Gnome-screensaver ... nice touch

[H]omer

Feb 5, 2008, 11:31:51 PM2/5/08
Usually I just stick with xscreensaver, but feeling adventurous I had a
look at Gnome's replacement. With the screen locked, if you interrupt
the screensaver you have the option "Leave message" ... presumably so
all your work colleagues can leave "fat bastard" messages for you on
your machine while you're at lunch. Once the screensaver kicks back in,
further messengers can't see previous messages, since they're not
displayed again until Joe "fat bastard" User returns from lunch and
enters his password.

No more passwords and other confidential memos on StickIt notes
plastered all over the monitor ... another security plus for Linux.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "There would be in the license, a caveat which forbids publishing a
| distro until it has been approved by an OSS committee." ~ Comrade
| Hardon Quirk, communist party member.
`----

04:31:09 up 47 days, 2:07, 4 users, load average: 0.26, 0.14, 0.10

Moshe Goldfarb

Feb 6, 2008, 2:38:14 PM2/6/08
On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 04:31:51 +0000, [H]omer wrote:

> Usually I just stick with xscreensaver,

Yawwn.......
Is this what Linux advocacy has sunk to?
Don't you guys have anything more interesting to talk about than patents
and screen savers?

--
Moshe Goldfarb
Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

Hadron

Feb 6, 2008, 2:49:52 PM2/6/08
"[H]omer" <sp...@uce.gov> writes:

> Usually I just stick with xscreensaver, but feeling adventurous I had a
> look at Gnome's replacement. With the screen locked, if you interrupt
> the screensaver you have the option "Leave message" ... presumably so
> all your work colleagues can leave "fat bastard" messages for you on
> your machine while you're at lunch. Once the screensaver kicks back in,
> further messengers can't see previous messages, since they're not
> displayed again until Joe "fat bastard" User returns from lunch and
> enters his password.
>
> No more passwords and other confidential memos on StickIt notes
> plastered all over the monitor ... another security plus for Linux.

Is it compatible with dual screens? Can it use the xscreesnaver screen
savers?

The leave message is nice.

The stability isn't. I switched to xscreensaver.

Jim Richardson

Feb 6, 2008, 8:18:27 PM2/6/08

Life is too short to be taken seriously.
-- Oscar Wilde