Linux Will Never Displace Windows of its Leadership Position

Au79

Sep 13, 2006, 1:24:10 AM9/13/06
Interesting article from an economics point of view.

SDA Asia Magazine - Singapore

... Microsoft is a software company, and a defeat in operating systems
would point to the vulnerability of its entire business portfolio. ...

<http://www.sda-asia.com/sda/features/psecom,id,583,nodeid,1,_language,Singapore.html>

DFS

Sep 13, 2006, 2:18:31 AM9/13/06
Au79 wrote:
> Interesting article from an economics point of view.
>
> SDA Asia Magazine - Singapore
>
> ... Microsoft is a software company, and a defeat in operating systems
> would point to the vulnerability of its entire business portfolio. ...
>
> <http://www.sda-asia.com/sda/features/psecom,id,583,nodeid,1,_language,Singapore.html>

This story was posted on cola a couple days ago by cola abuser Karen Hill.

You're like OSS - days late and dollars short.

flatfish+++

Sep 13, 2006, 9:49:54 AM9/13/06

Yea.
The thread where Shysterwitch calls Harvard and Kellogg third rate
institutions or something like that.

hahah!

ray

Sep 13, 2006, 11:08:47 AM9/13/06
On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 22:24:10 -0700, Au79 wrote:

> Interesting article from an economics point of view.
>
> SDA Asia Magazine - Singapore
>
> ... Microsoft is a software company, and a defeat in operating systems
> would point to the vulnerability of its entire business portfolio. ...
>
> <http://www.sda-asia.com/sda/features/psecom,id,583,nodeid,1,_language,Singapore.html>

"Never" is a long ways off.

John Bailo

Sep 13, 2006, 12:38:36 PM9/13/06
Au79 wrote:
> Interesting article from an economics point of view.
>
> SDA Asia Magazine - Singapore
>
> ... Microsoft is a software company, and a defeat in operating systems
> would point to the vulnerability of its entire business portfolio. ...
>
> <http://www.sda-asia.com/sda/features/psecom,id,583,nodeid,1,_language,Singapore.html>

Note: this article, which was posted about earlier, was originally
published in a Harvard Business Review publication -- but that was in 2005!

Yet, yesterday, all of a sudden, when searching for /linux/ in Google
News -- a dozen other newspapers are suddenly referencing and reprinting
this article and, of course, that cluster appeared as first in the sort
order on Google News.

Did someone accidently trip the switch on the FUD machine ?!?

--
Texeme Construct

Ray Ingles

Sep 13, 2006, 1:16:36 PM9/13/06
On 2006-09-13, Au79 <au...@789.edu> wrote:
> ... Microsoft is a software company, and a defeat in operating systems
> would point to the vulnerability of its entire business portfolio. ...
>
><http://www.sda-asia.com/sda/features/psecom,id,583,nodeid,1,_language,Singapore.html>

They picked an inflammatory headline, but the article itself doesn't
come to that conclusion. E.g.:

"First, they looked at the effect of having buyers such as governments
and some large corporations committed to deployment of Linux in their
organisations. They called such buyers strategic... They found that the
presence of strategic buyers together with Linux's sufficiently strong
demand-side learning results in Windows being driven out of the market.
Second, they looked at the role of cost asymmetries... They found that
because OSS implies lower profits for Microsoft, the larger the cost
differences are between Linux and Windows, the less able Microsoft is to
guarantee the survival of Windows."

Another interesting bit:

"Masanell and Ghemawat also showed that it is not all bad news to
Microsoft. They analysed the effect of having forward-looking buyers and
the presence of piracy, and concluded that both benefit Microsoft."

They go on to point out that FUD and piracy can be used by Microsoft to
blunt Linux's growth. However, FUD's become far less effective as Linux
has grown and MS seems to have decided to curtail piracy (e.g. WGA).

Personally, I think they missed out on a few factors - the dramatic
increase in cross-platform and web-based apps which 'lubricates' the
switch between operating systems, for example. I still don't see Linux
'taking over the world' any time soon, and I don't see Microsoft
disappearing by any means, but 'displacing windows of its leadership
position'? Like the paper's authors, yeah, I see that coming.

--
Sincerely,

Ray Ingles (313) 227-2317

"[Linux's goal is] total world domination. But in a good way."
- John Schwartz