[News] [Rival] Microsoft is Stacking the US OOXML TC (Yes, Again)

1 view

Roy Schestowitz

Mar 10, 2008, 11:11:22 AM3/10/08
Conflict of interest

,----[ Quote ]
| In the latest demonstration of how broken the process is the US V1 technical
| committee voted on Friday to recommend approval of OOXML in a 17-4 vote,
| where Microsoft and no fewer than 11 of its business partners voted in favor
| of the specification. Am I the only one to see a major conflict of interest
| at play in this?
`----

http://lehors.wordpress.com/2008/03/09/conflict-of-interest/

Microsoft did the same in Denmark, with business partners like Stocholm. He
would try to deny this.

Microsoft: where the only international 'standard' is cheating.

Days ago:

Update: U.S. likely to maintain 'yes' vote for OOXML in ISO

,----[ Quote ]
| As the U.S. delegate to ISO, INCITS had supported OOXML's failed ratification
| last September.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9067338&intsrc=news_ts_head

Related:

Microsoft Looks for the Big Guns in OOXML In-Fighting

,----[ Quote ]
| Bill Gates has reportedly been making phone calls to the Secretary of Defense
| and the Secretary of Commerce to push the American National Standards
| Institute to ignore the votes of its advisory committees and vote "yes" on
| ISO standardizing Microsoft's Open Office XML (OOXML) format, the one in
| competition with the OpenDocument Format (ODF) pushed by IBM and Sun.
|
| Gates reportedly picked up the phone when the last INCITS ballot failed by
| one vote to support Microsoft.
`----

http://xml.sys-con.com/read/419573_p.htm

How the Game is Played: INCITS V1 Narrowly Votes Down OOXML

,----[ Quote ]
| As significantly, Rob reports that a very dramatic increase in the membership
| of V1 was observed in the months leading up to the vote – most of whom were
| coincidentally were representatives of Microsoft business partners, and the
| great majority of whom voted as a block in favor of advancing the
| specification in a manner that would permit, and against any vote that would
| prevent, final approval as an ISO/IEC standard.
`----

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20070715200544734

Packing The Court At The ISO?

,----[ Quote ]
| ...P member countries ('participating member' countries) sending
| representatives, and I am interested to note the majority of
| their representatives are, as individuals, also Microsoft employees.
|
| [...]
|
| How can they not see that OOXML (ECMA 376) is unwanted by anyone outside of
| Microsoft? How about it Brian Jones? Are you really so desperate that you
| have to resort to that?
`----

http://lnxwalt.wordpress.com/2007/03/23/packing-the-court-at-the-iso/

OOXML Fails to Gain Approval in US

,----[ Quote ]
| On Friday July 13th, INCITS V1 met via teleconference for 3 hours but failed
| to reach a 2/3 consensus necessary to recommend an "Approval, with comments"
| position on Microsoft "Office Open XML" (OOXML) document specification.
`----

http://www.robweir.com/blog/2007/07/ooxml-fails-to-gain-approval-in-us.html

Probe into votes on Microsoft standard

,----[ Quote ]
| The European Commission is investigating the process under which a key
| Microsoft document format could be adopted as an industry standard - a move
| that would carry significant commercial benefits for the software company.
|
| Officials at the European Commission's competition directorate have written
| to members of the International Organisation for Standardisation, asking how
| they prepared for votes in September and later this month on acceptance of
| Microsoft's OOXML document format as a worldwide standard. Without ISO
| acceptance, Microsoft could stand to lose business, particularly with
| government clients, some of which are becoming increasingly keen to use only
| ISO-certified software.
|
| The ISO process has been widely criticised, however, with some members of
| national standards' bodies accusing Microsoft and its rivals of attempting to
| influence the vote.
|
| Tim Bray, a member of the Canadian national standards body, called the
| procedure "complete, utter, unadulterated bullshit" in a recent blog posting.
|
| [...]
|
| In addition, in several countries, a large number of Microsoft partners
| joined the national standards organisations just ahead of a vote on the issue
| in September.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft said it openly encouraged its partners to participate in the ISO
| process, but was not funding any third parties doing so. The company said it
| would cooperate with the European Commission's inquiry.
`----

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/88e570a2-ea56-11dc-b3c9-0000779fd2ac.html?nclick_check=1

Jesper Lund Stocholm

Mar 10, 2008, 12:00:13 PM3/10/08
Roy Schestowitz <newsg...@schestowitz.com> wrote in

> Conflict of interest
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| In the latest demonstration of how broken the process is the US V1
>| technical committee voted on Friday to recommend approval of OOXML in
>| a 17-4 vote, where Microsoft and no fewer than 11 of its business
>| partners voted in favor of the specification. Am I the only one to
>| see a major conflict of interest at play in this?

So if you took away the 11 business-partners and Microsoft - it would still
be a 5-4 vote in favour of OOXML

:o)

> http://lehors.wordpress.com/2008/03/09/conflict-of-interest/
>
> Microsoft did the same in Denmark, with business partners like
> Stocholm. He would try to deny this.

Dear Roy, again you seem to go after me personally. Could you please be
specific to what happened in Denmark? The last time I looked at the list of
participating organisations in the Danish mirror committee to JTC1/SC34,
there was a slight overweight of OOXML-opponents. Also - in Denmark the
committe does not vote on the subject - it does not even give a
recommendation to the Danish Nation Standards Body. We just deal with the
technicalities of the proposed standard (be that ODF or OOXML or PDF etc)
and make sure that the Danish interests are well taken care of.

--
Jesper Lund Stocholm
http://idippedut.dk

Moshe Goldfarb

Mar 10, 2008, 12:11:12 PM3/10/08
On 10 Mar 2008 16:00:13 GMT, Jesper Lund Stocholm wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz <newsg...@schestowitz.com> wrote in
>
>> Conflict of interest
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| In the latest demonstration of how broken the process is the US V1
>>| technical committee voted on Friday to recommend approval of OOXML in
>>| a 17-4 vote, where Microsoft and no fewer than 11 of its business
>>| partners voted in favor of the specification. Am I the only one to
>>| see a major conflict of interest at play in this?
>
> So if you took away the 11 business-partners and Microsoft - it would still
> be a 5-4 vote in favour of OOXML
>
> :o)

Roy Schestowitz is a student of the "new math".
He is definitely on the leading edge of the technology but for some odd
reason his figures never seem to match anyone else's.

>> http://lehors.wordpress.com/2008/03/09/conflict-of-interest/
>>
>> Microsoft did the same in Denmark, with business partners like
>> Stocholm. He would try to deny this.
>
> Dear Roy, again you seem to go after me personally. Could you please be
> specific to what happened in Denmark? The last time I looked at the list of
> participating organisations in the Danish mirror committee to JTC1/SC34,
> there was a slight overweight of OOXML-opponents. Also - in Denmark the
> committe does not vote on the subject - it does not even give a
> recommendation to the Danish Nation Standards Body. We just deal with the
> technicalities of the proposed standard (be that ODF or OOXML or PDF etc)
> and make sure that the Danish interests are well taken care of.

You were at the meeting.

Roy Schestowitz has a "reliable source".

--
Moshe Goldfarb
Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

Erik Funkenbusch

Mar 10, 2008, 2:33:22 PM3/10/08
On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 15:11:22 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Conflict of interest
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| In the latest demonstration of how broken the process is the US V1 technical
>| committee voted on Friday to recommend approval of OOXML in a 17-4 vote,
>| where Microsoft and no fewer than 11 of its business partners voted in favor
>| of the specification. Am I the only one to see a major conflict of interest
>| at play in this?
> `----
>
> http://lehors.wordpress.com/2008/03/09/conflict-of-interest/

Even if this were true, wouldn't it still be 6-4 in favor?

Tim Smith

Mar 10, 2008, 3:05:59 PM3/10/08
In article <Xns9A5DACF8CEA...@130.225.247.90>,

Jesper Lund Stocholm <jls...@lundstocholm.invalid> wrote:
> > Microsoft did the same in Denmark, with business partners like
> > Stocholm. He would try to deny this.
>
> Dear Roy, again you seem to go after me personally. Could you please be
> specific to what happened in Denmark? The last time I looked at the list of
> participating organisations in the Danish mirror committee to JTC1/SC34,
> there was a slight overweight of OOXML-opponents. Also - in Denmark the
> committe does not vote on the subject - it does not even give a
> recommendation to the Danish Nation Standards Body. We just deal with the
> technicalities of the proposed standard (be that ODF or OOXML or PDF etc)
> and make sure that the Danish interests are well taken care of.

Cue Linonut now to kiss Roy's ass...

--
--Tim Smith

Hadron

Mar 10, 2008, 3:11:11 PM3/10/08
Tim Smith <reply_i...@mouse-potato.com> writes:

Can he kiss while his tongue is still trapped in Roy's sphincter?

Aftab Singh

Mar 10, 2008, 4:48:32 PM3/10/08

Linonut

Mar 10, 2008, 5:26:45 PM3/10/08

So much for your calling /me/ a troll, hmmm?

Illogical hypocrite.

--
There are no significant bugs in our released software that any significant
number of users want fixed.

Hadron

Mar 10, 2008, 5:48:31 PM3/10/08
Linonut <lin...@bollsouth.nut> writes:

> * Tim Smith peremptorily fired off this memo:

>>> Dear Roy, again you seem to go after me personally. Could you please be
>>> specific to what happened in Denmark? The last time I looked at the list of
>>> participating organisations in the Danish mirror committee to JTC1/SC34,
>>> there was a slight overweight of OOXML-opponents. Also - in Denmark the
>>> committe does not vote on the subject - it does not even give a
>>> recommendation to the Danish Nation Standards Body. We just deal with the
>>> technicalities of the proposed standard (be that ODF or OOXML or PDF etc)
>>> and make sure that the Danish interests are well taken care of.
>>
>> Cue Linonut now to kiss Roy's ass...
>
> So much for your calling /me/ a troll, hmmm?
>
> Illogical hypocrite.

No. That is you. Lying. Shilling. Kissing arse. Time after time after time.

Linonut

Mar 10, 2008, 6:39:42 PM3/10/08
* Linonut peremptorily fired off this memo:

> * Tim Smith peremptorily fired off this memo:

>>> Dear Roy, again you seem to go after me personally. Could you please be
>>> specific to what happened in Denmark? The last time I looked at the list of
>>> participating organisations in the Danish mirror committee to JTC1/SC34,
>>> there was a slight overweight of OOXML-opponents. Also - in Denmark the
>>> committe does not vote on the subject - it does not even give a
>>> recommendation to the Danish Nation Standards Body. We just deal with the
>>> technicalities of the proposed standard (be that ODF or OOXML or PDF etc)
>>> and make sure that the Danish interests are well taken care of.
>>
>> Cue Linonut now to kiss Roy's ass...
>
> So much for your calling /me/ a troll, hmmm?
>
> Illogical hypocrite.

As far as asses go, picture me flopping around like a carp, kicking my
own ass :-)

--
There are people who don't like capitalism, and people who don't like PCs. But
there's no one who likes the PC who doesn't like Microsoft.[3]