[News] [Rival] Vista 7 Disaster: Fails to Sell More PCs -- Even Worse Than Vista

Roy Schestowitz

Nov 15, 2009, 9:39:53 PM11/15/09

No Boost in PC Sales After Windows 7

,----[ Quote ]
| The story also notes that a PC sales upswing is
| unlikely for 2009, “due to most Windows Vista
| users not needing to replace their PCs in order
| to upgrade to Windows 7.”
`----

http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/10/no-boost-in-pc-sales-after-windows-7/

PC demand did not grow significantly after Windows 7 launch, say PC vendors

,----[ Quote ]
| Demand for PCs and hardware did not turn strong
| after the launch of Windows 7 in late October
| and is unlikely to do so in 2009 due to most
| Windows Vista users not needing to replace
| their PCs in order to upgrade to Windows 7,
| while some users are waiting for Microsoft to
| release Windows 7's first service pack,
| according to sources at PC vendors.
`----

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20091106PD213.html

Recent:

A Day to Remember: 23 April, 2009

,----[ Quote ]
| And there's another reason why yesterday was significant: Microsoft announced
| what are probably its worst quarter results ever:
|
| Microsoft Corp. today announced revenue of $13.65 billion for the third
| quarter ended March 31, 2009, a 6% decline from the same period of the prior
| year. Operating income, net income and diluted earnings per share for the
| quarter were $4.44 billion, $2.98 billion and $0.33 per share, which
| represented an increase of 3% and declines of 32% and 30%, respectively, when
| compared with the prior year period.
|
| Now, the global financial crisis certainly contributed to those figures, but
| I think there's a bigger underlying trend here, which is that the Microsoft
| money machine is faltering.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/blogs/index.cfm?blogid=14&entryid=2136

Microsoft slashes rates for temp workers, blaming bad economy

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft, citing the "realities of a deteriorating economy," will reduce by
| 10 percent the amount it pays employment agencies for many of its temporary
| workers -- and cut by 15 percent the target billing rate for future temporary
| work.
`----

http://www.techflash.com/microsoft/Microsoft_slashes_rates_for_temp_workers_blaming_bad_economy_40321577.html

Microsoft reaffirms grim outlook for year

,----[ Quote ]
| Shares of Microsoft sank 58 cents, or 3.4 percent, to $16.63 in midday
| trading amid a broader market sell-off.
`----

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008780059_apmicrosoftanalystmeeting.html?syndication=rss

Leaked copies of Windows 7 RC contain Trojan

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows 7 RC, which Microsoft Corp. will officialy launch tomorrow, leaked
| two weeks ago, with copies first appearing on BitTorrent tracking sites on
| April 24.
|
| Some of the pirated builds include a Trojan horse, numerous users said in
| message forums and in comments on BitTorrent sites such as Mininova.org.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/301891/leaked_copies_windows_7_rc_contain_trojan

Windows 7: 83% Of Businesses Won't Deploy Next Year

,----[ Quote ]
| The survey, of more than 1,100 IT professionals, is one of the first
| extensive looks at Windows 7's early sales prospects. It found that a
| whopping 83% of enterprises plan to skip the OS in its first year. While the
| business market typically tends toward caution when it comes to new products,
| the figure is nonetheless surprising given that almost no large companies
| migrated to Vista and as a result most have been using XP much longer than
| planned.
|
| [...]
|
| The open source Linux OS also could benefit from slow uptake of Windows 7 in
| the enterprise market, as could Google's Android OS -- which some computer
| makers are reportedly testing as a netbook platform. Fifty percent of those
| surveyed by Dimensional Research said they've considered switching to a
| non-Windows OS to avoid Vista or Windows 7
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/operatingsystems/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=216500331&subSection=News

The Windows 7 beta testing disaster

,----[ Quote ]
| So what are Windows 7’s damning problems?
|
| –Windows usage is on the decline, and while Windows XP was an acceptable OS
| from the standards of 2001, both the Mac OS X and Linux distributions such as
| Ubuntu have matured. Microsoft also launched many other business ventures
| that it had hoped to subsidize entirely as loss leaders using Windows and
| Office sales to run the other guys out of business, but with sales of those
| faulting combined with massive XBOX 360 hardware failures, giving up on the
| Zune 2 years in with 4% of the market, and failing to put a chink in Google’s
| services, Microsoft is getting desperate.
|
| –They’re not listening to real users, they’re listening to a focus group if
| that, and the focus group gave us the McLean Deluxe, which was a total
| disaster for McDonalds. But unlike McDonalds, Microsoft has the advantage of
| no competitors. If we want to put Windows in the McLean Deluxe analogy,
| Windows thrives because all restaurants are McDonalds, all grocery stores are
| closed, and the only thing on the menu is the mystery meat. At least til
| lately.
|
| –Abusing their OEM partners for years hasn’t won them any friends, and
| mainline PC vendors such as HP and Dell are marketing Linux systems now with
| no Microsoft Tax. This isn’t helped by the fact that the only thing Microsoft
| has that is nimble enough to run on the Netbooks that they totally failed to
| see coming is 8 years old (XP) and that they are giving Windows away in a
| massive dumping operation to keep Linux off these things, because Linux is
| far more capable.
|
| –There’s no way to actually file detailed bugs and communicate with Windows
| developers or to have any ETA on a patch if one is coming. If you need help
| it costs $49.99 per incident to get someone that probably knows less than you
| do on the phone. You can’t just go to an IRC room and talk to the person that
| wrote it.
|
| –Windows 7 is in short, Vista all over again. It may be masquerading as a
| huge upgrade but the changes have been trivial, superficial, and usually skin
| deep at best, and “eat my data” and “fail to even load my program” at worst.
| Even my dad saw it running on my test system while he was over the other day
| and thought it was Vista. I had to point to the Windows 7 build number on the
| desktop because there’s almost no way to tell them apart otherwise.
`----

http://izanbardprince.wordpress.com/2009/04/14/the-windows-7-beta-testing-disaster/

bbgruff

Nov 16, 2009, 8:32:15 AM11/16/09
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> No Boost in PC Sales After Windows 7
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The story also notes that a PC sales upswing is
> | unlikely for 2009, “due to most Windows Vista
> | users not needing to replace their PCs in order
> | to upgrade to Windows 7.”
> `----

http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/10/no-boost-in-pc-sales-after-windows-7/

Well, not for want of trying.
I called in at PC World for a lead the other day, and it looked to me as
though every computer that was switched on (the large majority of those on
display) was running Windows 7.
It could be that every computer in the shop had it installed, but certainly
2/3 did.

They had a slogan - large posters/banners all over the place:-

WINDOWS 7
- time to buy a new computer

In addition, of course, we must remember that at Amazon, the pre-order sales
were higher than for anything previous, and described as "unprecedented"
and "record breaking". I believe that the previous "record holder" was the
last Harry Potter book - but we perhaps ought to note that Harry Potter
wasn't offerred at "63% off"?

All that said, there's a certain inevitability about the uptake, isn't
there? Certainly from the consumer point of view, the overwhelming
majority are going to "freely choose" Windows 7, rather than Windows 7 or
Windows 7 or Windows 7.....

Roy Schestowitz

Nov 16, 2009, 6:14:57 PM11/16/09