To flatfish and other Wintrolls

1 view

Zach

Sep 28, 2003, 12:00:32 AM9/28/03
I find it simply amazing that you and the other Wintrolls have such a passion
for Windows and a distaste for Linux, yet you spend all your time in a news
group specifically for Linux. In the meantime, your own newsgroup
(comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy) has almost been completely abandoned and is but
a mere shell of its former self. Logic would dictate that your time would be
better spent advocating Windows in the Windows related groups because quite
frankly, MS needs people with your determination to praise it's products and
make them look good to others who feel that Gates and Ballmer are letting
them down, ignoring their needs and just creating overall chaos while telling
everyone that everything will be back under control after just another patch
or two.

I certainly understand your wanting to have converts on your side to say,
"Yes, I was once a Linuxaholic but I have seen the light and now nothing will
keep me from using Windows," while displaying a glassy, hypnotic expression.
Truth be known, you're not going to convert people in this NG simply because
of your attitude, misinformation and outright lies. Fact is, everytime you
talk about how superior Windows is, you get shot down with facts which not
only makes your look ignorant (dare I say, stupid), but it builds up Linux to
appear to the inexperienced user and neophyte for what it is...a trustworthy,
reliable, easy to use OS that doesn't lock them into having to put up with
viruses/worms/patches/ridiculous licensing issues/proprietary software and
many other concerns.

In essence, you and the others have helped the Linux cause and image far, far
more than you realize. For that, I thank you and I sincerely mean that. I
also what to thank you for the laughs; whenever I need a break, I know I can
tune into COLA and read your discussions that are not only genuinely funny,
but a great source of pride in knowing I made the right decision in going
with Linux.

Zach

Rich L. Smith

Sep 28, 2003, 2:36:42 AM9/28/03
Zach wrote:

> I find it simply amazing that you and the other Wintrolls have such a
> passion for Windows and a distaste for Linux, yet you spend all your time
> in a news
> group specifically for Linux. In the meantime, your own newsgroup
> (comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy) has almost been completely abandoned and is
> but
> a mere shell of its former self. Logic would dictate that your time would
> be better spent advocating Windows in the Windows related groups

Windows has 95% of the desktop market share. We don't need to promote
Windows. It is already number one. Our goal here is to prevent Linux from
growing among the newbies by countering Linux FUD. If you want to play
movies, games, and listen to songs, Windows is the platform for you!

> I certainly understand your wanting to have converts on your side to say,
> "Yes, I was once a Linuxaholic but I have seen the light and now nothing
> will keep me from using Windows," while displaying a glassy, hypnotic
> expression. Truth be known, you're not going to convert people in this NG
> simply because
> of your attitude, misinformation and outright lies.

We're not looking to convert. We don't want newbies to use Linux because it
is inferiour. Computing should be a good eXperience, and with Windows you
get it. If I can stop even just one newbie from using Linux, I've done my
job. We don't want the old Unix guru, we want the college students. Those
are the future of computing. Unix gurus are 5-10 years from retirement,
and then .NET will have no competition.

> Fact is, everytime
> you talk about how superior Windows is, you get shot down with facts which
> not only makes your look ignorant (dare I say, stupid), but it builds up
> Linux to appear to the inexperienced user and neophyte for what it is...a
> trustworthy, reliable, easy to use OS that doesn't lock them into having
> to put up with viruses/worms/patches/ridiculous licensing
> issues/proprietary software and many other concerns.

We never get shot down with facts. I've won so many arguments it isn't even
funny. How many times has a Lintroll had to resort to calling me an
"Idiot" because that German couldn't defend Linux with fact.

As for ease of use, finding files with text on a Unix system is compicated.
Could a newbie know this?

find /home -type f -print | xargs grep -l "text"

> In essence, you and the others have helped the Linux cause and image far,
> far
> more than you realize.

No, we are preventing Linux from growing by choking off advocacy with our
posts. If you spend 97% of your time countering our claims, you've already
lost. Just like when the RIAA puts fake files on Kazaa, we are making it
difficult to advocate linux.

BlaBla

Sep 28, 2003, 3:00:16 AM9/28/03
Rich L. Smith wrote:

<snip>

Take this as constructive criticism:

You've ridiculed yourself to no end with each and every post. You have zero
credibility under this nick and nothing you post has any effect on Linux
either way.

In fact, you're not even helping the Windows group. Most Winvocates, at the
very least, can come back with clever retort and spin the facts to try and
confuse the issues. You just confuse yourself and baffle the rest of us with
the infinite depths of your stupidity.

You're better off nymshifting to some other nick and starting again. Maybe
you should just go back to being "Windows Advocate".

--

x = 5; // this increments x by 5

"Your honor, here we see a piece of code that was copied verbatim from
our copyrighted source, including the comment ..."

greg

Sep 28, 2003, 3:01:13 AM9/28/03
On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 23:36:42 -0700, Rich L. Smith wrote:

> Zach wrote:
>

>> In essence, you and the others have helped the Linux cause and image far,
>> far
>> more than you realize.
>
> No, we are preventing Linux from growing by choking off advocacy with our
> posts. If you spend 97% of your time countering our claims, you've already
> lost. Just like when the RIAA puts fake files on Kazaa, we are making it
> difficult to advocate linux.

Well keep up the good work there trooper! ooops I mean Chief Warrant
Officer.

Yikes!You must have been exposed to that agent orange shit in Vietnam.
Right,Bob?
Are you off your meds again? Shouldn't you be back at American Lake?

Zach

Sep 28, 2003, 3:20:34 AM9/28/03
Rich L. Smith wrote:

> We're not looking to convert. We don't want newbies to use Linux because it
> is inferiour. Computing should be a good eXperience, and with Windows you
> get it. If I can stop even just one newbie from using Linux, I've done my
> job. We don't want the old Unix guru, we want the college students. Those
> are the future of computing. Unix gurus are 5-10 years from retirement,
> and then .NET will have no competition.

This is truly ironic. "If I can stop even just one newbie from using Linux,
I've done my job." Your job? You actually have a job that requires you to
FUD? You're being paid and/or compensated to "draft" college students into
your little Borg Society?

Needless to say, you have done very well in proving my point, especially with
a portion of your last line, "...and then .NET will have no competition."
That IS Microsoft in a nutshell. With just those few words, you have managed
to encapsulate exactly what MS is all about; no competition. You either
don't understand or are just too pig headed to realize that competition is
what drives the economy, innovation, inventiveness, etc. Competition is what
keeps prices down and quality up. In all honesty, do you really want one
company, one entity controlling so much that it could literally choke this
and other nations with a mere flick of a switch (figuratively speaking)?

This almost borders on brainwashing...you are not to be argued with but
instead, pitied. I will not waste my time (or yours) debating your points as
this is something that you really believe should come about...literally a
Borg Society.

It boggles the mind...

Zach

Wayne Throop

Sep 28, 2003, 4:23:29 AM9/28/03
: "Rich L. Smith" <rsmith...@hotmail.com>
: No, we are preventing Linux from growing by choking off advocacy with

: our posts. If you spend 97% of your time countering our claims,
: you've already lost. Just like when the RIAA puts fake files on
: Kazaa, we are making it difficult to advocate linux.

Sad how frightened you are of linux,
to spend your time "choking off advocacy".

Wayne Throop thr...@sheol.org http://sheol.org/throopw

Luca T.

Sep 28, 2003, 4:59:36 AM9/28/03
Rich L. Smith wrote:
> growing among the newbies by countering Linux FUD. If you want to play
> movies, games, and listen to songs, Windows is the platform for you!

Not only you show to be stupid, you also show to be ignorant.

Bye,
Luca

--
Linux registered user #291568 (http://counter.li.org/)
Electronic Frontier Foundation Member (http://www.eff.org/)

Erik Funkenbusch

Sep 28, 2003, 5:18:47 AM9/28/03

What boggles the mind is how you can be so easily taken in by his trolling.
Hint: He's saying whatever he thinks will get you riled up. And guess
what? It worked.

Erik Funkenbusch

Sep 28, 2003, 5:19:56 AM9/28/03
On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 08:23:29 GMT, Wayne Throop wrote:

>: "Rich L. Smith" <rsmith...@hotmail.com>
>: No, we are preventing Linux from growing by choking off advocacy with
>: our posts. If you spend 97% of your time countering our claims,
>: you've already lost. Just like when the RIAA puts fake files on
>: Kazaa, we are making it difficult to advocate linux.
>
> Sad how frightened you are of linux,
> to spend your time "choking off advocacy".

Wake up... he's not doing anything of the sort. He's simply feeding you
bullshit to get you to respond to him. He's nothing more than an attention
starved idiot.

Stop feeding him.

Terry

Sep 28, 2003, 5:34:24 AM9/28/03
Rich L. Smith threw some tea leaves on the floor
and this is what they wrote:

<deletia>

> If you spend 97% of your time countering our claims, you've already
> lost.

This much is true.

--
Kind Regards from Terry
My Desktop is powered by GNU/LinuX, Gentoo-1.4_rc2

Terry

Sep 28, 2003, 5:25:43 AM9/28/03
Zach threw some tea leaves on the floor

and this is what they wrote:

<deletia>

> but a great source of pride in knowing I made the right decision in going
> with Linux.
>
> Zach

Nice post Zach, and you raised some very logical points.

Years ago, some said that Flatfish, may be a reverse Wintroll, but I
have never believed it myself.

Rick

Sep 28, 2003, 7:15:13 AM9/28/03
On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 23:36:42 -0700, Rich L. Smith wrote:

> Zach wrote:
>
>> I find it simply amazing that you and the other Wintrolls have such a
>> passion for Windows and a distaste for Linux, yet you spend all your
>> time in a news
>> group specifically for Linux. In the meantime, your own newsgroup
>> (comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy) has almost been completely abandoned and
>> is but
>> a mere shell of its former self. Logic would dictate that your time
>> would be better spent advocating Windows in the Windows related groups
>
> Windows has 95% of the desktop market share. We don't need to promote
> Windows. It is already number one. Our goal here is to prevent Linux
> from growing among the newbies by countering Linux FUD. If you want to
> play movies, games, and listen to songs, Windows is the platform for you!

Execept for the movies I watch (last night it was Big Trouble in Little
China), games I play, and songs I listen to... all under Linux.

>> I certainly understand your wanting to have converts on your side to
>> say, "Yes, I was once a Linuxaholic but I have seen the light and now
>> nothing will keep me from using Windows," while displaying a glassy,
>> hypnotic expression. Truth be known, you're not going to convert people
>> in this NG simply because
>> of your attitude, misinformation and outright lies.
>
> We're not looking to convert. We don't want newbies to use Linux because
> it is inferiour.

Tell that to the US Government, Hollywood movie houses, Wall Street,
Germany, China, Japan, Korea, India and SOuth America.

> Computing should be a good eXperience, and with Windows
> you get it. If I can stop even just one newbie from using Linux, I've
> done my job. We don't want the old Unix guru, we want the college
> students. Those are the future of computing. Unix gurus are 5-10 years
> from retirement, and then .NET will have no competition.

.Net ?!?!?!? This is the same .Net that is not going anywhere at the
moment?

>> Fact is, everytime
>> you talk about how superior Windows is, you get shot down with facts
>> which not only makes your look ignorant (dare I say, stupid), but it
>> builds up Linux to appear to the inexperienced user and neophyte for
>> what it is...a trustworthy, reliable, easy to use OS that doesn't lock
>> them into having to put up with viruses/worms/patches/ridiculous
>> licensing issues/proprietary software and many other concerns.
>
> We never get shot down with facts. I've won so many arguments it isn't
> even funny.

No, you are funny now. ahah ahahha ahahahahah ahahah

> How many times has a Lintroll had to resort to calling me an
> "Idiot" because that German couldn't defend Linux with fact.
>
> As for ease of use, finding files with text on a Unix system is
> compicated. Could a newbie know this?
>
> find /home -type f -print | xargs grep -l "text"

Why should he have to?

>> In essence, you and the others have helped the Linux cause and image
>> far, far
>> more than you realize.
>
> No, we are preventing Linux from growing by choking off advocacy with our
> posts. If you spend 97% of your time countering our claims, you've
> already lost. Just like when the RIAA puts fake files on Kazaa,

RIAA.. you mean those people that sue the wrong people, or sue 12 year old
girls instead of educating them and turning them into advocates... that
RIAA? Or do you mean the RIAA that corrupts files witht he intent of
having those corrupt files end up on users's computers without the
slightest proof those users are doing anything illegal?

> we are making it difficult to advocate linux.

You spread lies.

--
Rick

sqr

Sep 28, 2003, 7:25:53 AM9/28/03
<snip>

More garbage from an Linux loser. Haven't you heard Linux makes you stupid

--
sqr
--

"BlaBla" <bla...@forget.it.dude> wrote in message

sqr

Sep 28, 2003, 7:27:12 AM9/28/03
Man oh man are you that gullible?

"Zach" <za...@zcsmith.com.nospam> wrote in message

Linønut

Sep 28, 2003, 10:18:07 AM9/28/03
While restarting Outlook, sqr grumbled:

> <snip>
>
> More garbage from an Linux loser. Haven't you heard Linux makes you stupid

Coming from you, that's an endorsement of Linux. Thanks!

--
Windows desktops and servers can find a safe haven on a
GNU/Linux/FreeBSD network!

Zach

Sep 28, 2003, 10:39:22 AM9/28/03
Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> What boggles the mind is how you can be so easily taken in by his trolling.
> Hint: He's saying whatever he thinks will get you riled up. And guess
> what? It worked.

Actually, it did work but not in the way you describe. You see, I know these
(you?) Wintrolls are full of more shit than a Christmas goose but if one
comes off sounding like a statesman in order to lure your opponent into
revealing their true beliefs then it is they (you) that are easily taken in.
This post was started in order to flush the trolls more into the open. While
I calmly and eloquently make my arguements, it is they that are sucked into
defending their "beliefs" in a more civilized manner (without the "Linux
makes you stupid" comments) and in doing so, come off sounding even more
foolish because you're trying to be serious.

You of course knew all this and were just playing along...right?

I am not one to get "riled" over a debate between Linux and Windows although I
have been known to go on the offensive in other areas. But I must say,
playing the Wintrolls is a lot of fun...especially when they have no idea
their being duped.

Yes, it still boggles the mind...

Please feel free to respond in the usual Wintroll way.

Zach

BlaBla

Sep 28, 2003, 10:46:30 AM9/28/03
sqr wrote:
> <snip>
>
> More garbage from an Linux loser. Haven't you heard Linux makes you
> stupid
>
> --
> sqr

What exactly did you <snip> up there when you top-posted, sport?

At least you're not posting your usual drunken incoherent babble.

Tattoo Vampire

Sep 28, 2003, 10:48:24 AM9/28/03
Rich L. Smith posted:

> Our goal here is to prevent Linux from
> growing among the newbies

And you've failed, and will continue to fail, miserably.
--
[tv]

Microsoft software doesn't get released - it escapes, leaving
a trail of destruction behind it.

Liam Slider

Sep 28, 2003, 11:00:45 AM9/28/03
Zach wrote:
<snip>

> This almost borders on brainwashing...you are not to be argued with but
> instead, pitied. I will not waste my time (or yours) debating your points as
> this is something that you really believe should come about...literally a
> Borg Society.
>
> It boggles the mind...

It's a cult.

--
"Sure, the lion is king of the jungle - but airdrop him into Antarctica,
and he's just a penguin's bitch." -- Dennis Miller

Liam Slider

Sep 28, 2003, 11:01:55 AM9/28/03

So....what are you?

Peter Köhlmann

Sep 28, 2003, 11:48:36 AM9/28/03
The lying thief flat...@linuxmail.org wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 04:00:32 GMT, Zach <za...@zcsmith.com.nospam> wrote:
>
>>I find it simply amazing that you and the other Wintrolls have such a
>>passion for Windows and a distaste for Linux, yet you spend all your
>>time in a news group specifically for Linux.
>

> 1. I don't hate Linux.

So you are (again) trying to establish this
Seems the new SuSE ahead to test for flatfish necessitates this "change of
mind"

Sorry, imbecile, does not work. You tried this routine too often now

< snip more flatfish lies >
--
Who the fuck is General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?

Peter Köhlmann

Sep 28, 2003, 12:24:34 PM9/28/03
flat...@linuxmail.org wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 19:25:43 +1000, Terry <tjpo...@gronk.porter.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Zach threw some tea leaves on the floor
>> and this is what they wrote:
>>
>><deletia>
>>> but a great source of pride in knowing I made the right decision in
>>> going with Linux.
>>>
>>> Zach
>>
>>Nice post Zach, and you raised some very logical points.
>>
>>Years ago, some said that Flatfish, may be a reverse Wintroll, but I
>>have never believed it myself.
>

> I use both Windows and Linux and have pointed out the problems with both
> of them.
> I don't advocate either one but prefer to let the end user pick the
> applications and then pick the operating system to run them under.
>
> I use what works for me.
>
> flatfish+++

Quit lying, thief
--
You're not my type. For that matter, you're not even my species

Liam Slider

Sep 28, 2003, 12:30:27 PM9/28/03
flat...@linuxmail.org wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 19:25:43 +1000, Terry <tjpo...@gronk.porter.net>
> wrote:
>

>>Zach threw some tea leaves on the floor
>>and this is what they wrote:
>>
>><deletia>
>>
>>>but a great source of pride in knowing I made the right decision in going
>>>with Linux.
>>>
>>>Zach
>>
>>Nice post Zach, and you raised some very logical points.
>>
>>Years ago, some said that Flatfish, may be a reverse Wintroll, but I
>>have never believed it myself.
>

> I use both Windows and Linux and have pointed out the problems with both of
> them.

No you use Windows and you *appairently* have Linux for the sole purpose
of intentionally trying to fuck it up as much as possible to *prove* how
hard hard it is to use...

> I don't advocate either one but prefer to let the end user pick the
> applications and then pick the operating system to run them under.

Liar.

Liam Slider

Sep 28, 2003, 12:39:09 PM9/28/03
flat...@linuxmail.org wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 04:00:32 GMT, Zach <za...@zcsmith.com.nospam> wrote:
>

>>I find it simply amazing that you and the other Wintrolls have such a passion
>>for Windows and a distaste for Linux, yet you spend all your time in a news
>>group specifically for Linux.
>

> 1. I don't hate Linux.

Then why bash it? Why constantly spread lies and FUD?

> 2. This group is hysterical. Pure entertainment and nothing more or less.
> Even the people in my local LUG laugh at this place.

Yeah I can see you at a LUG...not.

<snip>

> I don't advocate Windows at all.

Liar.

> I live with Windows, put up with it's problems because other than Mac, I
> really have no choice.

Linux is a choice. Oh wait, it isn't as good as Windows at certaiin
typesw of pro audio work and so doesn't have the software needed that
you can pirate (like the software on your Windows machine). Macs do, but
you'd have to steal a whole Mac and you're not nup to that...

Thief.

<snop>

> Obviously a lot of people would rather pay for software than use free Linux
> applications or Linux would have a much higher market share than it does.

Or like you, steal commercial applications.

Oh and of course we just forget that Windows has maintained a monopoly
illegally, using mafia style tactics.

>>In essence, you and the others have helped the Linux cause and image far, far
>>more than you realize.
>

> And some of the "advocates" in COLA have hurt it as well.

Bullshit.

>>For that, I thank you and I sincerely mean that. I
>>also what to thank you for the laughs; whenever I need a break, I know I can
>>tune into COLA and read your discussions that are not only genuinely funny,
>>but a great source of pride in knowing I made the right decision in going
>>with Linux.
>

> If Linux works for you then yes, you have made the right decision.

One of the few smart things you've said.

Stephen Edwards

Sep 28, 2003, 1:19:54 PM9/28/03
"Rich L. Smith" <rsmith...@hotmail.com> wrote in

When I used to advocate NT4, I tried to be rational, and
reasonable. What the hell has happened to you people?

Apparently, the last remaining NT users who had a clue
either migrated away from NT, or simply stopped posting
to USENET altogether.

> Zach wrote:
>
>> I find it simply amazing that you and the other Wintrolls have such a
>> passion for Windows and a distaste for Linux, yet you spend all your
>> time in a news
>> group specifically for Linux. In the meantime, your own newsgroup
>> (comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy) has almost been completely abandoned
>> and is but
>> a mere shell of its former self. Logic would dictate that your time
>> would be better spent advocating Windows in the Windows related
>> groups
>
> Windows has 95% of the desktop market share. We don't need to promote
> Windows. It is already number one. Our goal here is to prevent Linux
> from growing among the newbies by countering Linux FUD. If you want
> to play movies, games, and listen to songs, Windows is the platform
> for you!

This is absolutely absurd. I can play movies and listen to MP3's
just fine on my Indigo2. As for games... well, I don't waste my
computers on playing games... I have an XBOX for that.

You see, most of us are actual *professionals* using our systems
for things that people like you apparently couldn't possibly
comprehend.

Your goal is merely to spew forth crapola, AFAICT.

>> I certainly understand your wanting to have converts on your side to
>> say, "Yes, I was once a Linuxaholic but I have seen the light and now
>> nothing will keep me from using Windows," while displaying a glassy,
>> hypnotic expression. Truth be known, you're not going to convert
>> people in this NG simply because
>> of your attitude, misinformation and outright lies.
>
> We're not looking to convert. We don't want newbies to use Linux
> because it is inferiour. Computing should be a good eXperience, and

How is Linux inferior? Granted, I can point out reasons why I
prefer NetBSD over Linux, but I'm curious, do you even have a
clue about the topics which you speak of?

> with Windows you get it. If I can stop even just one newbie from
> using Linux, I've done my job. We don't want the old Unix guru, we

No. You've wasted your time, when it could be better spent doing
something useful, like writing a useful piece of software[0], etc.

> want the college students. Those are the future of computing. Unix
> gurus are 5-10 years from retirement, and then .NET will have no
> competition.

Uh huh. Sure. If you wish to live in this ridiculous gumdrop house
of yours, please, indulge yourself. Far be it from me to expose you
to the realities of life.

>> Fact is, everytime
>> you talk about how superior Windows is, you get shot down with facts
>> which not only makes your look ignorant (dare I say, stupid), but it
>> builds up Linux to appear to the inexperienced user and neophyte for
>> what it is...a trustworthy, reliable, easy to use OS that doesn't
>> lock them into having to put up with viruses/worms/patches/ridiculous
>> licensing issues/proprietary software and many other concerns.
>
> We never get shot down with facts. I've won so many arguments it
> isn't even funny. How many times has a Lintroll had to resort to
> calling me an "Idiot" because that German couldn't defend Linux with
> fact.

Maybe they're just calling you an idiot, because you're an idiot.

> As for ease of use, finding files with text on a Unix system is
> compicated. Could a newbie know this?
>
> find /home -type f -print | xargs grep -l "text"

Okay. Could a Windows newbie know this?

at \\gravitar 00:05 /interactive /every:date M,W,F contig -v -s C:\*

>> In essence, you and the others have helped the Linux cause and image
>> far, far
>> more than you realize.
>
> No, we are preventing Linux from growing by choking off advocacy with
> our posts. If you spend 97% of your time countering our claims,

Why? Why do you care if Linux grows in popularity. It doesn't
affect you.

[0] I suspect someone like you might be too inept for such tasks,
however.
--
while ((remote_users == "GUI-dependent PeeCee/Macintrash monkeys") == 0) {
strcpy (myusername, "01100001 01101110 01100001 01101101"); // decode

The Onion Man

Sep 28, 2003, 2:38:11 PM9/28/03
In a strange voice, Rich L. Smith said:

> Could a newbie know this?
>
> find /home -type f -print | xargs grep -l "text"

This is my point - I don't know why there isn't a GUI way of doing this...
hell it looks like the sort of thing even I could do if I wasn't such a
lazy git.

--
Ian

So I like Linux & onions. You got a problem with that?

paul cooke

Sep 28, 2003, 2:40:02 PM9/28/03
The Onion Man wrote:

> In a strange voice, Rich L. Smith said:
>
>> Could a newbie know this?
>>
>> find /home -type f -print | xargs grep -l "text"
>
> This is my point - I don't know why there isn't a GUI way of doing this...
> hell it looks like the sort of thing even I could do if I wasn't such a
> lazy git.

konqueror has a find files tool to search for files that contain the
required "text" string...

--
COMPUTER POWER TO THE PEOPLE! DOWN WITH CYBERCRUD!

Stephen Edwards

Sep 28, 2003, 2:48:15 PM9/28/03
"The Onion Man" <IanP...@netscamybrainspe.net> wrote in

> In a strange voice, Rich L. Smith said:
>
>> Could a newbie know this?
>>
>> find /home -type f -print | xargs grep -l "text"
>
> This is my point - I don't know why there isn't a GUI way of doing
> this... hell it looks like the sort of thing even I could do if I
> wasn't such a lazy git.

And that's the real issue, isn't it.

Peter Köhlmann

Sep 28, 2003, 2:47:03 PM9/28/03
flat...@linuxmail.org wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 17:48:36 +0200, Peter Köhlmann
> <Peter.K...@t-online.de> wrote:
>
>>The lying thief flat...@linuxmail.org wrote:

>>> 1. I don't hate Linux.
>>
>>So you are (again) trying to establish this
>>Seems the new SuSE ahead to test for flatfish necessitates this "change
>>of mind"
>

> I gave a 5 "starfish" review to the last version of SuSE.
> Nothing wrong with it assuming the applications fit what the user needs
> and wants.
>
> When a new one comes out I will review it as well.

Sure you will, liar

> Unless they have managed to screw up, which I doubt because SuSE is
> better than most, there is no reason why it won't get 5 stars as well.

And then you will start to slam linux in general, as you always do, liar

>>Sorry, imbecile, does not work. You tried this routine too often now
>

> What routine?

This "I am trying earnestly this linux-thingy" routine. You did it several
times too often by now.

> I call them as I see them and I don't have rose colored spectacles on
> like you do.

Idiot. And liar. And thief, naturally
How is your illegal XP doing, flatfart?
--
Any idiot can run XP. And usually does.

Erik Funkenbusch

Sep 28, 2003, 3:50:28 PM9/28/03
On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 17:19:54 -0000, Stephen Edwards wrote:
> When I used to advocate NT4, I tried to be rational, and
> reasonable. What the hell has happened to you people?
>
> Apparently, the last remaining NT users who had a clue
> either migrated away from NT, or simply stopped posting
> to USENET altogether.

No, "Rich L. Smith" is just a troll. He's not a windows advocate of any
type. His sole goal is to gain as much reaction from people as he can. He
even *USES* linux. His recent messages he's used the feature of one of the
Linux news readers to change his news agent string to say "Outlook 6" which
is of course not a valid Outlook news agent string.

Peter Köhlmann

Sep 28, 2003, 3:50:25 PM9/28/03
flat...@linuxmail.org wrote:

< snip >

>>> When a new one comes out I will review it as well.
>>
>>Sure you will, liar
>

> So that means my positive reviews of SuSE are lies as well.
>
> Thanks for clearing that point up.

You do no positive reviews of anything linux, liar
At best you fake it for some days or weeks, just to fall back to your
usual slam routine.

>>> Unless they have managed to screw up, which I doubt because SuSE is
>>> better than most, there is no reason why it won't get 5 stars as well.
>>>

>>And then you will start to slam linux in general, as you always do, liar
>

> I tell it like it is.

Sure you do. In your flat mind

>>> What routine?
>>>

>>This "I am trying earnestly this linux-thingy" routine. You did it
>>several times too often by now.
>>
>>> I call them as I see them and I don't have rose colored spectacles on
>>> like you do.
>>
>>Idiot. And liar. And thief, naturally
>>How is your illegal XP doing, flatfart?
>

> My copy of XP is perfectly legal.
> flatfish+++

No. It never was. It is as good as stolen
--
Microsoft's Guide To System Design:
It could be worse, but it'll take time.

Richard Burton

Sep 28, 2003, 4:06:47 PM9/28/03
flat...@linuxmail.org wrote:
>>> 2. This group is hysterical. Pure entertainment and nothing more or
>>> less.
>>> Even the people in my local LUG laugh at this place.
>>
>>Yeah I can see you at a LUG...not.
>
> We go all the time.
> Nice bunch of people.

it think in flatty's case LUG = lonely ugly girls.

Erik Funkenbusch

Sep 28, 2003, 4:12:38 PM9/28/03
On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 14:39:22 GMT, Zach wrote:

> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>
>> What boggles the mind is how you can be so easily taken in by his trolling.
>> Hint: He's saying whatever he thinks will get you riled up. And guess
>> what? It worked.
>
> Actually, it did work but not in the way you describe. You see, I know these
> (you?) Wintrolls are full of more shit than a Christmas goose but if one
> comes off sounding like a statesman in order to lure your opponent into
> revealing their true beliefs then it is they (you) that are easily taken in.

You're being an absolute idiot. He's not a "wintroll" of any type. He
doesn't even *USE* windows, he uses Linux. He's a troll, full stop,
period. He knows that Linux users are paranoid and easy to aggravate, and
you're falling for his line hook line and sinker, even when you think you
aren't.

Congratulations for being one of the most gullible people in COLA.

> This post was started in order to flush the trolls more into the open. While
> I calmly and eloquently make my arguements, it is they that are sucked into
> defending their "beliefs" in a more civilized manner (without the "Linux
> makes you stupid" comments) and in doing so, come off sounding even more
> foolish because you're trying to be serious.

He *IS* out in the open, you aren't "flushing" anyone out. His only
"belief" here is that you're more than willing to feed him. He doesn't
care about being "foolish", he only cares about inciting reaction.

> You of course knew all this and were just playing along...right?

You're still being taken in by him, because you think he's a "wintroll".
Look at his headers, it says "Oulook 6" which isn't a valid news agent
string for Outlook. He's using knode and altering the agent string.

> I am not one to get "riled" over a debate between Linux and Windows although I
> have been known to go on the offensive in other areas. But I must say,
> playing the Wintrolls is a lot of fun...especially when they have no idea
> their being duped.

You're the one being duped here.

Peter Köhlmann

Sep 28, 2003, 4:11:57 PM9/28/03
Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 17:19:54 -0000, Stephen Edwards wrote:
>> When I used to advocate NT4, I tried to be rational, and
>> reasonable. What the hell has happened to you people?
>>
>> Apparently, the last remaining NT users who had a clue
>> either migrated away from NT, or simply stopped posting
>> to USENET altogether.
>
> No, "Rich L. Smith" is just a troll. He's not a windows advocate of any
> type. His sole goal is to gain as much reaction from people as he can.

He is a windows advocate. Just one of the poorer sort. slightly below
flatfish level or sqr level

> He
> even *USES* linux. His recent messages he's used the feature of one of
> the Linux news readers to change his news agent string to say "Outlook
> 6" which is of course not a valid Outlook news agent string.

And? Since when has the newsreader anyt meaning? What you post is of
importance. Although using OE means that the poster is on the dumber side

Face it, Erik, this poor excuse of a wintroll *is* a wintroll, although a
real stupid one: Did not even qualify for your FUDster team, I guess
--
We may not return the affection of those who like us,
but we always respect their good judgement.

Peter Köhlmann

Sep 28, 2003, 4:22:23 PM9/28/03
Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 14:39:22 GMT, Zach wrote:
>
>> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>>
>>> What boggles the mind is how you can be so easily taken in by his
>>> trolling.
>>> Hint: He's saying whatever he thinks will get you riled up. And
>>> guess
>>> what? It worked.
>>
>> Actually, it did work but not in the way you describe. You see, I know
>> these (you?) Wintrolls are full of more shit than a Christmas goose but
>> if one comes off sounding like a statesman in order to lure your
>> opponent into revealing their true beliefs then it is they (you) that
>> are easily taken in.
>
> You're being an absolute idiot. He's not a "wintroll" of any type. He
> doesn't even *USE* windows, he uses Linux. He's a troll, full stop,
> period. He knows that Linux users are paranoid and easy to aggravate,
> and you're falling for his line hook line and sinker, even when you
> think you aren't.

Prove that he uses linux. I am quite sure he does not

> Congratulations for being one of the most gullible people in COLA.

Same to you

>> This post was started in order to flush the trolls more into the open.
>> While I calmly and eloquently make my arguements, it is they that are
>> sucked into defending their "beliefs" in a more civilized manner
>> (without the "Linux makes you stupid" comments) and in doing so, come
>> off sounding even more foolish because you're trying to be serious.
>
> He *IS* out in the open, you aren't "flushing" anyone out. His only
> "belief" here is that you're more than willing to feed him. He doesn't
> care about being "foolish", he only cares about inciting reaction.
>
>> You of course knew all this and were just playing along...right?
>
> You're still being taken in by him, because you think he's a "wintroll".
> Look at his headers, it says "Oulook 6" which isn't a valid news agent
> string for Outlook. He's using knode and altering the agent string.

Tell us Erik, how do you alter the agent string in KNode?
It is doable, but not as simple as in Konqueror

>> I am not one to get "riled" over a debate between Linux and Windows
>> although I
>> have been known to go on the offensive in other areas. But I must say,
>> playing the Wintrolls is a lot of fun...especially when they have no
>> idea their being duped.
>
> You're the one being duped here.

I don't think so. To me it seems you are
--
Experience is what causes a person to make new mistakes instead of
old ones.

Erik Funkenbusch

Sep 28, 2003, 4:27:43 PM9/28/03
On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 22:22:23 +0200, Peter Köhlmann wrote:

> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

>>> Actually, it did work but not in the way you describe. You see, I know
>>> these (you?) Wintrolls are full of more shit than a Christmas goose but
>>> if one comes off sounding like a statesman in order to lure your
>>> opponent into revealing their true beliefs then it is they (you) that
>>> are easily taken in.
>>
>> You're being an absolute idiot. He's not a "wintroll" of any type. He
>> doesn't even *USE* windows, he uses Linux. He's a troll, full stop,
>> period. He knows that Linux users are paranoid and easy to aggravate,
>> and you're falling for his line hook line and sinker, even when you
>> think you aren't.
>
> Prove that he uses linux. I am quite sure he does not

He has never posted a message from a Windows machine yet. Most of his
earlier messages were posted with a version of Pan that was nearly
impossible to use in the Windows version. He then switched to Knode, which
doesn't run under Windows at all, and now he's using a news agent string
which isn't valid. I know of no news agent for Windows that allows you to
alter it's news agent string.

While it's true, he could be using a *BSD or other Unix, it's more likely
he's using Linux.

>> Congratulations for being one of the most gullible people in COLA.
>
> Same to you

Are you 12?

>>> This post was started in order to flush the trolls more into the open.
>>> While I calmly and eloquently make my arguements, it is they that are
>>> sucked into defending their "beliefs" in a more civilized manner
>>> (without the "Linux makes you stupid" comments) and in doing so, come
>>> off sounding even more foolish because you're trying to be serious.
>>
>> He *IS* out in the open, you aren't "flushing" anyone out. His only
>> "belief" here is that you're more than willing to feed him. He doesn't
>> care about being "foolish", he only cares about inciting reaction.
>>
>>> You of course knew all this and were just playing along...right?
>>
>> You're still being taken in by him, because you think he's a "wintroll".
>> Look at his headers, it says "Oulook 6" which isn't a valid news agent
>> string for Outlook. He's using knode and altering the agent string.
>
> Tell us Erik, how do you alter the agent string in KNode?
> It is doable, but not as simple as in Konqueror

And what's your point? You can't alter it at all in any Windows news
reader I know of.

>>> I am not one to get "riled" over a debate between Linux and Windows
>>> although I
>>> have been known to go on the offensive in other areas. But I must say,
>>> playing the Wintrolls is a lot of fun...especially when they have no
>>> idea their being duped.
>>
>> You're the one being duped here.
>
> I don't think so. To me it seems you are

Of course it does, because you're an arrogant asshole.

Peter Köhlmann

Sep 28, 2003, 4:35:10 PM9/28/03
Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

< snip >

>> Tell us Erik, how do you alter the agent string in KNode?
>> It is doable, but not as simple as in Konqueror
>
> And what's your point? You can't alter it at all in any Windows news
> reader I know of.

Tell us Erik how to do it. Don't tell me what you can't do in windows
Here's a hint: KNode itself has *no* (meaning zero, nada, zilch) setup
possibility to change the agent string

And don't tell me you don't know of the many windows tools which would let
you put whatever you want into the headers.
Hint #2: It is not necessary to have it in the program itself

>>> You're the one being duped here.
>>
>> I don't think so. To me it seems you are
>
> Of course it does, because you're an arrogant asshole.

Better be an arrogant asshole than a stupid liar and FUDder like you

Tell us Erik, wheren't you on the verge of supplying the list of the
"several exploits" for Pine, Mud and Netscape? The one you told us is so
overwhelmingly simple to find?
Must be as simple as to find the "dozens of root exploits" you told us
about earlier
--
Microsoft: The company that made email dangerous

Ichimusai

Sep 28, 2003, 4:49:49 PM9/28/03
If you can not read this post, go to http://ichimusai.org/oe/
begin "Erik" == Erik Funkenbusch <er...@despam-funkenbusch.com>
murmurs:

> And what's your point? You can't alter it at all in any Windows news
> reader I know of.

Gnus allows it regardless of OS. Isn't tin and slrn possible to
compile and use in a cygwin-like environment?

It is also trivial to do a search and replace in the outbound queues
of most offline readers if you really want to.

--
Ichimusai - Tolerated by two cats. http://www.ichimusai.org/ ICQ: 1645566
10:45pm up 6:26, 1 user, load average: 0.04, 0.10, 0.08

The Troll

Sep 28, 2003, 7:18:42 PM9/28/03
On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 21:50:25 +0200, The Troll's next target is Peter
Köhlmann.

> flat...@linuxmail.org wrote:
>> I tell it like it is.
>>

> Sure you do. In your flat mind

flatfart tells it like MS pays him to tell it.

Peter Köhlmann

Sep 28, 2003, 7:47:05 PM9/28/03
flat...@linuxmail.org wrote:

> Prove it.
>
> flatfish+++

Prove you don't

Terry

Sep 28, 2003, 8:01:54 PM9/28/03
flat...@linuxmail.org threw some tea leaves on the floor

and this is what they wrote:

<deletia>

> I use both Windows and Linux and have pointed out the problems with both of
> them.

Nio. Youve pointed out *your* problems, real or contrived.

> I don't advocate either one but prefer to let the end user pick the
> applications and then pick the operating system to run them under.

Bullshit.

> I use what works for me.

Windows seems to work for you Gary.

> flatfish+++

Why are you here again ?
--
Kind Regards from Terry
My Desktop is powered by GNU/LinuX, Gentoo-1.4_rc2
New Homepage: http://milkstone.d2.net.au/
** Linux Registration Number: 103931, http://counter.li.org **

Terry

Sep 28, 2003, 8:00:17 PM9/28/03

From: flatfish+++ <flat...@nowhere.somewhere
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Now my network is working...
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 23:39:17 GMT
>Pete doesnt realize that the font size is indeed tweakable.
But I do and no matter how much tweaking Linux still looks like shit.
Shame Linux sucks so bad.
>Stick with windows. It obviously suits you.
And it works as well which is more than can be said about Linux.
>And you too, flatfish. Why are you even attempting to use linux?
To prove that you zealots are out of your minds.

From: flatfish+++ <flat...@nowhere.somewhere
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: So you wanna run Linux? How much is your time worth?
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 00:20:14 GMT

And OSS expects me to pay for this sewerage?

Are they kidding? Look here for the mess:

http://www.alsa-project.org
http://www.midiman.com/drivers.htm

> 2. This group is hysterical. Pure entertainment and nothing more or less.
> Even the people in my local LUG laugh at this place.

Sure they do.

>> In the meantime, your own newsgroup
>>(comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy) has almost been completely abandoned and is but
>>a mere shell of its former self.
>

> It's a wasteland of people asking the same questions over and over again.
> Sadly, this is the audience that Linux has to attract if it wants to take
> over the desktop.

GNU/Linux doesnt *want* to do anything, and on cola we want to advocate
GNU/Linux , why are *you* here ?

>> Logic would dictate that your time would be

>>better spent advocating Windows in the Windows related groups because quite
>>frankly, MS needs people with your determination to praise it's products and
>>make them look good to others who feel that Gates and Ballmer are letting
>>them down, ignoring their needs and just creating overall chaos while telling
>>everyone that everything will be back under control after just another patch
>>or two.

> I don't advocate Windows at all.

Bwahahahahaha!

> I live with Windows, put up with it's problems because other than Mac, I
> really have no choice.

And youve tried the mac and posted quite a biit on the mac groups as
well

> It's better, at this point to deal with Windows than do without my
> applications and run Linux.

It may be for you Gary, but not everyone runs a "small studio" using
proprietary sound gear and Windows.

Want to see a *profesional* sound studio ?
http://www.kgw.tu-berlin.de/KW/Studio/Studio.html

It uses GNU/Linux and Macs not like your *toy* home Windows studio.

<deletia>

> Obviously a lot of people would rather pay for software

You're not one of them tho.

> than use free Linux
> applications or Linux would have a much higher market share than it does.
>

>>In essence, you and the others have helped the Linux cause and image far, far
>>more than you realize.
>

> And some of the "advocates" in COLA have hurt it as well.

Some of the *advocates* have been Wintrolls.

>>For that, I thank you and I sincerely mean that. I
>>also what to thank you for the laughs; whenever I need a break, I know I can
>>tune into COLA and read your discussions that are not only genuinely funny,
>>but a great source of pride in knowing I made the right decision in going
>>with Linux.
>
> If Linux works for you

GNU/Linux works for many *millions* of users, can you say Munich ?

Roy Culley

Sep 28, 2003, 8:08:25 PM9/28/03
begin <bl7rst$6bt$02$3...@news.t-online.com>,

Peter =?ISO-8859-15?Q?K=F6hlmann?= <Peter.K...@t-online.de> writes:
> flat...@linuxmail.org wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 18:18:42 -0500, The Troll
>>
>>>On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 21:50:25 +0200, The Troll's next target is Peter
>>>Köhlmann.

>>>flatfart tells it like MS pays him to tell it.
>>
>> Prove it.
>
> Prove you don't

For all their faults I don't think even MS would want to be associated
with a low life lying thief such as s/h/it.

Sinister Midget

Sep 28, 2003, 8:10:01 PM9/28/03
As Erik Funkenbusch so eloquently gibbered on Sun, 28 Sep 2003 at 20:27 GMT:

> On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 22:22:23 +0200, Peter Köhlmann wrote:

>> Tell us Erik, how do you alter the agent string in KNode?
>> It is doable, but not as simple as in Konqueror
>
> And what's your point? You can't alter it at all in any Windows news
> reader I know of.

I don't recall the name, but several of the Windozers have started
using a program that can have the agent string changed. In fact,
they're doing that exact thing to overcome some of the shortsheeting
MICROS~1 built into the Outhouse family of products, particularly the
crash bug (which is all the more reason to continue using it). They're
having great laughs about having to go through a lot of gyrations to
pretend they're not going through a lot of gyrations.

It's pretty funny, if you ask me.

I'll see again if I can locate the name of the program.

--
It is easier to fix Linux than it is to live with XP.

Rich L. Smith

Sep 28, 2003, 8:12:07 PM9/28/03
Peter Köhlmann wrote:

> flat...@linuxmail.org wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 18:18:42 -0500, The Troll
>>
>>>On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 21:50:25 +0200, The Troll's next target is Peter
>>>Köhlmann.

>>>flatfart tells it like MS pays him to tell it.
>>

>> Prove it.
>>
>> flatfish+++
>
> Prove you don't

You can't prove a negative. Dummy. Idiot. Go back to school and they'll
tell you why that is.

Zach

Sep 28, 2003, 8:21:19 PM9/28/03
Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

Erik, Erik, Erik...

You've got to calm down son; I'm sure your keyboard is feeling your pain (or
do you scream at ViaVoice?). Take a couple of deep breaths...relax...get
that ol' blood pressure down. Feel a little better now? Good!

Seems you have misread the original heading of my post. Let me go through it
with you...it says, "To flatfish and other Wintrolls". Do you see the little
"s" at the end of "Wintrolls"? That makes the word plural (in other words,
more than one). I only used flatfish as this is a highly recognized name in
this group but any Wintroll name would do. My posts are not solely directed
at him (her?) but all the MS mother FUDders in this group. I would welcome
an INTELLIGENT and MATURE debate/discussion on the pros and cons of either OS
but that simply will not happen as long as the radical Wintrolls sling their
FUD (Fucking Unbelievable Deception) wherever they go.

Since this is the case, I will take advantage of them (and you) by having a
little fun (and I AM having a good time at your expense). As for me being an
idiot, gullible and duped...I don't think so but hey, if it makes you feel
better and gives you warm fuzzies then yes; I am gullible and you've duped me
beyond belief. Boy, do I feel like an idiot.

By the way, and this is a legitimate request, can you tell me how to change
the agent string in KNode? I've looked but gosh durn it, I just can't find
how to do it. TIA!

Zach

BlaBla

Sep 28, 2003, 8:24:02 PM9/28/03

http://www.graveyardofthegods.net/articles/cantprovenegative.html

--

x = 5; // this increments x by 5

"Your honor, here we see a piece of code that was copied verbatim from
our copyrighted source, including the comment ..."

Tattoo Vampire

Sep 28, 2003, 8:55:17 PM9/28/03
Bitch L. Smith posted:

[blah]
--
[tv]

Microsoft software doesn't get released - it escapes, leaving
a trail of destruction behind it.

Terry

Sep 28, 2003, 8:21:01 PM9/28/03
and this is what they wrote:

>>> I gave a 5 "starfish" review to the last version of SuSE.
>>> Nothing wrong with it assuming the applications fit what the user needs
>>> and wants.
>>>
>>> When a new one comes out I will review it as well.
>>
>>Sure you will, liar
>

> So that means my positive reviews of SuSE are lies as well.
>
> Thanks for clearing that point up.
>

>>> Unless they have managed to screw up, which I doubt because SuSE is
>>> better than most, there is no reason why it won't get 5 stars as well.
>>>

>>And then you will start to slam linux in general, as you always do, liar
>

> I tell it like it is.

Only the way it *is* for a Wintroll.

>>> What routine?

See below.

>>This "I am trying earnestly this linux-thingy" routine. You did it several
>>times too often by now.
>>
>>> I call them as I see them and I don't have rose colored spectacles on
>>> like you do.

You have MICROS~1 coloured spectacles.

>>Idiot. And liar. And thief, naturally
>>How is your illegal XP doing, flatfart?
>

> My copy of XP is perfectly legal.

No its not.
It was stolen from your *ex* employer, using his "site licence".
> flatfish+++

Some background on the Wintroll, thief and liar
Flatfish whose real name is Gary otherwise known as:-

Steve/Mike/Simon/teknite/keymaster/keys88/"S"/Sponge/Syphon/Sarek/
"Sewer Rat"/steveno/scummer/McSwain/Swango/pickle_pete/piddy/
"leg log"/wazzoo/Whore(Slut)/mike_hunt/Heather/Amy/claire_lynn/
susie_wong/Ishmeal_hafizi/"Saul Goldblatt"/Proculous/Tiberious/
whparker/Jerry_Butler/"Tim Palmer"/BklynBoy/bison/Wobbles/
screwbilk/deadpenguin/"%^$&&&&&&&&&&&&@!!!!!!!!!!!!!.com"/
The Cat (hepcat)/nob...@nowhere.org (.)/bill.gates.loves.me/
flatfish/linux_sux/WinRulez/Roy/t...@spamnono.noo/Whizzer/juke_joint/
whp...@screwlinux.com/Fawn Lebowitz/racer_y/biv...@army.flop/
a...@amy.com/any...@no.net/spanny_davis/Spammy_Davis/Okto_Pussy/
Richard Heflin <hefli...@excite.com,snoot...@excite.com"

Yttrx: And you too, flatfish. Why are you even attempting to use linux?
Gary: To prove that you zealots are out of your minds.

Yttrx: Did you do any actual *thinking*?
Gary: Why? The authors said it works. It doesn't.
Just like Linux in general.

Gary: So I say Mandrake stinks (and it does) and I get yelled at.
So then I say Mandrake is great (it isn't) and I get yelled at.

Vface: Shame on me not to have forseen this was just a Linux
demolition enterprise. My god, Terry Porter was right!
***

Zach

Sep 28, 2003, 9:14:46 PM9/28/03
Zach wrote:

> By the way, and this is a legitimate request, can you tell me how to change
> the agent string in KNode? I've looked but gosh durn it, I just can't find
> how to do it. TIA!

Disregard that last call...I found how it's done. You were right; it can be
altered. Cool...

Zach

Liam Slider

Sep 28, 2003, 10:15:33 PM9/28/03
Peter Köhlmann wrote:
> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
<snip>

>>He
>>even *USES* linux. His recent messages he's used the feature of one of
>>the Linux news readers to change his news agent string to say "Outlook
>>6" which is of course not a valid Outlook news agent string.
>

> And? Since when has the newsreader anyt meaning? What you post is of
> importance. Although using OE means that the poster is on the dumber side
>
> Face it, Erik, this poor excuse of a wintroll *is* a wintroll, although a
> real stupid one: Did not even qualify for your FUDster team, I guess

What someone uses, and what they advocate, may not necessarily be the
same thing. Look at Flatfish. S/H/It uses Windows, trashes Linux, and
talks up Macs more than anything else... So this guy uses Linux, he's
also trashing Linux and telling people to use Windows. He's a wintroll,
regardless of what he uses. He could use a C-64 and he'd still be a
wintroll.

--
"Sure, the lion is king of the jungle - but airdrop him into Antarctica,
and he's just a penguin's bitch." -- Dennis Miller

Rick

Sep 28, 2003, 9:53:56 PM9/28/03

And yet the flat-it says it has proven one.
--
Rick

Liam Slider

Sep 28, 2003, 10:31:15 PM9/28/03
flat...@linuxmail.org wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 11:39:09 -0500, Liam Slider
> <li...@NOSPAM.liamslider.com> wrote:
>

>>flat...@linuxmail.org wrote:

>>>1. I don't hate Linux.
>>
>>Then why bash it? Why constantly spread lies and FUD?

> I tell it like it is.

You mean like Redhat can't play MP3's? Oh wait, it can.

> You yo yo's just refuse to believe anything negative against Linux

>>>2. This group is hysterical. Pure entertainment and nothing more or less.
>>> Even the people in my local LUG laugh at this place.
>>

>>Yeah I can see you at a LUG...not.
>

> We go all the time.
> Nice bunch of people.

Liar.

>><snip>

>>>I don't advocate Windows at all.
>>

>>Liar.
>

> Show me where I say Windows is great without providing proof of my
> statements?

Pick a post, any post.

>>>I live with Windows, put up with it's problems because other than Mac, I
>>>really have no choice.
>>

>>Linux is a choice. Oh wait, it isn't as good as Windows at certaiin
>>typesw of pro audio work and so doesn't have the software needed that
>>you can pirate (like the software on your Windows machine). Macs do, but
>>you'd have to steal a whole Mac and you're not nup to that...
>

> Is that best you can do?

Not really. I'm not trying hard.

> Choice amongst third rate applications isn't really choice at all.

What third rate applications? I see a lot of great applications in Linux.

> flatfish+++
>

>>Thief.
>

> idiot...

Assuming I am an idiot, an idiot still ranks above a thief. However, I
am no idiot.

>><snop>
>>
>>>Obviously a lot of people would rather pay for software than use free Linux

>>>applications or Linux would have a much higher market share than it does.
>>

>>Or like you, steal commercial applications.
>

> I don't steal commercial applications.

You've admitted to stealing Windows itself before Flatfish.

>>Oh and of course we just forget that Windows has maintained a monopoly
>>illegally, using mafia style tactics.
>

> Why is it that everyone of your threads somehow ends up on that topic?

Because it is the truth. Because it's the very key to Microsoft's
continued existance. Because without those tactics those great apps you
talk up would be on other platforms, probably on many platforms.

> Can't you just admit that Windows has the applications and Linux doesn't?

Due to abuse of monopoly power yes. However that is changing. The MS
Mafia is losing it's muscle.

>>>And some of the "advocates" in COLA have hurt it as well.
>>

>>Bullshit.
>

> You're doing a fine job right now.

Not really.

> What do you think a person who is interested in trying Linux thinks when
> she stumbles on this group, which BTW is not typical of Linux users in
> general?

That Windows users are so scared of losing their so-called "superior" OS
that they'll trash a perfectly good group of decent Linux folk.

>>>If Linux works for you then yes, you have made the right decision.
>>
>>One of the few smart things you've said.
>

> If you took off the rose colored zealot glasses you would see a lot better.

I'm no zealot. I'm all for Linux, and all for MacOS, and all for BSD,
and BeOS, and other operating systems. Every OS except the hole ridden,
worm and virus infested OS that is pushed on the public with mafia like
tactics.

Terry

Sep 28, 2003, 10:51:53 PM9/28/03
and this is what they wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 10:00:17 +1000, Terry <tjpo...@gronk.porter.net>
> wrote:
<deletia>

> I DON'T hate Linux.
> I never said that I DIDN'T hate Linux at one time.

In other words, you hated GNU/Linux once, but you don't now ?

<deletia>

>>>And you too, flatfish. Why are you even attempting to use linux?
>>To prove that you zealots are out of your minds.
>

> Some things never change :)

Hahahahaha!

>>From: flatfish+++ <flat...@nowhere.somewhere
>>Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
>>Subject: So you wanna run Linux? How much is your time worth?
>>Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 00:20:14 GMT

>>And OSS expects me to pay for this sewerage?
>

> exactly!
>
> The commercial version of OSS has proven itself to be a large waste of
> money for people who chose to pay money for a driver that half worked.
> For the Delta 1010 they tried to charge me TWICE because I needed some
> "special" driver that wasn't included in the base package.
>
> It's a fact Porter.

Why complain?

Your'e a Windows user, MICROS~1 has conditioned you to pay and pay
again. Where are your MICROS~1 posts complaining about that ?

Opps forgot, you *steal* your software.

<deletia>

>>> It's a wasteland of people asking the same questions over and over again.
>>> Sadly, this is the audience that Linux has to attract if it wants to take
>>> over the desktop.
>>
>>GNU/Linux doesnt *want* to do anything, and on cola we want to advocate
>>GNU/Linux , why are *you* here ?
>

> Based on your statements in another thread, why are YOU here?
>
> If the top 10 topics discussed in COLA don't have to have anything to do
> with Linux advocacy, anyone can be here.
>
> Those are your words not mine.

Which words are mine ?

<deletia>

>>> I live with Windows, put up with it's problems because other than Mac, I
>>> really have no choice.
>>

>>And youve tried the mac and posted quite a bit on the mac groups as
>>well
>
> No I haven't.

Oh yes you have!

> I leave xposts where they live and that is the only reasons.
> I have posted a couple of questions to mac groups and that is all.

Hence I was correct. You have posted to Mac groups.

>>> It's better, at this point to deal with Windows than do without my
>>> applications and run Linux.
>>
>>It may be for you Gary, but not everyone runs a "small studio" using
>>proprietary sound gear and Windows.
>

> I am not Gary.

Yes you are.

>>Want to see a *profesional* sound studio ?
>>http://www.kgw.tu-berlin.de/KW/Studio/Studio.html
>

> Not bad.
>
> However, THIS is more along the lines of what I am used to working in:
>
> www.recordplant.com

It looks impressive, but its not *your* "small studio" is it ?

> BTW why isn't Linux in the A room?

I've no idea, I know less about audio than you know about GNU/Linux :)

>>It uses GNU/Linux and Macs not like your *toy* home Windows studio.
>

> Hahhh..

:)

> I noticed you had to put Macs in that statement.

Of course.

> Remove Mac and see where your statement stands.

Why ?

> Tell me how a hardware Protools farm is supported under Linux.

I've no idea.

> You're waaaayyyy over your head Porter and I'll bet you have been looking
> for that link for months now.

The studio link ?
No it was given by the owner of the studio when he squished a Wintroll,
who carries on about Windows and toy studios like you do.

>><deletia>
>>>
>>> Obviously a lot of people would rather pay for software
>>
>>You're not one of them tho.
>

> yes I am.

No you're not, not if you can steal it. Actually I'm not so much picking
on you as expressing the practices of most home and small business
Windows users, and my source is MICROS~1 .

<deletia>

>>Some of the *advocates* have been Wintrolls.
>

> Like you?

No, because I'm not a Wintroll.

> What do you think your antics are perceived as?

You'll have to ask the cola readership, your opinion is too Wintroll to
be any use there.

<deletia>

>>GNU/Linux works for many *millions* of users, can you say Munich ?
>

> Munich has 2.3 million people.
> Are you telling me even half of them are currently using Linux?

Nope, that would be silly. You're the one who said that!

> http://www.worldexecutive.com/cityguides/munich/orientation.html
>
> Yet again you put your foot in your mouth.
>
> At least you weren't stupid enough to use Lardo Florida.

It's "Largo", Wintroll.

> You're one funny guy Porter!
>
> flatfish+++

One thing I have always wondered about you Flatty, why do you hang
around here so much?

You're a child prodigy that grew up into a muso with a jazz quartet,
you have your own small Windows centric sound studio and one would
assume you have a life smoking dope and being adored by all ?

Where is my theory lacking ?

Terry

Sep 28, 2003, 10:56:19 PM9/28/03

and this is what they wrote:
s"? That makes the word plural (in other words,

<deletia>

> more than one). I only used flatfish as this is a highly recognized name in
> this group but any Wintroll name would do. My posts are not solely directed
> at him (her?)

It's a him. I'd rather not reveal my proof at this point as the rope is
still feeding out at the moment.

Spicerun

Sep 28, 2003, 11:45:58 PM9/28/03
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 01:47:05 +0200, Peter Köhlmann revealed:

> flat...@linuxmail.org wrote:
>>
>> Prove it.
>>
>> flatfish+++
>
> Prove you don't

flatfart also answers 'Prove it' when he is called out, but he never
issues any real denials or confirmations.

Jim Richardson

Sep 29, 2003, 12:16:16 AM9/29/03

Linux, because eventually, you grow up enough to be trusted with a fork()

Jim Richardson

Sep 29, 2003, 12:23:50 AM9/29/03

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 19:50:28 GMT,
Erik Funkenbusch <er...@despam-funkenbusch.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 17:19:54 -0000, Stephen Edwards wrote:
>> When I used to advocate NT4, I tried to be rational, and
>> reasonable. What the hell has happened to you people?
>>
>> Apparently, the last remaining NT users who had a clue
>> either migrated away from NT, or simply stopped posting
>> to USENET altogether.
>
> No, "Rich L. Smith" is just a troll. He's not a windows advocate of
> any type. His sole goal is to gain as much reaction from people as he

> can. He even *USES* linux. His recent messages he's used the feature

> of one of the Linux news readers to change his news agent string to
> say "Outlook 6" which is of course not a valid Outlook news agent
> string.

are you still maintaining that there are no newsreaders that run on
MICROS~1 windows, that allow you to change the user agent string?

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQE/d7PWd90bcYOAWPYRAiCOAKC8LO5baEQuTd37GCMvslY4RQeMtACfT/FP
0jgcprOW5ByDr0s7iw23c7Y=
=+dXU

Ichimusai

Sep 29, 2003, 1:08:20 AM9/29/03
If you can not read this post, go to http://ichimusai.org/oe/
begin "Rich" == Rich L Smith <rsmith...@hotmail.com> comments:

> You can't prove a negative. Dummy. Idiot. Go back to school and
> they'll tell you why that is.

Well, in formal logic it is possible, but that's not really the issue.

--
Ichimusai - Tolerated by two cats. http://www.ichimusai.org/ ICQ: 1645566

7:07am up 14:48, 0 users, load average: 0.25, 0.13, 0.06
"Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to
solve other problems."
-- Rene Descartes (1596-1650), "Discours de la Methode"

Peter Köhlmann

Sep 29, 2003, 4:32:55 AM9/29/03
Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 17:19:54 -0000, Stephen Edwards wrote:
>> When I used to advocate NT4, I tried to be rational, and
>> reasonable. What the hell has happened to you people?
>>
>> Apparently, the last remaining NT users who had a clue
>> either migrated away from NT, or simply stopped posting
>> to USENET altogether.
>
> No, "Rich L. Smith" is just a troll. He's not a windows advocate of any
> type. His sole goal is to gain as much reaction from people as he can.
> He
> even *USES* linux. His recent messages he's used the feature of one of
> the Linux news readers to change his news agent string to say "Outlook
> 6" which is of course not a valid Outlook news agent string.

BTW Erik, I post now with KNode and the User Agent string switched off, as
someone suggested. That someone tried to tell us that you *can* set the
User Agent string to something else in KNode. Tell you what: You can not.
It will be X-User Agent
So much for your claim that this moron has to run linux becuase he can
change the user agent string so easily. At least in KNode he can *not*
--
Never argue with an idiot. He brings you down to his level, then beats
you with experience...

Terry

Sep 29, 2003, 4:49:42 AM9/29/03
and this is what they wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 12:51:53 +1000, Terry <tjpo...@gronk.porter.net>
> wrote:
>
>>flat...@linuxmail.org threw some tea leaves on the floor
>> and this is what they wrote:
>>
>>> On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 10:00:17 +1000, Terry <tjpo...@gronk.porter.net>
>>> wrote:
>><deletia>
>>
>>> I DON'T hate Linux.
>>> I never said that I DIDN'T hate Linux at one time.
>>
>>In other words, you hated GNU/Linux once, but you don't now ?
>

> Pretty much true.

But you think that GNU/Linux is inferior to Windows ?
Or you think that Windows is just better for you ?
or none of the above ?

><deletia>
> I ultimately, over years, figured out how to make ALSA work.

Congrats :)

>>Your'e a Windows user, MICROS~1 has conditioned you to pay and pay
>>again. Where are your MICROS~1 posts complaining about that ?
>>
>>Opps forgot, you *steal* your software.
>

> No I don't.

Must I dig out *your* post where you admitted buying Redhat, copying
the CD, giving copies to your mates, then returned the CD for a full
refund ?

> Prove that one please.

See above ?

> Prove I steal Windows Software.

Ahh, I said "software", I didnt limit it to Windows.
> Please try.

I am :)

><deletia>

>>> Based on your statements in another thread, why are YOU here?
>>>
>>> If the top 10 topics discussed in COLA don't have to have anything to do
>>> with Linux advocacy, anyone can be here.
>>>
>>> Those are your words not mine.
>>
>>Which words are mine ?
>

> Your post about the 10 top subjects in COLA.

Tricky response!
Do you mean these words "the top 10 topics discussed in COLA don't
have to have anything to do with Linux advocacy" are mine ?

Further do you wish to use the words above to justify your statement :-

"If the top 10 topics discussed in COLA don't have to have anything to do

with Linux advocacy, anyone can be here." ?

If you do, forget it, cola exists "to discuss the benefits of the
GNU/Linux operating system".

>><deletia>

>>> No I haven't.
>>
>>Oh yes you have!
>>
>>> I leave xposts where they live and that is the only reasons.
>>> I have posted a couple of questions to mac groups and that is all.

Ok.

>>Hence I was correct. You have posted to Mac groups.
>

> Not as new threads except for the questions I have asked.
>
> I'll bet you and every other person in this group has posted to oddball
> groups simply because they were in the reply to header.

No, I use a decent newsreader, it won't let me post to other groups
just because theyre in the reply-to header. I can overide it, but I
have to force it *each and every time*.

Slrn won't let me cross post, ot follow up to cross posts either in the
same way.

I do concede your point that mayn people using newsreaders other than
Slrn may not be aware that they're crossposting etc.

<deletia>

>>> I am not Gary.
>>
>>Yes you are.
>

> Prove it.

Prove you're not :)

> Good luck.

You too!

<deletia>

>>> www.recordplant.com
>>
>>It looks impressive, but its not *your* "small studio" is it ?
>

> Of course not :)
>
> I have recorded there however.
> Several times in fact.
> I have also done work at Full Sail as well.

I have never doubted that you're a tallented musician.

<deletia>

>>> I noticed you had to put Macs in that statement.
>>
>>Of course.
>>

>>> Remove Mac and see where your statement stands.
>>
>>Why ?
>

> It doesn't hold any weight.
> You found one studio that happens to use Linux as a support system, not a
> promary system, but a support system.

Is that bad ?

It could have used Windows as a support system, but they didn't.

>>> Tell me how a hardware Protools farm is supported under Linux.
>>
>>I've no idea.
>

> It doesn't.
> Works best under Mac however.

Not best under Windows ?

>>> You're waaaayyyy over your head Porter and I'll bet you have been looking
>>> for that link for months now.
>>
>>The studio link ?
>>No it was given by the owner of the studio when he squished a Wintroll,
>>who carries on about Windows and toy studios like you do.
>

> I don't do that.
> Mac is still the king.

Fair enough :)

> I just point out that Linux is virtually nowhere.

You know that's not true, GNU/Linux is appearing *everywhere*, and with
good reason.

>>> yes I am.
>>
>>No you're not, not if you can steal it. Actually I'm not so much picking
>>on you as expressing the practices of most home and small business
>>Windows users, and my source is MICROS~1 .
>

> Prove I have stolen ANY Windows software.

See above re Redhat ?

> Go ahead.
>
> You make the accusation, now prove it.

You have even admitted it!

>><deletia>
>>>

>>> Like you?
>>
>>No, because I'm not a Wintroll.
>

> Thank god.

>>> What do you think your antics are perceived as?
>>
>>You'll have to ask the cola readership, your opinion is too Wintroll to
>>be any use there.
>

> COLA readership means nothing.
> I am talking about a newbie that stumbles on this cesspool looking for
> information.

Hey Cola is no cespool, man you orta to see some of the Windows groups!

I've never seen a GNU/Linux advocate demand sec from a female poster
asking a question about GNU/Linux!

I've seen it on a Windows ng.

>><deletia>
>>>
>>> Munich has 2.3 million people.
>>> Are you telling me even half of them are currently using Linux?
>>
>>Nope, that would be silly. You're the one who said that!
>

> No I didn't.
>
> You are talking millions of users.
> I simply informed you of the population of Munich.
> Now if MILLIONS of users, "can you say Munich", are using Linux, that means
> approximately half of the population of Munich are using Linux.
>
> See where you screwed up?

Well I didn't say that the millions *were* in Munich, but my statement
was ambiguous, I'll give you that.

However it was no more ambiguous than the oft used statement (by you)
"Windows works".

:)

>>> http://www.worldexecutive.com/cityguides/munich/orientation.html
>>>
>>> Yet again you put your foot in your mouth.
>>>
>>> At least you weren't stupid enough to use Lardo Florida.
>>
>>It's "Largo", Wintroll.
>

> I've been there.
>
> They even sell Tee-Shirts that say, "Where the Hell is Largo".

Ok!

>>> You're one funny guy Porter!
>>>
>>> flatfish+++
>>
>>One thing I have always wondered about you Flatty, why do you hang
>>around here so much?
>

> Entertainment.

Well that's here in abundance, no question about it.

>>You're a child prodigy that grew up into a muso with a jazz quartet,
>>you have your own small Windows centric sound studio and one would
>>assume you have a life smoking dope and being adored by all ?
>

> Nahh.
> Gave it up in college, a long time ago.

I bet you didn't even inhale ?

>>Where is my theory lacking ?

> Adored by all?
>
> Not really.

Bwaahahah.

> My first band was so bad we got stuff thrown at us.
> This was Jr High School BTW.
>
> The name of the band was "Wind"........
>
> I can't believe we didn't think of the jokes that would follow us around
> with a name like that.....

Hahahahah!

> However like the newt in Monty Python "I got better", much better in fact.
>
> Have you ever heard Manhattan Transfer's version of King Porter Stomp?

No but I've always loved Manhattan Transfer myself.

> You might like it.
>
> I'll send you an mp3 if you like.

Hahahah, no thanks, I only download Indie or non RIAA controlled music.
Plus I have a permanent ban on any RIAA member produced CD.

Thanks for the offer tho, it was very kind of you.

BlaBla

Sep 29, 2003, 10:29:24 AM9/29/03
flat...@linuxmail.org wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 18:49:42 +1000, Terry <tjpo...@gronk.porter.net>

> wrote:
>
>> flat...@linuxmail.org threw some tea leaves on the floor
>> and this is what they wrote:

>>> Prove it.
>>
>> Prove you're not :)
>
> Impossible to prove a negative, but Gary I am not that's a fact.

http://www.graveyardofthegods.net/articles/cantprovenegative.html

I'll prove a negative right now:

------------
Q: Prove 5 is not 4!
A: 5 = 0101 and 4 = 0100
------------

You shouldn't be so general with such statements.

Liam Slider

Sep 29, 2003, 2:38:37 PM9/29/03
flat...@linuxmail.org wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 21:31:15 -0500, Liam Slider

> <li...@NOSPAM.liamslider.com> wrote:
>

>>flat...@linuxmail.org wrote:

>>>I tell it like it is.
>>
>>You mean like Redhat can't play MP3's? Oh wait, it can.
>

> Not out of the box it can't.

Fixed by one quick download. How many things can't Windows do out of the
box?

>>>You yo yo's just refuse to believe anything negative against Linux

>>>We go all the time.
>>>Nice bunch of people.
>>
>>Liar.
>

> Says you.
>
> Prove it.

Simple, what LUG would ever accept a wintroll in their midst?

>>>Show me where I say Windows is great without providing proof of my
>>>statements?
>>
>>Pick a post, any post.
>

> You do that.
> Go ahead and try it.

Hey, I didn't say I'd pick one, I *told* you to pick one.

> You might be surprised at how difficult it really is.
>
> Talk is cheap, backing it up with facts is a totally different matter.

Sure Flatbitch.

<snip>

>>>Choice amongst third rate applications isn't really choice at all.
>>
>>What third rate applications? I see a lot of great applications in Linux.
>

> So do I.
> I see a lot of third rate ones as well.
> And I see some that should never have seen the light of day.
>
> They are all free however.

Lots of free (as in beer) third rate applications for Windows too. And
some not so free (in any case), such as Windows itself, which is
definately 3rd rate software.

>>>flatfish+++

>>>idiot...
>>
>>Assuming I am an idiot, an idiot still ranks above a thief. However, I
>>am no idiot.

Goodie, I win.

>>>I don't steal commercial applications.
>>
>>You've admitted to stealing Windows itself before Flatfish.

Goodie I win.

>>>Why is it that everyone of your threads somehow ends up on that topic?
>>
>>Because it is the truth. Because it's the very key to Microsoft's
>>continued existance. Because without those tactics those great apps you
>>talk up would be on other platforms, probably on many platforms.
>>

>>>Can't you just admit that Windows has the applications and Linux doesn't?
>>
>>Due to abuse of monopoly power yes. However that is changing. The MS
>>Mafia is losing it's muscle.

Goodie I win.

>>>You're doing a fine job right now.
>>
>>Not really.

Goodie I win.

>>>What do you think a person who is interested in trying Linux thinks when
>>>she stumbles on this group, which BTW is not typical of Linux users in
>>>general?
>>
>>That Windows users are so scared of losing their so-called "superior" OS
>>that they'll trash a perfectly good group of decent Linux folk.

Goodie I win.

>>>If you took off the rose colored zealot glasses you would see a lot better.
>>
>>I'm no zealot. I'm all for Linux, and all for MacOS, and all for BSD,
>>and BeOS, and other operating systems. Every OS except the hole ridden,
>>worm and virus infested OS that is pushed on the public with mafia like
>>tactics.

Goodie I win.

Quoting an argument without replying is an automatic concession you know
don't you Flatbitch?

Terry

Sep 29, 2003, 10:56:48 PM9/29/03
flat...@linuxmail.org threw some tea leaves on the floor
and this is what they wrote:

<deletia>
> Windows is better for some tasks and some people.
> Linux is better for other tasks an other people.

Now who could argue with that?

> It all depends upon what those particular tasks are.

So true.

> For what *I* do Windows is currently better, but if I were to remove the
> multimedia/DAW stuff, then it would be a lot closer and I could really use
> either platform.

Perfectly fair enough in my book.
<deletia>

>>Must I dig out *your* post where you admitted buying Redhat, copying
>>the CD, giving copies to your mates, then returned the CD for a full
>>refund ?
>

> It's Mandrake not, Redhat and I've already admitted doing it but like I've
> said it wasn't meant to work out that way.
>
> That edition was so bad there was no way I was going to keep it.

Ok.

> I've bought many of their products over the years and I suspect I own more
> official boxed sets than most people in COLA.

I've never bought a "official boxed set" and never will, I just don't
see the point myself.

To me GNU/Linux doesnt need to be shrinkwrapped and pretty, and
*expensive*, because GNU/Linux is Free Software.

Plus I know it well enough to install any distro without help.

<deletia>

>>Tricky response!
>>Do you mean these words "the top 10 topics discussed in COLA don't
>>have to have anything to do with Linux advocacy" are mine ?
>>
>>Further do you wish to use the words above to justify your statement :-
>>"If the top 10 topics discussed in COLA don't have to have anything to do
>> with Linux advocacy, anyone can be here." ?
>

> It kind of shoots holes in the mission of COLA and proves that the group
> and it's members are not following the mission.

I disagree I don't think it does prove that, but I'm willing to agree
to disagree with you as you have been so reaqsonable thus far?

>>If you do, forget it, cola exists "to discuss the benefits of the
>>GNU/Linux operating system".
>

> But that's not what is happening, at least recently anywhow.

Its a hard thing to do all the time especially when arguing with
Wintrolls and Trolls.

<deletia>

>>No, I use a decent newsreader, it won't let me post to other groups
>>just because theyre in the reply-to header. I can overide it, but I
>>have to force it *each and every time*.
>>

>>Slrn won't let me cross post, or follow up to cross posts either in the
>>same way.
>
> It asks first I believe, at least with the .slrnc file I was using.

It does, actually it kind of "insists", advising that its bad usnet
practice etc.

>>I do concede your point that many people using newsreaders other than

>>Slrn may not be aware that they're crossposting etc.
>>
>><deletia>

>>> Prove it.
>>
>>Prove you're not :)
>

> Impossible to prove a negative, but Gary I am not that's a fact.

Ok, then I'll stop insisting that you are. However you have to admit
that Mjcrs theory was based on some good data ?

>>I have never doubted that you're a tallented musician.
>

> Thank you.

You're welcome, I've seen too many knowledgable posts by you in other
ng's.

So did you produce the Linux song, the one that mentions "flatfish" ?
<deletia>

>>Is that bad ?
>>
>>It could have used Windows as a support system, but they didn't.
>

> No it's not bad, in fact it's good.
> Most studios are using Mac's but Windows is making inroads especially in
> fields like forensic audio, restoration and the RAP/Hip-Hop field.
> Musicians like Linux and you will see Linux mentioned all the time in the
> pro-audio groups, but without easy to use mainstream applications it's
> difficult to get going.
> Not impossible, but difficult expecially if you want a one box solution
> that does everything.

I agree.

<deletia>

>>Hey Cola is no cespool, man you orta to see some of the Windows groups!
>>
>>I've never seen a GNU/Linux advocate demand sec from a female poster
>>asking a question about GNU/Linux!
>>
>>I've seen it on a Windows ng.
>

> I have to agree aowxp has become a wasteland.

Yeah, apparently there are better Windows groups.

<deletia>

>>Well I didn't say that the millions *were* in Munich, but my statement
>>was ambiguous, I'll give you that.
>>
>>However it was no more ambiguous than the oft used statement (by you)
>>"Windows works".
>

> Alright I'll concede that one.

Thanks.

> Windows works for most people.

Even lately with viruses like Swen ?

<deletia>

>>> Nahh.
>>> Gave it up in college, a long time ago.
>>
>>I bet you didn't even inhale ?
>

> To be honest I don't even remember.

Hahahah.

<deletia>

>>> I'll send you an mp3 if you like.
>>
>>Hahahah, no thanks, I only download Indie or non RIAA controlled music.
>>Plus I have a permanent ban on any RIAA member produced CD.
>

> I can understand that.
> The RIAA is satan.

They're a *dying* satan then I suppose ?

> They are suing some college kid in NY for 100's of thousands of dollars.

That is just so wrong.

> Funny thing is that since they have started this campaign of fear CD sales
> have dropped and are continuing to drop because kids/people are trading
> even more than before.

So I read. But perhaps its also because many people like myself are
refusing to buy their products in protest ?

We are putting our money where our mouth is, and striking back the
*one* way that hurts them.

>>Thanks for the offer tho, it was very kind of you.

> ur welcome.
>
> flatfish+++

A very pleasant post, isn't about time we started insulting each other
again ?

;-)