Things I Wouldn't Have Expected in COLA

John Bailo

Sep 20, 2010, 8:38:00 PM9/20/10
I've been off COLA for months...years now...cause it seemed like Linux
was well on its way.

Having come back to catch up, however, I'm amazed.

Seems like Roy Schestowitz is gone, and DFS is still here!

Not as I might have imagined...

Chris Ahlstrom

Sep 20, 2010, 8:51:56 PM9/20/10
John Bailo posted this message in ROT13 encoding:

Why not? DFS is far more insane than Roy.

--
RHAPSODY in Glue!

DFS

Sep 20, 2010, 8:50:23 PM9/20/10

You left cola because you had Windows development jobs to do.

Spamowitz is now working with Windows all day, too - if he has a job at all.

Rex Ballard

Sep 20, 2010, 8:52:25 PM9/20/10

Can you prove that? :-D

Message has been deleted

DFS

Sep 20, 2010, 9:02:24 PM9/20/10

You're lying weenie scum for saying that.

Only a giant nutjob like Spamowitz would believe and say [paraphrased]:
"I sense Hans Reiser was hounded by Microsoft until he went insane and
murdered his wife."

http://techrights.org/2008/08/09/irc-log-08082008/#tAug%2008%2019:59:14

Plus look at the loser's degenerate pastime: boycottnovell.com on which
he claimed "Bill Gates Uses Malaria to Attack GNU/Linux"

You have no evidence whatsoever on your side, idiot.

Chris Ahlstrom

Sep 20, 2010, 9:05:33 PM9/20/10
Rex Ballard posted this message in ROT13 encoding:

DFS is contemptible. Condemned by his own words.

--
What good is an obscenity trial except to popularize literature?
-- Nero Wolfe, "The League of Frightened Men"

DFS

Sep 20, 2010, 9:07:03 PM9/20/10

Sure I can. Just make Spamowitz tell the truth about his job and employer.

I just submitted some questions to him at http://techrights.org/irc-channel/

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Tattoo Vampire

Sep 20, 2010, 11:23:13 PM9/20/10
John Bailo wrote:

> Seems like Roy Schestowitz is gone, and DFS is still here!

Which is a shame - overall Roy contributed much to this group. DFS is a
louse who can't do anything except screw up his Linux install and then bitch
about it. He's a total waste of human DNA.

--
Regards,
[tv]

...He's so conservative his plane doesn't have a left wing.

RonB

Sep 20, 2010, 11:26:22 PM9/20/10
On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 23:23:13 -0400, Tattoo Vampire wrote:

> John Bailo wrote:
>
>> Seems like Roy Schestowitz is gone, and DFS is still here!
>
> Which is a shame - overall Roy contributed much to this group. DFS is a
> louse who can't do anything except screw up his Linux install and then
> bitch about it. He's a total waste of human DNA.

I suspect Roy will be back, after he gets a good break. But maybe not. I'm
sure he's advocating Linux somewhere.

--
RonB
Registered Linux User #498581

Snit

Sep 20, 2010, 11:45:30 PM9/20/10
RonB stated in post i798ku$bt0$5...@news.eternal-september.org on 9/20/10 8:26
PM:

> On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 23:23:13 -0400, Tattoo Vampire wrote:
>
>> John Bailo wrote:
>>
>>> Seems like Roy Schestowitz is gone, and DFS is still here!
>>
>> Which is a shame - overall Roy contributed much to this group. DFS is a
>> louse who can't do anything except screw up his Linux install and then
>> bitch about it. He's a total waste of human DNA.
>
> I suspect Roy will be back, after he gets a good break. But maybe not. I'm
> sure he's advocating Linux somewhere.

He rarely did here... what makes you think he would do so elsewhere?

--
"Incest IS sex by the very definition of the words. Therefore they ARE
identical when presented in that order." -- Tim Adams

DFS

Sep 21, 2010, 1:02:42 AM9/21/10
On 9/20/2010 11:26 PM, RonB wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 23:23:13 -0400, Tattoo Vampire wrote:
>
>> John Bailo wrote:
>>
>>> Seems like Roy Schestowitz is gone, and DFS is still here!
>>
>> Which is a shame - overall Roy contributed much to this group. DFS is a
>> louse who can't do anything except screw up his Linux install and then
>> bitch about it. He's a total waste of human DNA.
>
> I suspect Roy will be back, after he gets a good break. But maybe not. I'm
> sure he's advocating Linux somewhere.

I bet you can find Spamowitz whining and lying about Microsoft 24/7 on IRC:

http://techrights.org/irc-channel/

Terry Porter

Sep 21, 2010, 1:11:06 PM9/21/10
Tattoo Vampire wrote:

> John Bailo wrote:
>
>> Seems like Roy Schestowitz is gone, and DFS is still here!
>
> Which is a shame - overall Roy contributed much to this group.

Agreed, but it would have been a lot of work, and now Dr Schestowitz
probably doesn't have the time.

He did a fantastic job while here, and I appreciated it.

> DFS is a
> louse who can't do anything except screw up his Linux install and then
> bitch about it. He's a total waste of human DNA.

Human ???

--
This quadcore running Gnu/Linux Gentoo:
http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/about.xml

High Plains Thumper

Sep 21, 2010, 5:06:37 AM9/21/10
Tattoo Vampire wrote:
> John Bailo wrote:
>
>> Seems like Roy Schestowitz is gone, and DFS is still here!
>
> Which is a shame - overall Roy contributed much to this group. DFS is
> a louse who can't do anything except screw up his Linux install and
> then bitch about it. He's a total waste of human DNA.

Roy shares the same aspirations as the rest of us in the working world
with family concerns. He has a life whereas these Wintrolls apparent
don't, or these Wintrolls are supported in a manner so they can
continually FUD this group.

"Microsoft is an incredibly successful empire built on the premise of
market dominance with low-quality goods." (Cyber War: The Next Threat
to National Security and What to Do About It, ISBN: 9780061962233;
ISBN10: 0061962236)

http://arstechnica.com/security/news/2010/06/cyber-war-microsoft-a-weak-link-in-national-security.ars

or http://tinyurl.com/283clh5

The "market" here is dominated by low quality trolls. :-)

--
HPT

RayLopez99

Sep 21, 2010, 6:02:31 AM9/21/10
On Sep 21, 6:26 am, RonB <ronb02NOS...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 23:23:13 -0400, Tattoo Vampire wrote:
> > John Bailo wrote:
>
> >> Seems like  Roy Schestowitz is gone, and DFS is still here!
>
> > Which is a shame - overall Roy contributed much to this group. DFS is a
> > louse who can't do anything except screw up his Linux install and then
> > bitch about it. He's a total waste of human DNA.
>
> I suspect Roy will be back, after he gets a good break. But maybe not. I'm
> sure he's advocating Linux somewhere.

You're sure of that? Are you as sure about that as your faith that
someday Linux will have more than 1% market share on the desktop,
after, what, 20 years of trying?

Keep the faith bro. You'll need it.

Linux is... faith-based-PC-ware.

RL

Chris Ahlstrom

Sep 21, 2010, 7:03:41 AM9/21/10
Tattoo Vampire posted this message in ROT13 encoding:

> John Bailo wrote:
>
>> Seems like Roy Schestowitz is gone, and DFS is still here!
>
> Which is a shame - overall Roy contributed much to this group. DFS is a
> louse who can't do anything except screw up his Linux install and then bitch
> about it. He's a total waste of human DNA.

He acts like he's a few centimorgans short of human DNA. He's even nuttier
than "Hadron". Why isn't he in a Windows ng helping people?

--
"Ada is the work of an architect, not a computer scientist."
-- Jean Icbiah, inventor of Ada, weenie

Tattoo Vampire

Sep 21, 2010, 7:52:16 AM9/21/10
Snit wrote:

> He rarely did here

That's not true.

--
Regards,
[tv]
Owner/proprietor, Trollus Amongus, LLC

...Reading taglines makes you stupid.

Gordon

Sep 21, 2010, 7:52:40 AM9/21/10
On 21/09/2010 12:03, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> Why isn't he in a Windows ng helping people?

Precisely. I've been saying this for some time. As someone who DOES try
to help the poor helpless Windows users on the MS Answers forum, there's
NO SIGN AT ALL of any of these so-called Windows "advocates" making any
attempt at all to help any of their fellow lemmings...
I can only conclude that they are as technically incompetent in Windows
as they are ignorant about Linux and they only exist because they are
paid to do so...

--
Registered Linux User no 240308
Ubuntu 10.04 (yay!) Windows 7 (unfortunately)

Tattoo Vampire

Sep 21, 2010, 7:52:55 AM9/21/10
High Plains Thumper wrote:

> The "market" here is dominated by low quality trolls. :-)

Can we send them back for better ones? :-D

--
Regards,
[tv]
Owner/proprietor, Trollus Amongus, LLC

...Tip: Never take a beer to a job interview.

Tattoo Vampire

Sep 21, 2010, 7:53:32 AM9/21/10
Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> He acts like he's a few centimorgans short of human DNA. He's even nuttier
> than "Hadron". Why isn't he in a Windows ng helping people?

Because he's an idiot who doesn't know anything about Windows, either? :-D

--
Regards,
[tv]
Owner/proprietor, Trollus Amongus, LLC

...Tip: Never take a beer to a job interview.

Tattoo Vampire

Sep 21, 2010, 7:54:02 AM9/21/10
Terry Porter wrote:

> He did a fantastic job while here, and I appreciated it.

He's pretty active on Twitter right now.

--
Regards,
[tv]
Owner/proprietor, Trollus Amongus, LLC

...Tip: Never take a beer to a job interview.

philo

Sep 21, 2010, 7:56:04 AM9/21/10

I've been on this group for about ten years .
I may be active for a while or I may skip it entirely for years at a time.

Personally I'm glad he's not posting as what he did was simply spam the
group.

Had he wanted to make his announcements he should have put the links
all within the context of *one* message.

Though I don't think I can say DFS has contributed anything positive
here...at least he does not spam the group.

I ended up simply putting RS in my kill-file and was pleased to see
that for the most part he disappeared as there were very few responses.

Hadron

Sep 21, 2010, 7:59:09 AM9/21/10
Gordon <gordon...@yahoo.com> writes:

> On 21/09/2010 12:03, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>
>> Why isn't he in a Windows ng helping people?
>>

> Precisely. I've been saying this for some time. As someone who DOES try
> to help the poor helpless Windows users on the MS Answers forum, there's
> NO SIGN AT ALL of any of these so-called Windows "advocates" making any
> attempt at all to help any of their fellow lemmings...

What Windows advocates? There are no "Windows Advocates" here. Possibly
DFS but his role is more to point out the lies of "advocates".

Making things up and telling lies makes the baby Jesus cry Gortard!
Didn't you learn that at vicar school?

> I can only conclude that they are as technically incompetent in Windows
> as they are ignorant about Linux and they only exist because they are
> paid to do so...

I'm sure that's all you can conclude since its what you've been fed. I
am yet to see a single "advocate" help out in the Ubuntu forums with the
possible exception of Creepy - but he tends to spend more time sucking
up there than actually contributing.

chrisv

Sep 21, 2010, 8:48:15 AM9/21/10
Terry Porter wrote:

>> DFS is a
>> louse who can't do anything except screw up his Linux install and then
>> bitch about it. He's a total waste of human DNA.
>
>Human ???

Well, that part of a human that pinches-off "Hadrons"...

Homer

Sep 21, 2010, 9:04:38 AM9/21/10
Verily I say unto thee, that Tattoo Vampire spake thusly:

> Terry Porter wrote:
>
>> He did a fantastic job while here, and I appreciated it.
>
> He's pretty active on Twitter right now.

That makes sense, he'll get far more exposure.

Like it or not, the very sad fact is that Usenet is a dying art.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| You can't make an omelet without building some bridges
| ... but don't count your bridges until they've hatched
`----

Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) on sky, running kernel 2.6.31.5
14:04:07 up 16 days, 21:22, 0 users, load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.00

Snit

Sep 21, 2010, 10:38:41 AM9/21/10
Tattoo Vampire stated in post wd9n2j4qllvd$.dlg@sitting.at.this.computer on
9/21/10 4:52 AM:

> Snit wrote:
>
>> He rarely did here
>
> That's not true.

Can you point to a few good examples?

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Hadron

Sep 21, 2010, 11:16:37 AM9/21/10
Moshe Goldfarb <moshe_...@yahoo.com> writes:

> On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 03:06:37 -0600, High Plains Thumper
> <h...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Tattoo Vampire wrote:

>>> Which is a shame - overall Roy contributed much to this group. DFS is
>>> a louse who can't do anything except screw up his Linux install and
>>> then bitch about it. He's a total waste of human DNA.
>>
>>Roy shares the same aspirations as the rest of us in the working world
>>with family concerns. He has a life whereas these Wintrolls apparent
>>don't, or these Wintrolls are supported in a manner so they can
>>continually FUD this group.
>

> Sure he does.
> Which explains why he is posting away on Christmas, New Years and
> other holidays.
>
> The guy has no life.
>
> All one has to look at is the vast number of places he posts to, the
> various web pages he comments on, the articles he writes for various
> publications and so forth.
>
> And if that's not enough, he is on irc literally 24x7 as well.
>
> That's what you call having a life?
>
> Most people would call it a sickness.
>
> He moved off COLA because it doesn't pay anything and his pay masters
> advised him to become more productive in his SPAMMING.
>
> The ROI in COLA is about zero because nobody takes it seriously.

Have you seen the new circle jerk going on with Tomb "doing a Liarmutt"
and drooling at the PCs without OS that Marti has "discovered"?

I wonder how many TomB will buy?

Hint : none.

Message has been deleted

bbgruff

Sep 21, 2010, 6:00:21 PM9/21/10
Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

> Which explains why he is posting away on Christmas, New Years and
> other holidays.
>
> The guy has no life.
>
> All one has to look at is the vast number of places he posts to, the
> various web pages he comments on, the articles he writes for various
> publications and so forth.
>
> And if that's not enough, he is on irc literally 24x7 as well.
>
> That's what you call having a life?
>
> Most people would call it a sickness.
>
> He moved off COLA because it doesn't pay anything and his pay masters
> advised him to become more productive in his SPAMMING.
>
> The ROI in COLA is about zero because nobody takes it seriously.

1: Moshe Goldfarb <moshe_...@yahoo.com>........... : 196
2: DFS <nospam@dfs_.com>.............................. : 186
3: Hadron<hadro...@gmail.com>...................... : 135

Tattoo Vampire

Sep 21, 2010, 9:32:28 PM9/21/10
Homer wrote:

> Like it or not, the very sad fact is that Usenet is a dying art.

I only linger because I like trolls.

--
Regards,
[tv]
Owner/proprietor, Trollus Amongus, LLC

...Some people are alive only because it is illegal to kill them.

Tattoo Vampire

Sep 21, 2010, 9:34:03 PM9/21/10
Snit wrote:

> Can you point to a few good examples?

I can, but he posted a lot of good stuff, although sometimes it was lost
among some of the outright crap he sent.

--
Regards,
[tv]
Owner/proprietor, Trollus Amongus, LLC

...Some people are alive only because it is illegal to kill them.

High Plains Thumper

Sep 21, 2010, 10:51:50 PM9/21/10
bbgruff wrote:

> Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
>
>> He moved off COLA because it doesn't pay anything and his pay
>> masters advised him to become more productive in his SPAMMING.
>>
>> The ROI in COLA is about zero because nobody takes it seriously.
>
> 1: Moshe Goldfarb <moshe_...@yahoo.com>........... : 196
> 2: DFS <nospam@dfs_.com>.............................. : 186
> 3: Hadron<hadro...@gmail.com>...................... : 135

The 3 greatest anti-Linux spammers in a Linux advocacy group. Chris
Ahlstrom has a point. If they had a sense of value, they would be
assisting others struggling with Windows in the Windows groups.
Apparently they have no expertise, so they spend their time spamming
COLA. Many have them kill filed to remove the clutter.

--
HPT

Snit

Sep 21, 2010, 11:02:01 PM9/21/10
Tattoo Vampire stated in post 1jur9h8ow0c92$.dlg@sitting.at.this.computer on
9/21/10 6:34 PM:

> Snit wrote:
>
>> Can you point to a few good examples?
>
> I can, but he posted a lot of good stuff, although sometimes it was lost
> among some of the outright crap he sent.

Fair enough... but I would love to see some of the good examples.

--
"A non-powered hub that will only support non-powered devices. IOW,
basically useless." -- Tim Adams

Tattoo Vampire

Sep 21, 2010, 11:35:25 PM9/21/10
Snit wrote:

> Fair enough... but I would love to see some of the good examples.

Let's not start sNit Picking. I stated my opinion that I believed some of
what he posted had value. What I find valuable, you may not.

--
Regards,
[tv]
Owner/proprietor, Trollus Amongus, LLC

..."Criminal Lawyer" is a redundancy.

Tattoo Vampire

Sep 21, 2010, 11:37:12 PM9/21/10
High Plains Thumper wrote:

> The 3 greatest anti-Linux spammers in a Linux advocacy group. Chris
> Ahlstrom has a point. If they had a sense of value, they would be
> assisting others struggling with Windows in the Windows groups.
> Apparently they have no expertise, so they spend their time spamming
> COLA. Many have them kill filed to remove the clutter.

Yeah, I've thrown them all in the Bozo bin again with the exception of Snit,
who occasionally posts something lucid and of value. The noise level was
getting so high, it was drowning out the good posts.

Snit

Sep 22, 2010, 12:02:33 AM9/22/10
Tattoo Vampire stated in post e8jxv7yq...@sitting.at.this.computer on
9/21/10 8:35 PM:

> Snit wrote:
>
>> Fair enough... but I would love to see some of the good examples.
>
> Let's not start sNit Picking. I stated my opinion that I believed some of
> what he posted had value. What I find valuable, you may not.

Fair enough... but I really would like to see some of the posts people found
of value. I am not denying he had some.

Terry Porter

Sep 22, 2010, 10:11:04 AM9/22/10
Tattoo Vampire wrote:

> Homer wrote:
>
>> Like it or not, the very sad fact is that Usenet is a dying art.
>
> I only linger because I like trolls.

Trollingerer!

--
This quadcore running Gnu/Linux Gentoo:
http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/about.xml

Message has been deleted

High Plains Thumper

Sep 22, 2010, 12:34:05 AM9/22/10
Tattoo Vampire wrote:

> Yeah, I've thrown them all in the Bozo bin again with the exception
> of Snit, who occasionally posts something lucid and of value. The
> noise level was getting so high, it was drowning out the good posts.

Agreed except for Snit and socks (Joe Crump and ad nauseum).

I've got Snit kill binned, because he is the classic ad hominem troll.
At first he seems reasonable, but then it always degrades into name
calling bullying, the responder is a liar, etc. AKA the Snit Circus of
Pathological Lies. Perhaps the times he seems reasonable are when he is
properly controlled by medication. :-P

--
HPT

Terry Porter

Sep 22, 2010, 10:16:54 AM9/22/10
High Plains Thumper wrote:

>> 1: Moshe Goldfarb <moshe_...@yahoo.com>........... : 196
>> 2: DFS <nospam@dfs_.com>.............................. : 186
>> 3: Hadron<hadro...@gmail.com>...................... : 135
>
> The 3 greatest anti-Linux spammers in a Linux advocacy group. Chris
> Ahlstrom has a point. If they had a sense of value, they would be
> assisting others struggling with Windows in the Windows groups.
> Apparently they have no expertise, so they spend their time spamming
> COLA. Many have them kill filed to remove the clutter.

Homers Filters-->Leafnode-->Knode

Priceless and Peaceful ....

Snit

Sep 22, 2010, 1:37:02 AM9/22/10
High Plains Thumper stated in post 4c99873f$0$6275$6e1e...@read.cnntp.org
on 9/21/10 9:34 PM:

Look at all your name calling, above.

Yeah, I just pointed out your hypocrisy... and you claim to have me KFed
because you know you have no honest response to that. You simply are
trolling.

Tattoo Vampire

Sep 22, 2010, 7:34:04 AM9/22/10
Snit wrote:

> Fair enough... but I really would like to see some of the posts people found
> of value. I am not denying he had some.

Well, he posted hundreds if not thousands of items that consisted of good
Linux news from reliable sources. Interspersed with a lot of crap, of
course.

--
Regards,
[tv]
Owner/proprietor, Trollus Amongus, LLC

...I am Drunk of Borg. Resistance is floor tile!

RonB

Sep 22, 2010, 8:43:09 AM9/22/10
On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 07:34:04 -0400, Tattoo Vampire wrote:

> Snit wrote:
>
>> Fair enough... but I really would like to see some of the posts people
>> found of value. I am not denying he had some.
>
> Well, he posted hundreds if not thousands of items that consisted of
> good Linux news from reliable sources. Interspersed with a lot of crap,
> of course.

I always scanned the subject lines on Roy's posts. I didn't read most of
them -- but many times I found news there that I had missed.

--
RonB
Registered Linux User #498581
CentOS 5.5 or Fedora 13 or VectorLinux Deluxe 6.0

chrisv

Sep 22, 2010, 8:51:17 AM9/22/10
High Plains Thumper wrote:

>because he is the classic ad hominem troll.
>At first he seems reasonable, but then it always degrades

A common troll, who dishonestly and unfairly attacks others. An
asshole, in others words.

Snit

Sep 22, 2010, 10:07:55 AM9/22/10
Tattoo Vampire stated in post 9nvvvxev...@sitting.at.this.computer on
9/22/10 4:34 AM:

> Snit wrote:
>
>> Fair enough... but I really would like to see some of the posts people found
>> of value. I am not denying he had some.
>
> Well, he posted hundreds if not thousands of items that consisted of good
> Linux news from reliable sources. Interspersed with a lot of crap, of
> course.

Yes, he did post thousands and thousands of items - many of them repeated
several time (sometimes dozens, just in the ones I looked into). And, yes,
some of those were of value... fair enough.

--
Survey: <http://nitobi.com/survey/>
241 of 571 said they use Dreamweaver (42%)

Snit

Sep 22, 2010, 10:09:41 AM9/22/10
RonB stated in post i7ctkt$tt4$1...@news.eternal-september.org on 9/22/10 5:43
AM:

> On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 07:34:04 -0400, Tattoo Vampire wrote:
>
>> Snit wrote:
>>
>>> Fair enough... but I really would like to see some of the posts people
>>> found of value. I am not denying he had some.
>>
>> Well, he posted hundreds if not thousands of items that consisted of
>> good Linux news from reliable sources. Interspersed with a lot of crap,
>> of course.
>
> I always scanned the subject lines on Roy's posts. I didn't read most of
> them -- but many times I found news there that I had missed.

Fair enough... in his thousands and thousands of "news" items, often with
repeated stories, there were some examples of valuable information. I can
accept that.

Message has been deleted

One Shot, One Kill

Sep 22, 2010, 3:33:28 PM9/22/10

"chrisv" <chr...@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

fsck off and die you stupid lying piece of crap.

Homer

Sep 22, 2010, 6:23:40 PM9/22/10
Verily I say unto thee, that High Plains Thumper spake thusly:

> Tattoo Vampire wrote:
>> Homer wrote:
>>
>>> Like it or not, the very sad fact is that Usenet is a dying art.
>
> There was a time when many of the posters, trolls included had
> manners. That is no longer the case. No one likes to wade knee deep
> in slime to get to the meadow on the other side. The personal
> attacks on character and personal information privacy violations are
> unwarranted. This has driven many from Usenet to other forums where
> there is more control over abuses.

Forum and blog comment moderation is certainly possible, just as it is
on Usenet, but a lot of astroturfing from undesirable groups (e.g. right
wing extremists, Microsoft shills, etc.) still manages to slip through
anyway, particularly on blogs, so I'm not convinced they're a solution
to this particular problem.

Changes to the law, both in the EU and the US, means that astroturfing
is now illegal, and it may (in some cases) be easier to track such
criminals on forums and blogs than on Usenet, to bring them to justice,
but there are still a number of things that can stymie this effort
(proxies, anonymous email providers, etc.), so again I'm not sure that's
a solution. The best we can hope for is that the links between
astroturfers and the companies or groups they represent are exposed
thoroughly and often enough to warrant judicial intervention and
prosecution, such that the primary source of their propaganda is shut
down permanently.

Usenet's dwindling popularity is unrelated to that. AFAICT the main
reason for it's demise is the sort of "AOL" effect of "mainstream" users
preferring Web based interfaces for ... well, everything, from E-mail to
social networking. Quite why that is, I'm not sure. I think there's a
general consensus amongst the mainstream that the more graphically
oriented something is, then the "easier" and more pleasant it is to use.
IME the opposite is true. Web interfaces are bloated, clumsy, slow and
unreliable compared to their text-only counterparts, and also tend to
promote off-site ("Cloud") storage of one's data, rather than storage on
the host or local server, thus placing one's data at the mercy of
potentially insidious or incompetent custodians. But people continue to
pursue this fallacy anyway.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| You can't make an omelet without building some bridges
| ... but don't count your bridges until they've hatched
`----

Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) on sky, running kernel 2.6.31.5
23:23:11 up 18 days, 6:41, 0 users, load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.00

High Plains Thumper

Sep 22, 2010, 7:42:53 PM9/22/10

Yup. To magnify his need for attention, engages sock puppets. As far
as I am concerned, he remains bozo-binned along with socks Joel Crump
and Ceed.

--
HPT

High Plains Thumper

Sep 22, 2010, 7:45:15 PM9/22/10
Terry Porter wrote:
> High Plains Thumper wrote:
>
>> Many have them kill filed to remove the clutter.
>
> Homers Filters-->Leafnode-->Knode
> Priceless and Peaceful ....

The beauty of bozo binning. :-P

--
HPT

Snit

Sep 22, 2010, 7:57:39 PM9/22/10
chrisv stated in post cquj96pcsmm9ccvsb...@4ax.com on 9/22/10
5:51 AM:

What an unfair attack! And dishonest!

LOL! You two have no idea how absurd you make yourself be.

--
"YOU were the person claiming that the ~ told people to go to
HardDrive/users/username/ while I stated the ~ indicated the name of the

Snit

Sep 22, 2010, 7:58:23 PM9/22/10
High Plains Thumper stated in post 4c9a9482$0$6276$6e1e...@read.cnntp.org
on 9/22/10 4:42 PM:

Just what makes you think they are anyone's socks... no less mine?

Oh. That is right: your paranoia and insanity. And your never ending need
to beg for attention.

Snit

Sep 22, 2010, 8:02:53 PM9/22/10
High Plains Thumper stated in post 4c998516$0$6275$6e1e...@read.cnntp.org
on 9/21/10 9:24 PM:

> Tattoo Vampire wrote:
>> Homer wrote:
>>
>>> Like it or not, the very sad fact is that Usenet is a dying art.
>

> There was a time when many of the posters, trolls included had manners.
> That is no longer the case. No one likes to wade knee deep in slime to
> get to the meadow on the other side. The personal attacks on character
> and personal information privacy violations are unwarranted.

Yet you seem unable to control yourself. At least now you realize you have
a problem - the question is what are you going to do about it?

> This has driven many from Usenet to other forums where there is more control
> over abuses.

Is that your goal?

>> I only linger because I like trolls.
>

> I like COLA because of what some of the advocates post.
>
> I have learned that responding to trolls really accomplishes little and
> perpetuates them by giving them the attention they seek. That goes for
> all the current trolls here, no exceptions.
>
> Without an audience, they'd shrivel and blow away, take their trolling
> elsewhere, socks included.

So now you blame others for your actions. If only people would not give you
the attention you beg for. Boo hoo.

High Plains Thumper

Sep 22, 2010, 8:04:42 PM9/22/10
Homer wrote:

> I think there's a general consensus amongst the mainstream that the
> more graphically oriented something is, then the "easier" and more
> pleasant it is to use. IME the opposite is true. Web interfaces are
> bloated, clumsy, slow and unreliable compared to their text-only
> counterparts, and also tend to promote off-site ("Cloud") storage of
> one's data, rather than storage on the host or local server, thus
> placing one's data at the mercy of potentially insidious or
> incompetent custodians. But people continue to pursue this fallacy
> anyway.

This fallacy is partly responsible to the convicted monopoly
maintainer's FUD against Unix and Unix-like derivatives (Linux), that it
is not user friendly if it is strictly text based. There is nothing
faster than a text based interface for inputting textual data based
information.

I know of medical data entry operators using appointment management
software and medical records management software, who have expressed
regret of the so-called newer point and click mouse driven interfaces.

It may be friendlier to the neophyte and occasional inputter like a
doctor, nurse or manager. However, to the daily worker, it takes more
action and time to do input versus tabs and hot keys. However, GUI is
easier to sell to an upper level manager impressed by salesmen.

People have pretty much so have gotten use to the concept that the
desktop terminal occasionally locks up or becomes nonresponsive, and
must be rebooted.

Sterling Ball alluded to these myths that one must have Microsoft in
order to do business successfully, which he debunked quite nicely over
the past decade in his business by dumping Microsoft products.

--
HPT

Message has been deleted

DFS

Sep 22, 2010, 8:51:31 PM9/22/10
On 9/22/2010 8:04 PM, High Plains Thumper wrote:

> Sterling Ball alluded to these myths that one must have Microsoft in
> order to do business successfully, which he debunked quite nicely over
> the past decade in his business by dumping Microsoft products.

How do you know he's still running only Linux?

Message has been deleted

High Plains Thumper

Sep 23, 2010, 1:33:06 AM9/23/10
Tattoo Vampire wrote:
> High Plains Thumper wrote:
>
>> The "market" here is dominated by low quality trolls. :-)
>
> Can we send them back for better ones? :-D

Not with MSFT stock at $25.15 a share. :-P

--
HPT

Chris Ahlstrom

Sep 23, 2010, 6:53:24 AM9/23/10
High Plains Thumper posted this message in ROT13 encoding:

Apple and Google are kicking Microsoft's ass in that regard.

--
BOFH excuse #53:

Little hamster in running wheel had coronary; waiting for replacement to be Fedexed from Wyoming

Homer

Sep 23, 2010, 7:21:30 AM9/23/10
Verily I say unto thee, that Chris Ahlstrom spake thusly:

> High Plains Thumper posted this message in ROT13 encoding:
>> Tattoo Vampire wrote:

>>> Can we send them back for better ones? :-D
>>
>> Not with MSFT stock at $25.15 a share. :-P
>
> Apple and Google are kicking Microsoft's ass in that regard.

Even Red Hat is kicking Microsoft's ass in that regard (36.75 and growing).

OK, so it's got a way to go to beat Google (516), but at least it's
moving in the right direction, unlike Microsoft (down to 24.61 now).

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| You can't make an omelet without building some bridges
| ... but don't count your bridges until they've hatched
`----

Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) on sky, running kernel 2.6.31.5

12:21:10 up 18 days, 19:39, 0 users, load average: 0.12, 0.04, 0.01

High Plains Thumper

Sep 23, 2010, 8:54:53 PM9/23/10
Homer wrote:
> Chris Ahlstrom spake thusly:

>> Apple and Google are kicking Microsoft's ass in that regard.
>
> Even Red Hat is kicking Microsoft's ass in that regard (36.75 and
> growing).
>
> OK, so it's got a way to go to beat Google (516), but at least it's
> moving in the right direction, unlike Microsoft (down to 24.61 now).

Which reminds me, looking at what filters through advocate posts, the
Wintrolls are taking a similar beating as well. :-P

--
HPT

Message has been deleted

Homer

Sep 24, 2010, 12:11:12 AM9/24/10
Verily I say unto thee, that High Plains Thumper spake thusly:

> Which reminds me, looking at what filters through advocate posts, the

> Wintrolls are taking a similar beating as well. :-P

They've been sliding down /that/ slippery slope for years.

It leads directly to Hell.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| You can't make an omelet without building some bridges
| ... but don't count your bridges until they've hatched
`----

Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) on sky, running kernel 2.6.31.5

05:11:00 up 19 days, 12:29, 1 user, load average: 0.82, 0.47, 0.18

High Plains Thumper

Sep 25, 2010, 4:20:43 AM9/25/10
Gordon wrote:
> Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>
>> Why isn't he in a Windows ng helping people?
>
> Precisely. I've been saying this for some time. As someone who DOES
> try to help the poor helpless Windows users on the MS Answers forum,
> there's NO SIGN AT ALL of any of these so-called Windows "advocates"
> making any attempt at all to help any of their fellow lemmings... I
> can only conclude that they are as technically incompetent in
> Windows as they are ignorant about Linux and they only exist because
> they are paid to do so...

I saw the same kind of nonsense with the Iomega forums a decade ago.
Some poor sap with a bonafide problem with their hardware, albeit Ditto
2GB tape backup, 100 MB cartridge drive, etc., and problems with their
poor quality tech support were flamed, ridiculed, etc. by Iomega
employees, up until they received their pink slips.

There was a lot of wailing and nashing of teeth there.

BTW, the Ditto 2GB tape backup was a piece of crap. I finally tossed it
out still new in the box along with 3 tape cartridges the other day.
Still have the Seagate Connor 4GB tape backup unit. It worked flawlessly.

Defective, poor quality hardware sucks.

--
HPT

High Plains Thumper

Sep 25, 2010, 4:25:13 AM9/25/10
Homer wrote:
> High Plains Thumper spake thusly:
>
>> Which reminds me, looking at what filters through advocate posts,
>> the Wintrolls are taking a similar beating as well. :-P
>
> They've been sliding down /that/ slippery slope for years. It leads
> directly to Hell.

They certainly act like it. Nothing they say has any redeemable character.

--
HPT

High Plains Thumper

Sep 25, 2010, 9:47:50 AM9/25/10
Terry Porter wrote:
> Tattoo Vampire wrote:
>> Homer wrote:
>>
>>> Like it or not, the very sad fact is that Usenet is a dying art.
>>
>> I only linger because I like trolls.
>
> Trollingerer!

Flatfish, Hadron - closet sisters. Troll lingerie!

--
HPT