[News] Puppy Linux Team Takes Lessons from Ubuntu

Roy Schestowitz

May 25, 2008, 11:48:05 PM5/25/08

Lessons learned from Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| While wandering the Ubuntu site (www.ubuntu.com) to take a look at the new
| Hardy Heron / 8.04 LTS version, I went all philosophical and tried to think
| of any lessons that the Puppy Community could learn from that of Ubuntu. Now
| please note this is not a dig at the Puppy Community, we are one of the best
| out there, I'm just taking a step back and pondering to myself.
|
| So anyway here we go...
|
| There are of course already things key to the Ubuntu community that Puppy
| does well. Support in the forums is to a very high standard, as is the
| development of individual programs.
`----

http://www.puppylinux.org/community/blogs/lof/lessons-learned-ubuntu

Recent:

Puppy Linux 4 gets new bite

,----[ Quote ]
| Its been been six months since Puppy Linux 3.01 was released and today Barry
| Kauler announced Puppy 4.00, aka Dingo. Clocking in at a minimal 87MB
| download, Puppy 4.00 is a lightweight desktop Linux alternative ideal for
| low-end machines, or for users who want a little less clutter and more speed
| from their desktop.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2398

Puppeee: Puppy for your Eee PC

,----[ Quote ]
| The Asus Eee PC ultraportable comes bundled with a version of Xandros as its
| operating system. If you would like to try a different Linux distro on your
| Eee, there are plenty of options to choose from, including eeeXubuntu,
| EeeDora, ZenEee,  EeePCLinuxOS, and Puppeee. The latter is based on Puppy
| Linux, a tiny Linux distribution that sports a few unique features that make
| it a perfect candidate for use on machines like the Eee PC.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/131070

Puppy Linux 4.0 on a Dell Inspiron 1150 Review

,----[ Quote ]
| In conclusion, if you are looking for something different I would give Puppy
| a try. This version is all built from source to maximize speed. Every program
| on my machine seems to open instaneously. Even with Compiz functionality
| turned off in Gnome, my Ubuntu install is no where near as fast. There are
| many features in Puppy that are lacking in other distributions. Installation
| to thumb drivers, remastering your own custom cd, and wizards to aid new
| users are just a few.
`----

http://www.penguinway.net/?p=89

Moshe, Goldfarb.

May 26, 2008, 12:43:42 AM5/26/08
On Mon, 26 May 2008 04:48:05 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Lessons learned from Ubuntu

Don't build a Linux distribution that freezes and lockups causing the users
endless hours if not days of frustration.

--
Moshe Goldfarb
Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

schisterwitz

May 26, 2008, 12:48:15 AM5/26/08

http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2008/01/moshe-goldfarb-troll.html
http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2007/01/flatfish-troll.html

Traits:

* Nym shifting (see below)
* Self confessed thief and proud of it
* Homophobic
* Racist
* Habitual liar

Colin Wilson

May 26, 2008, 4:03:41 AM5/26/08
> > Lessons learned from Ubuntu
> Don't build a Linux distribution that freezes and lockups causing the users
> endless hours if not days of frustration.

Whereas if you don't mind a challenge, and don't get upset if it does
everything you want and more for free...

Moshe, Goldfarb.

May 26, 2008, 4:12:22 AM5/26/08

Except your time.

My time is worth a lot of money.

I won't waste it trying to debug Linux so that the likes of IBM can profit
off of my bug squashing by selling Linux and Linux support contracts.

You suckers in the OSS world are being taken for a ride.
You just haven't figured it out yet because you are too busy compiling the
latest version of Linux.

Ian Hilliard

May 26, 2008, 8:56:50 AM5/26/08
Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:

>>> Don't build a Linux distribution that freezes and lockups causing the
>>> users endless hours if not days of frustration.
>>
>> Whereas if you don't mind a challenge, and don't get upset if it does
>> everything you want and more for free...
>
> Except your time.
>
> My time is worth a lot of money.
>
> I won't waste it trying to debug Linux so that the likes of IBM can profit
> off of my bug squashing by selling Linux and Linux support contracts.
>
> You suckers in the OSS world are being taken for a ride.
> You just haven't figured it out yet because you are too busy compiling the
> latest version of Linux.

Instead, you spend your precious time posting large numbers of messages to
C.O.L.A. Given your previous statement, you must be receiving an income
from this task.

Ian

Rick

May 26, 2008, 9:48:31 AM5/26/08
On Mon, 26 May 2008 00:43:42 -0400, Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:

> On Mon, 26 May 2008 04:48:05 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>

>> Lessons learned from Ubuntu
>
> Don't build a Linux distribution that freezes and lockups causing the
> users endless hours if not days of frustration.

Ok.. then don't use Windows.

--
Rick

Rick

May 26, 2008, 9:50:11 AM5/26/08
On Mon, 26 May 2008 04:12:22 -0400, Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:

>>> Don't build a Linux distribution that freezes and lockups causing the
>>> users endless hours if not days of frustration.
>>
>> Whereas if you don't mind a challenge, and don't get upset if it does
>> everything you want and more for free...
>
> Except your time.
>
> My time is worth a lot of money.

$.25 is a lot of money?

> I won't waste it trying to debug Linux so that the likes of IBM can
> profit off of my bug squashing by selling Linux and Linux support
> contracts.

So don't.

> You suckers in the OSS world are being taken for a ride. You just
> haven't figured it out yet because you are too busy compiling the latest
> version of Linux.

So, why do you use Linux? Do you like being suckered and taken for a ride?

--
Rick

High Plains Thumper

May 26, 2008, 10:18:15 AM5/26/08
Ian Hilliard wrote:
> Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:
>> Colin Wilson wrote:

Lessons expressed from Readmon (below).

I bought my daughter an Eee PC 4G. She really loves it. It is
small, light, fits into a purse. GOS works fine, comes with a
suite of fine applications. It is definite proof to the consumer
that Linux is well suited alternative to Microsoft Desktop Windows.

I haven't had any problems wth Ubuntu, been working very well for
the past two years.

Ubuntu bested both Microsoft Vista and Apple OSX in pwn to own
hacking contest:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03/29/ubuntu_left_standing/

[quote]
Only Ubuntu left standing, as Flash vuln fells Vista in Pwn2Own
hacking contest

Contestant overcomes bout of 'hacktile dysfunction'
By Dan Goodin in Vancouver → More by this author
Published Saturday 29th March 2008 21:27 GMT

CanSecWest A laptop running a fully patched version of
Microsoft's Vista operating system was the second and final
machine to fall in a hacking contest that pitted the security of
Windows, OS X and Ubuntu Linux. With both a Windows and Mac
machine felled, only the Linux box remained standing following
the three-day competition.
[/quote]

Debian security is unsurpassed.

OTOH, yesterday I was passing through Boise City, Oklahoma.
Stopped by a Love's gas station. Whilst inside, son pointed it
out with a sense of humour. The Windows based Lotto kiosk had
the BSOD (blue screen of death) showing on it.

>>> Whereas if you don't mind a challenge, and don't get upset
>>> if it does everything you want and more for free...
>>
>> Except your time.
>>
>> My time is worth a lot of money.
>>
>> I won't waste it trying to debug Linux so that the likes of
>> IBM can profit off of my bug squashing by selling Linux and
>> Linux support contracts.

Aha! The anti-Linux modus operandi reveals itself. The Windows
shill expresses anti-competitive sentiment.

>> You suckers in the OSS world are being taken for a ride. You
>> just haven't figured it out yet because you are too busy
>> compiling the latest version of Linux.

Nonsense. Ubuntu has worked well for me past 2 years. There are
no re-compilings.

> Instead, you spend your precious time posting large numbers of
> messages to C.O.L.A. Given your previous statement, you must
> be receiving an income from this task.

Whether he is or not, that I do not know. However, it is plainly
obvious he is anti-Linux.

The beauty of Linux is it is succeeding and succeeding well. The
unwelcomed off-topic astroturfers think they have won. In
essence they haven't. His stupid rants are nothing more than
that of a rabid dog.

--
HPT
Quando omni flunkus moritati

caver1

May 26, 2008, 11:31:10 AM5/26/08

Using Hardy 64bit. Yes have had a couple of lockups but it only took a
few seconds to overcome.
caver1

Moshe, Goldfarb.

May 26, 2008, 11:53:30 AM5/26/08

Yea.
Pulling the plug doesn't take too long.

At least you are honest though.

Rick

May 26, 2008, 1:14:49 PM5/26/08
On Mon, 26 May 2008 11:53:30 -0400, Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:

> On Mon, 26 May 2008 11:31:10 -0400, caver1 wrote:
>
>> Rick wrote:

>>> Ok.. then don't use Windows.
>>>

>> Using Hardy 64bit. Yes have had a couple of lockups but it only took a
>> few seconds to overcome.
>> caver1
>
> Yea.
> Pulling the plug doesn't take too long.
>
> At least you are honest though.

Why do you an OS you detest?

--
Rick

Colin Wilson

May 26, 2008, 1:28:17 PM5/26/08
> > Whereas if you don't mind a challenge, and don't get upset if it does
> > everything you want and more for free...
> Except your time.
> My time is worth a lot of money.

So kindly do us all a favour, i'll try to be succint here...

Fuck off back to whatever OS you think is worthy of your time & money,
and stop trying to make something you appear to hate part of your
life.

How much time (and money) have you wasted telling people who WANT to
use Ubuntu how bad it is ?

Moshe, Goldfarb.

May 26, 2008, 2:19:46 PM5/26/08
On Mon, 26 May 2008 18:28:17 +0100, Colin Wilson wrote:

>>> Whereas if you don't mind a challenge, and don't get upset if it does
>>> everything you want and more for free...
>> Except your time.
>> My time is worth a lot of money.
>
> So kindly do us all a favour, i'll try to be succint here...

I learned a long time ago that doing things for free, with the exception of
legitimate charities, is no way to succeed in life.

Why?

Because somewhere, somehow, some way, some smart person (like me) is making
money off of the chump who is giving his *stuff* away.

See IBM / Redhat or any Linux vendor for details.

> Fuck off back to whatever OS you think is worthy of your time & money,
> and stop trying to make something you appear to hate part of your
> life.

Why are Linux advocates always so hostile?

It must have something to do with all the pent up anger trying to make
Linux, or in this case Ubuntu, work properly without freezing and locking
up.

That would certainly frustrate me.

> How much time (and money) have you wasted telling people who WANT to
> use Ubuntu how bad it is ?

It's not a waste of time if I can save them from wasting their OWN time.
Additionally, Linux is free and so is their right to try Ubuntu if they
wish.
I can't stop them, nor is it my intent to stop them.

caver1

May 26, 2008, 3:50:04 PM5/26/08
Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:
> On Mon, 26 May 2008 11:31:10 -0400, caver1 wrote:
>
>> Rick wrote:

>>> Ok.. then don't use Windows.
>>>
>> Using Hardy 64bit. Yes have had a couple of lockups but it only took a
>> few seconds to overcome.
>> caver1
>
> Yea.
> Pulling the plug doesn't take too long.
>
> At least you are honest though.

I haven't seen the plug. I didn't know my computer had one.
caver1

Cork Soaker

May 26, 2008, 4:34:55 PM5/26/08
Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:
> On Mon, 26 May 2008 04:48:05 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>

>> Lessons learned from Ubuntu
>
> Don't build a Linux distribution that freezes and lockups causing the users
> endless hours if not days of frustration.

FUCK OFF MOSHE, YOU ARE WORTHLESS.

/kill
/end

Jim Cochrane

May 26, 2008, 8:39:09 PM5/26/08
["Followup-To:" header set to alt.os.linux.ubuntu.]

Some of the people posting here about system freezes or lockups may find
it helpful if you elaborate on how you overcame the problem - assuming
you found a permanent fix. (If you've already done this in another post -
nevermind.)

Moshe, Goldfarb.

May 26, 2008, 9:53:30 PM5/26/08

There doesn't seem to be a fix.

FWIW the Fedora 9 users seem to be having similar lockup and freeze
problems with Linux.

Moshe, Goldfarb.

May 26, 2008, 10:06:57 PM5/26/08

So you prefer a Linux distribution that locks up, freezes and causes the
user endless hours of frustration then.

Well that certainly explains why Linux is in the sad state it is currently
in.

You guys just don't seem to care about quality.

Jim Cochrane

May 27, 2008, 1:50:57 AM5/27/08
On 2008-05-27, Moshe, Goldfarb. <brickn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 27 May 2008 00:39:09 GMT, Jim Cochrane wrote:
>
>> ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.os.linux.ubuntu.]

>>> Using Hardy 64bit. Yes have had a couple of lockups but it only took a
>>> few seconds to overcome.
>>> caver1
>>
>> Some of the people posting here about system freezes or lockups may find
>> it helpful if you elaborate on how you overcame the problem - assuming
>> you found a permanent fix. (If you've already done this in another post -
>> nevermind.)
>
> There doesn't seem to be a fix.
>
> FWIW the Fedora 9 users seem to be having similar lockup and freeze
> problems with Linux.

Do you know if any F9 users who are using the 2.6.25.3 kernel are
experiencing these problems? (I'm using 2.6.25.3-18 [with AMD Athlon
3500+] and am having no such problems; but that doesn't prove, of course
that others are not seeing them.)

Colin Wilson

May 27, 2008, 3:23:20 AM5/27/08
> So you prefer a Linux distribution that locks up, freezes and causes the
> user endless hours of frustration then.

Simple statement of fact:

* We already put up with it in Windows *

Haven't you heard of a BSOD ?

If you haven't seen one, you're one of the few who hasn't, so please
stop trying to get a FREE product you hate working, and leave it to
people who are (typically) using and coding it for free - and are
happy to put up with what *you* think is instability but may not be an
issue for 99% of the population.

DFS

May 27, 2008, 8:07:44 AM5/27/08
Colin Wilson wrote:

> Haven't you heard of a BSOD ?
>
> If you haven't seen one, you're one of the few who hasn't,

Then you won't mind not posting to cola or aolu until your XP system blue
screens?

Thought so, liar.

Colin Wilson

May 27, 2008, 1:09:44 PM5/27/08
> Then you won't mind not posting to cola or aolu until your XP system blue
> screens?
> Thought so, liar.

Apologies, I didn't realise the other tosser had cross-posted...

Moshe, Goldfarb.

May 27, 2008, 1:24:27 PM5/27/08
On Tue, 27 May 2008 08:23:20 +0100, Colin Wilson wrote:

>> So you prefer a Linux distribution that locks up, freezes and causes the
>> user endless hours of frustration then.
>
> Simple statement of fact:

Facts and Linux advocates are mutually exclusive.

> * We already put up with it in Windows *
> Haven't you heard of a BSOD ?

Heard of?
Yes.
Experienced?
Once or twice when I had a bad DIMM and a sick hdisk.

> If you haven't seen one, you're one of the few who hasn't, so please
> stop trying to get a FREE product you hate working, and leave it to
> people who are (typically) using and coding it for free - and are
> happy to put up with what *you* think is instability but may not be an
> issue for 99% of the population.

Linux sucks for the desktop.
The applications for the most part look, act and perform like amateur
software.
The help systems stink.
The support for newly released hardware is marginal at best.
The integration with popular hand held multimedia devices is a clusterfuck.
........and so forth.

Now add in the obvious instability problems the latest versions of Ubuntu
and Fedora 9 seem to be suffering from, and Linux turns out to be a huge
stinker.

Christine Abernathy

May 26, 2008, 11:57:43 AM5/26/08

luisortizhome