Mint holds steady with Gnome 2.32.1

7

May 28, 2011, 6:47:25 AM5/28/11
Mint holds steady with Gnome 2.32.1
-----------------------------------

Fedora has gone Gnome3, Ubuntu has gone Unity,
and Ubuntu derivate Mint has gone with previous version
of Gnome spruced up.
There is also Xubuntu and Kubuntu and also newest Lubuntu.

Interesting times.

I'd use unity more if I can find a way to reduce its vertical bar
width and turn it translucent.

It is an old psychological thing - the eye is EXTREMELY SENSITIVE
to vertical bars in its field of view.
Also, I have compiz cube set to 16 faces and translucent.
The vertical bar should follow the cube rotate and not remain rigid and
static to the left side while the cube is rotating.

Hadron

May 28, 2011, 6:03:53 AM5/28/11
7 <email_at_www_at_en...@enemygadgets.com> writes:

So fix it big guy! You have the source!

By definition Ubuntu should never have gone to Unity.

TomB

May 28, 2011, 7:15:01 AM5/28/11
On 2011-05-28, the following emerged from the brain of Hadron:

> By definition Ubuntu should never have gone to Unity.

Wow, by definition even!

--
Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes...
~ Frank Drebin

TomB

May 28, 2011, 7:13:50 AM5/28/11
On 2011-05-28, the following emerged from the brain of 7:

> Mint holds steady with Gnome 2.32.1
> -----------------------------------
>
> http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS9073023760.html
>
> Fedora has gone Gnome3, Ubuntu has gone Unity, and Ubuntu derivate
> Mint has gone with previous version of Gnome spruced up. There is
> also Xubuntu and Kubuntu and also newest Lubuntu.
>
> Interesting times.

Yes, they are. The GNU/Linux desktop is in motion like it has never
been before. So many new challenges and ways to do things. Of course
things will be flaky at first, but they soon will level out nicely.

> I'd use unity more if I can find a way to reduce its vertical bar
> width and turn it translucent.

Hmm, the launcher /is/ translucent by default, and you can set the
icon size (and thus width) in CCSM > Unity Plugin > Experimental. I'm
sure Canonical will soon provide a dedicated 'launcher settings'
option screen.

> It is an old psychological thing - the eye is EXTREMELY SENSITIVE to
> vertical bars in its field of view. Also, I have compiz cube set to
> 16 faces and translucent. The vertical bar should follow the cube
> rotate and not remain rigid and static to the left side while the
> cube is rotating.

Yes, that's stupid.

--
Het minimumgewicht van de Belgische soldaat
zou honderdzestig kilo moeten zijn.

Hadron

May 28, 2011, 6:22:19 AM5/28/11
TomB <tommy.b...@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2011-05-28, the following emerged from the brain of Hadron:
>>
>> By definition Ubuntu should never have gone to Unity.
>
> Wow, by definition even!

You seem to be confused. What word games are you playing now?

TomB

May 28, 2011, 8:00:16 AM5/28/11
On 2011-05-28, the following emerged from the brain of Hadron:
> TomB <tommy.b...@gmail.com> writes:
>> On 2011-05-28, the following emerged from the brain of Hadron:
>>>
>>> By definition Ubuntu should never have gone to Unity.
>>
>> Wow, by definition even!
>
> You seem to be confused. What word games are you playing now?

I've been playing scrabble yesterday.

--
Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons.
~ Woody Allen

7

May 28, 2011, 9:26:28 AM5/28/11
TomB wrote:

> On 2011-05-28, the following emerged from the brain of 7:
>> Mint holds steady with Gnome 2.32.1
>> -----------------------------------
>>
>> http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS9073023760.html
>>
>> Fedora has gone Gnome3, Ubuntu has gone Unity, and Ubuntu derivate
>> Mint has gone with previous version of Gnome spruced up. There is
>> also Xubuntu and Kubuntu and also newest Lubuntu.
>>
>> Interesting times.
>
> Yes, they are. The GNU/Linux desktop is in motion like it has never
> been before. So many new challenges and ways to do things. Of course
> things will be flaky at first, but they soon will level out nicely.
>
>> I'd use unity more if I can find a way to reduce its vertical bar
>> width and turn it translucent.
>
> Hmm, the launcher /is/ translucent by default, and you can set the
> icon size (and thus width) in CCSM > Unity Plugin > Experimental. I'm
> sure Canonical will soon provide a dedicated 'launcher settings'
> option screen.

Thank you I never noticed it in Compiz Config Settings Manager
the Unity Plugin and the Experimental tab.
There is a translucent setting there, but thats for the menu bar
at the top. In the other tab I found option to autohide the vertical
bar which made an immense improvement. The icon size I also found
and that reduced the width of the bar - again a big improvement.

>> It is an old psychological thing - the eye is EXTREMELY SENSITIVE to
>> vertical bars in its field of view. Also, I have compiz cube set to
>> 16 faces and translucent. The vertical bar should follow the cube
>> rotate and not remain rigid and static to the left side while the
>> cube is rotating.
>
> Yes, that's stupid.

Autohide is a good way to get rid of the vertical bar and now things
are looking very much on the up.

Still feel a bit disgruntled having to search for applications.
It is hard enough to know all your apps in time, to then have to
go guess the names of those apps makes it hard work to use a computer.
Computers are supposed to help you by reminding you of a huge number
of things it can do by letting it all hang out on big menus that
have been categorized meaningfully.
I remember discovering rasmol through one of these menu options in the
education menu in a big remastered distro of knoppix called quantian.
Loosing the big applications menu is a bit like loosing the plot.

Snit

May 28, 2011, 9:55:35 AM5/28/11
TomB stated in post 201105281...@usenet.drumscum.be on 5/28/11 4:13
AM:

> On 2011-05-28, the following emerged from the brain of 7:
>> Mint holds steady with Gnome 2.32.1
>> -----------------------------------
>>
>> http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS9073023760.html
>>
>> Fedora has gone Gnome3, Ubuntu has gone Unity, and Ubuntu derivate
>> Mint has gone with previous version of Gnome spruced up. There is
>> also Xubuntu and Kubuntu and also newest Lubuntu.
>>
>> Interesting times.
>
> Yes, they are. The GNU/Linux desktop is in motion like it has never
> been before. So many new challenges and ways to do things. Of course
> things will be flaky at first, but they soon will level out nicely.

As I have been predicting for years, there will come a time when the desktop
Linux UIs will be heavily revamped with a focus on usability. This, I
think, may be one of those steps. We shall see as time goes on.

>> I'd use unity more if I can find a way to reduce its vertical bar
>> width and turn it translucent.
>
> Hmm, the launcher /is/ translucent by default, and you can set the
> icon size (and thus width) in CCSM > Unity Plugin > Experimental. I'm
> sure Canonical will soon provide a dedicated 'launcher settings'
> option screen.

Yes. And make it more flexible and powerful.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

TomB

May 28, 2011, 10:18:44 AM5/28/11

Glad I could help you this time. Last time I pointed you to ccsm you
ended up with a broken desktop ;-)

--
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns
on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.

Homer

May 28, 2011, 11:15:09 AM5/28/11
Verily I say unto thee, that 7 spake thusly:

> Also, I have compiz cube set to 16 faces

Isn't that a hexadecagon, rather than a cube?

Out of curiosity, if you put all of flatty's faces together, what sort
of polyhedron would that be?

--
K. | "The poor have flat-screen TVs."
http://slated.org | ~ Libertarian propagandist Keith

7

May 28, 2011, 11:30:02 AM5/28/11
Homer wrote:

> Verily I say unto thee, that 7 spake thusly:
>
>> Also, I have compiz cube set to 16 faces
>
> Isn't that a hexadecagon, rather than a cube?
>
> Out of curiosity, if you put all of flatty's faces together, what sort
> of polyhedron would that be?

It would still be flat so that it can settle to the bottom
with ease.

TomB

May 28, 2011, 11:40:44 AM5/28/11
On 2011-05-28, the following emerged from the brain of Homer:

> polyhadron

Oh my God. Shoot it NOW!

--
If The Flintstones has taught us anything, it's that pelicans
can be used to mix cement.

RonB

May 28, 2011, 4:44:48 PM5/28/11
On Sat, 28 May 2011 11:47:25 +0100, 7 wrote:

> I'd use unity more if I can find a way to reduce its vertical bar width
> and turn it translucent.

When I saw the vertical bar and the huge icons my first and only response
was "not interested."

--
RonB
Registered Linux User #498581

Chris Ahlstrom

May 28, 2011, 5:00:13 PM5/28/11
Homer wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> Verily I say unto thee, that 7 spake thusly:
>
>> Also, I have compiz cube set to 16 faces
>
> Isn't that a hexadecagon, rather than a cube?
>
> Out of curiosity, if you put all of flatty's faces together, what sort
> of polyhedron would that be?

Out of curiosity, if you put all of flatty's faeces together, what sort
of polyhadron would that be?

Corrected.

--
Think honk if you're a telepath.

Gregory Shearman

May 28, 2011, 5:46:09 PM5/28/11
On 2011-05-28, TomB <tommy.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2011-05-28, the following emerged from the brain of Homer:
>>
>> polyhadron
>
> Oh my God. Shoot it NOW!

There's more than *one*? Oh... My... God...

--
Regards,
Gregory.

Sinister Midget III

May 28, 2011, 5:46:16 PM5/28/11
On 2011-05-28, RonB <ronb02...@gmail.com> claimed:

> On Sat, 28 May 2011 11:47:25 +0100, 7 wrote:
>
>> I'd use unity more if I can find a way to reduce its vertical bar width
>> and turn it translucent.
>
> When I saw the vertical bar and the huge icons my first and only response
> was "not interested."

That's why I changed to Gnome. Then LXDE, then Gnome again. And as soon
as the more recent Mint releases the LXDE version, I'm moving to that.

Maybe I'll even update my old desktop at that time, too. Currently it's
stuck with Mint 4 or 6 (can't recall). They don't provide updates any
more for whichever version it is, so I've been handling it all myself.

--
Multitasking: Reading in the bathroom
Aspire One, Ubuntu 11.04

Homer

May 28, 2011, 11:54:18 PM5/28/11
Verily I say unto thee, that Chris Ahlstrom spake thusly:

Polyhadron! LOL!

Flatty gave birth to Microsoft's pet parrot through his arse.
[whistle]
Total faecal humiliation.
[squawk]

I hereby dub thee Godecahadron.

RonB

May 29, 2011, 12:37:40 AM5/29/11
On Sat, 28 May 2011 16:46:16 -0500, Sinister Midget III wrote:

> On 2011-05-28, RonB <ronb02...@gmail.com> claimed:
>> On Sat, 28 May 2011 11:47:25 +0100, 7 wrote:
>>
>>> I'd use unity more if I can find a way to reduce its vertical bar
>>> width and turn it translucent.
>>
>> When I saw the vertical bar and the huge icons my first and only
>> response was "not interested."
>
> That's why I changed to Gnome. Then LXDE, then Gnome again. And as soon
> as the more recent Mint releases the LXDE version, I'm moving to that.
>
> Maybe I'll even update my old desktop at that time, too. Currently it's
> stuck with Mint 4 or 6 (can't recall). They don't provide updates any
> more for whichever version it is, so I've been handling it all myself.

I like Mint better than Ubuntu. Even when they were both using Gnome I
liked the way Mint set it up. I also like the fact that Mint installs the
codecs for playing DVDs, etc. I've tried an older version of LXDE and it
worked fine. The main thing I don't like about Ubuntu/Mint now is the
Noveau nVidia driver and the hoops you have to jump through to get the
proprietary nVidia driver installed instead. But Noveau is getting better
and I do have a pretty old card (GForce4 MX440).

Tattoo Vampire

May 29, 2011, 1:26:24 AM5/29/11
Homer wrote:

> Out of curiosity, if you put all of flatty's faces together, what sort
> of polyhedron would that be?

I dunno but it would still be a giant horses' ass.
--
Best regards,
[tv]

Tattoo Vampire

May 29, 2011, 1:28:49 AM5/29/11
RonB wrote:

> I like Mint better than Ubuntu. Even when they were both using Gnome I
> liked the way Mint set it up. I also like the fact that Mint installs the
> codecs for playing DVDs, etc. I've tried an older version of LXDE and it
> worked fine. The main thing I don't like about Ubuntu/Mint now is the
> Noveau nVidia driver and the hoops you have to jump through to get the
> proprietary nVidia driver installed instead. But Noveau is getting better
> and I do have a pretty old card (GForce4 MX440).

Mint is probably the best distro for anyone moving over from Windows, or for
the average user who wants a functional environment where everything simply
works as it's supposed to.

I went from PCLinuxOS to Ubuntu to Mint, and with Mint I'll stay.

RonB

May 29, 2011, 2:09:56 AM5/29/11

I've got three distributions on this computer. CentOS, VectorLinux and
Linux Mint 10. VectorLinux is like Mint in that it comes with all the
codecs and works "out of the box" with DVDs, MP3s, etc. But it uses XFce
(VL Standard) and it's not quite as automatic as Gnome, so that may turn
some people off. CentOS is "just" Red Hat, not the best desktop Linux, but
works well when you get it set up with codecs, etc. It's also on my
laptop. I mostly use it because 1) I keep telling myself I'm going to get
Red Hat Linux certified, 2) It's what Asterisk uses by default, and 3)
It's rock solid. Linux Mint is there because my Dad uses it and I
sometimes support him by phone -- so it's nice to be able to go step-by-
step with him. It's also fun to play with a cutting edge distribution from
time to time.

It usually works out that I'll boot back into the same Linux I used the
last time -- unless I have a specific reason to boot into another. So I'll
go three weeks to a month using the same distribution and not even realize
it. This kind of makes me realize that I could be happy with most Linux
distributions, since they're all so customizable anyhow. I really don't
even realize which one I'm using anymore when I jump from one distribution
to another. When it comes down to it, Linux is Linux -- any distribution,
in my opinion, is better than Windows or OS X.

Snit

May 29, 2011, 2:52:55 AM5/29/11
RonB stated in post irsnvk$4v0$1...@dont-email.me on 5/28/11 11:09 PM:

All this talk of choice... but here you are saying the distros are all
pretty much the same. Interesting.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

Sinister Midget III

May 29, 2011, 4:21:18 AM5/29/11
On 2011-05-29, RonB <ronb02...@gmail.com> claimed:

My netbook has an Intel card. Both netbooks, actually, but I only
really use one of them much. The desktop has ATI. All work fine with
almost everything as-is. The old desktop, especially, doesn't matter
any more since I really only use it as a server, storage and a little
content filtering.

--
A Smith & Wesson *ALWAYS* beats 4 Aces.

Sinister Midget III

May 29, 2011, 4:24:47 AM5/29/11
On 2011-05-29, Tattoo Vampire <sit...@this.computer> claimed:

> Mint is probably the best distro for anyone moving over from Windows, or for
> the average user who wants a functional environment where everything simply
> works as it's supposed to.
>
> I went from PCLinuxOS to Ubuntu to Mint, and with Mint I'll stay.

I stick mostly with Mint. But I like Peppermint, too. And Lubuntu. I
also like to play around with others to see how they're doing and/or
what's new.

I'm not an Ubuntu fan. But I install it sometimes just to see what's
going on with it. Like now.

Clogwog

May 29, 2011, 4:40:46 AM5/29/11
"Tattoo Vampire" <sit...@this.computer> schreef in bericht

What a great blessing!
*One* Windows Vista since 2007, running flawlessly, on this machine, no need
to install, crapware distro after crapware distro after crapware distro!
What's the distro of next week, Don?
Windows users sure are the lucky ones on this planet, I hope you're one of
them! :-p

An Old Friend

May 29, 2011, 9:11:24 AM5/29/11
On Sat, 28 May 2011 23:52:55 -0700, Snit chiseled
CA073B57.99B7C%use...@gallopinginsanity.com in stone using Trajan:

A decent analogy is found in churches: When it comes down to it,
mainstream Christianity is mainstream Christianity; core beliefs such as
the divinity of Jesus, the Trinity, and salvation through faith and grace
are held by all the mainstream denominations. Yet all those denominations
practice their faith in different ways, creating very different
experiences of Christianity for its followers.

At first glance, it may appear that the Episcopal Church and the
Pentecostal Holiness Church are completely different from each other; but
they hold the same core beliefs that define them as Christian religions.
The widely varying differences in worship style allow Christians to make a
choice between denominations based upon personal preference.

Chris Ahlstrom

May 29, 2011, 8:35:07 AM5/29/11
An Old Friend wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> On Sat, 28 May 2011 23:52:55 -0700, Snit chiseled

>> RonB stated in post irsnvk$4v0$1...@dont-email.me on 5/28/11 11:09 PM:
>>> On Sun, 29 May 2011 01:28:49 -0400, Tattoo Vampire wrote:
>>> It usually works out that I'll boot back into the same Linux I used the
>>> last time -- unless I have a specific reason to boot into another. So
>>> I'll go three weeks to a month using the same distribution and not even
>>> realize it. This kind of makes me realize that I could be happy with
>>> most Linux distributions, since they're all so customizable anyhow. I
>>> really don't even realize which one I'm using anymore when I jump from
>>> one distribution to another. When it comes down to it, Linux is Linux
>>> -- any distribution, in my opinion, is better than Windows or OS X.
>>
>> All this talk of choice... but here you are saying the distros are all
>> pretty much the same. Interesting.
>

> A decent analogy is found in churches...

Nah. Football (soccer) clubs. They're all about the same, and yet people
have favorites.

And they also tailor their fan experience to their preferences.

Imagine that.

Have you ever noticed that threads involving Snit, Flounder, DFS, "Hadron",
Big Steel, Ezekiel, are a basically a waste of time?

--
There are no manifestos like cannon and musketry.
-- The Duke of Wellington

Tattoo Vampire

May 29, 2011, 8:38:26 AM5/29/11
Snit wrote:

> All this talk of choice... but here you are saying the distros are all
> pretty much the same. Interesting.

Dragging out yet another tired old troll, eh, Snit?

Tattoo Vampire

May 29, 2011, 8:39:12 AM5/29/11
Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> Have you ever noticed that threads involving Snit, Flounder, DFS, "Hadron",
> Big Steel, Ezekiel, are a basically a waste of time?

LOL

flatfish+++

May 29, 2011, 9:25:33 AM5/29/11
On Sun, 29 May 2011 08:35:07 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> Have you ever noticed that threads involving Snit, Flounder, DFS, "Hadron",
> Big Steel, Ezekiel, are a basically a waste of time?

The question is if you have us kill filed and filtered, like you claim,
why are *you* noticing?

--
flatfish+++
Please visit our hall of Linux idiots.

Watching Linux Fail:
http://limuxwatch.blogspot.com/

Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead
"By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta
in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory."
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html

Hadron

May 29, 2011, 9:25:59 AM5/29/11
flatfish+++ <flat...@marianatrench.com> writes:

> On Sun, 29 May 2011 08:35:07 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>
>> Have you ever noticed that threads involving Snit, Flounder, DFS, "Hadron",
>> Big Steel, Ezekiel, are a basically a waste of time?
>
> The question is if you have us kill filed and filtered, like you claim,
> why are *you* noticing?

Because he's a nasty little hypocritical suck up.

I post more Linux advocacy than that little creep.

nessuno

May 29, 2011, 11:44:40 AM5/29/11
On May 29, 8:35 am, Chris Ahlstrom <ahlstr...@xzoozy.com> wrote:
> An Old Friend wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>

> > On Sat, 28 May 2011 23:52:55 -0700, Snit chiseled
> >> RonB stated in post irsnvk$4v...@dont-email.me on 5/28/11 11:09 PM:

> >> All this talk of choice... but here you are saying the distros are all
> >> pretty much the same.  Interesting.
>
> > A decent analogy is found in churches...
>
> Nah.  Football (soccer) clubs.  They're all about the same, and yet people
> have favorites.
>
> And they also tailor their fan experience to their preferences.
>
> Imagine that.
>
> Have you ever noticed that threads involving Snit, Flounder, DFS, "Hadron",
> Big Steel, Ezekiel, are a basically a waste of time?

Yep. I don't read them.

Steven McClain

May 29, 2011, 11:50:07 AM5/29/11

>"nessuno" <nessu...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>On May 29, 8:35 am, Chris Ahlstrom <ahlstr...@xzoozy.com> wrote:
>> An Old Friend wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>>
>> Imagine that.
>>
>> Have you ever noticed that threads involving Snit, Flounder, DFS,
>> "Hadron",
>> Big Steel, Ezekiel, are a basically a waste of time?
>
>Yep. I don't read them.

Have you ever noticed that all "advocates" ever do is talk about trolls and
then leg-hump each other on how they don't read troll posts?

flatfish+++

May 29, 2011, 12:00:22 PM5/29/11

Yep.
It's all they can talk about because obviously they can't talk about
Linux advocacy.
Most of them use Windows.

--
flatfish+++
Please visit our hall of Linux idiots.
http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

Linux's dismal desktop market share:

http://royal.pingdom.com/2011/05/12/the-top-20-strongholds-for-desktop-linux/

Snit

May 29, 2011, 12:16:49 PM5/29/11
Tattoo Vampire stated in post c8zr2u64...@sitting.at.this.computer on
5/29/11 5:38 AM:

> Snit wrote:
>
>> All this talk of choice... but here you are saying the distros are all
>> pretty much the same. Interesting.
>
> Dragging out yet another tired old troll, eh, Snit?

I am not the one who made the claim. I noted it.

How *horrible* of me!

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

Snit

May 29, 2011, 12:17:28 PM5/29/11
Hadron stated in post fdwrh97...@news.eternal-september.org on 5/29/11
6:25 AM:

Chris A. is just trolling... sucking up to the herd.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

Snit

May 29, 2011, 1:31:33 PM5/29/11
An Old Friend stated in post 4de237ec$1...@news.x-privat.org on 5/29/11 6:11
AM:

I think this is a good analogy - people have an almost religious devotion to
the different distros or, even more so, to the concept of "choice" itself -
but just having lots of choices does not really offer much benefit. It is
better to have fewer better choices than to have more choices with none
being as high quality as the better ones offered.

From a recently reported story from Forbes: Apparently the CEO of Nike (Mark
Parker) contacted Steve Jobs to ask him for his advice. Jobs responded
with:

Nike makes some of the best products in the world. Products that
you lust after. But you also make a lot of crap. Just get rid of
the crappy stuff and focus on the good stuff

In other words: you have a lot of choice now... but many of the choices are
bad choices. Reduce the choices, getting rid of the bad ones, and focus on
making the good choices even better. This is something that is not handled
well by the OSS community - by its very nature. Still, if you look at the
new KDE, the developers are getting that sometimes the best innovation is to
eliminate items, at least by default. It is a good trend for OSS and one
that will help to have desktop Linux be adopted by more people.

But to digress a bit: the "choices" of many distros really do not benefit
more people. To the contrary, it leads to confusion and is a deterrent to
adoption. This does *not* mean I think there should be a "culling
committee" or any of the other BS I am accused of wanting - nor do I not see
the benefit of having many "play grounds" for different ideas and different
philosophies. Ubuntu with Unity is a great example of this (though Unity
needs a fair amount of work itself).

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

Snit

May 29, 2011, 1:48:11 PM5/29/11
flatfish+++ stated in post 1xunz15y3lnyy.1xlp6ym9pget7$.d...@40tude.net on
5/29/11 6:25 AM:

> On Sun, 29 May 2011 08:35:07 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

>> Have you ever noticed that threads involving Snit, Flounder, DFS, "Hadron",
>> Big Steel, Ezekiel, are a basically a waste of time?
>
> The question is if you have us kill filed and filtered, like you claim,
> why are *you* noticing?

LOL! Because, as I have noted, most of the claims of kill filtering are
lies... the "advocates" just know they cannot defend their clearly faulty
claims and accusations.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

Snit

May 29, 2011, 1:49:14 PM5/29/11
Steven McClain stated in post irtpvl$2db$1...@speranza.aioe.org on 5/29/11 8:50
AM:

I bet that is at least half of the "advocate" posts. They spend more time
stroking their herd members than actually trying to make points. And when
they do make points, they run from all contrary views... no matter how
strong the evidence.

In general, the "advocates" are very insecure about their views.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

RonB

May 29, 2011, 3:02:10 PM5/29/11

Snit completely missed my analysis of each of the distributions, and why I
chose them. He also failed to comment on the flexibility of Linux Desktops
-- which allows me to make XFce "look and feel" almost the same as Gnome
(after I've customized it to my taste). But in the end, it's about the
applications you run on top of Linux -- and, since I use the same ones
with each distribution, it's easy to put the Desktop in the "background."
That's mostly because of the ability to customize Linux Desktops --
something you don't get with Windows or OS X.

Snit

May 29, 2011, 3:19:34 PM5/29/11
RonB stated in post iru57h$a3c$4...@dont-email.me on 5/29/11 12:02 PM:

No, Snit noted how you admitted they are all pretty much the same, to the
point that you claim to not even realize which one you are using:

RonB:
-----

I really don't even realize which one I'm using anymore when
I jump from one distribution to another. When it comes down
to it, Linux is Linux -- any distribution

-----

> He also failed to comment on the flexibility of Linux Desktops
> -- which allows me to make XFce "look and feel" almost the same as Gnome
> (after I've customized it to my taste).

Oh no! I did not comment about everything you said. Man, I am evil.

> But in the end, it's about the applications you run on top of Linux --

Sure: and that is a large part of the reason why it is not better adopted.
The overall environment, however, all plays into that.

> and, since I use the same ones with each distribution, it's easy to put the
> Desktop in the "background." That's mostly because of the ability to customize
> Linux Desktops -- something you don't get with Windows or OS X.

Can you give some specific examples where you have benefits others do not?
Something you use?

There are some, perhaps: but overall, having fewer *better* options is more
beneficial than having more options just to have options.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

RonB

May 29, 2011, 4:36:57 PM5/29/11
On Sun, 29 May 2011 08:38:26 -0400, Tattoo Vampire wrote:

> Snit wrote:
>
>> All this talk of choice... but here you are saying the distros are all
>> pretty much the same. Interesting.
>
> Dragging out yet another tired old troll, eh, Snit?

It will never end. Cranks don't get tired of monotony.

Snit

May 29, 2011, 4:53:03 PM5/29/11
RonB stated in post iruap9$ngb$1...@dont-email.me on 5/29/11 1:36 PM:

> On Sun, 29 May 2011 08:38:26 -0400, Tattoo Vampire wrote:
>
>> Snit wrote:
>>
>>> All this talk of choice... but here you are saying the distros are all
>>> pretty much the same. Interesting.
>>
>> Dragging out yet another tired old troll, eh, Snit?
>
> It will never end. Cranks don't get tired of monotony.

RonB:
-----

I really don't even realize which one I'm using anymore when
I jump from one distribution to another. When it comes down
to it, Linux is Linux -- any distribution

-----

That is what I was commenting on. Compare that to the meme in COLA that the
different distros offer a great deal of choice. It is an interesting
dichotomy.

But RonB has no answer for it... so he calls people names. Oh well... it is
the best he can do.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

Tattoo Vampire

May 29, 2011, 5:20:03 PM5/29/11
Snit wrote:

> RonB:

Dragging out yet another tired old troll, eh, Snit?

Snit

May 29, 2011, 5:25:37 PM5/29/11
Tattoo Vampire stated in post ujn5js5e1daq$.dlg@sitting.at.this.computer on
5/29/11 2:20 PM:

> Snit wrote:
>
>> RonB:
>> -----
>> I really don't even realize which one I'm using anymore when
>> I jump from one distribution to another. When it comes down
>> to it, Linux is Linux -- any distribution
>> -----
>>
>> That is what I was commenting on. Compare that to the meme in COLA that the
>> different distros offer a great deal of choice. It is an interesting
>> dichotomy.
>>
>> But RonB has no answer for it... so he calls people names. Oh well... it is
>> the best he can do.
>

> Dragging out yet another tired old troll, eh, Snit?

And you show you have no greater ability to support anything than does RonB.
Both of you are very insecure in your beliefs, hence your trolling.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

Tattoo Vampire

May 29, 2011, 5:29:19 PM5/29/11
Snit wrote:

Dragging out yet another tired old troll, eh, Snit?

--
Best regards,
[tv]
Owner, Trollus Amongus LLC

Random "Deep Thought by Jack Handey": Love is not something you can put
chains on and throw into a lake. That's called Houdini. Love is liking
someone a lot.

flatfish+++

May 29, 2011, 5:30:24 PM5/29/11
On Sun, 29 May 2011 17:29:19 -0400, Tattoo Vampire wrote:

> Snit wrote:

> Dragging out yet another tired old troll, eh, Snit?

Linux hasn't managed to succeed in 20 years.
Not much has changed.

Snit

May 29, 2011, 5:45:08 PM5/29/11
flatfish+++ stated in post leht7zach7it$.1gbkk6cg5suwv$.d...@40tude.net on
5/29/11 2:30 PM:

> On Sun, 29 May 2011 17:29:19 -0400, Tattoo Vampire wrote:
>
>> Snit wrote:

>> Dragging out yet another tired old troll, eh, Snit?
>
> Linux hasn't managed to succeed in 20 years.
> Not much has changed.

As a reminder of what got Tattoo all worked up:

RonB:
-----
I really don't even realize which one I'm using anymore when
I jump from one distribution to another. When it comes down
to it, Linux is Linux -- any distribution
-----

He claims this, which is from RonB *today*, is a "tired old troll"

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

DFS

May 29, 2011, 7:11:12 PM5/29/11

They're so embarrassed by RonB's admission that choice doesn't really
matter at all to him: "I don't realize which one I'm using anymore when

I jump from one distribution to another."

That's probably worth a thread, since it undermines what the bozos have
been saying for years.

DFS

May 29, 2011, 7:12:20 PM5/29/11
On 5/29/2011 5:29 PM, Tattoo Vampire wrote:
> Snit wrote:

> Dragging out yet another tired old troll, eh, Snit?

"tired old troll" is you, big buy, when you hit the big 5-0 and found
out you got winded waddling from the living room to the fridge.

flatfish+++

May 29, 2011, 7:19:46 PM5/29/11

hahaha!
Very visual....

Snit

May 29, 2011, 7:38:46 PM5/29/11
DFS stated in post irujqs$cj1$1...@dont-email.me on 5/29/11 4:11 PM:

All these distros are very, very important - even though at least one
"advocate" cannot tell them apart. Lovely.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

Hadron

May 29, 2011, 6:51:36 PM5/29/11
DFS <nos...@dfs.com> writes:

Or, and more likely, that it proves what we've thought of him for ages :
he's a clueless idiot that knows jack.