GNU/Linux on the road

1 view

TomB

May 27, 2010, 1:21:15 PM5/27/10
At this very moment I'm waiting in my car outside my oldest daughters
music class. I brought my laptop and someone in this street was kind
enough to leave his wireless network unprotected. The little freetard
in my is very happy.

I've open an ssh connection to my box at home and re-attached my screen
session running slrn, mutt and ncmpc. I'm using ncmpc to play some
tunes, which are streamed onto the internet at large using my icecast2
server, and I'm playing that stream right now with mplayer.

Of course I'm also reading up on my email and posting this on usenet.
All this is done from ttys to save my laptop's battery, as I don't
have an car adaptor.

All GNU/Linux, all kick-ass, all just works.

--
BOFH excuse #285:

Telecommunications is upgrading.

Snit

May 27, 2010, 1:47:39 PM5/27/10
TomB stated in post 20100527...@usenet.drumscum.be on 5/27/10 10:21
AM:

You do all of that with GNU/Linux. No. Based on your recent claims this is
not possible... it sounds like you are using some distro of GNU/Linux which,
as you say, is not GNU/Linux.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

TomB

May 27, 2010, 2:26:16 PM5/27/10
On 2010-05-27, the following emerged from the brain of Snit:

> TomB stated in post 20100527...@usenet.drumscum.be on 5/27/10 10:21
> AM:
>
>> At this very moment I'm waiting in my car outside my oldest
>> daughters music class. I brought my laptop and someone in this
>> street was kind enough to leave his wireless network unprotected.
>> The little freetard in my is very happy.
>>
>> I've open an ssh connection to my box at home and re-attached my
>> screen session running slrn, mutt and ncmpc. I'm using ncmpc to
>> play some tunes, which are streamed onto the internet at large
>> using my icecast2 server, and I'm playing that stream right now
>> with mplayer.
>>
>> Of course I'm also reading up on my email and posting this on
>> usenet. All this is done from ttys to save my laptop's battery, as
>> I don't have an car adaptor.
>>
>> All GNU/Linux, all kick-ass, all just works.
>
> You do all of that with GNU/Linux. No.

Hmm, let's see...

acer:~ % uname --operating-system
GNU/Linux

Apparently I am. Don't worry. Everybody makes mistakes once in a
while.

> Based on your recent claims this is
> not possible... it sounds like you are using some distro of GNU/Linux

Indeed. But as the above is possible with about any GNU/Linux
distribution, I didn't bother mention which one I am using. But if you
really want to know:

acer:~ % cat /etc/debian_version
squeeze/sid

> which, as you say, is not GNU/Linux.

Indeed.

--
BOFH excuse #144:

Too few computrons available.

Snit

May 27, 2010, 3:05:29 PM5/27/10
TomB stated in post 201005272...@usenet.drumscum.be on 5/27/10 11:26
AM:

> On 2010-05-27, the following emerged from the brain of Snit:
>> TomB stated in post 20100527...@usenet.drumscum.be on 5/27/10 10:21
>> AM:
>>
>>> At this very moment I'm waiting in my car outside my oldest
>>> daughters music class. I brought my laptop and someone in this
>>> street was kind enough to leave his wireless network unprotected.
>>> The little freetard in my is very happy.
>>>
>>> I've open an ssh connection to my box at home and re-attached my
>>> screen session running slrn, mutt and ncmpc. I'm using ncmpc to
>>> play some tunes, which are streamed onto the internet at large
>>> using my icecast2 server, and I'm playing that stream right now
>>> with mplayer.
>>>
>>> Of course I'm also reading up on my email and posting this on
>>> usenet. All this is done from ttys to save my laptop's battery, as
>>> I don't have an car adaptor.
>>>
>>> All GNU/Linux, all kick-ass, all just works.
>>
>> You do all of that with GNU/Linux. No.
>
> Hmm, let's see...
>
> acer:~ % uname --operating-system
> GNU/Linux
>
> Apparently I am. Don't worry. Everybody makes mistakes once in a
> while.

And you think that shows you are, for example, reading email with your OS.
Nope.

>> Based on your recent claims this is
>> not possible... it sounds like you are using some distro of GNU/Linux
>
> Indeed. But as the above is possible with about any GNU/Linux
> distribution, I didn't bother mention which one I am using. But if you
> really want to know:
>
> acer:~ % cat /etc/debian_version
> squeeze/sid
>
>> which, as you say, is not GNU/Linux.
>
> Indeed.

So you claimed to be doing all that with GNU/Linux using what you say is not
GNU/Linux (as you have now admitted, you are using a distribution of
GNU/Linux which you say is not GNU/Linux).

But you will not see the contradiction there.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

ray

May 27, 2010, 3:32:44 PM5/27/10

Don't tell that to DooFuS, though - he'll call you a liar.

DFS

May 27, 2010, 4:25:16 PM5/27/10

Doesn't sound like lies to me, though TomB has become a cola idiot in
recent months.

You on the other hand, raytard, are a blatant liar.

TomB

May 27, 2010, 5:25:59 PM5/27/10
On 2010-05-27, the following emerged from the brain of DFS:

> On 5/27/2010 3:32 PM, ray wrote:
>> On Thu, 27 May 2010 17:21:15 +0000, TomB wrote:
>>
>>> At this very moment I'm waiting in my car outside my oldest daughters
>>> music class. I brought my laptop and someone in this street was kind
>>> enough to leave his wireless network unprotected. The little freetard in
>>> my is very happy.
>>>
>>> I've open an ssh connection to my box at home and re-attached my screen
>>> session running slrn, mutt and ncmpc. I'm using ncmpc to play some
>>> tunes, which are streamed onto the internet at large using my icecast2
>>> server, and I'm playing that stream right now with mplayer.
>>>
>>> Of course I'm also reading up on my email and posting this on usenet.
>>> All this is done from ttys to save my laptop's battery, as I don't have
>>> an car adaptor.
>>>
>>> All GNU/Linux, all kick-ass, all just works.
>>
>> Don't tell that to DooFuS, though - he'll call you a liar.
>
> Doesn't sound like lies to me, (...)

No lies indeed. I even forgot to mention an important detail: the HDD
in the laptop recently broke down, so I'm running Debian from a 2GB
USB stick on it at the moment.

--
BOFH excuse #117:

the printer thinks its a router.

Snit

May 27, 2010, 5:57:30 PM5/27/10
TomB stated in post 201005272...@usenet.drumscum.be on 5/27/10 2:25
PM:

Debian. A *distro* of an OS, which you claimed was not an OS - yet when
using the distro you gave credit to the OS.

Please, TomB, you are proving your BS in the other thread does not even make
sense to you.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

RonB

May 28, 2010, 12:11:34 AM5/28/10
TomB wrote:
> On 2010-05-27, the following emerged from the brain of Snit:

>> You do all of that with GNU/Linux. No.

> Hmm, let's see...
>
> acer:~ % uname --operating-system
> GNU/Linux
>
> Apparently I am. Don't worry. Everybody makes mistakes once in a
> while.

Why do you bother responding to Snit? He makes no point, he simply
gainsays whatever you say. Just another version of Hadron's "you're a
liar" mantra, which is about all he can muster nowadays.

--
RonB
"There's a story there...somewhere"

TomB

May 28, 2010, 2:18:01 AM5/28/10
On 2010-05-28, the following emerged from the brain of RonB:

Don't worry, I don't feel like yet another bitchfight with Snit yet
;-)

--
BOFH excuse #195:

We only support a 28000 bps connection.

Snit

May 28, 2010, 9:14:50 AM5/28/10
RonB stated in post htnfpm$68h$2...@news.eternal-september.org on 5/27/10 9:11
PM:

I am noting TomB's inconsistencies. He insists one thing in one thread, and
then contradicts himself in this one. And contradicted himself in other
ways in the other thread.

And you have no counter - so you make personal attacks.

It is a shame you do not have more faith in yourself.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

Snit

May 28, 2010, 9:16:26 AM5/28/10
TomB stated in post 201005280...@usenet.drumscum.be on 5/27/10 11:18
PM:

I am just noting your inconsistencies. You claimed to do all sorts of
things with GNU/Linux which you said could only be done with something that
is *not* GNU/Linux, namely a distro of GNU/Linux.

So were you using GNU/Linux or a distro?

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]