[News] Free Flash Player for Linux

Roy Schestowitz

Jun 28, 2006, 10:25:51 PM6/28/06
(A reverse-engineering project)

Gnash, the free Flash player, makes progress

,----[ Quote ]
| The Gnash project has been developing a free software Flash player since
| December. Filling one of the last major gaps on the GNU/Linux desktop, it
| is one of the Free Software Foundation's high-priority projects.
`----

http://software.newsforge.com/software/06/06/20/1855200.shtml?tid=130

Flash 9 will be coming to Linux as well.

Mark Kent

Jun 29, 2006, 3:27:51 AM6/29/06
begin oe_protect.scr
Roy Schestowitz <newsg...@schestowitz.com> espoused:

I like the idea of an open player - this could be reallly useful going
forward, particularly the integration potential with opengl and so on.
I'd still like to see some good, open-source, opengl drivers for nvidia,
but they're not here yet...

"Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!"
-- Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Roy Schestowitz

Jun 29, 2006, 4:01:39 AM6/29/06
__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Thursday 29 June 2006 08:27 \__

> begin oe_protect.scr
> Roy Schestowitz <newsg...@schestowitz.com> espoused:
>> (A reverse-engineering project)
>>
>> Gnash, the free Flash player, makes progress
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| The Gnash project has been developing a free software Flash player since
>>| December. Filling one of the last major gaps on the GNU/Linux desktop, it
>>| is one of the Free Software Foundation's high-priority projects.
>> `----

http://software.newsforge.com/software/06/06/20/1855200.shtml?tid=130

>> Flash 9 will be coming to Linux as well.
>
> I like the idea of an open player - this could be reallly useful going
> forward, particularly the integration potential with opengl and so on.
> I'd still like to see some good, open-source, opengl drivers for nvidia,
> but they're not here yet...

What I'd love to see is a GPL manufacturer whose niche is Open Source O/Sen.
Such a manufacturer could release a decent graphics cards that provide code
rather than binary-form drivers. Whether it can compete in terms of
performance is the big question. There is place for re-use. Think, for
example, about Sun's Open Source (and GPL'd) CPU design. Design, however,
unlike code, needs some machinery. It cannot be duplicated like software,

Best wishes,

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz | England - 1 Ecuador - 0
http://Schestowitz.com | Open Prospects Ś PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E

[H]omer

Jun 29, 2006, 4:31:42 AM6/29/06

In the meantime, Gnash is currently the *only* way those running *any*
64bit OS can view flash files on a legacy free (64bit only) system,
and AFAIK Gnash is currently Linux only.

Although I'm also sorry to note, Dries Verachtert has yet to complete
a successful build of Gnash on his repo for FC5.

--
K.
http://slated.org - Slated, Rated & Blogged

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.16-1.2133_FC5
09:30:36 up 11 days, 9:47, 4 users, load average: 0.06, 0.08, 0.03

Mark Kent

Jun 29, 2006, 5:26:26 AM6/29/06
begin oe_protect.scr
[H]omer <sp...@uce.gov> espoused:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> (A reverse-engineering project)
>>
>> Gnash, the free Flash player, makes progress
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The Gnash project has been developing a free software Flash player
>> | since December. Filling one of the last major gaps on the
>> | GNU/Linux desktop, it is one of the Free Software Foundation's
>> | high-priority projects.
>> `----
>>
>> http://software.newsforge.com/software/06/06/20/1855200.shtml?tid=130
>>
>> Flash 9 will be coming to Linux as well.
>
> In the meantime, Gnash is currently the *only* way those running *any*
> 64bit OS can view flash files on a legacy free (64bit only) system,
> and AFAIK Gnash is currently Linux only.

If you check the article, I think you'll find it's more than just Linux,
I think at least BSD are supported as well.

> Although I'm also sorry to note, Dries Verachtert has yet to complete
> a successful build of Gnash on his repo for FC5.

Mark Kent

Jun 29, 2006, 5:25:41 AM6/29/06
begin oe_protect.scr
Roy Schestowitz <newsg...@schestowitz.com> espoused:
> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Thursday 29 June 2006 08:27 \__
>
>> begin oe_protect.scr
>> Roy Schestowitz <newsg...@schestowitz.com> espoused:
>>> (A reverse-engineering project)
>>>
>>> Gnash, the free Flash player, makes progress
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>

> http://software.newsforge.com/software/06/06/20/1855200.shtml?tid=130
>>>
>>> Flash 9 will be coming to Linux as well.
>>
>> I like the idea of an open player - this could be reallly useful going
>> forward, particularly the integration potential with opengl and so on.
>> I'd still like to see some good, open-source, opengl drivers for nvidia,
>> but they're not here yet...
>
> What I'd love to see is a GPL manufacturer whose niche is Open Source O/Sen.
> Such a manufacturer could release a decent graphics cards that provide code
> rather than binary-form drivers. Whether it can compete in terms of
> performance is the big question. There is place for re-use. Think, for
> example, about Sun's Open Source (and GPL'd) CPU design. Design, however,
> unlike code, needs some machinery. It cannot be duplicated like software,

It's the manufacturing costs which are the problem. Production runs of
millions are needed to get such costs down. Nvidia are probably
terrified that someone will choose to do this, as it would take the OSS
world by storm. Having said that, I guess they could just open their
driver.

[H]omer

Jun 29, 2006, 6:57:07 AM6/29/06
Mark Kent wrote:
> begin oe_protect.scr
> [H]omer <sp...@uce.gov> espoused:
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>>> Flash 9 will be coming to Linux as well.

>> In the meantime, Gnash is currently the *only* way those running
>> *any* 64bit OS can view flash files on a legacy free (64bit only)
>> system, and AFAIK Gnash is currently Linux only.

> If you check the article, I think you'll find it's more than just
> Linux, I think at least BSD are supported as well.

Sorry, I meant *nix.

--
K.
http://slated.org - Slated, Rated & Blogged

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.16-1.2133_FC5

11:55:42 up 11 days, 12:12, 4 users, load average: 0.00, 0.03, 0.00

Mark Kent

Jun 29, 2006, 7:42:03 AM6/29/06
begin oe_protect.scr
[H]omer <sp...@uce.gov> espoused:
> Mark Kent wrote:
>> begin oe_protect.scr
>> [H]omer <sp...@uce.gov> espoused:

>>> In the meantime, Gnash is currently the *only* way those running
>>> *any* 64bit OS can view flash files on a legacy free (64bit only)
>>> system, and AFAIK Gnash is currently Linux only.
>
>> If you check the article, I think you'll find it's more than just
>> Linux, I think at least BSD are supported as well.
>
> Sorry, I meant *nix.

Hehe - fair enough...

Roy Schestowitz

Jun 29, 2006, 9:02:28 AM6/29/06
__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Thursday 29 June 2006 10:25 \__

Maybe we can use the vaporware tactics of Microsoft, IBM, and SAP to have
Nvidia deliver the source as a result. Somehow, I doubt it'll be that easy.
(I am sarcastic here) When you come to think about it, almost any Open
Source initiative is causing the proprietary world to follow suit. Examples:

-Web search is free
-Third-party E-mail offers gigabytes of storage space
-Office adopts XML, as useless as that XML schema (no implementation) may be
-Sun embraces Open Source (Java, GPL'd processor design, etc.)
-Oracle, IBM, Unisys and others use GNU/Linux
-Alternative Xara Extreme released as a GPL fork/derivative
-Netscape throws code at the community
-Companies convert to Open Source development models or deliver free code
while relying on support-based income
-...

You name it. There are plenty more, but I just don't wish to pause and
wonder...

Best wishes,

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz | England - 1 Ecuador - 0
http://Schestowitz.com | Open Prospects Ś PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E

Tasks: 193 total, 2 running, 173 sleeping, 0 stopped, 18 zombie

Mark Kent

Jun 29, 2006, 9:48:47 AM6/29/06

The open-source route is removing the lock-in aspect of most deals,
causing the original vendor to *lose* one source of income, however,
what's being increasingly recognised is that the open-source route also
causes vendors to *lose* one source of costs, which is software
maintenance & development (at least to the degree that others take part
in their development work). Thus, costs can be shared across multiple
interested parties, thus margins can be maintained, but in different
ways.

Another way of looking at it is that open-source significantly reduces
the initial start-up costs and the longer-term maintenance costs to
vendors/writers, thus means that in the variable cost model, the design
cost is reduced significantly, and the manufacturing cost (in software,
this is only maintenance) is also reduced.

> You name it. There are plenty more, but I just don't wish to pause and
> wonder...

Start to think about this too long and we'll realise how far we've come
in the last 10-15 years...