[News] Red Hat Developer's Update on PulseAudio, Fedora Live CDs Interview

Roy Schestowitz

Apr 9, 2008, 11:17:25 PM4/9/08
What's Cooking in PulseAudio's glitch-free Branch

,----[ Quote ]
| A while ago I started development of special branch of PulseAudio which is
| called glitch-free. In a few days I will merge it back to PulseAudio trunk,
| and eventually release it as 0.9.11.
`----

http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/pulse-glitch-free.html

Interview: Jeremy Katz on Fedora Live CDs

,----[ Quote ]
| This interview is the first of a series we’ll be co-publishing with Fedora
| Interviews. In this one, Jeremy Katz talks about improvements to Fedora Live
| CDs.
`----

http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2008/04/08/interview-jeremy-katz-on-fedora-live-cds/

"Fat operating systems spend most of their energy supporting their own fat."

--Nicholas Negroponte, MIT Media Lab, rediff.com, Apr 2006

Related:

Audio in Linux is awesome

,----[ Quote ]
| I can’t wait for PulseAudio. I’m sure that will make all of this even easier.
`----

http://darkness.codefu.org/wordpress/2007/12/15/292

Why Vista sounds worse

,----[ Quote ]
| Changes to how the latest version of Windows handles audio playback has
| caused unexpected quality issues for musicians and consumers alike, reports
| Tim Anderson
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/jan/31/microsoft.technology

Commercial Sound And Music Software For Linux, Part 1

,----[ Quote ]
| As a result of this inquiry I decided to revisit the Linux soundapps site and
| check up on the commercial sound and music software for Linux. This article
| reveals and ponders some of the results from that visit.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1005835

Commercial Sound And Music Software For Linux, Part 2

,----[ Quote ]
| I hope this article has been enlightening with regards to the presence of
| commercially available sound and music software for Linux. Speaking
| personally, I'd love it if these programs were all free and open-source, but
| such decisions are best left to the programmers themselves. As mentioned,
| many of these programmers already contribute to the FOSS community.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1005911

The Sound Of Linux 2007

,----[ Quote ]
| In this article I've selected what I consider to be some of the past year's
| outstanding achievements in the world of Linux music and sound software. It's
| not really a "Best Of 2007", it's just my personal choices for what I found
| most interesting and significant in the past year.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1005969

Moshe Goldfarb

Apr 10, 2008, 12:01:02 PM4/10/08
On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 04:17:25 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> What's Cooking in PulseAudio's glitch-free Branch

Another day.

Another Linux sound system.

Talk about total confusion.

How many different sound systems are we up to now?
Like ten?

You Linux guys can't even get ALSA working properly, and easily, yet you
keep churning out one sound system after another.

And Linux nuts wonder why average Jane considers desktop Linux a joke....

--
Moshe Goldfarb
Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

Canuck57

Apr 10, 2008, 12:10:08 PM4/10/08

"Moshe Goldfarb" <brick....@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 04:17:25 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> What's Cooking in PulseAudio's glitch-free Branch
>
> Another day.
>
> Another Linux sound system.
>
> Talk about total confusion.
>
> How many different sound systems are we up to now?
> Like ten?

Linux operates on the survival of the fittest. Unlike Windows products,
they compete and it isn't a monopoly.

> You Linux guys can't even get ALSA working properly, and easily, yet you
> keep churning out one sound system after another.

Further ahead than Vista.

-----------
Vista OS- Vastly Inferior Software Try Another OS

Hadron

Apr 10, 2008, 12:32:23 PM4/10/08
"Canuck57" <dave-n...@unixhome.net> writes:

> "Moshe Goldfarb" <brick....@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 04:17:25 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> What's Cooking in PulseAudio's glitch-free Branch
>>
>> Another day.
>>
>> Another Linux sound system.
>>
>> Talk about total confusion.
>>
>> How many different sound systems are we up to now?
>> Like ten?
>
> Linux operates on the survival of the fittest. Unlike Windows products,
> they compete and it isn't a monopoly.

You could not be more wrong. Because there is no commercial need for
most Linux stuff, even the crap stay there. I hate to tell you but most
SW used on Windows is not from MS. It is from competing commercial
companies.

I mean, really, could you be more clueless?

>> You Linux guys can't even get ALSA working properly, and easily, yet you
>> keep churning out one sound system after another.
>
> Further ahead than Vista.

Are you joking? Linux sound architecture is a joke at the moment.

Here's the Pulseaudio "how to make it work" wiki:

http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup

And thats the easy bit. There are many distro specific hacks and the
need to compile from CVS in many cases.

Ignoramus9437

Apr 10, 2008, 12:38:32 PM4/10/08

I did absolutely nothing with my sound setup, in either Hardy or
Gutsy, it all just worked. My use of sound is mostly watching movies
or listening to music.

Hadron

Apr 10, 2008, 12:41:01 PM4/10/08
Ignoramus9437 <ignora...@NOSPAM.9437.invalid> writes:

Yes, well, good for you.

Open up a second x screen on your TV. Play a totem movie
there. Now test your system sounds and try to play youtube in flash or
a bbc player item in iceweasel. Also try something like gnubiff to alert
you with audio of a new email and/or listen to amarok or a radio
stream. Does it all work together?

Ignoramus9437

Apr 10, 2008, 12:46:18 PM4/10/08

I will try tonight, will let you know.

Danny Kwong

Apr 10, 2008, 1:45:44 PM4/10/08
Moshe Goldfarb is flatfish (aka: Gary Stewart)

http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2008/01/moshe-goldfarb-troll.html
http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2007/01/flatfish-troll.html

Traits:

* Nym shifting (see below)
* Self confessed thief and proud of it
* Homophobic
* Racist
* Habitual liar

Moshe Goldfarb

Apr 10, 2008, 2:13:30 PM4/10/08

Audio under Linux is a complete clusterfsck.
It has been that way for years and it continues to be that way.

Moshe Goldfarb

Apr 10, 2008, 2:14:37 PM4/10/08

Try running Ardour and see what happens.

Ignoramus9437

Apr 10, 2008, 2:29:09 PM4/10/08

OK, I will try to find time to give it a try, I never used such
things.

Moshe Goldfarb

Apr 10, 2008, 2:30:42 PM4/10/08

Thank you.

Hadron

Apr 10, 2008, 2:36:45 PM4/10/08
Moshe Goldfarb <brick....@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 13:29:09 -0500, Ignoramus9437 wrote:

>>> Try running Ardour and see what happens.
>>>

>> OK, I will try to find time to give it a try, I never used such
>> things.

> Thank you.

First questions

err, is pulseaudio working with or against jack?!?!? Where is ESD? Err,
does this work with arts on KDE? Is alsa a friend or foe of pulseaudio?

Aaarrrghhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--
I really think XP is going to be a flop. Between the glut of hardware out
there (and slowing down of purchasing), and the fact that W2K is

Danny Kwong

Apr 10, 2008, 3:06:09 PM4/10/08

Danny Kwong

Apr 10, 2008, 3:06:40 PM4/10/08

Danny Kwong

Apr 10, 2008, 3:07:11 PM4/10/08

Moshe Goldfarb

Apr 10, 2008, 3:18:14 PM4/10/08
On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 20:36:45 +0200, Hadron wrote:

> Moshe Goldfarb <brick....@gmail.com> writes:

>>> OK, I will try to find time to give it a try, I never used such
>>> things.

>> Thank you.
>
> First questions
>
> err, is pulseaudio working with or against jack?!?!? Where is ESD? Err,
> does this work with arts on KDE? Is alsa a friend or foe of pulseaudio?
>
> Aaarrrghhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have no idea.
That is why Linux sound systems are so confused.

Danny Kwong

Apr 10, 2008, 3:23:28 PM4/10/08

Hadron

Apr 10, 2008, 3:44:37 PM4/10/08
Moshe Goldfarb <brick....@gmail.com> writes:

So lets have a look at the design docs!

,----
| http://jackit.sourceforge.net/docs/design/
|
| An error has been encountered in accessing this page.
|
| 1. Server: jackit.sourceforge.net
| 2. URL path: /docs/design/
| 3. Error notes: File does not exist: /home/groups/j/ja/jackit/htdocs/docs/design/
| 4. Error type: 404
| 5. Request method: GET
| 6. Request query string:
| 7. Time: 2008-04-10 12:42:00 PDT (1207856520)
|
| Reporting this problem: The problem you have encountered is with a project web site hosted by SourceForge.net. This issue should be reported to the SourceForge.net-hosted project (not to SourceForge.net).
|
| If this is a severe or recurring/persistent problem, please do one of the following, and provide the error text (numbered 1 through 7, above):
|
| 1. Contact the project via their designated support resources.
| 2. Contact the project administrators of this project via email (see the upper right-hand corner of the Project Summary page for their usernames) at user...@users.sourceforge.net
|
| If you are a member of the project that maintains this web content, please refer to the Site Documentation regarding the project web service for further assistance.
`----

Oops!

OK, lets try a bit easier. Lets look at the introduction!

http://jackaudio.org/documentation

Nothing there! Only the FAQ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What about configuring it for our "me too" distro?

"System configuration for success, joy and eternal happiness"

Oh no!!!!!!!!! Nothing!

See? Typical half arsed and incomplete.

What it needs is someone to start ANOTHER sound system!

--
"For example, user interfaces are _usually_ better in commercial software.
I'm not saying that this is always true, but in many cases the user

Rick

Apr 10, 2008, 5:41:33 PM4/10/08

If Linux distros are so crappy, why do you and your family use them?

--
Rick

DanS

Apr 10, 2008, 5:43:42 PM4/10/08

>>> And thats the easy bit. There are many distro specific hacks and the
>>> need to compile from CVS in many cases.
>>
>> I did absolutely nothing with my sound setup, in either Hardy or
>> Gutsy, it all just worked. My use of sound is mostly watching movies
>> or listening to music.

> Try running Ardour and see what happens.

Well, when I installed Ubuntu, the audio just, worked, and I just installed
Ardour a couple of days ago, and by golly, that just worked too.

caver1

Apr 10, 2008, 5:51:25 PM4/10/08

according to hardon thats not acceptable.
caver1

Moshe Goldfarb

Apr 10, 2008, 9:26:41 PM4/10/08

What sound system are you running with Ardour?

Hadron

Apr 10, 2008, 9:30:10 PM4/10/08
DanS <t.h.i.s....@a.d.e.l.p.h.i.a.n.e.t> writes:

That's nice.

It didn't work for the fellow who replied to that "how to use apt-get"
"article" that Marti posted a link to.

What sound system are you using? What HW?

Message has been deleted

DanS

Apr 10, 2008, 10:16:54 PM4/10/08
Hadron <hadro...@googlemail.com> wrote in

Honestly, I have no clue as to what SS (and can't check right now),
whatever was installed when the OS was installed and detected it. It
worked properly right off the bat, so no reason to dig into it at all.

I'm sure I'd be able to tell you if I had a major problem and had to
troubleshoot it, but all went smooth.

The HW is a CreativeLabs ES1371 chipset, so I'm sure quite common. Well,
maybe not, it is a PCI card and not on-board.

I didn't use Ardour much, just to check it out to see if it worked. I
didn't build a large project or anything, but it accepted tracks, allowed
editing, mixing, etc. I didn't try recording with it though.

Ardour seems like a decent OSS application, comparable to some of the
commercial (not top-end though) Windows audio s/w just like it I have
used.

Moshe Goldfarb

Apr 10, 2008, 10:22:58 PM4/10/08
On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 21:36:00 -0400, Jeff Glatt wrote:

>>Hadron

>>is pulseaudio working with or against jack?!?!?
>

> It works against JACK. JACK is essentially another variant upon the same idea
> as Pulse Audio -- a sound daemon running on top of ALSA.
>
> They all run on top of ALSA (well, except for really, really old stuff that
> runs on top of OSS. But that stuff really is archaic and obsolete).
>
> ALSA can do everything that JACK can do, but in a more complicated manner. JACK
> was meant to simplify use of ALSA for audio (not MIDI. ALSA is both an audio
> and MIDI API).
>
> What you really want is for everyone to drop support for all these daemons and
> instead use ALSA. Then you just use ALSA dmix plugin, and viola, you have what
> you're looking for. Every time you encounter some software that makes sound,
> but doesn't directly use ALSA, write the developers and ask them to directly
> support ALSA. (And give them a link to my web page article about Linux audio
> programming)

That is the correct answer, but I strongly suspect the OP didn't know that
and now you've let the cat out of the bag so to speak :)

Actually I think of Jack as more of a tool to connect various pieces of the
audio software and hardware together at very low latency's.
For example piping the output of one program into another one.

I too support the notion of ONE system that works with little or no user
input.
The current scheme of things is far too complicated IMHO.

Hadron

Apr 10, 2008, 11:36:54 PM4/10/08
DanS <t.h.i.s....@a.d.e.l.p.h.i.a.n.e.t> writes:

> Hadron <hadro...@googlemail.com> wrote in
>
>> DanS <t.h.i.s....@a.d.e.l.p.h.i.a.n.e.t> writes:
>>
>>> Moshe Goldfarb <brick....@gmail.com> wrote in

>>> Well, when I installed Ubuntu, the audio just, worked, and I just
>>> installed Ardour a couple of days ago, and by golly, that just worked
>>> too.
>>
>> That's nice.
>>
>> It didn't work for the fellow who replied to that "how to use apt-get"
>> "article" that Marti posted a link to.
>>
>> What sound system are you using? What HW?
>
> Honestly, I have no clue as to what SS (and can't check right now),
> whatever was installed when the OS was installed and detected it. It
> worked properly right off the bat, so no reason to dig into it at all.

Please report back.

> I'm sure I'd be able to tell you if I had a major problem and had to
> troubleshoot it, but all went smooth.

Sure it did.

> The HW is a CreativeLabs ES1371 chipset, so I'm sure quite common. Well,
> maybe not, it is a PCI card and not on-board.

Uh huh.

> I didn't use Ardour much, just to check it out to see if it worked. I
> didn't build a large project or anything, but it accepted tracks, allowed
> editing, mixing, etc. I didn't try recording with it though.

So, you really dont know much about it at all?

> Ardour seems like a decent OSS application, comparable to some of the
> commercial (not top-end though) Windows audio s/w just like it I have
> used.

And yet you didn't record anything with it?

Uh, ok.

Moshe Goldfarb

Apr 10, 2008, 11:52:13 PM4/10/08

I was trying to be nice, but obviously he didn't get anything working with
Ardour because you need Jack to get it going and he would have mentioned
that.
IOW I set him up, but the other guy spilled the beans.

It's just another Linux advocate's "works for me" post, and not a very good
one at all.

Hadron

Apr 10, 2008, 11:54:21 PM4/10/08
Moshe Goldfarb <brick....@gmail.com> writes:

I dont generally shy away from things, but the Linux sound mess has got
me running backwards and forwards. Everything is reinventing the wheel
and introducing stubs so that other systems can talk to theirs and so
forth. What an absolute horrible mess. And the COLAtards think KDE and
Gnome having different servers is a good "choice" thing? The ming
boggles.

--
However, my enthusiasm for the modular tree is tempered by some parts of
it not existing.

Moshe Goldfarb

Apr 11, 2008, 12:11:29 AM4/11/08

I subscribed to ALSA list once to attempt to get information as to how
ALSA/Jack/dmix/etc all work and interact together.

All I got was highly confused.

I have a Delta 1010 which has 10 inputs and 10 outputs.
Under Windows assigning signals to any in/out is one click.

Under ALSA and Linux?
I never did figure it out.
It's a freaking mess.

Ignoramus9437

Apr 11, 2008, 12:21:56 AM4/11/08
On 2008-04-11, Moshe Goldfarb <brick....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10 Apr 2008 21:43:42 GMT, DanS wrote:
>
>> Moshe Goldfarb <brick....@gmail.com> wrote in

>>> Try running Ardour and see what happens.
>>
>> Well, when I installed Ubuntu, the audio just, worked, and I just installed
>> Ardour a couple of days ago, and by golly, that just worked too.
>
> What sound system are you running with Ardour? >

I ran Ardour, it seems like something complicated, but it records and
plays sound. I am not really interested in proceeding with it. I
think that it is for mixing sound, like I can record a classical music
performance, and sound of my fart, and mix that together.

Ignoramus9437

Apr 11, 2008, 12:30:32 AM4/11/08
On 2008-04-11, Moshe Goldfarb <brick....@gmail.com> wrote:

There is one thing that PulseAudio supports, IIRC, which is remote
streaming of audio as part of X session or along one. Which is a very
nice concept that opens way to many interesting future gadgets. For
example, I can envision a plasma TV or a monitor/keyboard/mouse combo
or a monitor/remote combo that would have a built in X server and
Ethernet capability.

The old idea of an X terminal like those Tektronix ones, but with
sound. Now you can make a "multistation home entertainment system",
with a "entertainment server" and those satellite screens, that may be
packaged like a gadget, so the users would not even know it runs
Linux.

I can see rich people shelling out big bucks for it.

Hadron

Apr 11, 2008, 12:41:59 AM4/11/08
Ignoramus9437 <ignora...@NOSPAM.9437.invalid> writes:

This reminds me of Rick saying Amarok "worked for him" when I gave
details as to how it was useless at playlist management with big music
catalogs. It turned out after probing he only had about 10 songs on it
and it "met his needs". Your usage sounds similar with all due respect.

dawhead

Apr 11, 2008, 7:08:55 AM4/11/08
On Apr 11, 12:11 am, Moshe Goldfarb <brick.n.st...@gmail.com> wrote:>
> I subscribed to ALSA list once to attempt to get information as to how
> ALSA/Jack/dmix/etc all work and interact together.
>
> All I got was highly confused.
>
> I have a Delta 1010 which has 10 inputs and 10 outputs.
> Under Windows assigning signals to any in/out is one click.

1 click and 100msec of latency. Which is why pro-audio and music-
producing users unders Windows don't generally use the Windows sound
system but instead use ASIO drivers. This has changed somewhat in
Vista, where MS finally got a clue that their entire desktop-consumer-
centric audio system was useless for pro-audio, but it is still the
case today that most Windows pro-audio work (for which JACK and Ardour
are generic equivalents) do NOT use the standard Windows sound stuff.
With ASIO, its not quite so trivial to do what you are describing.

> Under ALSA and Linux?
> I never did figure it out.
> It's a freaking mess.

This much is true. What are you doing to help fix it, or are you just
complaining?

DanS

Apr 11, 2008, 7:37:53 AM4/11/08
>> Honestly, I have no clue as to what SS (and can't check right now),
>> whatever was installed when the OS was installed and detected it. It
>> worked properly right off the bat, so no reason to dig into it at
>> all.
>
> Please report back.

In the device manager I see several lines for ALSA....Capture Device, Control Device, MIDI Device, and 2
different Playback Devices, DAC2/ADC and DAC1 ALSA PLayback device.

And also DAC2/ADC OSS MIDI Device, OSS Control Device, and OSS PCM Device (times 3).

>> I'm sure I'd be able to tell you if I had a major problem and had to
>> troubleshoot it, but all went smooth.
>
> Sure it did.
>

>> The HW is a CreativeLabs ES1371 chipset, so I'm sure quite common.
>> Well, maybe not, it is a PCI card and not on-board.
>

> Uh huh.
>

>> I didn't use Ardour much, just to check it out to see if it worked. I
>> didn't build a large project or anything, but it accepted tracks,
>> allowed editing, mixing, etc. I didn't try recording with it though.
>
> So, you really dont know much about it at all?

About Ardour, specifically in detail, no. About the use of non-linear video and audio editing on a PC, yes.

DanS

Apr 11, 2008, 7:49:47 AM4/11/08
>>> Ardour seems like a decent OSS application, comparable to some of
>>> the commercial (not top-end though) Windows audio s/w just like it I
>>> have used.
>>
>> And yet you didn't record anything with it?
>>
>> Uh, ok.
>
> I was trying to be nice, but obviously he didn't get anything working
> with Ardour because you need Jack to get it going and he would have
> mentioned that.

Obviously nothing.

No, I didn't know Jack needed to be installed, but you know what, it is. I don't remember installing it
maybe it came down with Ardour from aptitude. I saw it in the Audio/Video menu after I installed Ardour
and was looking to start that. I started Jack, looked at it, saw what it was for, said to myself...'well the
audio works, so I'm not going to f with that'.

OK, next time I need to prove that something works on this system, I'll post the install log along with all of
it's dependencies and everything else even remotely related to it.

> IOW I set him up, but the other guy spilled the beans.

You set me up ?! That's funny.

> It's just another Linux advocate's "works for me" post, and not a very
> good one at all.

No, it's not a Linux advocate's post. Just a post. And just the truth.

Ignoramus6985

Apr 11, 2008, 8:08:47 AM4/11/08

Well, I have about 12G of music, but yes, my needs are simple. One
important thing is that I have multiple users at home, so it would be
good for sound to work when two users are using the sound
device. Typical example is a stopped youtube video for one user and
another user playing a song.

I believe, though I have not verified, that it should work with
PulseAudio now. I am moving from a Fedora home server to a Ubuntu
server now. It involves a lot of things, email, nfs, etc.

Doesn't xine have playlist support?

Hadron

Apr 11, 2008, 9:33:25 AM4/11/08
Ignoramus6985 <ignora...@NOSPAM.6985.invalid> writes:

I've never quite understood the xine player - ugly, non confirming,
buggy and plain "yuck".

The xine engine is used as the "sound engine" in Amarok though - the
only one I can select. Pulseaudio as the "output plugin". Don't ask me
how that all fits together. Its a mess and frequently freezes.

Best player *by far* IMO is mplayer. Here's a test for you regarding
buggy half arsed Linux multimedia and Amarok in particular.

Here is my one liner shell script to play bbc radio 4:

mplayer -playlist http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/realplayer/media/fmg2.ram

Works great!

Now add that to Amarok and try it. It plays only until the first cache
is exhausted. I dont know why and ran out of energy chasing it down and
gave up as using amarok as my main audio system.

Hadron

Apr 11, 2008, 9:38:28 AM4/11/08
DanS <t.h.i.s....@r.o.a.d.r.u.n.n.e.r.com> writes:

Seriously, what did you use it for? You already said you didn't record
anything.

What HW and audio sources did you use?

Hadron

Apr 11, 2008, 9:42:55 AM4/11/08
dawhead <goo...@equalarea.com> writes:

Complaining is one step. "Me too'ing" is not.

Personally I have fed bugs back and by rattling a few cages the "works
for me" changes to "oh, you need to patch this and this" and "compile
that and that". There are too many people telling lies about the usage
and quality of a lot of OSS. My dabbling with sound recently convinced
me of that. People in COLA who say "it just works for me" soon disappear
when I ask them to test a system sound, play a radio stream using
mplayer and run a totem movie at the same time and see if audio mixes
properly. Invariably "meets their needs" means one source at any one
time.

Ihave tried on 3 seperate time snow to ONLY use Alsa. No go. At the very
least I could not get system sounds working without pulseaudio installed
(drop in replacement for esound/esd). People keep mentioning "dmix" but
I'll be damned if I can see how that is supposed to work from the
20000000 How Tos out there which are all different and apparently
"randomly" generated.

--
BOY is Microsoft doomed! LOL!

DanS

Apr 11, 2008, 10:07:21 AM4/11/08
Hadron <hadro...@googlemail.com> wrote in

The hardware was described in an earlier post from this morning.

And yes, I didn't record anything _directly_ in Ardour, which means I had
existing audio files that I had 'imported' into Ardour to check out it's
mixing and editing capabilities.

Hadron

Apr 11, 2008, 10:34:54 AM4/11/08
DanS <t.h.i.s....@a.d.e.l.p.h.i.a.n.e.t> writes:

So you didn't use multi source at all? Look, admit it for you're making
things up or dont know what Ardour is for.

Ignoramus9437

Apr 11, 2008, 11:28:12 AM4/11/08

I only use mplayer.

> The xine engine is used as the "sound engine" in Amarok though - the
> only one I can select. Pulseaudio as the "output plugin". Don't ask me
> how that all fits together. Its a mess and frequently freezes.
>
> Best player *by far* IMO is mplayer. Here's a test for you regarding
> buggy half arsed Linux multimedia and Amarok in particular.
>
> Here is my one liner shell script to play bbc radio 4:
>
> mplayer -playlist http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/realplayer/media/fmg2.ram

Is there a BBC webpage with links to its radio channels?

> Works great!
>
> Now add that to Amarok and try it. It plays only until the first cache
> is exhausted. I dont know why and ran out of energy chasing it down and
> gave up as using amarok as my main audio system.

Never heard of amarok, but I will give it a try tonight if I can.

DanS

Apr 11, 2008, 11:43:20 AM4/11/08
Hadron <hadro...@googlemail.com> wrote in

What I am admitting to is that I installed Ardour, and with the default
install, it appeared to work properly with everything I tested, which I
described to you, including the HW and SS installed. That is what I said,
nothing more, nothing less.

I am making nothing up and I do know Ardour is for. I have given you no
other reason to suspect anything different other than the fact that it
seems to install and work easily.

Hadron

Apr 11, 2008, 12:09:32 PM4/11/08
DanS <t.h.i.s....@a.d.e.l.p.h.i.a.n.e.t> writes:

But by your own admission you havent actually used it for anything that
it was designed for - namely low latency mixing for separate audio
sources.

In other words your "me too" was pointless.

Sorry DanS, I'm sure you meant well, but really.

DanS

Apr 11, 2008, 1:17:20 PM4/11/08
Hadron <hadro...@googlemail.com> wrote in

For a minute there, I thought you were different from GoldFart.

But I was wrong.

> In other words your "me too" was pointless.

What is pointless is talking to you...or GoldFart...or Frank. In typical
(anyOS)-tard fashion, you will continue to pick apart anything I say and
come up with some _other_ reason as to why I'm wrong, and if I disprove
that, you will just come up with some new miniscule detail to dispute.

I could do all of this with you physically in the room and watching
everything happen and you _still_ wouldn't believe it.

I'm doing nothing but wasting my time, so, I'm done with you.

Moshe Goldfarb

Apr 11, 2008, 2:23:24 PM4/11/08

You are probably correct in that Jack is a dependency for Ardour.
IOW Ardour will not run without it.

However, unless Ubuntu/Debian does something odd, Jack needs to be started
separately and chances are the defaults will NOT work.
Also the program typically (along with Ardour) needs to be run as root to
give the sound server higher priority and reduce latency.

That is why I asked you to try it because if you really did, you would have
had a difficult time getting all this to work for the first time.

Moshe Goldfarb

Apr 11, 2008, 2:24:50 PM4/11/08

I doubt you even got it to start....
See my other post.

Dan, you're probably a nice guy, but we get a ton of "works for me" crap in
COLA and most times it's just people telling lies.

Moshe Goldfarb

Apr 11, 2008, 2:25:54 PM4/11/08

Mplayer is an awesome player.

Ignoramus9437

Apr 11, 2008, 2:35:35 PM4/11/08

It is the only player I use. The only feature I miss is "save a
bookmark and resume from bookmark".

Moshe Goldfarb

Apr 11, 2008, 2:44:29 PM4/11/08
On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 04:08:55 -0700 (PDT), dawhead wrote:

> On Apr 11, 12:11 am, Moshe Goldfarb <brick.n.st...@gmail.com> wrote:>
>> I subscribed to ALSA list once to attempt to get information as to how
>> ALSA/Jack/dmix/etc all work and interact together.
>>
>> All I got was highly confused.
>>
>> I have a Delta 1010 which has 10 inputs and 10 outputs.
>> Under Windows assigning signals to any in/out is one click.
>
> 1 click and 100msec of latency. Which is why pro-audio and music-
> producing users unders Windows don't generally use the Windows sound
> system but instead use ASIO drivers.

Exactly....

Like I said, 1 click and 2.3msec latency.

What drivers do you think I am using?

BTW I can also use WDM drivers and get the same latency.
Both are installed with the soundcard BTW.

Oh yes, I *am* a professional

> This has changed somewhat in
> Vista, where MS finally got a clue that their entire desktop-consumer-
> centric audio system was useless for pro-audio, but it is still the
> case today that most Windows pro-audio work (for which JACK and Ardour
> are generic equivalents) do NOT use the standard Windows sound stuff.
> With ASIO, its not quite so trivial to do what you are describing.

Vista is borked for professional sound and DAW work.
As for XP, it's trivial.
You slide a slider to the latency you want.

How much easier do you want it?

>> Under ALSA and Linux?
>> I never did figure it out.
>> It's a freaking mess.
>
> This much is true. What are you doing to help fix it, or are you just
> complaining?

I was on the ALSA mailing list for a couple of years.
They are freaks who are mostly programmers and not musicians, at least not
professional musicians.

They have no clue about user friendliness, how to write proper
documentation and so forth.

You ask a question like how can I use all 10 of my inputs and outputs and
you get responses like "did you compile ALSA with dmix capability" ? and
stuff like that.

It's a freaking mess.

At the time, thank God for the Morton kernel or nothing would have worked.

Come to think of it, nothing much has changed.

DanS

Apr 11, 2008, 2:53:55 PM4/11/08

>> I could do all of this with you physically in the room and watching
>> everything happen and you _still_ wouldn't believe it.
>>
>> I'm doing nothing but wasting my time, so, I'm done with you.
>
> I doubt you even got it to start....
> See my other post.
>
> Dan, you're probably a nice guy, but we get a ton of "works for me"
> crap in COLA and most times it's just people telling lies.

Well sorry to dissapoint you, but I'm not in COLA. I'm reading these
posts in the Ubuntu group. The only reason they are going to COLA is
because whomever started the thread had it crossposted there...and to
Vista groups, which I removed because this has nothing to do with Vista.

I'm NOT a Linux pusher, I still use Windows most of the time since I'd
just installed Linux a few weeks ago, maybe a month+ ago, and still
checking out apps and learning Linux. There are things I like and things
I don't like.

Believe what you want to believe. It's painfully obvious that you are
completely anti-Linux, just like some are completely anti-MS, and have
such strong preconceived beliefs that it doesn't really matter what
anyone says about any particular Linux item, everyone's a liar, and
nothing works out-of-the-box.

What do you need.....unedited 8mm analog film proof ?! Analog so you
won't claim it was edited.

(Rhetorical, since I won't be replying to you anymore.)

Rick

Apr 11, 2008, 5:03:12 PM4/11/08

http://ardour.org/
"Ardour is a digital audio workstation. You can use it to record, edit
and mix multi-track audio. You can produce your own CDs, mix video
soundtracks, or just experiment with new ideas about music and
sound.Ardour capabilities include: multichannel recording, non-
destructive editing with unlimited undo/redo, full automation support, a
powerful mixer, unlimited tracks/busses/plugins, timecode
synchronization, and hardware control from surfaces like the Mackie
Control Universal."

It sounds to me like he used Ardour for things it was designed for.

> In other words your "me too" was pointless.
>
> Sorry DanS, I'm sure you meant well, but really.

--
Rick

Rick

Apr 11, 2008, 5:05:02 PM4/11/08

Just because you mucked things up doesn't mean he did.

--
Rick

caver1

Apr 11, 2008, 5:08:57 PM4/11/08

You really need to ignore the likes of Hardon. He hates to hear that
anything Linux just works. If you say it does you are a liar in his eyes.
caver1

Timmy Luncford

Timmy Luncford

Apr 12, 2008, 12:04:41 AM4/12/08