Roy Schestowitz on FLOSS Weekly PodCast.... My Review....

1 view

Moshe Goldfarb

Oct 16, 2009, 11:19:34 PM10/16/09
http://twit.tv/FLOSS

Download the mp3 file for October 15th 2009.

BTW why are they using mp3 instead of ogg?

Ok, so I listened to this and have a short review.

First off, Roy really was ambushed, although he should have
known what he was up against. Still, I do give him credit for
appearing and defending himself. That's admirable.
He should have been more prepared though.

Second, Roy's voice is extremely irritating. No big deal, Fran
Drescher has made a career out of it. Maybe Roy can do the same.

You need to loosen up a little Roy.
I realize you were probably nervous but the jokes in the
beginning were going right over your head. Hint: they were
trying to make you feel at ease. Take the offer next time and at
least laugh.

As for the content, you got destroyed.
You offered little substance and played the blame game.
IOW they asked you about bloggers, radical ones, who link to you
and on the net are being accused, along with BN, of being
SPAMMERS, and the best you could offer was "I can't control
them".
Well, of course you can't but at the same time you love the fact
they promote you and your website so you rarely call them to
task and ask them to quit.
IOW, no matter how radical, crazy or nutty a person is, as long
has the basic premise is along the lines of MS hate etc you
pretend to ignore it.

You have a site named "boycottnovell" and you seemed surprised
when the hosts mentioned that you offend a great many people
with your site.
You pretend it's a "news site" but you ignore all the attacks
that go on there, most from you.

The hosts also hinted at your motives and the massive amoount of
posts you make.

They cleaned your clock on that one.

Then they brought up the question of community leaders asking
you to stop hurting Linux and again, you played the "I can't
control it" card.
Yea, Roy, you CAN control it.

They brought up the fact that some of your core BN members have
16+ accounts, each, on slashdot etc and once again you dodged
the issue.

They brought up the issue of Boycottnovell being accused of
spamming and again you pleaded the ignorance card.

The point that Shane left because he was unhappy with what you
were doing was brought up, you dodged it.

Your motives were questioned, and again you dodged it.

The point that patches, fixes etc no matter who they come from
(even Microsoft) will benefit the community was brought up, you
dodged it.

It goes on and on but basically, they trashed you and used your
own website, core members and your lack of accountability for
the monster you may have created against you.

To your credit they did acknowledge that you do believe and are
sincere concerning your cause but they concluded that you are
probably hurting the cause more than helping it.
Many other agree.

One funny point was when one of the hosts talked about googling
your name.
Hahahahahha!
You reap what you sow Roy.....

Don Zeigler

Oct 17, 2009, 12:26:58 AM10/17/09
Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

> Ok, so I listened to this and have a short review.

The time you devote to following the goings-on of a person you supposedly
despise is more than a little disturbing...

--
Regards,
Don Zeigler

...A husband is a lover who pushed his luck too far.

Moshe Goldfarb

Oct 17, 2009, 12:59:09 AM10/17/09
On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 00:26:58 -0400, Don Zeigler wrote:

> Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
>
>> Ok, so I listened to this and have a short review.
>
> The time you devote to following the goings-on of a person you supposedly
> despise is more than a little disturbing...

So you can't refute my points......

I figured as much.

Ruel Smith

Oct 17, 2009, 1:52:53 AM10/17/09
Moshe Goldfarb <mosheg...@yahoo.com> said on 2009-10-17:

> To your credit they did acknowledge that you do believe and are
> sincere concerning your cause but they concluded that you are
> probably hurting the cause more than helping it.
> Many other agree.

I believed that Roy had a great life when he was studying. I am not
sure what caused him to almost stop PhD and jump into such
controvertial project. He's a good man - passionate, polite
and intelligent but I think he is on the wrong track. He could do a
lot better if he finished his PhD and progessed in his field of
expertise; or he could greatly assist the Linux community in terms of
building relationship between various OSS foundations - building
bridges is the right word.

I just had to filter his posts because they were so many of them and
some were just so off target (no quality). It would be nicer to see
him discuss, reply to logical articles, and write articles logically
rather than assign a cron job. Well, whatever he does, I hope he makes
more friends than enemies.

Moshe Goldfarb

Oct 17, 2009, 2:03:14 AM10/17/09
On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 05:52:53 +0000 (UTC), Ruel Smith wrote:

> Moshe Goldfarb <mosheg...@yahoo.com> said on 2009-10-17:
>>
>> To your credit they did acknowledge that you do believe and are
>> sincere concerning your cause but they concluded that you are
>> probably hurting the cause more than helping it.
>> Many other agree.
>>

> I believed that Roy had a great life when he was studying. I am not
> sure what caused him to almost stop PhD and jump into such
> controvertial project. He's a good man - passionate, polite
> and intelligent but I think he is on the wrong track. He could do a
> lot better if he finished his PhD and progessed in his field of
> expertise; or he could greatly assist the Linux community in terms of
> building relationship between various OSS foundations - building
> bridges is the right word.

I mostly agree.
Given the context of the interview and the fact that the other
people are professionals in the field, Roy did a decent job of
defending himself.

However, the fact that he and his postings do more harm than
good was approached and I feel this is important.

The truth is Roy is not helping the cause but hurting it.
He needs to adjust his style to reflect a more accepting
attitude rather than projecting an atmosphere of hate.

I've said it before and I still believe that Roy could be an
awesome advocate for Linux.
He just needs to regroup.

> I just had to filter his posts because they were so many of them and
> some were just so off target (no quality). It would be nicer to see
> him discuss, reply to logical articles, and write articles logically
> rather than assign a cron job. Well, whatever he does, I hope he makes
> more friends than enemies.

He has to bury the scripts he uses to post.
Quantity does not equal quality.
In effect he is killing off his own message.

Marti van Lin

Oct 17, 2009, 3:34:43 AM10/17/09
Don Zeigler wrote:

> Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
>
>> Ok, so I listened to this and have a short review.
>
> The time you devote to following the goings-on of a person you supposedly
> despise is more than a little disturbing...

No sane person is interested in Flatso's review of a interview with Roy
Schestowitz.

In the name of peace I will keep my thoughts about that interview to my
self.

All I want to say about it is that Jono Bacon made me aware of the fact
that it's about time for me to move on and leave the Ubuntu ecosystem
for what it is.

It is crystal clear that Ubuntu is dominated by MONOMANIA. Fortunately
Kubuntu doesn't suffer from that mental disease (yet).

Cheers

--
|_|0|_| Marti van Lin
|_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com
|0|0|0| http://osgeex.blogspot.com

I ain't no Vole and I don't live in a freaking hole!

Don Zeigler

Oct 17, 2009, 7:43:53 AM10/17/09
Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

> So you can't refute my points......

I'm not interested in refuting your posts.

I just fail to understand your fixation with what Roy does or doesn't do.

--
Regards,
Don Zeigler
Owner/proprietor, Trollus Amongus, LLC

...I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian.

Rick

Oct 17, 2009, 7:55:40 AM10/17/09

Why do you care what Roy posts?

--
Rick

Ezekiel

Oct 17, 2009, 8:49:50 AM10/17/09

"Rick" <no...@nomail.com> wrote in message

Why do you keep asking these asinine juvenile questions?

Hadron

Oct 17, 2009, 9:31:45 AM10/17/09
Marti van Lin <ml2...@gmail.com> writes:

> Don Zeigler wrote:
>
>> Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
>>
>>> Ok, so I listened to this and have a short review.
>>
>> The time you devote to following the goings-on of a person you supposedly
>> despise is more than a little disturbing...
>
> No sane person is interested in Flatso's review of a interview with Roy
> Schestowitz.
>
> In the name of peace I will keep my thoughts about that interview to my
> self.

So you think he made a klutz of himself again. Noted.

Rick

Oct 17, 2009, 10:32:44 AM10/17/09

Why do you keep butting in? I didn't ask you about Moeshe's motivations.

And the only reason you consider my questions asinine and juvenile is
you're too stupid to understand them.

--
Rick

Moshe Goldfarb

Oct 17, 2009, 10:55:08 AM10/17/09

Give a listen.
He sounds like a complete ass.

In summary: "Boycottnovell is my website and what other people
who link to it say is not my concern".

He seems to avoid the part about his writing hate spewed
articles based upon "evidence" of dubious quality.

Notice how his gang is carefully avoiding commenting?
It's because they know he was ripped a new one by two very
knowledgeable Linux advocates.

It's even worse than his last podcast.
Much worse because the longer he talks, the deeper the hole he
digs for himself.

Stuff like this (paraphrased):

Question: Searching on schestowitz brings up many hits from
people who wish you would stop doing this.

Answer: They are trolls.

Rebuttle: but some well known people in the community are saying
the same thing. He quotes an article here.

Answer: more blame and dodging.

Question: Can you understand that maybe the others are right and
you are wrong?

Answer: dodging again.

Don Zeigler

Oct 17, 2009, 11:01:41 AM10/17/09
Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

> Answer: dodging again.

Speaking of answers, answer my questions.

If you dislike Roy Schestowitz so much, why do you spend so much time
following him around? Why do you monitor his site? Why do you listen to
interviews with him? Why do you post endlessly about him? Why do yo hang on
his every word?

--
Regards,
Don Zeigler
Owner/proprietor, Trollus Amongus, LLC

...Profanity, the language of computer professionals

Moshe Goldfarb

Oct 17, 2009, 11:18:21 AM10/17/09
On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 11:01:41 -0400, Don Zeigler wrote:

> Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
>
>> Answer: dodging again.
>
> Speaking of answers, answer my questions.
>
> If you dislike Roy Schestowitz so much, why do you spend so much time
> following him around? Why do you monitor his site? Why do you listen to
> interviews with him? Why do you post endlessly about him? Why do yo hang on
> his every word?

1. Entertainment.

2. I don't follow him around at all. He is like stepping in gum,
it stays on your sneaker forever. I don't monitor his websites
BTW. I go into his ICQ channel once in a while and always use my
name. The people have actually been very helpful and courteous
even though they consider me a troll.

3. I find his interviews interesting.
You should too if you took the time.

4. Probably for the same reason he posts endlessly about
Microsoft, Windows etc. It's more fun than posting about Linux.
More interesting as well.

5. I don't hand on his every word, that would take a life time.
I do laugh at much of what he writes though.

High Plains Thumper

Oct 17, 2009, 12:09:58 PM10/17/09
Don Zeigler wrote:
> Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
>
>> Answer: dodging again.
>
> Speaking of answers, answer my questions.
>
> If you dislike Roy Schestowitz so much, why do you spend so
> much time following him around? Why do you monitor his site?
> Why do you listen to interviews with him? Why do you post
> endlessly about him? Why do yo hang on his every word?

Here is why:

From: "Gary M. Stewart" <gmstew...@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Another user loves Ubuntu
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2009 21:01:48 -0500

[quote]
On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 20:58:05 -0500, Don Zeigler wrote:

> Gary M. Stewart wrote:
>
>> "How Windows Ruined My Life"
>>
>> By "Fairy Tale"
>
> How I Wasted My Life Trolling COLA
>
> by Gary Stewart, aka flatfish and about 600 other nyms

It's made me A LOT of money....
A Best Seller you might say......
[/quote]

--
Il mittente di questo messaggio |The sender of this message
corrisponde ad un utente reale |corresponds to a real person

High Plains Thumper

Oct 17, 2009, 3:29:49 PM10/17/09
Marti van Lin wrote:
> Don Zeigler wrote:
>> Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
>>
>>> Ok, so I listened to this and have a short review.
>>
>> The time you devote to following the goings-on of a person
>> you supposedly despise is more than a little disturbing...
>
> No sane person is interested in Flatso's review of a interview
> with Roy Schestowitz. In the name of peace I will keep my
> thoughts about that interview to my self.
>
> All I want to say about it is that Jono Bacon made me aware of
> the fact that it's about time for me to move on and leave the
> Ubuntu ecosystem for what it is. It is crystal clear that
> Ubuntu is dominated by MONOMANIA. Fortunately Kubuntu doesn't
> suffer from that mental disease (yet).

I just did a quick look in Synaptic, after a couple upgrades from
Edubuntu.

Only thing using Mono is Evolution. Since it is not required, it
can be uninstalled, along with the Mono libraries. Nothing else
I see is using Mono, and all the rest is not installed by default.

- HPT

Tim Smith

Oct 17, 2009, 4:07:13 PM10/17/09
In article <hbbd3p$kos$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
Moshe Goldfarb <mosheg...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> http://twit.tv/FLOSS
>
> Download the mp3 file for October 15th 2009.
>
> BTW why are they using mp3 instead of ogg?

Lots of people listen to podcasts on portable players. MP3 support is
pretty much universal on portable players. Ogg support is not.

--
--Tim Smith

Moshe Goldfarb

Oct 17, 2009, 4:11:34 PM10/17/09

I know that :)
I was being sarcastic.

What did you think of the spot?

Ezekiel

Oct 17, 2009, 4:37:44 PM10/17/09

"Moshe Goldfarb" <mosheg...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Speaking for myself - I downloaded it but didn't listen to it yet. It's
over an hour long isn't it?

Tim Smith

Oct 17, 2009, 4:36:14 PM10/17/09
In article <hbbd3p$kos$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
Moshe Goldfarb <mosheg...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> First off, Roy really was ambushed, although he should have
> known what he was up against. Still, I do give him credit for
> appearing and defending himself. That's admirable.

He was told beforehand that the controversial aspects of BN would be
discussed. When you run a website that posts so many personal attacks
against so many members of the open source community, and can't back
most of its allegations with verifiable sources, you should not be
surprised if an interview conducted by someone with many many contacts
in that community, who personally knows many of the people you are
saying are evil paid shills, involves some tough questions.

Roy actually got off easy. During the live recording, there were people
in the chat room posting quotes and links to BN that were to some of
Roy's more extreme tin-foil hat statements. If the hosts had checked out
some of those and asked about them, it would have been a lot more
unpleasant for Roy.

> He should have been more prepared though.

According to a message on his IRC channel, he didn't prepare.

> You have a site named "boycottnovell" and you seemed surprised
> when the hosts mentioned that you offend a great many people
> with your site.

Roy tried the "all the critics are MS shills" tack, but Jono nailed him
on that, because Jono has extensive contacts in the open source
community, and *knows* many of the people that Roy attacks.

--
--Tim Smith

Ezekiel

Oct 17, 2009, 4:46:34 PM10/17/09

"Moshe Goldfarb" <mosheg...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Okay - I just listened to the first few minutes. Jono Bacon has a good
radio voice. He also sounds pleasant and entertaining. Schestowitz just
started talking - he sound even worse than last time. He sounds like he's
doing bong-hits while mumbling. I quit 5:18 into the podcast - enough for
now.

Tim Smith

Oct 17, 2009, 4:54:00 PM10/17/09
In article <1avlmy2mngp1m$.dlg@this.domain.or.that>,
Don Zeigler <sit...@this.computer> wrote:

> Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
>
> > Answer: dodging again.
>
> Speaking of answers, answer my questions.
>
> If you dislike Roy Schestowitz so much, why do you spend so much time
> following him around? Why do you monitor his site? Why do you listen to
> interviews with him? Why do you post endlessly about him? Why do yo hang on
> his every word?

The same could be asked about the numerous things you frequently post
complaints about.

--
--Tim Smith

Message has been deleted

Moshe Goldfarb

Oct 17, 2009, 7:59:25 PM10/17/09
On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 13:36:14 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

> In article <hbbd3p$kos$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
> Moshe Goldfarb <mosheg...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> First off, Roy really was ambushed, although he should have
>> known what he was up against. Still, I do give him credit for
>> appearing and defending himself. That's admirable.
>
> He was told beforehand that the controversial aspects of BN would be
> discussed. When you run a website that posts so many personal attacks
> against so many members of the open source community, and can't back
> most of its allegations with verifiable sources, you should not be
> surprised if an interview conducted by someone with many many contacts
> in that community, who personally knows many of the people you are
> saying are evil paid shills, involves some tough questions.

I didn't realize that Roy was aware ahead of time what he was in
for.
It just seemed to me that they came out of the gate immediately
like guard dogs turned loose.

> Roy actually got off easy. During the live recording, there were people
> in the chat room posting quotes and links to BN that were to some of
> Roy's more extreme tin-foil hat statements. If the hosts had checked out
> some of those and asked about them, it would have been a lot more
> unpleasant for Roy.

I didn't listen live.
Are the logs of the chat room archived anyplace?

>> He should have been more prepared though.
>
> According to a message on his IRC channel, he didn't prepare.

You're kidding?
That just doesn't seem to intelligent.

>> You have a site named "boycottnovell" and you seemed surprised
>> when the hosts mentioned that you offend a great many people
>> with your site.
>
> Roy tried the "all the critics are MS shills" tack, but Jono nailed him
> on that, because Jono has extensive contacts in the open source
> community, and *knows* many of the people that Roy attacks.

I picked that up.
Jono kept drilling at Roy and Roy kept playing the"everyone is
out to get me because they are paid shills" routine.

It was quite lame and almost embarrassing to listen to.

Moshe Goldfarb

Oct 17, 2009, 8:00:10 PM10/17/09

It gets better later on.
Roy really starts squirming.

Moshe Goldfarb

Oct 17, 2009, 8:02:58 PM10/17/09
On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 20:52:27 +0000 (UTC), Black Dragon wrote:

> I almost fell asleep listening to it because it was basically the same
> tired old crap posted here on cola since I started reading it a decade
> ago regurgitated onto a more prevalent medium of distribution.

> Roy: "Boo hoo hoo, mean old Microsoft is not helping Linux despite
> having its own products to sell".
>
> Hosts: "This guy is totally deranged but we should be nice to him so
> as not to damage our own reputations".
>
> Yes, it was that obvious.

Hahaha!

I think they might have had Roy on for a little comic relief!
It sure seemed that way.

One classic comment was when one of the hosts said to Roy
something like" did it ever occur to you that maybe the people
who are explaining to you that you are doing more damage than
good, might actually be correct and you might be the one who is
wrong" ?

Roy seemed totally taken back that someone would even ask
something like that.
Of course his reply was "uhhh, no".

Ezekiel

Oct 18, 2009, 8:58:16 AM10/18/09

"Moshe Goldfarb" <mosheg...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I'm sure there's a lot of things that have never occurred to Schestowitz.
The child is too blinded by his hate and zealotry to think straight.

Ezekiel

Oct 18, 2009, 10:52:56 AM10/18/09

"Moshe Goldfarb" <mosheg...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

(From other thread)

> -BNc/#boycottnovell-[ml2mst] Very disappointed by the FLOSS
> Weekly interview with Roy Schestowitz. IMHO Jono Bacon was
> unreasonably hostile towards Roy. Oct 17 10:41
> Diablo-D3 is ml2mst on twitter?

"Unreasonably hostile" WTF???? I thought that for the most part Jono
pitched Schestowitz a bunch of softballs. His FLOSS weekly show would be an
absolute JOKE if he ignored the huge white elephant in the room.

Jono Bacon would be 'laughing stock' of the open-source world (a position
currently held by Roy Schestowitz) if he talked to Roy for an hour and
never once brought this up. If Schestowitz wants to make *highly
inaccurate* claims and issue personal attacks against the *real* leaders of
the Open Source community then Schestowitz should be prepared to defend
what he says and does. It's ridiculous to think that the real FOSS
community is going to ignore his lies and hypocrisy and just look the other
way - that's what "cola" advocates do.

Roy Schestowitz is all about "fauxpen" source. Many of the people that he
attacks are "Open Source."

Moshe Goldfarb

Oct 18, 2009, 11:01:03 AM10/18/09

That's the crux of it and obviously Jono knows more about
Schestowitz's operation than he letting out of the bag.

Tim hit the nail on the head.

Jono knows the very people, personally, that Roy Schestowitz
attacks on a daily basis and he poses the question as to what
Roy's motives are.
Roy couldn't answer it other than to state and re-state that he
understands how people could take his motives the wrong way but
that he can't control what these people say and do.

Yea, that's like planting a gun in a 3 year old's hands and
telling him not to pull the trigger.

I enjoyed the part where Jono calls the BN cult to task by
bringing up the well known fact that some of the cast of losers,
one in particular, has well over 16 different nyms on Slashdot.

That was Twitter, aka twatter....

Roy of course played the "I can't control these people" card.
The thing is he doesn't object to them doing his dirty work for
him.

IOW spread the word about Linux no matter how many lies it is
based upon.

All in all, Roy looked and sounded like an idiot and it's
obvious that the real leaders in the community just wish he
would go away.

Ezekiel

Oct 18, 2009, 11:28:52 AM10/18/09

"Moshe Goldfarb" <mosheg...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I did see Tim's post and it makes a lot of sense. Like Schestowitz in his
interview, the "advocates" here in COLA cannot defend their "leader."
Here's the bottom line of what's happening.

*** Group "A" ***
These are the people like Linus Torvalds, Mark Shuttleworth, Jono Bacon,
Miguel de Icaza, etc. They *work* together and they develop *Linux* and
major Linux subsystems together. They all go to large Linux shows and
conferences together. They give keynote speeches at the Linux conferences.
They all work with Linux developers at IBM, Redhat, etc to enhance Linux.

*** Group "B" ***
This are people like Roy Schestowitz, Homer and 7. These people don't
contribute a single thing to Linux. They're a bunch of nobody wanna-be's
who spread lies, distort the facts and lanch personal attacks against the
people in group A that they disagree with.

So the $64 thousand dollar question is - Which of these two groups are the
"leaders" of the Linux community and which of the two groups are the losers
and posers?

> All in all, Roy looked and sounded like an idiot and it's
> obvious that the real leaders in the community just wish he
> would go away.

*Normal* people would agree that Group A above are the actual leaders of
the Linux community. Any normal person who listens to that podcast would
realize that Schestowitz came across as a completely clueless and bitter
child who has absolutely no idea of what he's doing.