Not all Linux programs are available for Windows ... why

Terry Porter

May 2, 2009, 12:28:17 AM5/2/09
Not enough Windows freetards willing to do the work, that's why!

Here is another example: GRAMPS

GRAMPS is a comprehensive GUI genealogy program for tracing your family
history.

GRAMPS, the Genealogical Research and Analysis Management Programming System
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

GRAMPS currently runs on Linux and Windows. Guides for installation on MAC
OS X, BSD and Solaris are available.

WINDOWS:-
GRAMPS has been designed to use the multi-platform toolsets Python and GTK,
a few volunteers have created a Windows installer that has been reported to
work without too many obvious issues.

"But there are currently no GRAMPS developers committed to this platform."

This means that the Gramps developers have designed Gramps to work under
Windows, but they don't have any developers committed to Windows.

While the trolls will claim that Gramps is "available for Windows", they
will neglect to mention that only a old Windows exe may be available, and
may not even work, because the Windows version is not actively supported.

They also neglect to mention that to get Gramps to run under Windows may
require installing the following programs:-

Installation

1. Close any gtk-based applications that are running, such as the GIMP or
Pidgin. See additional note below.
2. Install the packages in the following order:
1. Python 2.5.1 => python-2.5.1.msi (10.7 MB, from python.org)
2. GTK+ 2.10.11 => gtk-dev-2.10.11-win32-1.exe (11.9 MB, from
gladewin32, includes glade, see note)
3. pygtk 2.10.6 => pygtk-2.10.6-1.win32-py2.5.exe (1.8 MB, from
www.acc.umu.se)
4. pygobject 2.12.3 => pygobject-2.12.3-1.win32-py2.5.exe (163 KB,
from www.gnome.org)
5. pycairo 1.2.6 => pycairo-1.2.6-1.win32-py2.5.exe (82 KB, from
www.acc.umu.se)
3. Re-boot the computer after installing the above dependencies, prior to
installing GRAMPS.
4. Install GRAMPS for Windows. You can install the last stable version:
1. gramps-3.1.1-1.exe -- (4.2 MB) GRAMPS one-click installer for
Windows, with support for 20 languages.

Ok, so you say thats not *so* hard ?

If you run GNU/Debian/Linux: all you have to do is type:-
$> "apt-get install gramps"

If you run GNU/Fedora/Linux: all you have to do is type:-
$> "yum install gramps"

If you run GNU/Gentoo/Linux: all you have to do is type:-
$> "emerge gramps"

and it's *ALL* installed automatically, including fetching all required
packages from the Internet. You don't have to do a thing.

How easy is Linux ???

You may be thinking "this isn't as hard as I've heard Linux is supposed to
be?" and you would be right.

Just look at who is claiming Linux is "hard", and ask yourself, what's their
motivation for these claims ?

Then why not grab a copy of Ubuntu and find out for yourself ?

Try a Free GNU/Linux/Ubuntu LIVE CD at :-
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

indeed listen to. Trolls are not among those people, as trolls, more or
Kelsey Bjarnason, C.O.L.A. 2008

Megabyte

May 2, 2009, 2:02:59 AM5/2/09
Terry Porter wrote:
> Not enough Windows freetards willing to do the work, that's why!
>
> Here is another example: GRAMPS

Who cares Terry when there are already tons of genealogy programs
available for Windows at absolutely no cost as well as numerous
commercial genealogy programs available? For example, Downloads.com
lists 60 Windows genealogy related programs on a search for genealogy
software. A search of Amazon.com will reveal several commercial variants.

Can one run Personal Ancestral File, one of the best, on Linux? It is
available free for Windows. No Linux version available unfortunately.
Darn based on your analogy there must not be any Linux freetards willing
to do the work to port it to Linux or Mac as I'm sure they would be
happy to have Linux and Mac versions available.

I think you picked a poor category of software in which to compare Linux
and Windows. I suspect trying to generate interest with Windows
developers to build yet another Windows Genealogy program or a port of
GRAMPS would not garner much interest as there are already dozens of
excellent programs to choose from.

The fact is the majority of popular open source programs are available
for Windows such as: OpenOffice, Firefox, Thunderbird, Evolution, Gimp
and others. It is also a fact that unfortunately some of the most
popular programs for Windows such as Office, iTunes, Photoshop and
others are not available for Linux.

Terry Porter

May 2, 2009, 3:19:41 AM5/2/09
Megabyte wrote:

> Terry Porter wrote:
>> Not enough Windows freetards willing to do the work, that's why!
>>
>> Here is another example: GRAMPS
>>

> Who cares Terry

Why are you still here ?

You said you were 'going back to Windows' didn't you ?

bye ..... say hi to Blammer for me.

Terry Porter

May 2, 2009, 3:50:09 AM5/2/09
Megabyte wrote:

> Terry Porter wrote:
>> Not enough Windows freetards willing to do the work, that's why!
>>
>> Here is another example: GRAMPS
>>

> Who cares Terry when there are already tons of genealogy programs
> available for Windows at absolutely no cost as well as numerous
> commercial genealogy programs available?

We may find out in this thread.

> For example, Downloads.com
> lists 60 Windows genealogy related programs on a search for genealogy
> software.

I took the liberty of doing the research you were too lazy to do, and
selected a few 5 star reviews:-

Genbox Family History 3.7.1 # Limitations:30-day trial
The Complete Genealogy Reporter 2008 # Limitations:30-day trial
GED-GEN 1.7 # Limitations: 30-day trial

Naturally there are heaps more, but I'm sure you can spot a difference
between these *commercial* programs and GRAMPS ?

> A search of Amazon.com will reveal several commercial variants.

Several *more* commercial variants you mean.

I wonder if you can give me just *one* url of one Windows genealogy program
with the same extensive feature set as GRAMPS and the same Free license ?

GRAMPS is a Free Software Project for Genealogy, offering a professional
genealogy program, and a wiki open to all. It is a community project,
created, developed and governed by ** genealogists **

Licence
GRAMPS is a GPLv2 application with possibility to use a later version of the
GPL (GPLv3). There are no plans at the moment to move to GPLv3 and drop
GPLv2.
Coding style

GRAMPS follows PEP 8. More info and general policy: Programming Guidelines.
Starting from 3.2 minimal pylint scores will probably be enforced.

Concerning the visual elements, a general UI style is agreed upon:

> Can one run Personal Ancestral File, one of the best, on Linux? It is
> available free for Windows. No Linux version available unfortunately.

No current windows version either, unfortunately. It hasn't been updated in
SEVERAL YEARS !

Is this really the best you can do ?

Release History:
PAF 5.2 Released 23 July 2002 (Win9x/NT) Freeware.
It is unclear what is in store for PAF, as New FamilySearch begins to be
released worldwide. While FamilySearch continues to support PAF, no updates
or fixes have been made in several years.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_Ancestral_File

> Darn based on your analogy there must not be any Linux freetards willing
> to do the work to port it to Linux or Mac as I'm sure they would be
> happy to have Linux and Mac versions available.

Port an unsupported Windows application (for several years) written in
BASIC, lol, no thanks.

Linux users have GRAMPS, in case you missed that earlier.

> I think you picked a poor category of software in which to compare Linux
> and Windows.

I think your argument is very weak, all you have offered is abandon ware for
Windows. Try harder ?

> I suspect trying to generate interest with Windows
> developers to build yet another Windows Genealogy program or a port of
> GRAMPS would not garner much interest as there are already dozens of
> excellent programs to choose from.

Yet the only one you can name which is freeware (abandinware) is several
years old and made for Win9x/NT.

> The fact is the majority of popular open source programs are available
> for Windows such as: OpenOffice, Firefox, Thunderbird, Evolution, Gimp
> and others.

Everyone of those applications is Free.

> It is also a fact that unfortunately some of the most
> popular programs for Windows such as Office, iTunes, Photoshop and
> others are not available for Linux.

You have just named at least $2000 in Windows programs, and as we have
applications that are just as good, for Free, you'll understand when I say
that I couldn't care less, that the Windows apps you have named above are
not available *natively* for Linux.

Why do you have to pirate or pay for the same software I get legally and for
Free ?

You have shown yourself very clearly to have been a Windows troll right from
the start. You lasted a bit longer than the various flatfish nyms before
declaring you were 'going back to Windows', which was good, but this effort
attempting to rebut my Gramps article is just plain boring, poorly
researched, and very lacklustre.

I dare you to do better ...

amicus_curious

May 2, 2009, 12:19:14 PM5/2/09

"Terry Porter" <lin...@netspace.net.au> wrote in message

> Not enough Windows freetards willing to do the work, that's why!
>
> Here is another example: GRAMPS

You seem to have missed the lesson to be learned here. The availability of
some obscure individual program is not going to affect the popularity of a
platform. The goal is to find the so-called "killer app" that many people
want to have and make it available on a single platform. FOSS applications
are inherently clones of commercial programs and no matter what you do, you
cannot create any exclusivity with a clone.Genealogy programs have rather
limited popularity to begin with and yet another free one is hardly of
interest, even to the genealogy fans.

Terry Porter

May 3, 2009, 8:00:19 AM5/3/09
Megabyte wrote:

> Terry Porter wrote:
>> Not enough Windows freetards willing to do the work, that's why!
>>
>> Here is another example: GRAMPS
>>

> Who cares Terry when there are already tons of genealogy programs
> available for Windows at absolutely no cost as well as numerous
> commercial genealogy programs available?

Actually most Windows genealogy programs are payware.

Looks like Linux has tons of genealogy applications also!

Editor's Choice Genealogy Software suggests that Root Magic is the best
Windows genealogy application, which is payware, naturally. The demo only
allows the entry of 50 people.
http://genealogy.about.com/cs/genealogysoftware/a/software_2.htm
http://www.rootsmagic.com/
So let's have a look at it running under Wine on this Linux desktop :-
http://test.portertech.org/roots-magic-wine.jpg

A relative uses Windows "Brothers Keeper", it costs **$45** and here is a
screen pic:-
Windows "brothers-keeper" running under Linux WINE on this Linux box:-
http://www.bkwin.org/
http://test.portertech.org/brothers-keeper.exe.jpg

*Another* Windows genealogy app runing under WINE on this Linux box... yawn.
Like BK, it looks fairly basic.
http://www.famtreesoftware.com/
http://test.portertech.org/famtree-4.43-wine.jpg

> Can one run Personal Ancestral File, one of the best, on Linux?

** SURE **
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp
Looks pretty good for a program not maintained for *several* years. Here it
is running on this Linux box :-
http://test.portertech.org/PAF-v5.2.jpg

If you want to do unrestricted charts, like GRAMS tho, you'll have to pay.
PAF Companion Basic v5.2.1 (English Only)
Print your family tree in colorful ancestor and descendant charts. It's
free, easy, and fully compatible with PAF. The basic version prints up to
three generations.
For only $6.75, you can upgrade to the full version of PAF Companion.

> It is
> available free for Windows.

PAF5 is also available free (as in beer) for Linux as well, please see
above.

> No Linux version available unfortunately.

You just assumed it wasn't available for Linux didn't you, a quick troll and
no real research ?

> Darn based on your analogy there must not be any Linux freetards willing
> to do the work to port it to Linux

Already done, runs fine under Linux. You were saying ... ?

> or Mac as I'm sure they would be
> happy to have Linux and Mac versions available.

Dunno about Mac, but as you can see Linux runs PAF just fine.

> I think you picked a poor category of software in which to compare Linux
> and Windows.

Really, why do you think that ?

> I suspect trying to generate interest with Windows
> developers to build yet another Windows Genealogy program or a port of
> GRAMPS would not garner much interest as there are already dozens of
> excellent programs to choose from.

I was never trying to generate interest with Windows
developers to build yet another Windows Genealogy program, my topic was
"Not all Linux programs are available for Windows ... why"

And although there is a Windows version of GRAMPS, it's not maintained due
to lack of interest and would be a darn sight harder for a Windows user to
install than it was for me to install PAF under Linux.

Lets have another look at Linux GRAMPS ?
gramps-project.org
http://test.portertech.org/gramps.jpg ...NICE! and also Free!

> The fact is the majority of popular open source programs are available
> for Windows such as: OpenOffice, Firefox, Thunderbird, Evolution, Gimp
> and others.

Um that's just *five*, we have about 22 THOUSAND Linux applications
available.

I know how much Fuddingbusch dreams of using the awesome Linux FWbuilder, so
I have prepared a special treat for all you trolls.

http://test.portertech.org/PAF-FWB-Celestia-Xterm-Gkrellm-Ice-desktop.jpg

> It is also a fact that unfortunately some of the most
> popular programs for Windows such as Office, iTunes, Photoshop and
> others are not available for Linux.

I don't consider that unfortunate at all, I don't have to waste a couple of
grand. Linux provides their equivalents or better, for Free.

Thanks for the post, I've learnt a few things putting my rebuttal together,
such as how WINE seems to run everything I try these days. Every single
Windows genealogy application I downloaded and installed tonight ran
perfectly under Linux via Wine.

I hope you have enjoyed the thread as much as I have :)