards he
continues with personal attacks, starting subtly worded, then
increasingly harsh:

* "some here, yourself included, will not see nor understand
the parallels"
* "Your noses are simply buried too deeply into the
proverbial bark."
* "Or you lack the courage, will, ability to step away and
ask the truly difficult questions. That is a shame."

High Plains Thumper

Nov 17, 2008, 12:48:30 AM11/17/08
Hadron wrote:

> Terry's Web Server writes:
>> High Plains Thumper wrote:
>> <snipped> [ignored]

>> Another thing you loon, MS is not going away as long as MS
>> continues to provide software development solutions to
>> business developers to develop business solutions in the
>> corporate environment.
>>
>> <My comments about the use of this technology in another
>> post I made, not related to the junk and trash talk that
>> goes on here.>

[quote]
1.4 The Charter of comp.os.linux.advocacy

The charter of comp.os.linux.advocacy is:

For discussion of the benefits of Linux compared to other
operating systems.

That single sentence is the one and only charter of the
newsgroup comp.os.linux.advocacy. The newsgroup's charter is for
the newsgroup as a place for supporters of Linux to gather to
discuss Linux, for the betterment of the Linux community and the
promotion and development of Linux. It supports this as a place
for those who would like to learn more about Linux to come to
learn from those who know Linux. It does not call for it to be a
place where the anti-Linux propagandists to gather in order to
discredit Linux.
[/quote]

http://tinyurl.com/5fyhev

Hadron wrote:
> It IS because of him and two other useless people in
> particular (CBFalconer and Harold "old school" Stevens
> (probably both Willy nyms) that I started to drift from the
> Ubuntu fan boy zone.

"I got my ass kicked up around my shoulders in AOLU, so in a lame
attempt to hide the ass-kicking I received and deserved, I puffed
out my hollow chest, chortled 'victory' and acted like I walked
away from the group."

High Plains Thumper

Nov 17, 2008, 6:39:11 AM11/17/08
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> High Plains Thumper on Sunday:
>> What I find interesting of note is now is the eve of the

For one, there is more to meet that eye than the Evangelism
document shows. IIRC, there were about two dozen slides that
were complete black, unreadable. It would have been interesting
to see what those said. Also,

[quote]

The point being that Microsoft recognized that my presentations
on evangelism theory, strategy, and tactics — of which only one
has been entered into the public record, the others still being
massively confidential — were, in fact, the best embodiment of
Microsoft’s evangelism “policy” that existed at the time. Else,
they would have used some other materials and presenter for
new-evangelist training, would they not?

[/quote]

It would be interesting to see what those presentations were.

Here, he points out something interesting on his statement on
"Never lie; always tell the truth":

[quote]
The “first-date” analogy was puerile, stupid, and wrong. In one
of the other training presentations, I emphasize that the first
rule of evangelism is, simply, “Never lie; always tell the truth”
— a point contradicted by my stupid “first-date” ramblings. I was
usually slated as the “after lunch” speaker because I was
recognized for my ability to wake up a sleepy audience — and in
my search for spicy, vivid, exciting analogies, I went too far,
for which I am truly sorry.

Fair enough?
[/quote]

It is explained as contradictory to the rest of his presentation.
This is an indication that what is stated, should not be
literally taken, which is my point. It is okay to lie as long as
it is made to appear as the truth, which is deception.

> This type of stuff should be presented to the European
> Commission and be used to make a permanent embargo.

Indeed. Perhaps you could place a bug in the ears of your FOSS
colleagues?

chrisv

Nov 17, 2008, 8:51:34 AM11/17/08
Peter Köhlmann wrote:

>Terry Porter wrote:
>>
>> Amicus argues well, and is very polite,
>
>*Seemingly* polite. In reality, he is extremely dishonest in his arguing,
>and being dishonest is about the worst thing you can actually do when
>arguing. It is tantamount to being very impolite
>
>Bill Weisgerber is even worse than Erik Funkenbusch

Exactly. Rat is a pathological liar, and an insulting POS. "Polite"
my ass.

--
"There is no valid reason to create a seperate partition for user
data." - Erik Funkenbusch

amicus_curious

Nov 17, 2008, 8:58:35 AM11/17/08

> amicus_curious wrote:
>> Terry's Web Server wrote...
>>>
>>> What is wrong with the people that frequent this NG?
>>
>> An inferiority complex brought about by a lack of recognition.
>> They cannot rise to acceptable heights above the mainstream,
>> so they choose to be contrarians, swimming against the flow,
>> and thus more noticeable. The downside of that is that most
>> mainstream folk perceive such behavior as abnormal rather than
>> as the intended super-normal held in the mind of the OSS/Linux
>> advocate. They have a notion of superiority well fixed in their self
>> image and so anyone opposed must be "threatened" by
>> their righteous actions. The only rational explanation of why
>> anyone should be opposed to their belief is that their
>> detractors are in the pay of the evil forces who want to force
>> everyone to use substandard software. That is mostly Microsoft
>> where Bill Gates once and Steve Ballmer now provide a
>> well-known face and focus for their complaints.
>
> These two replies are examples of ad hominem attacks, attacking the poster
> rather than participating in the discussion.

Clearly you are misapplying the definition of ad hominem to this post. The
original poster asked about the mind set of the pro-OSS/Linux posters here
and I provided the correct answer. That is not attacking the poster in any
way, shape, or form. It is, rather, and incisive summary of why the
pro-OSS/Linux posters continue to struggle against the obvious market
superiority of the mainstream products.

My reply here is a fully on-track response to your mistaken assertion as
well. Had I pointed out, instead, that you were being a bore with your
frequent and repetitious posting of the nonsense that you have apparently
recently come across regarding ad hominem, that would be an ad hominem
attack. One would hope that you have an understanding of Linux that is
better than your understanding of English!

Hadron

Nov 17, 2008, 9:06:38 AM11/17/08
"amicus_curious" <AC...@sti.net> writes:

In fairness to High Plains Hypocrite he is either Chinese of Dutch. But
he appears to talk Double Dutch. But you are right about one thing : any
language he speaks would be superior to his knowledge of Linux.

chrisv

Nov 17, 2008, 9:57:33 AM11/17/08
Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> Poor amicus is the Little Dutch Boy, sticking his fingers in all the holes
> in the dike,

More like the little fsckwit boy, sticking his head up his ass.

JEDIDIAH

Nov 17, 2008, 9:44:59 AM11/17/08
On 2008-11-15, amicus_curious <AC...@sti.net> wrote:

> "JEDIDIAH" <je...@nomad.mishnet> wrote in message
>> On 2008-11-15, amicus_curious <AC...@sti.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> "Chris Ahlstrom" <lin...@bollsouth.nut> wrote in message

>>> Or perhaps Target is not willing to commit very much inventory to them.
>>
>> ...the last time I was in my local Target, there was an entire end
>> cap dedicated to them.
>>
> How about now. Linonut couldn't find any he says.
>

>>> If you look at the Target website under notebooks, they don't seem to
>>> feature the Linux models:
>>>
>>> http://www.target.com/Computer-Office-Electronics/b/ref=nav_t_spc_10_17/188-5449981-6555947?ie=UTF8&node=1042126
>>
>> More Lemming dishonesty.
[deletia]

>> Although if you browse by notebooks, you will find a Linux model on
>> the second line of the output.
>>
> Rated rather lowly, too. For example:

...which isn't the the point.

You were lying again.

--
Nothing quite gives you an understanding of Oracle's |||
continued popularity as does an attempt to do some / | \

Chris Ahlstrom

Nov 17, 2008, 10:35:08 AM11/17/08
After takin' a swig o' grog, amicus_curious belched out
this bit o' wisdom:

> "JEDIDIAH" <je...@nomad.mishnet> wrote in message

>>> Or perhaps Target is not willing to commit very much inventory to them.
>>
>> ...the last time I was in my local Target, there was an entire end
>> cap dedicated to them.
>>
> How about now. Linonut couldn't find any he says.

True. Why? They obviously sold out, moron.

> This is not likely to be a hotcake sort of thing.

Except it is.

http://blog.laptopmag.com/asus-ceo-reveals-eee-pc-sales-numbers-plans-for-touch-eee-pcs-and-more-eee-family-products

Four million Eee PCs have been sold to date. He plans to reach the goal
of 5 million Eee PC sales by the end of 2008.

Stick to sophistry, shamicus. Facts aren't your forte.

--
Texas law forbids anyone to have a pair of pliers in his possession.

Chris Ahlstrom

Nov 17, 2008, 10:35:31 AM11/17/08
After takin' a swig o' grog, chrisv belched out
this bit o' wisdom:

> Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

I'm surprised no one has come up with the obvious pun!

--
Real programmers don't draw flowcharts. Flowcharts are, after all, the
illiterate's form of documentation. Cavemen drew flowcharts; look how

amicus_curious

Nov 17, 2008, 12:43:36 PM11/17/08

> You were lying again.

Quit being such a drudge! I say that Target is not featuring Linux machines
at their top level of promotion. You want to quibble about which page Linux
is found upon. You are in denial, I think.

I noticed that your link contains a "best sellers" section that only shows
XP models, too.

Linux is, once again, featured as the low-end of the good-better-best sort
of retail sales presentation triad. You mistakenly applaud that as a
triumph for the once totally ignored Linux, but it is Phyrric victory in
that it firmly fixes Linux in the minds of buyers as a low ender. "Losers
buy Linux in order to get by cheap!" is the message being sent.

amicus_curious

Nov 17, 2008, 12:36:49 PM11/17/08

> After takin' a swig o' grog, amicus_curious belched out
> this bit o' wisdom:

>>> ...the last time I was in my local Target, there was an entire end
>>> cap dedicated to them.
>>>
>> How about now. Linonut couldn't find any he says.
>
> True. Why? They obviously sold out, moron.

Or closed them out. You seem to have trouble thinking outside the box. Did
they have a stock on hand of the XP model? Regardless of your point of
view, having stock for sale is better than not having any if your aim is to
sell something. Do you think that Target's buyers are so numb that they
cannot predict what will sell and what will not. You are kind of arrogant
there.

>> This is not likely to be a hotcake sort of thing.
>
> Except it is.

My comment was in regard to the Linux model, not the netbook in general.
Pay attention to the user review I cited.

> http://blog.laptopmag.com/asus-ceo-reveals-eee-pc-sales-numbers-plans-for-touch-eee-pcs-and-more-eee-family-products
>
> Four million Eee PCs have been sold to date. He plans to reach the goal
> of 5 million Eee PC sales by the end of 2008.
>
> Stick to sophistry, shamicus. Facts aren't your forte.

Apparently you have a problem with subtle shades of meaning. I will try to
be more explict in the future.

Terry Porter

Nov 17, 2008, 9:14:38 PM11/17/08
On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 07:51:34 -0600, chrisv wrote:

> Peter Köhlmann wrote:
>
>>Terry Porter wrote:
>>>
>>> Amicus argues well, and is very polite,
>>
>>*Seemingly* polite. In reality, he is extremely dishonest in his
>>arguing, and being dishonest is about the worst thing you can actually
>>do when arguing. It is tantamount to being very impolite
>>
>>Bill Weisgerber is even worse than Erik Funkenbusch
>
> Exactly. Rat is a pathological liar, and an insulting POS. "Polite" my
> ass.

Oops, I should have said "and is very polite, with me". Apologies ChrisV
for my overly general remark.

He's kill filed now, because although I can argue with Wintrolls all day
long, I have no time for racists.

indeed listen to. Trolls are not among those people, as trolls, more or
Kelsey Bjarnason, C.O.L.A. 2008

Gregory Shearman

Nov 18, 2008, 2:45:15 AM11/18/08
On 2008-11-17, Chris Ahlstrom <lin...@bollsouth.nut> wrote:
> After takin' a swig o' grog, chrisv belched out
> this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>>
>>> Poor amicus is the Little Dutch Boy, sticking his fingers in all the holes
>>> in the dike,
>>
>> More like the little fsckwit boy, sticking his head up his ass.
>
> I'm surprised no one has come up with the obvious pun!

It's lame. Why are you surprised?

--
Regards,

Gregory.
Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

Chris Ahlstrom

Nov 18, 2008, 7:37:57 AM11/18/08
After takin' a swig o' grog, Gregory Shearman belched out
this bit o' wisdom:

> On 2008-11-17, Chris Ahlstrom <lin...@bollsouth.nut> wrote:
>> After takin' a swig o' grog, chrisv belched out
>> this bit o' wisdom:

>>> More like the little fsckwit boy, sticking his head up his ass.
>>
>> I'm surprised no one has come up with the obvious pun!
>
> It's lame. Why are you surprised?

In my book, Greg, no pun is lame.

In fact, if it pisses Hadron off, I'm all for it.

--
Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious animal on earth.

Sinister Midget

Nov 18, 2008, 7:49:12 AM11/18/08
On 2008-11-18, Terry Porter <lin...@netspace.net.au> claimed:

> On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 07:51:34 -0600, chrisv wrote:
>
>> Peter Köhlmann wrote:

>>>Bill Weisgerber is even worse than Erik Funkenbusch
>>
>> Exactly. Rat is a pathological liar, and an insulting POS. "Polite" my
>> ass.
>
> Oops, I should have said "and is very polite, with me". Apologies ChrisV
> for my overly general remark.
>
> He's kill filed now, because although I can argue with Wintrolls all day
> long, I have no time for racists.

Then you might as well dump DuFuS and Flatso in the filters, too.
Doofie is a KKK Grand Wizard down in Ghaw-gha. I doubt his black
boyfriend is a member, though. Flatface hates, jews, blacks, gays,
Mexicans and other latinos, asians, and probably half or more of
Europe.

Probably oughta filter Quirk at the same time, although I've had Quack
filtered so long I don't know if s/h/it has said anything racist. But I
wouldn't be surprised.

--
There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do
something we'd all love one another.

Hadron

Nov 18, 2008, 8:08:50 AM11/18/08
Sinister Midget <fardb...@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2008-11-18, Terry Porter <lin...@netspace.net.au> claimed:

>>> Exactly. Rat is a pathological liar, and an insulting POS. "Polite" my
>>> ass.
>>
>> Oops, I should have said "and is very polite, with me". Apologies ChrisV
>> for my overly general remark.
>>
>> He's kill filed now, because although I can argue with Wintrolls all day
>> long, I have no time for racists.
>
> Then you might as well dump DuFuS and Flatso in the filters, too.
> Doofie is a KKK Grand Wizard down in Ghaw-gha. I doubt his black
> boyfriend is a member, though. Flatface hates, jews, blacks, gays,
> Mexicans and other latinos, asians, and probably half or more of
> Europe.
>
> Probably oughta filter Quirk at the same time, although I've had Quack
> filtered so long I don't know if s/h/it has said anything racist. But I
> wouldn't be surprised.

You're too stupid to realise how stupid you look with that post! Talk
about double standards! Another COLA hypocrite exposed.

High Plains Thumper

Nov 18, 2008, 9:17:40 AM11/18/08
Hadron wrote:

> "amicus_curious" writes:
>> High Plains Thumper wrote:

>>> These two replies are examples of ad hominem attacks,
>>> attacking the poster rather than participating in the
>>> discussion.
>>>
>>> http://tantek.pbwiki.com/TrollTaxonomy
>>>
>>> [quote] Ad hominem troll
>>>
>>> Ad hominem troll at its simplest, will attack people
>>> personally, rather than the merits of their statements or
>>> methodologies.
>>>
>>> The ad hominem troll often has already lost a rational
>>> argument about a topic, and thus its goal is to change the
>>> argument from being about a topic, to being about the
>>> people opposed to the troll (which could mean any/all
>>> rational person(s) in the discussion), in the hopes of
>>> both discrediting people's ideas indirectly by
>>> discrediting the people, and engendering an emotional
>>> reaction from the people by attacking their egos /
>>> self-image. The "getting a reaction out of" goal is common
>>> to most troll types. [/quote]
>>
>> Clearly you are misapplying the definition of ad hominem to
>> this post.

The above is an example of:

[quote]
7.6 Trespasser Disinformation Tactic

24. Ignore dictionaries when they don't support you. Rage
against the use of dictionaries or other such documents, their
use can only hurt you and expose your ignorance.
[/quote]

>> The original poster asked about the mind set of the
>> pro-OSS/Linux posters here and I provided the correct
>> answer.

Original post:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/4d101711b8f8f181

From: Chris Ahlstrom <lino...@bollsouth.nut>
Subject: No more Asus Eee PCs

[quote]

Looks like somebody wants 'em.

I'm assuming they weren't stolen <grin>.
[/quote]

Above reply about a correct answer is an example of:

[quote]
17. Don't substantiate your claims. Refuse to present
evidence to support your invalid claims. Repeat your invalid
claims and have your anti-Linux propagandist comrades do the
same. Do the same for any invalid claims that you have notice
your anti-Linux propagandists comrades make.
[/quote]

>> That is not attacking the poster in any way, shape, or form.
>> It is, rather, and incisive summary of why the pro-OSS/Linux
>> posters continue to struggle against the obvious market
>> superiority of the mainstream products.

and

[quote]
49. Restate the issues to support your preconceptions. If the
issues being discussed in a thread are not exploitable by you for
your purpose, restate the issues to support your ability to
attack Linux Advocate opponent.
[/quote]

>> My reply here is a fully on-track response to your mistaken
>> assertion as well. Had I pointed out, instead, that you
>> were being a bore with your frequent and repetitious posting
>> of the nonsense that you have apparently recently come
>> across regarding ad hominem, that would be an ad hominem
>> attack. One would hope that you have an understanding of
>> Linux that is better than your understanding of English!

The above is a continuation of an ad hominem attack.

http://tantek.pbwiki.com/TrollTaxonomy

[quote] Ad hominem troll [continued]

[...]

As far as:

> In fairness to High Plains Hypocrite he is either Chinese of
> Dutch. But he appears to talk Double Dutch. But you are right
> about one thing : any language he speaks would be superior to
> his knowledge of Linux.

I see Hadron going Dutch with amicus on another example of an ad
hominem attack.

It is not the first time he has brought up ethnic/racial issues.
A demonstration of his trolling accuses a poster with language
difficulties, inferring 3rd world inferiority mentality:

http://tinyurl.com/3a24nk

[quote]
Hadron wrote:
> I assume from your inability to understand the simplest of
> threads that your first language is not English. And for that,
> I apologise unreservedly for pointing out the holes in your
> vapid posts.

Oh, so now we've gone from idiot to racist, excellent advocacy,
eh Hadron?
[quote]

http://tinyurl.com/5s3hfs

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: In 5 years we'll see a Linux nut running naked in Munich
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 06:46:35 +0200

"Mr Chen? Is that HPT? He's a bit chinky isn't he?"

amicus_curious

Nov 18, 2008, 9:42:23 AM11/18/08

"Hadron" <hadro...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> You're too stupid to realise how stupid you look with that post! Talk
> about double standards! Another COLA hypocrite exposed.

Worse, I think. The silly folks have no understanding of ad hominem and no
real understanding of racist either. I think it comes from a lack of formal
education. They interpret derision as either. Racism involves hatred,
nothing less.

JEDIDIAH

Nov 18, 2008, 10:18:12 AM11/18/08
On 2008-11-17, amicus_curious <AC...@sti.net> wrote:

> "JEDIDIAH" <je...@nomad.mishnet> wrote in message
>>
>> You were lying again.
>>
> Quit being such a drudge! I say that Target is not featuring Linux machines
> at their top level of promotion. You want to quibble about which page Linux
> is found upon. You are in denial, I think.

...the page you were liking to: liar.

[deletia]

You need to learn how to lie better if you're going to make a habit of it.

--
On the subject of kilobyte being "redefined" to mean 1000 bytes...

When I was a wee lad, I was taught that SI units were |||
meant to be computationally convenient rather than just / | \
arbitrarily assigned.

JEDIDIAH

Nov 18, 2008, 10:17:14 AM11/18/08
On 2008-11-17, amicus_curious <AC...@sti.net> wrote:

> "Chris Ahlstrom" <lin...@bollsouth.nut> wrote in message
>> After takin' a swig o' grog, amicus_curious belched out
>> this bit o' wisdom:

>>> How about now. Linonut couldn't find any he says.
>>
>> True. Why? They obviously sold out, moron.
>>
> Or closed them out. You seem to have trouble thinking outside the box. Did
> they have a stock on hand of the XP model? Regardless of your point of
> view, having stock for sale is better than not having any if your aim is to
> sell something. Do you think that Target's buyers are so numb that they

The people who's aim it is to have the hottest xmas season gift
items would find this reasoning a real hoot... as would all of those
that ever had to scrounge for such items.

[deletia]

Chris Ahlstrom

Nov 18, 2008, 12:21:31 PM11/18/08
After takin' a swig o' grog, JEDIDIAH belched out
this bit o' wisdom:

>>> True. Why? They obviously sold out, moron.
>>>
>> Or closed them out. You seem to have trouble thinking outside the box. Did
>> they have a stock on hand of the XP model? Regardless of your point of
>> view, having stock for sale is better than not having any if your aim is to
>> sell something. Do you think that Target's buyers are so numb that they
>
> The people who's aim it is to have the hottest xmas season gift
> items would find this reasoning a real hoot... as would all of those
> that ever had to scrounge for such items.

That would be a pretty quick "close-out" on those Asus Eee PC Linux laptops,
wouldn't it? What, about two weeks? With no reduction from the $299 price?
No red Target clearance stickers for a few more weeks?

I have trouble "thinking outside the box" because I go by what I see? -- One
day there's a stack of boxes, come back two weeks later and don't see
anything but the display models with the same $299 price listed?

Poor amicus, shooting blanks, stammers and stumbles, his argument tanks.
He hangs out here, hoping to FUD, but all his mewling turn into mud.

--
You are a taxi driver. Your cab is yellow and black, and has been in
use for only seven years. One of its windshield wipers is broken, and

amicus_curious

Nov 18, 2008, 12:30:16 PM11/18/08

> Poor amicus, shooting blanks, stammers and stumbles, his argument tanks.
> He hangs out here, hoping to FUD, but all his mewling turn into mud.

Oh, don't cry for me, nut. You are the one whose preferred product is not
available at your local store.

Chris Ahlstrom

Nov 18, 2008, 1:03:24 PM11/18/08
After takin' a swig o' grog, Chris Ahlstrom belched out
this bit o' wisdom:

> Poor amicus, shooting blanks, stammers and stumbles, his argument tanks.

> He hangs out here, hoping to FUD, but all his mewling turn into mud.

That reminds me:

http://www.amazon.com/One-Laptop-per-Child-Give/dp/B001GB87EI/ref=tag_stp_st_edpp_ttl/186-6688991-4484836

One Laptop per Child XO Laptop (Give a Laptop, Get a Laptop)

Price: $399.00 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.
Details
In Stock.
Sold by One Laptop per Child Foundation and Fulfilled by Amazon.

Merry Christmas!

--
My only love sprung from my only hate!
Too early seen unknown, and known too late!

chrisv

Nov 18, 2008, 1:39:32 PM11/18/08
> rat wrote:
>>
>> Regardless of your point of
>> view, having stock for sale is better than not having any if your aim is to
>> sell something.

Nice logic, rat.

Do you really want to argue that "if your aim is to sell something",
it's "better" to have unsold product sitting on shelf than it is to
have product that sells so fast that you're selling it out?

FFS, you are a stupid, immoral rat.

Terry Porter

Nov 18, 2008, 3:04:30 PM11/18/08
On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 06:49:12 -0600, Sinister Midget wrote:

> On 2008-11-18, Terry Porter <lin...@netspace.net.au> claimed:

>>> Exactly. Rat is a pathological liar, and an insulting POS. "Polite"
>>> my ass.
>>
>> Oops, I should have said "and is very polite, with me". Apologies
>> ChrisV for my overly general remark.
>>
>> He's kill filed now, because although I can argue with Wintrolls all
>> day long, I have no time for racists.
>
> Then you might as well dump DuFuS and Flatso in the filters, too. Doofie
> is a KKK Grand Wizard down in Ghaw-gha. I doubt his black boyfriend is a
> member, though. Flatface hates, jews, blacks, gays, Mexicans and other
> latinos, asians, and probably half or more of Europe.
>

> Probably oughta filter at the same time, although I've had Quack

> filtered so long I don't know if s/h/it has said anything racist. But I
> wouldn't be surprised.

I kill filed all the above ages ago. Flatfish because he is old and
boring, DuFuS and Quirk because the earthworms in my garden are smarter
than those two dickheads.

Chris Ahlstrom

Nov 18, 2008, 3:07:18 PM11/18/08
After takin' a swig o' grog, chrisv belched out
this bit o' wisdom:

>> rat wrote:

He's doing the best he can with poor, poor material, chrisv.

--
The early bird who catches the worm works for someone who comes in late
and owns the worm farm.

amicus_curious

Nov 18, 2008, 3:46:06 PM11/18/08

>> FFS, you are a stupid, immoral rat.
>
> He's doing the best he can with poor, poor material, chrisv.

Surely the notion that you are reduced to a magpie role vis-a-vis chrisv and
7 and such must prey on your sanity! Tell the truth now!

Gregory Shearman

Nov 18, 2008, 3:50:36 PM11/18/08
On 2008-11-18, Chris Ahlstrom <lin...@bollsouth.nut> wrote:
> After takin' a swig o' grog, Gregory Shearman belched out
> this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> On 2008-11-17, Chris Ahlstrom <lin...@bollsouth.nut> wrote:
>>> After takin' a swig o' grog, chrisv belched out
>>> this bit o' wisdom:

>>> I'm surprised no one has come up with the obvious pun!
>>
>> It's lame. Why are you surprised?
>
> In my book, Greg, no pun is lame.

In my book, most are.

> In fact, if it pisses Hadron off, I'm all for it.

Me too. Anything for the good of the group.

Gregory Shearman

Nov 18, 2008, 3:53:12 PM11/18/08

Rubbish. Racism can be ignorance and it can be learned, inculcated since
birth by stupid and ignorant parents.

I've met many racists and most didn't hate, they were just ignorant and
irrational.

DFS

Nov 18, 2008, 9:09:15 PM11/18/08
Terry Porter wrote:

> I kill filed all the above ages ago. Flatfish because he is old and
> boring, DuFuS and Quirk because the earthworms in my garden are
> smarter than those two dickheads.

Because you're a weak-minded liar and Linux luser who can't back up his
bullshit.

Message has been deleted

Hadron

Nov 19, 2008, 12:38:41 AM11/19/08
"DFS" <nospam@dfs_.com> writes:

Not once has he refuted any correction I offered him. In my mind that
makes him less useful than chrisv or tattoo vampire at elocution
lessons.

He does a Chris Arestrom and snips the replies and tries to rewrite
history.

On one day I had Liarnut begrudgingly thank me for correcting him on a
Debian issue and a few posts later (earning another doggy drop) claim
that I dont use Linux and know nothing about it.

Go figure.

I kind of knew Porter was less useful than a chocolate teapot when High
Plains Hypocrite introduced himself and said how nice it was to meet a
"wintroll fighter" of such legendary proportions. Poor Terry fell for
the troll from whoever it was and started to believe he really was that
person.

Mark Kent

Nov 19, 2008, 10:55:35 AM11/19/08
Gregory Shearman <ZekeG...@netscape.net> espoused:

> On 2008-11-17, Chris Ahlstrom <lin...@bollsouth.nut> wrote:
>> After takin' a swig o' grog, chrisv belched out
>> this bit o' wisdom:

>>> More like the little fsckwit boy, sticking his head up his ass.
>>
>> I'm surprised no one has come up with the obvious pun!
>>

> It's lame. Why are you surprised?

Oh, something like "if he sticks his fingers into the dyke, he's likely
to get his head kicked in?" say? arghhhh! sorry...

Chris Ahlstrom

Nov 19, 2008, 12:12:39 PM11/19/08
After takin' a swig o' grog, Mark Kent belched out
this bit o' wisdom:

> Gregory Shearman <ZekeG...@netscape.net> espoused:
>>
>> On 2008-11-17, Chris Ahlstrom <lin...@bollsouth.nut> wrote:
>>> After takin' a swig o' grog, chrisv belched out
>>> this bit o' wisdom:

>>> I'm surprised no one has come up with the obvious pun!
>>
>> It's lame. Why are you surprised?
>
> Oh, something like "if he sticks his fingers into the dyke, he's likely
> to get his head kicked in?" say? arghhhh! sorry...

Thank you, Mark.

My mental tape loop is now complete, and I can move forward. <grin>

--
The soul would have no rainbow had the eyes no tears.

Gregory Shearman

Nov 19, 2008, 2:47:05 PM11/19/08
On 2008-11-19, Mark Kent <mark...@demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Gregory Shearman <ZekeG...@netscape.net> espoused:
>>

>> On 2008-11-17, Chris Ahlstrom <lin...@bollsouth.nut> wrote:
>>> After takin' a swig o' grog, chrisv belched out
>>> this bit o' wisdom:

>>> I'm surprised no one has come up with the obvious pun!
>>>

>> It's lame. Why are you surprised?
>>

> Oh, something like "if he sticks his fingers into the dyke, he's likely
> to get his head kicked in?" say? arghhhh! sorry...

Oh dear! That's just what I was afraid of....

<sigh>

Mark Kent

Nov 24, 2008, 7:33:23 AM11/24/08
Chris Ahlstrom <lin...@bollsouth.nut> espoused:

:-)

Mark Kent

Nov 24, 2008, 7:33:14 AM11/24/08
Gregory Shearman <ZekeG...@netscape.net> espoused:
> On 2008-11-19, Mark Kent <mark...@demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> Gregory Shearman <ZekeG...@netscape.net> espoused:

>>> It's lame. Why are you surprised?
>>>

>> Oh, something like "if he sticks his fingers into the dyke, he's likely
>> to get his head kicked in?" say? arghhhh! sorry...
>
> Oh dear! That's just what I was afraid of....
>
><sigh>

I know, I was trying to give it a slightly unusual spin, though...

High Plains Thumper

Nov 24, 2008, 7:34:24 AM11/24/08
Hadron wrote:

> "DFS" writes:
>
>> Because you're a weak-minded liar and Linux luser who can't
>> back up his bullshit.
>
> Not once has he refuted any correction I offered him. In my
> mind that makes him less useful than chrisv or tattoo vampire
> at elocution lessons.

Corrections like?

http://tinyurl.com/5fyhev

[quote]
Hadron wrote:
> It IS because of him and two other useless people in
> particular (CBFalconer and Harold "old school" Stevens
> (probably both Willy nyms) that I started to drift from the
> Ubuntu fan boy zone.

"I got my ass kicked up around my shoulders in AOLU, so in a lame
attempt to hide the ass-kicking I received and deserved, I puffed
out my hollow chest, chortled 'victory' and acted like I walked
away from the group."
[/quote]

> He does a Chris Arestrom and snips the replies and tries to
> rewrite history.
>
> On one day I had Liarnut begrudgingly thank me for correcting
> him on a Debian issue and a few posts later (earning another
> doggy drop) claim that I dont use Linux and know nothing about
> it.
>
> Go figure.
>
> I kind of knew Porter was less useful than a chocolate teapot
> when High Plains Hypocrite introduced himself and said how
> nice it was to meet a "wintroll fighter" of such legendary
> proportions. Poor Terry fell for the troll from whoever it was
> and started to believe he really was that person.

Uses of altering advocate nyms, "Liarnut" (Linonut), "High Plains
Hypocrite" (High Plains Thumper), denigrating verbiage such as
"earning another doggy drop", "less useful than a chocolate
teapot", "Poor Terry", "believe he really was that person" are
examples of ad hominem attacks.

http://tantek.pbwiki.com/TrollTaxonomy

[quote]
Ad hominem troll

Ad hominem troll at its simplest, will attack people personally,
rather than the merits of their statements or methodologies.

The ad hominem troll often has already lost a rational argument
about a topic, and thus its goal is to change the argument from
being about a topic, to being about the people opposed to the
troll (which could mean any/all rational person(s) in the
discussion), in the hopes of both discrediting people's ideas
indirectly by discrediting the people, and engendering an
emotional reaction from the people by attacking their egos /
self-image. The "getting a reaction out of" goal is common to
most troll types.
[/quote]

Unwarranted calling an advocate a troll is an example of:

[quote]
7.6 Trespasser Disinformation Tactics

[6.] When your tactics are turned on you, call your opponents
trolls. Do not accept the fact that by calling someone using
your tactics a troll that makes you the real troll.
[/quote]

--
HPT

Gregory Shearman

Nov 24, 2008, 3:03:50 PM11/24/08
On 2008-11-24, Mark Kent <mark...@demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Gregory Shearman <ZekeG...@netscape.net> espoused:
>> On 2008-11-19, Mark Kent <mark...@demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>> Gregory Shearman <ZekeG...@netscape.net> espoused:

>>> Oh, something like "if he sticks his fingers into the dyke, he's
>>> likely to get his head kicked in?" say? arghhhh! sorry...
>>
>> Oh dear! That's just what I was afraid of....
>>
>><sigh>
>>

> I know, I was trying to give it a slightly unusual spin, though...

Did you really mean to say that? Ewwwwww!

Mark Kent

Nov 26, 2008, 10:45:22 AM11/26/08

Of course... once you start one of these things, you can take them in
all kinds of directions ;-)