IBM Aims For 40,000 Linux Desktops In-house By 2005

Dr allw

Mar 16, 2004, 7:11:29 PM3/16/04

IBM hopes to have 40,000 Linux desktop users within the company by
year's end, according to Scott Handy, IBM's vice president of worldwide
Linux strategy and market development.

http://www.computerworld.com/newsletter/0,4902,91301,00.html?nlid=PM

--
A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C000BD1D in VXD VMM(01) +
0000AD1D. The current application will be terminated.

The Ghost In The Machine

Mar 17, 2004, 4:00:07 PM3/17/04
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Dr allw
<a...@LinuxRules.org>
wrote
on Wed, 17 Mar 2004 00:11:29 GMT
<RIM5c.43836$aT1....@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>:

> IBM hopes to have 40,000 Linux desktop users within the company by
> year's end, according to Scott Handy, IBM's vice president of worldwide
> Linux strategy and market development.
>
> http://www.computerworld.com/newsletter/0,4902,91301,00.html?nlid=PM

Would be nice if their consumer level stuff was offered with Linux. :-/

Mind you, I can't say I dug into every corner of their website; they
may be like Dell in that one has to know where to look.

www.ibm.com
click on "Home/home office"
click on "Home software", which is *all* NT/XP based, judging
from the pulldowns.
Go back.
click on "IBM desktops". ThinkCentre A is "available with Windows XP" --
or Win2k. Add-ons are exclusively Windows-based.
ThinkCentre M: same.
ThinkCentre S: same.
NetVista M: same.

That was one of the obvious paths, of course, but it's less than promising.

www.ibm.com
click on "small business"
click on "products"
click on "workstations"
Intellistation A Pro: can be preloaded with MS Windows or RH Enterprise Linux,
so it's a start. Of course at $2619 base price it's not exactly the
cheapest!
Intellistation M Pro: preloaded with Windows XP but "certified for
Win2k and RH Enterprise WS3". (Feh.)
Intellistation Z Pro: preloaded with Windows XP but "certified for
Win2k and RH Enterprise WS3". (Feh.)

Intellistation POWER: this is one heck of a system, and at $8K base,
it had better be. Apparently it's AIX-based, and way out of my
price range, anyway.

Feh.

www.ibm.com
click on "small business"
click on "products"
click on "desktops"

Oops, I've been here already. Feh.

www.ibm.com
click on "small business"
click on "products"
click on "notebooks"
ThinkPad R: preloaded with MS Windows XP.
ThinkPad T: preloaded with MS Windows XP.
ThinkPad X: preloaded with MS Windows XP.
ThinkPad G: preloaded with MS Windows XP.

Feh.

It doesn't help that I see "IBM Recommends Windows XP Professional"
sprinkled around, either.

Sorry IBM, but I for one would hope that your Linux offerings are
in a more obvious spot.

#191, ewi...@earthlink.net
It's still legal to go .sigless.

Popeye 'Bailo' Doyle

Mar 17, 2004, 4:20:30 PM3/17/04

IBM is clever and waits until the moment is right.

Premature releases to the general public only hurt Linux.

IBM is right.

Jeffrey Silverman

Mar 17, 2004, 10:51:30 PM3/17/04
On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 21:20:30 +0000, Popeye 'Bailo' Doyle wrote:

> IBM is clever and waits until the moment is right.
>
> Premature releases to the general public only hurt Linux.
>
> IBM is right.

Ah! So you're saying that *IBM* is behind all the latest worms and viruses
plaguing Windohs?

--
-------------------------
| Jeffrey Silverman |

S.Heenan

Mar 18, 2004, 3:58:12 AM3/18/04
Dr allw wrote:
> IBM hopes to have 40,000 Linux desktop users within the company by
> year's end, according to Scott Handy, IBM's vice president of
> worldwide Linux strategy and market development.
>
> http://www.computerworld.com/newsletter/0,4902,91301,00.html?nlid=PM

No doubt it will be a smooth and effortless transition, like the 15,000 SuSe
desktops in Munich.

http://www.wired.com/news/infostructure/0,1377,62236,00.html

"Right now we are proceeding as planned, and we have no hints or signals
that the city counsel is regretting or reconsidering their decision to move
to Linux," Peter Hofmann, LiMux project manager

"...proceeding as planned..."

Philip Callan

Mar 18, 2004, 4:48:44 AM3/18/04

1. No doubt trying to get ANY company/place with 15,000 stations, and
probably in excess of 30k 'users' will present some difficulties, it
takes time to switch.

2. Porting closed source programs, and their proprietary data formats
seems to be more difficult than they had anticipated originally, you
detract from the fact, that once they COMPLETE this change over,
upgrading or porting applications and data will be a BREEZE, compared to
the locked proprietary standards of Microsoft.

3. They bought it once. No more licensing fees, and assurance programs
not shipping anything, or contracts that cover Microsofts ass in 101
ways, and try to take away any recourse the law did give you to begin with.

4. Even *Microsoft* couldn't argue this point to the people who know
what it means for their freedom, security, and financial benefit.

And thats after they *lowered* the price, and tried to sweeten the deal,
it's not always about the 'Almighty Dollar' or is that the Microsoft
Dollar(TM)

5. IBM was around long before MS, and if anyone can shift their systems,
IBM is the easiest to do it on, as they have years of aix/unix/dynix etc
experienced people, and are used to coding RELIABLE software.

Thanks for FUDding, it makes a nice lead for ADVOCATING.

The Ghost In The Machine

Mar 18, 2004, 12:00:43 PM3/18/04
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Popeye 'Bailo' Doyle
<jab...@earthlink.net>
wrote
on Wed, 17 Mar 2004 21:20:30 GMT
<8089fc1dae679a6d...@news.teranews.com>:

Well, we'll see. In any event, IBM probably will want to make
Linux as easy to use as Windows for the general public, so that
they can continue to sell hardware.

I still can't avoid paying the "Windows tax" with
IBM yet, at least not with the cheaper equipment.
The AIX workstation looks interesting, but very pricey
for my blood. It is possible IBM has a problem in that
department, too -- does IBM equipment stack up with generic
high-end x86 stuff (the same problem bedeviling Sun)?

Stay tuned.